Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 117859 times)

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #750 on: April 08, 2016, 11:32:27 PM »
Conquest route on Fates has a number of enemies who 'cheat' with unobtainable skills, but AFIAK it's also completely fair in that all of them are visible skills screen instead of being hidden in the code. For instance, later on there are some enemy reinforcements with a skill that prevents you from getting any exp from killing them, to make it clear that the enemies are there to make you hurry up rather than be a source of exp to farm. You can see the skill on their status screen to distinguish them from other enemies of the same class who do give exp.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: April 08, 2016, 11:57:51 PM »
Any attack from the first giant lady OHKOed. The final boss' sphere explosion (esp. the one at the beginning of the third phase) Fennel's last attack from her combo below half HP. Maybe others?

I meant unpredictable, as in, too hard to avoid the first time you see it (so it results in a game over), but once you know the timing and get used to it they all are easy enough to dodge. That final boss death was annoying though.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #752 on: April 09, 2016, 04:59:32 AM »
So FF7's multi-part release thing is apparently supposed to be considered more of a multi-game thing. Apparently each part is going to be released as a full self-contained game for full price. And no word on how many parts, but Kitase likens it to FF13's multiple games, so probably 3?

...this is terrible.

I mean, if the games are all good, then I'll pay however much they want for it. But let's be honest...

At least Bravely Second doesn't suck.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: April 09, 2016, 05:21:39 AM »
So FF7's multi-part release thing is apparently supposed to be considered more of a multi-game thing. Apparently each part is going to be released as a full self-contained game for full price. And no word on how many parts, but Kitase likens it to FF13's multiple games, so probably 3?

Just heard about it myself.  They also stated that "nothing is untouchable" as far as changing stuff goes.  Given how Kitase loved to retcon shit, and change stuff, I get the feeling this "remake" is more of a "reimagining" in that it's going to be basically a whole new story using the same characters and setting, and a plotline that loosely follows the original game.  Considering that it sounds like the first "game" in this release is going to take place entirely in Midgar, that means the Midgar arc is going to be EVEN LONGER.

Situations like this show just how much of a bullet we dodged with Crisis Core, frankly; that was a game that could have been a complete train-wreck retcon mess if Kitase was left to do whatever the hell he wanted, instead of actually respecting the game people cared about.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #754 on: April 09, 2016, 06:23:01 AM »
Considering that it sounds like the first "game" in this release is going to take place entirely in Midgar, that means the Midgar arc is going to be EVEN LONGER.

Midgar is the best part of the original game though so that seems okay.  Them stretching the second continent, which is already full of a bunch of things that should be sidequests in a game where all you do is chase the main villain, is much more of a problem.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: April 09, 2016, 10:36:25 AM »
They could give it the Lufia 2 treatment where they really smooth over the standard JRPG rhythm of moving from town to town.  In theory I also approve of expanding the Midgar plot and getting some real work done on Shinra and all.

It isn't ideas I am opposed to for any other reason than they literally don't fucking have to that and make bank and a ton of people happy.

I don't think I noted

Borderlands The Presequel - Played through with brothers and a friend the other week.  I was Jack body double.  I came out thinking it was Borderlands 2 -------.  It was okay to run through once, but not really interested in DLC or harder modes.   The O2 mechanics are dreadful early on and then eventually become meaningless.  Jump physics are fucked.  You can use it to get around a bit but it mostly just feels like an excuse to have bad platforming puzzles and shit map design. Your jump arc is huge and slow and you have fuck all air control.  Butt stomping has its plusses, but meh. There is jump pads.  Sometimes you need to use a thing to make jump pads jump you far enough, otherwise they just throw you somewhere useless.  That is useless and doesn't do anything other than make you check for a lever.  I don't even know if they use it to get you to bonus loot ever.

So after that

Borderlands 2 - We replaying this.  Brothers both already have bunch of characters and have played every type.  I just wanted to play Mechromancer again, so essentially we all just playing same stuff we did at release (commando + Sniper for them).  Having way more fun with this.  Just did the Angel fight.  Having 200 some Keys to just fuck around with helps keep it breezy.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 10:41:52 AM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: April 09, 2016, 02:09:58 PM »
FE Fates: This seems totally fair.

