Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 122100 times)

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #1800 on: August 28, 2016, 08:51:38 PM »
Ace Attorney Investigations: Finish'd

Game was ok.  I'd put it above AJ and below the first trilogy, but neither is saying a whole lot.

First case: starting off pretty strong.
Second case: um.
Third case: UM.
Fourth case: ok this game clearly does drama waaaaay better than comedy.
Fifth case, part 1: yes this is good.
Fifth case, part 2: ye...s this is pretty good, and suddenly the game got funny, and why is this taking so long.

Next up: AAI2.

p.s. I do not envy the localizers forced to decide what to do with Yatagerasu stuff AT ALL.  No good answers there, other than try and shoehorn some exposition/cultural background knowledge (they didn't do that. prolly should have.)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 08:53:24 PM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: August 28, 2016, 09:16:45 PM »
Needs more discussion about how great (Fenrir) the final villain is.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: August 28, 2016, 09:27:22 PM »
Sounds about how I feel except I liked the second case more (third case is definitely botched, though, yeah). I think it competes pretty well with the main trilogy and really appreciate it shaking things up and being able to transition much more seamlessly between investigation/testimonies than the non-Edgeworth games.

I hadn't really thought about it before but you're right that the game doesn't really do comedy that well by the series' standards before the final case; fortunately the final case is great at it.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: August 28, 2016, 10:27:32 PM »
Needs more discussion about how great (Fenrir) the final villain is.

I liked him.  Not the best the series had to offer, but the sheer length of the final stretch has a lot to do with that.

Sounds about how I feel except I liked the second case more (third case is definitely botched, though, yeah).

Second case had its moments, but there was a lot of bad/annoying logic in with the good stuff, and overall the characters weren't that compelling.  That said, the decisive evidence - that the killer must have spoken a foreign language because she used the contents of a crate labeled in that language whereas most people would have immediately gone for a different crate labeled in English - that was very good.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 10:30:32 PM by NotMiki »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: August 28, 2016, 11:15:56 PM »
The thing I like about the final villain is that he legitimately feels very difficult to take down. Some of that is his own personal presence, and some of that is the fact that trying to nail a diplomat with any sort of crime is very tricky. I agree that the sequence probably should have been shortened some although it's not the only final case this is true for, and at least for this one it made perfect sense that you wouldn't be able to prosecute this guy without a really airtight case, so putting together those last missing pieces of the puzzle felt justified. Also helped immensely by the fact that it's harder to prove someone did a crime than get someone declared not guilty, which is the endgame scenario of most of the other games. It's not the most difficult ending of any AA game gameplaywise but it feels the most difficult, and it should.

Maybe.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: August 28, 2016, 11:53:51 PM »
I thought that the amount of time spent between when he gets his diplomatic immunity revoked and when the case concludes was the big issue there - the revocation should have been the climax of the delay tactics employed to keep him on the spot, and instead there's like another 45 minutes of gameplay.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: August 29, 2016, 02:52:22 AM »
The thing that most annoyed me about the drawn-out Case 5 in AAI was...
...the villain was a "mastermind" type villain, and yet the whole case insisted on deciding that he personally murdered a dude and dragged him through crazy secret walkways and ceilings and crap.  That's not how it works!  It's not like this was a crime of passion.  He has *minions* to go do this for him, and to take the fall if something goes wrong.  I was never convinced this one murder was so incredibly pivotal that he had to do it himself and at such a weird time.  Of course, as usual for PW plots, he doesn't run into a random janitor or cook or something who bumps into him and he spills his bag open on his amazing idiotic timed escapade.

AAI Case 2 was ludicrous but fine?  Like, yes, it's ludicrous, but not annoying, so I'm cool with it.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: August 29, 2016, 06:28:41 AM »
Xenoblade Chronicles X: Ok, so I have to do this boss fight against 2 Bosses + a bunch of support.  I struggle with that a lot, decide to grind a bit because I am a few levels lower than them since I did beeline to the chapter rather than doing stuff in between.  Come back, fight them, still struggle a bit, but pull through!

"Ok, now fight me in my giant robot...and my partner has one too!"

