Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 117457 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #1475 on: June 21, 2016, 02:18:58 PM »
Xenoblade Chronicles X:  Finally started this up, because "chip away at Backlog" and all that, and I've actually wanted to play this for a while but stuff kept getting in the way...and by "stuff" I mean "Final fantasy 14."

This entire post is mostly me blogging my thought process of the game's intro stuff.

So the hardest part of the game was making a character.  The default design for Cross (the player avatar) is awful and WHY THE FUCK DO THEY KEEP PROMOTING THAT?!  Look, generic male doesn't bother me, but his face is too...cutesy, and they chose such an unappealing hair color (some weird maroon pink thing that really doesn't look good as hair); it's sad because some other lesser promotional stuff like early trailers showed Cross with a different hair style (one that was a bit more unique but still reasonable), and dark haired which while not the most original, it looked a hell of a lot better than the Maroon Straight Haired Generic McBoring they kept using...yes, I am aware of the irony of whining bout a bad hair color no one else has and calling it "Generic McBoring" right after saying "The dark hair was better."

Wasn't sure if I wanted male or female, so tested female options first, because hey might as well have something nice to look at if I'm forced to play as a silent protagonist avatar, and I'm use to that anyway thanks to play as Meepel, was disappointed in Customization options, especially after having JUST seen Mandy create this character and how much diversity she could go through.  For the record, I don't actually care they removed the boob-slider in the US, because honestly, I would just choose the middle size anyway, and get through that option asap (I tend to make my characters average builds in that regard...yes that means I'll probably never play a Lalafell or Roegadynn in FF14, what about it?)

This makes me start to consider going male because maybe the options are better there...but then I make a decision:
If the option to create Meepel's Watermelon hair is in the game, I will stay female.  If I cannot do this, I go male.  Yes, that's literally my deciding factor.

So I make the Hair Greenish Blue, and then go next option and its..the hair again...but wait, it says Roots and tips, Roots, and Tips...does that mean...
*tests out, gets Watermelon hair* Well then, FEMALE IT IS!

She has long hair with a random hair ornament that's part of the hairstyle because why not.  I gave her a scar across the right eye, because it actually looked good, and complimented with black face paint across her left eye giving an odd sense of symmetry.    I think I gave her some light freckles too because why not give a few more distinguishing marks?
Oh, and she has Fiora's voice.  Was originally going to go with one of the "young adult female" voices because the Mature voice doesn't fit the design at all and **** those young ones...then I saw that the "Classic" voice, realized it sounded exactly like Fiora, and went "Well, this IS Xenoblade's spiritual sequel, how can I not honor that?" and went with that...so my character is now British.

Then the game starts and Elma wakes you from your pod after you've seen the prologue of how Earth got exploded.  She then says "oh you don't remember anything" ...well fuck, so I'm an AMNESIAC Silent Protagonist Avatar?  What the hell game?  To be fair, the game does imply that it's a relatively normal occurrence after coming out of stasis, a "side effect of stasis hangover' so I'm going to assume it's just a framing device to give Elma a reason to explain everything to you...even though the "2 month time skip since the ship crashed" and "you were in stasis that entire time" should be enough for her to exposit things for the sake of the player  because let's face it, if Amnesia doesn't exist to hide a character's secret in a way that doesn't make the character come off as hiding something, it's there as a proxy for other characters to have a reason to exposit details about the plot.  It works, mind you, just I'm calling to question if it was necessary in XBCX where they had a legitimate framing device for Elma to explain to the player all the details, since "you missed the last 2 months" accomplishes the same thing, there's no reason to throw amnesia in there.
Well, to be fair, I can see one reason they may have done it: Gives the game an excuse for why the Player Avatar never goes into backstory stuff, since "hey I don't remember it" means there's no canonical backstory, means the player can create their own backstory to whatever they want.  I'm just guessing though since I haven't played the game.

