Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 122088 times)

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #1900 on: September 22, 2016, 10:14:58 AM »
Blizzard is my life now.

Hearthstone - I did the starter pack.  Got Velen and Sylvanas.  Good packs.

WoW - this pushes you to focus on one character.  So my Warlock main is being followed up by a Deathknight tank at 103 and a Disciplie Priest currently level 95. 

Doing Mythics on the warlock.  Still a few I haven't done.  Mostly just filling in for spaces in guild groups.  Not sure if I will do Mythic Plus or raiding.  Dropped Tailoring which have had since BC and got Herbalism to go with Alchemy.

Priest is Tailor/Enchanting.  Seriously considering dropping everything for Mining/Herbalism for monetary reasons and because Professions are mostly not a big deal right now.

Overwatch - I bought this.  Was playing bot matches the first few days to get a feel for how heroes move and physics.  Jumped on Quick Play finally last night.  First game there is no healer yet so I get on Lucio.  We lose.  One guy spends the whole match complaining that we need a healer.  He changes character from like Reinhardt or something to Pharah.  No one else says anything.  No one else changes character.

Pretty much like you expect.

What is your battletag? I'm looking for people to start pushing into Mythic+3 and above. I am an extremely unstoppable tank and need some shootymans or someone to heal me.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: September 22, 2016, 04:20:14 PM »
Trails of Cold Steel 2 -

So I've been anticipating this game since I finished the first one in August. Total length was about 100 hours or 2 and 1/2 weeks worth of playing pretty much non-stop when possible. Overall, this game is really good. I found it better than the Cold Steel 1 actually, although part of that may be due to attachment that is built up from the first game. It still has some flaws but again, like the first one, they feel mostly minute and are nitpicking compared to serious issues that would detract away from the experience.

This game actually reminds me a lot of Shadow Hearts: Covenant. Not in the sense that they are telling the same story, but in their strengths and weaknesses as a game. I mentioned during my ending thoughts for Covenant that difficulty was the primary issue. This is actually somewhat of the same problem in Cold Steel 2. That's not to say the game is a total cakewalk. For the record, I was playing on Hard and the early to mid game (Prologue until Act 1 Part 3/Intermission) was actually challenging somewhat! However, once you get past that point, the difficulty just implodes. You get too much broken, and there are multiple ways to snap the game like a twig. To give you an idea, none of the bosses in the final chapter got a single turn on me. The only time I ever took damage was because someone missed and ate a counterattack. Before hand, there are other ways that neutralize fights. Here's a couple more examples. In one boss fight I managed to set back a boss's turn by 359 clockticks - essentially it will never see a turn before dying. In another case, I set up a PC who can cast tier 4/5 magic in only 3 clockticks whereas for any other mage PC it would take 4 clockticks just to cast a tier 1. And just like in Covenant, many of these broken things are given to you without much effort. There's only 1 part of my game plan towards the end that requires any effort and its basically a recipe from speaking to NPCs, which you *should* be doing since its a Trails game and it's kind of staple that you should be speaking to people. The pieces are all there, and if you know how to string it together, watching it in action is glorious. I remember speaking to Andy regarding how it worked and we both kind of agreed that the strategy is very tabletop game-ish but just like in a tabletop game, if the option is there for you string together an engine, there really is no reason not to. Unless you feel like giving mercy I guess, but mercy is for suckers. Sorry, Kato.

Speaking of battles though, Divine Knight battles are zzzz. I don't even mean that they are easy. They are just very awe uninspiring. I'm still amazed that despite all the games that use giant robots, pretty much none of them have any good mech combat systems outside of Front Mission. I mean yes, I can't expect a game to have the same Front Mission engine, but the fact that XENOGEARS is still probably the best game with this form of combat from what I've played says something since that game is almost 20 years old now. The core principal in these battles are that they are rock/paper/scissors, but they come off more to me as Suikoden duels. That is to say the enemy/enemies you are fighting will say/have different poses and that alters which part of theirs is vulnerable. You can then attack a different part to try and unbalance them for more damage or use super moves. However, several of these fights, especially the tougher ones, you much rather just turtle and use the perfect evade and counter ability over straight up attacking. I'm not entirely sure why the Divine Knight battles seem so boring since Suikoden duel battles didn't strike a negative chord with me. My kneejerk though is that these battles are bogged down due to having a secondary PC and that most of these battles just take place because reasons. I remember how most of the duels in Suiko 5 had more emotion behind them such as dealing with an imposter of yourself or having Lyon go up against her superior. In most of these fights except for the last one, it's really seems like it's just "we need to remind people that Rean has a giant mech". As for the secondary PC, it gives you access to things like healing and buffing, which aren't bad things in theory. However, it does greatly decrease the stakes and I suppose the execution of it just isn't that well done. One of the big things in Suiko duels is that you can't heal so every action/guess you make counts and the tells were more obvious. In any case, the Divine Knight battles are very meh. I could make do without them but I don't see it going away due to the plot. I just hope this gets fixed somehow so it's less of a chore to go through.

A returning flaw from the first game is the lack of cutscene skipping. I guess Falcom really doesn't want you to try and speedplay your way through. Gotta read all the text yo. And of course, the typical associated problem of "if you miss this trigger then you're locked out of XYZ" still sucks. Although this time, its a little better. You can reacquire some of these items through the Pawn shop if you're willing to recycle the shop list and the odds don't seem to be as harsh as it was in the first game. Link EXP growth being absolutely abysmal is also somewhat of an issue since it locks out some of the cooler link abilities up the tree and pretty much ensures that unless you are Rean, you basically don't see any links past Link Level 4 lest you have a special relationship to another PC (see: Alisa and Sharon or Towa and Angelica).

Now with all the negative aspects I can think of out of the way, I should go into the positives, which is pretty much everything else. The core battle system is largely the same as the first game with a few tweaks / attempted nerfs to make things more balanced. The difficulty in the first half, is at least there and provides a decent challenge at a couple points. All the PCs as well as guests that they introduce all have their fine points and are pretty well balanced across the board. When you consider that you have 16 PCs in total as a result of that come the Epilogue, that's pretty impressive. You still only visit the Eastern side of Erobonia, but the game does become open world after awhile so the groundwork in the environment and settings previously done all actually pay off. There are also new locations that you were never able to access so it's not a complete rehash of places you've already been to.

The game is clearly divided into 2 parts. The premise of the 1st part is a little less interesting than the 2nd, but both are pretty good. In the first Act, you're going around to reunite with your classmates. The structure of the game is a little more rigid in that your party structure is more forced and you have less control over where to go since the game just sends you off to one place. It's more restrictive, which is why I think the 2nd half of the game is better and well executed at that. In the second part, you're now trying to reunite the rest of the student body under your cause. You have an airship and the game becomes more open, allowing you to re-explore places you've been to (which you could never do in the first game!). Party choice is no longer restricted, and in the Epilogue, it's basically "use whoever you want", which leads to all sorts of fun combinations that you were never able to play around with before. The Epilogue is also the coolest part of the game since that last dungeon very much feels post-game feel with randomly generated floors and randomly generated loot. Except that the loot is all excellent, so its worth going up and down it a couple of times while experimenting with new parties. There is very much a Suikoden feel in the 2nd half but it's done well, so it doesn't feel like a rip and has its own unique spring to it. You're still tasked with certain objectives but you are given a lot of freedom over how to do it, which is very cool. Just in case you are worried, the game does auto-level your unused PCs, so you're never at a big disadvantage for not using someone. That and also Trails scaling.

Interestingly enough, the game also has 2 Gaiden type chapters. One in which you get to learn more about the Villains (for all that I didn't give a shit about half of them but hey) and the second one where you get to play as LLOYD BANNINGS from Trails to Zero. While I personally didn't care about the Villains chapter, you could certainly do worse. I appreciate the effort for all that I have my gripes with half of them (but not all). As for Lloyd's chapter, it's a nice little way to kind of show how the actions from Erobonian influence or have negative effects on other characters within the same world, which is easy to forget. Seeing Lloyd's brief perspective does sink in the fact that what we see through Rean is really only one side of the story. So for all that both of these chapters don't relate to the main cast themselves, I appreciate them being there, certainly from a story telling perspective as well.

Along the same vein, work on the PCs and NPCs are done excellently as in the first game. They all feel fleshed out and developed, have their own motivations and personalities and are easy to like. We also get more insight into some of the characters which we didn't see as much of such as Sara, Millium and Emma, who all really needed it since too much about them was all MYSTARY. Of course, in the end, this is still Rean's story, so we see a lot more of his struggles compared to the others. I'm still continuously impressed on the work surrounding the NPCs. As I noted in Cold Steel 1, Towa is pretty much like my favourite guest character ever sans Luserina. I guess I just like my women with the same traits: cute, compassionate, caring and competent. 

The villains though, I'm not exactly sure where to foothold them. Since this is a bit spoilery, I will be using some code/nicknames for them, although it should be obvious if you've played the game. Some of the antagonists are entertaining enough, but others I really find myself having a hard time caring about. The Turks are pretty laidback and strike me the same way as Reno/Rude were good in FF7. Gay Tuxedo Mask is hilarious every time he is on screen and I feel like this is basically OK in the Trails universe. Lesser interesting villains are Snobby Valkyrie and Pyro. They exist, but don't exactly make an impression. The worst ones though are actually the main villain set. Both Witch of the Abyss and Azure Knight inspire nothing but pure apathy from me and I had no qualms feeling that they both got what they deserved at the end. I get the game is trying to show the differences between Azure Knight and Rean, but this ain't no Yuri/Kato comparison. There's not enough done with Azure to really make you feel connected or sorry for him. In the first game, he intentionally seemed hollow to foreshadow events, so he didn't get the same sort of established development that would work for his story in part 2. Also, I will say I throughly enjoyed kicking their ass with my set ups because I am a spiteful individual and got a good laugh after all the bluster the game set it up to be :-*.  So some good, some bad. I don't hold writers too harshly for this since writing a good villain *is* hard. It's why I appreciate the really well done ones when they appear.

The ending of the game does conclude this part of the Erobonia arc instead of Part 1, which left things on a cliffhanger. It's a bit bittersweet in that it does conclude Class VII's tale and the story does come to a somewhat peaceful end, but at the same time, everyone departs on their own separate ways, having all found things that they want to do sans Rean. And for that, it is quite fitting the last scene in the game is them heading out to the train station (remember the symbolism I mentioned in the first game?). We know that there is a part 3 coming, so it will be interesting to see where they go from this point. Obviously, there are some questions still left unanswered and Palpatine isn't exactly a paragon of virtues. It's also obvious from the bonus chapter with Lloyd that Rean is somewhat conflicted with his new role, fame and connection to Palpatine. My guess is that Part 3 might bring back some of the characters from Azure again as Gaiden type chapters or they could potentially be integrated into the main Acts similar to guest characters in CS2. It'll be on my radar for games to watch out for when it comes out. Until then, I do highly recommend this as a play for anyone who's looked at the series. Both Part 1 and Part 2 are probably 9/10s alone, but are a 10/10 when you play them in succession. If you are worried about the difficulty, you could do Nightmare but I imagine it still has the same late game problems. You basically have to ban yourself from using that stuff and actually give enemy turns. Y'know, like those strange folks that didn't stack Intrude through Wild ARMS 4.

EDIT: So, the PCs! It's the same core cast but you lose 1 of the characters in CS1 in replacement for Sara in CS2. Functionally, the PCs have the same strengths as they did in CS1. They did buff some of the characters / nerf others to try and deal with the balance between them and for the *most* part, this is successful I feel. It's not like the cast was terribly imbalanced to begin with, so a lot of it was also tweaking what certain Master Quartzes do. As a general rule, arts/magic are still the go to for your standard good damage source, while S-crafts are where you get the massive damage numbers to come out. Regular crafts are good for random smashing with base physicals basically being something you should never use unless you are chipping or just need to poke something to death. Anyway, Spoilery stuff; you've been warned!

Rean -
Rean continues to be likable main. Has certain moments of doubts, but in general, doesn't wallow in self pity, inspires his allies and towards the end of the game, he's very much the symbol or representation of hope (quite literally too). This should be interesting come CS3 because you can see some of the parallels and troubles that he's likely running into. We've seen some of Osborne's agenda where has acts like Putin and annexes other states into the Erobonian empire. Given Rean's connection to Crow and Crow having explained why he turned traitor, there's no doubt that Rean doesn't agree with Osborne's methods. Yet the end reveal in CS2 shows that he likely feels on some level to be obligated by duty to do what Osborne wishes. Not just because of familial ties but also because him and Valimar's presence are a major boost to the army's morale and it might be what needs to be done to keep everyone in the nation safe. Since CS2 represents only 60% of the Erobonian arc, CS3 should have a lot of pay off with some of this stuff.

