Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 117240 times)

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #900 on: April 22, 2016, 11:04:11 AM »
Grefter: the boulder spew pyromancy has crap range, or I would've tried that first.

What I've heard is that some pyromancies scale better with INT and some with FTH. I dunno what you're more invested in, but maybe that's cause for any difference you're seeing. Anyway at this point I just Great Chaos Fire Orb pretty much everything (unless it has a shield, fuck this build is horrible for enemies with shields).

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: April 22, 2016, 11:50:50 AM »
I meant Black Serpent.  I have cast it.  I take it back.  You were right. 

For shields, don't you just kick them in the face and cut them down with some kind of elemental weapon?  i dunno lol we just backstab them because coop

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Sacred+Flame is also an option.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: April 22, 2016, 04:32:12 PM »
Dark Souls 3: Four goddamn deaths to getting mobbed in corner and flailing helplessly godammit.  Dark Swords actually gets more Dex scaling out of Refined Gem than Sharp for some baffling reason.  Unbreakable has different lines if certain mobs are already dead.  AW was laughable.  Just stunlocked nearly the whole damn fight.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: April 22, 2016, 08:32:34 PM »
Civ 4

Been fiddling around with this for fun and profit.  Meant to finish a game of it all proper like since I seem to have not been so good at finishing games since getting Beyond the Sword.  So, I got my first religious victory after building the Apostolic palace, and then spreading my missionaries about like a good little pope.  Kinda amusing that having everyone have a bit of the religion, but having no one else share it as a primary religion makes the religious victory easier to obtain.

Nier

Ugh, fishing.  Why did it have to be fishing.  Kinda hoping sardines become storebought later, but I suspect that if that becomes the case, it won't be until the sardine fishing quest is complete.  I am also amused that one of the quests I've completed only rewards you with a one time song.  But it was an easy quest, and a nice song, so I am content with it.

As for the game itself.  Gameplay is pretty simplistic, but there's enough there to be engaging without getting in the way.  So that's good.  Really digging the setting though.  I like Nier.  I like all the characters, but especially Nier.  He's a cool guy.  I mean, he looks like this grizzled western hero type, but aside from a few things, he's pretty laid back.  And while he may not care about the world falling to bits, the game does do a good job of showing that he cares about people.  Sure, he's helping folks because he needs cash to care for his sick daughter, but I get the impression that the fact that he's helping folks gives him a great deal of job satisfaction.  Also, he's pretty upbeat for a guy in a fading world whose only daughter has a terminal illness.

So, yeah.  The pace is glacial.  But this works.  Because it really isn't about saving the world, it's about saving his daughter and helping people along the way.  Which is different and refreshing.  Also refreshing and different, I have this strange feeling that his idyllic hometown is actually not going to be destroyed.

Up to the Kingdom of Facade.  Feels like the plot is finally starting to pick up a little bit.  Not sure what's up here, but I have a bad feeling something is going to go wrong.

X Zone 2- Valkyrie/Divine Manakete Teatime Adventures

I mentioned this in chat, but I think I ship T-Elos and Metalface now.  They just get so happy when they get their murder on.

This game is pretty much the opposite of Nier.  More about graphics and gameplay than plot.  And this bit will mostly be in contrast to X Zone 1, which it's pretty much a straight up improvement on.  Sure, the plot is still just an excuse plot, but now the heros seem to have actual agency from time to time in terms of where they go next instead of most of the early game being getting randomly teleported from place to place.  Heck, they even have actually attempts to get people back home and discuss why the everyone is getting involved in this instead of just "oh, you showed up, guess you're with us now".  Heck, you even have Phoenix Wright who pretty actively doesn't want to be around, but does because he needs protection and the group he's with is good at protecting folks.  As an added bonus plotwise, the game has an actual focus plotwise early on.  Sure, X Zone 1 kinda had the Portalstone, but that kinda got overrun by the individual plots and getting warped from place to place randomly as plot points until near the end of the game.  Here, the golden chains are remaining pretty solid as a focus, even with the personal plots filtering in.  As for writing, it feels like, somehow, they're packing in even more references to obscure gaming lore.  I mean, seriously, they managed to slip a Bad Dudes reference into Demitri's dialogue.

