Author Topic: What Games are You Playing 2018?  (Read 47863 times)

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are You Playing 2018?
« Reply #275 on: April 28, 2018, 02:03:25 PM »
Zelda: BotW

Finished.

I think this game has gotten sufficient praise for what it does. The sense of freedom with the open world and the beauty of the post-calamity Hyrule are both fantastic. The core concept of a failed knight traversing a world and jogging memories of a tragedy from a century before is a good one even if it doesn't capitalize on that to be a fantastic narrative. The characters that get introduced are likable enough. Zelda herself has an actual character developed/explored, so much so that Zelda herself is arguably the main character of what story there is. I loved hunting down the memories and was honestly a little sad there weren't more of them exploring things other than just Zelda's pre-calamity development.

Some of the game's designs didn't agree with me. Being able to instantly (even in combat or while climbing!) fully restore HP as many times as you want through cooking/eating was silly. The game could have used a tighter theme (maybe go with some character conflict involving letting go of the past?). The weapon system tends to encourage hording good weapons which is unfortunate and less fun then grabbing makeshift weapons in the middle of a battle to clear a fort. A few little improvements could have been made (jump button/run button being diametrically opposed was annoying as all hell). The Shrine combat trials were dull after the first two.

I keep thinking of ways the game could have been better to me but I still loved playing it. Even now, after finding all the shrines and doing almost everything, it is still fun to climb a mountain, survey the land below, paraglide down and examine something or start a fight with an enemy fort. It was a lot of fun to explore this giant Hyrule.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 09:53:01 PM by Pyro »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 28, 2018, 04:43:16 PM »
Rise of Tomb Raider - Beat this. It's more Tomb Raider (reboot). Gameplaywise it's pretty similar/probably slightly better if anything but I wasn't ever playing Tomb Raider for gameplay, it's... very functional; there's not much to say about it. Actually no, I want to say one thing about the gameplay. In the game you basically fight three things:

A. Wild animals
B. Soldiers
C. Immortal magical soldiers (by the way this part of the plot is stupid)

You would think that it would go A < B < C for challenge (certainly the game hypes up the immortal soldiers a fair deal) but in fact it's the exact opposite; a single bear is a badass, as likely to kill you as 10 soldiers, while the immortal magical soldiers are complete pushovers whom you can melee to death effortlessly and I don't think I ever died to them.

But anyway, let's talk about other things.

The first game had a bit of a survival element to it. You're shipwrecked on an island and are just trying to survive. It turns out the island is home to a cult which wants to sacrifice your best friend to their goddess (and kill you). Through the game your goal is to survive and get off the damn island. Over the course of this journey you have to kill members of the cult, who themselves are rather messed up. Still, the game didn't shy from the fact that killing them is awful; the first time in particular stands out as visceral and memorable and there's a lot to suggest that by the later stages of the game Lara is traumatised and messed up by having to do this.

By contrast in Rise... the plot is that Lara wants to seek out a Magical Artifact because her dad believed it existed (which he was ridiculed for before his death) and she wants to clear his name. A secret society also wants said Magical Artifact. What follows is basically a brutal bloody fight over it. It does not leave me feeling like any sort of good guy at all, though the fact that the secret society is painted as eeeeevil makes me think that nah I'm not supposed to feel bad about the fact that we're killing each other over this. But me the player is thinking... why am I even here? This is pointless.

The game does try to show that Lara is still suffering from trauma after the first game. She's pushed all but one of her friends away (for her best friend from the first game, there's a little buried conversation about this fact) and acts rather deranged at points with her pursuit of the Magical Artifact. So... points for that I guess. At the same time I dunno how much the game really commits to this line, since in all her derangement Lara turns out to be basically right about everything and hey by keeping the evil society from getting the artifact she probably saved the world.

So plotwise it's kinda close to being interesting but definitely falls short and as a result just has an atmosphere wiich feels kinda muddled.

Characters... a step down from the first game certainly. There aren't very many of them! I kinda liked the two villains but they aren't the types to carry a story. Lara is decent and well-acted; buying into her is why I'm not harder on the plot than I am. Jakob is Missed Potential: the movie. There's a big reveal about him late and then the game does nothing with it, but that ties in with the endgame plot being dumb.