That said, Elma asks my character's name, so I have to come up with one!
Being female, I naturally think "Meepel" but no, can't do that, and to address the elephant in the room, I am NEVER calling a character of mine "Meeplina."  I could call her "Cross", the canonical name, but nah, I based her heavily off Meepel from FF14, so I should honor that somehow.  What can I do to the name to keep it unique but still honoring...
So I think about the name "Cross" and wonder how to splice that with Meepel, remember that s/he's named "Cross" because "XBCX" and then LIGHT BULB!  I'll make her name the Organization 13 equivalent of Meepel!
So after using a Word scrambler (because the Orgy 13 name generator is a piece of crap; Meepel DOES NOT BECOME XEMERA WHAT THE HELL?) of "MeepelX" I eventually decide on using Peelxem.  Why that one?  Because it sounds the most "Nomura-esque" thereby capturing Orgy-13 the greatest.

So now Peelxem and Elma run around the outdoors murdering wild life with guns and knives because that's totally what people who wake up from 2 months of stasis do right?  Well, ok, Elma's been active the last 2 months so this is routine for her but shut up!

Speaking of Elma, she's different than I was expecting.  I was expecting something closer to, say, Lightning, only less of an early game bitch (I don't mean this as an insult to Lightning seeing as I'm pretty sure Lightning was made that way early game intentionally such to give a "she's only working with others because she's practical, not because she wants to" and it contrasts how she is later on, especially her Hope treatment), but she's...actually quite different.
The thing that stands out to me is they do a good job demonstrating her as a strong and independent female, but one who isn't OPEN about it.  As in, her default emotion is actually smiling...yes, she's actually pretty cheerful, and shows a sense of optimism, but at the same time, you can tell she's fully capable of handling herself, as well as a good leader.  I think it's hard to find female characters like that truthfully; usually STRONG FEMALES they have to go out of their way to show "Look at her, she's bad ass enough to go up against some males!" or give her a "tough girl" facade, giving her masculine qualities, but Elma has none of that.  It's hard to explain, but you don't doubt for a second she can take care of herself, despite how the game does nothing to really go out of it's way to show "This is a strong female character!"
...by the way, she's also basically the game's real protagonist isn't she?  I get the feeling Peelxem is just going to be the person observing the events.

Gameplay is...Xenoblade, only you can swap between Melee and Guns, which is nice.  I appreciate the removal of the chest system in favor of a standard loot system that is menu driven, such that every-time a battle ends, it just says "here's your loot, do you want it?"  Also Fiora's voice was definitely the right one because battle quotes feel more lively with her; you're a silent protagonist, sure, but the battle quotes are actually rather in-depth, like one is "The Early Bird SMASHES the worm!" or "What is it? Why is it standing? JUST SHOOT IT ALREADY!" or something to that effect.

Also, Peelxem can jump WAY BETTER than Shulk or anyone from Xenoblade can.  Just saying.  I do appreciate the landing-roll you do if you do a running jump from a high enough distance; just a nice little visual touch.  Also sprint mechanic is completely awesome for a game that inevitably is going to require large amounts of terrain traversing.

Anyway, that's about it; I finished the prologue, saw one cutscene after the fact and turned the game off.    Game is looking promising so far since it retains the gameplay stuff of Xenoblade I liked, and the premise is certainly interesting, being "let's work on colonizing this new planet!" though sadly, given I know my jRPGs, no doubt that'll be sidetracked into a general "RAR EVIL VILLAIN ATTACKS MURDER HIM!" scenario.  Here's hoping that is only a subplot, just to add some sense of urgency to shake the game up and never becomes the main focus, because we need more original premises in jRPGs.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: June 21, 2016, 10:04:26 PM »
Fallen London: My watchful just went from 88 to 44 for seeking the name. Holy shiiiiit

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: June 21, 2016, 10:43:50 PM »
It will happen again.  Possibly more.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: June 22, 2016, 01:19:02 AM »
Ouch, I've had some 1 point drops in Persuasive but never anything like that.

Currently in Polythreme because there may be something I need here.  Or not.  Game is being vague again.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: June 23, 2016, 02:11:19 AM »
"You now have 1 - Flirting with Disaster x Seeking Mr Eaten's Name"

I never asked for this.

