Author Topic: What Games are You Playing 2018?  (Read 47858 times)

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are You Playing 2018?
« Reply #350 on: July 12, 2018, 07:46:20 PM »
Troubleshooter: So I've mentioned this a couple of times in Discord, but I've been playing this recently and it's pretty solid. It's a nice mixture of FFT meets X-Com meets Tactics Ogre in a modernized but still animu setting. How is it similar? Well -

* Battles are conducted in a SRPG plane, utilize CTB, and deal with facing, line of sight and such.
* Characters can equip different skills, have a base class and unique skills to that class
* A nice variety of objectives (thus far)
* Player choices that effect the set up of fights and positions.

Some notable differences -
* Actions in the game are determined by the amount of Vigor you have, with each action costing a certain amount. If you don't have enough Vigor, you have to pass your turn and charge it (which is generally slow)
* Instead of Charge time, there is a Cool Down period on certain skills
* Equipment follows more of a MMORPG line - lots of it, but randomized attributes
* Because cover and facing are important, many attacks have substantial accuracy issues (running around with sub 80% hit rates is the norm thus far)
* Skills are unlocked by researching them using old skills scrolls. You can only equip as many as you have the skill points for and the skill slots for.

Most notably, the game is pretty challenging on Normal. I would recommend for those who like any of those 3 titles to give this one a shot. As for the plot I haven't gotten very far, having only played about 5 hours, but from what I've played, it's decent enough so far.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 13, 2018, 05:40:32 PM »
Ys 8: hit a sizeable roadblock in phase 1 of the true final boss.  It spawns a lot of adds that are giant hp sponges and need to be killed, has an unpredictable and devastating move to heal itself, and most problematically has a randomly-targeted attack that is very hard to see well.

98% of the way through the game things are looking a little dicey. we'll see!
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 15, 2018, 03:31:03 PM »
Night in the Woods

Marathon streamed this over the Friday the 13th-Saturday morning window.  Absolutely incredible game.  I expected it to be good, based on recommendations, but I didn't expect it to be that good.  It is that good.  NitW vs Undertale is an actual debate my brain is having.

The entire game is a continuous ride of surprise and delight.  Detail work is everywhere, from the way the protagonist Mae's eyes change shape and move around, to tiny intentional typos and more.  Lines and people that seem like one offs can lead to entire scenes.  The music is fantastic.  And the writing, well, oof.  110% spot on, hard hitting and relevant.  Gonna take me a while to even process it all. 

Play Night in the Woods.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 16, 2018, 01:40:35 AM »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 16, 2018, 12:14:06 PM »
Octopath Traveler - Four and a half hours into this game, it's really good. Going with Cyrus as my main, who is clearly a book-smart Bartz. So far, I did Tressa and H'aanit's prologues and working on Ophilia's as of now. If any of you guys have any love for Bravely Default and SaGa Frontier, you really oughta give this a try.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #355 on: July 17, 2018, 06:04:50 AM »
Octopath Traveler:

So I got this on release date and played as much of it as my schedule would allow. I apparently started on the exact opposite side of the world as Snow, since I managed to get the other four main characters so far. Primrose's story is the best so far, but yeah, this is the good parts of SaGa Frontier and Bravely Default mixed together.

One of the more interesting features of the game so far is that each of the characters has a 'Map Skill', that essentially turns every NPC in the game into a mini-puzzle/treasure chest.

I grabbed the thief character, Therion, as my main, and his ability is to attempt to steal items from every NPC. The Apothecary, Alfyn, can chat each NPC up to get a brief blurb about their lives and also clues to hidden treasures or useful stuff like a Discount At The Inn. Primrose the dancer can outright -recruit- half the NPCs on the planet and summon them into battle to perform their special technique. Olberic, former knight captain, can offer to spar with any NPC to get a bit extra EXP for himself and the chance at an item drop (it is amazing how many NPC grandmas want to spar with Olberic!).

Since towns and dungeons are actually relatively tiny, this means that the meat of the exploration actually comes from using your Map Skills to fully investigate each and every NPC. Chat them up for no-risk hints and tips, then Steal any good stuff they might have (though don't risk the low-percent sucess rate unless you're willing to save-scum!), then make sure to pick up the latest and greatest new Allured party member from the available bachelors in town, and then finally Duel everyone into submission to grind some extra EXP and item drops (don't worry, they'll thank you for the free training afterwards... from the dirt!).

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 17, 2018, 08:17:49 PM »
Octopath - Can they not make the nax party member 5 instead of 4?
Ophilia had to stay since she is broken and you want to build her up fast.
Primrose makes you walk over mid game dungeon with ease during early game thanks to broken NPC she can bring. Also the EXP HAX.
Therion has to stay for purple chest and stealing.
Cyrus is a must to bait info and magic DAMAGE.
Tressa is totally necessary for she prints money out if thin air. Oh and she has physical DAMAGE.