It's a fun enough game to go through the motions of but I don't think I'll be returning to it and am probably done with the series now. 5/10.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 29, 2018, 10:31:02 AM »
Snowfire, that sounds unfortunate. Fun battles are what keeps me engaged given the lengthiness of the script at times. I'm just normal to get a DL playthrough sense (meaning that CS 2 normal mode will be even easier).
...into the nightfall.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 29, 2018, 11:33:48 PM »
I hope I didn't come off as too negative on CS2.  Cold Steel II battles are a ton of fun.  They're just fun in a rocket-taggy kind of way where you have a lot of unbalanced shit at your disposal.  There's some solid challenges at the beginning, some good optional fights if you do them ASAP, and the final series of bosses are potentially legit to be clear.  It's just kinda like, say, Final Fantasy 6, where the bad guys CAN mess you up if you let them do their thing - similar to CS1 V, some of 'em have MT OHKOs and the like even on Normal - buuuut their HP scores are such that they just don't tend to live real long to do their thing if you're doing things like casting 2x Earring / Hero Medal boosted Ultima at them.  I had great fun by barring some of the most OP shit to make some of the fights interesting.

Also, per Tide, I wouldn't really worry too much about a DL sense for CS2 bosses, they're all really unrankable for the above reason.  Amazing skillset & offense, but potentially delay-cheezed and also packing bad HP such that you can quite credibly never see a single move they do on Normal.  Not a great fit for the DL alas, and I say this as a fan of using Trails in the Sky bosses in the DL.  So go ahead and pick Hard without fear.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 03, 2018, 07:23:49 PM »
Bayonetta - I'm about to start C12! This game is just so completely insane. Some highlights:

- I've been doing all Alfheims so far. Shuraba is MVP for these, the chargeable strike and the high-damage combos just help so much. Nastiest fight so far was the out of body one, holy hell.
- Luka is so pure and preciously dumb =3
- Cereza is adorable and I probably wouldn't have appreciated her as much before I became an uncle.
- Most of the extra moves you can buy aren't great, are they? I expected the Stinger clones to be more useful, but the mobility isn't as necessary as it was in DMC, since Bayonetta's obscenely mobile as is and can cancel out of essentially everything with her godlike dodge.
- Speaking of which, Witch Time is busted good. The game seriously rewards learning enemy tells.
- Seguing from this, the exceptions from the extra buyable moves: Bat Within's parry is horrendously, horrendously good. It's essentially another window to pick up a dodge and a failsafe of sorts when you get caught by a combo - one that gives an extra-long Witch Time to carve your opposition up.
- Lt. Col. Kilgore is ridiculous. P-P-P-P-K => switch into Leg Kilgore => watch everything melt. It's even amazing crowd control, which is just insane.
- Ever since Grace & Glory's debut, I was kinda wondering why they got such a bad rap. I mean, they're vicious, but their main attacks are easy to read in spite of the speed and that means a lot of Witch Times. Then, I met the golden Grace & Glories in C10. Oh god, why.
- The boss fight chapters are great fun! Nice balance between wrecking face and dealing with dodging patterns.
- Speaking of which, Jeanne fights are fun as hell too. They're really weird in the sense that they can be either vicious or quick affairs depending on whether you land a good Wicked Weave on her or not, though.
- The sudden gameplay swerves aren't all that good, are they? I mean, I appreciate the attempt at variety with the Space Harrier shooter sections and the motorcycle stage, but they're generally just less compelling than the base engine. That motorcycle Verse also way overstayed its welcome, it's one of the longest stages in the game so far. Really good music, at least!
- I did -not- need that ass shot when Bayonetta rescued Cereza, Kamiya. Neither did I need that crotch shot from the Joys' introduction screen.

I've also been redoing stages where I did badly to get better returns! I'm averaging Silver now, with a few Golds here and there. I've at least been managing to avoid Stone Awards even when I die, which is kinda :unsmith:. I'm getting better!

Real fun romp, will be sad when it's over. On the other hand, there's Bayonetta 2 just waiting for me.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 07:25:46 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 04, 2018, 12:50:40 AM »
- Ever since Grace & Glory's debut, I was kinda wondering why they got such a bad rap. I mean, they're vicious, but their main attacks are easy to read in spite of the speed and that means a lot of Witch Times. Then, I met the golden Grace & Glories in C10. Oh god, why.

Gold Grace and Glory (also called Gracious and Glorious) are indeed the ones who get hype. I think the regular versions aren't precisely easy either, but yeah not too bad by comparison. Definitely a lot of fun though! Bayonetta 1 just has sublime enemy design. (Mostly.)

The sudden gameplay swerves aren't all that good, are they?

*checks your chapter number again*

Oh dear, if you're saying that now...

- I did -not- need that ass shot when Bayonetta rescued Cereza, Kamiya. Neither did I need that crotch shot from the Joys' introduction screen.

The shredding of the nun outfit near the start of the game kinda warns you about exactly what Kamiya thinks you need.

Joys... same deal, condensed and amplified in a single enemy design. They're one of the only enemies from Bayonetta 1 that doesn't return in 2, even on the stage which is basically a bunch of Bayo 1 enemy cameos. On the one hand I'm disappointed because Joys are such a joy pleasure oh hell there's no way to say this without it being a stupid pun goddamnit Kamiya to fight. On the other hand I can kinda guess why, as Joys pushed the envelope by Bayonetta standards.

