Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 117241 times)

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #1300 on: June 02, 2016, 05:17:41 AM »
Fallen London: To the Topsy King!

EDIT: Is anyone else here at the point in their shadowy career where it's just better to spam hanging out in alleys and using the items to boost your shadowy instead of actually doing content? I wanna know who it is most lucrative to spam with invites.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 09:24:40 AM by Makkotah »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: June 02, 2016, 11:24:30 AM »
Yeah, shadowy has been pretty difficult to raise lately for me. Spite is too easy and the Flint is too difficult.

What I really need, though, is candles. Lots and lots of candles. But I can't find a reliable enough source.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: June 02, 2016, 12:49:57 PM »
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call - been playing this, and getting single player advice from Meeple.  Currently hunting down cards to make Terra an unstoppable Goddess.

Things I had to be reminded of:
You can only get six drops per stage.
Vs. AI is not fun at all.
Grinding specific drops when you can only get six at a time takes FOREVER.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: June 03, 2016, 12:09:08 AM »
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call - been playing this, and getting single player advice from Meeple.  Currently hunting down cards to make Terra an unstoppable Goddess.

Things I had to be reminded of:
You can only get six drops per stage.
Vs. AI is not fun at all.
Grinding specific drops when you can only get six at a time takes FOREVER.

It's kinda hilarious how much better Terra is than, like, any other unit?  She babysat nearly my entire roster. (They're all 99 now.  I like Curtain Call.)

In terms of items, I guess I would suggest that you not worry overly much about getting specific stuff?  Depends on what your goal is with the game, but you can achieve most forms of success with the items you would get from playing normally - unless your goal is explicitly to collect rare items.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: June 03, 2016, 01:14:15 AM »
It's kinda hilarious how much better Terra is than, like, any other unit?  She babysat nearly my entire roster. (They're all 99 now.  I like Curtain Call.)

In terms of items, I guess I would suggest that you not worry overly much about getting specific stuff?  Depends on what your goal is with the game, but you can achieve most forms of success with the items you would get from playing normally - unless your goal is explicitly to collect rare items.

Well, uh...  I got three of my goals for Terra done.

Her HP is 9999, her CP is 99 without being Max Star Level, and her Magic is 999.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: June 03, 2016, 02:10:25 AM »
Fallen London

Holy shit, hanging out on corners with Fen just tanked my Connection to Society from 20 something to 10.

If you haven't already started doing Persuasion stuff in the Shuttered Palace, y'all should take care of the shadowy storyline stuff first holy shit.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: June 03, 2016, 02:29:06 AM »
Fallen London:  I am nearly at the end of my Ambition.  To continue I need to:

Get a running battle up to 4
...that only comes from cards
...the card requires an expensive item
...that I can steal with 20% chance with my current Shadowy
...oh and did I mention the card jacks up my Nightmares?

#thisgame

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: June 03, 2016, 02:51:11 AM »
Or just cash out Society rep beforehand.  You can convert it to Wine at the Palace or Street Signs at Court.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: June 03, 2016, 07:08:07 AM »
A notice to everyone who is playing Bravely Second.

REPLAY THE BEGINNING OF BRAVELY DEFAULT before you tackle the final portion of Bravely Second's chapter 4.
A certain someone's insult to you would loose its impact if your memory does not click, so it is best to replay Bravely Default first.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: June 03, 2016, 01:52:12 PM »
TFF:CC - Three days ago, I was at 60000 Rhythmia.  I just broke 100000.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: June 03, 2016, 11:14:01 PM »
My starveling cat saved me from the scowling idol.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: June 04, 2016, 04:19:32 AM »
A notice to everyone who is playing Bravely Second.

REPLAY THE BEGINNING OF BRAVELY DEFAULT before you tackle the final portion of Bravely Second's chapter 4.
A certain someone's insult to you would loose its impact if your memory does not click, so it is best to replay Bravely Default first.

I think the person playing it now might be me unfortunately!
...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: June 04, 2016, 06:29:45 PM »
I am, I'm early in Chapter 1. Just been too lazy to post here recently!

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: June 05, 2016, 12:56:06 AM »
I have it, but Fire Emblem getting priority still, which losing its play time to

Fallen London - I am scared to do things at the University.  There is two sides to pick from an investigation that I know can lock you out forever and so many different cards that rotate as you progress the Term and I am at like 60% success rate for most of them.

Has a nice Nightmare dump though.

Zenny has me grinder up to 50ish Shadowy just helping him out which is cool. 

