Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 122466 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #2125 on: November 21, 2016, 11:52:24 AM »
Pokémon Sun - I got it to play while I wait for Internet at new place.

Hyrule Warriors - but I am playing this instead.  Linkle s great but I can't bear a map with her and Midna.  I keep auto losing at the last checkpoint.   I took too long or something?   Gate opens.  Zelda flees and I lose intantly.  ???????
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: November 21, 2016, 07:12:02 PM »
Pokemon sun

Started with water

Got to the point where I can trade mons, gave water to the missus.

Started over.  Re-rolled dandy owl. Named him Oliver.

Oh yeah.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
« Reply #2127 on: November 21, 2016, 07:58:22 PM »
Xenoblade Chronicles X: Completed Chapter 8. This chapter reminds me of the Mechon attack in Colony 9 back in the original Xenoblade, though not quite as good due to the game's weaker writing. Regardless, Chapter 8 has some highlights such as Elma's attitude towards Ryyz in order to get her to retreat and the dialogue option to have Irina friend zone Gwin. In terms of gameplay, the boss during the chapter would have been much tougher if my Lailah Skell wasn't packing Pheonix Wings and G-Buster.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: November 22, 2016, 12:05:38 AM »
Pokemon Sun - Up to the third island, whose name I can't remember. Current team is Dartrix, Magnemite, Mudbray, Araquinid, Salandit, and a pickup/cannon fodder Meowth.

A somewhat overlevelled starter managed to steamroll through the first two totems and a fully evolved Araquinid OHKO'd the third thanks to Water Bubble being a stupidly powerful ability, but the Grass totem gave me huge problems despite a fairly anti-Grass team lineup. Toughest fight thus far for me, followed by... the recent Hau fight where he evolved his Pikachu into an Alolan Raichu that had Psychic. Ouch, that hurt. By contrast, both Island Kahunas have been pushovers thus far.

Poke rides replacing HMs is a godsend for the series. On the other hand, wild Pokemon calling for help is a pain in the ass when I'm trying to catch stuff, although I just found out that apparantly they won't do that if statused out. Welp, looks like I'm going to be stuck with Magnemite in my party for a while.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: November 22, 2016, 01:09:16 AM »
Hyrule Warriors - maps are frustrating when you are waiting for plot triggers and the game ain't signaling them well.   The linkle Map i should apparently have Midna protect Zelda?  On the last hero side plot battle in Legend "Capture keeps x2" flashing and highlighting while they are captured and you are constantly fighting off buffed Dinoflas = Lana needs to go south and I sure hope you didn't direct her st all otherwise lol GET ALL Keep x2  is all I will tell you.

Pokeguys -  Water starter.  Has Adamant.  Might restart.  Trash nature for it.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2130 on: November 22, 2016, 01:48:33 AM »
No Pokemans, but I upgraded my PC, so been doing PC gaming.  Stupidly grandiose historical PC gaming!

Crusader Kings 2 - Now that I can run more than 80 or so years along without crashing, I've decided to do a Petty Kingdom of Wessex run.  The biggest issue facing my line is twofold, first is that most of my folks don't seem to be capable of living very long.  It is not uncommon for my dudes to not see their 30th birthday, and 40 is rare.  The nice thing is, if they make it that long, they're probably gonna gun for their late 60's.  Of course, this leads to the other problem.  My line runs heavily towards girls.  I once had the joy of dealing with a -20 cumulative modifier for having a Duchess with a female heir.

Run started off pretty standard.  Get a claim on Hwicce so that I can swallow up that duchy and claim the third bit De Jure if Mercia ever looks weak.  Then move over into the lesser areas of Kent, Essex, and East Anglia.  Of course, as this is going on, marriage ties and religious squabbling leads to getting a respectable chunk of Wales, including Powys and Deheubarth.  Sadly, it's not all sunshine and rainbows.  One marriage attempting to bring the Duchy of Upper Lorraine into my holdings led to a problem when the Duchess of UL gets assassinated by some Flemish person.  This means that my heir goes down there and when his time to shine happens, he brings three horrible things with him.  First, he's German, not properly Anglo-Saxon like any respectable person.  Second, he's decided he likes being under the King of France, and holds on to his leige.  Third, he replaces the kick-ass inheritance law of Primogeniture with fricking Gavelkind.  Bastard.

