imageRegister

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 122390 times)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #2075 on: November 15, 2016, 06:38:16 AM »
Could be worse, could be the FF9 LLGs that do things like max Zidane's Thievery, which would be miserable in a normal run, and I can only imagine what kind of madness takes hold doing it at really low level.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: November 15, 2016, 07:17:46 AM »
FFBE - So I ground up Black Cat Lid to 5*17...  Hex Strike is as good as avertised.

However, part of the problem with A Champion Ablaze still is that without an OP RW, I just don't have the offense to take down the first few fights before they just blow me up.  Still, getting to grind levels on Hero of Fire is nice.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: November 15, 2016, 11:53:39 AM »
Orcs Must Die 2- So I play this a lot. Been playing with a 2x Orc Mob mod, which is as nasty as it sounds. I have five skulled every level with this mod on. Hardest levels to clear were The Hive/Chilled Cavern/Finale. The Hive... wasn't all that much harder than it was normally, just had to use Gabriella and control the Kobolds. Still was nasty.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: November 15, 2016, 01:23:09 PM »
Stardew Valley - This made me not want to nail my hands to my desk.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

MasterLemon

• N. Sane
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Discord where me and my brother whine about movies!
« Reply #2079 on: November 15, 2016, 04:18:46 PM »
You can take on some arena fights before the Omega Ruins (Chimerageist, Stratoavis at minimum) but I'd save most for after. The Dark Aeons are generally stronger than arena monsters, though Nemesis is stronger than most of them.

Get the Saturn Sigil whenever you feel like it.

Thanks for the tips. I already beaten Stratoavis, by accident, so I just need to worry about one of them before Omega Ruins. I think I'll get the Saturn Sigil as the first thing due to how it doesn't require any serious battling.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: November 15, 2016, 09:14:38 PM »
Final Fantasy Brave Exvius - What do you do with these rare summon tickets, I've been using them but not sure if I'm supposed to save them up? I haven't collected many units yet but I have 4* Fran, 4* Tilith, 3* Shantotto, Fran, Locke, Kain, Edgar, Shadow, and an Ingus which was fused with another Ingus, also a 1* from my first summon, and some Brave Frontier random, as well as the two default guys. I went into the farplane, beat Vargas and the fire lady,  saw dialogue from characters not even in my party yet, and was obliterated by a scary dragon ~
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: November 15, 2016, 10:08:29 PM »
It doesn't hurt to use your summon tickets now since you're just starting to pad your roster.  Otherwise save them for a banner with characters you actually like.  The FF3 banner right now is one of the best we'll see for awhile so it wouldn't hurt to use tickets on it.

With what you listed, I'd focus on Shantotto, Locke, Edgar, Ingus, and Tilith.  You should be able to clear most content with that team once you level it.

Should we split out Exvius discussion into its own topic?  I don't know if we're annoying people with Exvius talk,  but not a lot else being discussed.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2082 on: November 16, 2016, 12:47:05 AM »
We could repurpose the RK thread into a general smart phone gaming thread?

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: November 16, 2016, 01:15:49 AM »
We could repurpose the RK thread into a general smart phone gaming thread?

I live there now and I say no go away

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: November 16, 2016, 01:25:24 AM »
Should we split out Exvius discussion into its own topic?  I don't know if we're annoying people with Exvius talk,  but not a lot else being discussed.

As someone who doesn't play it, I think you probably should.  It's not annoying per se, but the volume of it makes other games tough to pick out.  Not a huge deal either way.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2085 on: November 16, 2016, 05:30:35 AM »
Exvius and Record Keeper seem to be played by an almost identical list of people and are almost identically uninteresting to someone who doesn't play either, so it'd probably make more sense to combine those two if anything (and make this thread have even fewer posts!) but it's not a big deal to me either way.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: November 16, 2016, 08:02:36 AM »
I think I have an idea of what I'm doing now, but it's still somewhat difficult.

