Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 117509 times)

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #800 on: April 13, 2016, 03:43:20 AM »
Cid you can use multiple items at once. Select Use Selected and bam pop all 20 fading souls at once.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: April 13, 2016, 04:02:34 AM »
Also my great regret at this time is not changing my character's default hairstyle. I didn't even look at the other options, what the fuck Cid. I won't actually restart because of this but I kind of want to.

WHAT CAN CHANGE THE NATURE OF A MAN?

The wrong hairstyle. 

Reroll scrub you are supposed to be the resident Fashion Soul rep.

Also don't talk shit about those dogs.  You are grossly misrepresenting them.

They are Zombie Dogs bro.  Not regular dogs.

At least they don't breath fire.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: April 13, 2016, 08:53:33 AM »
Dark Souls 3: Prepare to Whine Addition: This was my life for a good while.    Explored the area in-debth some more and — what the bleedin' hell are YOU doin' here!?  Alright, die there.  Not a surprise.  Then die on corpse run, great.  Eventually moved over to fight that boss.  CS was really easy and — oh, there's your gimmick.  DIE.  Round 3: DEATH TO the BOSS!  Then I promptly lose Ember status on never-ending enemy attacks.  Got two Twinkling Titanite, somehow.  This leads to NPC enemies, and the great forest of dog.  Giving way to the Cathedral of the Deep.  I'm coming for you Aldrich!  Just after I get through this graveyard.  And the winding path outside.  Had to make a desperate-ass dash inside but found a shortcut back to the bonfire.

In the Cathedral proper now.  That's a nice big obvious boss — OHSWEETMERCIFULJESUSNO!  RUNRUNRUNRUNRURN EVERYTHING HURTS RUNRUNRUNRURNUN.  SAFE!  Not safe!  Everything's trying to kill me!  Okay, find another shortcut and stuff.  How am I supposed to deal with these things?  Delicious, cheese!  Then enemy chaining seven or so ultra-greatsword attacks without respite ends me.  What a shock.  Clear out everything I can find, and find... a fog door?  What bewitchery is this!?  Hey, there's a boss there.  DotD are fun and unorthodox and I finish it on the first try and...

...oh.  This was just a detour to get a key.  Aldrich's not here.  Well, there's still some unexplored parts around here.  Found a titanite scale, it drops off the giant crsytal enemies which are hilarious.  Learned I really hate worms.  Let's see what this route over here has?  Oh, hey, what are you doing here?  You literally popped into being when I swung my camera around.

Always trust the onion.

I hone my skills to the peak and manage to get 2 large titanite shards!  +4 Uchigatana go.  Lose Ember status dumbly, again.  Can't figure out just how to get across this one gap, so I just head up to the last path I haven't explored and lo and behold, I die.

Still hatin' this super armor and never-stop attackin' enemy scheme.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 02:14:37 PM by Fudozukushi »

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: April 13, 2016, 01:20:14 PM »
Dark souls 3

What the flying fuck.

Being new to the series isn't helping. Impulse buy, and instantly hating it.

Went with a warrior, cause I don't know any better.

1st thing I did in game was waste 2 estus items, cause buttons!

Beat the first boss in 2 tries. Lost a shut ton of souls somehow. If you die twice, the souls that you lost first are gone forever?

Ugh.

Need to spend souls quicker.

2nd boss...
Rooftop gets me, then I burn him. Then I die later. Go back, wait he's back? That wasn't a boss!?! Fuck. Run.

Real 2ND boss?

Dodge under ok. Seems simple. No. Dodge, roll, no frizen, wtf frozen? What are you doing!? Dead.

Running back there leads me to 3 knights who kill me oh so easily. Fuck shields. Gang up is like instant death. I have to find a good way to beat these guys. Died to many times to sound cool explaining the futility.

Dragons helping me farm souls. Cool.

I'm constantly running trying to find new bonfires. Oh enemies come back after you rest. Ok...

So evil. Not sure what I just signed up for.

So I died to the 2nd boss a couple times and gave up last night. Will try a different approach. Dunno.

This game seems easy. I don't know what you guys are complaining about.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: April 13, 2016, 02:15:51 PM »
Dark Souls 3 - So my brother is plenty ahead of me, but wanted a break.  So now my run is a coop run which is mostly ezpz especially when the other person has just done that area a couple of days back.  We are both Pyromancers.  So we got a Pybro run going.

I am going to refrain from going indepth and in no ways will this ruin anything if this is your first run through the games.  But holy fuck if you have a working knowledge of From's previous work this game is a fucking roller coaster ride.

You actually sound like you are doing alright for new to the series Scar.  Suggestions that are generic and frankly apply to all the games and I probably could copy paste from any random time someone started a DS game the last few years.