Celeste - Some other game which is hard and has a female main. That's about where the similarities end, except that both games are really good. I'm seriuosly impressed with Celeste so far, it kinda feels like a culmination of various indie and quasi-indie platformers I've played in recent years, and I mean that in the best way possible. Good serious writing in a platformer, it's about goddamn time. Early game-of-the-year candidate for me. I'm up to Chapter 6.

Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 04, 2018, 07:00:57 PM »
Gold Grace and Glory (also called Gracious and Glorious) are indeed the ones who get hype. I think the regular versions aren't precisely easy either, but yeah not too bad by comparison. Definitely a lot of fun though! Bayonetta 1 just has sublime enemy design. (Mostly.)

I can agree with that wholeheartedly. Bayonetta's enemy designs work in such way that I actually understand how every single individual enemy functions and all of them have their own beats to adjust to - and it has never felt unfair in any way. Although the Kinships kinda push the envelope until you realize Wicked Weaves smart-target. I wish I had thought of it earlier instead of Bronze Medalling my way through them.

EDIT: DAMMIT, Kinships are a visual pun!

Quote from: Elfboy
*checks your chapter number again*

Oh dear, if you're saying that now...

godDAMMIT

Quote from: Elfboy
The shredding of the nun outfit near the start of the game kinda warns you about exactly what Kamiya thinks you need.

Joys... same deal, condensed and amplified in a single enemy design. They're one of the only enemies from Bayonetta 1 that doesn't return in 2, even on the stage which is basically a bunch of Bayo 1 enemy cameos. On the one hand I'm disappointed because Joys are such a joy pleasure oh hell there's no way to say this without it being a stupid pun goddamnit Kamiya to fight. On the other hand I can kinda guess why, as Joys pushed the envelope by Bayonetta standards.

Joys are indeed one of the most interesting enemy designs in Bayonetta, but the visuals there are just offputting. I can mostly shake off the rest of Bayonetta's exploitative choices when looking at the strength of the character herself, but the Joys are just... wow. Thanks for vetoing that for future entries, Nintendo.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 07:22:53 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 04, 2018, 11:20:40 PM »
Celeste - Some other game which is hard and has a female main. That's about where the similarities end, except that both games are really good. I'm seriuosly impressed with Celeste so far, it kinda feels like a culmination of various indie and quasi-indie platformers I've played in recent years, and I mean that in the best way possible. Good serious writing in a platformer, it's about goddamn time. Early game-of-the-year candidate for me. I'm up to Chapter 6.

Celeste!  Yay!  Stage 6!  Yay! (except feathers. not a fan.)

Celeste is a joy, and such a complete game.  It's not lacking in any department.  I'll be interested what you think of each stage once you're done.  How are you liking the optional stuff?
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 07, 2018, 05:48:56 PM »
FF12: about to head to Draclor Laboratory my roomie asks me if I'm in the aftergame.  I tell him, dude, in FF12 the aftergame starts like halfway through the game.  And the optional content in FF12 is so good you guys.  Almost everything you do that is extra feels worth it, like you get unique loot, open new places, fight cool espers.  And the game lets you do so much of this well before you should be ready for it.  It's awesome.

FF12 definitely has some major issues here and there - gambits not being good enough is a huge one, and the zodiac version introduces a new annoyance in limiting the number of characters that can cast buffs - but man.  Pretty great game.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 05:51:16 PM by NotMiki »

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 13, 2018, 01:37:23 AM »
Fire Emblem Warriors - Finished the game, now I am hacking through various history mode maps. Game is fun but short of great. At least I can use my favorite Nohrian prince most of the time. I haven't gotten tired of playing as him yet. <3

Mario Kart 8 - One of my students challenged me to a Mario Kart duel, and I foolishly accepted. He said that he got 3 stars on every map in 200 cc. I don't think I have the obsessiveness to compete with a 13 year old, but I've been trying to learn 200 cc! Very hard lololol
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: May 13, 2018, 03:23:42 PM »
I dusted off Mario Kart 7 because I felt like revisiting it. Good, very solid, but it's a bit played out to me so I'll probably play more 8 next time the itch strikes, since I still haven't gotten around to truly mastering 200cc yet. I've also decided to replay Wild Arms XF, finally bought some cables to connect the PSP to the TV so that's a good excuse for that.

Celeste - Finished the maingame, now hacking through the B-sides.

I have pretty much nothing but warm things to say about the game. The worst complaints I have are along the lines of "I was expecting this to be stellar and instead it's only pretty good", but even that doesn't apply to many things.

