Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 117349 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #1051 on: May 09, 2016, 06:28:01 AM »
srs
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: May 09, 2016, 07:05:57 AM »
  Part of me wonders how much is intentional and how much is just some tables being misaligned in DBs at some point.

There's a lot of stuff out of whack.  Poise being the most noticeable.  Also dex is supposed to reduce falling damage, but I can tell you it has no effect on that whatsoever.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: May 09, 2016, 07:12:58 AM »
Poise I know about (and have bitched about incessantly).

Dex not doing the fall damage reduction I didn't know, which is weird because the spell and ring that do the same thing are fucking crazy good.

It could be that the breakpoint for it is crazy high?  I think Demons's you needed 20 Dex for the fall damage reduction and it was just all or nothing (and useless other than like... 2 points?  Like 2-2 and dropping off to not die in 3-1 for a terrible ring?)

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: May 09, 2016, 11:42:32 AM »
Langrisser Re:Incarnation

How can you make another Langrisser game without the sexy Urushiara art?  The stuff they replaced it with looks like something made in a 3D RPG maker.  Holy shit how did this game get funded for localization?

There's just a lot of QoL features missing from the game that just makes it feel like another Hoshigami.  Menus are poorly done, shops don't give you a preview feature, no during battle save option, and garbage enemy AI.

I'll stick with the bablefish translated version.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: May 09, 2016, 12:17:35 PM »

How can you make another Langrisser game without the sexy Urushiara art?  The stuff they replaced it with looks like something made in a 3D RPG maker.  Holy shit how did this game get funded for localization?

There's just a lot of QoL features missing from the game that just makes it feel like another Hoshigami.  Menus are poorly done, shops don't give you a preview feature, no during battle save option, and garbage enemy AI.

<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: May 09, 2016, 01:07:44 PM »
It could be that the breakpoint for it is crazy high?  I think Demons's you needed 20 Dex for the fall damage reduction and it was just all or nothing (and useless other than like... 2 points?  Like 2-2 and dropping off to not die in 3-1 for a terrible ring?)

I'm up to 46 dex and nothing has kicked in yet.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: May 09, 2016, 03:46:10 PM »
Fire Emblem Conquest: Completed finally!

What's to say other than the game is really good.  I say this even though Hard Mode frustrated me to hell in ways I haven't seen since Thracia 776.  The plot was a little underwhelming; all the concepts and plot points are there, but I feel it was almost rushed at times, and there was filler that could have been cut down for better development?  Radiant Dawn seems to definitely have the strongest plot in the series still, though I think Conquest really could have put up a decent fight if it was handled better (this is compared to games like FE7 where even if it was better written, I don't think it'd be particularly stand out.)

Won't go into details, and you all know the details!  Not sure when I'll do birthright.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: May 09, 2016, 07:05:04 PM »
I doubt any weapon you can bleed/poison would have decent buildup.  I can try later with that Ghru Dagger I have.  (Fun Fact: Poisoning the Rotten Ghru Dagger actually improves the C scaling of STR/DEX but the actual scaling AR goes down anyway.)

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: May 09, 2016, 07:06:52 PM »
I actually downvote fake "fake wall" messages because you guys that was funny for maybe five seconds the first time I saw it several games ago.

Counterpoint:
If there were no troll messages, illusory walls would have no purpose.
If you saw an "Illusory wall here" message, you wouldn't get the thrill of wondering, and finding out, whether this message is actually true or not.
You wouldn't attack walls with your zweihander for a few seconds wondering if maybe the message was correct but you didn't hit the correct wall. You'd just go through the pointless motions instead.

Troll messages actually help world building and atmosphere. Messages that tell you to maybe jump in this pit it will be allright are even better about this, because they tremendously up the stakes and test your curiosity.

So thank god for trolls <3
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 11:42:49 PM by Fenrir »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: May 09, 2016, 07:12:52 PM »

I stand firm in my opinion that L2 trans is the lowest of low and whoever touches it needs to question his or her own intelligence.

But whoever touches the Langrisser Re: is even worse and deserve no pity.
Serious, Langrisser without Career Soft sucks. We should have learned that lesson a decade ago.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: May 09, 2016, 11:40:11 PM »
RIP Eph, dunno how you are going to come back from that.

I disagree Fen, but that's why you are awesome.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: May 10, 2016, 12:44:43 AM »
DS3:  I just killed Jon Snow and Ser Jorah Mormont.  I fucking love this game.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: May 10, 2016, 03:06:52 AM »
DS3: So I made a poison claw. I don't think I can defend this as a tactically advisable weapon, but there is a degree of satisfaction to indefinitely stunlocking Lothric knights while they explode with blood and poison that is difficult to convey in words other than Revenge.

