Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 122082 times)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #1925 on: September 28, 2016, 11:32:09 PM »
It's a really cool game!  And the general consensus, which I certainly agree with, is that the best is yet to come.

That's definitely not the general consensus I've seen...

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: September 29, 2016, 10:17:44 AM »
Darkest Dungeon Vita: yay it's here finally
This game has a pretty terrible UI here but I guess you just need to get used to it. No slowdown or any other performance issues so far, which is great.
I had missed that loop of Tension -> Overconfidence -> Death -> Hopelessness -> Repeat

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: September 29, 2016, 02:01:48 PM »
Pokemon Black 2: Got to some filler town that I believe was aftergame in Black 1 and is completely unmemorable other than it being literally a bridge.

I finally found a semi-interesting Water type I haven't used in Mantine, when I ran into a Mantyke (and caught a Remoraid right after), so hey, why not use that?  Certainly solves the issue of using crap like Psyduck!

...then I run into a Buizel.  Never used that either, so decide to drop Matine in favor of Buizel...who evolved into Floatzel one level later.  Ok BW2, you do have a fair number of water types (I ran into Staryu earlier as well, but used Starmie plenty so...), they're just all backloaded...just like in Gen 1...still beats Unova mk1 where if you didn't choose Oshawott, you basically had only Fossil Turtle and Land Frog as your only remotely usable Water types in game.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: September 29, 2016, 03:25:38 PM »
Phoenix Wright: Puns of Justice

I completely lost it at Paul Atishon.  Anyways, decent entry but suffers from terrible pacing issues.  Case 4 sounds like something cut from Dual Destinies and another excuse to use Athena's gimmick.  Going from Case 3 to filler then to Case 5 is jarring and feels like Case 3 and 4 should have swapped places.  Or just cut Case 4 altogether or make a bonus case like 1-5. 

Apollo still never ate his hamburgers.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: September 29, 2016, 09:20:31 PM »
Phoenix Wright: Double D's

I played this!  It's pretty good.

Case 1: ok so the game started out pretty weak other than Shonen Time-skip Apollo and his manly, manly feels.  Intro for Athena felt kinda meh.  I like Athena as a character, but as an introduction to her the case was pretty blah.

Case 2: everyone knows there are remote Japanese villages in the suburbs of LA. anyway, character designs were AWESOME and the case was a ton of fun...until it came to the final trial, which, to put it mildly, struggled under the weight of its convoluted setup.  When a PW game feels the need to engage in lampshading (Phoenix mentions at trial that a plot this needlessly convoluted could only come from a nut like the defendant) you know you're in trouble.  Also spoilers there are no spoilers.

Case 3: wow has the PW series seriously gone this long before having a case at a school?  weird.  Anyway, solid dramatic plot all around, middling case, FANTASTIC defendant - the chalkboard had me doubled over laughing - aaaaaaaaand boy was that a dumb conclusion.  Oh well.

Case 4/5: were good, more strong character designs - Yuri Cosmos in particular with the Macross/Space Battleship Yamato vibe.  (Blackquill's sister's Gatchaman look was good too, but they didn't do much with it).  Loved the tweeeeest that landed Athena as defendant - you think you've got something going with the exculpatory evidence, and you do! and it just gets flipped over on you.  Excellent.  The villain...was competent, and carefully done, but ultimately not very compelling.  He just never gives you a really good reason to hate him, and he folds pretty quickly in the face of the evidence.  They did everything right in terms of setting him up but the finale is just kinda there.  Maybe if he hadn't been one of the least likeable characters recurring in the cases to start with, his betrayal would have hit a bit harder...

DLC case: was pretty good! perfectly competent, doesn't reveal the killer too early, characters were god but ultimately not as strong as a lot of the maingame cast, I feel.  Unlike a lot of other cases, the evidence holds up all the way through, with a sensible if unspectacular ending.  I really liked how they played the orca straight and gave it all the communications skills of...an orca.