As for gameplay, the core mechanics are the same, but there's been a lot of small changes which I think improve it a great deal.  First there's all of the quality of life improvements.  Namely, they use that bottom screen to show stats now, and you can tap your way to all of the appropriate stats for any unit instead of having to dig through menus.  The information you used to get is also a bit more accessable now.  And, they have icons showing what the major properties of moves are, and they give you the info in the middle of battle so you don't need to look it up ahead of time and then remember it.  For a series with as many units as X-Zone, this is a great add-on.  As for substantial changes, there are three big ones.  First, turn order is no longer a thing.  You now have Ally Phase and Enemy Phase, and you order your guys in the order you want to.  The game still seems to have a preference for what order you work in, but you can override it with trivial ease.  Which makes it a lot easier to spread out Exp.  Secondly, there's a new resource, SP (Stamina Points) which takes on a lot of the roles XP used to do.  Specifically, it's used for skills and for defense/counter.  Each pair has their own SP store, which starts at 100 and can be increased with passive skills and equipment, and it recovers at about 30 SP a turn.  So no more infinite XP gain by having one unit counter the world.  Full defense still runs off of XP, but it's a touch cheaper, and now has a lot less competing with it.  Third, the number of attacks you can use in each fight sequence is hard locked at three.  A big complaint about PXZ1 was time creep as you started with three attacks per segment, and crept up to six by the end.  Here it's going to stay at three.  The bonus attack for using all of the attacks is also gone.  What you have now is the charge attack system.  If you didn't use an attack in a fight sequence, then the next time you use that attack, it's just better with a bonus to damage, XP gain, and I think status infliction.  So, you want to switch up your attacks.

None of this gets in to the minor changes.  ie. Customization points let you purchase passive skills and improve attacks.  Each pair and solo can set one passive skill from a collection of ones they have, which lets you personalize what they'll be doing and which helps you remember what your sea of units are capable of.  Facing exists, for both you and your enemies, and you'll want to try and take advantage of it (or really try and avoid letting your opponents take advantage of it.  Metal Face nearly one shotted one of my pairs when I let him get a side attack in on them.  He freaking doubles damage on side attacks).  Also, you can now get the option to counter/defend on animated attacks, so long as they're single target.  Map hazards are added to make the maps a bit less dry, though map design still isn't great.  And, the Cross Hit system is redesigned.  Now, instead of being necessary to get over 100% for XP, it just supercharges your rate of XP gain.  However, while it still holds your foe in place, it does so for a limited amount of time, and if enough block crushing damage is done, you'll break the cross hit and send the foe flying.  This means you can't just jam all your attacks in and hold the enemy in place, and makes you have to focus a lot more on juggling the enemy.  Also means that crits are a lot more likely to be an option, and so you'll be aiming for those more as well.

Finally, your reward for stringing together large combos isn't XP gain, but gold gain.  Which brings us to another aspect, you have a shop where you can buy equipment and healing items.  Which means no more having to worry about spamming items and running out.

As an aside, graphics.  This line of games generally looks good.  PXZ1 managed to improve from Endless Frontier, and PXZ2 has managed to improve from PXZ1.  It's not important, but it's adding to my appreciation of the game.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: April 22, 2016, 09:10:47 PM »
The only thing I have to add about Nier right now is that more games should have sidequests that reward you with music.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: April 22, 2016, 10:24:33 PM »
I suppose Firelink's music changing is vaguely that ha...

I do like the newer theme better too.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: April 23, 2016, 03:57:48 AM »
DS3 - We did some ruins.  There was lots of things I liked about the ruins.  I lost 40k souls in the ruins because I don't like the enemies in the ruins or 0 poise no matter how much poise I equip.

Lots of invasions as well.  Lots of okay dude you go do something thats a sick ambush, we will ignore you.  Okay dude you have sat around doing nothing for 10 minutes.  We are leaving.