Stamina is everything, its what keeps you alive and is your offense.
- Learn the rhythm of Stamina with your weapon.  Dumping your whole bar isn't really best, leave a bit to roll away after a flurry is usually a good plan.
- If you are using a shield, it is massively beneficial to not just mash down on the button.  If you let go and press between attacks you will regenerate stamina much more quickly.  Eventually it becomes an instinctive tap rather than a death grip on the button (or you just stop using them).
- Blocking to the point you lose all your stamina will get you stunned and then pain.

Something else that is a little rough in 3 that previous games didn't do so much is enemies definitely punish you holding block a lot more with shield bashes and kicks.

It seems like you already have some of the good concepts down from Bort Bort Bort fight, sometimes the safest place to be is right in the enemies junk.  Up underneath or right near them means you have a lot less travel time for dodging and enemy attacks tend not to be massive hit boxes but actual extensions of their limbs (sometimes which have massive hit boxes).

There is a Long Bow right near the first bonfire in the area you are at.  Even without Dex it is really useful for pulling some of those trickier enemy packs.  For hard enemies they tend not to be connected when you pull, just close enough for you to engage them by proximity.  Plinking an enemy for 1 damage with a bow you can't use then swapping to your real weapon can help you engage on favourable terms.  If you ARE going a dexterity based build then hey its free damage and opens you up to all kinds of cheese strats/sniping when the time is right.  Regardless though before you are used to the way some of the mechanics work a bow is a huge step forward in to making encounters work on your terms rather than funneling you into the ambush the game has set up.

Tiny text for me to spaz out a bit below it is only about things in the first 2 areas after tutorial bits for anyone wanting to avoid stuff.

Yeah okay so like I was expecting some pretty deep self referential shit because it is From.  But I was kinda bonkers when the Demons flew me on to the stair way at the start of the Anor Londo to walk down into the loose dog packs from carts hinted at in the start that 1-3 then completely lost it when there was fat officials.

Then I went back to Firelink at the end of my play sessions are realised there is a guy sitting on one of the giant Thrones of Want inside the Firelink Nexus, talked to him and hear about how this burned up corpse of a man wearing a crown sitting on a Throne of Want used to be a Lord of Cinder.

This fucking game man.  Like.  This isn't normal Dark Souls "This fucking game man, why do I play this it is unpolished weird oblique opaque bullshit".  This is "This fucking game man, it is more self referential than fucking season 9 Family Guy but it is still working on me every single fucking time."

I am only 2 fucking zones in even and read bare rough references in the wiki while looking up items and stuff.  I don't even care if I hate the game at the end of the day.  The season of Bonfireside Chat alone is going to be worth it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 02:17:23 PM by Grefter »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: April 13, 2016, 02:34:37 PM »
Dog Souls 3: Prepare to Doge Addition: Just two small parts left in the Cathedral.  My hi-rise adventures fighting enemies of dubious quality comes to a head with them falling to their deaths almost entirely of their own volition.  After some falls, I get a merchant selling the Catarina set.  Have just enough to buy it all.  Who's onioning NOW!?  Past that is the new Darkwraith covenant held by a creeeeeepy lady.  I check the graveyard outside since I rushed through it earlier and find +2 Estus.  THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN HELPFUL!

On to Farron Keep!  Take in that patented Dark Souls level design right there!  Poison in this game is weaksauce.  This area wouldn't be so bad except you can't even slow run in deep water in this game.  All slowness!  Plenty of familiar faces show up here!  Also dogs.  Dogs everywhere.  And these enemies here look... like...

OH GODS what kind of idjit am I for not noticing this sooner!?  It was right there from the start all along!

Plenty of fabulous loot to be had here.  And it all makes sense.  The Greatsword is down here, for those who care.  Anyway, you have to essentially hit three switches here to open the door of reused asset.  Trudging along I — whaaaat the hell?  I was explicitly told I already killed the last of you!  Whatever, you drop surprisingly good armor now.

Then I die to an enemy.  The battle promptly went I attack x2, enemy super armors, jumps into air and hits me, grabs me instantly, nearly kills me, the grabs me before I even get back up.

Because this place is so huge it takes me a while to find my patch.  Along the way I come across a baffling arrangement of corpses that could not possibly have lost to what apparently killed them.  Also further confirms my theory.

During the run around I find a ladder that leads up to the Watchdgs of Farron covenant.  They seem to be the Forestbros/Bellbros this time around.  Also find my first hidden wall!  With umbreal ashes that let titanite shards be sold for 800.  yessssss

Further up the area I meet...

I suppose it's not a copy-paste boss if it's in another game!  (To be fair the moveset is different but lol.)  There's a nice smattering of loot up here as well and a nice view of Farron Keep where it actually lives up to the name when viewed above.

Anyway, to the Boss!  And apparently I'm not the only one attempting this.  Uh, wow.  Thanks for the armor?