Re feathers, analog control makes them feel perfect. I generally switch between that and the D-pad depending on my mood but that's one place where the choice is clear. I liked 'em!

I don't think the story finished as strong as it had potential to. Which is to say I enjoyed the writing from start to finish but it didn't at the end of the day personally leave a huge impact on me, the way e.g. Undertale did. It talks about important things though and is snappy enough.

Thoughts on stages, as requested. This game has seriously good stage design both in how each stage has its own definite feel and platforming gimmicks and in the execution of design to feel tough but fair.

Chapter 1: A fine though not amazing opener, introduces things nicely. The traffic light platforms are potentially quite a tough gimmick because of how their momentum (kinda) matters but this stage generally played with them nicely.

Chapter 2: Kinda weird at first. But then you get the space blocks which are just loads of fun to think about (probably my favourite of the platforming gimmicks overall just because approaching them from different directions completely changes their use, and the SMG-style chase at the end is great.

Chapter 3: I didn't figure out until late in the B-side that the cilia-which-grow-into-creepies are more forgiving than I expected (I figured they gave you a time limit), which made this level pretty tough! Good platforming times in a very classic sense, feels very Mario, I don't have too much to say about it past that. Fun "boss fight" sequence too.

Chapter 4: Plotwise a filler chapter, setting-wise I liked that it felt like conquering a mountain, gameplay gimmicks were all fine but not standout amazing. I liked that room with loads of exits where the game kindly closed them off as you cleared things out of them so you didn't get lost. Actually this game is really good about not wanting you to get lost and waste time, I like it.

Chapter 5: Playing as one of those monster things was weird as hell but neat and beautifully set up what they were trying to do with the story there. Probably one of the weaker chapters gameplaywise (the red bubbles are less interesting than C4's teal ones for pure platforming)

Chapter 6: As mentinoned I liked the feathers, but the stage itself could be a bit plain, and what was up with the lack of strawberries? The boss fight is one of the game's permier moments.

Chapter 7: A great conclusion that ties everything together and gives you a great feel of accomplishment.

I dunno what this works out to ranking-wise. 2 is probably at the top, but like... the rest would depend on my mood, beyond that 7 is high. 4/5/6/ could all go quite high or quite low. Everything's good.

Into the B-sides now, and I have to say, if we're adding them to the ranking, then 1-B is straight-up my least favourite stage so far, by quite a bit. I was kinda worried that I just wouldn't enjoy B-sides but I'm glad to say that's no longer the case (for all that I think the maingame is generally stronger design-wise... which is fine! Put your best face on the stuff everyone will see). 1-B (and to a lesser extent the B-sides generally) sometimes try to be tough on too many axes at once in a way that isn't much fun - there are times when it's difficult to see what to do AND difficult to execute and thus get feedback to see if you have the right plan. Also I felt there were times where the "you get tired and can't climb any more" mechanic started really subtracting from the game (whereas it felt like a pure if minor positive the rest of the time). Having to redo something because you grabbed onto a couple ledges a little too low and thus had to do a bit more climbing than the game "wants" you to do isn't fun; too finnicky.

Speaking of too finnicky, that last room of 2-B . 2-B was great otherwise though, space blocks are the best.

3-B and 4-B were both pretty fun, tough versions of their originals, not much to say.

Guess I'll do 8 next? I missed most of the blue hearts (Celeste is a damn fine game but doesn't really put me in the mood for secret hunting), but the red ones seem to work, thankfully.

Maybe.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 14, 2018, 12:00:27 AM »
Fire Emblem Fates: After about two years, I finally went back to my original Conquest Hard file, which I had previously downgraded to Normal to complete the first run. Most resets thus far:

C24 (Hinoka): 1 reset when I realized that Azama was immobile and thus couldn't be entrapped, ~4 tries to convince myself that just bumrushing with Corrin+Camilla wasn't going to work, then about ~5 tries with a full team. In the end I resorted to having Corrin+Jakob rush the boss ASAP with dragon vein boosted mobility and depend on RNG to actually kill Hinoka while hexed, because the waves of Kinshi Knight reinforcements were just too much for me to hold off for very long. Exploiting Hinoka's item drop to switch Corrin's weapon from Dual Katana over to Grim Yato for the enemy phase probably helped me survive and kill her backup Oni Chieftain, that was the one moment in the stage where I felt clever. The next turn I would've 100% been overrun and lost someone if I didn't manage to seize successfully.

C10 (Unhappy Reunion): The stage that made me downgrade to Normal originally. Took 5 tries and one strategy tweak to win. This time I played the entire run with animations off, which made all those failed runs bearable in length.