Then the next boss I fight immunes both statuses. RIP

Also I had some spare levels to up INT and take some more utility spells so I went back to Orbeck to buy them and GONE. FAQ time. Wait, that's a thing that can happen? Ass. I guess it's a good thing I didn't care too much about the Morion Blade.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: May 10, 2016, 03:26:29 AM »
You didn't hand in like ANY scrolls?  I guess on replays you wouldn't mindless item hoover as much as on first run through

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: May 10, 2016, 08:47:08 AM »

I stand firm in my opinion that L2 trans is the lowest of low and whoever touches it needs to question his or her own intelligence.

Serious, Langrisser without Career Soft sucks. We should have learned that lesson a decade ago.

To be fair I didn't pay for it, a mistake I made with Legend of Legacy.  It also managed to fulfil my "my bad games of the year" since I don't have a PS4 to play Star Ocean 5.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1067 on: May 10, 2016, 07:34:33 PM »

To be fair I didn't pay for it, a mistake I made with Legend of Legacy.  It also managed to fulfil my "my bad games of the year" since I don't have a PS4 to play Star Ocean 5.

Still struggling with whether to applaud SO5 for changing the costumes to make the children less sexy or ask why they did it in the first place.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: May 10, 2016, 08:59:23 PM »
You didn't hand in like ANY scrolls?  I guess on replays you wouldn't mindless item hoover as much as on first run through

Oh I still pick up pretty much everything even when I know I won't need some specific item. (Except in the Demon Ruins, fuck that place.) I just hadn't bothered handing in the scrolls because hey, I didn't need to use them yet. Too late now!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: May 10, 2016, 09:13:41 PM »
Still struggling with whether to applaud SO5 for changing the costumes to make the children less sexy or ask why they did it in the first place.

Literally too distracted by the lady with the G-cups wearing one half of a chess board to notice sexualized minors.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: May 11, 2016, 12:05:17 AM »

Literally too distracted by the lady with the G-cups wearing one half of a chess board to notice sexualized minors.

*searches SO5 characters*
*immediately sees what Jim is talking about*

What the actual fuck with that design.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: May 11, 2016, 02:13:43 AM »
Pokemon Picross

Having spent a small eternity playing this, I'm about a third of the way to the finish line.  Fortunately, I've finally figured out how the method of increasing the baseline picross gain of the daily training works.  So, in a few days I should be upgraded to 10-12 picrites gained per day instead of 9-11.  It should also be worthwhile pretty soon for me to scrape up the picrites to enter Alt-World (the mega pencil is still a ways away, though it at least has the upshot that I know how many picrites I'll be able to get once I buy that).

PXZ2

Just finished Chapter 26, still able to one shot most of the mooks.  Definitely also picking out which of the units feel more useful than others.  For example, Ingrid and Phoenix are both solos that focus on shield breaking, but Phoenix opens with his shield breaking, while Ingrid closes with hers.

Aside from that, I'm enjoying the fact that they're mixing up the map designs and goals a touch.  Ch 26 being a good example where you need to defend something, and you have four fronts you need to guard.  Makes it worthwhile to hunt down the ZoC doublers.  Plotwise, they're also finally starting to have the cast be proactive, and the Dragonturtle is proving a good addition because it gives them more control over where they go and also serves as a nice method of adding problems so it isn't all just getting randomly zapped from place to place (though still a lot of that).  Finally, the enemies lie.  I love it when they do that and when the heros are smart enough to figure it out.  Bonus points for having Phoenix point out the contradiction, giving him his music when he does, and giving Saya a freakout.  Sadly, no special pictures to go with it.

Still expecting the Solos to get a third skill slot after chapter 30.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: May 11, 2016, 01:47:06 PM »
It's probably worth noting, in case you don't already know, that you don't get any picrites or anything from completing the missions in Alt-World. Unless you count the achievements for completing massive numbers of them.

What does control the daily training amounts? I've never been sure whether it's number of areas unlocked in total, or number of 'tiers' of areas unlocked in total. Assuming it's not something else altogether.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: May 11, 2016, 04:59:04 PM »

I wish I could go back in time to prevent Big Bang just so that abomination would never have a chance to exist.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: May 11, 2016, 10:34:16 PM »
I will take terrible things for $500 Bob.

I wish I could go back in time to prevent Big Bang just so that abomination would never have a chance to exist.

What is Ar Tonelico 3?