Author Topic: DLC3: Music Quiz  (Read 3232 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
DLC3: Music Quiz
« on: December 19, 2007, 01:41:31 AM »
Just C+Ping from the previous topic; if its in a quote box, its all old stuff!

Ok, so as you all know (if you don't, that's not my problem!) I made a big epic Music Quiz at DLC2, on request of those running the con, and well, it was meant to be a surprise.

...so why the hell am I publicizing the music quiz now? And why the hell would I make a topic about it?

Well, for starters, I am going to try something a little different this time!
For starters, the surprise factor...is kind of lost. It only works if its completely unexpected; do it once, and then people kind of expect it to happen, and well, yeah, kind of silly to keep it a secret and say "Surprise, Music Quiz!" at which point, everyone starts throwing stuff at people (which would probably be the Con Co-ordinators, and myself...even if I didn't make the quiz only cause apparently Meeple Season is everyday ;_; )

So what's going to be different?

Well, this time, YOU!!! will choose the songs! How the hell will this work, since doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of the quiz?

Well, basically, I'm going to set aside a certain number of songs (I'm thinking half, so somewhere around 30) that will be chosen from a pool of songs. What about the 30 or so I'm not caring about? Oh, those I'm choosing (or at request of the Con Co-ordinators) like I did last time, to keep a complete element of surprise, and so I can choose songs for specific malicious reasons (so yes, expect there to be some stab inducing ones! No, I am not naming a song or else people WILL start guessing them (or alternatively, will assume the song isn't on the list)...even if the song is dead obvious <_<)
So how can I keep this while making sure people don't know the 30 you get to choose?

Simple. You "sign up" perse, and then send me a list of songs. Say no less than 4 and no more than 6, like typical DL Nom Rules. Obviously, this would be done through PM since if a certain song (or game for that matter) keeps appearing and everyone can see it, they will expect it, and yeah...that kind of skew with the results some <_<;

Now, a few guidelines regarding these:
1. No Bonus Match worthy songs. IOWs, no remixes (unless they are simply arrangements of a song that are obviously the same thing, like Go Go Go! was for the original DLC Quiz), no obscure dummied songs like Singing Mountain from Chrono Trigger, what have you. Obscura...it depends, that's a case by case basis, etc.

2. Keep it to Video Games for the most part; it doesn't have to be RPGs, mind, even though a majority of the songs will be, so if you want to nominate Flash Man from Mega Man 2, feel free.

3. Ok, if you want to nom an Anime Song or two, be my guest, though please, do not go all out on these; I prefer to have, say, about 5 anime songs at most (excluding bonus matches). Why Anime? Cause they tend to go hand in hand with Video Games and its popular enough around here or something, etc.

4. One song per game. I will NOT choose 2 songs from the same game, so trying to insure, say, Live A Live gets in by taking up all your nom slots with that game won't work.

5. Not a strict rule, but I like to keep variety in the quiz, which is to say, I want to try and cover as many series as humanly possible (since you can only cover so many games.) So it wouldn't be wise to use all your nom slots up with something like this:
Boomerang Flash - Wild ARMs 1
Battle With Lord Blazer - Wild ARMs 2
Gun Metal Action - Wild ARMs 3
Murdering Princess - Wild ARMs ACF
Gunblaze - Wild ARMs 4
When the Heart Ignites - Wild ARMs 5
Notice how all those songs are from a Wild ARMs games, if different ones? Yeah, try NOT to do that. If you want to use a 2 or 3 slots up with the same series, cause you can't decide, yeah, that's fine; just don't go blowing all your slots off on the same series (granted, only some series are actually large enough to do that, but quiet!)
NOTE: All those songs were just random stuff chosen off the top of my head; they are not indicative of whether they will be on the quiz or not.

6. Please try to make sure the song wasn't used on the previous quiz. It shouldn't be THAT hard. Also, try to avoid overused songs from other quizes (note that if the song was used on a quiz in the past...that wasn't the DL Quiz, I'll probably not care...or more likely, I probably won't notice at all!)

7. I need to have access to the song in some manner. I can work with most music styles (though, Midis = Automatic no, should be for obvious reasons...ideally, something that sounds more or less like it did in game.) MP3s, just point out where I can find it (like if its at Blue Laguna, state so.) This isn't such a big deal with most Video Game tracks, though when it comes to the few anime songs that are likely going to be nommed, I might come into some trouble. As a simple rule, if you don't have the song in some manner, AND you don't know where its available, please don't nom it. I am not going to hunt for one song, so its likely I'll just overlook it.

Oh, for things like SPCs, GSFs, NSFs, PSFs, etc. (as in, exact rips from the games themselves in special format), if they exist, then note that, as I might just resort to getting those instead.