C11 (Rainbow Sage): I had 3 resets on this stage due to repeatedly stupidity somehow. First time around I actually forgot the stage was kill boss instead of rout or sieze, so I accidentally killed Hinoka before I opened both chests. Second time around I forgot that Azama had his personal skill IN ADDITION to Counter, what an asshole. Third time I got overly aggressive with positioning Dwyer. Even a few weeks later it still boggles my mind that I somehow had 3 resets on this one but then went and beat C12 on the first try.

Biggest change besides more game knowledge is using a bunch of the class changing items from path rewards and the Awakening DLC stage this time around, which helped a lot midgame with raw stats. Dread Fighter is also a powerhouse of a class in general, especially on a file where I don't have much access to Master Ninja due to Kaze being underlevelled and barely usable when he rejoined.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 17, 2018, 09:46:54 PM »
Elf & Jo'ou: I now have an image of Bayonetta double jumping her way into a wall full of spikes and exploding.  Thanks.

Suikoden

Finished!  Yes, I never actually played Suikoden I (as could be seen from the old RPG Ratings thread).  And yes I sometimes voted it anyway, mea culpa, etc.  (I did watch my college roommate play through parts and was generally familiar with the game from osmosis.)  Hurray for the PS Vita making playing through old PSX games via PSN easy, alas for this twisted and fallen generation that has seen fit to forsake the Vita and leave it no direct successor.

Anyway, it was pretty good, if weird and dated at parts.  Which makes sense for a 22-year old game, it can legally drink.  A few thoughts:

* The main character is pretty cool, as far as silent mains go.  Notably, unlike the Suiko II hero, there aren't repeated parts of the game where I'm pounding my fist at not having an option to explain the plot to people or say sensible things.  I think he also fits at about the perfect intersection of Speshulness for a silent main player stand-in: if he's too much of a flat nobody, you wonder why people are following him at all (aka Suikoden II, or various bland Japanese high schoolers).  If they are TOO sparkly special prince/princess with secret powers and a magic heirloom and a giant robot etc. etc. then, aside from being too blatant on the wish-fulfillment for my tastes, you probably really need the protagonist to speak.  (Suiko V prince suffered from this occasionally, and as a side note, it can also dig into your feeling of agency - if everyone loves you because you're royalty, how much of this is sincere & earned?  Chrono Cross is a good example of the "too much plot on Serge = we need to see Serge reacting & commenting on it" side.)  Anyway, "son of a famous general" is perfect for having an excuse to be close to power and meet important people and learn leadership, but not have it handed to you completely for free.  And "has a super rune"... but... "oh by the way it's cursed to devour and kill everyone close to you" is a good way of giving Our Hero superpowers while adding to the tension and not being a free lunch.

** Okay, the one scene where I thought the hero needed some more dialogue options was the DRAMATIC DUEL WITH TEO.  I'm fine with chalking it up to a destiny curse that he has to die somehow, but it'd be nice to try a little harder to avoid it.  Notably, there isn't any option to explain why you defected...  "hey Dad, I would be loyal to the Empire, except for the part where Windy killed Ted and is trying to kill me."

* I knew that this is the quickest & most moving Suikoden out there, barring maybe Suikoden IV (aka the one we don't talk about), and it… mostly is?  The plot points definitely fly by, and to the game's credit, it doesn't feel like it stretches the war out super-long by taking the longest and most torturous path possible to end it that involves visiting every single village to make friends.  Really only the Neclord arc feels tacked on, and one sidequest is fine.

* Additionally, and this may be minor praise, but the game "owns" the fact that you're winning by the end, what with random people declaring the empire finished, it clearly being a last stand at Gregminster, the great faint rendition of Gregminster's music after it's obviously been turned into a giant war camp, and Barbarossa being sad about there being nothing left of his Empire rather than cackling and threatening to summon a new superweapon that will allow him to win anyway.  (I MIGHT be salty about a certain other game here.)

* I like that Mathiu feels like a dirtier fighter than the later Suikoden strategists - certainly more so than Apple, Caesar, or Lucretia.  (Maybe Shu compares.)  It's interesting that, say, Mathiu is totally willing to sell out part of the country to foreign occupation just to smash up some Imperial troops, indirectly working with Jowston which is what Teo was sent to keep in line at the start of the game.  (Even if this occupation blatantly isn't implemented in-game.)  Compare this to Suiko V, which makes a big deal of Nobly Refusing aid from outsiders to taint your cause, attacking the Barows foreign allies to make new enemies and show your True Falenanness, and it's the Godwins that invite in outside armies & foreign assassins. 