Well poop, this sucks, at least it's treated as a different boss fight, so you can lose and come back.  I'm not sure this fight is do-able without getting a 2nd Skell so Elma or Lin can use one (ideally Elma since Lin's HP is on par with a Skell...yes, the 13 year old mechanic has as much HP as a giant robot, I don't get it either), because it went from seemingly impossible to do-able (but still challenging) in getting it.  I had to sell a lot of my materials on it though I don't see myself using a lot of those anytime soon, so it's probably worth it.

What was most worth it though was the game surprisingly going "Now your giants can fly!" as a sidequest out of nowhere, so...free range in a massive open world, yay!

Plotwise, Elma remains pretty damn awesome.  Two moments that come to mind:

A. During the attack on NLA, the character who could pass as Elma's Shonen Rival rants about how the team has failed because blah blah WE GOT THE MECH!  Elma's response?  Simply stating, and confidently so, that their goal was simply to protect the city, THEN follows up with stating that the Alien's goal was to destroy the city, which she clearly failed at, ending with "So it looks like the only loser here is you, you should probably leave while you're still behind."

B. A bunch of mercenaries have you in a "Surrender or Die" situation, rather than throw weapons down and give up, Elma takes the parley approach of "so...explain why you guys are working for the bad guys...you don't seem like the kind of people who would agree with the Ganglion", and then manages to talk them into a trial by fair combat. 

This is what I want from a "strong female lead."  She's not written as a strong female...she's written as a strong person, and she just happens to be female.  This is all you have to do!  Just because the character is female doesn't mean you have to bring attention to it.  Her gender is completely irrelevant, what matters is that she's a competent soldier and leader, who earned every ounce of respect she got through her actions in the past.  It honestly feels like they wrote the character first, then decided on the specifics later, and decided to make the character female just for the sake of being female. 
She's even so far avoided obvious trappings like "males are hitting on her!" and such, because "she's an attractive tough female, of course guys want her!" 

Is she the best written character ever? No, but it's just nice that we have a character whose gender is completely irrelevant, like nothing more than her clicking the "F" box when they ask for Gender on forms, surveys, applications, etc. 
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: August 29, 2016, 07:37:23 AM »
I'm not sure I agree with the statement that gender should be irrelevant for a character like her (if that is your argument). We live in a society that in a variety of subtle ways tells women they shouldn't lead (and also shouldn't fight), so a woman who does both has probably grappled with that in ways that are very gender-specific. And that's just one of the more obvious ways it might matter.

Of course these are fantasy worlds and I've never been opposed to the idea of a fantasy world just assuming a different set of gender roles (or other social mores), turning to the audience, and essentially asking "Why the fuck not?", so this isn't a complaint about female leader/warrior figures whose gender is irrelevant, either.

Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: August 29, 2016, 10:43:20 AM »
If your fantasy world is going to have a different set of gendered norms you better damn well exhibit that in your characters (this is not a statement about Meeples post or XBC though).

WoW - it happened again.  Save me Neph.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: August 29, 2016, 11:33:22 AM »
WoW - I am weak. Save me Neph.

Get help.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: August 29, 2016, 05:50:20 PM »
Did I do a post on Apollo Justice?  I've been playing the AA games in order, but maybe I forgot to do a post about it.  Or I remembered to do one but then forgot I did.  Anyway.

What a mess!  I weep for the game this could have been buuuuuuuut Apollo just seems like he's never cool, so I wonder how good the game could have been without editorial missteps.  Phoenix is cool when he lays the hammer down.  I like to talk (yell, mostly) along with Phoenix.  I did not have that same inclination with Apollo.

Ok let's focus on the good: cases 2 and 3 are, from a gameplay standpoint, some of the finest in the series to the extent I've played it.  Especially the concert.  The video and audio evidence was used very well, and the case unfolds in a compelling way.  So many of the big cases have emotional heft but really shaky logic.  Not so here.

All that said, emotional heft is a big problem - none of the cases engage quite as well as they could.  Case 3 is the best of the lot with the killer, who is a detective, actively working to thwart you by preventing you from speaking directly with your client, who doesn't even speak English.  AA games are always best when the system iteslf is your enemy and the deck is loaded against you.  Case 2 have a pretty fun cast of characters too.  Case 1/4 just make me sad for what they could have been.  Also a little confused for what they are.

