Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 117253 times)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #1450 on: June 19, 2016, 12:10:44 AM »
I loved CoL, but I won't contest that the "Austria" plot with Aurora's dad and 2nd wife was handled poorly.  Meeple's right there, too much "SURPRISE this bad thing happened", not enough agency.  To be sure, you can write an interesting side plot which makes a point of the main character only able to watch in horror as things go wrong and they're unable to help, but I don't feel that CoL pulled that off right, either.  The final twist about helping the villagers escape the flood by bringing them into Lemuria was also "SURPRISE magic solves this problem for characters that you never met and don't know, but doesn't help your father who you at least sort of know."

That said, I loved the music myself, and I thought the backplot was quite interesting.  As far as POWER OF FRIENDSHIP, I dunno, I really liked that scene before the final boss, because it made you feel like all those sidequests meant something - various characters coming forward and thanking you for your aid.  I remember the designer saying somewhere that he explicitly wanted these quests to be optional, even if he expected most players to do them, because then it feels like you the player did the right thing and it wasn't just the game on autopilot praising the nice things you were forced to do.  (Darkly amusing on the speedrun, of course, which only does Robert's sidequest...  it's a very short scene there.)

For gameplay, I liked CoL more than Grandia, actually.  Grandia has interrupts but there's too much stuff going on, and initiative is too random, to have it as anything more than a surprise bonus.  CoL builds everything around "anything can interrupt anyone" and puts a laser focus on that, and then gives you the tools in Igniculus to do it better than the AI.  I found the fact that if you screw up, the wheels fly off and you die horribly refreshing, myself.  But fair enough that this isn't to everyone's taste, it certainly does make the game more stressful than it could be otherwise.

The boss with the slow counter to interruptions is Gryphon, and he is indeed one of the most dangerous bosses in the game!  The one asterisk is that he's also the last boss you face with Norah, who is the most brokenly powerful PC in the game.  If he *didn't* have a slow counter then you could run laps around him once full Norah Lull All cheeze was set up.  Felt like they intentionally made him very powerful so that Norah didn't instantly win the fight, similar to trying to balance around a PC Fou-Lu or PC Ghaleon type scenario, if not as extreme.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: June 19, 2016, 03:24:11 AM »
Romancing Saga 2: picked this up for my tablet. It is full of hate, but it's an old Saga game so I knew what I was getting into. On the third generation(not counting Leo as one), currently turtling my way to glory with the Mus Palisade formation because the rules of Imperial succession in Avalon are kinda wonky and I have a yak herder on the throne. I'll be honest, I wouldn't be having as much fun as I am with it if I weren't getting occasional guidance from Niu. Old Saga hates you, but gives you the tools to hate it right back just as hard if you know where to find them, and thanks to Niu I do in fact know where to find enough of them~

Currently running with a Saigo Tribesman(emperor), Crusader(M), Mercenary(M), City Mage(M), Free Mage(F), team is working out pretty well. My Mercenary is morally opposed to learning new techs, sadly. Hasn't gotten a one this generation(running GReatswords), but my Saigo emperor has picked up like 7 new club techs, which is cool. And my Crusader picked up Mince and Divide(on the Splashblade) so he's just churning out ridiculous damage and tossing some rather accurate ID when I need it. I need better MT though, LIGHT BALL is still the best I've got. Grinding up Wind/Fire/Earth magics in hopes of something having better MT soon.

You can get some good MT early if you pay for fusion spells.
But they either hit the same or less than Stone Shower. So do not give into the temptation.
If you really need MT, blink some with bow. Sword and Great Sword also has good MT too. The Axe even has MT ID. Go get that axe in the ice ruin and give it to the pirates once you recruit them.

How to learn good sword MT:
Use normal attack repeatedly until you learn Sonic Slash. It is a sword tech that send out a green projectile. Use that repeatedly until you learn the MT.