My only gripe with Rean isn't so much as it is with him but with the bonding events. You do get a special scene depending on who you choose as your partner in the final bonding event, but some of it feels very uneven. As you might be aware, like the first game, you can bond with certain NPCs (Towa/Alfin), but both Towa and Alfin only get 1 bonus scene as opposed to 2 with your classmates. Also, the emotions expressed are *very* different. As an example, the Alisa final bonding event has them both finally admitting their feelings towards each other. Which is good! But by comparison, the final bonding scene with Towa leads into Rean expressing regret to Towa that he couldn't keep his promise to her and she merely comforts him as they both try to cope with the loss of losing a friend. This is kind of a huge difference. I mean yes, Crow is definitely closer to Towa/Rean than to Alisa, but he was still part of their class as they so emphasize. Maybe I'm just sad that the final bonding event with Towa doesn't involve the two of them confessing to each other. I dunno :P. Maybe in Cold Steel 3.

In battle, Rean is definitely one of the MVPs in the entire cast of 16. Good thing too since he's always forced. As a reminder, his base elements on his ARCUS are 2 time, one fire, so he's set to be more of a Time Augmented Swordsman. Both in CS1 and CS2, AT Delay is existent. However, in CS2 though AT Delay feels much more devastating because it's success is influenced by Speed. Even though enemies may have 80% resistance, a fast character still has like a 50-50 chance to inflict it and it works the same way as before, with the value on your quartz bonuses added to the Delay of whatever attack you are using. Since Rean's Arc Slash/True Arc Slash has the same faster recharge as in CS1, he can literally spam this and lock enemies down forever. About midway through, Raven MQ was permanently slapped on Rean because of the innate Speed Boost and further Delay boosting. At the end, each time Rean inflicted AT Delay, it more or less pushed enemies back by 45 CT or something which is equivalent to 3 turns. Just utterly devastating and stops enemies dead. The main issue he has is that he will run out of CP if you aren't paying attention so he also needs a CP Boosting accessory or a battery to keep this up. Also helps if you have some one who can recharge his buffs to keep the Delay pushback. His Magic stats are meh, but it's not like you need him to be a mage since there are plenty of those to go around if you need it.

DL Wise, Rean wants his CS2 form so bad. He also wants you to give him starting CP since some of his nastier abilities such as Spirit Unification gives him 3 super charged turns. It does cost 100/200 CP though, so if he starts at like 0, there's pretty much no chance for him to get to it normally. His MQ has base CP Regeneration now, but it's sluggish at only like +5 per action. He can also SUMMON BIGGER LAGGY into a fight although I've never used the command. It's probably pretty devastating though since it uses Valimar's stats to determine damage during those turns versus Rean's stats and Valimar's stats are like 3-4x higher. Compared to CS1 where he didn't have these options, and the answer is pretty obvious. Becomes some form of High Heavy/Low Godlike likely if you give him all the tools he needs. Otherwise, mm...Low Heavy I guess?

Alisa -
The canonical heroine. Similar to Rean, the bonding events are really what strike me as being interesting going forward. At the end of the game, she returns to the Reinford company to help her grandfather and mother rebuild it. She's made the promise in CS1 to inherit the family business, which means that if CS3 is several years into the feature, she'll likely still be prominent, although whether or not she will be playable is up in the air. Most of Alisa's development was done in CS1 so there really is not much change in CS2 (outside of the confession), which is focused centrally on Rean anyway. The real question though is how far they are willing to go with the canon thing. As I noted beforehand, some of the bonding events are more intimate than others and since Rean and Alisa confess to each other in their final bonding event, it will be kind of hard to pretend it never happened if they decide to do any sort of carryover. This wasn't the case in CS1 since the final bonding scene there is relatively mild, making the Carryover easy. Not exactly the same case here I feel. They could avoid carryover data but I somehow doubt it; there will likely be a lot of negative fan backlash if they go that route.

In battle, Alisa is a top tier PC. She's still the long range ordinance specialist with good attack stats and magic stat, although in CS2, you're much more likely to turn her into a mage than a physical attacker. She's the best physical battery by far thanks to Heavenly Gift, which provides GT Insight and Impassion (CP Regeneration). This allows a team to stay in the front-lines and be evasively tanky while being able to access their high damaging multiplier moves more consistently. Since since she works best in physical teams, she's best turned into a mage to fire offensive magic as support while the rest of the team goes toe to toe with the threats upfront. Her main weakness is that just like in CS1, she's fragile. However, if you are keeping the rest of your PCs upfront, she shouldn't be targeted that frequently, so the bad defensive stats aren't too crippling.

DL-wise...I dunno. Angel still has the same cheese as it did in CS1, so Alisa is still a massive threat that runs in Heavy with 2PB full auto-life and CP Recharge. But the damage feels higher in CS2 than CS1, so she likely doesn't like that even if her fundamental skill set is essentially the same. Probably prefers CS1 is my guess since her orbments are more unique then and if my suspicion is right, likes the lower damage average to make her more of a threat. Still likely some form of Heavy though.

Elliot -
He does get his dream of going to a Music Academy after the events of CS2, although his words to Rean emphasize that he won't be focused solely on music. Of course, he's more confident in his abilities, but still the same timid kid otherwise. They dig more into his musical background here than in CS1 to I guess re-emphasize that going to a military academy was only because his father pushed him into it. After the events of CS2, he gets the approval from his dad, so it does make a lot of sense as to why he would leave. Elliot feels like one of the least likely to return if they don't intend to bring back all of Class VII come part 3 as a result. He doesn't really have a reason to go back and fight since he has no major connections to any other outstanding questions left at the end, and much of his development is also done by this point. Sure, his dad is in the imperial army, but in the grand political strife that's going on, he's not one of major players.

Elliot is still the defensive oriented mage, with many of his crafts dedicated to healing and defense. Heck, his new S-craft is basically a panic button. Push it after something really scary to full Res/heal the party. But just like in CS1, he has the same issues here. Offense is far better towards the end than Defense, so Elliot gradually fazes out although given his arts score, he can still hang around as a decent caster. He's really good early on though, when you don't quite have the same level as broken and need a healer around for some of the longer engagements.

DL-wise, also probably prefers CS1 due to lower damage curve. Elliot's skillset doesn't really change come CS2. He does get some higher status affliction rates, but they are still iffy. He much rather have his CS1 incarnation so he doesn't have to turtle quite as long if my suspicion is correct. Some form of Middle/Low Middle likely.

Gaius -
Of all the characters that do leave at the end, Gaius is one of the few that sort of raises a question mark. He originally came to the academy to learn more about Erobonia so he can better protect his homeland. It seems to make more sense to me that he should have stayed behind to complete the rest of his education since its not like you can learn *everything* about a country in a year. I guess the game tries to sell you on that his homeland isn't in any real danger anymore so he sees no need to stay in Thors? Even still, that's kind of a weak reasoning. In terms of unresolved things, Gaius does have indirect ties to Wallace, who is a character they introduce late as part of the Imperial army. And since he basically went through the last 2 games being the more static character, I can see him making a return or at least a cameo to wrap up some loose ends there. He's not a bad character, but he does feel the least developed out of them.

In battle, one of the few PCs that got buffed. He's ended up as a tanky frontliner at the end of CS1, losing some of his random smashing potential. In CS2, he regains that PLUS being a great damage dealer from the boost to Wild Rage. It's now +60 CP instead of +40, and the upgraded version is +90 although you lose 20% more HP. Doesn't matter though. When backed up by a physical battery, it means Gaius can spam S-crafts better than anyone. On randoms, he just smashes them with a combination of Turbulence/Gale Storm. The added Unbalance status on Gale Storm does a number to targets because it opens them up much easier to being hit by follow ups where you can mass regain CP if necessary or just getting doubled physical hits in. He's probably in the upper echelons of the tiers now - weaker than say Rean for randoms and Laura on bosses but better than both respectively in the other categories. Because he can spam S-crafts better than anyone, he's probably worth actually keeping *underleveled* to get the bonus on the Revolution quartz while Laura takes the one for being higher leveled. That way you get 2 high damaging S-craft users to blow through boss HP quite quickly.

DL-wise, he's better but not by much I imagine. He has the same evade game, with better evade now (+15% base instead of +9%) and the stronger crafts obviously help him out. Some sort of Middle and runs screaming from mages.

Fie -
We learn more about her too in CS2, which makes sense since Xeno and Leo are two of the new antagonists that they introduce. More importantly, we learn about how Fie interacted with them and how she feels towards them as well as why they left her behind. Just as importantly, we see how they feel about her as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see if the two of them became playable alongside Fie in part 3. She leaves the academy to look for the rest of her old Jaeger corp (which she hears from the two of them that their old boss may not necessarily be dead) and since the stuff regarding the Jaegers isn't exactly wrapped up, well, I imagine she'll be returning in one form or another. I can imagine them doing more with this character too since there's a lot of emphasis on family within the game (between say Rean/Jusis who have major familial conflicts to lesser ones say with Alisa) and its quite clear that while Fie ties herself to Class VII now, she hasn't forgotten about her time in the corp with Zephyr.

In battle, also one of the few characters who received a buff. She has a natural base 30% evade now, which goes right up there with the evade tanking. She gets increasingly better at it too as the game goes on with better accessories, armor and master quartz bonuses. Towards the end of the game, I had her running at 95% Evade and 100% Magic Evade, meaning she was basically invincible unless something was ITE. Granted, if stuff does hit her, she's hurting pretty badly (that HP...), but you leverage stats towards what you're good at. She still has her good speed as well as damage and gains a new tech that makes her invisible, giving her auto-crits for two turns. One of the few characters who can pump out a large damage within a short time as well and is good in higher difficulties for baiting thanks to the evade tanking. Pretty damn good compared to CS1 where she was awful to start.

DL-wise, CS2 form should be superior. 30% base evade means that she can probably get around 45-50%ish without much trouble and the increased status chances and power along with Invisible adds to her offense to make her better. Her MQ also has an added Delay bonus now, so she should be quite strong, although that HP is still a problem. Mm...probably still a Middle though I think. Could swing Heavy I guess if the damage ends up really good, but I doubt it. Does get natural Chrono Burst though! No EP to really fuel it granted, but hey.

Machias -
Like Elliot, he leaves the academy at the end to pursue his dream, where he looks to become a scholar. Just like Elliot, much of Machias' development was done over CS1, and he himself doesn't really have any other connections or ties left to any of major questions left at the end of the game. EXCEPT! His dad is still the governor for the capital city, so it's quite possible he may make a cameo because of that! Remember, there's more regarding the political strife and unrest at the end, so the fact his dad is an official versus Elliot's dad is a little more important. His bantering with Jusis still exists, but its been toned down comparatively (again much of it was resolved in CS1), so he's more likable to start, but there's less room for growth overall.

In battle, took a hit from the nerf bat. Chrono Burst works a little differently, meaning you can't do an infinite turn loop with just him in the front line. Chrono Burst's EP cost also increased to a whopping 400 so it's less feasible to spam it. Burst Drive's CP Cost increased to 50 instead of 35 so it's less abusable. Much of the change hurts Machias compared to other characters it feels like. OR DOES IT? It's clear that there was an intended nerf to stop the infinite turn looping, but it actually really doesn't accomplish this. You can still do it, it just requires a more roundabout way of doing it. And the sad thing is, while it can be easy to fix, I don't see them fixing it even in CS3 unless they outright change the crafts/mechanics. The secret lies in the swapping function of the game. The game is designed such that on swap, your next action has an increased recharge rate. However, because Chrono Burst is instant, you can use it to wipe out any recharge penalty on swapping and gain an extra turn. This then, allows you to Burst Drive, boosting multiple people up the cue. You can then swap out Machias for another character and keep him in the back until the last character's turn in the cue, swap him back in, then do it all over again. Of course, without any help, you won't be sustain this very long due to the high EP and CP costs. But EP Boosting gear as well as EP Reduction Quartz and CP Regeneration items/accessories all exist. Along with the Moebius MQ, which you get for free in Act 1 Part 2 by the way, you can make the item use more efficient by doubling the effect and making it GT.  This in turn results in the final series of boss fights in just a little before the Finale basically getting zero turns. You win if you get a turn. Literally. I know the DL makes that comment a lot in matches, but this is a case where the engine actually exists in the game where you literally can't lose if you understand what to do. The moment you get a turn, it's basically over. So where does Machias rank? I have no idea. He's absolutely broken in the late stages of CS2 (for all that Claire can do the same thing, her GT Turn shift move is even more CP intensive and you can't use Guests in the main quest and still need 4 members of Class VII for the bosses in the Epilogue) but early on, he's sort of underwhelming and definitely feels the weakest. So very much like Engine type decks in table top games, he's like a 2/10 PC early and 11/10 PC late due to the way the game works. As noted for CS1, GT Turn Shift is stupid. Quick is stupid. Instant Cast Quick with GT Turn Shift = stupid stupid. Machias is kind of the living proof of it once late game rolls around.

