Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 117242 times)

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #1075 on: May 11, 2016, 11:22:00 PM »
"Anime was a mistake"

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: May 12, 2016, 12:43:58 AM »
Sunless Sea and Fallen London: Well now I am playing Fallen London and whenever Fallen London Timebux is low I switch to Sunless Sea, made by the same team and that takes place in the same universe. This is what I do.

The writing between two games is similar, but they feel like opposites. Fallen London is very relaxed and has a lighter tone; most actions you do just make you get at least More Stuff, and anything bad like Scandal is relatively easy to take care of, or not that much of a bother.
Sunless Sea is a survival game with stressful food / fuel / cargo management, that forces you to always go deeper in the unknown (unless you want to grind earlier areas for hours lol) I am terrified whenever I have to make a choice in Sunless Sea because I cannot afford any setback ever. It's also the kind of game that gives elements that make you feel comfortable then brutally removes them.

Both games have very unusual rules and lore, a lot is taken for granted with no exposition, and you kinda have to learn everything about how the world works and who are the big players there by yourself? It is like the first month at a new company, except it rules.
For example, Fallen London will casually mention that you spend an evening playing Guess The Weight Of The Spider, with no context given. It's great.
The bit of lore actually available during loading is always clever "Rubbery Men are social outcasts. Their physiognomy is distressing and they lack the wealth necessary for acceptable eccentricity." ""Who goes to the tomb-colonies? When you hear 'colony', think 'leper colony', not Rio. No-one goes there. Well, tomb-colonists. A few intrepid or desperate tramp-steamer captains. Particularly stupid tourists. Missionaries suffering from bomb-proof optimism."

My favourite moments was when I got a weird statue from a stranger, and then decided to have a big party and sacrifice an animal to the statue there just to show off to my acquaintances.
This is really turning into one of my favourite franchises

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: May 12, 2016, 01:44:18 AM »
"You unlocked this by having no Hungover Terriers"
"You unlocked this by having no Preening Macaws"
"You unlocked this by having no Racing Slug of Fine Pedigrees"
"You unlocked this by having no Partisan Messenger Tortoises"

Fenrir what's happening

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: May 12, 2016, 02:49:31 AM »
I wanted to like Sunless Sea, but it felt incredibly punitive and anti-fun to me when I was after a pick up and play game, not a time sinker.  I dug the tie in game they made for Dragon Age Inquisition which was why I checked it out.  Fallen London sounds like I should give it a spin instead.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1079 on: May 12, 2016, 04:44:23 AM »
I wanted to like Sunless Sea, but it felt incredibly punitive and anti-fun to me when I was after a pick up and play game, not a time sinker.  I dug the tie in game they made for Dragon Age Inquisition which was why I checked it out.  Fallen London sounds like I should give it a spin instead.

Also ships need to move 2x as fast at minimum.  Too much time just sitting there.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: May 12, 2016, 04:58:01 AM »
That was part of the anti-fun definitely.  Starting off its like, no idea where to go, no idea how anything works, getting anywhere is slow and my food supply dwindles with no concept of opportunities to refill or anything.

There is a lot of cool going on but as history shows I don't much like getting into a fist fight in a dark room where my opponent actually has for arms and 6 knives in each hand.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: May 12, 2016, 07:11:12 AM »
Cid, I need somebody to play Pass The Cat with in Fallen London. What is your character's name.
I am serious.

Both games have some barrier to you reading all the text (f2p elements for Fallen London, slow map exploration and survival needs for Sunless Sea) and I don't quite think they'd work at all if there was nothing stopping you from reading everything. I still wish that something was better in both games though.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: May 12, 2016, 07:49:28 AM »
The Dragon Age Inquisition (Symphony) minigame thing was maximum F2P stuff.  It played out over a week real time (cash money to turbo through it).  That was part of the appeal.  It was pretty rad.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: May 12, 2016, 12:28:11 PM »
Oh man you should definitely try out Fallen London if you liked the writing in the Dragon Age spinoff then..
Because the setting is >>> Dragon Age's
And I'll talk to you about my nightmares

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: May 12, 2016, 02:53:37 PM »
I've re-listened to the Bloodborne OST and it is more rad than I remember. (Darkbeast is cool) I think the more frantic pace makes the music less noticeable

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: May 12, 2016, 09:35:53 PM »
Cid, I need somebody to play Pass The Cat with in Fallen London. What is your character's name.
I am serious.