I decided I wanted that threesome from the Court so sold my token from that and started it up again.  Preeeeeetty grindy there Fen, you are right.

Also decided I want to write a book with as much Potential as I can.  So started that.  Got 44 pages banked.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: June 05, 2016, 03:02:09 AM »
Bravely Second

Huh, there's a hotsprings scene?  Did we need it?  Ah well, it's quick at least.  Princess person seems to still be the focus, despite having an entire town of allies apparently having been kidnapped by a "mysterious" person.  Oh well.

For sidequests, have picked up Red Mage, White Mage, Swordmaster, and...  dunno which one I'll be going with next, but looks like my options are Black Mage or Ranger.  Looking at what I've already gotten, and remembering how black magic went in BD, I'm thinking Ranger may be the superior option.  Theoretically, there will also be an ethical dilemma which will be attached to this, but I think having Swordmaster on this list has shown that gameplay goodies are trumping moral considerations.

Hmm, check out the start of BD near the end of this game?  Seems like overkill, but will consider it.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: June 05, 2016, 03:37:23 AM »
Gref: i decided Im just gonna grindr til all my stats are at 50 so get ready to play some chess then wrassle a lot

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: June 05, 2016, 07:09:35 AM »
Hmm, check out the start of BD near the end of this game?  Seems like overkill, but will consider it.

Just the very beginning, and that should be it.
At the end of ch.4, someone throw out an insult with a very specific meaning.
But you kinda have to remember something from the beginning of BD to get that insult.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: June 05, 2016, 07:23:06 AM »
Bravely Second

Huh, there's a hotsprings scene?  Did we need it?  Ah well, it's quick at least.  Princess person seems to still be the focus, despite having an entire town of allies apparently having been kidnapped by a "mysterious" person.  Oh well.

For sidequests, have picked up Red Mage, White Mage, Swordmaster, and...  dunno which one I'll be going with next, but looks like my options are Black Mage or Ranger.  Looking at what I've already gotten, and remembering how black magic went in BD, I'm thinking Ranger may be the superior option.  Theoretically, there will also be an ethical dilemma which will be attached to this, but I think having Swordmaster on this list has shown that gameplay goodies are trumping moral considerations.

I did took Black Magic, and I've been happy with it so far. Pairs well with Spellcraft for more MP intensive nukes (although Ranger would definitely have a use too and could pair very well with Hawkeye).
...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: June 05, 2016, 07:24:08 AM »
FFX - Finished my challenge run of this (i.e. everyone with their base HP + 200, or base HP in Auron's case). I beat the Omega Ruins because I could. Omega/Ultimate Weapon were both "beat them before they use their MT attack" but in the NA version of the game they have about as much HP as the tankiest randoms do and this is thus very easy. The toughest things here are still Spirits with their MT status counter. Which now doubles as borderline OHKO damage. Murdering them with Doublecast worked fine though.

I had three PCs with Doublecast and they all had their celestial weapons and Flare/Ultima and generally this was pretty bad times for the enemies.

I lost once to Jecht because I decided to SCAN him at one point and didn't realise this gave him Overdrive, which led me to see Ultimate Jecht Shot which is RIP. Besides that, non-BDL magic does consistent 9999 to the Pagodas to one-shot him, and Armour Break + Protect + Stamina Tonics = actually his damage is quite bad even against my HP, outside from Overdrives (which ignore all this). And Talk exists for those.

Seymour I just had to summon aeons against Ultima but wasn't bad otherwise.

Super Mario Kart - All PCs, auto-mini, all cups, no restarting races (including rankouts), 1st place overall. Bowser Castle 3 ended many a run, and I don't want to talk about Special Cup.

Bravely Second - In Chapter 1, as mentioned. I got Red Mage for my branch job, I dunno if that was the right choice or not (both Thief and RM were kinda underwhelming jobs in BD, though so far I've been pleasantly impressed with Cure being more potent than Heal at least for now, though it does cost more MP and require decent Mind). Still I wasn't gonna side with De Rosa, c'mon.

Side note: apparently Bravely Second does take place in the same world as the majority of Bravely Default, i.e. the one where DeRosa was a serial rapist. When he reappears in this game, the PCs who know him allude to this only by saying that he was lech and manipulated women. They certainly don't like him, to be clear, but it's not painted as that big a deal, y'know? Um. Writers, writers: habitually drugging women and dragging them off to your secret dungeon is not a comic foible. The PCs should just haul him off to prison immediately instead of listening to his strange out-of-character spiel about energy research.