AW fight start.  That sure was an intro.  Okay, you're fast, not-too damaging, my hits actually stagger you and you take damage worse than Vordt.  What's your gimmick?  Alright, that's your gimmick.  Not very impressive, but whatever.  Okay you can do it multiple times — WHAT!?  What the hell is going on?  Oh, I guess that's what that was about?  Whatever, this is still easy enough...  NOT-SO-EASY NOW!  ARGH!  So close to a one-shot win but I got stunlocked before I could ember and finish him.  Second try inevitably goes worse.  3rd is slight better, 4th was an abomination, but on the fifth I'd descerned enough of his patterns to win!  The first Lord of Cinder has fallen.  Or second, whatever.

Let's see what your delicious soul gets me...  Mmm, that's one smexy greatsword you have there.  Hahaha, oh, man, that two-hand LB attack is hilarious.  Gonna go kill the crystal guy in the BEWARE path for more scales.  Finally something to use those on!

NPCs keep popping in Firelink whenever they feel like.  It's weird.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: April 13, 2016, 09:21:31 PM »
I'm wondering if some NPC appearances are triggered by finding certain items? I just mention this because I found some holy book thing in the woods and then when I went home there was a new darkmoon chick who wouldn't talk to me because my faith sucks.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: April 14, 2016, 01:49:37 AM »
I don't think she's a faith check, actually?  My faith was a paltry 9 and she didn't seem too dismissive.  Was just fine when I met her again.

Dark Souls 3: Everything is Dogs: Through the AW bonfire and into the Catacombs of Carthus.  Unsurprise what enemy directly awaits.  Man I love the Farron special attack.  Great for dodging and crowd control!  Nothing spectacular here and — now I'm just calling utter bullshit on that death.  Then I promptly fling myself off a ledge like a dumbass.  Taking a shortcut down, I find they've made skeletons even more than a pain in the ass than before!  Plus the new elite ones are just goddamn absurd but what enemy isn't a huge chain-attacking bastard these days.  Screw it, run past everything who cares!  Sweet, sweet bonfire beyond the big ball o'death.

Doing some more exploring, find the most tame version of pinwheels yet.  Loot, loot, loot.  Well, that's a nice big ominous chasm.  Hey NPC.  Hello stupidly obvious boss room.  Don't wanna fight in this painful-looking room.  Retreat!  RETREAT SOME MORE OHGODS!

Well, that worked out splendidly!  What's down here?

Pain!

Three more deaths later, and there's another bonfire right outside a new area.  Smouldering Lake.  It's really loud and noisy here but I can't tell from what.  Oh, pain.  DUH!  Too distracted by that to freak out about the new enemy.  Grab loot, look for the exit...  Oh, hey, Crystal Lizard that dropped a titanite chunk, coolio.  Hey, you, time to die!  Okay, let's keep going onwards and...  why are...  oh good lords all the enemies here are Embered!  Run-run-run-run-run!  Hey, that looks like the way forward!  This looks familiar...  And that looks like and enemy I don't want to fight  Homeward away!

Alright, round 2!  It dies.  Then... bloatheads?  Really?  Uh, okay...  Find another bonfire.  After that is a pile of very familiar corpses.  Okay, yeah, this is definitely...  And more bodies, just strewn across the whole zone forward.  Practically paved the roads forward.  After a brutal fight against six enemies at once I find a bonfire and a fog door right nearby.  Turns out its right next to the lake proper.  Cheese the enemy here, grab some loot and — now that's a very unexpected shield to find.  Bye bye grass crest.  So, got two bosses going forward, probably.  Some more exploration in...  Well, that bonfire just outright confirms it, lol.  Catacombss and Lake still have stuff.  Tell NPC a thing before going for the Catacombs Boss.

I... can't say I was expecting that.  SWEET JIMMY JESUS!  WHAT DO I DO HOW DO I HURT THIS IT HAS A BAZILLION HP AHHHHHHHH!  Okay, HLW, I see, right, I can do this, it's not so difficult and my HP is absurd too!  HAHA!  Ace it, first try!

This opens the way to Irithyll of the Boreal Valley.  That's some nice scenery there.  That's some not so nice enemy there.  *DIES FIVE TIMES*

Alright, it's getting... early, let's call this in at a bonfire.  Later.  Okay, enemy doesn't seem a problem *enemy does 8 attacks in a row* yup!  I forge on anyway.  Okay, that's a nice synergy between mobs.  Fire and ice oh my!  This place seems dense...  Manage to find the bonfire but keep going.  I don't even recharge estus!  Things are dark, but the enemies now are easy.  Find +4 Estus along the way.  Wading through and — GAHHHHHHHHH!

Okay, it's really wimpy but holy shit what a super-freak.

Keep trudging onwards and... another bonfire?  Really?  Okay, whatever.  Hey, some estus soup.  And...  I recognize that decor...  I recognize that enemy...  I know your tactics!