How to get great sword MT:
You can learn it of using normal attack. Or use use Victor's favorite tech when he died to Kezzinsie's Life Steal. That tech also give you the same MT.

How to learn axe MT:
Use Wood Cut repeatedly. It is that move that does this green/pinkish cut. It'll lead to Blade Roll the MT move. Blade Roll than leads to Dimension Cut the MT ID. They are all pretty easy to learn too.
BTW, the best Axe move in game is also stupidly easy to learn. Just use Delay Cut, an early game 4 SP move again and again. And you can learn it by mid-game.

How to learn Rod MT:
They all come from normal attack, except Grand Slam.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 06:15:03 AM by Niu »

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: June 19, 2016, 03:55:43 AM »
Thanks!

Though there wasn't an axe in the ice ruin. Unless it was in the chest behind the boss that killed me in one turn. I did find a kickass bow in there, though, so the trip was hardly a waste.

Anyway, RIP Emperor Yak Herder. Picked a fight with a pyrohydra and got wrekt. Guess making that potion to go chase a mermaid isn't gonna happen yet.

Meet the new Emperor...a savanna hunter that we literally just met and saved from some giant termites so there is no possible way he could be related to the royal line even tangentially. What the heck is going on with the rules of imperial succession in this country? He seems pretty cool at least, and hey I now have someone to use the aforementioned kickass bow!
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: June 19, 2016, 06:34:59 AM »
Mermaid quest rewards you nothing. So don't bother. The diving drug is not needed until the Gallon quest too.

The hunter do give a bow focused formation.
What you want to do now is to pick up the mole from the former termite nest.
Then go southward to conquer the desert. It is a easy quest of beating monsters in tower for the Desert Guard person.
If you see the moving lake while traveling through the desert, remember to save. Whether you can go in or not is completely random.
In side the ruin of moving lake (no monster, but Noel might show up, but do not choose to fight him yet), there is a super rapier in a hidden chamber you can't see (run into the wall that's opposite to the chamber in the middle), which you want to give to your mole.
The person inside the ruin. The person inside the ruin well also tell you where the San Ruin is. After that, go exists the desert at the south most exist and you'll see the San Ruin. You can find a super sword in there.

Also, the boss in Ice Ruin. How is your out put right now?
He has 22000 hp only. And you can actually cockblock most of his moves with Imperial Cross.
If your output is good enough, you can destroy him before he kills you with MT.
The way to do is have the decoy in the front use counter/block skill every turn. While the mage at the back hides himself with the fog spell (which does not wear off unless you attack), and concentrate on healing/buffing every turn.

BTW, since the termites are dead now. You want to start save money for University now, so you can fight Bokhon.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: June 19, 2016, 07:35:59 AM »
The boss with the slow counter to interruptions is Gryphon, and he is indeed one of the most dangerous bosses in the game!  The one asterisk is that he's also the last boss you face with Norah, who is the most brokenly powerful PC in the game.  If he *didn't* have a slow counter then you could run laps around him once full Norah Lull All cheeze was set up.

Oh right yeah. Gryphon pretty much got wrecked for me but I remember that now. ST slow's a nice trick and all, but I still have one PC who is significantly faster than you... still, I think Meeple's point is that it arguably makes it better to never interrupt the boss, which is bad design. I'm not certain if I agree, would need to see the fight again, but it's possible.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: June 19, 2016, 07:47:12 AM »
Having a boss that deliberately inverts players expectations I am perfectly fine with.  It is now worse than an FF boss countering Slow wth Haste when everything in the game has been weak to slow.  Also I found timing Defends and manipulating turn order a really nice feedback loop.  Rewarding the player for interacting with the game instead of purely CTB button presses without much actual interaction.  But meh ymmv.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: June 19, 2016, 04:14:33 PM »
FFBE:  So RPGs having unusual enemies in dungeons is nothing new, but this may take the cake.  I'm on top of this icy mountain peak, and here's this giant enemy shark...