I thought about this and decided first I'd see whether the game offers any opportunity to do anything subversive from afar (which should be easy from my end because obviously we all know what your name would be). It seems like I need a place to live before doing stuff like that, though, and I'm not presently persuasive enough for an old lady to let me into her house.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:39:34 PM by El Cideon »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: May 12, 2016, 10:13:41 PM »
Langrisser Re:Incarnation

How can you make another Langrisser game without the sexy Urushiara art?  The stuff they replaced it with looks like something made in a 3D RPG maker.  Holy shit how did this game get funded for localization?

There's just a lot of QoL features missing from the game that just makes it feel like another Hoshigami.  Menus are poorly done, shops don't give you a preview feature, no during battle save option, and garbage enemy AI.

I'll stick with the bablefish translated version.

<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

I stand firm in my opinion that L2 trans is the lowest of low and whoever touches it needs to question his or her own intelligence.

But whoever touches the Langrisser Re: is even worse and deserve no pity.
Serious, Langrisser without Career Soft sucks. We should have learned that lesson a decade ago.

To be fair I didn't pay for it, a mistake I made with Legend of Legacy.  It also managed to fulfil my "my bad games of the year" since I don't have a PS4 to play Star Ocean 5.

SO5 has PS3 version, so no excuse.
But since it is still not as bad as Langrisser Re:, it won't cover your bad game list.
SO5 is more of a victim of "Square don't give enough budget to anything that's not FF, KH, or phone games" syndrome, to the point they are literally copy pasting things from SO3.

Hm? The chessboard lady? Well yeah, didn't she did a good job at what she should be doing? Making the people who are complaining about minors are not sexualized to look stupid by being the better sex item who stands right next to the none sexualized minor?

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: May 12, 2016, 10:25:27 PM »
Here I Stand

Turn 1 went well.  After Luther nabbed a stunning victory in the Diet of Worms and rushed towards the southern electorates, Trier and Koln proved to be stubbornly resistant to Protestantism and stayed true to their Catholic roots.  This is nice since the Pope has other things to worry about what with the Hapsburgs deciding they wanted to send a force down to Milan, taking it after a gutsy field battle from the French went horribly for the defenders.  We're now in a position where the French, Holy Roman Empire, and the Papacy are all at war with each other, and France has a mega army ready to march, though it seems to be getting pointed at Spain instead of Italy.

Meanwhile, the Turks are slowly crawling through Hungary, looking like they're going to fight Mohacs, which will present a third front for the Hapsburgs (though, let's face it, we're all pretty sure the fight between the HRE and the Pope is a ploy to scare Venice into the Papal sphere.)

As for me, my deal with the French went swimmingly.  When I decided to subdue them, the Scots ran to the French, and got doublecrossed.  Now there's some confused highlanders marching on Valladolid while Henry VIII is having bangers and mash in Edinburgh.  This round, I've got a lot of nice and quiet to explore the new world, build up my army, and start up my divorce.  Because God clearly doesn't give healthy sons to guys who marry their brother's widow.

PXZ2

Up to chapter 28.  I've faced the threat that is Metal Face, but can I best the terror that is Plastic Face?!
Also, average level, 23.  Looks like final attacks are coming in at Lv25.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: May 12, 2016, 10:43:29 PM »
Cid if you're just trying to make me the target of all these scandalous yet probably true rumours already targetting you in Veilgarden
I am going to write a scathing review of your canapés to the duchess
Mark my words

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1089 on: May 13, 2016, 12:51:23 AM »
Langrisser Re:Incarnation

How can you make another Langrisser game without the sexy Urushiara art?  The stuff they replaced it with looks like something made in a 3D RPG maker.  Holy shit how did this game get funded for localization?