Other thoughts:

- Feels like they borrowed some visual elements from Danganronpa (which came out first, right?) with the psych evals and the putting-it-all-together segments.  Those both worked very well.

- About time the series stopped being so stingy about penalties.  Also text-skipping! welcome to the 21st century PW!

- Great music.  Objectively the best of the series?

- Apollo feels more pointless than ever before.  Phoenix's gold chain is pro, and I liked him having a little confidence in his experience.

- After AAI2, I noted a distinct decrease in the number of times a scene was int--HOLD IT!! and someone shows up with new, exciting, *decisive* evidence.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: September 30, 2016, 07:22:48 AM »
Phoenix Wright: Spirit of Justice

So I beat Case 4. It was pretty cool, though weird. I kinda expect a wide range of opinions on this one, not surprised to see Cmdr/Meeple put it as the top case in the game. It's between 2 and 4 for me so far, I suppose, both have their strengths and weaknesses.

The good:

Easily the best-done murder plot in the game so far. 1's is dull and simple, 2's and 3's completely push my sense of disbelief, 4 is in that sweet spot which feels more in line with the original trilogy. It's a convoluted plan to pull apart, but still within the generous bounds of reality.

PW trial gameplay > PW investigation gameplay, as always. I feel like the series is breaking "the rules" to have a case this big without investigation, but y'know all the stuff comes out pretty organically (and honestly if you're paying attention, most of the "investigation" details are leaked in either Simon's initial testimony or the picture of the victim's room.

Uendo is terrific. Those animations/personalities, so good. Geiru's pretty good too, though not a top-tier killer by any means. (Not too sure where the "balloon" jokes fall on the good-taste-o-meter but I'll admit I cracked a smile when Athena convinced the judge to resummon her with that...) When the characters on the stand are actually fun to have there, the case benefits.

How good was the bit where Athena loses faith in her client towards the end? I bought it. Once you realise Bucky has the bandage there, woof, it's a hard hole to climb out of.

Simon is terrific here, he plays a new role and he's great at it. Man I love having two lawyers behind the bench again, this is really missing in the Khu'rain cases. I really, really hope case 5 brings Athena/Apollo there. (Apollo's a safe bet, at least.)

The bad:

Shut up about Japanese food, seriously. I feel like I had more trouble with some of the case than I was supposed to because I have no idea what soba is, and generally the Japanese-only stuff made this case rather weird. I definitely had a pretty negative reaction at first until I could really sink my teeth into the case.

Athena's development kinda goes into reverse, just like Phoenix's! I'm ambivalent about this. On the other hand, this is what, her second full trial ever? So honestly it's fair to say she was too competent in 5-3, and this makes a bit more sense. A few early bits were a bit cringe-worthy though some of that is chalked up to how she is given zero time to prepare, so it kinda feels like Phoenix in 2-1. Those moments generally got fewer / more reasonable as the case went on, though.

Bucky was lame. I'm sorry I have a hard time wanting to psych myself up to defend someone who calls me "Miz Chickadee" and vomits drunkenly every few lines.

The "you got drunk and that brings out the fourth personality!" line of attack is something the defence just randomly latches onto and it works because the writers say so? That felt a bit out there.

Worst "putting it all together" sequence in the seven cases that have used them? UDON NOODLES VERSUS SOBA NOODLES but we'd... already figured that out? okay. I remember thinking they should have used this a bit earlier instead of first making me make the deduction and then doing the red-line thingy about the same subject.

This is a minor detail, but I was pretty disappointed that Geiru had a bandage. I was hoping for a clever turnabout where Athena identified a facial feature which could hide a wound... i.e. her nose balloon. Always a little disappointing when I the player thinks of something more clever than the actual game does.

Clearly Japanifornia > Khu'rain, even though I like some aspects of Khu'rain.

Maybe.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: September 30, 2016, 11:54:21 AM »
FFBE:  Overlapping events is not cool Gumi.  Running total for the previous event is 22 Star Quartz, 6 Screamroot, 18 Burst Pots.  Going to keep running that today because that seems to be more productive than FFT event.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1932 on: October 01, 2016, 02:27:51 AM »
Atelier Totori- fin.  Got the Rorona ending.  Unlocked the Devil fight but after a test run concluded that wasn't happening; lopped off around a third of his HP, then he summoned backup and started to regen.  Nope.