But that's 5 persons. Why are you doing this to me game!?

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 20, 2018, 01:50:05 AM »
Bravely Second: the mechanics of this game are lovely but I feel like the plot is just hitting similar beats and lacking any soul. Bright side, no Yulyana and such yet. The music is also a step down from Brave 'll y Default except where it just reuses the Revo stuff.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 20, 2018, 11:39:42 AM »
Final Fantasy 4 Free Enterprise- FF4 randomizer. Been playing this on and off as I have a few minutes. It's a FF4 open world randomizer where you start with two random characters, an airship, and a key item.  It's fun and quick to play (Average playthrough with the hardest flags is 4 hours, with the casual flags it's more like an hour).
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 20, 2018, 03:53:03 PM »
FE: Shadows of Valentia -
Been playing this too on the subway ride to work. This is a very weird game. It's FE but it is weird. Probably because there are so many conventions of FE that we are used to from the various games and this one just does so many of them differently. Notable differences:

- There are dungeons, and you get to explore them. You choose a party of 10 before exploration and then you go off. Yes, dungeon exploration in a FE - it's a new concept.
- Growth rates are back down to OG FE6/FE7 ones, possibly lower. Not Neo-FE in FE10 onward, so it is kind of weird to see level ups with nothing but +1 Skill or +1 HP. I had to make sure I wasn't getting juked by a Jeigan. Apparently growth rates in this game sans a few characters are bad.
- Promotions are done by visiting a statue in a Temple. Yes, no promotion items! Is this good or bad? I'd say more towards the bad (it slows the game down a bit, but that's a player choice), but again, new convenation.
- Inventory - you no longer carry multiple items. You only carry one. This is actually somewhat of a positive IMO because it forces you to choose a select item carefully. Most of the time, it's easy. But there are a couple of occasions where the decisions get interesting.
- Level scaling - EXP scales really badly. To the point that getting someone 10+ is a massive grind.
- Attack Speed - see Snowfire's stat topic, but you only need ONE more speed to double! What. This makes Speed in a somewhat weird place. It feels more of an absolute switch and those that are in the Middle are often super shaky
- Accuracy - Terrain is super powerful. It is like the norm to see hit rates that are 70s or lower. Also spells have fixed accuracy and ignore terrain.
- Skills - you learn these from equipped weapons and are only compatible with that weapon. In recent FEs, you learn a skill and it becomes part of your repetoire.

All this makes for a very bizarre experience. The core of the game is still FE, but it's substantially different. It's still a solid title though, so if you haven't given it a shot because of the things you've heard, I'd see if I can grab a copy and run through it. Some character thoughts so far; mostly Celica route because I've yet to do Alm Pt 2. For the most part, Celica feels like she got the better end of the deal here. More on that later.

Alm: He's solid for what he is. One of the few chars with decent enough growths and solid enough bases. Unlike Celica, he's not as overshadowed by his other allies initially since he's one of the few dudes on his team that has speed/defense/offense mixed together. His closest competitor is Gray, but Alm's growths feels like he takes the win here overtime. We will see come Pt 2.

Gray: I went with recommended classes. Anyway, game tells to you to go Merc, so I did and he's pretty solid. Helps that Alm route has the Lightning Blade and the only other contender for it other than Gray is Alm himself. Merc is a great class but I'm not sure if his performance is mainly due to the class itself because Gray's growths have just been atrocious. Luckily, class changing in this game instantly bumps you up to the class minimum, so I suspect he won't really get bad until towards the end.

Tobin: So this is the guy that made me think was a Jeigan because his level ups have all been like +1 Skill. Aw yeah. Well, I did go Archer with him, so it's not as bad as it sounds. He starts with 6 Speed, which is p.good, but Bows weigh a ton so bleh. Archers are pretty good because holy cow, they can attack at 1 range now. What. Also, they hit hard and can further extend their range to like 5. This is as crazy as it sounds in FE, which is made up here by bad accuracy. So the +1 Skill isn't as ridiculous as in modern FEs, but he'd probably be like Gray and start sucking eventually.

Kliff: He has like an awful start, but no other Mages in sight for a while means he gets a unique niche. He hits hard and has decent enough HP to survive a hit. But he hasn't really wow'd me yet.

Faye: Cleric Faye gains Psychic at like Level 8. This is crazy good and she's bailed me out more than once because of that. I'd rank her higher but the offense/defense mix is awful.

Lukas: Lukas suffers from one problem, which is awful move. Other than that, being a solid tank along with Alm has made him shine thus far. I suspect the Move issue will screw him over, especially as there are more magic enemies, but for now, he's great at what he does.

Silque: Oh wait, I said Faye had bad durability/offense? Silque is worse. Still second healer means she can only get so bad.