(No, I'm not following that quest. I'm surprised I even stumbled on a single step of it. I just wanted dinner.)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: June 23, 2016, 03:16:44 AM »
Fallen London - I am currently hunting monsters and catching them alive because I'm a gangster.  Shadowy hasn't progressed for a while.  My nightmares were high enough that I ran into a cheerful gentleman in my dreams who is part of doing my Ambition. 

If you progress far enough you can back away from Seeking without running into too many bad things Cid.

So I was stuck down a gaming partner last night, burned up on Coop Starcraft 2 and am completely fucking done with DS3 PVP until there is like DLC or something.  Wasn't sure what do.  So

Dark Souls 2 SotFS - Goddamn I had forgot how much I just like this game.  After DS3 coming back to this it feels better than I expected.  I don't have much poise, but I have some poise!  I am going Pyro because I have done it in 1 and 3 now and wanted to see how it feels in 2.  Great Chaos Fireball is gated behind 500 point PVP covenant.  Feels bad.   My brother is just going a Strength/Quality build.  I got him to embrace the Mace.  Couldn't convince him to Join The Club.  He is using Craftsman's Hammer now which is pretty much The Club but slightly different.  He might still switch to Pursuers UGS once we get to Straid.  Currently gone to Pursuer door to Lost Bastille to get the smith and then I forced us to do Heide's path so we can get me my pyro glove because DS2 hates magic users.

I am struggling to find a weapon to use.  I started as a cleric, but gave my Mace away just to show off the power of Blunt (430 erryday) damage.  Used Hand Axe, good times.  Went fuck it, and grabbed the Club.  Trying to build caster stats early is dumb.  I should have just gone Str and Soul Vesselled once we got trainers, but eh, the brother can carry good because he is good at the games.

I am really enjoying this.  DS2 just feels good and it is holding up as really fun moment to moment as I am playing compared to DS1 and Demons's.  It isn't perfect but it feels really good (especially after fixing the fucked up 8 way gate).
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: June 23, 2016, 10:26:06 AM »
Chaos Rapier's pretty much the pyro weapon, and I think they made it much easier to get in Scholar (I want to say Felkin sells it now?) If you can cope with burning an ascetic in Sinner's Rise to kill NG+ Sinner early, then slapping Flame Weapon on that thing gets crazy results. Black Scorpion Stinger's also a good caster weapon. No stat-scaling so minimum investment in physical stats needed, pretty decent attack power raw-infused. Tricker to get in Scholar though (have to beat Freja first).

Don't even worry about Great Chaos Fireball (seriously From, why). Great Fireball and Great Combustion are basically your main guns. Sometimes Flame Swathe for area nukes. Lingering Flame is hilarious but not very practical (best way to cheese Chariot though). EDIT: forgot the Poison/Toxic Cloud combo. Less useful in multiplayer because enhanced enemy resists make the hitrates unreliable, but probably still your workaround for the Iron Keep bosses. You still need a backup plan for Fume Knight though since he has has something like 90% fire resist and is status immune. This was not fun in pyro-only challenge.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 11:05:39 AM by El Cideon »

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: June 23, 2016, 06:54:12 PM »
Don't mess with Canadians
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: June 23, 2016, 08:40:11 PM »
Grand Kingdom: Played a bit. Very generic and repetitive, don't bother.
I don't think I've ever liked a Vanillaware game thinking about it

Danganronpa 2: What the fuck is going on with the recurring characters and are they going to die??
Photographer looks suspiciously like the last student from Dangan 1.
The ultimate gymnast has enormous breasts, which breaks the game's verisimilitude more than the chicken that turned into a cow
Btw why is the crosshair so low during field exploration in both games? Am I crawling?

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: June 24, 2016, 05:03:04 AM »
Crypt of the Necrodancer

I was so proud of myself for beating the Necrodancer.

And then I tried All Zones Mode.

Well, there went all my pride for beating the game with the most basic character.  I can't even leave Zone 1 in this mode...