Anyway, some good case elements that I hope are built on later in the series, but overall a disappointing entry.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: August 30, 2016, 03:13:49 AM »
FFBE:  Spent the weekend leveling units with cactaurs.  Got Kefka to 80 and gave him 4 Magic+10% and a Hero Ring (need to make another).

Hyperdrive is absolutely stupid damage.  Used it to waste Demon Chimera in record time.  Then tried Intangir.  I don't have any trouble damaging him, but Meteor OHKOs my entire team except Lenna.  And that's after Magic Break... Used Gate's Celes but her Magic Sealing doesn't stop Meteor.  Need to come up with a new plan before I try this again.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: August 30, 2016, 08:35:22 AM »
FFBE:  Spent the weekend leveling units with cactaurs.  Got Kefka to 80 and gave him 4 Magic+10% and a Hero Ring (need to make another).

Hyperdrive is absolutely stupid damage.  Used it to waste Demon Chimera in record time.  Then tried Intangir.  I don't have any trouble damaging him, but Meteor OHKOs my entire team except Lenna.  And that's after Magic Break... Used Gate's Celes but her Magic Sealing doesn't stop Meteor.  Need to come up with a new plan before I try this again.

Would it improve your chances if I set my Roaming Warrior to my 5*80 Vaan?

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: August 30, 2016, 08:55:42 AM »
I Am Setsuna:
Some major wishful thinking by the cast here.  "Hmm, this children's nursey rhyme talks about the bird flying over the sky.  MAYBE "bird" is a metaphor for "airship" and it means the royal airship escaping the capital, rather than simply the people's thoughts and hopes flying over the sky.  And MAYBE that airship is sealed in the ruins next door."  (And, unspoken, MAYBE this ancient airship is in good repair and flyable, not a rusted hunk o' junk.  Lest this seem like too hardcore a nitpick, I'd like to point out that we've been told already by the plot that airship engines are finicky and we've watched an engine get blown up already.)  Needless to say this is all 100% true, but I'd like it if the party members acknowledged a little more openly what a desperate gamble this was?

Unfortunately, the airship was guarded by a surprisingly badass boss.  At low health, he starts double acting with "Spell Stream".  One spell is Flare, which does ~200 damage to my usual max HP of 350 (less if I was using frailer members).  Another is Stop.  Stop is actually pretty good - it lasts 3-5 turns, so it's favorable action economy vs. a 3-person party, and even better if someone is already dead.  But wait, it's better than that: if all living PCs are Stop'd, it's GAME OVER, even if they have full health and one of the Stops is going to expire soon.  #$%.  Yeah I lost the first time due to this, with the boss at like 400 health (= about a round of full offense from dying).  For Attempt #2, I abused the fact that bosses are statusable but get increasing status resistance the more often you status them, and simply statused him out when he was in his limit phase of <1500 health or so.  Cheaty, but so it goes.

So, got the airship.  Doing mad backtracking to collect all the sealed chests the game taunts you with as unopenable on your first time through.  Getting owned by random superbosses that have since spawned there and destroy you.  Think FFX International, basically.  I dunno, young SnowFire would find it cool that there's an excuse to go back poking through old areas (just like you might do in FFX with capture equipment), but old grumpy SnowFire finds it a bit of a trudge.  At least you don't need to touch the black chests in the past, then run forward to the future to get the max from 'em, but you do have to run every old town & dungeon looking for them.  The towns are NBD, but the dungeons...  bleh.  IAS doesn't have an "Outside" spell to immediately go back to the entrance, either, which is basically harmless normally (almost all dungeons are point A->point B, very little "go the bottom of this dungeon then walk back out", and the few that are have shortcuts that make it fast), but is slightly more annoying when in re-explore mode.

Also, just confirming that yes, a decent number of IAS people are Original Character Do Not Steal, but hey, it's been a long enough that the Statute of Limitations has expired, it's only noticeable for old fogeys like us.  We've got Yuna, Auron, Vivi, & Magus, but it's been a long time since the late 90s, so sure, let's do it again.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: August 30, 2016, 05:00:26 PM »
I'm not sure I agree with the statement that gender should be irrelevant for a character like her (if that is your argument). We live in a society that in a variety of subtle ways tells women they shouldn't lead (and also shouldn't fight), so a woman who does both has probably grappled with that in ways that are very gender-specific. And that's just one of the more obvious ways it might matter.