There's just a lot of QoL features missing from the game that just makes it feel like another Hoshigami.  Menus are poorly done, shops don't give you a preview feature, no during battle save option, and garbage enemy AI.

I'll stick with the bablefish translated version.

<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

I stand firm in my opinion that L2 trans is the lowest of low and whoever touches it needs to question his or her own intelligence.

But whoever touches the Langrisser Re: is even worse and deserve no pity.
Serious, Langrisser without Career Soft sucks. We should have learned that lesson a decade ago.

To be fair I didn't pay for it, a mistake I made with Legend of Legacy.  It also managed to fulfil my "my bad games of the year" since I don't have a PS4 to play Star Ocean 5.

But since it is still not as bad as Langrisser Re:, it won't cover your bad game list.
SO5 is more of a victim of "Square don't give enough budget to anything that's not FF, KH, or phone games" syndrome, to the point they are literally copy pasting things from SO3.

Hm? The chessboard lady? Well yeah, didn't she did a good job at what she should be doing? Making the people who are complaining about minors are not sexualized to look stupid by being the better sex item who stands right next to the none sexualized minor?

Niu makes a good point - NOBODY can look sexualized in comparison to chessboard-lingerie sorceress...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: May 13, 2016, 01:10:01 AM »
Niu makes a good point.  You have played a terrible game on PS4 this year Eph, but you need to play SO5 on PS3 to meet your PS3 terrible game quota.

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: May 13, 2016, 01:30:05 AM »
Square isn't releasing the PS3 version in North America in attempt to try and push more PS4 consoles.

I have no idea of the overall quality of the game but Toyko Mirage Sessions could be bad enough to sate my quota.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1092 on: May 13, 2016, 01:55:40 AM »
Eh... Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE isn't a bad -GAME-. It's FFX-2 levels of fanfiction-y story and fanservice visuals, but the battles themselves are pretty solid. Most of the mechanics surrounding the battles are good too. But yeah, if you hate J-Pop you might want to skip all cutscenes.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: May 13, 2016, 02:57:49 AM »

Did they copy the basic battle system? Because that would be awesome since SO 3 had a far better battle system than any other ARPG that I've played.

Wait, do you have the game Niu?
...into the nightfall.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: May 13, 2016, 03:13:09 AM »
Oh, and it looks like PS 3 for SO 5might be "Japan Only" because apparently there isn't a PS 3 market in the West?!!? WTF Square-Enix? I would figure among older JRPGs players (which is the group they even note that are targetting), the PS 3 is probably still decently popular. Hopefully I can download this on the PS store, because that would be stupid otherwise.
...into the nightfall.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: May 13, 2016, 03:48:48 AM »
Fallen London - Okay I started.  I am going to be as persuasive an indistinct something as I can try to be.

Edit - Apparently not very persuasive, fail what was listed as 72% chance 4 times in a row.  Succeed when I go back to a 90% chance one. 

I missed this play loop.  It is fun instant response and bars filling up.  Have enjoyed it even back to the days of that Legend of the Red Dragon knock off I played in high school.

Edit 2 - Apparently pretty persuasive.  Spent all Timebux, regen some.  Go for 32% chance to get a place to live.  Succeed.  Already better at this game than Cid.  Eat it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 04:23:50 AM by Grefter »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: May 13, 2016, 06:19:21 AM »
Oh, and it looks like PS 3 for SO 5might be "Japan Only" because apparently there isn't a PS 3 market in the West?!!? WTF Square-Enix? I would figure among older JRPGs players (which is the group they even note that are targetting), the PS 3 is probably still decently popular. Hopefully I can download this on the PS store, because that would be stupid otherwise.

It's not about there being a market, it's about Sony wanting to sell PS4s and probably cutting SE a cheque to make it exclusive in North America.

Eh... Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE isn't a bad -GAME-. It's FFX-2 levels of fanfiction-y story and fanservice visuals, but the battles themselves are pretty solid. Most of the mechanics surrounding the battles are good too. But yeah, if you hate J-Pop you might want to skip all cutscenes.

