Author Topic: Good Morning 2018: 3 More Years...  (Read 5365 times)

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
Re: Good Morning 2018: 3 More Years...
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2018, 06:20:10 PM »
I'm really sorry, CK. That's a load of shit you're dealing with by yourself. I'm impressed you keep yourself going, you have an amazing amount of fortitude. I know you've been struggling with this fog, and things like it, for a long time. I'm glad you have moments where it lifts, even if they themselves are stressful and emotional. It's been nearly a week since you posted and I hope the fog has stayed out of the way in that time.

I am not trying to prescribe or compare or hijack with my own experience. I just recognized some of the places I've been in the past and thought I'd offer a piece of my map, so to speak. Tiny text for personal story time.

Speaking as someone who has personal experience with therapy, therapists, medication, and struggling to accept that anything could be solved by those things, I can definitely say that your experience is individual. General you. I have seen literally dozens of therapists and found 2 that really worked out, both of whom happened to be students with a finite end-point on our therapy relationship. My prescribing doctor is definitely not someone I trust, but he's the one with the prescription pad and it's helped to have the years and years of fighting with and for myself to tell him what I need rather than hope he can figure it out (he can't). That said, I am in group therapy and some of the people there have had success with their first touch in the system. Some are still in asynchronous treatment where both medication and therapy are called for but they're only getting one of them.

I struggled a lot with getting over my entrenched belief that this is just how I am, this is how I deserve to be, this is what it is, there's nothing I can do, even if I did it wouldn't matter. It took me some severe breakdowns to get to a place where I could at least put all those feelings aside and talk to someone. (It didn't work, so I had to do it three more times before it did, but so it goes sometimes.) The group therapy I'm in is rooted in DBT, dialectical behavior therapy, and it's been interesting. I resisted the hell out of it the first couple weeks I went, did it to appease the second therapist I've ever liked because she suggested if I didn't it was a sign to step back from therapy for a while because I wasn't ready to take treatment seriously, but despite the dumb worksheets and infantilizing acronyms it's really a great framework for someone like me, someone who craves a logical approach to the illogical.

I like that it is a meditative approach. The worksheets and the acronyms and the skills with their dumb names are built around principles meant to quiet the mind and allow for an analytical but accepting look at the crisis/stress/emotion/urgency that helps defuse their power and help you redirect your energy. The tools and skills DBT teaches help process those feelings and challenge them for a truth rooted in the universe. It's not the same as a universal truth because DBT holds that there isn't one, that everyone's experience is their own, but that sometimes the truths we tell ourselves are on flimsy foundations that become self-evident and collapse if we ask it directly, "Are you serving me? Is this helping me in the short term or the long term?" There's not so much a bad and good as there is helpful now (even if it's something like self-harm or withdrawal, because punishing ourselves still leads to a kind of helpful reinforcement while also holding on to all the destructive, short-term elements) vs helpful long-term. (n.b., I'm still new to this thing, but this is what I've taken from it so far)

If any part of that sounds like it could be helpful, I'm happy to help find more specific resources. That said, just about every aspect of DBT is available somewhere on the web for free, including variations that address specific diagnoses. DBT was ostensibly created for borderline personality disorder, but it's been really useful across a spectrum of concerns, including depression.

I'm glad you posted something, I'm glad you can at least talk about it with the DL, and I hope you know you always can.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2018, 09:20:43 PM »
To an extent, while my current seemingly-not-depressed state lasts I'm trying some other unrelated things, because well I'm not feeling depressed so I have no idea if anything is or isn't working.  That said, I've absolutely read most of anything you've ever posted on the topic, and while my fog experience only occasionally intersected things you described, the idea of aversion to a lot of meditative "break things down into smaller problems" is one I definitely feel, so I'll definitely keep this one in mind if the need arises.

Although due to various professional pressures, immediate stress is somethign I deal with very well:  "Okay, so we're completely fucked and everything is awful, but there's fuckall we can do about it except keep pushing through" is just... default state for most jobs I've had.  Future anxiety meanwhile makes me a crippled mess if I don't head it off somehow.

Right now though... I feel like I was doing some things akin to intentionally breaking my own leg, mentally.  So maybe that sense of "holy shit I'm actually able to move now" is temporary but... if I really have it pegged down maybe not.  But that's a whole other topic.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2018, 07:13:45 PM »
I don't know what to say or what I could possibly do to help, but I've always thought of you as one of my closest DL friends, CK, so I just wanted to say something here in response to all that. If you ever need something, you've got my support.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2018, 07:30:36 AM »
Decided to post about some non-gaming or internet going-ons I've experienced.  This is just a filtered selection.

- Took Tai Chi classes which is new for me.  Signed up for only one month to sample it.  It was OK.  Lack of social opportunity is the main reason I didn't continue for another month, cost being a minor factor at most.  Regard it mostly positively anyways.  Did the exercises the instructor gave me on faith.  It was the 3rd or 4th session before he taught me actual Tai Chi movements.  Inside, I just had a knowing smile.  I went through this filtering everything through a book titled "Mastery" so had the context to take things in stride.  Anyone who has seen the first "Karate Kid" might grasp at what I'm going for here.

- Did some private tutoring for a month.  I was hungry enough for some extra cash and there was a family friend willing to pay me to tutor math.  As far as jobs go, this one went better than most.  The kid I was tutoring was really good at grasping the material and I felt I succeeded at my primary objective of boosting confidence.

