Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 117869 times)

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #1550 on: July 04, 2016, 11:44:07 PM »
I am a Fixer for Sinning Jenny and picked the Nun companion.

Same here.  I actually read the forum topic beforehand and still made the bad choice.  Because I thought I could get the pen and the nun for dreaded+2.  Ah well, not like I've made any bad decisions before in this game!

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: July 05, 2016, 05:14:57 PM »
Dishonored: Bought the DLC as part of the Steam Summer Sale and went to play it. Realized I didn't fucking remember how to play Dishonored. Replayed all of Dishonored instead.

Snagged Ghost and Clean Hands this time around. Was going to also try for Mostly Flesh and Steel, but I upgraded Blink without realizing it would count against me. Still barely used other powers (Agility 1 and Time Bend 2), but hey.

Anyhow, I said it once, I'll say it again: Dishonored is fucking fantastic. Absolute goddamn joy to play. Massively expansive maps with tons of approaches you can take. Playing for Ghost and Clean Hands specifically this time was particularly interesting because it sorta hammers in that the game is just made for choices. I barely explored at all, just beelining objectives whenever possible. On the one or two failed attempts I had (had to restart the 2nd mission due to a mystery death, for example), it is just so easy to find weird, alternate routes you could have taken.

Couple minor annoyances this time around. Backtracking because I forgot how some things work (I actually rendered both Pendletons unconscious before realizing I needed to work with Slackjaw to do the non-lethal solutions). Never -quite- being sure if No Kills/Ghost were still in effect until the mission complete screen.  But really, they are all minor. Game is still super fun and super great. Blink alone is enough to carry that game, seriously.

Darkest Dungeon: Jesus this game is grimdark. Making progress, but boy are fuckups costly. Had a total party wipe in exchange for killing the Apprentice Necromancer, which given they were all fresh, was probably worthish? Stress levels are running high, though.

Analogue: A Hate Story: Got TsunderAI ending. Another great game that starts with a nice slow burn and suddenly punches you in the face with how fucked everything was. Excellent narrative development. Gonna see what the other endings and such can yield, though.

VA-11: Also interesting. Also weirdly curt and straightforward about some stuff. I dunno. Pixel art with very frank discussions of sex, sexuality, and the uses of lolibots in the future weirds me out a bit. Still good, though the tutorial should have better explained I don't have to mouse drag drink elements.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: July 05, 2016, 07:18:25 PM »
Star Ocean 5 - Beaten! Japanese version. Beat it in 30hrs~ and the final boss with the party levels at L46 - L48. Best storebought and treasure chest equips that I could find. Didn't do any item creation equipment  shenanigans or get the arena equipment. Mained Miki with the Sage role maxed out for 70% reduced casting time by the end and an HP/MP regen role, rapid fire multi target healing and full revives (ST), all day, everyday~

My ending was where Fidel, the little girl, and Miki are looking out over a stretch of water

Going to do the postgame and get the role which will make Miki invincible I could have got it maingame but too much cheese :)~

There is no UoM, there's Victor and Emmerson but they are pretty!  :o

I give it 5 or 6 integrity and faithlessnesses out of 10! Objectively. Probably higher if I weigh in more personal enjoyment and series bias. I mean it is Star Ocean, and there are still elements which sing Star Ocean for those yearning for those tunes, it's still Star Ocean, and there is only so harsh I can be!~ 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 07:31:12 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: July 06, 2016, 02:34:46 AM »
Star Ocean 5 - Beaten! Japanese version. Beat it in 30hrs~ and the final boss with the party levels at L46 - L48. Best storebought and treasure chest equips that I could find. Didn't do any item creation equipment  shenanigans or get the arena equipment. Mained Miki with the Sage role maxed out for 70% reduced casting time by the end and an HP/MP regen role, rapid fire multi target healing and full revives (ST), all day, everyday~

My ending was where Fidel, the little girl, and Miki are looking out over a stretch of water

Going to do the postgame and get the role which will make Miki invincible I could have got it maingame but too much cheese :)~

I give it 5 or 6 integrity and faithlessnesses out of 10! Objectively. Probably higher if I weigh in more personal enjoyment and series bias. I mean it is Star Ocean, and there are still elements which sing Star Ocean for those yearning for those tunes, it's still Star Ocean, and there is only so harsh I can be!~

O M G..... HI!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: July 06, 2016, 04:00:12 AM »
10/10 would make Miki invincible again (who's Miki)
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: July 06, 2016, 09:18:55 AM »
Pokemon Picross - [...] Am curious if the Alt-World puzzles give Picrites as 300 is quicker to save for than 500, though let's be honest, at this point, I'm most of the way to getting another picrite/day so I'll just finish that first.