Full tilt and done with it after starting Boreal Valley.  Kill thing on the bridge.  Get invaded.  Spend 10 minutes while guy hurrrhurrr sitting next to a mob.  Just give up, go we will kill thing on my toon and Alt-F4 out.

I take 2 steps on to the bridge, fog wall comes up, being invaded.  Literally 2 seconds into the area.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: April 23, 2016, 03:57:56 AM »
And, the Cross Hit system is redesigned.  Now, instead of being necessary to get over 100% for XP, it just supercharges your rate of XP gain.  However, while it still holds your foe in place, it does so for a limited amount of time, and if enough block crushing damage is done, you'll break the cross hit and send the foe flying.  This means you can't just jam all your attacks in and hold the enemy in place, and makes you have to focus a lot more on juggling the enemy.  Also means that crits are a lot more likely to be an option, and so you'll be aiming for those more as well.

The cross hit is very much useless this time. XP recharges in this game fast enough even without it. Items can cover the few occasion that you might need more XP than usual.
The crush damage from breaking the cross hit is also negligible. Hitting three critical on three A level attacks always end up doing more damage. Not to mention they increase the critical frame this time. Majority of the characters will have at least one A level attack that has big enough critical frame that makes you feel embarrassed to land a critical.
In other words, the critical rendered the cross hit completely useless this time.

Oh, BTW, there is one more change you forget to mention. Map attack is actually useful this time. With how easy Atk can be buffed in this game, clearing a map is much much MUCH faster than PxZ1.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: April 23, 2016, 09:16:30 AM »
It was already useful.  I spammed MAP attacks like crazy in the later stages with tons of enemies.  Just this time you can get more bonuses to damage and there's way less competition for XP, and you get them so much earlier.  I've been having fun with Chun-Li's map attack, even if it's lacking Kikouchou this time.  I'm also starting to get some use out of Cross Hits now that enemies are getting more durable and I want more XP to toss out more Super Attacks.  Especially since if you time them right, it looks like you can still get most of the crit hits in while still landing Cross Hits.

Now, something I will bring up, as it is relevant to those readers I am partially writing this for, so far there still isn't a single mixed gender pair where the woman leads.  Just like in PXZ1.  Granted, most of these are still cases where it makes more sense for the guy to have the lead, like Reiji and Xiaomu, or Chrom/Lucina.  But you also have Jill still playing second fiddle to Chris, and despite both of them playing second fiddle to someone else in PXZ1, when Dmitri and Morrigan got put together in this game, Dmitri got top billing.  Which is sad, because Morrigan is more fun, and honestly, seems to be more important too.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: April 23, 2016, 01:37:54 PM »
Dark Souls 3: Think I've worked out the concrete strategy for taking down ODK.  HLW managed to actually take a life to my eternal shame.  Bridge problems went hilariously easy.  Just smacking its head is enough to set it up for death.  Incidentally, for Irithyll, I think those "ghosts" walking around are supposed to be the Outriders + Dancer and Vordt leaving.

I'm literally drowning in titanite at this point so I'm just upgrading random shit.  BKGA has 600 ATK at +4 and 40/40 STR/DEX.  Giant Warrior's Club +10 at 99 Strength and Ring of Blades+2 was only 700!  With the added bonus of the BKGA cutting through enemy poise.  Eat it you hyper-armor assholes!

I've also read how defense actually works in this game.  The left number is a flat reduction.  But only if you have armor equipped in a slot.  Being naked means you don't get "natural" defense.  This is why I was being three-shotted while grinding, I was going bare-chest because the Symbol of Avarice was so goddamn heavy.  So, now, my 170 DEF will reduce a 500 damage attack to 330.  Then, the right number, the absorption, reduces that number further, by a percent.  So that 330 gets reduced by 36% to 211.  The Fire Witch grab attack only did 320 damage to me.  That's nothing these days.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: April 23, 2016, 02:18:50 PM »
I'm a little surprised about that, Grefter, because I haven't seen a lot of invading in either of those zones. Now, the zone immediately after Irithyll's boss, that's PVP Central and I can guarantee you will be invaded the second you step in there. You will pretty much have to run it offline or un-embered. Fortunately, the upper section of the area, with the boss, seems to be split off as far as invasion zoning is concerned. Yesterday I was able to wait around a while looking at summon signs, seeing "Unable to summon phantom" a lot, and eventually just saying to hell with it and running to the boss without getting invaded.