Well as per Dhyer's comments, the same is possibly true of SO5, after all. The series has generally had pretty good gameplay! (I'm not a big fan of SO2's, but it certainly moved the bar in terms of ARPGs for its time.) I assume the knocks on the game will come from other things, as they always do with the series, whether or not you agree with any given criticism.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: May 13, 2016, 06:42:58 AM »
To make the joke for you Elf, the most the bar moves is when you knock it down.

Fallen London - yesssssssssssss.  I need to find some Rostygolds and then this artist's heart will be mine and mine will be his.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: May 13, 2016, 07:23:04 AM »
Breath of Death VII - Beaten! It was definitely Cthulhu minus in most ways. The most noteworthy differences:

-While CStW writing isn't my favourite thing in the world, it at least is there. BoD7 very much feels more like a Dragon Quest in that dialog and plot is very sparse.  The player characters have so little agency in their "quest" (they learn the goal during the final boss sequence!) it feels like it's making fun of something, but I'm not certain what. Needless to say this didn't work very well for me.
-No defend command is very strategically limiting. Cthulhu made the two variations on defend of huge strategic importance, for it to be gone entirely feels like it rips the heart out of some of the strategic decisions you could make. Of lesser but still notable importance is the lack of the insanity mechanic. There are just fewer interesting choices as a result. (Also, no party choice.)
-While I'm never sure how I feel about save points vs. save anywhere for a dungeon mechanic, I will say that BoD7 had considerably too few save points. On a couple occasions I lost 20 battles' worth of progress. It really encourages you to retreat to a save point often... which also acts as a recovery point and thus removes a lot of the resource management if you do this. I definitely feel Cthulhu letting you save more often and thus avoid this problem was a better choice.

Anyway I don't mean to sound too negative on the game, it was certainly still fun. Zeboyd definitely has some good ideas: tough individual encounters, enemy offence rising 10% each turn to punish turtling, and varied, interesting, well-documented skillsets all contribute to a battle system with solid tactical decision-making which was enjoyable for the short little romp that the game was. Also if you're going to only have one battle theme, a la FF1, at least BoD7 has the sense to make it a good one. 6/10 I think.

FFX - Tough set of bosses for the challenge at last!

First was Seymour Flux, who could OHKO everyone over 2x over at once with Cross Cleave. But with Protect and defending before the attack is used (it's a called shot), it was survivable! Sadly he calls the shot by using Dispel a turn before, but I could get around that by switching out my tanks prior to Dispel being used. Below half HP he can use Total Annihilation which just KOs everyone no matter what and can't be blocked by an aeon, but fortunately poison prevents him from going into limit mode, so I did that and then blitzed him.

Then I beat Sanctuary Keeper, which was tough because he had a 1000-damage MT overdrive (i.e. not reduceable by Protect/Shell/Breaks/etc.) which he uses on the opening turn and at set intervals thereafter. Only Auron can survive it and it inflicts confuse/sleep sometimes so yeaaah this isn't really an option, have to block it with an aeon. Aside from that he is mostly about getting around his healing, which you can do by reflecting him and switching out or dispelling anyone he casts reflect on.

Spectral Keeper had a OHKO counter even through Protect but shenanigans to get people out of his facing helped. Also by now I could 4HKO him with Yuna's or Lulu's Doublecast. >:)

Yunalesca's Mind Blast was extremely damaging, pretty much had to cast Shell to survive it, use what little confuse protection I had, stay healed and pray. Of course staying healed when she zombies you repeatedly is its own annoyance, and Mega Death prevents just de-zombieing everyone. Hairy but I know her pattern so it was manageable.

Currently collecting Jecht Spheres because why not. Already making plans for another playthrough, might check out the Steam version and finally get International content + hey frameskip and remastered graphics are cool, right?

Super Mario Kart - Sorry guys I've officially stepped into the nostalgia zone, currently doing 150 cc auto-mini for reasons I probably shouldn't have to explain.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: May 13, 2016, 11:48:23 AM »
Is Fallen London iOS only?