Then I go back to Firelink to crown myself the new High Lord.  Good times.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: April 14, 2016, 02:16:42 AM »
I still haven't found a boss post-tutorial, but it's been an experience. Thinking I will drop the Uchi for a spear. The knights are really beating me down hard; same tactics from DS1 don't work on them. Guard breaking and Bow arts seem ok. The visual design of the game is very Bloodborne, but many design elements feel like improved versions of Dark Souls 2 ideas.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: April 14, 2016, 03:44:50 AM »
DS3: Start in woods, try to fight giant enemy crab, get invaded by NPC. Fine, kite him back to the bonfire, fucking dog follows me, whatever. It's just an NPC, he goes down. Try to fight giant enemy crab again, this time another player invades me, kite back to bonfire, after long fight the dog I shot off a cliff earlier finally finds its way back to the bonfire at critical health and together they kill me. Try to fight giant enemy crab AGAIN, get invaded by another player AGAIN and jesus christ just fuck this zone. I won the second duel but afterwards decided to run straight to the boss and grabbed the NPC summon to blitz the fight just so I'd be done with this miserable place already. I never did manage to kill the crab.

I have no idea how to fight the tree. I'm ignoring it for now.

Most of today was spent in Farron Keep and Cathedral of the Deep. FK's pretty manageable so far outside of one exceptionally badass callback enemy, which I barely managed to squeak past on the first try, and except for Swamp Thing Cleric Beast, which I really really shouldn't have messed with at all. Eventually I got too lost and sick of slow-motion walking to find the last torch and decided to spend the rest of my evening elsewhere. (And yes Fudo it also took me way too long to make the obvious lore connection with this zone.) I did not attempt fighting the enemy on the roof yet.

Enemy stagger in this game is really weird. I'm using a heavy weapon and it's usually pretty good at stunlocking enemies until suddenly they decide that's not going to happen anymore? I don't know, it's annoying. Anyway I'm maining the butcher's knife right now, which is weaker than the axe but has better reach. Usually this is a worthwhile trade. The parasitic healing is laughably insignificant, though. I also have caestus +3 since I can finally buy shards, but I'm too afraid of enemies to use it on anything.

Cathedral goes on forever and it's awful. I finally got to slugzilla covenant but I have no idea where to go from here. I don't see any other paths on the second floor. I made a bridge and ran across it to find an elevator shaft that I decided to jump down just to see what was there and because there was nowhere else to go, and after I unsurprisingly died I was very surprisingly hollow. The fuck? I died a bunch of times in this game today, and although I lost ember (full HP) status when that happened previously, it never made me look like a raw, sinewy cadaver until now. I tried popping an ember to see if that would fix it. Nope. Tried another bonfire, maybe this covenant HQ is just wacky that way? Nope, that doesn't do it either. I have no idea what's happening.

I do at least have the capability of rerolling my appearance now, though!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: April 14, 2016, 05:23:54 AM »
Final Fantasy Explorers: Completed the main storyline, not sure if I'll bother with the tougher aftergame content that you're suppose to care about in these monster hunter style games.

It's...ok, I guess?  I think I've had my fill though.  PLayed the game mostly as a Black mage since it seemed easy to understand and worked well, and Glowy Sword is totally a pro-Mage weapon.  Chibi-Meepel changed her hairstyle to a more elaborate pony-tail in the 11th hour and decided to Cosplay Lightning (though she would still turn into Terra and Riot Blade things to death in a pinch!)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: April 14, 2016, 08:03:04 AM »
FE Fates Conquest: Sheesh the difficulty massively spikes toward the end of Conquest, it feels like...  the lategame chapters are not screwing around.  (Minor gameplay spoilers below)

Anyway, "finished."    In quotes because I need to re-do the last mission for real, as I did a no-saves death march for the frue Classic experience, except not because the game let me continue anyway after Corrin scored a surprise Dragon Fang to kill a General!!!...  which let ANOTHER General which I hadn't planned on stand on General #1's corpse and Silver Lance Corrin in the face.  Well it's not like I wanted to use that stupid Shadow Yato anyway, right?  Right?  Anyway, yeah, Beruka/Felicia/Camilla all bit it on the first stage (maybe Leo too?  Not sure), and while they come back on Casual for the 2nd stage, I opted to pretend like they didn't and swapped 'em for Midori, Kana, & Shura instead.  Corrin died to randoms, Shura nobly took out a Dual Guard on the boss before dying horribly, & Selena *could* have survived if there wasn't a Vengeance proc.  It was a darn close thing for Xander, too, a Vengeance proc took him to 1 Health (in a pair-up with Effie, no less!).  Ow ow ow.  Not sure how to play around Vengeance aside from "hope you have some Dual Guards ready to go", especially tricky after your party has probably been blasted to half health off map damage.  We'll see when I replay the map, I guess.