Fortunately, the Gavelkind doesn't actually matter too much since the lack of children I'm facing means that there's only one time that my holdings get split.  And five years after that happens, the primary heir dies childless, reuniting the holdings.  Also fortunately, the granddaughter of the surviving brother is Judith of England.  Now, sadly, Charlemagne's Empire, this time, didn't split.  So by the time Judith starts her rule, she's under the Emperor of Francia, who seems to be happily trying to grab and crush all the Kingdom titles under him.  Judith instead is the one who manages to get the upper hand on Mercia, and forms the Kingdoms of England and Wales.  While there's still some resistance from the Mercians, Northumbria accepts her rule.  Her Great-Grandaughter Aegwyth the Great, manages to finish up the job, forming the crown of Ireland, and being part of a successful faction demanding independence from Francia.  While she doesn't quite finish the job, her son Gryth then moves north into Scotland, and manages to take enough to claim the title Emperor of Britannia.  All by 1024 AD.

And that's where it stands, and will stand for a while because...

Civ 6 - Got this, played a game as the Romans under Trajan.  Definitely feels like there's a lot more room for more civs, or even for civs to have more than one ruler.  But that's for future expansions.  While there's a lot of new features, I'm digging the card-customization for the governments, and the past governments influencing the abilities of future ones.  Also feel like I'm just now starting to figure out how the districts are supposed to be working.  Though I do like the added interactivity between the map and cities.

It's also weird, but I feel like I'm noticing the affects of Trajan more now that I'm finished playing him than I did while I played him.  Roads aren't super trivial to build now that they're not a worker function anymore (also, now that workers are limited use resources) but instead are built by trade routes.  But the All Roads Lead to Rome thing connecting every new city to Rome if it's close enough is subtle, but powerful.  Same with Trajan's master builder trait which just gives every city a free monument, so they have great culture growth with minimal effort.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: November 22, 2016, 02:33:24 PM »
Pokemon Moon: Up to Ula'ula island, just beat the first Totem there.

Totems give somewhat more interesting challenge than Gym Leaders on average.  Pokemon is somewhat more challenging when there's one well built high level threat than having a whole team of modest ones.  I think back to the hardest non-champion fights, and usually it's a result of one terror on the team, with the other Pokemon just kind of there to wear you down a bit.  This applies doubly so for random trainers, as the ones with a single high level Pokemon tend to be somewhat more threatening than those that throw 3 or 4 Pokemon at you, if only because of the levels.

So...Totem Pokemon capitalizes on this, making a single high level Pokemon, boosts it stats because "Totem" and then gets a stat buff on top of that.  This leads to a legitimate threat.

Team:

So yeah, full Gen 7 team now.  It's a pity I take this stance because I keep thinking my options are limited but then go "no, wait, they WOULDN'T be limited if I let myself use anything!" so I submit that's my fault.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: November 23, 2016, 09:04:01 AM »
Pokefun - Team Skull are the greatest villains the series has had, which is saying a bunch because I think I had been saying that since like Black/White.

I seriously wish it would just be these two goofs the entire game.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: November 23, 2016, 03:40:16 PM »

Grunt A, at very least, tends to re-appear at semi-regular intervals; if it's not the same guy, it's an identical clone at very least.

That said...

Pokemon Moon: I have caught

Nothing more needs to be said.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: November 23, 2016, 03:48:17 PM »
Pokemon Sun: Two more trials down. The electric one was trivialized by a freshly evolved Mudsdale, but the ghost totem was insanely scary for a Pokemon boss. I actually won on the first try, but only due to some major hax, including a turn one Scald burn and multiple timely full paralyzes.

I knew from the datamine that several Pokemon got added to the auto-weather roster, but I did not expect to see wild Drought Torkoals and Drizzle Pellipers midgame. Holy crap, an in-game weather team is actually viable without needing a lategame uber or Dream World or 1% encounter rate nonsense. That's something I should consider for replays down the line.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 03:51:47 PM by hinode »

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: November 23, 2016, 04:08:57 PM »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: November 23, 2016, 04:25:25 PM »
I was half expecting this.

Hyrule Warriors - went full tilt dying on Gannon's first map.  I didn't remember raging so hard at this until Adventure maps(where the dint take damage/need to A rank maps is super shithouse).