Clair: Only flyer thus far. This has ups and down in SoV. First, no rescue means that you can't ferry so it isn't as significant as in modern FEs. You also terrain bonus. However, having that much move gives you a unique positioning advantage, which is cool. Clair has no offensive power but mobile means she can pick things off when the others failed.

Clive: Is like Mr. Average. Will wait to see as I use more of him, but for now? Eh

Forsycthe: He's Lukas except behind on levels, which is a notable disadvantage in this game and none of the early game performance. In short, I suspect he will remain underwhelming with all of Lukas' issues and none of his shining moments.

Python: Good god, those bases suck. I'm hoping he's like the Est of this route because he's almost unusable. Thankfully he's an archer so he can snipe things and get some kills that way but ew.

Celica: Is actually really good, but not the MVP of her own route. She can hit both defenses and she has solid growths across the both. Unfortunately, she's saddled with 4 Move and a lateish promotion, so it makes sense her growths will be higher to compensate. The main thing that makes Celica good is being able to use Magic when necessary and as a secondary healer when Genny has something else to do. I haven't used her on offense for a while. Just got her promotion though so she'd probably start making more combat contributions.

Mae: The glass cannon. Hits really hard, often at the lower defense stat and is fast enough to support her spells. Low skill, but doesn't care thanks to spells ignoring terrain and having fixed accuracy. She's super frail though so that's been a bit of an issue, but excellent at what she does.

Boey: Him on the other hand, I'm not sure. He's like the tank mage. Awful speed and doesn't hit for a lot. But hey, he has more def so he can take more hits or something?

Genny: So SoV gives mages and clerics different spell lists. Genny's been kind of amazing because initially, she's the healer when Celica hasn't levelled up as much yet. Later on though, she has Invoke, which allows you to summon fodder and after promotion, gains like Expel which lets is basically AoE ID on undead targets. Given how many of those there are on Celica's route, this is kind of good. Her offense gets decent too with Seraphim. Almost as good as Celica, if not better.

Saber: Cast MVP so far. Merc gives him good Skill and Speed bases, and then Saber has like growths catered towards HP/Def. So he hits hard and can take a few hits. But wait, it gets better. After promo to Dread Fighter, now he has +5 Res, halves magic damage and 7 move. Jesus. Doubles nearly everything and demolishes like anything he hits. Just amazing.

Leon: Gets an honourable mention, but that's mainly due to Archer's unique stuff in SoV. 5 Range and then after 2nd promo, gets 8 move. He's basically a highly mobile turret that can occasionally double for big damage. Curved Shot gives him a guaranteed killing shot option. Has been my secret weapon against a couple of bosses because they can't get into range and he just out snipes them.

Kamui: Less impressive Saber, but is still very solid. He has weaker Defense, but better balance across his stats. Still very good overall.

Valbar: Oh boy. So armor - this means he has the issues I mentioned on Lukas. But Valbar makes those issues worse because he's like inept on offense. He gets doubled by everything and mediocre accuracy. He does one job really well, which is eating physical hits. He also gets blown up by teleporting Witches and SoV makes it such that it auto-deploys everyone for you. Playing on Casual so I don't really mind, but I can't imagine him not being a liability in Classic from this. Needless to say, he also has no Res so against magic, he's toast.

The Peg Sisters: They all have similar class strengths to Clair, but different roles. Palla has weaker speed and is better starting but is now at the point where her younger sisters outclass her. Catria is balanced and has been a solid performer throughout. Est sucks really hard at first, but the auto-deploy everyone means you should probably give her some EXP due to scaling and then she gets caught up and becomes good. The class also gets access to banish on promo to Falco Knight so they are like amazing at killing undead things, something I'm not sure if Alm will encounter as much.

Jesse: A late joiner but is basically a more offensively focused Merc versus Saber and Kamui. He also supports other Mercs, because why not, so I'm sure he's going to be pretty great as long as his growths aren't awful. They don't appear to be thus far.

Deen: Uh...he's okay. I've only used him once or twice so far and he hits pretty hard. He's a merc, so he can only get so bad. But so far, nothing else remarkable compared to the Saber, Kamui or Jesse. Probably should've gone with Sonja because going through her map was pain. Celica route does have enough swords to

Atlas: Unlike Est, has bigger issues getting XP cause he doesn't have her move and is locked to a 1 range weapon for a long time. See Deen

<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: July 21, 2018, 08:53:43 AM »
Octopath - okay, how badly they handle the plot is getting infuriating. Having each character's story as a stand alone is the absolute crime here.
Especially H'aanit ch.4, I really really feel like breaking something.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 23, 2018, 09:29:08 AM »
Zelda: Wink Waker  - approaching first real dungeon