You don't get anything from completing missions in the alt-world (outside the eventual medals from completing enough of them).

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: July 06, 2016, 06:14:06 PM »
Dishonored: Knife of Dunwall: I murdered a lot of people. Inferior to the base game, near as I can tell. Felt a lot more limited in my movement. Also seemed -way- harder to move around without, at least, rendering people unconscious. Still, some of Daud's tricks (time stop blinks) are rad as hell and did make the murder super fun. Will probably go back and ghost/clean no murder it, though. It was shorter than expected.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: July 07, 2016, 04:27:00 PM »
Gf bought so5, so...

Star ocean 5

The backtracking begins!!
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: July 07, 2016, 05:47:45 PM »
Pokemon GO!

Because I need an excuse to stop laying on the couch all day.

It's pretty thin on the "game" in the early stages, but I imagine once I #gitgud and start competing for gyms it'll be a little more engaging. Right now I just need to stop seeing fucking zubats everywhere.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: July 07, 2016, 07:35:08 PM »
Yeah. I only caught a few things last night, because half the time catching stuff would crash the game and force me to manually go into Settings and stop the app. Squirtle, Pidgey, Caterpie, and Venonat! Woo such a trainer. A few shops and gyms around me. Will go around sometime soon.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1560 on: July 08, 2016, 02:46:55 AM »
Mighty No 9: So I picked this up despite the reviews and... it's actually pretty fun? It feels exactly like Megaman X? What are people complaining about? I'd like to hear some thoughts from the Megaman fans since I'm not sure I even count as one compared to how devoted some of the folks around here are.

FF Brave Exvius: Picked up Ifrit and Golem and now that I've got more Guardian Forces Espers, the game's grinding loop is a little more robust and fun. The dialogue continues to be the best part of the game, though the witty banter has become a lot more sparse. Still, I like all the original characters enough that I'm running a party with all three of them + 1 strong healer (Penelo) + 1 leveling project (Zidane because I want a thief).

The only good unit (read: capable of 5-star awakening) that I've pulled is Kuja, but I don't really have room to slot a mage so I'll level him when they start handing out metal cactuars.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: July 08, 2016, 04:05:07 AM »
I haven't played the game but from what I've seen it's not the core game that's the issue so much as everything around it.  It has uninspired stages, the ones with gimmicks are not well designed gimmicks and the bosses apparently are a hassle, and the "Dash into enemy to finish off", while fine on standard foes, apparently is a legitimate hassle on bosses, especially those who go defensively since it means they can literally render all your work for naught.  I haven't played the game, and just going off what I've seen, and what I have seen didn't exactly look very impressive.  I'll probably play it eventually, but well...

Xenoblade Chronicles X: So apparently you have to do specific character quests to continue the plot.  Luckily, the map can be used to find out where those quests are and do them.  I was actually surprised Irina was the central character of that quest since she's clearly just an extra, though I suppose she does have some early mandatory plot, and I do appreciate them bothering to give time to some of the side characters who clearly are not part of the main story, as in, "Characters other than Elma, Lin, and Tatsu."

Speaking of Elma, I love how she was actually willing to join in on a street brawl, for the sole purpose of sticking up for Irina against a bunch of chauvinistic pigs.  Yeah, she's still basically the best female protagonist in a Xeno game...and yes, it is an incredibly low bar to clear.