* This game doesn't feel the need to squeeze the last ounce of DRAMA out of every plot point, which is a refreshing change, but also maybe taken a little TOO far?  It's a random evil ant that forces Ted to unleash his dark powerz.  Odessa dies to nameless soldiers saving a nameless kid you've never met before.  Millich goes down without a fight, with nary a miniboss either at Scarletica Castle or in Soniere Prison, and no dramatic duel.  Both the death of the elves & Gremio go basically unavenged, which is authentically frustrating in-setting (other characters complain and want to kill somebody just to do something!).  The traitor doesn't cackle and fight you, nor even get executed on-screen.  Yuber just peaces out.  It's interesting, since a more shonen-y type approach would definitely have been throwing in constant extra boss battles that end with a dramatic redemption or dramatic escape or the like.  Helps makes the fights that do happen a little more real, I think.  That said, I think a few more plotless minibosses would have been nice from a gameplay perspective if we're not going to get the fight the villain(?)s - throw in a giant evil plant at Scarletica or something, a warden with some cronies guarding the prison at Kasim's base, etc.

* On that note, let's talk gameplay difficulty.  Well, the Suikoden series isn't really about randoms, and while it's definitely flavorful to have the Soul Eater murder everything, it means that random balance is completely and utterly shot.  That said, the bosses are surprisingly legit?  The Zombie Dragon at the Toran Lake Castle is maybe TOO legit, you don't have a whole lot of tools at that stage of the game, so it's basically just "hope he doesn't use his big MT damage attack too often".  Neclord can wear you down.  And finally, Sonya is one of the most legit lategame bosses in a Suikoden, albeit part of this being that she doesn't warn you to heal up before she attacks.  But fast + extremely dangerous magic + she totally spammed that magic at me = pretty terrifying.  Sacrificial Buddhas apparently break the game, but whatever, I didn't use 'em.  Considering that Suiko 2/5/Tierkreis are usually curbstomps, and 3's required battles weren't usually THAT bad, this was a pleasant surprise.  I also kinda like that you only get 1 rune in this game.  Other Suikodens make it so you can build multi-talented monster PCs pretty easily; in this Suikoden, if you want a Water/Flowing Rune, either it's on a fighter who will usually have a terrible number of charges and loses a Killer Rune or the like, or you're giving up a lot of offense by having a mage with only healing magic.  It's an authentic trade-off.

* Going back to the "speed" / "datedness" issue, sheesh are these some tiny towns with tiny castles allegedly holding all these soldiers.  Very little dialog updates as the game continues for the like 2-4 people strolling around in most towns.  For the most part this is fine for indirectly suggesting to the player to move on, dang it, but there are a few weird parts that reward you with characters for backtracking through the mostly same-dialog older towns.  Would have been nice for a few more PC dialogue in castle updates…  Pahn's reaction to nearly dying is to still be hungry.  Could have used a few more calibrations.

* In general, I'm a fan of lots of required characters in games like this, both to force you to mix up your team and to get better dialogue / more character-centric narrative.  However, if there's one exception, it should be the final dungeon, where you should be able to pick who you want to use, damn it.  Viktor & Flik REALLY should not have been required for Gregminster.  It's even worse that they're both short-range.  With 3/6 required PCs, that means you have a pick of THREE out of 73 units for your remaining team.  And at most one of them can be short-range.  Come on, game.  You could have had Viktor & Flik teleport in for the final confrontation just like the Great Imperial Generals do if you need them for some dialogue.

* On that note.  I'm not sure they needed the scary shaking Metroid escape sequence at the very end, especially since the castle blatantly doesn't explode or anything.  You can have Viktor & Flik disappear while fighting die-hards without that just fine.

* My final team, if you're curious, was Sonya / Tengaar / Kasumi.  Alas that fitting in both Sonya & Gremio of the late-breaking recruits is so hard.  I'd have liked to have used Valeria & Hix in the front row for Viktor & Flik, but so it goes.  Seems pretty optimal-ish..  Sonya w/ a Flowing Rune basically guarantees you won't run out of healing resources since she's a rare fighter with a good Magic score and lots of charges, and you don't really need Cleo's overkill speed post-boss Sonya, so using Tengaar / Crowley / Luc / etc. for the purer mages with a zillion Rage Rune charges to incinerate randos seems better.

* The strategic battles might be utterly broken (rock paper scissors... where you get to read your opponent's move…  sounds fair), but at least you have agency in them!  Suikoden II insisted on micromanaging the war battles itself and giving you no options.  I'll take my own easy but earned victory over somebody else's complicated win.