Totori getting hyped as the best of the Atelier games makes perfect sense to me.  I'm not sure I agree (I love me Mana Khemia) but in terms of executing the freeform, faff about and explore and synthesize style of game?  Totori has a great balance.  You're never really forced to do much of anything, and there's only a couple of checkpoints you have to worry about.  But there's always a pretty damn clear trail of breadcrumbs pointing your towards interesting stuff to do.  And they do a great job of baking the directionless nature an Atelier game has to allow into what Totori's actually doing; we want to find mom!  But she disappeared years ago and we have no idea why so... well we'll just have to look!  And doing anything normal will get you interactions that point you in the right direction.  And the checkpoints they do have in there are very generous and fairly infrequent. 

And then basically you build a boat from 50 old logs, a pile of tar and a dolphin statue.

I will say that the lost village really needed to be a warp point and otherwise set up shop there.  The travel times at sea are so long it pretty strongly discourages you from spending real time out there.  Some boss designs seem needlessly hard as well but that could be me  not finding or correctly using certain recipes, it's hard to tell exactly.  Like, if there's such a thing as MT healing anywhere in there that'd be a big deal.

Still, I feel like in terms of gameplay pacing and the mix of narrative focus and faffing this is what Ayesha was aiming for.  And if it had hit that mark a game with Ayesha's music, atmosphere, and emotional weight would have been pretty easily the best game Gust has ever done.  As is it's still fun as hell though.  8/10
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 02:33:36 AM by Cmdr_King »
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: October 01, 2016, 09:58:00 PM »
FFBE: FFT event is...neat, but the rewards seem to take a whole lot of the special resource thing and you don't seem to get much of it easily. Not really up for super grinding it out over and over and over. Bleh.

DQ7r: well I have 4 party members....then lost maribel and gained a new person who is not really that great. I don't feel liek I've done any real grinding(I've grinded out a job level...twice? and an actual level once?) but when Ser Mervyn and Aishe came in they were well below even Ruff for levels. Alas. Paladin is an amazing class, Monster Masher is also great. Feeling like leaving MM for Pirate is a legit step down for my main.

Currently at Buccanham, which seems to be the last colored tablet area. But I have some additional Mysterious Fragments laying around, so...??? About 50 hours into the game, feels like I'm prolly 3/4ths done? Solid game, definitely holding my attention.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: October 01, 2016, 11:17:24 PM »
AA6 case 5, day 1 - This is pretty much a distinct case (at least as much as Dual Destinies' fourth and fifth cases are) so sure I'll talk about it now.

Short form: really bad start, then gets quite good, though of course the final verdict is very much still tied into how the parts of the case I haven't gotten to yet go.

There is so much wrong with the early parts of this case.

-How the hell did Are'bal and Dhurke get out of Khu'rain? They're literally the most wanted criminals in the country, they can't just waltz into an airport or across a land border and through another country's customs! This isn't a deal-breaker but good lord, I would really have appreciated nods to some sort of crazy escape plan.
-What on earth was the point of that spelunking arc? It felt like an extremely drawn out excuse to have Dhurke save Apollo's life and... prove he cares about his son? I dunno, I felt existing dialog had done a good enough job of that already. This wasted so much time.
-Speaking of wasting time, fingerprinting in this game is awful.
-The Apollo/Phoenix shounen showdown just made me shake my head. I figured that the best-case explanation would be... well, what we actually got, that there was a hostage situation identical to 2-4.
-Tangenting for a moment, but let me get this straight: Maya is in two cases in this game and is damselfied in both. *facepalm* I'm reminded why I didn't really miss her.
-Athena was totally absent from the investigation because... she was stupid and got lost going to the airport? Does whoever wrote this game just have a thing for making Athena look incompetent or something, I don't even know any more.