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: June 19, 2016, 11:26:35 PM »
Danganronpa: Finished
As expected it became utter anime nonsense at the end, still cool.
Hiro finally became a character at one point, and he does become a character archetype. That archetype is the Fucking Idiot.
This means Sakura ends up being the best character by a mile

Sakura rules

The trans character stuff is really uncomfortable (not on purpose)
At one point one girl is revealed to have a dong (note: it is not Sakura) and from that point on everybody adresses her as a guy.
Prior to that point there's a character who says "Huh, she seems to have more male friends than female friends, isn't it odd??" and in retrospect I have nothing to say about that foreshadowing but "..."
Postgame there's a cute special school mode in which the women and men are divided in the menu, and she's with the males
Her entire plot is that she is trans, but actually suffers from feeling weak and actually want to be a REAL MAN and GET SUPER RIPPED
It is all bad all the way
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 11:28:55 PM by Fenrir »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: June 20, 2016, 06:25:34 AM »
Fenrir: Out of dark curiosity...  is it possible that this character wasn't supposed to be trans?  i.e. they're just in disguise, or a crossdresser, or something? 

It's probably Japan being idiots, my hopes aren't high, but figure it can't hurt to ask.

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: June 20, 2016, 06:55:36 AM »
I think the character is a lot more simpler than being trans.  Much like the rest of Danganronpa every character is an anime stereotype and one of the most popular is being a trap.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: June 20, 2016, 07:12:39 AM »
Well the wiki says she was so bullied as a kid that she started dressing like a girl 24/7 to not be bullied anymore
Which makes no sense

I don't know if that explanation makes things better or worse

I don't think she's meant as a trap because her sexuality is never talked about.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: June 20, 2016, 07:33:15 AM »
In any case

Spoilers

That character is Chihiro. She's murdered relatively in the game. A thorough search of the body makes everybody realize that this character "actually was a boy all along!"

Then they start calling her a he from that point on without knowing anymore about her. So whatever she was doesn't matter

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: June 20, 2016, 07:46:24 AM »
Bravely Second - Geyser Grotto's hard, man. The floors here have themed gimmicks and the enemies are just plain nasty. (Also fast. That's one of the biggest advantages this game's enemies have over BD's, they are faster. Should have gotten thief, maybe?) I'm glad that JL isn't as important to combat performance as it was in BD, but still, yeesh. I think I may be slightly underlevelled judging by the guideline the game has but I'm not really sure how since I've done all the sidequests and don't run/turn off encounters. I guess the game expects me to go for multi-fights more than I do (which is very rarely, because I don't find it terribly practical to do so on Hard).

FF5 - Four Job Fiesta time, I'm trying the new Upgrade mode, which means you go through your four jobs in sequence: once you change to second you can never change back, etc. First was Knight, second is Red Mage. I initially planned to stay in Knight until I got Equip Shield but I walled hard against Byblos: even with Two Hands I did only 150 damage to him after Protect and he has those 67% counters for 300 draining. Hahaha lolno. Switched to Red Mage and blew him up with Fira. It's funny, Knight is pretty great until the water crystal but then definitely starts falling off, bosses start having evade and counters and big elemental weaknesses and the game really really wants you to use magic. Liquid Flame was also really nasty! (I did get Two Hands in the middle of the Karnak escape, though, so I got to shred the remainder of that real bad.) So now I'll be Red Mage for much of the remainder of W1, which won't be too bad. Bard will be next up.

Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3 - Not much to say beyond that I replayed these.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: June 20, 2016, 08:04:17 AM »
Even when I am being inefficient I am too efficient for games.

How is it?  I need to get to it, but am pretty hyped for it.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: June 20, 2016, 08:36:21 AM »
I guess the game expects me to go for multi-fights more than I do (which is very rarely, because I don't find it terribly practical to do so on Hard).