* For the most part, I liked that recruitment is mostly closer to Suiko3, where you can lose characters from unwise decisions, but not from arbitrary surprise time-outs where you didn't backtrack fast enough to location XYZ.  And if anything, too many of the early / mid-game recruits are totally free…  just "oh you know Mathiu I guess I'll join" types.  OTOH, some of the later recruits were way too obscure, even with the Old Books to provide hints.  Crowley (Find a secret passage in a dungeon with no clues whatsoever he's hanging out there!), Mace (not SO bad, he isn't hidden, but you don't have 4 open party slots very often and there's a strict time limit), Maximilian & Sancho (assumes you don't use the Blinking Mirror constantly, which is unlikely…  same with the level 4 castle thing apparently requiring you to enter by boat), Lester (he isn't anywhere near Moravia Castle!  There's no indication those stews are tasteable!), and Pesmerga (clue: he's hunting Yuber.  Where is he?  At the end of a dungeon where you fought Neclord.  Not real smart, this guy…  if anything he'd make more sense for the Qlon Temple / Cave of the Past, which is closer to where you encounter Yuber, sort of!). 

* Lastly.  Whatever happened to Miki Higashino after Suikoden II?  While she does have a few misses in the soundtrack (neither S1 nor S2's battle theme is anything special), she does do some dang fine town & event music in a distinctive style.  Memorable & unique stuff, I could totally hum along to both the original versions and all the cool remixes that have been made over the years.

Anyway, pretty fun, although definitely better with a FAQ.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 21, 2018, 04:45:20 PM »
Bayonetta - Fini. I need to redo the epilogue at some point because farting out three deaths on Jeanne's motorcycle section just won't do. The ice part of Jubileus was also terrible with the freeze locks, but otherwise the fight was fine. Nice culmination of all the tricks and tech you've picked up along the way. Anyhow, this was a really, really fun and outrageous romp with some beautiful surprises (WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME PHILEMON DAVID BOWIE WAS IN THIS GAME?) and some :catstare: moments (the rotoscopic poledancing at the credits and some of the angles in the ending dance, are you serious). Still, Bayonetta's a crazy compelling protagonist and the overall gameplay and stage design are simply joyful. I actually feel I want to come back to Hard Mode at some point in the near future and just aim for medals and gitting gud. It's that kind of game. I won't have much time to miss Bayo in the grand scheme of things, though, because...

Bayonetta 2 - Yeah. Just finished Chapter 2! YOU PUT JEANNE IN A FRIDGE, YOU MONSTERS. I love Bayonetta's new look, though, she's pulling off some Edgeworth/von Karma chaps with that attire and the short hair looks simply wonderful on her. I also love the more colorful overall palette of the game. They're completely nuts to put Bat Within available the minute you get access to the Gates of Hell, though.

EDIT: Greftar fashion reviews on Bayonetta cast across games plz

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 21, 2018, 05:32:40 PM »
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle - Why is this game so crazy? Why is it a X-COM-like SRPG? So far, I'm really loving this game. It is great. And crazy. And great.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 22, 2018, 10:45:58 AM »
Furi: I dunno, this might be one of those games it's more fun for me to watch than to play. I had no idea what was happening with the first fight, but tutorial fight, whatevs, it's a tutorial fight, it's there to teach you the controls. Second fight was tough but fair and did a good job of solidifying lessons the tutorial fight was trying to teach about how the game works. But the third fight seems to emphasize that learning parry timings is going to be key to passing specific phases for presumably every fight going forward. And that's going to be a problem, because if six years of mainlining Fromsoft games taught me anything, it's that I can't learn parry timings to save my fucking life so don't even bother trying. I dunno, I'll go back and try again, but those kinds of reflexes have always been beyond me as a gamer, and Furi seems to like extraordinarily quick and erratic attack sequences that you have to tag all of to counterattack properly. If counters were like one method out of many you had at your disposal to deal with enemies, that'd be okay, but it really seems 100% mandatory to pass the circle duels at the end of each boss healthbar, and my brain can't really handle twitchy responses like that.

Style is off the charts, though. That soundtrack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAAi7jWOl8
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:49:29 AM by Sierra »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 22, 2018, 10:39:35 PM »
I hear that.  Really could never quite get into the game myself, despite it being rather obviously in my wheelhouse.  Somehow, memorizing the stuff you needed to memorize always felt like a chore in that game.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #292 on: May 25, 2018, 04:18:59 PM »
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon

So... an 8bit 'prequel' for the kickstarted 'real' Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night came out today. I thought it looked cool, and it makes liberal use of my favorite platformer mechanic: character-swapping.

So I bought it.

And I beat it.

Holy crap this is a short, but amazing, platform experience. Not perfect, but definitely one of the best Castlevania experiences I've ever had. The game deserves every bit of praise it gets. The boss design is a visual treat, particularly if you have any love for 8-bit aesthetics. The best comparison I can make is "Shovel Knight, but with Castlevania tropes."