Speaking of, ADOG basically just melted. I had to heal once? What a joke. Pyromancy may be a little broke you guys. I'm at 30/30 for INT/FTH and the worthwhile scaling doesn't even seem to stop there. I keep wanting to put levels into END because top-tier spells eat all your stamina or ATT so I could have more variety in my arsenal, but why do I need either of those things when Great Chaos Fire Orb singlehandedly wrecks the entire game? It's insane and I anticipate nerfs. Lava kills are highly satisfying (all three of the winged knight trio went down this way). Also the Archives fire whip actually turned out to be decent, I'm surprised.

Also started up a cleric on the side. I like the chime HP regen. It's a cheap way to patch yourself up between fights and is more useful so far than the actual Heal miracle. I am rocking the lucerne for melee because I liked it a lot in DS1. Ideal melee option for caster classes in this game really seems to be Raw Infuse -> Apply Weapon Buffs, instead of relying on weapons that actually scale with your casting stats. Buff potency scales with your casting stats again, so they'll only get better as you level and will probably outpace an elemental weapon anyway.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: April 23, 2016, 05:24:52 PM »
DS3 - I have been going for the scaling personally, its a nice fringe benefit and I dunno, I struggle with spell slots (30 Attunement now so 5 slots, I legit used a + attunement slot ring for a bit while I was testing out spells!).  SPending one on a weapon buff feels rough.  Though if I wasn't Cooping I might just get by on Chime heals rather than going for a big Heal spell with the cleave for efficient healing  (the FP:Health value is just so high when you are healing 2 people!).

I could stop running OPOP Tears of Denial I guess but meh.  I also switch in and out Replenishment as we played because the heal is super efficient.  Highly recommend grabbing utility spells on your pyro as well.  Miracles are pretty much what solidified Pyro as king Magic User to me.

Also I tried to get stuff in the lava.  Even with Flash Sweat I just fucking melted and then ragequit on it.  Probably need more HP.  Forgot to mention that last post.

Anyway we just beat up Valley boss and I am super stoked about the visual design going on in that fight.  Top notch all round.

For the fight itself coop with a caster kind of trivalised like you would expect but not in ways you would.  Standing back and throwing fire at Sulyvahn is effective for obvious reasons of you can easily manage the range on his combos.  The real killer though was Lava damage.  So much free tick damage going on.  Our first fight was on my Brother's toon where it was a nice fringe benefit to cleave down the clone.  On my file he and the clone were in a corner when he was spawning.   So spam Great Chaos Fire Orb a bunch and stack up Laval patches and the phantom died as it spawned in, so Sulyvahn locked in animations eating more fire damage until he died.  Like the last third of his health just melted away.

Also what in the fuck was up with those Grudge Vagina Dentata monesters in the water areas?  That's some indirect storytelling I just don't get.   The grub dude with Great Heal near them though, that I can get into.

Trash in the Valley is pretty rough to be honest.  Mobs there pull all kinds of bullshit whether it be giant cleaves for 50% health.  Weird fucked up hit boxes and movements so you miss even with STraight Sword broad slashes.  A spell that ignores LoS completely.  Super obvious stealth that stops you targeting or what.  It has a whole laundy list of reasons to get fucked.

When you get it Cid I am interested in your thoughts on the Vestiges pyromancy.  The flat arc I thought would be appealing and it does same damage has GCFO with lava tick, but the extra 10 mana and how honestly awkward the shot is means I just went meh, play with it later, stick with GCFO/Heal/Tears for my 5 slots.  It shoots in a super straight line, but unlike Sorceries that do that you cast it down in line with your character rather than it being slightly raised, so it is horrible when there is a change in elevation and its hard to aim it free form (because Camera Souls is real and you can't target shit that you can see 80% of the body of).  You have to target through your character.  The thing that sealed it though is that it is big and hits scenery so fucking easily and like the Bonfire Side Chat guys note, there is a lot of shit lying around in these Next Gen Souls games because they can.  That means lots of shit for it to run into.