C26 also had some pretty nasty sections, now that I think about it.  The whole Stoneborn section on the left side of the map is total BS (although thankfully skippable if you want).  And the final-ish bot section is crazy nasty, too...   too many enemies with random weakness hitting weapons like Beast Killers & Hammers, so you need a really tanky infantry character backed by Rally Defense or the like to survive the onslaught it seems.  Maybe my fault for triggering the reinforcements early via Entrap'ing one of the bosses out.  Both bosses on that map bit it to Kaze Lethality strikes though, which was pretty funny.

Invasion 3 also seemed ridiculously badass if you don't particularly set up your castle defenses super-optimized.  It's not SO bad, and then whoa hordes of mobile, deadly Paladins in a pair-up charging your throne noooo.  I just quit out of that one after I saw that wasn't going to work.  You could probably hypothetically win via sticking Xander/Effie on the throne, letting your base burn, and feed them all the kills, but that seems pretty lame.

For the ending, I've a few thoughts, but one in particular came up: Considering I married Azura, you'd think Corrin would be more traumatized by Azura disappearing.  You just became a single father, bro.  And some other character (Camilla?  Elise?  I forget) lamely comments about how Azura clearly just ran off for a bit or something.  Sheesh.  If Shigure exists, you'd think they could change their dialogue to be a little more serious here, even for the non "Corrin married her" case, this is, like, seriously horrible. 

On a ligher note, I was amused by Niles ending implying he continued to work for Leo, and Leo's ending saying he disappeared mysteriously after the war (because he married Severa and returned to Ylisse).  Can't really blame 'em for not adjusting the endings for such a corner case of characters marrying the Yllise crew.

Anyway, my party...  [Corrin, Azura], [Niles, Elise], [Kaze, Felicia], [Leo, Selena], Beruka, Camilla, Xander, Sophie (!Beruka), Shigure (!Corrin) , Nina (!Elise) , Forrest (!Selena).  Forrest being the last addition who ended up a tad behind on levels and kinda underwhelming, but for extra party slots more staff users + Inspiration bots is always appreciated.  Xander & Camilla stayed single, as neither of 'em seemed to really have a sensible match in my head.

B-Team:
Arthur - Saw service early, was fine, would probably be frustrating to use late with that passive & Luck, so swapped out.  (Never used Percy!Effie either...  that'd feel like child abuse with how old he looks, for all that his passive is rockin'.)
Silas - You were quite useful (when not doubled via holding a Javelin or something) for half the game, but you are entirely obsoleted by your just-better daughter.  Sorry bro.
Shura - Decent Adventurer, then Nina joins who is generally better.  Totally deployable for a few maps, and probably fine if you don't get Nina too.
Kana (!Azura) - Joined late.  Was cool enough but not enough slots.
Midori (!Felicia) - Joined super-late, not amazing stats (slower than bother her parents!) could get doubeld by the fast.  Replicate still pretty neat though.

I have some plot comments, but perhaps they'll wait for another time.  I was less then pleased with the general way they handled Our Heroes and how everyone reacted to them.  There's a great story to be told about a compromised or misled hero, and there's a great story involving a villain protagonist, but this wasn't really either of 'em.  Oh well.  TO BE CLEAR I liked the game of course, and appreciate the thought behind some of their plot structure!  And one plot element in particular, even though it was set up quite poorly, was pretty touching in its own way I thought.  Random incompetent grimdark CAN work!  The game had real trouble acknowledging that Our Hero was basically running what would fundamentally be a "sympathetic villain" plan in another game, though, and that screws up a lot.  Alas.

Anyway, fun times.  No Birthright just yet though; after doing the last missions "for real", it'll be DLC time.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: April 14, 2016, 08:38:55 AM »
Tree: there's a bunch of white blob weakpoints on it you have to hit.  I have no idea about Hollow form, but for the Cathedral go to the ground floor and look behind the giant with all the blobs in the sludge.  There's a staircase there.

Dark Souls 3: Dog Days: Got two ways forward, decide to go down first.  This leads to Irithyll Dungeon.  Ooooookay.  Weak enemies, hey you look interesting.  Ha, got a soldering iron drop.  Alright here's a second one and where-did-all-my-health-go!?

On second thought the path of familiarity breeds love!  He's a mean dude, but drops swanky gear.  Some more enemies, some short cuts being opened and some obvious boss doors.  Okay, not much of a run, easy to dodge enemies.  Let's do this!

PS: really, I should have had the foresight to predict that.  Okay, this guy is mean, aggressive and unreleanting.  But for the first time ever bad hit detection works in my favor and an attack that clearly hits me swings blank!  Let's see what kind of power-up yu have — THAT IS A DAMN GOOD ONE YES SIR!  He's now twice as aggressive and everything becomes a brutal series of in-fightning.  I die, again and again.  But after seven or so tries I finally put him down.  Sweet Gwyn what a fight!