- Paying someone to make a custom cosplay is a new experience for me.  This particular character appealed to me enough and the outfit looked too intricate to be able to assemble from thrift store finds unlike a few others I've done.  I'm getting the friend discount and it still was a pricey outing.  Got it to a complete state for a convention though we still have some things we'd like to do before I'd call it finished.  It took a lot of safety pins to attach the costume to me.  As fun as it is to grumble about how the headpiece stays on, that was one of the easier parts that I was able to handle myself.  Also found out the hard way that I haven't had enough practice walking in platform sandals.  Talk about sacrificing for the art, ow ow ow.

Even with all the problems during the process, fact is I genuinely wanted this.  Without giving out exact numbers, I spent enough on the costume to have purchased a console and the game the character appears in.  And i still decided being the character (temporarily) mattered more than playing the game that the character appears in.  Got enough positive reception to feel satisfied.  With how much I spent, there will be more appearances.  So whether it's worth it is a question that is yet to be learned.  Did take a few months of hiatus where I made no further cosplay purchases.

Also have an idea for a joke FFT cosplay that I may finally start shopping around for the components.  Since this is a silly, joke costume, I'm most likely to find a cheap, decent wig on AliExpress or something similar since it's not worth the expense of a higher quality wig to me.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 07:10:22 PM by DragonKnight Zero »

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2018, 04:15:35 AM »
Just don't, you know, cut your nose off or anything drastic like that for the FFT cosplay!
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2018, 04:50:51 PM »
Toad will forever be abused from this day onward.  :'(

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2018, 05:55:53 PM »
These are the days Rule 34 really stings.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2018, 07:03:37 PM »
....what? What happened to Toad? Did I miss something? I missed something didn't I.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2018, 09:30:24 PM »
I wish I didn't know. I really wish I didn't know.

It isn't too late to save yourself! But if you feel irresistibly compelled to peer into this abyss, let me put it this way: apparently Stormy Daniels plays Mario Kart.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2018, 03:04:51 AM »
Scandal in the Mushroom Kingdom: Concealed Brothel

not over the existence of a brothel hidden from the public eye that is.  Rather the scandal is over charges of racism since it only caters to Toads.  "Koopas have needs too."

Unrelated thought: Hmm, wonder if there are noseless versions of those anime masks.  The ones that are freaky because they don't move like a real face.  Given the lack of personality in FFT characters, such a mask might fit thematically.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2018, 08:20:10 AM »
I definitely don't want to go diving head first into the abyss. I'd rather get the brief glimpse by hearing from people I trust what happened with Mario Kart instead of googling a name I've never heard of...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2018, 09:03:23 AM »
Google search for the below if you can’t work it out from the context clues it provides.

Stormy Daniels Mario Kart
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2018, 01:59:40 PM »
Got married over the weekend :). Huzzah!
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2018, 11:29:19 PM »
Congrats dude!
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2018, 03:32:13 PM »
Congratulations!  Wishing the very best for the both of you.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2018, 02:10:02 AM »
Congrats, Tide!

I knew you were engaged, but that seemed to sneak up on me. I don't even know how you met this person. Tell us stories~!

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2018, 05:15:36 AM »
Congrats, Tide!

I knew you were engaged, but that seemed to sneak up on me. I don't even know how you met this person. Tell us stories~!

Yeah, what he said!
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2018, 05:39:05 PM »
Got married over the weekend :). Huzzah!

Happy wishes!  Congrats man!

Now, you need a house, kids, and crippling depression to truly live out the American dream!*

*Note: may not actually be the American dream
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2018, 02:01:40 PM »
my work role has been made essentially redundant so i'm basically being politely told to fuck off in about a month

currently looking for work and hoping to regain employment soon

mom just left today after a 3 month visit

i'm trying very hard to stay strong and not break into a puddle of sad
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2018, 01:39:43 PM »
Our space and people in our lives change more than we would like, but I hope by this time you found something you can still hold on to. Sadness is not fun. But it's not the end. Hugs dear Trancey.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2018, 11:53:41 PM »
germany, austria and the netherlands really inculcated me to its ways. lufting my house out every morning no matter the temperature. air-drying my clothes. coffee after most meals. my oma bike has arrived, no more silly uncomfortable masculine roadbikes for me. i always wear watches now. what are sneakers i wear nice leather loafers now. all the lights in the house don't need to be on, what. i'm sorry, who doesn't compost and isn't anal about their recycling? i'm sorry, you buy your sauces and dressings? if your potatoes aren't dirty then they aren't potatoes. riesling bitte und kein anderes.

so.... I am flipping my shit to know that atlantic station here in ATLANTA DOES WEINACHTSMARKT. Well they call it Christkindl but it's a christmas market nonetheless and is bringing in vendors that sell all those adorable cute and well crafted christmas thingymabobers.

WURST.

GLÜHWEIN. DID I MENTION GLÜHWEIN?  :P

WURST. BRETZELN. VOLKSLIEDER.

so i'm still flipping out but i think i know where i'll be taking my dutch cycle to once or two times a week before new years.  have been having massive Germany withdrawals. really bad itch. can't wait to scratch.

#gluttonytil2019

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2018, 01:54:27 PM »
I started a new job a couple of weeks ago at block.one as a software engineer.

My new team has been really great and my social life has improved quite a bit - the culture being a bit more international is a big part of that.

Basically things have been going better since my last post here.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2018, 04:59:47 PM »
Glad to hear it