Finished up C25 and did a very late Midori paralogue (had it available for awhile, not actually doing it).  Now I need to go run the gold DLC map again if I want to be "efficient" with my XPs for Eternal Seals since both Xander & Camilla capped out.  Sigh.

C25 was...  interesting design.  They definitely minutely thought out that layout & enemy spread, for all that holy crap Entrap/Freeze are practically necessities there AND having some kind of Xander/Effie/Benny super-tank.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: April 09, 2016, 06:15:32 PM »
KHUx:  Saved up 3000 jewels for a 10 pull.  Got two 5-stars (you're guaranteed at least one), Simba and Hayner.  Got enough medals to work with now, will sit on the rest of my jewels until some kind of promotion or to unlock more avatar boards for stat nodes.  Up to quest 70.

MAA2:  Drax, Hawkeye, and She-Hulk are all level 20+.  Picked up Captain America as 7 day freebie because I lacked a tactician.  Drax still being my workhorse.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 09, 2016, 11:39:15 PM »
Hyper Light Drifter: I finished this.

Well that was some uncompromising beast of a game. I really wasn't expecting this when it appeared on Kickstarter! Fighting stayed awesome all the way through, and the non fighting part of the game, AKA the hunt for hidden $$$, was always fun and rewarding because upgrades helped immensely. This unfortunately led to the tendency to Hug All Walls just in case there's a secret, even though 90% of secrets were hinted without the need to Hug All Walls. Ah well. Those 10% made it count.

The game shines the most during the amazing boss battles.
I had no resets against the first two bosses I fought (north and west) so I thought that I was the DL's official MVP, better than Tide. But then the archer miniboss killed me 10 or so times, and the final boss about as many times.

Storywise I feel like I know even less now than when I started the game.

Very much recommended. 10 pink vomit out of 10.

NG+ in this game = You start with almost all the upgrades, but have 2 max health instead of 5. No. No no no no no no no.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #759 on: April 10, 2016, 02:37:54 AM »
They could give it the Lufia 2 treatment where they really smooth over the standard JRPG rhythm of moving from town to town.  In theory I also approve of expanding the Midgar plot and getting some real work done on Shinra and all.

It isn't ideas I am opposed to for any other reason than they literally don't fucking have to that and make bank and a ton of people happy.

If they give the towns more to do in the story than the sort of hamfisted first-time-GM "Now it's your turn to explain your character's backstory.  Now it's your turn to explain you character's backstory. Now it's your turn..." that would be a massive improvement.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: April 10, 2016, 03:25:49 AM »
Assassins creed 3 - Everyone is always lol unity bugs amirite??.?  This heap of shit still has repeatable bugs that interfere with core gameplay that. We're never fixed.  So end game, I was down a convoy, constantly swapped one pistol back to something I had equipped half way through the game and my final few missions had consistent intermittent crashes and the occasional camera problem with the camera deciding to clip through the ground when I am actually up on a third story building.

I also finally learned that radial menus aren't the worst thing in the world.  You could have full screen pop ups that rely on you holding a key and having UI elements look like tutorial messages.

I only discovered how to send assassins on missions in the final chapter.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 10, 2016, 03:57:45 AM »
Salt and Sanctuary: Magic mode done. It's funny how boss difficulty wound up being a lot different with some of them this time. I struggled with some that were easy on the first run and aced others that had been hard. Magic can be outrageously broken for any boss with an elemental weakness, but sometimes you can be in for a real slog if you hit resistances (the last boss was suddenly a very notable endurance marathon, I had to spam familiars and run away a lot), in which case slapping poison on the sword and doing it the old-fashioned way sometimes turned out to be a lot more practical. It's really nice to have the option of ranged nukes when you need them, but it's also hard to spam spells in a long fight without wearing yourself down. This is kind of why I feel that guns were more valuable to me in my first run than offensive magic actually was in this one--gun ammo is functionally infinite since bullets are so cheap, and they don't eat away at your stamina bar either. Fireball barrage is an immensely satisfying way to hose down an enemy, though.

So while I was finishing that, I also took the time to join and then abandon all the other religions (there's a trophy for each of them). This has some odd consequences. People from your old mob will chastise you but still do business if you'd left vendors at their sanctuaries. That part's okay! What's less okay is that in order to join the SUPER SECRET death cult, you need to desecrate the sanctuary of a group you'd formerly belonged to. This is basically the less peaceful version of using the conversion item that just kicks everybody out of the sanctuary and blank slate resets it--this way, every vendor in the room goes hostile and then waves of guards show up to try and murder you.