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
« Reply #2137 on: November 23, 2016, 06:10:01 PM »

Grunt A, at very least, tends to re-appear at semi-regular intervals; if it's not the same guy, it's an identical clone at very least.

That said...

Pokemon Moon: I have caught

Nothing more needs to be said.

I'm so going to use one of these when I play the game. I'm still waiting for my copy to come through the mail.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: November 23, 2016, 11:17:28 PM »
Ys: Oath in Felghana nightmare difficulty: beat.  Was hard, also awesome.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: November 24, 2016, 01:40:39 AM »
Sun:  my kid surprised me with a copy of this.  Haven't played much, but I picked Smug Owl in the tradition of Smug Grass Starters.

Overwatch:  kid got this on PS4.  I'm getting fairly decent with Roadhog and Lucio.  Had some early success with Reaper, but as I started facing stronger opponents I couldn't get anything accomplished with him.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: November 24, 2016, 02:44:14 AM »
As a bad myself, Roadhog and Lucio were the two I gravitated too first as well.  Reaper is fine I guess but I am liking Sombra now for the same kind of hit and fade that plays way quicker at the trade of less burst damage and less durability alone.  Before Sombra hit I pretty much was doing McCree as the DPS when I was doing it, but prefer being Tank (as Reinhardt) or support.   Where I started with Lucio I pretty much now rotate through Ana and Mercy as well.  Best personal results as Mercy but that is my bits of time in TF2 paying off since Mercy is more mobile Medic with more flex on Line of Sight to heal.

Have you given Zarya a spin yet?

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: November 24, 2016, 04:51:19 AM »
Fuck you, FFRK post.

Any of you guys who used to play but quit wanna let me use your account so I can play multiplayer with the other crackheads hanging out in the crack house?

OW:

Lucio is great, I don't like Roadhog all that much though Junkrat translates from TF2 Demoman well enough, and Tracer/Sombra fit my preferred playstyle pretty well.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: November 24, 2016, 07:30:08 AM »
Roadhog is mostly standout for PUGs where coordination is low so you can be a bit self efficient and tanky enough to get away with it (and team too dumb to get in your shields and Rein<3).  Helps to enjoy Flak cannon in UT or Shotgun in Q3.

But seriously pick Support first if you can in PUGs if you are any good at it, so you don't sit there at 50% health on the point while Ana scopes at a wall.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: November 24, 2016, 02:12:52 PM »

I'm not sure "smug" fits Rowlett.  Dartrix, sure, but Rowlett feels more that kid whose mother won't let him go to school without her wiping his face, making sure his bow-tie is on perfect, etc.  The one likely to go "MOOOOM! You're embarrassing me in front of my friends!" 

Pokemon Moon: Decided to use Zygarde 10%, since it's stats are similar to a Fully Evolved Pokemon, and that form is a Gen 7 Pokemon, and it's not too broken, I figure why not for now?  Got lucky with the nature, getting a -SpA one too.  A little disappointed since it's movepool is basically Ground move + Brick Break, and I haven't gotten Thousand Arrows yet so any Flying type is a huge problem.

Anyway, just finished Ula'ula island.  Plot just got real.  For better or worse, Pokemon Moon's plot feels more like a traditional jRPG in style, to the point where Trials almost feel like they get in the way.  I get why Trials are there of course; this is Pokemon, and while they clearly don't want bring back Gyms (or else they'd be back), they wanted something to fill that void and be creative with.  Not that there's anything wrong with Trials, it just feels like we do have the usual Pokemon problem of two completely unrelated events going on.  Almost feels like they should let you finish the trials first, and then drop the big plot dump.  The fact that the big plot stuff just occurred and I still have Poni Island to go to...I dunno, maybe they'll put Trials on complete hold for a while.

It is nice that the Legendaries this time around seem to be the SOLUTION to the problem, not the cause of it.  I also like the reversal of Type: Null's backstory compared to Mewtwo.  No, they weren't simply trying to CLONE THE GREATEST POKEMON, they were actually trying to create a Legendary-level Pokemon to combat a potential threat.  Also seems the experiment was just a failure in the sense of "meh, it didn't work out" rather than "OMG IT WENT BERSERK STOP IT NOW!"