But having said that, I can't come away disliking this case, and this mostly owes to how much I enjoyed Atishan and Sarge. For Atishan... maybe it's the election season and all, but I really, really enjoyed this take-down of populist politicians. It's a low-hanging fruit but the writers still strike the ball out of the park with him. So many good jokes involving his total non-answers and turning everything into self-aggrandizement, he's actually a fairly big pain to get useful information out of at times, although the final "uhhh let me change my description of events three times in as many sentences" obviously underwhelmed a bit. He also should have raised 1000% more fuss when Apollo proposed burning "his" artifact... if the artifact's ownership is in dispute due to Archie being a thief, I don't think Armie has the right to (potentially) destroy it!

Bigger talk: I doubt he's the murderer (he never confessed to it which killers always do in AA-land, and I dunno, just doesn't seem the type), I rather suspect that someone (Inga?) was also in America, since it's apparently so easy to get into quietly, and did it. Doesn't really matter that much, though, since the fingerprints pointing to a third, non-Datz party would be equally damning for him anyhow. This third party may also have pushed Apollo/Datz in the caves, though for what purpose I still can't imagine, this is definitely the major hanging mystery going into part 2.

As for Sarge, well, the drone is absolutely priceless (especially the animations, like that mustache-stroking one) and has great/hilarious interactions with the party. But getting to know the child underneath was a good time, too. I realise that I really do like the mood matrix sequences; sure they're basically magic, but they're pretty fun to puzzle through and often reveal neat character-driven stuff. Armie herself is, as Athena notes, completely adorable. Ace Attorney continues to bat an excellent percentage with child (pre-HS) characters.

That said as much fun as those two characters are, the trial itself is kinda vaguely there, you don't actually find out too much of note about the murder (mostly proving its location/method). It's all tied up in a bit of wait-and-see right now I guess.

Also literally right at the start of case, we see Dhurke tell Apollo that Trucy would make excellent bride material. I... I...

Maybe.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1935 on: October 01, 2016, 11:34:26 PM »
I could have sworn that Paul admits to pushing Apollo and Dhurke? Unless you think they were lying, of course.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: October 02, 2016, 12:07:26 AM »
Finished AA6. Overall, while I did enjoy the game, I'd place it as one of the lesser entries. I don't feel moved to purchase the DLC, but maybe later. This was the first of the games I liked Apollo in a lot, but a lot of the other characters felt like they were sidelined or unimportant. I'm guessing this game was initially conceived as Apollo Justice 2, but they decided to make it seem like Phoenix was the main character again. I was disappointed that Athena only got one trial and didn't show a lot of growth from the previous game. I really hope she gets more cases dedicated to her in the next game!

I enjoyed Case 5 far more than the rest of the game, even the first half which was a breath of fresh air to me, with the reservation that all of the cases in general feel too convoluted and in some cases I couldn't fathom how the villains managed to plan everything out. Not that this is new to Ace Attorney. I got sick of Datz in a hurry, and didn't care for a lot of the new additions to the cast in a vacuum, but they were okay overall as a collective.

I would rank 6-5 with the best of the series, 6-3 in the middle of the pack, and the rest as mediocre but not outright bad. Still hyped for 7 whenever it comes.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: October 02, 2016, 12:45:49 AM »
I could have sworn that Paul admits to pushing Apollo and Dhurke? Unless you think they were lying, of course.

Dhurke accuses him of it and he smiles smugly inresponse, so maybe...?

But it doesn't make much sense for him to be there or shove them or... yeah I'll withhold judgement for now but if he did it it doesn't make much sense.

Maybe.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: October 02, 2016, 08:29:30 AM »
SO5:  RELIA HAS A RESERVE RUSH.  If everyone in the party dies except her, she automatically uses a Reserve Rush.  Full party revival and freezes the enemies, then she conks out until you rest at an inn.  Rare that this situation occurs because she's so squishy she tends to die first.  Very cool little easter egg.