DL-wise, he's a lot better actually. Iron doesn't actually suck this time! It has damage reduction of 50% at Max HP and he starts with HP Regen, so that's probably too much for some Lights to deal with. Similar to Elliot, except Machias' damage is likely worse since his magic attack is bad which just leaves him with regular physicals/techs that have to compete with better PCs in that field (Rean/Laura/Fie/Gaius all say hi). Still probably Middle, but a better one.

Laura -
She leaves at the end of the game to continue her training directly under her father, who's one of the strongest swordsmen in the land. Similar to Gaius, this decision just feels weird. It's not completely out of character since in the Finale, Duvale does want to challenge her and if you bring Laura to the fight, it's clear that Laura feels like she needs way more training to catch up to the Enforcers. However, it's odd because it's not like she can't do that *after* graduating from Thors. Even more weird is that she says several times to Rean that she doesn't feel like learning just about the sword is enough yet that's...pretty much what she ends up doing in the ending? Um...okay. A weird decision, but does set her up as likely a returning character in CS3 along with some of the unresolved stuff with the Enforcers you do meet in the game.

Battle wise, virtually no change. She's still a massive physical cannon who is a bit sluggish but brings the pain like no other. She's the strongest PC by far and it's not unheard of for her to literally OHKO late game bosses from crits and stacking multipliers together. It does require you to conserve and be patient somewhat, but it's very much worth it given the amount of damage you dish out as a result. A bit one-dimensional and Gaius and Fie can both do similar things but have other utility functions. She's just really good at what she does, but that's about it.

Virtually unchanged compared to CS1 in the DLwise. Radiant Wings isn't as strong but the rest of the package is similar and the status infliction rates are improved. Probably around the same Middle/Heavy border chances are.

Emma -
CS2 resolves much of the mystery around Emma, although not all. She is actually a witch which explains her strange magical powers and hides them to avoid drawing attention to herself. Celine, the cat, is actually her familiar (although this is quite obvious) and the role of the witches within the story is to guide the Awakener (a person who pilots a Divine Knight) as well as to observe the state of world and making sure to abide by the rules of their clan. We know that she and Vita are part of the same clan, and that Emma sees Vita more like a sister. Since Vita went into self-imposed exile towards the end, Emma and Celine wish to find more about her whereabouts and the plans unfolding behind the scenes, thus her withdrawing from the academy.  It's quite clear that she will be involved with the remaining questions, which will probably explain more about the lore and the Divine Knights themselves.

In battle, virtually the same like Laura. Still the better of your magical cannons and a good one at that. Her HP is bad, but she nukes groups of enemies pretty badly, elemental weaknesses be damned. She does have to compete with Toval in the Epilogue where her casting speed is slower although she tends to hit harder as a trade off. Typically a little sluggish as well since she needs her slots to outfit herself with elemental variety instead of being able to take additional stats. She is good at what she does though.

DL-wise, also somewhat similar. Better crafts, although she doesn't get as much use out of them and her MQ provides natural EP Regen now. Still has Magic Evasion and Reflect to counter spoil other mages if a bit physically fragile. Chances are, is still likely some form of Middle/Heavy.

Jusis -
He will likely still have a big role to play come CS3. His dad is imprisoned at the end of CS2 by his own hands, and since his brother is the viceroy for Crossbell, this leaves Jusis essentially as the ruling Lord over his father's lands. It's quite obvious that Jusis' views are not the same as those of other nobles and thanks to his time with Class VII, there's no reason to anticipate that he will flip over. It does however raise some questions regarding how his rule is going to be not just over his father's lands, but also with the people and other ruling nobles. I suspect that there will be a confrontation with his brother at some point since while you do fight him once in the game where the game cheats and lets Rufus "win". So that's also a loose end that hasn't been wrapped up yet. And since his brother is a prominent figure in the lands that was just annexed...well...

Battle-wise, Noble Command. It's still crazy good since it adds all three offensive buffs (Attack/Magic/Speed), buffs Jusis himself at the same time and is great for offensive momentum. He also has Platinum Shield which blocks a physical attack and can work in place of Adamantium Shield castings, for all that it's not really useful if you're going for full on cheese. His stats are balanced like last time as the magic fencer so you can customize it depending on whether or not you want more of a front line fighter or a back line caster. He is more durable than the other mages, so turning him into a supportive healer isn't a bad choice either. Fades off towards the end of the game or if you don't intend on spamming noble command. You have better mages and better fighters, so Jusis is in a weird position where if you don't like his crafts, he has very little reason to be in the team. Once the Epilogue rolls around, you get a guest PC who has the same offensive buffing that lasts longer, although it doesn't self buff. Said PC also has better magic, so it kind of overtakes Jusis at that point. He's still good for the main game for what its worth.

DL-wise, Mistral also got a big boost. He has healing now as well as a crit chance on casting and innate reduced casting delay. All these things are major boons to Jusis for in a 1v1 setting. Since his durability also doesn't suck nuts, along with his complementary crafts to his skill sets, I suspect he's likely a Heavy. Possibly better too depending on how the opening rounds damage works.

Millium -
Since Osborne isn't exactly dead at the end, Millium gets recalled back to the Intelligence Division. There's a lot more details regarding her history if you're willing to view some of her Bonding events. I only saw a few but it does show us how functionally, she's very much not the same as a human as she doesn't real feel sadness. In the ending though, she does end up shedding some tears, so there's a sign that she's changing. Thanks to unresolved stuff regarding her and Altina, she's very much likely to return, like it or not. I always feels like she's the odd person out in the cast though.

In-game, a more extreme version of Gaius who can tank like nobody's business. And this time, they boosted her offense so she can dish it out. Her actual HP score is fairly low, which is surprising, but the high Def and crafts make up for it. Her Magic stats aren't completely in the gutter, but she's not great. Her main problem outside of the HP is actually being sluggish. Along with Machias, she has one of the lowest base speeds in the game, which can be quite the problem.

DL-wise, man I dunno. Aegis MQ does have some trolling capacity on reflecting damage back to the attacker and Millium herself can regenerate a shield to protect her at low CP costs. So my kneejerk is that she probably wrecks physical fighters badly, although those that have damage control will probably get around her tricks in doubles. She'll probably hate mages just as much as Gaius though. I'll have to review her crafts to see if there's any synergy and how the rest of the Aegis MQ plays out. I suspect she's a similar Middle as Gaius with a similar game plan, but she's not as good as it since reflect damage is worse than evading in-game as you can counter in one case, but can't in the other.

Sara -
Finding out more about Sara in CS2 is actually fairly neat. She doesn't join until the halfway point, but once she is in the party, she does a good job as serving as the older mentor type figure if a bit more light hearted, in comparison to say others in this role (such as Auron). We do find out stuff about her (which I assume wasn't revealed in CS1) such as her being part of a former Jaeger corp, and that she grew up in pretty shoddy circumstances, which explains a lot as to how she's such a good fighter in the plot and why she seems flighty otherwise if not dealing with her students. Overall, she's pretty neat. Her past is definitely checkered, but she hasn't let that stop her from changing her into a Bracer and then an Instructor. As an Instructor she also lets them make their own decisions although she provides some advice based on her own experiences and let's them fly. I think the last game I played where a mentor figure was this good was Xenoblade.

In combat, she's a mixed attacker, emphasizing more on physicals than magic. Her base MQ doesn't have a lot spells and the draining aspect only comes from physicals/crafts. She's still pretty much a self sustaining unit though since her crafts have great area coverage allowing her to hit multiple enemies for the parasitic healing. Her self buff is great if you're not running Jusis, although it is somewhat CP heavy. Works best in boss battles obviously where you want the boosts for the offense. Otherwise, I don't find a compelling reason to use her over the rest of Class VII, funny that. She works in physical parties obviously, but she doesn't have Gaius' quick CP generation, Laura's immense strength or Fie's ability to get guaranteed crits.

DL-wise, if you give starting CP, Lightning Charge is scary. It adds Speed/Strength and Insight, letting her dish it out while evade tanking. She essentially becomes a faster Laura, who trades off some power for some evasion, better magic stats and more speed. A generally winning trade all things considered. Will have to see how damage pans largely IMO since a large part of the Thor MQ is the parasitic healing and of course, if the damage is bad, then the draining is also bad, which would make Sara worse. Probably a Heavy most likely.

GUEST PCs! All Guest PCs are playable for a short duration (about 1 Part in most cases) and are generally really good compared to the regular members of Class VII. To make up for their advantages, the trade off they usually end up making is having fewer crafts and equipment might be fixed...at least until the Epilogue. Usually this trade off is worth it but it varies of course.

Elise -
I think she actually ends up playing more of a role despite having less screentime than in CS1. She gets abducted super early and doesn't come back until the Finale of the game, so that's quite a stretch where she's absent. Obviously, her abduction is big motivating factor for Rean, even if it just comes down to "Damsel in Distress" somewhat. Pretty much the same thing as in CS1 except she just gets introduced and is danger once instead of being captive an entire game. So overall, a giant plot device >_>. Also, why does Japan insist on the trope of having a younger sibling have a crush on the older sibling? I mean yes, they aren't related by blood, but come on.

In battle, she's uh...bad. Low HP, bad damage and her healing craft is very CP intensive. However, in the prologue, you pretty much need her since Toval will be tied up casting offensive arts and Rean will be your only front liner. There's pretty much no reason to use her in the Epilogue as a result since she's essentially the same and has no good offensive stats to leverage.

DL-wise, most likely Light. May make Middle if the damage is okay. Aries MQ means she drains HP/EP on hit with spells, which is good and reduced Water delay helps with the spell casts, but the stats man. I just don't see how she manages if the damage doesn't pan out. At least that's very much how she plays out in-game

Toval -
The guest who sticks around with you the longest and definitely serves as the mentor figure when Sara isn't around. He has several scenes with Rean early and towards the end tries to recruit him into becoming a Bracer. While Rean has rejected the effort at the end of CS2, I suspect that by the end of CS3, he will likely join them. A lot of what Rean does (and his personality at that) is helping others around him, even those who may be strangers, which is pretty much what a Bracer does. And its not like he dislikes that type of thing either. I wouldn't be surprised if Rean cuts all ties to the military/empire in CS3 and ends up becoming independent, taking on the role of the Bracer at the end and Valimar becomes the new symbol instead of the Gauntlet.

In-game, Toval is vitally important since there's portion of the game where he and Rean are the only characters in the party and Rean hasn't gotten any of the gear to make him good yet. His special accessory (which is locked on him) allows him to cast magic twice as fast, making him by far the best caster of the entire cast sans maybe Emma due to not having as much power. He's also decently quick too and a couple of his crafts are very debilitating by having the rates go as high as 90-100%. Durability wise, he's not that bad either with solid enough HP. He's very much a Red Mage type as a result. By the end, he's not as dominating since there's way more good stuff at the end, but you can stack the cast reduction stuff on him for absolutely silliness. Ever seen a Tier 5 magic being cast at 3 CT? Toval can!

DL-wise, Toval is good. He has the Wing MQ, which means he gets all of its bonuses. This includes full Status immunity, 15% base physical evade as well as 50% Magic Evasion. Along with his Fast Casting accessory, he should be able to dish things out relatively quickly. Oh, Wing can heal too, so he can probably keep himself afloat and use some of those powerful status crafts I mentioned before hand. One of them inflicts Seal and another one inflicts Mute, so he can shut down the opposition and lob Wind magic after them until they die. Hates Wind Resistance though, since otherwise he has to use his physical which is much less good than his fast casting. Probably a Heavy of some sort.

Claire -
I have no idea on Claire. She's definitely one of the characters where there are still questions left unanswered and being tied to them seeing as how Osborne is her boss. Her relationship with Rean is interesting to say the least. I can't get a good read on it. Like does she see him as more of a younger sibling, or is there some sort of general attraction? I mean, the game hints that's there's something more, but what it actually is, is a mystery. In any case, it's quite clear she respects Rean and they're very likely to be working together going forward given Rean's stance on staying at the academy and taking occasional requests from the empire. We'll likely see more of her in CS3; maybe even as part of the main cast too.