I find that on normal I still mostly only do these once the fights start getting easy.  Just too resource intensive before then.  But once you can start affording to do the multi-fights you should because the gains are noticeably higher.

Conquest -

Pros: Money
Cons: Ninjas want my money.

PXZ2 - Finished, will say more later as I'm lazy now. 

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: June 20, 2016, 06:24:48 PM »
Danganronpa: Finished

Damn. I was hoping for a case by case breakdown as you played. Your theories were usually amusing ;-;

Aren't you happy with who lived?!

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: June 20, 2016, 06:47:05 PM »
I am!

Mysterious girl / Total El Cid bait did grow on me too. I thought she'd die fast like Phoenix Wright's boss did, because she was too good at this.

Nope. Also I totally guessed what was her ultimate thing 3 hours in.
I like how Genocide Jack and Byakuya never ended up killing anybody and how Byakuya remained a total wanker all the way. Oh shit now that I think about it, there were literally no reasons at all for him to make it look like Genocide Jack killed Chihiro. He was just a pure asshole who'd sacrifice his own life just to be the Ultimate Jerk. I like him.

Honestly this game could be renamed "Hope Your Favourite Characters Don't Die: The Game" because I sure spent all my time doing that.

I was right about the culprit in the 1st case (I noticed the culprit's sprite was slightly messier so I figured he would die sooner. IT WORKED) , the 3th (pretty easy at this point) and the 4th. So, pretty nice right?

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: June 20, 2016, 07:23:20 PM »
El Cideon mysterious girls either die a hero, or live long enough to become the villain, in my experience.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: June 20, 2016, 08:47:15 PM »
I'm not sure what to make of that comment!

Oh right sometimes I play things. I messed around with Shantae: Risky's Revenge a little bit. A couple hours in it appears I need to clear a ten-floor time trial to advance? So that's annoying.

Meanwhile it feels like Fallen London has been stuck in court romance grind for like a month now.

EDIT: Also, Total El Cid Bait how? Not that I can deny that there is such a thing, just wondering which type.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: June 20, 2016, 08:53:43 PM »
The "It's me, 'Old Hag Sierra' - I'm arrogant, never keep promises and suck people's blood at any chance" type, at any given glance.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: June 20, 2016, 09:04:04 PM »
Looks like Sierra, is mysterious, calm, methodical, super smart, has long white purplish hair + one braid, wears a black ribbon, a skirt, a black jacket and a tie, has purple eyes, is one of the only two characters out of 15 who have a "leaving, with its back turned to you, looking all cool" sprite

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: June 20, 2016, 10:15:43 PM »
Fallen London - I am engaging in honorable duels* to the death**.  Only one left to do.  My Dangerous is behind the curve but pushing through.  Chugging Tinctures like they are going out of style and pushing through.  Shadow is 80ish.  Dangerous is 75ish. I am nearly Important!

*Honour may involve cheating ** Only one duel has actually been to the death out of 4 even though I tried to push for them to be.

I haven't been asking people to play chess and stuff lately just doing my thing.  Who else is still playing so I can go back to doing that?  I had been mostly doing stuff with Zenny and he has left me like everyone always does.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: June 20, 2016, 10:31:13 PM »
I have slowed down too, but it's fine. It's not something you need to play feverishly like RK. I'm mostly doing heists right now.
Chess is pretty bad honestly, I got up to 90 watchful + bonuses fast (by uncovering some secrets of the correspondence) and I haven't even been to the university yet.

I have eaten candles.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 10:32:57 PM by Fenrir »

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: June 20, 2016, 11:20:02 PM »
I'm still playing, mostly grinding out Persuasive so I can do the second phase of A Person of Importance.  Also making a map to Polythreme.  I got half of it already, need to get some Bizarre or Dreadful items for the second half.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: June 21, 2016, 12:21:24 AM »
Woo!  I beat the Necrodancer as Cadence!...

...Now to it again as Melody.