Pictograph guy mentioned meeting someone on Outset Island long ago.  I suspect this "lass" is Link's grandma though of course there's no conclusive evidence.  Anyways, story progression at last and the game's musical gimmick is introduced.  I end up trying to time it like a rhythym game and fail badly enough for the boat to snark at me.  Um, OK.  Disembark and the first stop is the conspicuous island in the back which I deduce are song directions.  So first song learned about a minute after getting the item.
  Story stuff.  I laugh at the "green clothes and silly hat" part.  It must be Ayesha.  See, he/she also wants to save a sister.  Find the plot item I need to progress but the character isn't just going to hand it over of course.  I make Medli dizzy about 30 times because I'm dense and didn't try to find an elevated position.  Then I wander around for another 20 minutes trying to figure out what to do next and talking to everyone with no success until I stumble into using the empty bottle on some water.  OK, then.  Work out what to do after that and it's on to a dungeon.  Of course.  I'd like more than three hearts but so it goes.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #362 on: July 25, 2018, 04:51:16 PM »
Octopath Traveller:
I am loving the secondary Job system! Holy crap there are FF5-style unique sprites for every single character/job combination! Olberic the buff warrior makes a mighty fine exotic dancer. The potential skill combinations are pretty impressive without being too convoluted. It's not quite as open as FF5's job mixing and matching, but the JP limitations aren't quite as strict, so it feels like I can try even more combinations, especially earlygame. The balance and polish in this game in fantastic.

Re: Story
While I agree that it would have been nice if the characters interacted with eachother's stories, I think ultimately I like how they're handling it. There are optional scenes where the PCs have conversations with eachother (almost like FE support convos from what I've seen so far), but apart from that, each character's path is a standalone story. The game has done an excellent job being 8 separate games that somehow intertwine. I could really see each of the PCs as if they were the main character of their own JRPG, which is pretty unique, even among games that try this 'multiple protagonist' angle, like SaGa Frontier or Mana Khemia 2, where there always feels like there's one "real" main character, and several 'alternate' ones. In 8PT, I think only Tressa comes off as kind of an 'alternate lead', since she's a merchant. (Though you could make the argument that she's just representing a slightly different genre of JRPG, like an Atelier-style protagonist.) All the other PCs have that distinct feeling of being the star of the game, with just enough tropes from their chosen genre of fiction to help sell the illusion of playing 8 games at once. It's fascinating.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 27, 2018, 06:42:56 AM »
Octopath Traveller
Started this up.  Playing as Tressa, since the Kotaku review indicated she had the best plot anyway, and sure Capitalism Ho works.  Looks like this will be one of those casts with backloaded damage in the DL though, as they want to wait for turn 3 to really go nuts. 

The art is very nice.

Night in the Woods
I actually started this up about 45 minutes before Sir Alex started his stream of it, since I've been meaning to get to it.  Played 3 hours or so (and grabbed another hour since), on Day 2 of Chapter 2 after visiting the dying suburban mall with Bea.  I think I was a tad better at it than Alex's report, though, since I only died once I got to the Blood Moat.  Leafy Graveyard however can screw right off.  (For those that don't know, there's a reverse-Zelda effect where to make the game challenging, you LOSE max health every level.  By stage 8, you die to a stiff breeze, and have to deal with teleporting dagger ghosts.)  Also the band makes fun of my bad bass playing every time.  Come on folks, I'm not THAT bad.

Also, per Sierra, this is definitely a CmdrKing simulator at times.  Maybe not some of Mae's decision making, but the general "burn it down, burn it all down, but in a nice way" kind of attitude.

Cosmic Star Heroine
Pretty fun.  On Chapter 7.  Some thoughts in disconnected bullet point form:

* I have to say, for a 2-man project, I am amazed at all the sprite work they did.  This is not a game where they made 15 enemy types and then got out their palette swap tool; there's an amazing diversity in enemy designs, with plenty of enemies that appear for just one or two fights.  And even the popular mooks will only be in one dungeon, so maybe ~6-8 fights at most.  A lot of love in the backgrounds.

* Battle system is good, as is usual for Zeboyd.  They clearly thought long & hard about making a system where your best option was not either "use your best damage" or "heal" every turn.  That said, the result is a somewhat stressful system at times?  The main innovations are that some turns are just The Right Time To Act and are Hyper turns, which I like, similar to the random effect on turns that Xenosaga or Trails has.  And also you can't just spam your best ability, abilities all go on cooldown after you use them and you need to use a Defend ability to recharge 'em.  Finally, the Vulnerable status exists, which doubles damage, as well as various buffs that are short-lasting.  The result is that normal attacks are just a gentle rain, and it's all about setting up deadly Hyper turns - double damage from Hyper, double damage from Vulnerable, and some +X% buff means you're dealing like 5-6x your normal damage if you set it up right, and renders anything else tiny in comparison.  Screw it up and forget to Vulnerable, or even worse be forced to do something like Heal on a Hyper turn, and you give up a lot of damage - and enemies gain Style too, so their damage tends to rise as the battle goes on, similar to Zeboyd's other games.  Anyway, I found the battles in C1-C2 pretty darn intense on Heroine (=Hard).  C3-C6 or so was easier and I sometimes amp'd the difficulty up to Super-Spy (=Lunatic), but that honestly makes randoms a bit too much of a slog, so the game might be more fun on Heroine anyway, plus the bosses are nightmares on Super-Spy where you usually need at least some targeting RNG to go your way.  So back to Heroine it is, for all that the Desperation bonus is a little too nice on this mode (I'd be fine with the same stats, but losing 100% style to activate it so you're a bit less immortal).