Also dunno what to say, but literally get invaded once or twice an area and we mostly one shot areas because my brother has been through them before on another toon.  That is not taking into alt-F4 Nopes to just bail on shitty invasions with shitty people in shitty spots.

There was a pretty good fight tonight where we got invaded right near the bonfire.  The person just came up to us, engaged, stomped us and moved on (they were legit just pretty good).  It was refreshing.  Then there was 3 others of LOLOLOL RUN AWAY TO BOVIOUS AMBUSH or backing up to stand next to some trash just stare at each other in "stalemate" which is honestly just one of us edging forward to body pull the trash so I can fireball it down. 

Also 90% of fights still come down to swinging at air to stunlock lag fests.  No repeats of dude being stuck in resting model position though.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: April 23, 2016, 07:41:28 PM »
No arguments about PVP being pretty much ass always. Every now and then you draw someone cool that just does goofy shit like in Fudo YouTube videos, but most of the time it's meh. My brother and I are probably gonna have to spend some time summoning + killing each other to cheese out the covenant with the pyromancy reward, because it's the only pyromancy I'm missing and I'm not farming skellies for like a full fucking day for that shit.

Anyway, pyro finished, another ending get. I actually ran most of the game with just four spell slots and it didn't matter much. I picked up a fifth near the end and didn't even know what to do with it, I just kept saying where's Poochy? why would I use a spell that's not Great Chaos Fire Orb? It's so amazing. I did try Chaos Bed Vestiges and was not really impressed for most of the reasons you cited. Higher cost, more wind-up, easier to get caught on scenery, but the real killer is that while it does more damage on a straight hit, GCFO will still outdamage it if the enemy steps in the lava. I occasionally found a need to sub in stuff like dark pyromancies or Chaos Storm for certain situations, but once I had GCFO it was pretty much all that all the time. This should be boring but it isn't because it's just too metal. I actually didn't play with miracles at all this run! Did get some mileage out of Magic Weapon early on though since I didn't immediately have the resources to spam fireballs non-stop.

It's weird, pyromancy was the accessory for melee dudes with no INT/FTH to squeeze some elemental damage out of in DS1, but it really fills the opposite niche in DS3. Pyro's really the most pure casting class this game since you basically have to go all-in for all three casting stats to get the most out of it. What you get out of it is totally bonkers, but if you're min-maxing like a pro then you're not going to have many levels to spare for stats that let you be good with things like weapons and armor. (The 2H L2 on the fire whip is amazing though, and that's really obviously meant for this kind of build.) If you're running straight sorcerer or cleric then at least you have some levels left over after you hit the soft cap in INT or FTH. Maybe that's the reasoning behind sorcery being crap in Dark Souls 3 (or so I hear, I haven't tried it yet. Only a matter of time, though!)

You can totally get to the lava pool treasure with Flash Sweat but you've gotta be drinking estus like constantly on the way out there and don't expect to come back alive. Flame Stoneplate Ring might help too but I never found it.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: April 23, 2016, 09:08:49 PM »
Flame Stoneplate is hidden in a ridiculous corner of Undead Settlement.  Know the building right next to Eygon that leads to Road of Sacrifices?  Stand at the doorstep and look back the way you came and crane skywards.  There's a hanging corpse with loot that's the ring.  The bridge at the start of the settlement right next to the tree burning party has a path off to the side covered in crates that leads to the ring, a weird-ass NPC and the absurdly nonsensical way to reach the mound makers in addition to being where the Flame Stoneplate ring is.

Speckling Stoneplate for its measly +4 is in Smouldering Lake.  There's some rubble near a wall that can be destroyed by the three shots of pain.  It's kind of a straight run from the entrance, I think?

And I still got Wolf Ring+1 before its base version.