In game, she's a mixed attacker as well, with more emphasis on magical stats than physical ones. She doesn't have Toval's fast casting, but her physical as well as her crafts are much stronger. In particular, she has one craft, Flawless Command that is MT Turn Shift and also adds Str/Defense Up. It costs a whopping 60 CP so the cost is obviously meant to prevent it from being too powerful. What's funny though is that at the time when she first becomes playable, Machias is too. So if you can a good CP generation loop going, you can start your infinite turn loop here already although it is much less effective since two people will be tied up casting Turn Shift crafts instead of just one. Her other crafts include one that inflicts Freeze at 100% and ID at 60%; both of which are quite strong as a result. She's the most balanced of the Guest PCs you get for the first half of the game. In the Epilogue, there is no real reason to use her over Machias, but she can do the same silliness as him too. Just remember that you need 4 members of Class VII anyway, so taking Claire with you is a little less likely then taking Machias.

DL-wise, gets hosed unless you give her starting CP. Moebius's bonus are all with items, so she gets nothing from her MQ and is basically stuck trying to carry her matches through with her superior crafts. Freezing Rain is super good though due to the high freeze chances and infrequency of it being blocked, but even then, she can also try opting for ID which works as well. Both crafts are relatively high on the cost (40 each; it is is also one of her weaknesses as PC - just eats CP faster than others) so she won't be able to sustain them for that long, but if one does hit, the fight is pretty much over. Probably a Middle is my guess as a result.

Sharon -
Lots of mysteries still surrounding Sharon. Most of it Ouroborus related (freaking Illuminati, man) so maybe it will get sorted out by part 3? One can hope. For now though, she ends the game off returning to serve the Reinford household even though through the events of part 1 and part 2, its quite obvious she has a much bigger role to play than just as a house servant. You do get some history if you do the bonding scenes (and you should; Sharon is awesome) which sheds a little into her background, but its not much sadly.

Gameplay wise, uh...Sharon is ridiculous. High Attack, High Speed, 30% base evade, good magic stats. I mean, yeah, you know she's gonna to be good since she's an enforcer but she pretty much wrecks everyone in terms of the overall package. Her only flaw is that her HP isn't terribly high, but given the evade and her other abilities, it's unlikely for her to take much of a hit if you're doing things correctly. Her two attack crafts have huge range and hit twice. With the Juggler MQ, it procs status effects on every hit, so that's double the chance on crafts for her to hit with something debilitating. She pretty much cleans randoms without needing help from anyone due to her speed. In a pinch, she can also work as a semi battery as her last craft gives her the ability to restore the everyone's HP (sans herself) by 50% and 50 CP. Just absolutely nuts when you get her.

DL-wise, probably the best PC side dueller after Rean/Alisa? Fast speed, with multi-status afflictions on her abilities. Accurate too, so its hard to avoid them and she can get 50% base evade if she so chooses. That coupled with her high speed makes her tough to stop. With starting CP, she can also use Shadow Stitch which busts people speed and basically makes them immobile, allowing her to pick people off with magic if you're down with range games. Heavy, and likely a good one.

Alfin -
I really do hope they do more with Alfin. She works as the figurehead for the royal family while you have the airship and actually gets saved halfway through the game. Although she doesn't really join in on the front-line fighting, her presence does make a lot of sense. She's pretty fun to boot so it's pretty enjoyable watching her interact with other people. At least when she's on-screen anyway.

You get her for a brief stint where she's a pretty bad (no crafts, middling stats), but in the Epilogue, she's much better equipped. A strong mage PC, she's like a more extreme version of Jusis. No Platinum Shield, but her S-craft adds both barriers at the same. Royal Cheer lasts longer than Noble Command and she's a better caster at the cost of worse physical abilities. She's certainly better than Elise, although I'm not sure where to place her. Probably Mid-tier ish? Competing with Emma and Toval as a caster isn't exactly fun when you don't bring too much else to the table.

DL-wise, man. I'm not sure she even has a MQ? That would give her a big disadvantage to start. She did come with some starting quartz on her though, so hey, there's hope! Maybe >_>. I'll need to replay up to point to tell you for sure.

Angelica -
I like the second years (sans Crow since, well, y'know). She's laid back and lives very true to herself, and will call you out on your bullshit if you do something to deserve it. She disobeyed her father in the part 1, and in part 2, she actively leads a rebellion against him, settles the score during the story and also arrests her uncle who is total putz. So yeah, she's great. She graduates at the end of the game and decides to go traveling the world to broaden her horizons - very much in tune with her character. I hope we get to see her again since she rules.

In-game you get to use her for a whole Part and she's quite strong when she's around. She has a unique accessory that can't be removed but the real cool stuff is in her crafts. Remember how Rean has True Arc Slash? Angie has a similar attack in Laser Bullet 2. It has the same range, same AT Delay and costs only 20 CP. 20. Jesus. She can literally spam this thing without issue. However, the main trade off is that Laser Bullet doesn't recover as quickly as True Arc Slash and Angie doesn't have the free time slots that Rean has so she can't utilize a delay strategy as he can. Doesn't mean you can't put them together in the party and watch the fire works of stacking AT Delay on a target. She also has a self buff move and another craft that has 90% chance of inflicting Stun. Stun is devastating since it doesn't wear off, kills your evasion and while it's active, you take critical damage to EVERYTHING. So yeah, she's great while she's around. Not as good as Sharon, but they don't compete until the end of the game anyway, at which point, she's still a decent choice.

DL-wise, Emblem is funny. It can reduce damage up to 99% although I don't know exactly how the damage reduction works. It can make her obnoxiously hard to kill. She's also a case of "protect against or Stun or die" probably given the 90% chance on Zero Impact. Emblem can also cast SHINING, giving her a decent evade game too. Pretty solid all things considered. Probably a High Middle most likely. Might make Heavy depending on how Emblem works and when the extreme reduction kicks in.

Towa -
Okay, I've already gushed about Towa. The best perspective I can give is to draw the comparison to Luserina again. She's compassionate, helping others with their troubles in times of crisis, caring and considerate by looking after everyone in the student body and competent at what she does when she becomes the acting Captain of the airship. Also, she's adorable. This character already made an impression in the first game the first time she's introduced, but she basically keeps me attached because she's constantly doing stuff in-game that's very supportive and selfless, even to people who she may not necessary know well. I would probably genuinely fall in love with someone like this in real life. Would really love to see her return in Part 3 (and maybe do something more with Rean), but I can see her also not returning since at the end of the game, she's also on a tour of the country, but this time to various not-for-profit run facilities such as Hospitals. Didn't I say I love this character?

You get to use her all of ONE battle and its kind of an unimpressive one before the Epilogue. Once you finally do get to use her for more than 1 fight, well it's interesting to say the least. Towa's biggest issue is how fragile she is. She has other issues such as being saddled with 2 Water and 1 Earth slot, which are both sort of underwhelming slots to be stuck with. However, if you mess around with set ups, she's actually quite powerful. Her Magic stat is amongst the highest in the game and she has an unique craft that is excellent for mage type parties. It adds a Debilitator effect on use and increases the elemental damage the enemy takes by 50%, allowing you to use magic way more effectively than before. Her other two crafts includes Energy Rain, which is basically a buffed version of Machias' Energy Shell. It can self target and heals a decent chunk of EP and a line target magic attack that is alright but nothing spectacular. Works best in magic type parties or as the caster of the party herself where she can launch magic for offense and use her crafts for support.

In the DL, she has issues. For starters, she's equipped with the Sceptre MQ which is just atrocious in terms of stats. Most notably, it hurts her speed and HP, 2 things which she wasn't great at to begin with. It's the "grind more" MQ that gives you better rewards for fighting randoms in increasing the Sepith gains and EXP. These two things don't really help. Being Fragile also means she can't make great use of that Debilitator type craft since she often times may not have free turns. Kind of sad, but I'm anticipating more of Low Middle/Light area. Like the other guests, she does come with some starting quartz, so maybe those can help her out, but I sort of doubt it.

PC Tiers (Main Game) - blah blah opinions blah
Top: Rean, Alisa
High: Gaius, Fie, Laura
Middle: Sara, Emma, Jusis
Low: Elliot, Millium
Bottom: Machias (until late game, then Machias > Everyone)

PC Tiers (as at Epilogue)
Top: Machias/Claire (if going for cheese), Rean
High: Sharon, Alisa, Gaius, Fie, Laura
Middle: Emma, Toval, Angelica, Sara, Claire (if no cheese), Towa,
Low: Millium, Jusis, Elliot, Alfin, Machias (if no cheese)
Bottom: Elise

And yes, I am discounting mirrors because ahaha getting 200,000 Mira for one. No.

Whew, took a while to type that all up. If you read all that, you deserve a cookie :3.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 04:51:48 AM by Tide »
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: September 23, 2016, 08:16:50 AM »
PW6: Finished Case 2.  I liked the case a lot!  But it also triggers some of my main nitpicks with the Phoenix Wright series.  But but also tweaks some common annoyances, so I can't complain too much.

I will say in non-spoilery stuff.  It involves a murder at a magic show.  One of the issues that comes up is that there's a "real" sword and a "fake" rubber sword in the show, and there's arguing about which one was where.  Uh...  Trucy.  We're gonna need to pull your license to perform here, because there shouldn't even be a real sword there.  When Penn & Teller do the gun shooting trick, they don't have a "remember to swap the fake gun in for the real gun" step and hope the trick gets performed perfectly 300 times in a row.  They should ALL be fake.

Also, while I actually really like the addition of stage magic - it's something that happens to meld REALLY well with PW-style plots, giving an excuse for some pretty intricate craziness - and also like Trucy as a character, the tone on the Gramareye backstory is still all wrong.  The game really wants to pretend like Magnifi Gramareye was some kind of inspirational hero, not a psychotic petty tyrant.  And hell, it seems like "Lamiroir" has still not bothered introducing herself to her kids, so she's a jerk too.  Valant was like the only sane one of the bunch.  You can keep this whole plot if you want, game, but cast it as Trucy luckily escaping from the den o' vipers.  The prosecutor is actually right that the Gramaryes have a weird criminal instinct magnet in them, it seems.

A few nitpicky thoughts:

* Trucy.  I realize that everything is VASTLY SPED UP in the world of PW, with the instant trials, instant repossessions, etc., but if you're worried about still doing your show, news flash, your CO-STAR WAS JUST MURDERED.  I don't care if the police wrap up their investigation instantly, don't you need to, you know, create a new show without him?!  It sure sounded like he was pretty important in it!  (I could maybe, maybe see Valant coming back to fill in, but not Apollo.)

* Speaking of which, but since it got brought up again but is more an AJ whine rather than a PW6-2 whine.  The game really likes to act as if the Gramareye legacy is some SUPER-SEKRIT manual that if you don't read, you don't know how to perform the tricks.  i.e. it's not just "performing rights" or some such.  Now, apparently people can perform magic acts with shockingly little support staff (almost as if this narrows the cast of suspects down to identifiable personalities...), but if nothing else, the *magicians in the show* damn well need to know how they work.  (So if Valant didn't use the legacy, it should only be because he was being honorable, and related to 6-2, there's little need for Manov Misteree to steal the book if he's actually working with Trucy Wright.  (Maybe it was for the "reveal the Gramareye secrets" thing he thought he was doing?  Dunno.)

* This case was profoundly uninterested in Manov Mistree, too.  Did he have any sort of family?  Friends?  He worked with Mr. Reus for 2 years, too.  Was there some falling out?  Was Reus so stone-cold crazy that he'd murder an affiliate & fan?  Also, the Gramareye motto can go jump in a lake, it's perfectly fine to *not* smile since SOMEBODY IS DEAD HELLO you're supposed to feel sad now.

* Not that I'm particularly complaining, but just because Trucy did the little spin on video doesn't mean she actually swapped the swords.  If she actually had murderous intent (off the...  very little...  evidence the prosecution had for this), she could just fake doing the trick then get to stabbitying.

* I'd argue that they reversed the compelling-ness of the evidence at the very end.  The fact that the handprints were weird is a mere curiosity - it is perfectly reasonable that in a tight space, people get wedged in weird or the wrong way.  On the other hand, everybody seemed to gaily slide past Mr. Hat's cape being slashed, which is actual physical evidence that there was a hidden blade somewhere, especially if Mr. Hat can be seen to be undamaged earlier in the show!  Or the fact that Mistree was stabbed in the back!  (which granted, MIGHT have happened in the final theory of the crime, that Trucy did it afterward, but fits the defense's version better.)