It turns out that isn't a temporary inconvenience, word gets out and once I wandered into another shrine of The Three--the group I had previously spent most of the game converting sanctuaries to--everyone there attacked me too. So briefly there was this scary moment when nowhere was safe and all my former compatriots were rightfully out to murder me for being a dick! But it turns out I can pay another NPC a meager amount of salt to just make everyone forget what I did, so whatevs. Well, it was a neat idea at least. Also when you abandon one religion your rank in it gets completely reset. So when I later rejoined the one I actually wanted to be part of, I had to go back and re-farm all the crap items I'd used to rank it up the first time. (You don't really need to spend any significant amount of time farming in order to max out rank the first time, since you tend to find a lot of this junk naturally just exploring...but this time I'd already spent everything I'd previously accumulated and had no choice but to farm it all anew.) This is actually important since rank boosts contribute to your healing supplies.

I do like some of the specific visual details that come with each group, though--they each have their own distinct sprites for each of the vendor types, for the tombstones that mark player death sites, and for the healing items that you restock when resting in a sanctuary (some of which items may or may not be slightly different mechanically, I'm not really sure--at the least, I know one of them will definitely poison you if you chug it too frequently, which is hilarious).

Afterward, I started, deleted, and restarted a cleric 5-6 times until I finally got a kill on the tutorial boss. Platinum acquired! In-game, the reward for this is actually fairly huge: enough salt for like a dozen extra levels right out of the gate, another black pearl (skill upgrade item) thrown in for good measure, and a couple high-end weapon upgrade items that are normally available only singly or doubly and in the last 5% of the game. Wow. Also he drops a big pile of gold that you can't get because your character freezes for the ensuing narration, but whatever, you don't care about gold in this game pretty much ever. Dumb fight though, he only really has two different attacks for you to remember but he has a thousand HP and you deal single-digit damage so it's like ten minutes of don't make a mistake or you die.

Anyway, since it's a shame to waste all that cool stuff, and because I haven't messed with prayer at all yet, I might as well run with this. It's a short game (magic mode would've been an easy 10-hour replay if I hadn't fucked up so badly with my religion) and there's still a few days before DS3, so hey. It's been pretty neat so far--I dig that Light is both a divine spell in this game and a genuinely useful one, because S&S has some environments that outright demand a torch and that's a problem because I don't have the stats to one-hand my chosen weapon. So instead: cast Light before leaving sanctuary, rest to recover, leave to explore with spell active at no functional cost. Will usually last you a significant fraction of a dungeon dive. Really nice bonus. As for weapon, burrrrrrp copying Fenrir, holy scythe is go. It's amazingly good and pretty much hands-down the best cleric weapon and you get it only like a third into the game. The only statistically superior option I see on a more complete file turns up when there's basically nothing left but the final boss, and is a drop from a hard-to-reach optional fight anyway.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: April 10, 2016, 04:04:38 AM »
Thousand HP?  Single-digit damage?  You should have said so earlier!  That's my jam if nothing else!

I regret every day fist-fighting Asylum Demon.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 10, 2016, 04:12:10 AM »
It's basically like that except black firebombs don't exist.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 10, 2016, 04:25:36 AM »
Hyper Light Drifter update: parked outside the final area/boss hugging walls in search of the final tablet.  Found everything else and it seems rather a shame to crack open an FAQ now.  Will post boss thoughts later.  Mostly my thoughts are: I sure wish I had had upgrades for the west boss.  More like Hindsight Light Drifter amirite?
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: April 10, 2016, 07:42:31 AM »
Final Fantasy Explorers: Just beat Bahamut, which in turn was my 8th Pokemon Eidolon capture, which got me Terra as a result.  On the way I also got Cloud, Lightning and Yuna.

Played around with Dark Knight, Hunter, Time Mage, and Monk as well.  Time Mage seems alright, but I prefer Black Mage if I want ranged nukes, really not a fan of Hunter at all, so probably won't bother with that, Dark Knight seems like an viable alternative to Knight...which is fitting considering this is suppose to be an emulation of Meepel and Meepel is all about the Tanky Swordgirl thing, and Monk was...surprisingly a lot more fun than I was expecting.  Being able to fire Kamehamehas at will and do surprisingly a lot more damage than expected was really nice and plenty of ways to boost.