Also, interesting how the game addresses the elephant in the room of "How is everyone speaking English when there's no reason to believe universal translators exist yet?"  and they seem to be making that an actual plot-point...I hope it's something simple and not ultra-convoluted...then again, this is Monolith Soft so :(
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: July 08, 2016, 06:05:29 AM »
Fallen London:  Working as a Fixer for the Jovial Contrarian.  The campaign *idea* seems cool, but there doesn't appear to be enough to do with it?  Maybe I'm missing prompts, or are too weeny in my stats.  There's only two things you can do - a Flash Lay that gives (useless) Public Attention & Dirty Secrets, and an investigation.  They're both hugely action-consuming and seem to repeat themselves and force me to get the item I can't use.  Then there's nothing but to do the exact same thing over again.

As a side note, it's super bizarre that you figure out who you were investigating at the END of the Flash Lay.  Wait, who was I spying on this whole time?!

FE Fates, Revelation: Just about finished the Great Grind after all the recruits come in but before Valla.  Knowing that Sophie's recruit mission is hellish once the enemies upgrade, I did that, along with Anna's recruit mission and a lot of Ghostly Gold to catch up Laslow, Odin, and some others.  Since my Kana is going to suck anyway (+Skl, -Spd?!), Corrin followed his heart and married a certain red-headed merchant, which is probably not the statistically wisest choice, but whatever.  I might do Caeldori's recruit mission as well (and concede the need for another Master Seal) since the enemies there are pretty badass once they upgrade, too, even if it means missing out on the Offspring Seal.

Ori and the Blind Forest, Definitive Edition: Actually going though this after a delay.  New area added for DE ruthlessly kicked my ass, maybe I'll come back later.  Playing on Hard mode, which I'm not certain was wise.  Hard mode means "double damage", which is fine I guess, if a tad annoying at times (it encourages http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=050216  -esque logic if you take a hit), but more annoyingly means that the costs to learn skills is amped way, way up.  But...  skills are fun!  Maybe amp up the *combat* skill cost, I guess, but not everything else.  If Super Metroid hard mode halved your supply of Super Missiles, fine, but if it made the X-Ray Scope or Space Jump harder to get, that's kinda silly.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: July 08, 2016, 06:10:40 AM »

I am highly disappointed in you.
You should tag Deadman and Berserker on Emerson and watch things burn and die.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: July 08, 2016, 07:06:20 AM »
I haven't played the game but from what I've seen it's not the core game that's the issue so much as everything around it.  It has uninspired stages, the ones with gimmicks are not well designed gimmicks and the bosses apparently are a hassle, and the "Dash into enemy to finish off", while fine on standard foes, apparently is a legitimate hassle on bosses, especially those who go defensively since it means they can literally render all your work for naught.  I haven't played the game, and just going off what I've seen, and what I have seen didn't exactly look very impressive.  I'll probably play it eventually, but well...

The dashing into bosses really isn't a problem. The hitbox for absorption is actually fairly generous, so you're not as much dashing into bosses as near them. I've only had one boss be able to actually evade enough to actually heal, so it can be worked around. Bosses are only a hassle if you're playing on default settings with 2 lives per continue. It takes a bit to figure out their pattern and any weakness, if any.

It's a fun game, but a fairly average MM game. Not a great one, not a bad one, just very average. This is not what people expected, because expectations were waaaaay too high. Even then though? I expected a little more. (As an aside, people like to harp on that $4m figure, forgetting how much of that kickstarter budget was set aside for backer rewards... like upwards of 40%).   

I'm almost done, enjoying it, especially the little moments mid-stage where the other Mighty Numbers pop up to help. Their dialogue is great. Game needed more of them. Maybe have them populate the home base!

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: July 09, 2016, 09:48:36 PM »
Go go gadget Pokeymans:  My phone isn't officially supported, but I downloaded the apk and it works.  Just some problems with the AR stuff (seeing the pokemon through camera).  I started with Bulbasaur, but then I found a better one and beat the first one like a piñata until it dropped candy.  Also got a Pinsir, who is maybe good?  I DON'T KNOW.

Also the two gyms near my house are a park and an elementary school.  Guess which one I'll be hanging out creepily in front of!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 09:56:34 PM by Captain K »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: July 10, 2016, 12:40:41 AM »
Time for that Hiker cosplay?
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: July 10, 2016, 07:36:28 AM »
Dishonored: Knife of Dunwall: Clean Hands and Ghost achievos get. That was actually kinda tricky in this one.