* A lot of the music is only okay, but the parts they got right were the most important ones: the regular battle theme and the boss theme, which you hear a LOT.  Also, the overworld theme for Planet Araneu is great, blatant Blade Runner vibe ripoff, but that's what you want.  ( https://hyperduck.bandcamp.com/track/araenu )

* Still not all the technical kinks worked out, I see.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/T1yzB7eG4MPUvrr18 Picture of Alyssa trapped forever between her sofa & table.  Had to do the Creature-X boss fight again, which I cranked down to Agent for a fast curbstomp rather than doing another tense Heroine fight.  Other times the game has straight-up crashed.  Luckily, this is a save-anywhere game, so it isn't actually that bad.

* Writing is...  hit or miss.  Which is better than miss or miss, which is what I was kinda expecting after Otter's reaction to C1.  The early part of the game clearly has "TODO: add hacking minigame here" where Alyssa is supposed to let the players have some agency and win some hacking minigame, after she goes to do this herself at the end of C1, gets separated from the team for no reason and has to hack a terminal in C2, and there's a busted hacking game you can't play at the Millenium Fair Freedom Festival.  Anyway, some of the meta jokes are pleasantly understated, while others are shoved uncomfortably in the player's face.  Also the dialogue from townspeople generally doesn't zing, and the writer still thinks that having other people tell you how cool somebody is works rather than just showing how cool they are.  That said, it has its moments when I appreciate what it's up to, especially other-game homages that the characters don't loudly comment on - the Chrono Trigger ripoff above (which was rather lovingly done, I liked it), or the Resident Evil 2 ripoff with a zombie-infested police station with a secret facility beneath it and dopey puzzles totally incongruous to a police station.  I also don't mind when the townspeople properly react to the Obvious Plot Barrier with wry comments about how inconvenient it is for the train system to be out and the like.  Zeboyd still has a lot they need to work on, and the jury's still out on the serious overplot, but I guess I'll take it.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 30, 2018, 02:28:37 PM »
Played more of Echoes, so now I can comment more on Alm's cast. Also, a couple more characters on each route - although I just got them!

Alm: Okay, pre-promotion, I wasn't impressed that much. He was basically a more solid Gray but at the cost of not being able to promote for a while, so he has to hope his bases + growths carry enough. Post promotion along with the Royal Blade - oof. Double Lion is really good and turns Alm into a killer on Player Phase. This combined with his utility characters in his army, means he can go in and snipe annoying targets to death, then come back out as long as they don't get OHKO'd. What a huge jump though.

Gray: His growths are still trash. He's a tier 3 now, so no more room to jump up. So far though DF's bases +1/2 magic damage have been saving him from being useless since it gives him really strong Player phase and he's much more magically tanky than like everyone else in the army. I'm waiting for his falling off period, which might be soon? Looks like I'm nearing Rigel castle, which appears to be end game.

Tobin: He eventually got a couple of speed points, so he's pretty solid. Overall stats are still bad, but the class really makes him shine. Sniping targets from 5 range + 8 Move is killer, as noted with Leon.

Kliff: He eventually got Excalibur. This makes him really good on Player phase! Also, his 60% speed growth is a lie and I gave him a Speed Ring just to see what it would be like if he kept doubling things. Pretty damn glorious as a result.

Faye: Psychic was actually L6, so Faye's gotten better in my eyes. Even better as part of the "Send Alm off into the woods and let him murder things safely" strategy, she has Rescue. It takes a while, but once she gets it and Silque gets the other half in Warp, watch out. The caveat is that it costs a lot of HP and both clerics/saints might want to do healing instead. Still great though.

Lukas: More magic enemies in second half makes Lukas sad. It's interesting to note though. He's about 1 point or 2 off of Speed from Lukas but has like 3-4 more points in Defense. This makes for a very different take on the same class on roles. Lukas is notably better again physical enemies, but also notably worse against magic and some other faster ones. 

Silque: Durability still sucks, but she has Warp which let's Alm's army do crazy movement BS. Tough part is, she takes forever to get it and she still can't take any hits at all.