Of course these are fantasy worlds and I've never been opposed to the idea of a fantasy world just assuming a different set of gender roles (or other social mores), turning to the audience, and essentially asking "Why the fuck not?", so this isn't a complaint about female leader/warrior figures whose gender is irrelevant, either.

I don't disagree with what you say, I'm more saying that on occasion, it's nice to get a character that can be female for the sake of just being female and not actually trying to point it out at all.   So I'm not saying gender should be irrelevant, but rather, it shouldn't always be relevant and a defining feature, if that makes sense.  There are cases where it's appropriate, and cases where putting it in would more like "they had a check list, and needed to tick off that spot." 

For whatever it's worth, XBCX doesn't seem to highlight gender roles in any particular way which I guess makes sense since when you're trying to colonize a whole new planet, and it's set like 50 years in the future at least, the idea is obviously "doesn't matter who they, just matters what they're good at and if they can get the job done." 
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: August 30, 2016, 10:42:23 PM »

I could try it but I don't think Full Break reduces damage any more than Magic Break.  Not going to worry about it right now; it's not going anywhere unlike FFRK events.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1817 on: August 30, 2016, 11:14:20 PM »
I Am Setsuna:
Also, just confirming that yes, a decent number of IAS people are Original Character Do Not Steal, but hey, it's been a long enough that the Statute of Limitations has expired, it's only noticeable for old fogeys like us.  We've got Yuna, Auron, Vivi, & Magus, but it's been a long time since the late 90s, so sure, let's do it again.

In Setsuna's defense, at least they cherry-picked basically the best and most memorable characters from that era.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: August 30, 2016, 11:25:24 PM »

I could try it but I don't think Full Break reduces damage any more than Magic Break.  Not going to worry about it right now; it's not going anywhere unlike FFRK events.

Actually, it does.  It's kind of dumb!

Magic Break: 1.2x Physical + MAG Down 15% on target for 3 turns.
Full Break: 1.6x Physical + ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR Down 30% on target for 3 turns.

It's kind of like how Bio Blaster is better in every single way imaginable than Biora for everything you'd conceivably use it for.  Bio Blaster also costs less to make than Biora at that.  I know at least one person who said they were mad that this was true.

855,919,287 is my FC if you need it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 11:36:56 PM by Magic Fanatic »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: August 31, 2016, 03:40:32 AM »
Wild Arms XF update, in which I die to boss fights a lot.

3-10 (Asgard 2) [3 resets]: Ugh. This is where I start to learn about this party's struggles with bosses. Asgard in this fight does a cycle of Fortress of the Gods, Barrier Storm, Mode Shift, Barrier Fist, Mode Shift, repeat. Fortress is invincibility for one turn, Barrier Storm is 9999 to all adjacent hexes (can't be used after moving), Barrier Fist is huge physical damage. (OHKO or 2HKO depending on durability). If he can't hit anyone with Barrier Storm he'll use a regular physical instead.

You may have noticed his glaring weakness: all melee. So Shut Out is king. The problem is damaging him; he has elemental resistance so spells barely scratch him, and Shut Out prevents grappling. The only ranged damage I have is shuriken, which by themselves are useless but they can trigger Combination Arts. I sadly hadn't realised I would need this strategy so I only have two good shuriken. Once I realise this has to be my party, I give those to my mages and my fighters get crappy out of date ones.

This in turn makes the rest of the battle really difficult too, and at one of the resets is just dealing with this. (Another is Asgard breaking out of Shut Out at a bad time... there really isn't much you can do about this because Shut Out wears off at the start of a turn. In theory I could count for this, but Accelerate makes this even more impractical than normal.) Still, I'm able to win it, and then I can troll Asgard with Shut Out lock + using shuriken Combination Arts. Obviously I try to have the higher-MAG PCs trigger them. They break his defence rather nicely; little else that I have does.

3-11-A (jelly blobs): This is one of my proudest moments of the run. I set up everyone in Extremist so that I can use Anchor Hook to beat the map in its intended way... but then, midway through (and well on my way to victory) I realise... wait a tick. I can totally do this with only my fiesta classes!