Cloud boosts physicals, so like Squall he rips enemies apart fast close up.  Omnislash does a shit ton of damage but it's close range and bosses love to move so unless you get them stunned, they're probably not eating all 15 hits.  Never got a chance to use Lionheart or Renzokuken or whatever they're calling Squall's in this case.

Lightning feels like a variant of Cloud, with Gestalt Drive (which really is just Army of One but NOPE! Can't call it by the ACTUAL name of Lightning's Trademark attack, and instead call it by the name of something the entire FF13 cast can do!) being kind of awkward frankly, because she jumps back and in and makes getting the positioning down hard.
...and to be clear, no, it's not a US military thing for why they didn't call it Army of One here, it's just an arbitrary decision.  They had no problem using "Army of One" in all 3 FF13 games, nor Duodecim and I believe it was called "Gestalt Drive" in Japan for her FFE Attack, where that wouldn't be a big deal anyway.  It just feels like a random name distinction that doesn't really fit with the attack, because she's clearly NOT in Gestalt Drive, and it's clearly FFE's best attempt to emulate Army of One.  Had she whipped out out her dual Odin Blades, then I could buy it but nope, she's using the Blazefire Sabre there.

Yuna seems to be Mage/Ranged combat, not sure; I do know that Great Whirl HITS LIKE A TRUCK, despite me playing as Monk at the time.  Plus it's ranged and seems to have half-decent tracking so it's a pretty safe move to use!  Oh yeah, it's FF10-2 Yuna, in case you were wondering.

Terra is good for mage jobs, not shockingly, and Riot Blade is a bajillion sonic booms raining death upon the opponent.  That's...a lot more over-the-top than I was expecting for Riot Blade where it's just been like 2 or 3 Sonic Booms at most, but hey I'm not complaining; it butchers enemies well.

Also I can make the attire of any of the above listed characters, and use their weapons, as well as get a Rikku Cosplay and her Godhand.  Most characters use their trademark weapons, with Terra getting Apocalypse because she lacked a trademark weapon name.  The Apocalypse in this game...well...IT'S A FREAKING GLOWY SWORD!!!  Safe to say, my next goal is to get that weapon, because MEEPEL DEMANDS THE GLOWY!!!

Oh yeah, Sephiroth's outfit (Dissidia variant specifically) and a Class Zero outfit are things I can get too.  I might actually try for the latter.  Class Zero outfit with a Glowy Sword...really all FFE Meepel is missing is her watermelon hair...

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: April 10, 2016, 01:04:16 PM »
Crimson Shroud: Also finished this

That was the most nonsensical purely for shock value ending ever. I quite like BS shock endings but that was quite too far guys.

Music is kinda bad Matsuno, as in it's immediately recognizable as Matsuno and feels repetitive but I couldn't possibly recognize any tune?

There is a part where you have to farm enemies for one required item, and it really dragged the game down.

There are too many skills and battles are too slow and there's too much randomness and the D&D dice fanservice adds nothing. On paper.
In practice it's all really cool because the game is short enough (7 hours)
Writing is excellent aside from the aforementioned ending. The game's also pretty damn ugly but has an unique charming aesthetic.

Pretty solid. No regrets.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: April 10, 2016, 02:04:58 PM »
Was that the Kickstarter'd Matsuno game? Looks like the soundtrack was actually by Sakimoto and the scenario by Matsuno, but I can see how they might be remembered as the same entity given that FFT is a thing which exists.

Sakimoto can and has done excellent work (FFT, BoFV) but can also turn in really generic, forgettable background noise that carries his recognizable sound but no memorable tunes (FF12 squarely landed in this category for me). Sounds like this is the latter.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: April 10, 2016, 02:27:22 PM »
You're right on all points except it's not the kickstarted Matsuno game but the 3DS D&D little game.
Sakimoto is pretty much an extension of Matsuno. I liked FF12's ost more than BOF5's (some cool boss themes in there) but Crimson Shroud's like boring FF12 tracks all the time.