8. Noms should be PMed to me; people should not have a good idea of what is going to cover half the quiz, even if its a shakey one after all.

and lastly, the most important part...
FORMAT FOR SENDING ME THE SONG SUGGESTIONS!
...its really simple:

Name of Song - Game it comes from (where song can be accessed)

Ideally, if you think finding the song by name might be hard, or you simply don't know it, indicating WHICH song it is (like calling Fated Confrontation from Suikoden 4 "The Duel Theme" would be an example) works too...in fact, doing that can't ever hurt, really.

Ok, yeah, sorry if that seems restrictive, but wanted to lay down some guidelines. If I didn't, people would probably just all nom from the same like 4 games or something <_<;

Anyway, comments, questions, complaints, what have you, feel free to note them here. If you want to participate, note it here too!

Anyway, so far, here is who signed up:
1. Shale
2. OK
3, Elfboy
4. Tonfa
5. NotMiki
6. SirAlex
7. El-Cid
8. Metroid
9. Gate
10. Kilgamayan
11.  Excal
12. Lance
13. CmdrKing
14. Grefter

NOTE: Bolded Names means the person already sent in a list of songs to nom, in case you forgot whether you did or not.   And yes, you *CAN* send in a new list of songs (purely to replace the old one, not accepting 2 nom lists naturally <_<), or replace one if you want, etc.  Just be sure to notify me in some manner.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 06:38:19 PM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
Re: DLC3: Music Quiz
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 01:54:02 AM »
Signing up.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 04:17:23 AM »
I will contribute songness despite having no plans to go to the con! Yes.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 04:29:18 AM »
I have a really good idea for two songs, in that they're songs that when they come up I find myself checking the game and then saying "WHAT?"  (Well known plot points, too).  I'm sure I could probably fill up 4 noms if needed, but the last two noms would be a lot less awesome.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 04:56:49 PM »
I'll give you a couple of song, of course.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
  • Never feels any pain, never really dies
    • View Profile
    • This is the state to which I have been reduced.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 05:10:29 AM »

This.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 03:54:04 AM »
I'll sign up

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 05:44:52 AM »

This.

Also this.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 03:11:14 AM »
Thinking up a list as I type.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 12:46:25 AM »
Ok, just noting this but...

I have decided I am going to stop sign ups by April 2nd (I would make it April 1st, but then that's April Fools so...<_<)
Also, its about 2 weeks from now too.

Why this early?  Cause I want to start working on the Quiz by then, and want to get an idea of how many people have signed up, etc.

Note that this is purely for SIGNING UP.  You don't have to give me noms by then (though I will eventually set a deadline by then), just if your name isn't on the list in the first post by that date, then you can't nom songs.

Also, as a reminder, you have to sign up in this topic.  As in, tell me you want to do it here.  I am not simply accepting an IM out of nowhere with songs in it.  So if you want to participate, you MUST SIGN UP HERE.

If your name isn't on the list, I won't be accepting your noms (unless you have some overriding excuse like "I'm a con co-ordinator!" much like Hal and Alex had a say in what music was in the DLC2 Quiz...for all that only one of them actually cared enough to request stuff <.< (no offense to either of you!))

So...yeah; if you want in, just remember SIGN UP HERE FIRST.  And it must be done by 11:59 April 2nd Eastern.  This is purely for signing up; you can send in your noms later than that date, but...yeah.

If this sounds harsh...I'm sorry, but I do want to start working on the quiz, and I need to know exactly how many slots to leave open for noms and such.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 09:15:18 AM »
Yeah sure why not I will nom a bunch of stuff that will probably get knocked back, but whatever.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 05:01:12 AM »
Ok, I officially declare nom SIGN UPS...

CLOSED!

If you're name is NOT on that list, you cannot send in noms.  Yes, I will be checking the list and such.

Again, this is merely for signing up; if you're name is on the list and you haven't send in noms yet, you are still fine; I don't know when that Deadline will be (thinking sometime early June?), but yeah, if you aren't among the 14 people signed up, you can't nom songs...

(granted, nothing's stopping you from begging people to put songs in their nom lists but...uhhh...<.<)

Also, I might as well say this for fun:

Since 14 is a weird number, I have decided that I will choose someone at random and take 2 noms from them, so there's an even 15 songs I don't have to do!  No, I am not saying who this is, naturally, and yes, this will be done via Hatbot, so there's no bias or something.

but anyway, yeah, so those who DID sign up, and haven't sent in songs yet, now would be a good time to start thinking about them.
For those that did already send in songs? Good job, you don't have to do anything more (unless I specifically kick your for a song or something.  No, that doesn't necessarily mean its the song I'm using; I like to familiarize myself with songs before i choose one <_<)
For people who didn't sign up? Uhh...bunnies, yes, bunnies.

And yes, you can still ask general questions here and such.