Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 122486 times)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #950 on: April 26, 2016, 12:40:39 PM »
Playing Skies of Arcadia again.  Trying to get the settings for it in Dolphin running smoothly.  Weirdly, it runs smooth all the time except for at the very start of battles, where the FPS drops to 7.  Experimenting with settings to fix it seems to have corrupted my save so I need to go back to a state, which means that I am replaying the intro again.

You know what should be a mandatory feature in RPGs?  Like, even more than scene skip?  The ability to skip the inevitable hour where you have to run around town and talk to people in your peasant village, and just go straight to the part where it gets set on fire.

Maybe have the game open with a dialogue choice.  "Well, time to go to work!" where you play the intro and "I hope my house isn't on fire"

Parts of Skies of Arcadia have held up wonderfully but yeah it's a slow starter.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: April 26, 2016, 03:11:54 PM »
Also Tide literally ruining PoFEmblemon for me by letting me know you can have third generation children.  I thought breeding was okay even with the hidden EVs and inherited moves from mother/father was okay and controlled mostly by making children rank up to a usable level and being limited to core units breeding. 

Kids can have kids. 

Fuck this game.  THANKS TIED

The best part about this is that because they have all the time travel / distortion doo-hickey, you can literally turn Lissa into a Great Grandmother at the age of 16-18. Get Odin married, then marry his offspring as a male avatar. It is the Eph approved option. AND it works if you like all the eugenics by giving you a 3rd Gen Kana with a great Mag cap!

If I was going to complain about people being in the trash heap that would have been Silas who got so many 2 stat levels I just gave the fuck up.  I had him in the party and got him to 20 and then when was going to level him up went "wait why was I using him again?  I got Xander 2 maps ago and Peri was right there".  I think Peri has better stats 7 levels lower.

Don't be like me and not use Xander. It makes the later chapters a whole lot harder. As for Silas, he's really dependent on actually getting some speed. Dropping him after that many bad level ups is pretty reasonable.

I also want to complain about Selena's Str growth, but not sure if its just FEmale swordsperson Str Growth plot or not.  Using her anyway because fuckdatshit.txt

Selena's weakest stat is her strength, so it's pretty normal. To make up for this, she's decently durable and fast...just not that strong on offense, so giving her a good weapon is a good idea.

I also was on the fence about whether to make her Hero or Bow Knight.  Bow Knight kinda bad, but could just be a shitty knight.  On the other hand she didn't get the Mag to lean on Levin Swords either.  So is Hand Axe >>> +move?  I went with Hand Axe and assumption that Hero has better str growth.

I'm of the opinion that Bow Knight is a pretty bad class, but the big advantage of Bow Knight is that even at E rank Bows, a Bronze Bow can still do a number on flying units. One of the later maps in conquest has flying blitzkrieg, so getting a durable anti-air unit may not be a bad idea. If you already have Hand Axes unlocked, then it might be better. It gives her a stronger 2 range than the Kodachi / Magic Swords and doesn't kill your enemy phase at all.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: April 26, 2016, 05:16:22 PM »
Dark Souls 3: NG+ beaten.  DSA took like seven tries, OTCK and PS took one life each and everyone else was taken out with one go.  CG would have been fifty but I summoned and fuck'im.  It was honestly mostly a breeze.  My absurd HP bar combined with high defenses and the balance between damage and speed of the Dragonslayer Spear carried me damn well.  So glad after three games the spear is actually good now.  Journey 3 is gonna be trickier, as I've essentially peaked stats-wise, as usual.  And my equipment ain't gonna get much better either besides minuscule Ring+2 boosts.  Can't infuse or enchant buff any twinkling/boss weapon, bah.  Dumping a quarter-million souls to gain 2 HP is stupid.  1 ATK and 1 DEF is barely better and there's not much else to do, besides FP, I guess.

Need to clear up the rest of the +1 rings before heading into Journey 3.  And the drudgery of grabbing the Covenant Rings.  The achievement does require the +2 Rings but NG++ has always been required baring trading stuff.