First order of business, decide who's going in my main party.  WoL fills my Tank quota with Golem, on top of having Full Break himself.  Tilith is kind of nutty for defensive buffs, while Refia gets ALL the healing.  Three Bartz means I have an army of Barrage users, while Elza and Delita also demand spots in.  Locke swaps in sometimes for when I need to grind items, and dear god I have too many characters that have viable arguments for my battle slots.  I want to say WW Fina loses to Refia except in the most borderline of situations, and if I ever plan on doing a serious arena team, then...  Well, that's when my five Kriles come into play, right?  Either that, or a bunch of Shantottos.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: November 16, 2016, 01:29:02 PM »
Exist Archive: Finished that and went into the postgame.

I was having immense trouble lategame, bosses had "lolyoudiekthx" moves or completely OP counters. I then remembered that I had the possibility of sending people off forever, another thing lifted from VP. You get stat boosts from it. I sent everybody off but the main team, the main team got super ripped and it was smooth sailing until the final boss.

Final boss was super powerful, but I could abuse the game's systems to get an easy win. Unlike VP you have some sort of action bar shared between each character, and each action costs a few action points, and any character can act until the action bar is depleted. In VP terms this means that Bow Lenneth can steal Llewelyn and Jun and Badrach's actions and act 4 times in one turn instead. Even if they're dead.
Also using an item doesn't cost a turn, it costs basically one VP magic point. This means each character can use one once per round.

So yeah this is all very easily abusable.
The final boss ultra murdered all my characters but the naginata user, and then she soloed it EZ by using one healing item every turn and mindlessly attacking otherwise

And using one character to attack instead of trying to chain shit intelligently was unfortunately by far the best course of action for literally 100% of the game. Have I mentioned that the one character on the feont also gets a big attack  boost compared to the others? Very JRPG. A lot of mechanics thrown together with no real balance, just mechanics on top of mechanics with no thought behind it.

The postgame is honestly a travesty compared to the usual wonders of the Tri-Ace JRPGs. Where is all the crazy shit? I got a new character who's pretty good at doing ST damage, and more boring encounters. I think I'm done

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: November 16, 2016, 05:48:16 PM »
I then remembered that I had the possibility of sending people off forever, another thing lifted from VP. You get stat boosts from it.

Unlike VP you have some sort of action bar shared between each character, and each action costs a few action points, and any character can act until the action bar is depleted. In VP terms this means that Bow Lenneth can steal Llewelyn and Jun and Badrach's actions and act 4 times in one turn instead. Even if they're dead.
Also using an item doesn't cost a turn, it costs basically one VP magic point.

Sounds almost exactly like VP2! I forget if you played that but yeah everything you described applies to it too and it can be exploited in exactly the same ways.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
« Reply #2089 on: November 16, 2016, 06:18:56 PM »
Final Fantasy X: I am now inside Sin and have just beaten Seymour. The fight was as simple as Grand Summoning Anima and nuking him with a single Oblivion. A far cry from Seymour Flux where I decided to resort to Mixing Wings to Discovery with Rikku due to the difficulty of the fight. An aspect I enjoyed about Seymour looking back was that he was a hateable prick throughout the entire game despite how easy it would've been to play the sympathetic card due to his backstory.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: November 16, 2016, 09:11:52 PM »
Oh yeah, I played VP2 but only once and don't remember it all that well?

I stat topic'd the Seraphic Gate dogs.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: November 16, 2016, 09:19:08 PM »
I stat topic'd the Seraphic Gate dogs.

user Fenrir once again making only quality life decisions.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: November 16, 2016, 09:41:57 PM »
Exist Archive: Finished that and went into the postgame.

Why are you ranting on and on about the gameplay when you could have discussed what a fair lady Xenobia is. Fenrir, I am disappointed in you.

And for post game dungeon? You get to have scrapped version of MC and his girl later on.
At the end of the post game you get to fight Yamatoga.