VA-11 Hall-A: Beat this. If you like story and are not playing this, you are basically committing a crime against good taste. I have some minor nitpicks about the actual game side of this, but otherwise? This is fucking phenomenal. Just excellent, excellent, super compelling writing. Also, much wonderful advice re: cucumber salads and anime being a mistake.

Seriously though. Play this.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1568 on: July 10, 2016, 09:01:04 AM »
So I've talked a few times about how I am, in retrospect, dissatisfied that Xenogears never addressed the question of whether or not Elly (and, come to think of it, all the cast who were Animus, but especially Elly) were actually free to care for Fei or if their investment in him was something that was predetermined.

Well I just did a whole thing in The Witcher 3 that revolved around that question and I was really pleased with how it took a plot point from The Last Wish (which was written over 20 years ago) and came to that same realization, deciding to do something about it. The ultimate resolution felt satisfying and a reflection of how I chose to approach Yen's character over the course of the game so far.

Now I'm gonna go rescue Tywin Lannister's magical daughter and make her Empress.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: July 10, 2016, 01:34:21 PM »
Pokémon Go: Got to level 5, so took my first crack at a gym battle.  It was defended by an Eevee, Hitmonlee, and Dodrio.  Killed the first two but Dodrio had 514 CP and being super effective against Pinsir didn't help.  So my team got wrecked.  But I knocked a good chunk of prestige off of it.

Hmm, wait, how do you heal pokemon in this game?  Shit, you have to use items.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: July 10, 2016, 07:00:33 PM »
You can get potions from Pokestops, so it's not that bad. Granted, they're not as plentiful as pokeballs.

Also, on level up you can get a bunch of them. Just leveled up, got another 10 potions, 5 revives. Also got an extra Egg Incubator, but it's one of the ones that expires after 3 uses.

EDIT: Also, since it's important. What team did you join?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 07:33:47 PM by Hunter Sopko »

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: July 10, 2016, 08:45:41 PM »
Blue.  I would have gone Yellow but I'm kind of obligated to pick Mystic since that's my class in Perfect World.  The gyms nearby are owned by Reds.  Fuck the Reds.

So, more gym battling ensues.  This game is like regular pokemon where having 6 half-leveled pokemon is worse than a single high level one.  I wish they had gone with the traditional battle system instead of an action one, but I'm slowly getting the hang of it.  Also doesn't help that the only time you get to practice the battle system is during a gym battle, where everything is on the line and you waste tons of items when it's over.

They should make your home into a Pokecenter where you can heal for free.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: July 10, 2016, 11:00:06 PM »
Woo Team Mystic!

Battle system is pretty shitty, yes. Training is almost pointless since you gain character XP, but your Pokemon doesn't get stronger (correct me if I'm wrong here) nor do you gain Stardust or Candy.

Game's pretty much over already, I hear. No-lifers already have 1-2k CP Pokémon, and it's going to get worse from there. Depends on your area though. Anyone used to fairly balanced Pokémon games is gonna tear their hair out on this. Pokémon who take over gyms are just gonna keep ramping up, leaving most people behind. Even if you're at a Gym your team owns, if the Pokémon there are way over yours, it's effectively useless for you.

I dunno. I'm already inclined to just give up on it until multiplayer and trading happens. I think they nailed a good portion of how to structure the game. Geography is unfair to some players since cities have waaaaaaaaaaay more stuff than suburban and rural areas, but in the abstract the setup on gaining items and catching Pokemon is good. Battles though are supposed to be what you work for, and if they're shit, what's the point?

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: July 11, 2016, 01:11:24 AM »
Well here's the deal, multiple people can attack a gym simultaneously.  You're supposed to make friends on the same team and attack together to bring down defenders.  Wtf I have to go outside *and* socialize?  This is madness.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: July 11, 2016, 01:38:26 AM »
Because it still doesn't work that way? You still have to win each fight to lower the Gym rep. So even 5 people working together won't convert a gym if none of you can win (and where does that leave the issue regarding gyms of the same team and training there if you can't win any battles?). I agree with you that the teaming up part is a good mechanic for players! Still doesn't work for the casual player or fix the problems with gyms and training.

At least we agree the battle system is shit!<G>