To beat this map you must either get everyone to the ending point or defeat all the jelly blobs. The former pretty much requires Anchor Hook, since the final platform is too high above everything nearby for Warp or Replace to reach. However, Ground Slam has no vertical limit, and the highest platform is only 3 hexes away from a much lower one. So I can get someone up there to kill the final jelly blob. With all the ranged magic damage I have, killing them is quite easy (I pack some misery cures just in case). I need to use four tosses to reach all the jelly blobs, and I only have three PCs so this isn't possible... except I also have Replace which can get me to new platforms as well. So yeah, a combination of throwing my own allies and Replace lets me reach every enemy, and Elementalist OC lets me destroy them. There probably aren't many (non-Extremist) draws of fiesta classes that can beat this, but I got one!

3-11-B (Weisheit duel): I don't even heal, Weisheit can only kill you with counters I'm pretty sure, just uses gravity otherwise.

3-11-C (Weisheit 3): So this is a test run for another, much tougher fight later. By which I mean that I can use Shut Out to troll him. As long as nobody is on a line with him, he can't hurt them, and unlike many bosses he doesn't resist all elements. So... simple enough. I do walk in for some stronger hits with other PCs sometimes because o his method of calling shots.

3-12-A (Asgard 3) [3 resets]: Oh fuck a boss fight which isn't really easy.

So Asgard's AI is a bit different this time; it's now Fortress of the Gods, Barrier Storm, Mode Shift, Spread Barrier, Mode Shift, repeat. In other words, the second AI is now Spread Barrier, which does 2HKO magic damage to an area of effect. (Don't put PCs adjacent!) Barrier Fist isn't gone, either; it replaces Iron Fist and will be used if he can't kill anyone with Barrier Storm. So, yeah, the turn after Fortress of the Gods is going to hurt real bad unless I use Shut Out. I use Shut Out.

Of course this doesn't turn off Spread Barrier, which drains my rather limited item healing (I foolishly only brought 10 potion berries into this dungeon, that didn't help) really fast. He's also annoyingly fast (he only uses Spread Barrier every four turns, but that's every two rounds so forces healing often) and breaks up CAs a bunch, and he has a ridiculous HP pool. As usual him breaking out of Shut Out at a bad time is bad, worse than it was before since the fight isn't fully controlled otherwise. Eventually after some setup tinkering I execute it properly.

3-12-B (golems): Not easy by any means, but not too bad. Hit the golems with the elements they don't resist, four of them have high HP but the other eight die pretty quickly. So standard tactics work well enough. Some of them have a weaker version of Spread Barrier so I avoid clustering, all the rest can be temporarily controlled by Shut Out if necessary, though the ones with Power Fist do hit quite hard.

3-13-A (rewind): After taking out the initial four undead, I use Replace to swap a couple PCs with the golems on the upper platform, then immediately send one of my PCs over to kill the smoky specimen which is an instant reset if it reaches its sixth turn. I take out the remaining Golems well enough; the other three charge me at this point but again the melee ones can be controlled because I use Replace to get everyone to the top platform and toss the remaining melee ones to the bottom. Haha.

3-13-B (Weisheit 4) [3 resets]: Ack. There's nothing really NEW about this fight, it's pretty much just 3-11-C's Weisheit together with 3-12-B's golems. (Six of them, three of them the bulky types.) Unfortunately this is an ugly combination, since all seven enemies attack immediately and aggressively. The terrain here is mostly flat so it's much harder to avoid Weisheit, although I do try at first, since using the turns to control the golems. After a few tries I hit on using the wind leypoint near the start to use Ley Boost, allowing my wind spells to hit harder, which greatly increases my offence against two of the golem types (sadly, the one wind-resistant ones are the ones with the ranged AoE magic). This helps turn the tide in controlling them. Beyond that it's a combination of avoiding Weisheit's Rank of Death, using Shut Out on him if I have to, Shut Out on other melee golems occasionally too (but not too often, since it only lasts around 2 rounds), controlling golem positions by tossing them around, and blasting away with magic. I almost win once with two PCs but Weisheit eventually slips Shut Out at the worst possible time and I lose; I get him the next time, though.

4-1 (Tormenta Triad) [1 reset]: They kill one person a turn and are faster than everyone but my Nightstalker; with four PCs and no particularly fast ways to kill them and no control options whatsoever (Triple Storm has huge range, so my strategy to toss the one who uses it far from the main fight doesn't work), I get wrecked. The end.