FFBE:  Ugh I don't like FFT event.  I can kill everything in one turn on Elite level with Blizzaga chaining, but if you don't kill them in one turn they wreck you with damage and status.  So basically I have to pay attention and not autobattle which is annoying.  Gonna make the Chirajiden and try and get enough mats to 6* Warrior of Light and that's probably it.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: October 02, 2016, 11:13:09 PM »
Ace Attorney 6 - Beat. Last case was fun! Not the best ever but cases 4 and 5 definitely helped me leave the game with a positive impression, which was in some danger before then. Overall it's still one of the weaker AA games but I'm satisfied / still on the hype train for the series / etc.

Maybe.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: October 03, 2016, 08:31:45 PM »
Persona 5 - I am glad that I pick up the Kaguya DLC. A super good healer with a top class light offense spell while having phy reflect? My, the first half of the game has been really none-stressful thanks to her.

The new Psy element also made status a better option now, for it hits harder on a statused enemy. Charm also works wonder as usual. Mid bosses pretty much just SPLAT before it.

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: October 04, 2016, 03:50:35 AM »
Persona 5 has paid DLC for super personas?  Can't say I'm suprised.

AA6 DLC:

Fun for Phoenix/Maya/Edgeworth banter (it's basically a AA fanservice case) but the actual chapter itself was extremely predictable and the real killer as well. I kind of knew that there was two receptions, but couldn't figure out why.  The best twist is finding out that the whole company was in on covering up a murder.  When the killer went crazy though he was best part of the case IMO.

I think the problem with the game, and really shows in AA6 DLC, is that there's not enough cross examinations or witnesses in general.  Too many "press every statement" to move the plot along. 

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: October 04, 2016, 09:29:00 PM »
Persona 5 has paid DLC for super personas?  Can't say I'm suprised.

And it is super cheap, 300 yen only.

Persona 5 - The coop is so good this time. Why are the dungeons so long? I don't want to do it! I want to focus on coop!

Oh, Ryuji's Instant Kill from his coop lv.7 is a god sent! Best random killer ever! My traveling time in Mementos and Palace is shortened significantly!

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: October 04, 2016, 11:54:31 PM »
And it is super cheap, 300 yen only.

THAT'S NOT THE POINT

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: October 05, 2016, 12:54:12 AM »
That's why you must purchase PS3 version so you can hack it out with cheat codes without paying!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: October 06, 2016, 06:38:17 PM »
Persona 5 - They need to do more story arcs like the Futaba arc. The shadow is evil and lets beat them up direction is honestly getting old.
We need more shadows like Shadow Futaba who actually is the voice of reason.

Too bad it seems this is the only story arc in P5 that handles things this way.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: October 06, 2016, 11:33:30 PM »
FFBE:  Pulled Bartz from the 250 lapis pull this morning.  Now I know what it's like to be Snow in FFRK with constant good luck.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: October 06, 2016, 11:45:01 PM »
do not to murder everyone pls
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: October 07, 2016, 01:38:51 AM »
Ace Attorney 6 - Final thoughts, at least before digging out the DLC.

Let's start with 6-5 part 2, which uh yeah really should have been a separate case from part 1.

The "Dhurke is dead plot" twist was great. It explains a lot of stuff and was emotionally impactful. Apollo's reaction was good stuff. Bonus points for addressing my concern with how the hell Dhurke got on an international flight, although it does make Inga's threats to Phoenix in day 1 weird. And doesn't explain Are'bal, but I think we're just not supposed to think about Are'bal.

The case made pretty good use of spirit channeling. I like spirit channeling because of the possibilities it makes me consider, for all that I know not everyone does. Once I realised that there were 2-3 spirit channelers I knew it was going to be a good time untangling what happened, and indeed it was. Seances were, once again, fun.

Amara had a great presence on the stand but her role in the plot is stupidly underused. There isn't a scene with her and Rayfa in the ending, what. I also think both she and Nahyuta come across as weak-willed for how easily they let Ga'ran manipulate them, even when it's becoming clear they have a chance to take her down. The whole "sins of the father" thing does make this work a bit better than it did with Lana Skye, but it's still not very satisfying. Also man, Nahyuta, that's it? That's why motivates you? What an underwhelming character. I did kinda like that they made him a depressive (the "let it go" commentary takes on a new meaning once you figure out his motivation) but that's really not enough.