More Crystal lizards that refuse to drop titanite chunks.  I have literally one weapon that can even use twinkling titanite dammit!  Promptly lose ember status to a goddamn mimic.  Freaking grab attacks.  I know they're supposed to be strong, but it takes out something like 800 HP.

Back on the path of progress, wow that's a lot of corpses.  Oh yeah, that's an obvious trap.  Let's see where you guys are firing from...

Huh?

No, that... that can't be right...

Uh... moving on...  up a tower and...  That's... that's a pretty mean set up there...

Oh... oh gods there's supposed to be a bonfire there!  Why!?

I was getting kind of misty riding the elevator up...  Oh gods...

Only one way forward.  Such silence.  Shortcut open, path to boss clear.

ADOG: You disgusting, monstrous freak.  This boss you have to fight up close and aggressive.  Being at range just plays into his game, badly.  The damage output is absurd when he wants to.  The second form turns the one breather attack in the first part into an unholy terror or absurdity.  When I finally won after seven or so tries, I got him down to slivers with Ember up and 5 estus but unlucky rolls costed me everything before I narrowly squeaked out a victory.

Another Lord of Cinder vanquished.  Bonus reward of HP regain ring.  2 HP a second!  ~SEXY~  It actually is useful in the Dungeon however...  The jailer enemies are ridiculous.  I stacked every P restore ability I had to push through.  Huh, glowing blue thing and — SWEET BABY JESUS WHAT ARE YOU!?

Easy.  Why are the freakist enemies the easiest to beat?  Urgh, this place is so weirdly wound up.  It feels like there's no bonfires ever.  I had to bone out at one point since lol to fighting 10 enemies at once.  I manage to struggle past and... find the Profaned Capital.  Huh.  The first two LoC had a lot of build-up to their locale.  This just seems plopped down randomly.

Hey stone buddy, good to see you again.  BONFIRE!  Estus+6!  Let's mosey along some more.  Whew, narrowly avoided that trap.  There's one for the highlight real!  Okay, more swamp, let's drop down and TOXIC SWAMP TOXIC SWAMP!  Barely make it out with the loot.  Don't want to screw with that thing and hello NPC.  Whatever, let's screw with that thing and — SWEET HEALING HANDS OF JESUS that ain't where those limbs belong!  RUN AWAY!  Oh god it's following me.  OH GOD THERE"S MORE!

DIE.

Okay, let's go round two you fat sack of crap!  Wow you're hilariously susceptible to bleed.  You're... not actually all that difficult.  Still freaky.

What just dropped?  Huh, I always wanted an axe named Eleonora!  What do you mean it takes titanite scales to upgrade?

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: April 14, 2016, 11:04:12 AM »
I have no idea about Hollow form

Due to my overwhelming need to be pretty(ish) again as soon as possible, I looked this up (consequently spoiling myself on some NPC events and also the ending). I know this is a Souls game I'm playing here, but wow that is one obtuse mechanic.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: April 14, 2016, 01:47:42 PM »
2nd day of ds3 went smoother.

Fought knights more competently. There was a huge butcher looking thing I've yet to beat, whatever.

Managed to kill the boss of the 2nd stage! I stupidly used and ember right before he died. Ah well.

Got to the 3rd area, but went back to explore the 2nd area better.

Found....a mimic, fuck that. At least I was smart and unlocked that door. Fought him again, got a nice axe. Found a claymore too! This seems...decent? Idk. So used to 1 handers right now. Will have to play around with this thing.

Found a key, oh I know where this goes. Saved some guy in a ballsack mask. He wants me to find some lady. Uh, yeah. I've only seen one other npc in the area, and that wasn't her name.

There was an area with a locked door that had an elevator behind it, it's below a bonfire. Dunno how to access that area yet. Lots of notes from people saying there are illusionary walls in spots, but I can't seem to trigger them. Dunno.

Oh I bought a healing spell. Because that seemed  useful, except I can't use it. It's equipped in my top spot, it's just not lit up? I have enough pretty requirements to use it I think?

Not sure.

Went to the 3rd area and found my way through to the area when someone decided to make it rain. Yay

That was enough torture for one night. I feel like I made some decent progress.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: April 14, 2016, 02:35:53 PM »
Found....a mimic, fuck that. At least I was smart and unlocked that door. Fought him again, got a nice axe. Found a claymore too! This seems...decent? Idk. So used to 1 handers right now. Will have to play around with this thing.

All weapons are potentially 1 handed.  2 handing increases your Strength by 1.5 times so its easier to meet requirements (and do more damage/stun things easier).  The other reason is for different moves.  There is a bit of a choice between swapping between 1 and 2 handed when you get really good at the game.   There is some absolute Jedi shit running around with no shield rolling through everything swapping between 1/2 handed as situation calls for it.