So at this point I relax one of the rules of the run and allow myself to use Revive Fruits. Honestly I'm quite happy that I got to Chapter 4 without them, but Chapter 4 has, looking ahead, several fights where I'll absolutely need them; this just happens to be the first. So it goes!

Anyway this is still a reasonably tough fight since the brothers kill one PC every round really fast and are good at finishing me off once I kill one. I kill Trueno first because he dies fast to physicals (the brothers have lots of elemental resistance, so CAs are my only magical offence). When he dies, Viento's MAG boost is about to wear off, but Lluvia's was just refreshed, so I toss Lluvia away and try to kite him until it wears off. I kill the other two mostly with CAs; they have lower Res but high evade (Viento) and defence (Lluvia) respectively, so other damage isn't too practical. I use all my revive fruits to get through the first stage but it works.

4-2-A (Rupert 3) [1 reset]: I charge Rupert once and get wrecked. He has two High Cavaliers who'll boost his speed and now possesses Blade Pulsar, a massive AoE attack which does 3-4HKO damage (but rises to 2-3HKO if he's hasted or at low HP), so Shut Out doesn't work and in fact is undesirable. Having to deal with this and the other enemies gets me killed.

So I try again and try to kite around and leave Rupert alone. I don't really expect this to work... but it does. Rupert doesn't use his MT attack. It's only later that I figure out why; Blade Pulsar actually only has a range of ~8 in this fight. So by staying far away from him, I'm able to take out the Sacred Slayers, Emulator (fuck misery so much, this ruins me the first time and almost does the second), fantastica, and sentinel. Rupert does eventually charge before I'm done, but it takes a while, and by then I'm in much better shape to heal and control everything. I try to isolate the High Cavs from Rupert so they can't use Quicken on him (it can't be used after moving, which helps) which makes his damage easier to control. Not too much to say, Rupert dies last and I'm very aware of his Crisis Reflex Up limit, so I make sure I'm in good shape before lowering him to crisis.

4-2-B (lategame classes): This fight features Extremists right at the start which spoil my physical damage badly, so I have to take them out with magic. There's also an emulator with poison (thank goodness it isn't anything scarier). Next come the High Cavaliers and sleep emulator, and finally the Nightstalkers and petrify emulator. I get a bit lucky on resisting the scary status but this fight isn't too bad, especially past the start, usual tactics suffice.

4-3-A (paigeols): Crush really wrecks the bulky 1500 HP paigeols, taking them out in 6 hits or so. I toss them away from their would-be healers and off their leypoints and deal with them simply enough. The forsaken mutants at the end are a pain because of their large HP and magic stats, which means they heal for a lot! And hit quite hard too. Fortunately they will waste some turns on physicals, so this isn't as tough as it could be.

4-3-B (Chelle 4): Chelle's got elementalist spells for this fight, they're a respectable but not overwhelming offence (3-4HKO) but mostly serve to make Shut Out not a win. Of course when not Shut Out she's free to run around and Predator Barrage... with positioning I'm able to make sure she never gets off more than a 2-hit version. She's not easy, especially with her support which has Quicken, Heal, AND Slow Down, but manageable enough; I smash all the support first with their weaknesses while healing and stalling with everyone else, and... actually run Chelle out of MP before I kill her, which is kinda funny.

Oh yeah and this fight also features four Stealth Stalkers, in two groups of two. These are a pain in the ass, since I can't damage them except with AoE atacks which also target someone else. I don't have any of those... wait! Exploder Gems! When used by my mages they're powerful enough to one-shot Stealth Stalkers. I don't have IFF sadly, so I have to hit one of my allies with one each time but I use each to kill two enemies, and it's easy to take them out at the start before dealing with the rest, just uses some valuable inventory slots.

4-4 (Tormenta Triad copies): Probably the easiest Tormenta Triad fight, but not the easiest fight ever or anything. The goal is to kill the three real brothers (their clones just annoy with 10HKO magic, and die if the original dies; I do kill them occasionally just to reset their turn gaudge) I try to kill one by tossing him off a high cliff, but it's still not enough. Combination Arts it is! When triggered by my mage, a two-man CA will 3HKO, a three-man CA will 2HKO, and a four-man CA will OHKO barely. So yeah I use those. Heal, control where enemies are, etc., not too bad.

I'm currently kinda stuck on the final Rupert fight.