* I wouldn't be so sure that Betty actually likes you, Trucy.  Athena's mood monitor indicated she was pretty happy about you getting screwed over, which may not be the best basis for cordial relations!

A few quick spoilery positive things, though:

* I really liked that this case had an authentic unbreakable alibi that actually was unbreakable, and didn't involve some kind of "oh but the witness could have opened a window, climbed through the air ducts, navigated Anor Londo, swung the body through a rope & pulley system...." explanation.  No he just set it up in advance, then took advantage of the extraordinarily poor police procedures in securing a scene.

* Some of the failed options / presents are pretty awesome.  I especially liked one where Our Prosecutor suggests Athena run a quick therapy session for Apollo, and she bothers to get as far as booting up Widget to 'fix' Apollo before he objects.  Or calling Betty a slacker for why she didn't prepare the fire bucket.

As Meeple already noted, I really liked that they bothered to let you do all the investigation, then do all the court.  Yes, it meant that if you were vaguely paying attention you'd have a really good guess at some twists that won't come up for a bit at the trial, but whatever. 

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: September 23, 2016, 10:42:58 PM »
I was playing through the Apollo episode of the Asinine Attorney DLC and I was reminded that I had wanted to complain about the flashbacks in the game.

I assume that flashbacks in general in AA isn't anything unusual, but something about them in this game really annoys me whereas I don't recall them having done so before. I'm not sure what might have changed?

There are times when the game runs the same flashback multiple times in reasonably close proximity, also times when the flashback happens only shortly after the actual event, but those aren't the only times they were annoying.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 10:44:30 PM by Twilkitri »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: September 23, 2016, 11:19:38 PM »
@Tide
It is pretty obvious at this point that Sen 3 will be dealing with Crossbell Liberation War. That's how they are going to bring the Ao cast back. And we all know how that war ended, so we can have a fair guess on what's going to happen to Rean and Rufus at this point.
Especially Rean, I totally see him felling into the same loophole that Arios did back in Ao.

As for Alisa, most likely Falcom will just continue on with her being the cannon heroine. That was their intention originally anyway. No way they can avoid the problem, as Alisa has to show up eventually in 3rd now with all evidence pointing at 5th Development being one of the <13 Ateliers>.
Gaius actually has more chance of showing up again than meets the eyes. He is connected to the 4th Star Grail Knight if you did his last side quest. And we know both 4th and the 2nd Star Grail Knight is making their moves now on the 2 Septentrions in the Empire. Not to mention there is one more Divine Knight left unbooted over at the North. They have to address that too.

As for Laura, I think that happens because plot demands.  Unless Falcom wants to test the fans patience again by totally not addressing on <Project Phantasmal Flame> again on the next game, Arianrhod the <Steel> has to show up on the next game to finish up the project. And we have more than enough foreshadowing on the relationship between Laura's lineage and <Steel>. So they kinda have to get Laura into shape to be able to interact with <Steel> eventually.

About Millium... well. I'll just say I am extremely happy to see her first sign of change is when she saw Jusis in distraught with his family, and she has this uncomfortable feeling inside her that she can't put to words. I am looking forward to their relationship in the 3rd game. Please pleeeeease wed them alreadyyyyyy!!!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1905 on: September 24, 2016, 02:10:32 AM »
I will say in non-spoilery stuff.  It involves a murder at a magic show.  One of the issues that comes up is that there's a "real" sword and a "fake" rubber sword in the show, and there's arguing about which one was where.  Uh...  Trucy.  We're gonna need to pull your license to perform here, because there shouldn't even be a real sword there.  When Penn & Teller do the gun shooting trick, they don't have a "remember to swap the fake gun in for the real gun" step and hope the trick gets performed perfectly 300 times in a row.  They should ALL be fake.

Actually it's pretty reasonable for a magic trick to use a sharp sword/knife to prove "yes this is dangerous" before they're swapped by misdirection, I feel? (Or, see, what Trucy did with the apple.) I'm not an expert on magic shows but I'm pretty sure I remember things like this. Guns are both much more dangerous and harder to prove they're "real" in such a visceral way anyway (that isn't also dangerous), so might as well just use a fake all the time.

And yeah Gramarye plot still gonna Gramarye plot.

I will post my thoughts on the first two cases in a bit!

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: September 24, 2016, 04:41:47 AM »
Not 100% sure about all magicians, but Penn & Teller specifically at the very least would say no.  They had a mini-diatribe on using self-danger as kind of a cheap trick to heighten the stakes and how they're not really a fan; not that playing with it isn't fun, of course, but they want to be very clear to their audience that they are not in mortal peril here.  For example, the gun trick involves a glass pane in the middle getting a bullethole in it to prove that yes, we're really firing at each other, but no, it's not REALLY from a fired bullet.  There's another trick where Penn is firing a nailgun alternately at wood and then sometimes his knee based on a pattern, complete with what looks like REAL NAILS being jammed in at high speed into it, and to prove the point that this was not necessarily a prodigious feat of memorization, he closes it off by putting the nailgun to his throat and firing.  (i.e. no, if he messed up the trick, he was not going to wound himself earlier or something.)  Ignoring the issue of magic philosophy for a moment, most magic acts probably want insurance these days (may not apply in PW-verse), along with complying by any government regulations, and having an actually-safe act that doesn't kill people even in event of a mistake seems a lot safer than a "do this correctly or people die" act.

That said, I suppose you're right that there would be some edgy acts that would ignore this, but seems like a bad idea.  Easier to get special fruit or cheat in other ways to make it appear dangerous, but not really be dangerous.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: September 24, 2016, 04:58:11 AM »
@Niu
Thanks for some of your thoughts. I haven't played Trails to Zero/Azure unfortunately and with no translation, I can't see myself picking them anytime soon. So some of the stuff you are referring to, I actually have no idea. Can you post them here in spoiler font or PM me? I don't mind the spoilers, but I know several people would so it's better that way.

With Rean and Rufus, I dunno. Some body on GameFAQs mentioned they imagine the next game is a dual perspective, but I have a feeling its still going to be one perspective going forward - Rean's. My thoughts are that Rufus is definitely going be some sort of antagonist or boss that you have to fight at some point since it's just so set up regardless of which perspective you are looking from (both Rean and Lloyd would have reason if the game heads towards where I think it will). Not sure if that's what you mean. I also wouldn't be surprised if you had to fight Rean at some point and he finishes learning the Advanced/Mastery level of the Eight Leaves Style by the time the game starts, literally turning him into some kind of folklore hero (or villain depending on who you ask).

I definitely agree that Alisa's kind of locked in. It's more so me wondering how they are going to handle Bonding Events (if they return) and Carryover Data (if they choose to do it). Like you said, I think Falcom at this point is just going to stick Alisa in and make her canon, at least for sure by the end of the third game (which breaks my heart :( ). Not only is this easier to bring her back in, but the confession scenes definitely place themselves into a corner and it sounds like based on what you're saying, she has a bigger role left to fulfill as well. I wonder how the two things I mentioned will work or if they will even return. I would think they would since it's expected in the trilogy now, but I think you're right from a story telling perspective.

Gaius always struck me as someone who they can bring back pretty easily. As I noted, there's some loose ends related to him indirectly. Are you talking about the 2 generals when you refer to the Star Grail Knights? I did do Gaius' last bonding even for his character note, but I don't seem to recall him having a direct connection with them. Well, outside of indirectly to Wallace like I mentioned. Laura returning is almost certain as well, I agree. I just find  the reasons for the two of them leaving the academy just seems odd. Like, it's not like they can't do the thing they want to do *after* they graduate. I mean sure, you can argue the same case for Fie, but in her case, if she doesn't start chasing down leads now, they might be gone forever. Gaius and Laura? They will still be training in the academy. It just feels kind of sloppy, which is strange given how tight the rest of writing is.

Millium seems to have taken over Machias' role at interacting with Jusis. Kind of strengthens my thoughts on Machias maybe not returning. As for the two of them being wed, only if I can get a Rean x Towa wedding >_>. Yes, I know it's not going to happen. Shhhhhhh... Let me dream about it okay :|
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1908 on: September 24, 2016, 05:47:00 AM »
gnoring the issue of magic philosophy for a moment, most magic acts probably want insurance these days (may not apply in PW-verse)

I can't bring myself to believe that the PW universe has the CONCEPT of insurance, let alone that anyone carries it.

I will say though that actually-sharp swords have a lot less that can go wrong with them than actually-loaded guns, so Trucy didn't stand out as especially irresponsible there.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: September 24, 2016, 07:28:51 AM »
@Niu
Thanks for some of your thoughts. I haven't played Trails to Zero/Azure unfortunately and with no translation, I can't see myself picking them anytime soon. So some of the stuff you are referring to, I actually have no idea. Can you post them here in spoiler font or PM me? I don't mind the spoilers, but I know several people would so it's better that way.

With Rean and Rufus, I dunno. Some body on GameFAQs mentioned they imagine the next game is a dual perspective, but I have a feeling its still going to be one perspective going forward - Rean's. My thoughts are that Rufus is definitely going be some sort of antagonist or boss that you have to fight at some point since it's just so set up regardless of which perspective you are looking from (both Rean and Lloyd would have reason if the game heads towards where I think it will). Not sure if that's what you mean. I also wouldn't be surprised if you had to fight Rean at some point and he finishes learning the Advanced/Mastery level of the Eight Leaves Style by the time the game starts, literally turning him into some kind of folklore hero (or villain depending on who you ask).

I definitely agree that Alisa's kind of locked in. It's more so me wondering how they are going to handle Bonding Events (if they return) and Carryover Data (if they choose to do it). Like you said, I think Falcom at this point is just going to stick Alisa in and make her canon, at least for sure by the end of the third game (which breaks my heart :( ). Not only is this easier to bring her back in, but the confession scenes definitely place themselves into a corner and it sounds like based on what you're saying, she has a bigger role left to fulfill as well. I wonder how the two things I mentioned will work or if they will even return. I would think they would since it's expected in the trilogy now, but I think you're right from a story telling perspective.

Gaius always struck me as someone who they can bring back pretty easily. As I noted, there's some loose ends related to him indirectly. Are you talking about the 2 generals when you refer to the Star Grail Knights? I did do Gaius' last bonding even for his character note, but I don't seem to recall him having a direct connection with them. Well, outside of indirectly to Wallace like I mentioned. Laura returning is almost certain as well, I agree. I just find  the reasons for the two of them leaving the academy just seems odd. Like, it's not like they can't do the thing they want to do *after* they graduate. I mean sure, you can argue the same case for Fie, but in her case, if she doesn't start chasing down leads now, they might be gone forever. Gaius and Laura? They will still be training in the academy. It just feels kind of sloppy, which is strange given how tight the rest of writing is.

Millium seems to have taken over Machias' role at interacting with Jusis. Kind of strengthens my thoughts on Machias maybe not returning. As for the two of them being wed, only if I can get a Rean x Towa wedding >_>. Yes, I know it's not going to happen. Shhhhhhh... Let me dream about it okay :|

Well, in Ao the Kiseki, the ending out right tells you that Crossbell win the liberation war and became an independent state. In other words, Rufus will be driven out in one way or another. Not to mention Osbrone he said he is going to hijack <Project Phantasmal Flame> from <Ouroboros>, so it is highly possible his true intention in annexing Crossbell is to get a hold on Kia, the artificial Septentrion made by the 3rd Apostle Mariabel (who replaced the deceased Weissman) that was used for the "Phantasmal" portion of the project. But Lloyd's over protectiveness on Kia is something that needs no discussion. SO yeah, tough luck to Osborne and Rufus.
 As for Rean, I truly feel he is entering the same loop hole that Arios fell into in Ao.
Arios is Rean's senior as a practitioner of the Eight Leaves School, who mastered the Second Style. He is a top class Bracer known for many legendary deeds. But he begin to participate in the scheme conducted by <Ouroboros> after the death of his wife. And he became a extremely conflicted person after that. Even he knows the true color of <Ouroboros>, he can't resist the thought to use their schemes to make Crossbell a better place. Yet, his action also got Lloyd's brother killed and betrayed many. It took until the end of Ao to have Lloyd beating some sense into him.
Now, replace Arios with Rean and <Ouroboros> with Osbrone. Clearly Rean knows Osborne is shady as hell. Yet, the same time he recognize Osborne's action will lead to the benfit of the empire, and eh also feel he has to fulfill some obligation to his father and thus following Osborne's not very nice orders. He'll most certainly fell into that same pit Arios was in eventually as this continues.
And I know I am going to love it if Lloyd is going to beat the senses into Rean like he did to Arios. Or better yet, let Arios himself teach Rean the lesson. This may also be a good opportunity to have Arios teach Rean the essence of the End Level of the Eight Leaves School.