Clair: Banish is neat since she's the only Peg in Alm route. Still kind of mediocre and dishing it out, but has her uses.

Clive: Okay, Clive is awful. It's a toss up on whether he is worse than Luthier, but Clive has been consistently bad since join. He was average at best initially and his growths don't really keep up. Worse yet, he has to compete with Mathilda and there are better offensive powerhouses on Alm's army. Also, has a mighty 1 res, which makes decidedly worse against mages most of the time than Lukas AND Forsyth. Gag.

Forsyth: Is bad, but not as bad as I thought. He has all of Lukas' problems as noted, but he's a little better at tanking magical hits since his slightly faster speed often stops doubles. And he has a notably higher base Res as well. It's a small difference, but it makes him and Lukas different enough that they do separate things.

Python: K, he's not Est. His stats suck, but archer in SoV means you can only be so bad. Massive range and poking things to death to the rescue! Makes for a fun deploy alongside Tobin and watching them snipe things are huge range. Tobin's still better due to tighter support rings and earlier appearance.

Mathilda: Great, and one of the stronger units on Alm route. Starts off with great bases, growths are good in the right bases and has an actual Res score to eat a magic hit if necessary. Yeah she's not as tanky as the Barons but she makes up for that by having notably better offense in movement + Attack speed. Been pretty impressed with her overall and reminds me of Miredy in FE6.

Luthier: Bad. He hits the right defensive stat most of the time, but the stats aren't good and if you have a mage already, he doesn't have a big reason to be used. He does start with Excalibur so for the first couple of levels after join, he pulls his weight, but then he gets notably outshone rather quick. Worse yet is the Mage promo being so late. He's pretty much deadweight now - I'm hoping to promo him soon so he can just hang back and heal.

Delthea: You would think would be bad but ends up really scary. She starts under levelled but bases are in the right places and like Mathilda, growths are in the right places too. Unlike Luthier, she pays off if you invest in her for a little. She's the Est of Alm route and has become my damage cannon. I transported a Mage Ring over so now she also has massive attack range which helps out quite a bit. She's a little fragile (like Mae), but is great on Player phase. Lacks Excalibur but also probably doesn't care?

Tatania: Erm...no clue yet. She's only been around for 2 levels and there hasn't been much happening in them. One of them was to get Zeke and the other was a battle with Necrodragons (that just scream magic bait). She's a staff bot at worse though and has Psychic which means she'll alleviate some pressure from Faye. This can only be so bad.

Zeke: Clive if he was actually good. Decent stats across the board, but like Tatania, I haven't used him much so it remains to be seen.

<@Claude> yahtzee

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 31, 2018, 09:35:36 AM »
Spoilers for a couple levels from now: Tatiana is really good.

I generally agree with most of your comments well enough, though I was lower on archers for sure - they have a neat niche but in some cases the stats just get so bad that they can't do much, and many hard-to-kill enemies you'd like to snipe with them camp on terrain which sends their hit into the negatives.

Luthier's a bit better than you give him credit for since he gets Excalibur and can work the Speed Ring to wreck most things on player phase while having enough bulk to take a hit or two on the enemy phase. I still didn't bring him on my final dungeon team but he's nowhere near LVP material just because of the usual "mages are great" reasons.

For myself I'm playing Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle and it's pretty damn great. Nearing the end, I'll have a big post when I'm done.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 12:43:48 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 31, 2018, 12:43:15 PM »
Octopath Traveller - I decided to do Ophilia’s path and enjoyed the Prologue and the first chapter. They did a decent job of developing those three characters. The game has beautiful art and nice music, so it’s been quite nice to play. The first boss was very hard and I did have a reset! After doing her first chapter, I tackled Cyrus’s. That guy is a bit of a self-satisfied douchebag, classic academic. The headmaster is ALSO a douchebag and also a classic academic in that he wants to keep knowledge under lock and key (or paid subscriptions to journals) and gets pissed off if you imply otherwise. The second dungeon with Cyrus and Ophilia was quite a bit easier than just Ophilia’s, but the boss definitely still put up a fight. Don’t wanna imagine that fight alone without two people.

Fun times.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 31, 2018, 01:02:03 PM »
The fights clearly get scaled based on level and character count, as far as I can understand. I picked Cyrus as my main and his boss was pretty manageable. This said, the game doesn't hold your hand and isn't afraid to wipe your ass, so stay on your toes!