Maybe.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: August 31, 2016, 05:30:55 AM »
Full Break: 1.6x Physical + ATK/DEF/MAG/SPR Down 30% on target for 3 turns.

Yep that did the trick, killed Intangir in 4 turns.  He Meteored after the second attack (killing Bedile only) and third attack (killing Lasswell).  Kefka Hyperdrived him to deaths.  So yeah Full Break is early FFRK levels of broken.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: August 31, 2016, 07:50:34 AM »
Dark Souls 3

Grefter being around inspired me to get back to this.

Left off in Irithyill because I was sick of dying in one-shot to everything because I'm too stupid to build HP. (Though I started fixing that)

Bosses:

1. Pontiff Sully: Fun fight, though it took way longer for me to win than it should have. Largely execution based, which was tricky because the safe windows to attack with the Greatsword are obnoxious. 50% health gimmick was largely irrelevant because of the heavy weapon.

2. Yohrmy: Gimmick fight that annoyed me.

3. Aldrich the Fat: Fuck arrowstorm right in its goddamn face.

4. Dancer of the Boreal Valley: See Sully, but easier. Though the trigger for it was a shock.

5. Consumed Leo: Nothing to write home about, besides the run to this boss being literally the worst thing.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: August 31, 2016, 08:07:35 AM »
1 did you work out the gimmick?
2 did you find Bro in the dungeons?
3 vulberable to silence
5 with or without shortcut?

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: August 31, 2016, 10:08:40 AM »
Belated, but re Apollo Justice...  hrmm, I dunno.  Not really a fan of Case 3 myself.  It does something that I think many PW series fans have asked for before, but then shows that it's actually kinda hard to do without killing the tension.  I think it can be done right, but it wasn't here.  You get told outright who the killer is, by a witness, at the end of Day 1!  Amazing, for once there's actually someone who detected the real killer!  The game then proceeds to be pretty crap at justifying why Apollo doesn't simply have a new client, though.

I agree that using the video was pretty well-integrated gameplay-wise, EXCEPT they made you watch the dang show just too many times, which kinda kills it.

I find it slightly odd you didn't like Case 1, though.  If you accept for a moment the totally insane backstory they decided to give Phoenix, it's one of the best Case 1s in the series, IMHO!  A lot of fun twists, good logic, all that.  OTOH, it also really stabs Phoenix in the back because it sets up his super-depressing demise, and once you know Case 4, some of the at-the-time mysterious actions become pretty crazy.  (You've seen Hiimdaisy's take ont his, right?  http://simpliciti.tumblr.com/post/70300413938/zak-gramarye-is-a-jerk , can't find the original LJ link)  I'm willing to mostly hold that against Case 4, though, and still like Case 1 on its own merits of actually making a lick of sense and also having Phoenix being awesome even in his disbarred state.  The parallelism with the case X years ago was kinda nice, too.

Case 4...  uh...  yeah.  It's not ALL bad, but the Magnifi backstory needed to be sold as "monstrous" not "sympathetic."  Alas.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: August 31, 2016, 10:15:01 AM »
Also, Setsuna: @ final boss.  Somebody liked the Deus battle in XG, I see.

I can't entirely blame them because clearly doing 3d graphics is way, way more expensive than sprite-based graphics, but it's pretty clear that they got their models for "ethereal ruins floating in the middle of nowhere", their "snowy forest" model, their "snowy castle" model, and said screw it, we're shipping it.  (Okay, fine, there's the ice floes too.)  It's too bad, I wish they'd saved something special for the final dungeon to make it Black Omen level memorable, but nope.  Stupid budgets.

They also slow-rolled a certain event way, way too long.  Way too long.  You know what it is if you played the game.  Nobody was fooled, at least people who played Chrono Trigger before, so hurry up and do it.  Right before the final?  Okay, sure, there's sidequests and super-bosses, but eh.

ON THAT NOTE.  Didn't whine about this above, but there's a ship where you backtrack, and the dude asks if you'll take out a monster.  Rather than send you to a new optional dungeon, the game just unceremoniously dumps you into an un-runnable boss fight if you accept.  A very difficult boss fight that will wipe you if you do it immediately when it's available, rather than after clearing the final dungeon.  Bad show, IAS, bad show.  (LUCKILY I didn't lose too much progress when I did that, but still, ack.)