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
« Reply #2144 on: November 24, 2016, 02:31:20 PM »

Pokemon Moon: Decided to use Zygarde 10%, since it's stats are similar to a Fully Evolved Pokemon, and that form is a Gen 7 Pokemon, and it's not too broken, I figure why not for now?  Got lucky with the nature, getting a -SpA one too.  A little disappointed since it's movepool is basically Ground move + Brick Break, and I haven't gotten Thousand Arrows yet so any Flying type is a huge problem.

Hate to sound nosey, but who is your team currently?

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2145 on: November 25, 2016, 05:13:38 AM »
Well, you'll find out in this very next update!

Pokemon Moon: Finished the last trial.  The last Kahuna fight was legit and demonstrated further why the Totem fights are generally more interesting challenges than standard gym leaders (which Kahunas basically are only with a one shot of massive damage), since 3 of their Pokemon, while not bad, were clearly way worse than the Anchor, which caused me a reset, and I ultimately built my entire strategy around taking down that specific one.  When it fell, the rest of the fight wasn't much.  Totem Fights, as I said, just sort of break Pokemon Boss Fights down to this very basic concept, being "Look there's one REALLY SUPER STRONG POKEMON you have to deal with" and focus on that (also the fact that it's 2v1 after turn 1 and OHKOing them is really damned hard without an opening Z-move hitting a W4...you get the idea.  Put another way, the last Totem I hit a W4 with STAB 95 Power from 90 SpA and it still survived with about 10% health.)

I also appreciate how it handled the last bit of trial stuff.  The game actually DID say "you know, Trials can wait, GO SAVE THE WORLD!" but incorporated the last Kahuna and Trial, with the Kahuna being all "Might as well test yo to see if you're ready for the difficulties ahead, we'll call this a grand trial and kill 2 birds with one stone!" and the last Trial was basically "The Totem is not going to let you through, might as well just beat this and get it over with."  Certainly better than, say, what BW1 did with "Team Plasma is still on the loose...clearly you should GO BEAT UP THE ELITE 4 BECAUSE THAT'S MORE IMPORTANT!"    What also helped thus far is that there really wasn't much of a threat until the later points, since Team Skull come off as more just nuisances and thugs rather than FULL ON TERRORIST ORGANIZATION.  Like yes, they're bad guys, but nothing the authorities can't deal with and their crimes are relatively petty in comparison to the prior organizations.  It's only once the plot goes into high gear "oh, there's more to it than that...we should probably focus ALL OUR EFFORTS ON STOPPING THEM!"  It's far more sensible plot progression than "The Terrorist Organization is at large but we're still making you get Gym Badges because...shut up."  As I said, these games seem to be doing their best to have a more traditional style plot progression by jRPG standards, in order to help break away from the established Pokemon formula.

Also holy crap, there's actual characters with motivations and character arcs in this.  I'll go into more details later!

And because it was requested...

Planning on using Lunala when I get it over the Toucan because while it is cheap using an Uber, I find I tend to do that my first playthrough of any region anyway, alongside with "stick to only Pokemon from that generation" when possible, so might as well follow suit (that and I could really use more special attackers, and I like Lunala, etc.)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: November 25, 2016, 07:19:19 AM »
Is there a Kahuna fight where the Kahuna uses 6 Kakunas?

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: November 25, 2016, 08:29:17 AM »
You will always be Lucio because no one else on your team will pick him for point control.  Give into the Brazilian beats.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: November 25, 2016, 08:43:46 AM »
Eh the recent nerfs to his HPS make it harder to handle burst damage (and assuming scrub leagues team mates that break LoS with the point :|). Ana gets some mileage out of reach, Heal over time and sleep isn't quite as perfect or easy to use as the book but it is still rad if you can do it (and will be broken immediately by Pharah's goddamned rockets because of course someone is Pharah)

LordDirtyBrit

• The British Whiner
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Twitter account
« Reply #2149 on: November 25, 2016, 10:05:48 AM »
And because it was requested...

Planning on using Lunala when I get it over the Toucan because while it is cheap using an Uber, I find I tend to do that my first playthrough of any region anyway, alongside with "stick to only Pokemon from that generation" when possible, so might as well follow suit (that and I could really use more special attackers, and I like Lunala, etc.)

This looks like a solid set up. Believe it or not, I have a similar plan only I'm using Wishiwashi and Skill Link Toucannon over Shiinotic and Zygarde 10%.