Oh, hopefully you didn't send the Wind Mage back to Earth.
That's the worse thing you can do outside going for the Evil God route.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: November 16, 2016, 11:13:30 PM »
Final Fantasy X: I am now inside Sin and have just beaten Seymour. The fight was as simple as Grand Summoning Anima and nuking him with a single Oblivion. A far cry from Seymour Flux where I decided to resort to Mixing Wings to Discovery with Rikku due to the difficulty of the fight. An aspect I enjoyed about Seymour looking back was that he was a hateable prick throughout the entire game despite how easy it would've been to play the sympathetic card due to his backstory.

Wait, there's a proper way to fight Seymour Omnis that ISN'T Grand Summoning Anima?

And yeah, I definitely agree with you about Seymour.  They kept him iredeemably evil, and even when they throw the sob-backstory at you through his mother, she even goes "No, don't pity him; he made really bad decisions and he needs to pay for it."  It's what makes him actually work as a villain.  The sympathy card would have ruined him because after a point, a character's actions undermine the "feel bad for him!"  In Seymour's case, he's unapologetic-ally evil to the end. 

It cannot be stressed enough that sometimes, just making your character pure evil because he's an amoral bastard is the right way to go.  You don't always need deep rooted motives or anything.  I'll grant Seymour was a result of being persecuted because of his halfbreed nature, but FF10 does also go "but that excuse only goes so far, and he's well past that point!"   

To be clear, I'm not bashing sympathetic villains as a whole, just saying sometimes it's better to keep your character "no, he's just evil."
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
« Reply #2094 on: November 17, 2016, 12:39:56 AM »
It cannot be stressed enough that sometimes, just making your character pure evil because he's an amoral bastard is the right way to go.  You don't always need deep rooted motives or anything.

An example of a villain who completely failed at having deep rooted motives for me was Mithos in Tales of Symphonia. Mithos' motives were so deep rooted that he murders the one minions who is actually loyal to him for uttering his name because "only my sister and friends are allowed to call me that". Also, "MY SISTER SAID THE ELVES SHOULDN'T LEFT DERRIS-KHARLAN! THAT MEANS SHE WANTS ME TO GO TO DERRIS-KHARLAN WITH HER!"

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: November 17, 2016, 10:10:56 PM »
yes, Mithos is definitely an example of something like that.  FF10 and ToS often get compared to one another for a number of reasons  Yeah, there are differences (spawning mostly from the differences in Yuna vs. Colette, in terms of how they react mostly), and while Seymour isn't the main villain, he's definitely someone comparable to Mithos.

Both are half-breeds who become major leading figures in their respective worlds (Mithos more so by becoming a LEGENDARY HERO!) that are actually bad guys in the grand scheme of things.  Difference is of course that Seymour is played up as just evil, while Mithos they play up sympathetic.  The "waaah persecuted!" angle really doesn't work so well when you're basically gotten everything you want and STILL try to dick over the world.  Seymour and Mithos are both in this position...but Seymour the game never tries to apologize for (if anything, it's Seymour's mother the game urges us to forgive for everything that happened), while Mithos the game goes "awww, he had a hard life, feel bad for him :(!"

...ok, I guess more accurately, Mithos is a combination of Seymour and Yunalesca, but again, Yunalesca is not someone we're suppose to feel bad for, so even in that regard, Mithos falls apart.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
« Reply #2096 on: November 17, 2016, 10:36:39 PM »
yes, Mithos is definitely an example of something like that.  FF10 and ToS often get compared to one another for a number of reasons  Yeah, there are differences (spawning mostly from the differences in Yuna vs. Colette, in terms of how they react mostly), and while Seymour isn't the main villain, he's definitely someone comparable to Mithos.

I would also go on about how Colette is so much worse about Yuna, but I think I'll save you all the trouble. All I'll say on the matter is that Yuna doesn't trip in order for deus ex machinas to occur.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: November 17, 2016, 11:04:20 PM »
Not to be the ToS defender here, but I wouldn't call Mithos getting mad at his subordinates for petty things a problem.  He is a villain, after all.  Villains can make mistakes.  And...  while ToS wants more sympathy for Mithos than perhaps deserved, it does have some sense that Mithos is a genuine bad guy.  I dunno, I can think of lots of worse JRPGs so it's not letting ToS off the hook, but I think ToS was going for more "villain with understandable motivation" while FFX was thinking more "villain with sympathetic backstory who has since gone more crazy."  Plenty of games with villains who are objectively crazypants evil whom the heroes "let off the hook" and talk about how nice they are, unfortunately.  At least ToS has the sense to let Mithos do some genuinely heroic things in the course of the game rather than just entirely say "oh by the way he's a hero despite everything he does being evil."