Oh yeah btw, have fun with the cleric in S&S. I really like the pillar of light-ish spell way too much. Impracrical, costly, but hugely fun when you send everybody flying.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 10, 2016, 06:25:54 PM »
FF12's OST I felt was more a result of the game itself rather than Sakimoto.  What I mean is that FF12 is a game that really begs for more atmospheric style tracks that work as background noise more so than your stand out strong songs, if that makes sense.  That said, the fact that games like Xenoblade and FF14 are structured in the same way and have stronger melodies means I can't completely excuse FF12's bland tracks as a result. 

I should be fair and note that not all of FF12's outdoor themes are forgettable; Giza Plains is pretty memorable for example.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: April 11, 2016, 01:02:38 AM »
Oh yeah btw, have fun with the cleric in S&S. I really like the pillar of light-ish spell way too much. Impracrical, costly, but hugely fun when you send everybody flying.

I actually didn't use this much! The few times I tried, it kept missing. I guess the range is really short. Mostly I spammed Light, the weapon buffs (which are totally usable on elemental weapons regardless of what the spell descriptions claim), and later on the sword familiar. The latter is pretty much the only reason I could beat the final. How was this so easy the first time? I'm guessing the answer is guns guns guns, because he's a huge jerkass in melee. He has fairly low poise so spam attack + familiar stabs meant I could kinda stunlock him, except his grab is instant and has no wind-up so I'd still periodically get my attack strings interrupted and my ass tossed across the room. Seriously, that shit is rude. After that, I poked around a little in NG+ to get the resources to build the class 5 divine halberd and that shit is predictably nuts. You can't really take it easy in NG+ even with broke gear though, because even the first bosses are already scaled up to wreck you if you mess up (but flipside, rewards are jacked up too, you can expect to go back to getting 3-4 levels per boss, and there's no real reason not to keep taking them--although for all practical purposes there seems no substantial benefit from raising any stat above 50).

So yeah, game re-re-finished. I may try a full NG+ summertime or something but done for now. Here's a few more random details it took me a while to notice:

-The chargen screen actually has a "challenge" field. I didn't notice that was there until the third run. The options are: Hardcore (I don't know what this does, gonna guess Ironman?), Magic Only/Iron Pot Only/Oar Only (you can only select one of these three at a time), Naked, No Blocking, and No Healing. I actually went with No Blocking for divine build just to see what happens because what the hell, I've never even equipped a shield in this game anyway. And yep, pressing the block button genuinely does nothing with that enabled. Was curious to see whether the game acknowledged a challenge complete during the end or credits, but it evidently does not.

-Your second set of weapons don't actually contribute to your equip burden, only the weapons you're actively using count. This is nice because it means you can have back-up options available without them slowing you down. You can also have the same weapon equipped in both sets, so if you want say two different melee weapons paired with the same wand, that's a-okay.

-I always wonder if the people you see hanged outside the first castle and in random caves around the game represent other players or are just randomly tossed together sprites. I see the pumpkin head on them enough that I have to suspect it's the former.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 01:07:51 AM by El Cideon »

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 11, 2016, 01:39:46 PM »
KHUx:  So apparently I joined the least popular faction (Ursus).  We ended up in 5th place for the week.  But at least the fucking Unicorns didn't win.  I heard they win every week in Japan.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: April 11, 2016, 08:33:41 PM »
Was that the Kickstarter'd Matsuno game? Looks like the soundtrack was actually by Sakimoto and the scenario by Matsuno, but I can see how they might be remembered as the same entity given that FFT is a thing which exists.

Sakimoto can and has done excellent work (FFT, BoFV) but can also turn in really generic, forgettable background noise that carries his recognizable sound but no memorable tunes (FF12 squarely landed in this category for me). Sounds like this is the latter.

I believe the kickstarted Matsuno game is still in development (Unsung Story) because it got delayed when they decided they wanted to add an extra online mode that no one really cared about anyways.
...into the nightfall.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: April 12, 2016, 12:32:28 AM »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: April 12, 2016, 01:40:19 AM »
The kickstarter game technically is not a Matsuno game.
It is just some developers who are Mastuno fans asked matsuno to do stuff.

And why are people still bashing FF12 for it being atmospheric?
They are top notch in artistically value in terms of conveying the environment within the game.
I was rolling my eyes that how much information that Sakimoto cramed into each individual tracks without having them become too stand out or melodic.
Seriously, just where did the trend of "less melody=bad track came" from? Such an equation should never exist.