Dark Souls 3: So apparently now I can stunlock SKs?  Either the ones in Irithyll proper are weaker or stats might have an effect on poise breaking.  PS took one life.  Second went to his death.  I think the second form is actually easier, now that I've brute-forced it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 09:17:28 PM by Fudozukushi »

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: April 23, 2016, 09:55:07 PM »
DS3:  Running around the swamp in a dress.  I fucking love this game.  The moment with your friend helping you against giant enemy crab is one of the greatest things in gaming history.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #915 on: April 24, 2016, 01:33:50 AM »
Nier

Ugh, fishing.  Why did it have to be fishing.  Kinda hoping sardines become storebought later, but I suspect that if that becomes the case, it won't be until the sardine fishing quest is complete.  I am also amused that one of the quests I've completed only rewards you with a one time song.  But it was an easy quest, and a nice song, so I am content with it.

As for the game itself.  Gameplay is pretty simplistic, but there's enough there to be engaging without getting in the way.  So that's good.  Really digging the setting though.  I like Nier.  I like all the characters, but especially Nier.  He's a cool guy.  I mean, he looks like this grizzled western hero type, but aside from a few things, he's pretty laid back.  And while he may not care about the world falling to bits, the game does do a good job of showing that he cares about people.  Sure, he's helping folks because he needs cash to care for his sick daughter, but I get the impression that the fact that he's helping folks gives him a great deal of job satisfaction.  Also, he's pretty upbeat for a guy in a fading world whose only daughter has a terminal illness.

So, yeah.  The pace is glacial.  But this works.  Because it really isn't about saving the world, it's about saving his daughter and helping people along the way.  Which is different and refreshing.  Also refreshing and different, I have this strange feeling that his idyllic hometown is actually not going to be destroyed.

Up to the Kingdom of Facade.  Feels like the plot is finally starting to pick up a little bit.  Not sure what's up here, but I have a bad feeling something is going to go wrong.

Any sidequest that feels like it's going to take too long, just ignore.  The best rewards come from pretty straightforward sidequests.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: April 24, 2016, 02:06:30 AM »
The long boring side quests with nothing at the end are the best part of the game.  Not getting a reward is the reward itself.

Unironically.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: April 24, 2016, 03:21:52 PM »
Dark Souls 3: hey guys I got married!

Using the Dragonslayer Greatbow is fantastic carthis.

ADOG down in one shot.

Irithyll Dungeon cleared in one go.  My spear was only at 60% durability by the end of it.  Using the Greatbow to wreck five jailers at once was fantastic.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: April 24, 2016, 06:21:53 PM »
Dark Souls 3:

Decided to check out the brand new Legolas mode. Dex build it is. Thief Yattaf go

As far as I know the two additions to bows are:
- Quick arrow short right after a roll for less damage. Pretty useful.
- Barrage of arrows that consules a ton of stamina and focus. Each arrow does terrible damage. This is total garbage so far.

Thief means I start with the bandit's knife, which is a really cool but mostly bad weapon. It has bad damage/reach but stunlocks and inflicts bleed. Main strat is to get up an opponent's face and mash R1. The enemy will hopefully be stunlocked and bleed out. This works very well against some enemies and very badly against others (including the second boss, who's armored, plus immune to both bleed and stunlocking lol)
The knife also has an immensely useful quickstep special skill. It is pretty much a half of a roll and perfect for backstabbu

I'd like another main weapon (one that doesn't have just D in dex, when i'm putting all points in dex) but those shards are rare man.

I'll talk more later. I'm up against a giant enemy crab. Haven't found any weakpoint yet.
Oh by the way. The tree. The fucking tree.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #919 on: April 24, 2016, 06:23:06 PM »
The long boring side quests with nothing at the end are the best part of the game.  Not getting a reward is the reward itself.

Unironically.

It's really in keeping with a world that is sputtering to a close.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: April 24, 2016, 06:58:10 PM »
I have been running Uchi & Composite bow on a DEX build. I have to admit I'm unimpressed with bows in this game, though they are useful at times. I never found the Pharis Bow, which would have fit my build better. (may still be to come, but I am pretty sure I'm near the end)

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: April 24, 2016, 07:46:51 PM »
Dark Souls bows have always been pretty worthless to be fair, the rollshot makes them slightly better!
It is kinda ridiculous that the best and fastest way to shoot with a bow in Dark Souls is right after rolling. I imagine shooting a bow effectively after rolling in real life must be pretty damn hard.