I'd... assume, blessed can be buffed.  Sharp Uchigatana could.  Guess this means hitting every element with one specific weapon is possible, now that I think about it.

Untended Graves: Can't put the Cinders down here, unfortunately.
GHOSTS!: I half-recall four, at least.  But with how the enemies are laid out + lighting it would be easy to miss a fifth.
Making you ugly item: Dark Sigils should be gone, since you need to grab'em from Yoel.  Hollowing, I don't know about.  I think a Purging Stone will clear away the Hollowing too?  I never bothered since I'm just going full Ornstein.
Greirat: Siegward needs to be in the kitchen for him to save Greirat.  Maybe.  As for Patches, he talked to me about Greirat but never asked.  Then he stocked the Horsehoof Ring, unlike NG.  Now, this part is hearsay, but apparently, if Patches still has the Onion Armor, he can actually save Greirat himself, if you tell him where he went.
Rather Large Ending Thing With Insightful Fire Keeper: Talking to the Eyed Fire Keeper near endgame has her mumble a bit more on the Darkness she sees.  She sees little flames.  I presumed these to be other bonfires, and firekeepers.  But she says they're Lords of Cinder.
Married Ending Thing: Usupering the Flame turns the Darksign sun into Humanity.  Interesting...

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfz5Lj4FF7w Hahahahahahaahaha.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 06:32:32 PM by Fudozukushi »

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: April 26, 2016, 08:49:10 PM »
Grefter: yeah, I just 'ported out of that boss fight when I realized what was up, because I couldn't fiddle with inventory while dodging him. Maybe not the most elegant requirement to ask of the player, there! But at least it's an easy walk back to the room.

Fudo: the outcome of that fight does not surprise me at all. That enemy type is fucking broke in DS3. Infinite poise cheapshotting bastards!

And that's exactly what I did with Greirat's quest and the related one. Both times! Hence my confusion.

Probs never getting the ring trophy anyway because I'm not such a fan of murrrderrr.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: April 27, 2016, 01:37:13 AM »
I also want to complain about Selena's Str growth, but not sure if its just FEmale swordsperson Str Growth plot or not.  Using her anyway because fuckdatshit.txt

Edit - I also was on the fence about whether to make her Hero or Bow Knight.  Bow Knight kinda bad, but could just be a shitty knight.  On the other hand she didn't get the Mag to lean on Levin Swords either.  So is Hand Axe >>> +move?  I went with Hand Axe and assumption that Hero has better str growth.

It does have marginally better Str growth, but even more significantly it has 2 more points of Strength at base, so yeah probably the right choice despite my usual defence of more move.

Also I suspect that Fates does reroll 0-stat levels normally, but doesn't reroll levels where you gain nothing because the only stats rolled are capped (which isn't unlikely for a Level 19 Elise). But I'm not certain.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: April 27, 2016, 02:44:55 AM »
DS3: I forgot there was a miracle buff in the dungeon! I should've gone there first except wait no that place is awful. (I also realize I could've picked up the Dark Weapon + Deep Protection combo earlier too, but I didn't for reasons that boil down to me being psychic, I.E. having beaten the game before and then FAQed the hell out of everything.) So I do now have some capacity to brute force my way through the game. Lightning Weapon + Sacred Oath + Deep Protection = approaching 600 attack power, and my chime's not even fully upgraded yet. Pretty nice! Setup eats all my spell slots and a full FP bar, though. Flipside, at 40 FTH, switching my weapon to blessed would still not let the scaling bonuses outdamage a raw weapon. Wow, what is even the point of that infusion? I could go lightning but then I wouldn't be able to buff it and I would definitely underperform as compared to All the Buffs.

Wrath of the Gods is actually not a complete joke! In that the raw damage is quite respectable. The casting time isn't, you will never ever be able to employ this against a boss. Also it takes up two slots. So I just used it to wake up mimics for a little while and then shelved it because I needed more space for buffs. Lingering Dragoncrest much better use of a ring slot then either of the +miracle power rings (since they don't appear to enhance your weapon buffs any).