The Gaius event I am talking about is not a bonding event. It is one of the last side quest in game, where you have to chase around a priest who Gaius was acquaintance with. In the end f the quest you'll never catch up to that priest, but it is revealed his the 4th... wait, my mistake, He is the 8th Star Grail Knights.
As for the 2nd Star Grail Knights. He'll reveal himself to you if you do the side quest of decoding the ancient text in the second cycle of the game.
Star Grail Knights are the knights serving of the church.
The first 12 knights are known the Dominion who commands the power of Stigma, which allows them to manipulate Artifacts to their will.
Ain the <Carnelian>, is the no.1, who is Toval's acquaintance. You can read their story in the in game novel.
Kevin the <Thousand Protection> from Sora games is no.5, Barquehorn the <Roaring Lion> who had taught Gaius in the past is no.8
Wazy the <Azure Codex> from Zero/Ao is no.9, and find out no.2 yourself in the second game cycle.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: September 25, 2016, 01:31:21 AM »
Star Ocean 5 Universe playthrough:  Beat the second tier of Cathedral of Oblivions, and finally got through the second and third Protect Anne bullshit missions.  It says something when a story mission is harder than the optional challenge dungeon.  But I didn't resort to using Dead Man Walking, so I can claim moral superiority.

FFBE:  So many new dungeons.  Mobs are still autobattle bait, but bosses require paying attention now.  Spent 60 Star Quartz on Earrings for Kefka, bringing him up to 340 magic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d44dZaV-Ue4

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: September 25, 2016, 02:08:54 AM »
Phoenix Wright: Spirit of Justice

Okay, here are my reviews/scattered thoughts on the first two cases. I'll avoid the worst spoilers (outside spoilertags), but... you probably shouldn't read this unless you've played the game anyway and are sensitive about such things. (I leave it unguarded for the people who are less bothered / on the fence about getting the game / etc.)

6-1:

Okay, starting with the vision sequence, which is neat. Showing us the sensory experience of the victim is cool! It was fun to pick apart the contradictions in what first appears to be such ironclad evidence, and setting-wise it makes sense that a country with this ability would often consider murders very open-and-shut. Rayfa seems neat (though she's 14? Really? Whatever, Ace Attorney), definitely has potential in later cases.

Y'know, AA, this was a perfect excuse to introduce a new judge character (as a judge, instead of a mental sparring rival like Courtney). It feels immensely tacky to have this "new judge" look and act almost exactly like the previous one, despite being from a different culture with a very different outlook on justice. You got away with this once with the Judge's brother, but this time it just feels lazy!

The actual killer isn't very intriguing, nor were there really many "aha" moments in unravelling his part in the crime. He might have some motivation for what he did but if so it's been saved for another case. His gimmick was fine (if a bit jarring setting-wise), but we've seen it before in 5-DLC and it was done much better then. Also, the musical direction of his testimonies was absolutely awful. Either he'd play his own music over the existing music in a way which made my ears bleed, or the music would cut to a new bar awkwardly with every line of his testimony. Again, 5-DLC already did this without these problems, what the hell!

On the other hand, I thought the surprise star of the case was Gaspen Payne. He worked really well here! I didn't like him much in Dual Destinies, he just seemed like a mean-spirited jerkass version of his brother. Here, he's still a mean-spirited jerkass... but he's a very dangerous one, being very good at being a brown-nosing weasel in his interactions with the judge and Rayfa. And he's quite happy to cheer for Phoenix to lose the case and his life. What an asshole. "The Incredible Payne", indeed.

Speaking of which, the DC Act. I kinda like this idea, logical extension of culture which demonises criminals... obviously those who would defend them are their co-conspirators, right? That said I kinda feel like it raised the emotional stakes maybe a bit too high for a first case. Also, uh, what if the accused had actually been guilty? (This has happened before, Phoenix!) That'd be a pretty awful way to lose your life! I would have been much happier if Phoenix could have been 100% certain that the accused was innocent... maybe use the magatama (and be much clearer in your questioning than a certain previous case), or actually be with him when he was supposed to do the murder, etc. As is he comes across looking like an idiot.

Speaking of which, he does a bit too much of that in this case in general. I think DD was already kinda bad about this at times but it came in much higher density here: Phoenix would often bluff (internal monologue going "I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING"). Not just once or twice, either... and worse, he would do it at times when I knew what the contradiction was already! Do not make Phoenix look stupider than the player, game. You can't get away with that after how good an attorney he was by the end of T&T, to say nothing of the shenanigans he pulls in Apollo Justice. This guy is the veteran! If you want to have a less confident attorney, one of the younger ones would have been more appropriate.

Overall: One of the weaker first cases. It was a bit too long for such a simple case, and neither the killer nor the accused were anything special as characters, nor was the murder itself much.

6-2:

First of all, I want to say that I think this case had potential to be really, really good. Some of the broad strokes of the case are solid. But... there are a maddening number of problems in the execution.

So let's talk about Trucy. I've always liked Trucy and while I liked Dual Destinies a lot I was somewhat disappointed how irrelevant she was. She's quite relevant here! She gets plenty of time to be on-screen and charming and it's great to see her actually doing magic instead of it just being a character trait. And while I think the writers were occasionally overfond of telling me how admirable she is in the face of aversity, I'll admit they also do an excellent job of showing it in that trial sequence.

We can also talk about Ema. Glad to see her back! I am conflicted about making her happy again; I actually really liked the moody Ema beaten down by life we saw in Apollo Justice, acidically chewing on snackoos and/or using them as a weapon. I guess I can't feel too bad about a character I like climbing back to a better lot in life, but it would be nice if it had happened on-screen? Fortunately, the snackoos return when she gets stressed out. Hopefully they do more with this in future cases.

In general I was really excited by the end of investigation. There were a heck of a lot of moving parts to decipher and I was looking forward to it. I feel like, overall, doing so wasn't as good as I'd hoped.

The idea of a remote murder is cool. The idea that something would go wrong and the killer would have to fix it, and ultimately make a small screw up doing so, was also good.

Bonny and Betty are fun enough but underutilised? Like... they seem like they should be at the core of the case, but ultimately they're basically just innocent bystanders. The game dramabombs the twin reveal in a way which reminds me far too much of the crap at the end of 5-3 trial day 1. How can you do that and have it be irrelevant to the plot? It also feels like it comes out way too easily/in a forced way. I want to like these characters more than I actually do.

Retins himself was certainly fun! Magnifi is a douche, I'm not surprised that someone would want revenge on him. He had great animations and I liked that even when he "got serious" it wasn't an over-the-top transformation, but enough subtle changes to let you know this guy was dangerous. (Also, love the fire animation.) I love his smug-snake alibi arguments and his asshole producer persona (and those signs he produces!) are great fun.

But... I have to say, killing Manov Mistree is just crazy? Like, okay, glorious revenge plot, sure. Murdering someone completely innocent, though, is weird even for that sort of person. I'd have been far, far happier if Mistree himself had also deeply wronged Retins/Reus, and deciphering that had been a key part of the case. Instead the victim is wasted/irrelevant, and Retins comes across as just... unbelievably amoral for brutally murdering him (instead of, y'know, Trucy). At least with Manfred's glorious revenge plot which killed someone else, that person had a very good reason to die: Yanni Yogi (who DID hate him) would kill him, with nothing that could link it back to Manfred.

Also, putting the murder location in a knife in the ceiling cushion is... um. That would get blood splattered all over the stage, sorry. Bzzt, try again in a world where Luminol doesn't exist.

It's also not terribly believable that Retins would have been able to tamper with the scene nearly as much as he did, I think. Given that neither Bonny nor Betty were in on it, he would have had to literally get all the security out of the room while he did it? And none of them would have been able to notice various things first, like the body hanging in the ceiling? C'mon. I don't care how powerful a producer he is, this is just "no".

Partly because of Mistree's irrelevance and the weird ceiling-murder, the final conclusions of the case aren't really all that satisfying.

First impressions of the prosecutor are a big yawn. Yes, yes, he has a new gimmick, to be added to the list of whips, coffee, air guitar, and samurai/hawk combo. But character-wise he's... totally paint-by-numbers and nothing remotely new. Admittedly Blackquill himself took time to grow into a truly unique niche, so maybe I should be more patient. We'll see, but for now he's just made... remarkably little impact. Nice animations though! Those continue to be good in general.

I'm glad that the "putting it all together" sequences from DD return; those are fun even if not challenging. (Also you can accuse a character of making poor life choices in one of the false branches.)

Overall: There's a lot to nitpick, but also quite a lot to like, and it's certainly far better than 6-1. I don't like it as much as the corresponding Dual Destinies case but it certainly doesn't embarrass itself. A mid-tier case.

Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: September 25, 2016, 03:35:03 PM »
Ignoring the nitpick stuff, I do generally agree with your assessments.  Though Case 1 was especially bad (as was the beginning of Case 2) because I didn't have text skip on so having to go through Case 1's killer's stuff was just painful and took forever.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: September 26, 2016, 02:23:42 AM »
Elf: Mostly agree with your comments as well!  Well except that I liked case 1 more, I guess.

* Rayfa being 14 I'm actually sort of okay with.  Yes it makes no sense, but it makes just as much no sense as all the other kids who should really be in school tagging around with the lawyers, or people becoming full-fledged lawyers at age 17 or 18.  More to the point, I'm pretty sure they want her to be an antagonist but not a bad guy, and 14 still fits in "VP Jelanda innocence" age of not really being expected to have a developed sense of political reality.  The same character at 17 becomes more of a villain for being so oblivious to the fact that her parents are evil.

* I assumed the discordant squeaks were *intentional*, myself.  It's metal.

* For Phoenix's character...  eh, it's a tricky balance.  Being a lovable goofball is part of the original character concept.  I'm fine with including some references to this, even if it means that his character development seems to go slightly into reverse from serene uber-badass of AJ who wins every single poker game.  But yeah, I'd argue it's more an issue with the series as a whole that they call perfectly reasonable statements "bluffs," or otherwise imply that the defense has to bluff when the prosecution has catastrophic holes in their case.  But that'd apply to every attorney.

* For the spoilery comments on case 2, not much to say but yup.  Well.  Blood elsewhere on the stage wouldn't rule out the prostitution's final theory of the crime - that Trucy did it after the dragon fell - but point.  The larger issue, as usual, is how exactly are you THAT sure this is a killing blow?  Getting stabbed with a sword is not necessarily instant death, especially if it hits off-center, and surviving even 2 minutes would be enough to make it quite obvious what really happened!  But as usual, this part of the plan went perfectly, and I'm sort of okay with it because our opponent is just THAT good or something, sure, whatever.

Mistree, yeah, mentioned that in my spoiler comments already.  If he was willing to kill to get his revenge, why not just kill Trucy?  Killing his associate is hardcore.  Then again, Manfred von Karma inexplicably used his position as corrupt prosecutor to try to convict his adopted son, rather than quietly bury the charges, so you never know, people seem weirdly willing to throw away all the work they put into training someone up.

--
PW6: On Case 3 myself, got to the 2nd investigation. 

Huh, Nahayuta is the prosecutor again, except in Ku'rain with its Defense Culpability Act.  I can only imagine the conversation when he next visits Japanifornia and gets to explain to Edgeworth how he totally killed Phoenix.  Or tried to kill him, at least.

--
Speaking of Case 3s...

AAI2: Finished Case 3.  I liked it, but yeah, it's a bit of a trainwreck.  Less so than AAI2 Case 2, but still one.  There's a few hanging plot threads so I can't entirely pass judgment yet, but there's an equal measure of cool ideas and people doing strange & illogical things.

Main nitpicks:
* As usual for a PW, the game is way, way, WAY too soft on people who mess with crime scenes (Hall), and also people who have bizarre Nemesis murderous plots but against the real bad guy so it's okay (uh, Hall again).  Dual Destinies mostly got it right: Aura Blackquill is still getting arrested, and heck, I'm pretty sure that she wasn't ACTUALLY going to release the killer robots.  She was at least in control of them!  Hall sets up a deadly trap of POISON GAS that could easily kill just about anyone.  What is some curious kid tries to open the case?  What if the real killer brings along an unwitting helper and asks for their help in opening the case?  What if others enter the room afterward?  Hell, if she simply lay in wait for someone to tamper with it via a video camera or something, then ran into the room with a gun once she saw somebody open it, that would make more sense - she could at least aim the gun, right?  The fact she chose such an indiscriminate and dangerous way to dispatch the target - who was not even guaranteed to be the Real Killer - makes her a villain, p. much.  Sorry Ray, but I hope you lose if you defend her, for all that I can't imagine what kind of defense is possible here.