Let's say an enemy charges at you.
Real life logic: Stay in place, aim for the head and shoot, or aim and shoot while moving backwards
Dark Souls 3 logic: roll backwards and shoot with your bow, then roll backwards and shoot with your bow again.

Ok so the noteworthy parts about the beginning of Dark Souls 3 are:
- The first boss
- "Wait why am I burning?"
- That frozen jerk who's just iceskating all over the place and who has killed me 10 times despite not being a boss
- Giant spear field
- The fire hug
- Tree -> Homeward Bone lol
- That dude who attacks with a giant jar
- That dude who throws a giant jar at you
- Enemy crabs, then giant enemy crabs
- That girl who appeared at Firelink, said basically "Hey.. I don't think we should be friends." then left

It is Dark Souls so I am digging it. It feels weirdly conservative so far though. There are still more surprises to be found than in a regular videogame sequel, but man, Bloodborne left a better first impression because of this.
I'd talk about lore and atmosphere, but... This is just Dark Souls. All the places are terrible and I'd rate them one star on Yelp. Environments are grand, beautiful and baroque as fuck. I do not understand any of what is going on. It is Dark Souls.

The biggest shift that no one noticed is how HP has been boosted and Estus nerfed. This means that the focus is less about getting out of a singular encounter alive and more about surviving the whole journey from bonfire to bonfire. This also means that miracles are significantly better than before, which is good. (miracles have always been the dump class) Vitality is not the god-stat that you need to get to 20-40 ASAP anymore.
I'm not liking how pyromancy went from being a cool niche to the new hexes though.

Axiom Verge: I got this on Vita. It is a Metroid clone. I don't like Metroid. I don't like Axiom Verge either. Why did I expect otherwise?
Movement is imperfect, enemies are very annoying bullet sponge, and it's all lock and keys gameplay and there are so many locks.
The one good thing about Metroid is atmosphere, and that's not even that well done here. There is definitely some weird shit going on but the mystery is not big and the main character lacks presence.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 07:56:27 PM by Fenrir »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: April 24, 2016, 08:16:33 PM »
Dark Souls bows have always been pretty worthless to be fair, the rollshot makes them slightly better!
It is kinda ridiculous that the best and fastest way to shoot with a bow in Dark Souls is right after rolling. I imagine shooting a bow effectively after rolling in real life must be pretty damn hard.

Let's say an enemy charges at you.
Real life logic: Stay in place, aim for the head and shoot, or aim and shoot while moving backwards
Dark Souls 3 logic: roll backwards and shoot with your bow, then roll backwards and shoot with your bow again.

There's a proud tradition of this in action games, in fact in Devil May Cry just firing the grenade launcher and standing still between shots is woefully slow compared to rolling or jumping between shots. Totally sensible.

Captain Toad - I am playing through this. There is very little to say about it; it is adorable and reasonably fun though obviously not any sort of all-time great or anything. I do like the extra challenges ("find the golden mushroom", "don't get hit", "only toggle the terrain X times", etc.) and the time goals to be fun and add a little spice/challenge to a game which does need it.

FFX - Up to Bevelle. The scene in Home gets me every time, man.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: April 24, 2016, 08:21:58 PM »
jsh: You did miss it. It's in Farron Keep. From the bonfire right before the big torch door, turn left and hug the wall. Past the crab and the mushroom graveyard, you'll find a trio of Swamp Thing Cleric Beasts guarding some shiny item. Killing a specific one of the three drops the bow, another the hat.

I actually thought bows were OP in DS2 (for exploration, not so much for bosses), but that's because mostly poison was so unfair in that game.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: April 24, 2016, 08:28:00 PM »
I actually found it slightly before you posted, though I'm so near the end it won't get much time to shine.

Bows were crazily good in demon's souls. Along with almost everything else!

Re: the comment on estus being underpowered, well, I thought the same thing until later in the game. Ds3 might have the best flask once upgraded.