I bring that up because Claymore is traditionally boss as fuck.  That 1 handed sword moveset you are used to?  Claymore gets most of that with more reach.   It is glorious.

There was an area with a locked door that had an elevator behind it, it's below a bonfire. Dunno how to access that area yet. Lots of notes from people saying there are illusionary walls in spots, but I can't seem to trigger them. Dunno.

9 times out of 10 that is people trolling.  It is especially egregious early on in the life cycle of a game.

Oh I bought a healing spell. Because that seemed  useful, except I can't use it. It's equipped in my top spot, it's just not lit up? I have enough pretty requirements to use it I think?

Casting you need the right kind of Implement to use it (think 4th Ed D&D if you know it?).  For Miracles you need a Talisman (or a Chime, but that's Dark Souls 2 weirdness flowing over).  The Shrine Handmaiden chick in a chair that you probably bought it off has a basic one for 500 souls.  Staff/Catalyst for Sorcery.  Pyromancers have a Pyromancer Flame that is your hand on fire.  R1/L1 for whichever hand you have the implement in will cast the spell.

Went to the 3rd area and found my way through to the area when someone decided to make it rain. Yay

That was enough torture for one night. I feel like I made some decent progress.

You really aren't doing bad dude. 

My own play I am up to a forest area and beat the boss there. Coop is still fun and crazy easy.   It is probably making me sloppy and rusty when I have to solo.

Going Pyro is fun, I pinch hit into Miracles.  Fire Broadsword just does crazy damage early.

And Cid, yes that and things like the weapons the hollows use in this forest place are what makes me so excited to see Fenrir post about the game (and yourself!).  Sadly I haven't seen anything saying you can get one and that makes me sad.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: April 14, 2016, 03:25:26 PM »
Ow ow ow.  Not sure how to play around Vengeance aside from "hope you have some Dual Guards ready to go", especially tricky after your party has probably been blasted to half health off map damage.  We'll see when I replay the map, I guess.

Re the map damage, you can hide behind the barriers you create with the dragon vein to avoid it. The attack travels on a line so you do have to be behind one of the barriers or yeah you'll get wrecked.

With bulky, full-HP units Vengeance shouldn't that big a problem, since the boss' base attack actually isn't too high (like 10 lower than the previous boss, and lower than several randoms). Certainly something to watch for but like with Validar or for that matter the C23/24 Conquest bosses it's just something you need to account for. Dual Guards are nice, especially if you want to hit the boss with a flyer, but not necessary. I actually found that boss easier than many of the previous just because there was no throne so I had 100 hit to take it down reliably, though surviving while quickly moving down made for an intense/fun final battle. (Also, it apparently really rewards fast progress, which I can appreciate!)

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: April 14, 2016, 03:32:42 PM »
Dark Souls 3: Enter the Firedome: Time to start checking off what little I have available.  First step is that boss in Smouldering Lake.  ODK is a goddamn brutal in-close punisher who gives almost no openings... until he reachs phase 2 where he becomes so obsessed with huge telegraphed close-range punishes that it becomes sneak a hit and run.  He's actually easier the longer the fight goes on, and range classes are gonna shred him.  I die once, but get him nice and clean second try.  There's no path onwards here.  Bah.

I start trekking through the ruins in Smouldering Lake some more.  This place is vaguely depths-like in all its passages.  There's also lava, so, uh, Orange Charred Ring later maybe?  I snag the Black Knight sword from behind a wall.  At least one guy is doing their job.  Sorta.  Random NPC foe who disgustingly reminds me of that fuckface outside Executioner Chariot's door.  Bonus points for Poise actually working for the jackass.  Hefty reward though.

Heading around nets another pyromancy tome in front of... oh... oh dear...  I mean... there's only half the body and...  ahhh...  maybe...?

Uh, anyway.  Find all the loots and get going.

There's a tower in Irithyll that I can't seem to reach.  It has a bonfire on it so it is intended.  There's one last place to check (two, actually now that I think about it) but it bears no fruit.  Bore a huge-ass hammer though.

Going back into Irithyll Dungeon to explore crap.  This takes way too long and too many rats.  Finally squeak by with a second Titanite Chunk.  Enjoy +15 attack!  Find the next magic NPC.  Which reminds me to check the one in Road of Sacrifices and... yep!  10 INT is enough.  To Firelink with you all!  It actually takes me forever to find one of them.  Oddly, when gifting her the second tome she references the first which no other NPC has done...

There's some stuff in the Catacombs left...  But it's time for the Profaned Capital!  It's time to end the Profaned Capital!  Wow, that's short.