* On the note above, I'd love it if a PW case involved a totally innocent person with no enemies being the victim, and untangling what happened showing that somebody had set up some similar crazy Nemesis trap, but it'd gone off on the wrong person.  Lots of complicated stuff & plot-twists to follow, but also accurately shows the general result of this kind of trap, that it's not gonna work the way you want it to work.

* For that matter, something doesn't add up here.  Either the body in the sculpture Hall is displaying is something that alarms the Real Killer and would force them to head back and deal with it (assuming it was really the same one...  and not just a reproduction...  which is probably the safer guess since who on earth woudl have thought that nobody would bother cleaning the freezer in 18 years if they even knew Hall hat stolen it, which most people didn't), or the body is of no account because the PERFECT CRIME has already been committed and the statute of limitations has run out anyway (to the killer's knowledge).  Gustavia coming to deal with the sculpture suggests the former, Gustavia confessing and laughing suggests the latter.

* Wait.  So there were two rock salt lanterns, and Hoquet/Dover bashes Gustavia with one, then Gustavia bashes back, and one gets stashed in Delicia's room then moved, and the other...  gets mixed in with a Lyre?!  Is that a thing that can even happen?  You can't just mix a bloody lantern into your edibile sculpture!  (Reminder: edible sculpture that was ACTUALLY EATEN by Delicia without noticing much strange other than its saltiness.)

* We got robbed by not getting to go to court vs. von Karma!  Also, I get that Manfred is corrupt, but hiding the lack of existence of a body is really next level.  I can see that working if the defense DOESN'T know, but if they do know, can't they just demand proof that the victim is actually dead?  Can't have a murder trial with no victim!  "He used every dirty trick in the book" is awfully vague, especially when Ray claims they proved Masters innocent (wut?  No you didn't, for all that this is partially because way too much is unknown.).  I'd think an easier excuse for defeat, knowing the quirks of the PW law system, is that Gregory Edgeworthy couldn't directly pin the crime on someone else, so the judge fell back to blame the first person the police grabbed.

* This is a real minor nitpick, but yeesh, Hoquet must have been a real dick if Gustavia's testimony is true.  Wasn't Hoquet a world-renowned sculptor?  That means you don't need to blackmail people anymore, you dingbat, you must already be rich!  Especially a 2nd-tier chef with no design sense over something not especially scandalous (just buy the freaking cure, problem solved).  Of course, PW's understanding of pharmacy work seems similar to its understanding of the Gramareye legacy: that knowing how to make it is a big deal.  Uh, the FDA is not gonna approve your treatment if you don't tell them how it works, rather than saying "just trust us."

* I guess I still don't know what Courtney's deal is, but it takes some extreme hard-headedness to not think Masters might deserve a new trial.  This is unfortunately realistic (plenty of real-American DAs have been reluctant to order new trials despite compelling new evidence arising, even evidence as compelling as "someone else confessed"), but it makes her a straight-up villain, which I'm still not sure if that's what the plot wants to say.  The Goddess of Law's judgments might be absolute, but they can also be misinterpreted...

In the realm of positive nitpicks:
* I did think the fact that most of the chefs at the world's greatest competition being frauds was weirdly hilarious, and the characters seemed to react appropriately that there's a random pharmacist pretending to be a baker there and the like. 

* More Manfred!  But why not even more?  The short, useless testimomny + bald-faced lies were great.

* More Laurice!  Complete with him jibing Edgeworth about being surprised at his interest in the "portrait of beauties."

* Badd was fun too, but WTF at not giving Kay any lines on this.  Badd was part of the Yatagarasu, you'd think she'd have something to say, or hell, even loop her directly into the plot somehow so she isn't a complete tag-along by having her somehow follow-up on what Badd knew/had.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 02:27:15 AM by SnowFire »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: September 26, 2016, 03:02:03 AM »
-I've started case 3 now and Rayfa being 14 makes a lot of sense. I just didn't think she looked anything close when I first saw her and chalked it up to "Ace Attorney makes a female character several years younger than she should be / she looks for reasonz" mark 72.

-The weird jarring stop-and-start wasn't just happening with the metal, though!

But yeah, I'd argue it's more an issue with the series as a whole that they call perfectly reasonable statements "bluffs," or otherwise imply that the defense has to bluff when the prosecution has catastrophic holes in their case.  But that'd apply to every attorney.

I'd absolutely agree, but it definitely feels worse in this game than most (Dual Destinies also), which is weird because, well, we saw progressively less of it in the original trilogy as Phoenix got better and better! Forget going backwards from Apollo Justice, it feels like he's reverted to AA1 at times. And characters talking him down with "oh ho that Phoenix always lucking his way out of trouble" makes negative sense when Phoenix seems to win pretty much every case. People remember results; if anything other characters should be overstating Phoenix's ability as an attorney by now!

But y'know what after seeing way too many games these days which love to pump the tires of the player avatar character at every available opportunity I guess I shouldn't complain when a game errs too far in the opposite direction.

Re AAI2-3, yeah I basically agree with your comments. Like you, I enjoyed that case, but it's very zany and definitely defies belief.

* On the note above, I'd love it if a PW case involved a totally innocent person with no enemies being the victim, and untangling what happened showing that somebody had set up some similar crazy Nemesis trap, but it'd gone off on the wrong person.  Lots of complicated stuff & plot-twists to follow, but also accurately shows the general result of this kind of trap, that it's not gonna work the way you want it to work.

* I'd think an easier excuse for defeat, knowing the quirks of the PW law system, is that Gregory Edgeworthy couldn't directly pin the crime on someone else, so the judge fell back to blame the first person the police grabbed.

For the first point, 2-3 pretty much is that! Not as elaborate and not quite the same in that the person killed wasn't totally random, just the wrong target, but very much the same idea.

For the second point... I agree, but Phoenix Wright exists in this weird universe where they sometimes don't seem to want to acknowledge the (incredibly unjust) fact that the first accused is assumed guilty by default. In 6-3, Phoenix actually said that in his home country, people are presumed innocent until proven guilty! Crazy.

Maybe.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: September 26, 2016, 11:20:06 AM »
I just finished Case 4, and am very confused both by its placing in the game and how it handles Athena. don't have time for a proper writeup, but am interested in how you all feel about it when you're done. It also felt like a case that must have been a major pain to localize.

So far, my opinion has been that Cases 1 and 2 were fairly mediocre and Case 3 was pretty good, basically echoing what a lot of the comments here have said.

I don't think the puns could possibly get any worse at this point. Game, please don't prove me wrong...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 11:22:50 AM by jsh357 »

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: September 26, 2016, 03:19:38 PM »
FFBE:  This new event is crazy good.  Already got 5 star quartz and a screamroot.  Also pulled Charlotte today.  I am blessed with tanks.  I've pulled all of them recently except Amarant.

Tried Brachiosaur, did not go well.  He Snorted Kefka out of the battle, and I wasn't prepared for his statuses.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: September 26, 2016, 04:41:08 PM »
I just finished Case 4, and am very confused both by its placing in the game and how it handles Athena. don't have time for a proper writeup, but am interested in how you all feel about it when you're done. It also felt like a case that must have been a major pain to localize.

So far, my opinion has been that Cases 1 and 2 were fairly mediocre and Case 3 was pretty good, basically echoing what a lot of the comments here have said.

I don't think the puns could possibly get any worse at this point. Game, please don't prove me wrong...

Based on it's structure and who you play as, I feel like Case 4 was originally written to be Case 1.  It's a total filler trial built around a less experienced attorney, and it has no investigation whatsoever.   Yeah, 3-4 did this too, but 3-4 was actually plot relevant, and 5-4 did as well but 5-4 was a lot of set up for plot relevant stuff later. 

I think what happened was it was going to be the tutorial case, but they decided to go with "introduce Khur'ain early" and work in a lot of the introductory stuff there, given Phoenix impulsively jumps into the trial instead of plans on it ahead of time like others.  At the same time, they probably already had done too much work on 6-4 to just drop it entirely, so they just tossed it in as an excuse for a fun little case that is filler.  PW regularly has it's token filler cases after-all (usually it's case 3, though AA5 it was the DLC case), since not EVERY case has to be related in some way, nor does it have to be meaningful in a grander context.

If we assume 6-4 was the original concept for 6-1, it suddenly explains a lot about it's structure, and they probably just upped the difficulty to be more fitting for a 4th trial as opposed to a first (it's not a HARD case, but definitely harder than the first cases of other games.)

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: September 26, 2016, 05:06:14 PM »
FFBE: Apparnetly Lightning can in fact strike twice!

...for Kier, not for me. Fucker drew two lightnings in two days. Wheras I blew 8 rare summon tickets(and the daily draw for a few days in a row ofc) and got...uh...Rydia and Charlotte at 3 star for things I didn't already have. Mostly I got extra copies of Fran and Sabin. <_>

Got caught off guard by the boss in the new town, since I had just finished doing vortex with my B team that I'm leveling up and was going to swap back to A team at the prompt to select team when going into the next dungeon! Which you don't get when going into a town. Thankfully no stamina lost, just got beat.

DQ7r: I want a fourth party member dammit. Just finished off the Sunken Shrine area and the Golden Goddess Statue area. Sunken Shrine had a difficulty spike that caught me off guard, though I did manage to beat the boss try one(it was close though). Hero is using Thief/Shepherd/Sailor, eventually going into Pirate and Montser Masher. Maribel is building for Druid, has Mage/Priest mastered and is in Troubadour now. And Ruff is going for Champion, has Warrior/Martial Artist mastered and is in Priest currently(and still my best phys offense).
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: September 28, 2016, 04:11:34 AM »
FF14: 3.4 Dropped today, so did the Main Storyline!

Surprised they finished the Warriors of Darkness storyline so quickly, but then it was an angle I wasn't looking forward to, so nice they wrapped it up quickly.  Also got all the main crew back together, albeit getting Papalymo/Yda felt a bit forced.  Alisaie actually showing up and finally being plot relevant is nice too, and they actually worked in some character development, even giving her a stylish Action Girl Pose moment where she pulls a sword out of her Grimoire and goes all "yeah, I'm a Gladiator, NOT an Arcanist, by the way!" and proceeds to show actual competence at that.  Plus they gave her a new outfit, so now she's distinguishable from her brother, albeit, I prefer the older outfit if only because the coloring on the new one feels off (light tan doesn't really work.)
She also managed to do more in the like half hour worth of cutscenes she gets than Minfillia did in the entirety of 2.X. 

...and they're finally doing something with Urianger too!  Yeah, they kind of did something with him in 3.3 during the Warring Triad storyline, but being relevant in Main Storyline beyond "That Scion who just stands around and says something"?  SHOCK AND AWE!

...speaking of Scions who do nothing but talk, 3.4 only further establishes how awkward Y'shtola being the game's "Go to" rep is.  WHen all the Scions are reuniting she's not there and the big epic fight at the end, she's also notably absent, while the Llevilleur Twins, Thancred and Urianger are there, with Yda and Papalymo not far away.  It REALLY feels like she's the least relevant Scion despite being the first to re-appear in Heavensward (Alphinaud aside of course), and easily the least memorable of the bunch if it weren't for her constant usage in external content.  I know Shantotto isn't the best rep for FF11, but she's proven to be the most popular NPC, and stands out significantly more than "Catgirl who just says something sagely from time to time"; her role is even LESS meaningful since they introduced Krile who exists to do the exact same thing, but has a modicum of personality (...not a lot mind you, but there's some shades of one!)  Yeah, I know, just venting, but of the primary cast, she's easily the most boring character.

Alphinaud is basically the protagonist and thus gets the most screen-time.  Alisaie had only recently reappeared but made her precense very well known with some good moments, and they seem finally ready to make her a regular.  Thancred just oozes personality, and Yda/Papalymo are a fun little comedy duo of the ditz and the stoic.  Urianger...ok, he's boring but they did at least give something resembling plot.  Y'shtola...the most they've had is "WHAT YO'RE DOING CAN COST YOU YOUR LIFE!" with Matoya and they...almost downplay it and then never mention it again.  Heck, the fact that she's blind now is something that never comes up; it's basically the epitome of "A handicapped in name only."  You know, that penalty that the story says exists but never actually does anything with, but establishes to make it seem like there's something at stake?  Yeah, that.