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: June 24, 2016, 06:22:48 AM »
Xenoblade Chronicles X: Peelxem has been given a giant cannon and a knife, because honestly, why would you choose anything else?

well no, first she had Dual Swords and Dual Guns, but then I realized Elma was doing that stuff already, and we can't just copy her, so let's go with that!

Also, Lin is somewhat more restrained on the "^_^" than I was expecting...oh, she's definitely that kind of character, make no mistake, but as I said in chat, she's giving me FF10 Rikku vibes, which is generally a good thing...
...let's hope that doesn't shift to FF10-2 Rikku vibes...

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: June 24, 2016, 08:45:45 PM »
FL:  Well the trip to Polythreme turned out to be a big waste of time.  At least the stat training there was decent.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: June 24, 2016, 10:07:24 PM »
Did  you uncover any cool mysteries

Danganronpa 2: First case finished. Holy shit! Anime BS is still completely in full force but I'm down with the plot twists. Figuring out who was going to be killed was obvious, but the killer wasn't.

The action stuff during the trials in Danganronpa is honestly meaningless bloated bullshit compared to Phoenix Wright. It basically means that you have way less options to fail for each phase, but you 1) have a time limit 2) have to do stupid action BS. This does help keep things going fast, but it's way less interesting and challenging than PW.

The best thing about the game compared to PW is that at the end of the trial, you need to go over everything that's happened during the murder with another trial phase, which really does help putting things in place. I know that at the end of a trial in PW, I often had completely lost track of what happened during each phase

Characters I like: Both returning characters from Dangan 1 (a lot), the guy who looks like a ninja but actually is an ultimate breeder who breeds hamsters, the redhead photographer
Characters I dislike: The pervert chef, the mean little girl, the nurse, the yakuza Mulan

Random predictions on who will be standing at the end: Dangan 2 main, Dangan 1 main, too much makeup girl, gamer girl, swordswoman, Hokuto
Killers would have to be: Photographer, mean ass girl, princess, maybe the main after another insane dumb twist

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: June 25, 2016, 02:12:20 AM »

No, it felt like an area that wasn't actually completed yet.  Like they made the base area and released it to the public but didn't put any major questlines tying into it.

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: June 25, 2016, 04:58:28 AM »
Turn down the action difficulty and the logic difficulty up.  I don't think the first trial has logic dives but when you do one, you'll find out quickly the new mechanics in the sequel are dumb as shit.

It's been a while since I've played the game but which two characters are you referring as "too much makeup girl" and "Hokuto"?

Speaking of other Fenrir bait games...

Tokyo Mirage Sessions:  The SMT mechanics are here and feels like SMT3/DDS than Persona and there's a hard mode right off the bat so there's some good challenge, however it's super super anime.  Every character has a little intro animation complete with transformation and you can't skip it.  Also to upgrade your weapons you have to talk to the little dragon girl who calls everyone onii-chan.  There's a huge missed opportunity that they didn't make the fat american otaku a party member with his mirage being Batta the Beast or Gheb.

Also looks like level ups are completely random!  There's a luck stat that seems to affect level ups and the only way to raise your luck is to drink random things out of a vending machine.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 05:01:12 AM by Lord Ephraim »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: June 25, 2016, 08:01:48 AM »
God the action gets worse?

Hokuto is the giant dude who looks like Hokuto no Ken
The other one is the hyper energetic musician girl with ridiculous hair

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: June 25, 2016, 08:18:39 AM »
Cat man and k-on girl.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: June 25, 2016, 11:49:19 AM »
Xenoblade Chronicles X:

<Game> ok look, we're sorry for pretending this was a remotely linear game, so here's the open world stuff. If you want to continue plot, you can do so whenever you want.  Oh yeah, and Lin is going to constantly be remarking that Tatsu is a potato and threaten to cook him, I hope you enjoy!

Seriously, the Lin/Tatsu stuff is actually pretty dang funny because Lin's delivery is just so non-chalant about it.  It's very much Riki/Reyn, except Lin is far more even tempered and not meant to be a muscle head the way Reyn is, so her teasing Tatsu is way sillier as a result, it's impressive.  Lin just went up a point!