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: April 27, 2016, 07:01:14 AM »
DS3 - Fuck this laggy piece of shit game.  Fuck the shitty Estus mechanics.  Fuck the terrible duration on Lloyds.  Fuck the fact that every motherfucker runs away the second the encounter is not massively in their favour.  Fuck the Poise system being broken.

Fuck PVP in DS3.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: April 27, 2016, 12:36:06 PM »
DS3 finished and optional bosses beat.  Everything that wasn't pyro did like half the damage.  From.txt.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: April 28, 2016, 12:41:22 AM »
DS3: Stumbled upon the smouldering lake by being really curious. This entire super hidden giant area is optional!?!?!? Man. Only in Souls.
This thing was fanservice heaven, it might even tie Souls to Bloodborne because the underground area looks so much like a chalice dungeon or whatever.

This is also Large Titanite heaven so I upgraded my stabswords to +6. Dex is 40 and Vit is 25. I have a robe. Life is pretty good.
I liked the Abyss walker battle a lot, even though I had no idea what was going on there with the walkers attacking each other.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: April 28, 2016, 01:16:50 AM »
That's one of my favorite fights in DS3 (partly because the music really nails the mood, which it doesn't really do often enough in DS3 for me). The fact that the cult of Artorias has basically the same intro cutscene and is falling apart for basically the same reasons is pretty much the Soulsest plot thing ever. It's a pretty simple fight once you know what's going on, but I like it a lot anyway.

As far as I can discern, the mechanics basically go: there are normal Watches and there are red-eyed Watchers; either group can attack the player but they will also preferentially attack each other if you can stay out of their way. Only the first normal Watcher is actually tied to the boss healthbar. I assume he's the only sane-ish one left trying to purge the group of corrupted influences and the rest are already hollow and/or fallen to the Abyss.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: April 28, 2016, 02:00:58 AM »
Chalice dungeon is right.  It's literally Catacombs' cells given a texture change.

Red-Eyes Watching You: Everywhere says it's ABYSS! without really explaining the reason how.  I mean, I guess red-eye orbs are a thing but the Darkwraiths sure as hell don't have red eyes.

Related to the lovely HAHAHAHAHA above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWgUmszS8yk

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: April 28, 2016, 02:34:17 AM »
The black knight always triumphs.

(I'm actually surprised, I thought that would work out the other way around.)

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: April 28, 2016, 02:03:48 PM »
Ds3

Still playing this, just slowly.

Level is somewhere in the low 90s.

Just got into the library.

Game is so frustrating! The boss right before this area had me rage quit for a few days and gave me bronchitis. Maybe.

I also found a repeat boss. Fuck that guy.

So I have two paths. Slowly trudging through.

I'll get to the end. One day.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: April 28, 2016, 02:36:51 PM »
You are close dude!  Doing really well.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: April 28, 2016, 07:34:37 PM »
Seems like further testing has concluded poise doesn't even affect roll recovery like some suspected. So yeah, Poise literally does nothing in DS3. Incredible. I wonder if it will even be patched.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: April 28, 2016, 10:56:46 PM »
So guys is there anything cooler than the farron greatsword?
My guess is no, and I'm already starting to build my character around it.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: April 28, 2016, 11:41:33 PM »
There is a fire whip and it is stupidly late game.  At least this time you can easily transfer stuff between toons so I can maybe do a Witches Locks run one day.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: April 29, 2016, 12:01:48 AM »
Wait how do you do that?
A fire whip would be cool but it cannot compare. I got to the requisite 12 str needed to wield it w/ both hands and already won the gold medal at the ice skating competition

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: April 29, 2016, 02:10:27 AM »
Oh you need to do it online.  It's just no soul level restriction on white soap stone signs if you are using a password.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: April 29, 2016, 02:38:42 AM »
Witch's Locks is amazingly cool but it's really meant for a pyro build (the good scaling is INT/FTH). The weaponskill just shreds everything and is all kinds of fun to use. Game is pretty much over by the time you get the thing, though.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: April 29, 2016, 04:36:38 AM »
Bravely Second- Just got my first non-Freelancer class and 2nd PC. First class is Witch, which looks look it will be grabbing MT magic damage of various elements and some kind of mechanic that lets Witch chain spells together (like Wall+Fire=Firewall as the boss so used). I elemental defense part could imply that we won't be seeing Spiritmaster this time around (I know that some repeat classes are back, but I don't know which since I'm not looking at FAQs...yet).