Also, Alisaie's little stunt makes the direction they went with Minfillia's moveset in Record Keeper only MORE awkward especially considering the event she was released...

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1920 on: September 28, 2016, 09:03:55 AM »
PW6: Case 3 finished.

I think I'm going to echo Elf's thoughts about Case 2, except for Case 3: I was mostly liking it and had high hopes, but I really don't like how they ended it.  Negative sense this makes. 

At *best*, this is sympathetic characters acting TOTALLY CRAZY, kind of like 3-5.  Yes, it's a desperate situation, but seriously wut, was that the best plan you could come up with?  A lot of PW villains are, well, villains, so it's perfectly fitting that their evil attempt to frame someone else comes back to haunt them, and in fact indicts them.  For "sympathetic" killers...  this is less true.  The bizarre thing is that if anyone should know the details of how the Divine Seance works, the High Priest & his wife should be among them, so they should know that they've just committed the f***in' perfect crime in Kurain!  You killed someone who lived under an assumed name!  As far as the Royal Princess knows, Zeh'lot is *alive*!  Here's what you say: "It was weird!  Zeh'lot said he had important business to attend to, and ran off.  He didn't explain where he was going.  We got worried after he didn't come back for two days so we're reporting him missing."  If Rayfa bothers to channel him, he'll seem to be not even dead, so maybe he's escaped the country, or been captured by rebels, or something.  Definitely not our problem!  The game establishes very directly that few people have access to the Inner Sanctum, it's an honor for Phoenix to be there, blah blah blah, so the fact that some blood got in the water is not a big deal, and is surely something that can be cleaned up.  At worst, Maya sees something strange, and is told to shrug it off.  It's even more bizarre because this all messes up Datz's escape plan, too.  He was SUPPOSED to be Lady Kee'ra, so hell, drug Maya anyway and she's not a reliable witness, then tell her she must have been feeling sick and he found a replacement Lady Kee'ra.

Also, the whole idea that maybe Beh'leeb could have gotten off via claiming self-defense is ludicrous.  Zeh'lot was a member of the secret police in a dicatorship.  You're supposed to just surrender to him if you get caught being a rebel.  And if he tried to kill you, then you should have just accepted it and died, filthy rebel!  At absolute best, you'd get off on the crime of murder, and be immediately re-arrested on the crime of sedition.  It's not a winning scenario to fight this in court no matter how good your defense attorney is. 

Note that I said "at best" up there.  Well...  I'd just like to say that while wanting to protect your wife is commendable, framing an innocent is SUPER-EVIL.  Framing an innocent with whom you're friends with and have had as a guest for two years is..  okay, equally evil, but under traditional morality, even worse, because now it's a betrayal as well.  This is some ice cold shit!  If we presume for a moment that this murder MUST come out and the only choice is how, at least own it, and since you're a rebel, you can even own it in a pretty direct way.  Hand it off to different rebels who've been exposed, and merely say that "the rebellion" took out the false Lady Kee'ra, just don't say where!  Heck, can even do some political theatre by tossing the body into the town square or the like, although that risks making him a martyr.  Framing someone not involved in your political dispute in anyway is just yargh.

I do think this case needed at least 1 more character in it.  Yes, in general PW gets a pass for focusing on the characters that matter and not distracting you with TOO much background BS, but there needed to be a few legit red herrings outside the Inmee couple & their "kids."  It's only a shocking turnabout when it's superficially unexpected.  The suspect list was way too small here!  (Of course, since the suicide idea was so batshit bonkers, I was originally assuming that perhaps Beh'leeb had gone totally bananas and murdered her husband & son, or, after it became clear that she was a rebel and not a loyalist, that Inmee had been killed by a legit unknown third party.

I'd also like to point out that claiming Maya is Lady Kee'ra...  well...  Lady Kee'ra apparently has had several adventures in the papers, and you'd think that Maya might have alibis for some of them.  GRANTED her main source of said alibis might be lying their ass off, but it seems a really desperate thing to attempt, since it's quite possible that an earlier incident where Kee'ra was spotted, Maya would have an ironclad alibi outside the Inmee family.  On the other hand, it must have been totally obvious to the family that their Zeh'lot was a member of the secret police.  I'd have liked it if they'd had a few more lines acknowledging how weird that must have been for rebels to be sheltering a government agent and neverously wondering which of their friends would get attacked next.   Heck, that'd have given them plenty of motive for a "first-strike" kill on Zeh'lot anyway, no need for a dramatic revelation at the hideout.

Case 3 still gets a positive score overall, but sheesh, I'd rewrite the final revelations quite a bit.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: September 28, 2016, 03:35:23 PM »
Just finished case 3 as well, and that mostly sounds about right.

More details:

The good:

-The diviniation seances. I really like these, they're fun to figure out. So far I've found them relatively challenging in a good way. And they make a lot of sense in-setting, since they can make convictions look so ironclad. Bonus points for (a) Datz's line about how they're just another piece of evidence and should be used that way, which I was thinking well before this, and (b) characters purposefully trying to manipulate them. A logical extension!

-Rayfa. It's a bit slow coming but there's a pretty solidly-done face turn being done here. Rayfa has literally lived with the lawyer-hate her whole life but you can see how she's grappling with the morality of what she's doing. I liked her presence during investigations: yes, she's cruel and talks about wanting Phoenix to die a lot, but ultimately she's surprisingly helpful (translating things for Phoenix, informing him about things, rarely actually stopping him from doing anything that matters) and you can see how she's using it as an experience to broaden her horizons.

-The scene with the Inmees at the end is rather touching, even though I don't think Phoenix should agree... as mentioned trying to frame your friend/guest of the last two years is ice cold shit and it's hard to make it come across as sympathetic.

-As someone who is relatively neutral on Maya overall, I think they did a good job of translating her to a late twenty-something. She gets some wise/mature lines, but still has that mischievous Steel Samurai fan there. They definitely did a better job with her than with Pearl in Dual Destinies, IMO.

-Even though the reveals were pretty wack, Tahrust was pretty enjoyable on the stand. Not really a great "villain" in the traditional sense, but certainly memorable enough. I did like catching him on something he couldn't possibly know.

The bad:

-What the fuck was up with Datz's testimony? It was such a waste of time, that the writers turned around and told us what a waste of time it was as soon as it was done! Like Case 1 the first day was very much the pattern of "seance good, cross-examination sequences zzzzz". I get that they wanted to work in a reveal of a prisoner escaping here, but the writers should have found another way to do it. Or at least inject this way with a lot more humour than they did.

-Sahdmahdi remains blah as hell. Rayfa stealing many of the good prosecution lines during seances, and most of the "antagonist development" thus far makes him even worse.

-Phoenix really needs Apollo/Athena back, I think; I'm starting to think that post-trilogy Phoenix just doesn't work well on his own. His development is just... completely finished, I had hoped that this game putting him on his own would change that, but nope not really.

-So this case just wasn't very funny? I think Datz was supposed to play that role, but it didn't work for me. I think the stakes were a bit too high and the case was just too serious, but Ace Attorney has managed to slip better humour into such situations before.

Other:

-I'm very curious what was up with Beh'leeb's meeting with the queen.

Is case 3 positive overall for me? Well, sure. As per the spoiler'd comments there are certainly things to like about it. But... probably a below average case by PW standards. Too many things not done as well as they should be, and not enough humour.

This game is now in a bit of a dangerous zone for me; at this point I feel like it's going to be the worst save Apollo Justice, since there really isn't a single stellar case yet (which pretty much every other game has in its first three). Hopefully case 4 can turn it around (I'm optimistic, given the reviews here) and case 5 could be an effective epic conclusion to what they've set up, especially if they can increase the cast size and use the larger cast well.

Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: September 28, 2016, 10:18:09 PM »
Ace Attorney Investigations: Prosecutor’s Path - I started this up a few days ago, and now I've finished Case 3.

From the onset, the game is clearly setting a higher bar for challenge, having expected you to have played the previous game. That could be a reason that it was never localized.

Case 1 introduces us to the President of Zheng Fa, the patron country of toxic masculinity. Unshockingly, the case revolves around the consequences of toxic masculinity and the ensuing problems. Nicole Swift is a strictly improved version of Lotta. She isn't as rampantly self-serving and immoral and manages to even be sympathetic (while still having a reason to obstruct with the case ala Lotta). The final confrontation between Edgeworth and Knightley is very fun and tense, especially for a first case. I definitely yelled put "You bastard!" at one of the more clever villain twists. I really enjoyed him in general; he's just very stylish. Shelley's appearance in the case is a cute twist.

Case 2 is when you are introduced to a lot of the new recurring case characters, as is often the case in these games (although your old pals Kay and Gummy come back in case 1).

First we meet Ray, who pretty much needed to exist in the series at some point. I loved his line calling Edgeworth Manfred, it is a pretty sick burn, and pretty much everything he complains about with respect to Edgeworth is correct. Wait, you idolized Manfred von Karma?? Are you even serious, son.  He is in general a bit of an odd guy, especially his asking for hugs from young girls, but I like him. I also like that he calls himself Uncle Ray, because he's just that dorky. In case 3 there’s some great moments where Flashback Ray sings along with the pastry chefs and it’s just adorable and I love it.

Courtney on the other hand I have pretty much despised from the onset and my opinion has grown stronger on her as I have played through the second two cases. She is morally repugnant, propping up someone of massive incompetence (which there is obviously something else to, but still). She actively impedes justice by coming up with the most outlandish bullshit and sticking to it, and clearly doesn't give one flying fuck about anything related to fairness or anything.]The end of Case 3 made me just want to hurl projectiles at her, but that would destroy my laptop :p. Basically, she worked to keep an innocent man in prison because it would defy the judgment of the law rather than that it was just or sane. Most of the other antagonist rivals have a reason to act the way they do (even if it might be morally reprehensible, the reason of "I will do anything to win!" is better than her total non-reason to obstruct the truth). I'm still somewhat in wait and see mode since obviously her plot hasn't been touched on yet, but I will be surprised if it turns around my opinion. I have already yelled at my laptop too many times because of her. :D

Sebastian is a tool of course, since he seems to exist to be owned by every single person around him. There's some fun wordplay/mockery there though, and it works pretty well. I don’t have too much to say about him, but he works. I’m interested in seeing what is up with him and Courtney.

Case 2 is a bit of a mixed bag, but overall a positive. It is occasionally a little too dragged out compared to what it needed to be, but I like the fact that there are several logical suspects to the crime and you legitimately aren't sure what to think. I liked the appearances of both Regina and Frank and that both played an important role in the case. I actually really liked Frank's role - spoiler alert, Frank's still a dick. Actually, you end up feeling legitimately sorry for the killer in this case, since she is primarily doing something that is sensible considering her shitty situation, and she was trying really hard to make the prisoner’s lives better before all the shit hit the fan.

Case 3 is an emotional rollercoaster of a case that I was lukewarm about at first but that I loved by the conclusion. I think the gravity of the unjustness of the legal system in the PWverse really hits you hard in this case, as both Jeff Masters and Katherine Hall's lives are ruined by the lying and cheating of the prosecution office. Jeff Masters' resilience and ability to be happy under the weight of the frame job after 18 years in prison actually brought tears to my eyes at the end of the case when he cries. The extra tie-in with Gregory/Miles at the end (with Ray in his office with the two photos) was also just super sad.

Playing as Gregory is quite enjoyable; you can see both the similarities and differences between him and Miles. Although you know the conclusion of the case in the past, I still felt like it was pretty fun to play through. But the present case has all the people we know and love, including Larry (!) and thus is more general fun. Also, Miles vs. old ladies part 10? is always entertaining.

One scene that I thought was particularly impactful was the scene between Katherine and Jeff in the detention centre in the past where Jeff tells her to not revolve her whole being around what makes him happy, since he will be imprisoned, and you get to see the genuine love between those two characters. The platonic bond between two people who care and love each other is beautiful.

So far I’m really liking this game. I’m ready to see what Case 4 holds. :)
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: September 28, 2016, 10:56:59 PM »
It's a really cool game!  And the general consensus, which I certainly agree with, is that the best is yet to come.  I will be interested to see whether your opinions on Courtney and Sebastian change by the end.

The best part about Gregory is his animation when he's surprised, how he grabs his hat and flashes this little smile.  It's so awesome.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: September 28, 2016, 11:08:40 PM »
Persona 5 - Yeah at freely selecting the skills to carry over when doing fusion. Yeah at the return of the demon conversation. Yeah at much better written character and dialogue.
But blargh at the silent main. Can they stop doing this already?

The Sun coop is great, simply great! Why can't every coop be like this one!