The problem with Mithos is that his motivation doesn't make tons of sense, and the narrative doesn't cover this by going "yes he is being irrational here."  Mithos basically has two things:
A) Weird Japanese sister obsession, trying to revive his dead sister even if it involves doing bizarre shit like dividing worlds.  Sure.
B) Defeat racism by creating a world of lifeless beings = code for magic robots basically.  (Shades of FE6 Zephiel or TotA Van.)  This is more "Japan sucks" societal commentary I assume.

The problem is that these twin motives undercut each other.  If Mithos and his forces are so godlike as to try and solve A - which involves massive influence on world governments, their own private army, etc. - then B seems like a piddly concern.  If B is the main concern, then why is Mithos taking his eyes off the prize by worrying about Martel?  And then the narrative gets too stuck on this for the last quarter of the game or so, where it basically stops throwing any new twists, or at least good twists.  We get it.

I think ToS COULD have made it work better, it just didn't.  For example, if they own Mithos's power from A, they could have done an exploration for how despite having ultimate magic power, Mithos can't stomp out racism.  Have some sort of failed-Superman thing where Mithos always shows up too late to save some half-elf in peril, and he can execute the perpetrators horribly, but it doesn't stick, and this drives Mithos even crazier, which causes him to think reviving Martel will do the trick instead.  Alternatively, just focus on B, make the half-elves more authentically oppressed and Mithos's organization more like terrorists than a shadow government, and power down Mithos some.  If you want his sister's soul lying in a crystal in the background as tragic backstory, fine, but mostly skip out on the revival plot this time, and focus on Mithos's goal to stop racism with replacing everyone with lifeless beings or whatever.  And make up for less magical power & influence by having him fight dirty instead.

MasterLemon

• N. Sane
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Discord where me and my brother whine about movies!
« Reply #2098 on: November 17, 2016, 11:21:53 PM »
Both are half-breeds who become major leading figures in their respective worlds (Mithos more so by becoming a LEGENDARY HERO!) that are actually bad guys in the grand scheme of things.  Difference is of course that Seymour is played up as just evil, while Mithos they play up sympathetic.  The "waaah persecuted!" angle really doesn't work so well when you're basically gotten everything you want and STILL try to dick over the world.  Seymour and Mithos are both in this position...but Seymour the game never tries to apologize for (if anything, it's Seymour's mother the game urges us to forgive for everything that happened), while Mithos the game goes "awww, he had a hard life, feel bad for him :(!"

Don't get me started on that retarded special character which is Mithos. When I first saw Seymour and learnt that he was a Guado, I thought to myself that he would be this overly privileged twat who would play the sympathetic card like Mithos (I played ToS before FFX). Thankfully though, I found myself growing to enjoy Seymour. He was aware of how big of a prick he was to point where it led to some amusing moments, particularly at Bevelle. Mithos is just a colossal and creepy moron. I would go on about him but you and Brit have already hammered the point home.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: November 18, 2016, 12:02:46 AM »
Not to be the ToS defender here, but here is all the reasons ToS is trash garbage.

And yeah they are both RPG Villain reads Der Wille zur Macht and embraces Utilitariansim as a character.  Mithos goes with the Darwinist approach to it, so is the root cause for the cycle of pain and suffering in his world (in an attempt to revive his sister for reasons).  Seymour just goes with the "If there is no suffering then that is a net gain in positive outcomes" extreme of utilitarianism in a setting where there demonstrably is an external force consistently causing the pain and suffering.

Seymour is more internally consistent and "correct". 

Before Djinn comes in to defend his previous.  Who's outfit are you more likely to wear, Mithos' Disco Leisure Suit or Seymour's Happy Trail Kimono?
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.