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 01, 2018, 09:39:47 AM »
Wind Waker: My First Dungeon

Maybe it's some quirk of my attention span but I don't look forward to Zelda game dungeons.  3d Zelda dungeons come of quite formulaic to me.  Solve some puzzles, get dungeon item, solve more puzzles that require use of item, use item in some way to beat boss.  Mixing in some outdoor areas help keep the location more interesting and the warp pots are a nice addition to the formula which one can use to break up the dungeon crawling into shorter sessions.  Got the Zelda equivalent of the Grapple Beam (or Bionic Arm if one prefers) which raised the enjoyment factor.  Got stumped and ran around in circles for a while trying to find my way to the lower level of one of the rooms without getting 3rd degree lava burns.  Soon after, there was another obstacle that I thought I had to bring a lit torch from the previous room to burn some rope forgetting about another sharp object I could use.  Made my way to the boss key but couldn't figure out how to backtrack so did a save and quit warp.
  Died once at boss because I didn't figure out the gimmick.  Once I did, well this is more creative than I expected.  Heart Container acquired, plot progression item acquired.  With a full wallet and no shop on the island to spend my Rupees on, there's no incentive to hang around so it's off to the next place the game tells me to go.

More tutorial stuff on the way out and soon after... giant Blooper!  Ahhh, what do I do?  Unable to escape and I don't have anything to use on it...  oh, it tossed me next to some flaming wreckage with a small health loss.  That's better than the doom I was preparing myself for.  Nothing else of note on the way to the next plot destination.

On the climb, I get smacked around by soccer ball spitting monsters while I attempt to close in to whack them directly.  Duh, try reflecting the soccer balls, that works better.  OK, this will be quick, well crap I got to go through another dungeon.  Would have liked another heart on my life meter for this.  I have lots of trouble working out how to hit the updraft to reach the dungeon.  Between the numerous drownings and the laval burns from the last dungeon, I do feel a little bad about renaming the protagonist Ayesha.  Saved and quit in frustration to find out I needed to climb all the way back to that point to try again.  Get it at last and breathe a sigh of relief upon saving in the first room of the dungeon.  Do not want to deal with that updraft again.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 02, 2018, 04:11:33 AM »
Bravely Second: Beat Kaiser Oblivion and Diamat.

Got Meteor.

In Bravely Second, "Spellcraft" lets you enhance a spell with a bonus in exchange for one turn/BP. So "Firaga" can become "Firaga Dart", a spell that does 1.5x damage and gets initiative. To compensate for the spellcraft being Single-target, natural MT spells get their power doubled when Spellcraft (some exceptions).

The "Rain" spellcraft turns a spell into a meteor-clone that hits 4 times, each hit at 0.6x base damage (2.4x damage total). Unfortunately this is a bit broken and applies an "MT penalty" when facing multiple foes, scaling down each individual hit if there are multiple foes on the field. But it DOES ignore this and double the base power if the spell "Rain" is applied to is natural MT.

So "Rain" turns Meteor into a 4.8x monstrosity unto god. Better than 4.8x in practice because "Rain" functions as actual 4 attacks, so a damage cap of 40,000 instead of 9999 But it still takes a turn to set up?

No, because "Ventriloquism" is a passive skill that allows someone with it to apply the Spellcraft they've selected to EVERY PC spell cast that turn. So if a PC with Spellcraft uses "Rain", every spell cast that turn by PCs becomes "Rain". So two mages with Meteor, one with Ventriloquism can pull this nonsense turn 1:

PC 1: Meteor, Rain, Meteor, Meteor

PC 2: Meteor, Meteor, Meteor, Meteor.

Through the magic of Ventriloquism this becomes 7 Meteor Rains.

This translates into 7*4 = 28 Meteors, each with the power of 1.2x the base (gamebest) Meteor. So call it ~250,000 damage, just from 2 PCs. Egads.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 02, 2018, 06:13:25 AM »
Cosmic Star Heroine, Chapter 8

Meh.  I'm all about subverting expectations, but not when it's done so incompetently that it's not even clear if it was intentional or not.

Spoiler warning.  Okay so we're in a Phantasy Star meets Mass Effect plotline where rather than good honest human villains, suddenly we're worried about nebulous evil dark forces that twist the mind and have evil ghosts and the like, a la Dark Force or the Reapers.  There's a big tower that's been invaded by nebulous evil that normally has the antenna & networking to keep the cyber-insects in tune to their hivemind.  Also as you reach the top you start not feeling so well and enter a nightmarish hellscape of the mind, or, uh, some blue backgrounds, same diff.  Music is also very tense.  Okay fine.

Expectation: The alien insects sabotaged their own network to prevent it from being used for evil (vaguely a la SC2: Legacy of the Void).  A key bad guy, possibly possessed by the REAL villains (vaguely a la Reaper Programming), is trying to reboot the tower to use it to impose evil mind control on, well, at least the insects, and maybe everybody.  This tower should be long, like the longest and toughest dungeon yet, and there is going to be a big dramatic boss fight at the top, and there will be some Dramatic Event - a heroic sacrifice, a villainous betrayal, a shocking revelation.  Think Nei vs. Neifirst in PS2, or Rudy losing his arm and showing he's a sorta-robot in WA1, or any of the 30 games where a villain pretends to be a party member for awhile only to stab you in the back at a key time.  Also, the heroes should probably lose here, because we need to have them on the run and an excuse for a Geth-esque antagonist group, so let the bad guys take over the tower.