Also Peelxem changed to a more advance job, she now uses a Light Saber and Shoulder-Hovering Machine Guns.  Don't question logic, this is a jRPG afterall.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: June 26, 2016, 10:10:40 AM »
To everyone who is playing Persona meets Fire Emblem.
This patch is out:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe-restoration.429651/
It still baffles me the localization censored everything related to Gravure Modeling from the entirety of ch.2, making that chapter into a completely something else.

Danganronpa 2: First case finished. Holy shit! Anime BS is still completely in full force but I'm down with the plot twists. Figuring out who was going to be killed was obvious, but the killer wasn't.

So, any comments on Komaeda's psycho display?
I was totally "why is a Nisio character intruding Kadaka's game!?!?"
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 10:31:48 AM by Niu »

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: June 26, 2016, 04:39:41 PM »
I looked into it and basically all bikinis were replaced by early 90s thug clothes and all cleavage removed EXCEPT Tsubasa's default costume which remains unedited.

But they didn't change the fat american constantly saying SHIT (even the Japanese actor says it) and overall way above average swearing for a Nintendo game, completely ignoring Bayo 2 of course.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: June 26, 2016, 05:29:14 PM »
It still baffles me the localization censored everything related to Gravure Modeling from the entirety of ch.2, making that chapter into a completely something else.

Related to wha?

*googles*

Gravure idols appear in a wide range of photography styles and genres. Their photos are largely aimed at male audiences. Though they never appear nude, their poses are seen as semi-provocative.

Welp. That sounds like an improvement. (I mean, unless an intersection of SMT and Fire Emblem could actually handle this issue tastefu- AHAHAHAHAHA.)

Bravely Second - Beat chapter 2. The last boss gets kinda billed as a joke boss but was really brutal.

Magic just seems to be getting worse and worse. I'm debating if I should stick with it long enough to get all the passives which may salvage it or to just abandon ship.

FF5 - Upgrade fiesta, at the end of world 2. Knight -> Red Mage -> Bard -> Chemist. My lack of damage is pathetic; my single Two Hands Morning Star is curve-breaking and that says everything you need to know.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1496 on: June 26, 2016, 07:04:56 PM »
Shadowrun Hong Kong is seven bucks right now. I haven't gotten around to playing the extended edition content yet but the base game is a lot of fun and combat is a pretty decent challenge, but not in that dumb way where the enemy stat numbers are big or they have more advanced gear than you do.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: June 26, 2016, 09:06:11 PM »
Fuck I just realized the two lucky students from Dangan 1 and 2 are not the same person and just have similar sounding japanese games

This is bullshit, it was awesome

Also BS: the reason to murder in chap 4 was starvation

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: June 26, 2016, 09:59:23 PM »
They have the same voice actor at least.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: June 26, 2016, 10:54:01 PM »
Xenoblade Chronicles X: Just completed Chapter 4.

If there's one thing this game succeeds at, it's making you divert yourself away from the plot just to dick around doing other things, be it sidequests, or just simply running around the overworld killing things.  Given it's a massive open world, I'm pretty sure that's what they wanted too, so good on them.

At the same time, it does seem like a game that would fall flat on someone just playing casually to get through the plot.  The game really wants you to explore Mira in entirety, and get a sense of the scope, and doesn't want you to treat it like a standard "Point A -> Point B" storyline jRPG.  This isn't a bad thing, just means I can totally see why some people wouldn't be into it.  It's not unlike FF12 or the original XBC, but I feel it's a little more explicit about the "ENJOY THE WORLD!" aspect.  If nothing else, the basic set up of "explore Mira to colonize the planet!" is pretty dang open that the intent of the game is the open world "run amok and have fun!" experience, the story is just a framework that feels necessary.  Not that the story is bad so far, just so obviously was not their top priority.

...and then's the Noctilum's theme which, at day time, which is the game's way of saying  "You don't want to continue the plot, you want to run around and jump up mountains because fuck physics!" and damn it, it works *shakes fist*