Dungeon graphics appear to be a major step up from the first game; the graphical engine looks the same, but they added a lot more depth and little details. The first dungeon was gorgeous.

Seems like you don't kill bosses in this game to get classmarks; or at least, you don't kill the first one. I guess this is because they'll actually be reusing some of these bosses and probably aren't using a world reset plotline this time.
...into the nightfall.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: April 30, 2016, 02:56:01 AM »
I just want to state I find it funny Gref has beat DS3 and I'm only past a tree.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: April 30, 2016, 03:16:06 AM »
I'm staring at the last two bosses (Champion and the final). I had loads of trouble with Nameless Camera Souls and the Twin Camera Souls. Both would have been far easier if the camera weren't somehow worse than DS1's when it decides to be bad.

Uchigatana until Nameless, then I had to switch to the Astora Greatsword, which made him a lot simpler. I feel like DEX is a lot worse in this game than it has been, but it's possible I'm just bad. Watching videos of ENB and others, it looks like even the regular BroadSword outperforms the Uchi in parts I had trouble with. Very curious to try a mage in the future and see if Ashen vs Regular Estus is an interesting decision. I also need to follow a guide to see NPC quests next time; I really failed on that front going blind.

The game is pretty weird in that long sections were very easy, then random bosses were incredibly difficult all of a sudden. I did like the game on the whole about as much as Dark Souls 1 up to this point, but I won't know how I really feel for a year, probably.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: April 30, 2016, 04:32:10 AM »
Koudelka - played through

Got what I'm assuming is the standard ending, given the difference in power between the final boss and the rest of the game. Didn't fight the superboss.

I found the game to be mostly pretty enjoyable, although it started dragging later on, which is a little concerning given how short it is. I could easily see anyone who missed some of the key items and had to go looking for them later having a more negative outlook.

Don't really care for the battle line system or whatever it's more properly known as, at least in the sense of it preventing you from reviving people once enemies are on or past their line. For all that this only came up twice, but both were against bosses (although one was the final, so...).

Early in the game it seems like battles were a lot more involved, with the characters all roaming about attacking enemies and so forth, whereas later on half the time battles were 'James stands around and shoots, Koudelka stands around and attack-magics, James stands around and buff-magics', which I think is one of the major reasons why the game drags later. (The other half the time James had a melee weapon to conserve ammo, but he was still the only one really moving - and given how things ended up going I'm not sure if ammo ever really needed to be conserved.) The battle music was good at least, although it did get a bit old.

The game crashed when I left the room with the rope ladder closet, and at the time I had been operating under the assumption that "temporary saves" were suspend-saves, so unhappily I had to replay a bunch. The game also crashed a number of times at the end of disc 3 due to disc errors, but I can't really fault it for those.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: April 30, 2016, 05:55:18 AM »
Playing Koudelka the first time? That has to be rare in 2016.

Bravely Second- Second classmark is a get. Gladiator (or Charioteer- I can't remember what they called it) looks potentially nasty. The first skill they gain is 20% Attack  (and for only 1 slot?!), so basically everyone spent time to get up to L2. And then L3 is...Triple Wield (the third one is that you can put a weapon in the head slot). So basically, it seems like the first two classes are potentially a mage powerhouse (we'll see if that continues) and a physical powerhouse.

I have seen enemies use spells that were Knight's (Stomp) and Pirate's (Defang) last game, so I wouldn't be surprised to see either return.
...into the nightfall.