Actual: Uh nothing happens?  The good guy resistance fighter compliments you on beating the evil up (but didn't summon it himself) and joins your party and you're told to go do a fetch quest in a haunted mine to get a power crystal.  There is no actual bad guy or real source of the problems at this tower.  You leave.  wut.

Fake-out big midgame dungeons where the shoe doesn't actually drop yet are fine, but this just comes across as lame after all the build-up.  This should be the Ocean Palace or something.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 02, 2018, 09:44:00 AM »
I admire your ability to have more expectations for the game's writing at that point than I did, because that whole sequence just rolled over me with no effect.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 02, 2018, 12:14:00 PM »
I want Snowfire to play a jRPG about housekeeping after all this, that's an amazing tendency to pre-write plots before they happen.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 02, 2018, 02:34:01 PM »
It's a giant mind control tower attacked by evil.  SOMETHING melodramatic should happen, damnit.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 02, 2018, 02:46:26 PM »
I'm almost at the end I believe. Rigel Castle is the only map that stands before me. I will probably backtrack to do a last series of weapon upgrades before proceeding. Thinking maybe upgrading the Royal Blade some more even though that hurts the rest of the party. The Steel Bow might also be worthwhile to make its Hit better. I'll take a look once I can get the party back to town.

The last couple of Alm maps I will say were uh...cute, but not exactly one his team will have a problem with. In fact, I had more problems with Rigel Falls than either of the forced map encounters. Last Bastion in particular...whoo boy. Warp tears that level a new hole. I had Alm just snipe out the Archers and Arcanist, which they made luring the other enemies to their death really easy. It's interesting in that Alm's late chapters seem to feel easier (because Royal Sword/Warp/Rescue) versus Celica who had an easier early game. Notably, the fortress map on Celica's side was much tougher (had 2 deaths there versus Alm's late game where the only death has been Forsyth getting a crit off 8% in the Falls). Probably because no one gets Warp/Rescue and they have to deal with a crap load of Cantors.

Also, I don't complain about FIRE EMBLEM PLOT a lot because I think the DL knows that it's usually generic (RD probably being the exception). However, I must make an exception here because Echoes plot is crazy. And I don't mean that in a good way. SPOILER ALERT here, so stop reading if you want to preserve that genuine FE storytelling.

The main characters sans Alm are all bat-shit insane with their motivations. Particularly, Celica, girl, what the actual fuck? Why are you listening to the crazy Duma priest who wants to eat your soul? Like, here's the thing for me. If Jedah sweet talked Celica into coming with him or if there was more insight into why Celica might do something so drastic, I can maybe, MAYBE buy into the decision to go with him. But everytime you meet Jedah, his speech is all like, "Mwahaha, come with me Celica and let me sacrifice your soul to our god so I can totally revive him and destroy the world" or "Mwahaha, Celica, that boy Alm will die and so will your friends for trespassing in this sacred temple". Exactly what motivation is there for Celica to trust him? The only explanation that might make sense is desperation, but again, the game doesn't earn this. Celica is steadfast in their mission to go to the tower to rescue Mila. It's not until towards the end of Act 4 that her party finds out that Mila basically committed suicide. And EVEN then Jedah is all, "Mwahaha, YOUR GOD ABANDONED YOU. JOIN ME, I WILL SAVE U". Surprisingly, I think having the Mila offing herself scene at the time of Mila's temple and then writing Jedah to be a bit less baby-eating would have gone LONG ways into making this all a bit easier to swallow. I'll second I think what most people have already mentioned, but to bring a comparison, if Eirika was high by giving Leon the stone, then Celica is flat out smashed on 20 different kinds of alcohol and high because this entire pilgrimage makes no sense. Watching this entire thing play out makes me so much more appreciative of villains like Palpatine, who despite the audience knows is evil, they spend great lengths to show how he is playing both sides and how he earns Anakin's trust.

Even some of the setting pieces make no sense. I think Snowfire's mentioned this before, but it bears repeating. The entire thing surrounding the Sluice is just ridiculous. If the gate only opens from a command coming from the royal family and all members of the royal family are dead, you mean to tell me that the Sluice Gate never opens? What. I imagine people from both sides of the continent will start a riot off something that dumb. Even better is that it's an old man guarding it. And the whole reason for this entire shtick is to subtly hint to Alm of Celica's lineage. The writing is just so so clunky. I'm not sure it can get much worse, but I get the feeling that it will.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 02:48:42 PM by Tide »
<@Claude> yahtzee