Given that the writing team thought this was a good idea, I'm sure nobody will be surprised when I say that the rest of the plot is generally dumb and other than the odd funny moment (e.g. Yew writing in his diary, Nikolai in general) I feel like I'd be happier skipping most of it, which is disappointing since BD wasn't in the trash plot tier but BS seems like it is. Buuut fortunately the gameplay is really great. BD was already very solid and the changes in this game feel for the better, there are more polish options in the battle menus (such as being able to repeat actions 2 or 4 times with a single button press), better documentation of spells, and you are able to see abilities you haven't learned yet. There are also "lurking enemies" fights which are a nifty addition (essentially: you are told at the start of the fight that as soon as you beat it you will fight another random immediately with no BP restoration, which really influences how you brave-blitz the fight and what resources you spend). Have they just replaced normal ambushes entirely? I haven't seen one. My only complaint with the gameplay is they've parcelled out jobs a little slower at least at first, though the pace seems to be catching up now.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: June 05, 2016, 07:50:50 AM »
Um. Writers, writers: habitually drugging women and dragging them off to your secret dungeon is not a comic foible. The PCs should just haul him off to prison immediately instead of listening to his strange out-of-character spiel about energy research.

you clearly just dont get japanese culture
dont sensor them you sjw

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: June 05, 2016, 08:33:11 AM »
Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest - played through the Conquest path, normal+casual-with-resets

Top killers - Avatar: 163; Mozu: 92; Odin: 50

I generally had a good time with the game, but it feels like some things don't really gel with the Conquest path - assuming that you're expected to get as many children as possible. On the parent side of the equation, I ended up having to sell most of my stat boosters in order to afford master seals for everyone. Not that I was planning on using the stat boosters anyway, but still grates on me. On the child side of the equation - I only got access to the majority of them between chapters 23 and 24, which ultimately meant that I didn't even end up using a few of them with the final chapters essentially putting a clamp on party rotation. Also means that none of the children ended up getting married, the furthest any of them got as B rank.

Speaking of B ranks... it's kind of appalling that I can open my final castle save and look at Sophie, who has B ranks in swordkatanas and lancenaginatas by virtue of the offspring seal, then look at her father who's still stuck on C and D ranks for the same (is also 8 levels lower, but that won't make a great deal of difference weaponrankswise). I have two A ranks, one of them is the Avatar's rank in dragonstones, the other is Xander's rank in swordkatanas (and I think he starts with it?). And they expected me to have gotten S-ranks in anything? Maybe if I spent literal days repeating DLC chapters over and over, assuming you even get weaponrank XP in them.

I bought the first wave of DLC but decided that I'd hold off on playing any of it until the revelation branch rather than repeating it on each branch.

So yeah, it feels to me like the game expected me to have way, way more doing-things-time than it was actually prepared to give me - or - it expected me to never rotate my party, and consequently forego the children of anyone I wasn't using and so on. I can't believe the latter is true for contemporary Fire Emblem, though.

The most infuriating chapter I can recall offhand is the Ignatius paralogue, where with the scaling in place between chapters 23 and 24 Ignatius seems pretty much guaranteed to die the turn after the ninjas reach him. I'm assuming that's not the case if it's done earlier. Meanwhile, I really only have one unit which can survive the rush over there - so it's a game of 'Will the maid with the Freeze staff miss'. Terrible chapter.

Flipping through the chapter summaries, I also had more resets than ideal on the ninja chapter, but I don't really recall if there was a major issue with it. I'm pretty sure that I beat it the first time I started taking the time to toggle all the barriers when I had previously been generally ignoring the option, so maybe there's something in that. Also had a heap of trouble with the Forrest paralogue, but it was mainly due to incompetence.

My terribleness at the series aside, I don't really want to know what all this is like on harder difficulties.

I might end up using DLC maps to finish out the support lines I didn't get finished here at some point. Not sure.

It feels like there are getting to be too many esoteric weapons. Game, you just added in whole katana/etc branches of weapons, I don't also need Laslow's blade and Effie's lance and Xander's lance and so on, especially if you're going to do things like have Xander's lance cast Rally Strength on the surrounding enemies after use. Especially especially if you're going to have the optimise loadout function continually equip Xander's Lance as the primary weapon on my lieutenant.

Speaking of Mozu, the Life Or Death skill seems like it's balanced way in the enemy's favour in this game. Glad that she got that at the end of a chapter so that I was able to take it off her before it caused me any grief. Migrate to a game where characters can survive more than a handful of hits, skill.

I feel like I should play something else before starting on Birthright in an attempt to stave off burnout, but I also kind of want Birthright out of the way before #FE is released. Hm.