Ga'ran! So fun fact, did anyone else notice that this is literally the first time in the series we've had a final confrontation with a woman? Dahlia was the main villain of AA3, but the game chose to end with a dick-measuring contest between Godot and Phoenix instead. Franziska and Courtney were the main rivals of AA2 and AAI2, but were shoved into non-confrontational roles at the end of their games. So I'm kinda glad that this game ended that particular questionable streak.

Ga'ran was pretty good, for all that I think she would have been better without the Seymouresque transformation (funny though it is). In general I think the new games go a bit too far with making a lot of their villain designs. It's extra weird because AA6 wants you to believe Amara might be the killer too, and it would be a lot more believable if Ga'ran wasn't wearing a big purple neon sign saying "final boss". That complaint aside... she's got good stage presence and really throws her weight around in court. I love when you accuse her of setting the fire 23 years ago and she's all "whatever, you're not proving it". The re-writing laws was pretty good too, for all that she does flirt with the "too strong a villain" thing where you have to wonder why they don't just call off the whole trial earlier, but I guess appearances are important. Would have liked it if the game sold me on it a bit more, but it's fine. So she's a solid, memorable final opponent, maybe not up there with the very best but certainly quite good even so and way better than Kristoph Gavin (or Gant if he counts), and a better prosecutorial foe than Nahyuta was.

Oh man there are a bunch of plot holes in this case. Most of them don't ultimately MATTER but yeah this is definitely one of those cases where you probably shouldn't think about the specifics too hard even if untangling it was fun. It reminds me a lot of 3-5 in a lot of ways, both its good and bad points.

Also to tie into my part 1 comments, I guess Atishon was a murderer after all? Weird that he didn't confess. And him being in the caves makes negative sense; if he was going to go all the way up there, why didn't he try to get the founder's orb? That scene is dumb. Day 1 investigation of this case is still stupid.

To speak about the game more broadly, hmm. Well, case ranking, first of all: 6-5 > 6-4 > 6-2 >> 6-3 >> 6-1. The first three are average to well above, if none in the all-time favourite bracket; the other two are kinda weak but not terrible.

It's one of the weaker Ace Attorney games, despite having three cases which are at least pretty good (2/4/5). I think a lot of that has to do with the cast.

The returning main cast isn't handled that well, I don't think; Phoenix and Athena both take strange steps back as characters, Apollo fares better but there's nothing as interesting about him as his doubts in Dual Destinies (his relationships with his father and brother are supposed to be that, but not adequately fleshed out, especially the latter). Maya is criminally underused, and I say that as someone who isn't even a big fan. Trucy probably fares the best and that's just one case!

The new main castmembers... well, Nahyuta isn't handled too well as per previous rants. Rayfa is certainly better; I thought she was pretty good (her sense of morality manages to shine through even as much as she talks big about enjoying thoughts of player characters being executed) and we see her develop a fair bit. But that's basically it, and 1/2 isn't really enough. Ace Attorney usually bats better. Case-specific characters are solid, though (except cases 1 and 3, but hey there's a reason those cases are weaker). So it's the opposite of Apollo Justice or something.

For new mechanics: seances are excellent (a fun way to find contradictions which still involves thinking about the case), fingerprinting terrible (I know it's not new, but the engine is, and it makes an already bad mechanic worse). I'm less of a fan of the decision to make investigations into larger blocks; they get pretty long and boring sometimes. I already consider the biggest disadvantage of the AA games compared to the Edgeworth spinoffs the way they divide investigation from actually interesting gameplay, this game arguably makes it worse.

7/10 or so? A step back from Dual Destinies and it's in the conversation for second worst game in the series, but all the games in that conversation are pretty good to me, so this isn't an insult.

Maybe.