YTG: Okay, this feels painfully reminiscent of fighting Asylum Demon with my bare hands.  So, what's that over there?  The hell?  The hell is this doing here?  Alright, I get it, let's do this thing!  HOLY SHIT this fight turns epic as hell real quick.

Then the rarest of rare.  PLOT!

Then the magic of homeward bone after a quick bout of NOPE.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: April 14, 2016, 05:30:18 PM »
Wow. Suddendly I can't read any posts.

Anyway I've realized that my female roomate is pretty much Yattaf. She is tall, fun, pretty strong, and definitely lawful evil.
Wow.

Crimson Shroud: There is plenty of new shit to do on NG+. Nice.
The entire script is expended on NG+ (like in BoF5)! Except none of it was translated at all. We only get the base NG script.
I was pretty >:-( about it, but then I read transcripts. The new NG+ additions are not really expanding the story, they're just.. jokes? And the fucking lamest jokes I've seen.  I'm actually now pretty glad they unceremoniously removed all that shit. Stick to drama, Matsuno.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 05:31:54 PM by Fenrir »

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: April 14, 2016, 06:27:17 PM »
Crimson Shroud: There is plenty of new shit to do on NG+. Nice.
The entire script is expended on NG+ (like in BoF5)! Except none of it was translated at all. We only get the base NG script.
I was pretty >:-( about it, but then I read transcripts. The new NG+ additions are not really expanding the story, they're just.. jokes? And the fucking lamest jokes I've seen.  I'm actually now pretty glad they unceremoniously removed all that shit. Stick to drama, Matsuno.
Fenrir this is censorship

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #820 on: April 14, 2016, 07:00:25 PM »
Nah, it's the opposite. Censorship is them dirtying the true intent of the story by translating it into heathen English instead of GLORIOUS NIPPONESE MOTHER LANGUAGE.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: April 14, 2016, 07:19:58 PM »
I love you guys.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: April 14, 2016, 07:57:40 PM »
Yes Gourry.
I really do love ruining art.

Anyway I finished Crimson Shroud again and got that sweet new, NG+ exclusive super secret ending!
And wow. That second ending.
It's like if Sixth Sense had a second, New Game + exclusive ending, that's about Bruce Willis going "Hey guys - I'm not a ghost! Pretty cool!" and he goes do high fives with his friends and they go drink beers together.
What the fuck is wrong with Crimson Shroud's endings

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: April 14, 2016, 08:37:01 PM »
So I'll spoil all of Crimson Shroud here.

Crimson Shroud has only one important character, and that's Frea. She's basically some sort of lonely migrant without a country. She might be supposed to be a fantasy-jew. She begins the game wounded, next to a knight, and she tells her story to him. This story is the entire game.

Basically, her team went to a dungeon to get a relic. But the whole thing was a trap, and at the end of the dungeon there was an ancient evil that looks exactly like Frea and used the team to escape. The ancient evil had been sealed, and basically needed someone of fantasy-jewish descent to break the seal. It's very generic.
Anyway the team beat the ancient evil, and the ancient evil fell in lava like Gollum.
IIRC more monsters arrive or something. Frea's party goes to tell Frea to run ahead of them, while they fight monsters. Because she's the key to the whole thing and really really needs to be safe. Frea runs the fuck away, into the knight.
This is the end of the story told by the wounded Frea

The knight then leaves wounded Frea alone and goes to help the rest of her team.

Now we get two different endings:

Ending 1:
SUPER PLOT TWIST: Frea is with the rest of the party...?
The knight goes "OH SHIT this Frea is the real one, and the wounded Frea was actually the ancient evil! FUCK!"
Then you get flavour text about how the world is now utterly ruined. End.

Here are my remarks:
- How did the ancient evil escape and break the seal, we beat her, and threw her in lava. How did she even use Frea to break the seal. Frea was fine the whole time and not under her control. This makes no sense.
- Okay so the wounded Frea is actually the ancient evil. So she hasn't witnessed any of the events that happen during the game. So the entire game except for the final fight is complete bullshit, and hasn't actually happened. Great
- For that matter, wounded Frea talked to herself at one point? And she thought normal, Frea-like thoughts, instead of "DESTROY WORLD". So we get a complete contradiction.
Ending 1 makes no sense.

New Game + exclusive Ending 2:
NO PLOT TWIST. Because Frea is not with the rest of her party.
Knight: "Hey Frea's party! Glad Frea's not with you, because that would have made no sense!"
Frea's party: "Yep!"
Knight: "The world is saved. Let's go."
Frea's party: "Yes"
Ending 2 is stupid.

Crimson Shroud still has interesting lore and writing, believe it or not.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 08:39:52 PM by Fenrir »

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: April 14, 2016, 08:39:16 PM »
I found Crimson Shroud a lot more interesting in concept than in practice. Having actual dice and board game figurines representing characters was a really neat idea. A bigger budget game with more length could have done something, I think.