I honestly don't know if the actual Bloodstained release will live up to this 8-bit prequel, but if it -does-... :3

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 26, 2018, 12:51:34 AM »
Also playing Bloodstained: CotM

Just playing it a bit so far, got killed by the boss of stage 2 a few times and had to go do other things for the day. Really fun overall though, feels very NES platformer with more polish than most of those back in the day had.

I keep hitting R2 to swap characters instead of R1 though, not sure what game that's a reflex from but it's definitely there. @_@
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #294 on: May 30, 2018, 01:17:12 AM »
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon-  Finished the three modes, I think I'm done here.

Pretty solid.  I never played Castlevania 3, but I gather this is basically not!Castlevania 3, so there's certain weaknesses inherent in it.  Well, weaknesses.  it's kinda weird in a Castlevania context, at least when I've only played stuff after SotN, where you have two characters who shotgun through stages to drag a frail old man to boss fights, who then proceeds to lightning the boss into atoms.  Wheee.

On the whole the one basic game type I didn't do, the buster run, seems kinda miserable to me?  Powered up Zangetsu is alright, and Ultimate mode version is extra fun overall, but he's somewhat intentionally unresponsive with his base abilities (because the idea is Miriam has the Belmont abilities, not him) and his damage loops are kinda technical, at least for me.  Miriam wants to swap through her subweapons faster than the game really lets you, but her base abilities are still fun to play with, honestly Nightmare mode is by a wide margin my favorite. 
Gebel of course is there to easy mode some rooms in stages, because sometimes platforming is just too much work.

There's kinda a cap to how much I really enjoy a lighter game like this, even with the overall fun tone and solid gameplay (I mean, I played ~6 hours over the weekend to get all those unlocks, that's not a thing I do in 2018), but I think it hits that fairly easily?  7/10 I think.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 30, 2018, 08:29:53 AM »
Celeste: Beat the main game, vaguely dying my way through Core. Very fun overall game, I enjoy the platforming quite a bit but don't care for the hidden passageway hunting as much. Core and Hotel feel like the weakest areas, Summit is easily the strongest area. I actually don't mind feathers at all, I found them pretty easy to use. But I'm playing on the switch and have a proper controller with both D-Pad and Stick, so that may be part of it.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 30, 2018, 02:25:25 PM »
Yep I'm pretty *shrug* at the hidden passageway hunting in the game too. It's pretty ignorable though.

Completed 1-B through 7-B. Wow 7-B was tough. Enjoyed it quite a lot until the end where it introduces a finnicky new mechanic. B-side opinion is pretty much where it was when I last posted: fun but the design is more mixed than the maingame... really good sometimes though, so it's been worth a go for sure.

Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 30, 2018, 04:18:04 PM »
Bloodstained Curse of the Moon

Is pretty cool, see others.  Agree with CK that Nightmare mode is maybe the most fun.

One asterisk that is a little wacky for game balance is how all the permanent power-ups require allies alive (or super-Zangetsu).  This means that if you run into a power-up that you don't have the right character alive for, you might as well commit suicide, since a long-term power-up >>> a single life.  This is especially potent for the weapon-power upgrades; subweapons are really good in this game, and going from 20 max -> 30 or 40 is very potent in the boss fights.

--
Side blabber on actual C3: CK, if you didn't know, Castlevania III only lets you keep one ally at a time; if you recruit another one, the original leaves.  Sypha is also entirely capable of slaughtering randoms, too, hearts permitting.  So it's more choose between cheaty mobility allowing you to take the short routes through stages (Grant, Alucard) vs. murdering bosses / rando-enemies with lightning (Sypha).  Like Alfred, Sypha is pretty squishy though.  (Also, Alucard's basic attack is worse than Gebel's; same style spread, but it does puny amounts of damage.)

Also, random link to the HoD remix of one of the better pieces of music to come from Castlevania III, despite a mere 40 second loop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF4W_Uzc4Uc

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 31, 2018, 12:27:06 PM »
Finished A Link Between worlds.

A great follow up to A Link To The Past and a straight up better game.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past
I had forgotten how morbid this game can be. The party chat does a good job establishing that Maribel and Keifer are well suited to dealing with otherwise traumatizing situations. Like "This city full of dead stone statue people is really sad. Time to move on and be a hero somewhere else!"

Maribel is usecul early with the apeed and utility. I didn't remember there being this much distinction between PCs.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 31, 2018, 04:58:15 PM »
Yep I'm pretty *shrug* at the hidden passageway hunting in the game too. It's pretty ignorable though.

As a guy who likes that sort of thing and collected all the hidden strawberries, I'd give it an 8/10 for quality of hidden stuff.  I was able to find it all without an FAQ, but a few were inordinately difficult to track down, mostly because it was vague where in the broader level they might be, and Celeste is a game that doesn't make it that easy to quickly and easily go where you want.