Recently, I got sufficiently fed up with my Android 2.1 phone playing up and replaced it with an Android 6 phone, which theoretically makes the world of mobile gaming available to me. So - is there anything worth playing on mobile outside of Dragon Quest 1-3 and possibly Adventures of Mana and all the bravest? (Keeping in mind that I can essentially only connect to the internet with it at home, although it doesn't seem particularly likely that I would be playing anything on it anywhere else anyway.)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 08:37:14 AM by Twilkitri »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: June 05, 2016, 11:45:31 AM »
Fuck Dark Souls 3 PVP.  Fuck it for being worthless and pointless.

40 minutes spent in the Roads of Sacrifice.  8 minutes of it spent playing Roads of Sacrifice.  32 minutes spent engaged in some kind of PVP with most of it people running around in circles lagging like crazy so that they can just estus straight in your face.

We beat Crystal Magus on my brothers game.

My game we got invaded by a Mad Spirit who Estused 6 times then black crystaled out.  Then I died to Farron Watchkeeper who backed up into the 2 knights.

I fucking hate the PVP in this game so fucking much because it takes up significantly more of my time than DS1 and 2 and provides absolutely 0 fucking benefit to the invaded.  DS1 gave you Humanity.  DS2 gave you an Effigy.  This?  Like half a soul and 20 minutes of boredom while someone decides that its SUPER DOOPER ORIGINAL COOL GUY IDEA to run to the deep water and then side step with a dagger (One person fought for a bit, ran to there and crystalled out when we were like k bye).

The fucking worst in the series. 

Oh and like the first 1/3 of the game you can't buy Lloyd's Talismans.  So that infinite fucking Estus chugging is just a fact of life.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: June 05, 2016, 01:38:22 PM »
May be an Australia thing because I don't have a lot of problems with lag here in the States.  There's an option in the menu that I think restricts pvp to your region only which may help with the lag.

@Twil:  Final Fantasy Record Keeper is the best thing on mobile.  I'd avoid traditional RPGs because touchscreen controls are horrible for navigating dungeons.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: June 05, 2016, 01:54:18 PM »
While I have no interest at all in defending DS3 PVP (the "Step back two paces and estus whenever wounded" thing is indeed infuriating to watch every time), the one possible benefit to the host is that killing an invader can refresh some of your own estus charges (as well as those of any allied phantoms).

Of course, this doesn't matter if you used more of them in beating the invader then you actually got back, which you probably did since they've got heals for days and will always, always use them. But it is a thing that's there. FAKE EDIT: I'd also second the Captain's suggestion. I have my game set to connect with my region only (unless I'm trying to match some specific person overseas) and lag is typically not a major issue that way.

Fallen London: Meanwhile I am making basically no progress with anything. Court romance is an awful, awful grind. I have 75 Persuasive (86 with equipment) and all my success rates are in the fifties. This isn't outright terrible, but depending on the method, failure gets me Scandal and/or loss of progress in the quest. Some days when I've been really unlucky I've actually made retrograde progress in Fascinating. So now I just spam the safest option, which doesn't help much and is boring and I have 3K pieces of silk from it by this point, but is at least safe in that it can't reverse my progress in the quest (just build up Scandal to ludicrous levels). Meanwhile I spend at least half my turns in church recovering. This morning: spend a dozen turns in church to remove Scandal from yesterday (which can raise in church too on a failure!), spend remaining turns trying to boost Fascinating, get it up all of 1 point and be dangerously high on Scandal again afterward. I feel like I should be writing more stuff to boost Persuasive before really attempting this, only after I selected the option to start a novel I can't seem to find where I'm able to continue this.

So mostly at this point I'm just burning through opportunity cards for something different. The array of strange dreams is pretty neat.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 01:56:38 PM by El Cideon »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: June 05, 2016, 02:13:01 PM »
Some of it might just be that I always thought base souls PVP is too laggy to be of actual value anyway (swing at the spot they will be in .5 seconds!).

Case in point for fuck DS3 PVP.  Trading items with my brother for a new run he was doing (luck) and going here is some fun items like the dual katanas or Manikin claw.

Went to his world twice.  Invaded twice.  Only there for like 5 minutes.

The game puts you in Host of Embers form straight out of Grundyr.  New players literally going to be invaded the instant they start the main game area if they don't die on the way to Firelink.

Fucking garbage.

For Mobile, Devil's Attorney is a fun little puzzle/RPG boss rush/thingo game.  Otherwise You Have To Build A Boat/1 Million are both great.