Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 465254 times)

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #1050 on: March 09, 2008, 11:04:30 PM »
I too am not mourning the death of wavedashing.  Then again, given it had no relevance in my life whatsoever (outside of the few times MC visited) I am neither cheering its demise.

That said, I'm somewhat enjoying Ash as a character, though the switch time not only feels a tad bit overlong, but seems to be the perfect time for someone to smash your poor replacement into oblivion.  Ike feels powerful, but slow, and different from Marth, or at least more so than Roy ever was.  And Ness...  will take some time to get used to, given he feels slightly different from before, and he's always been a finicky character to play.

And the final smashes, are less disruptive than I would have thought them to be.  Less so in terms of game balance, and more in terms of game flow.  They actually mesh in decently well with a minimum of disruption.

Also, while there is the issue of the controls feeling marginally off, I do love the fact that they have the characters say something through the Wii controller's speaker when you select them.

Finally, why is there not a friend code topic yet for this?

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: March 10, 2008, 12:14:22 AM »
Question to the Lufia 2 players: If I was going to redo the Lufia 2 stat topic for the PC's, where would you levels for the cast when they leave? All I remember is endgame (50), and that's recorded already. Rather like to have target levels for the cast since I can blow by the game in a tearin hurry if I'm not worried about fighting randoms.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: March 10, 2008, 01:00:16 AM »
If you try and stay around the level that you recruit people at then you should be fine.  I consider that slightly underlevelled for my play style, but I kill everything that moves and Lufia 2 is pretty clearly designed to have you dodge enemies.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: March 10, 2008, 01:22:38 AM »
Finally, why is there not a friend code topic yet for this?

I was going too but I remember like two people have access to Wifi so it doesn't matter.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: March 10, 2008, 01:23:39 AM »
Hmph.  Brawl.  Grumble grumble midterm grumble paper grumble one more week grumble grumble.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: March 10, 2008, 02:23:53 AM »
Ratchet and Clank: Beaten. I had a save from about half-way through, and since I was incapacitated this weekend, I took the time to rush through. Game is decent for what it was, but it wouldn't inspire me to get any more in the series.

Diamond: Victory Road wasn't too bad (if you ignore the HM requirements), and I'm finally at the League. Fought my rival, in a fight that was probably easier than it should have been. So I do the usual "spend all my money on healing and do a scouting run". And here's where I start to get pissed. First trainer is Bug, and I'm happy for that. My team matches up well, with an electric, a fire, a psychic, and two flying. And Dustox goes out in two Aerial Aces. Then comes Drapion. Who is apparently not a Bug type. And is Level 56. The first trainer of the Elite Four in D/P has a ****ing Level 56. After exhausting five of my six (due mostly to Full Restore and my insistance to not use items this time), out comes Vespiqueen for the kill. I lose $44 and go back, a little stronger and wiser.

Round 2 against Bug Boy goes very, VERY different. Raptor gets fully DTed in the Dustox fight, gets hit by AA and down to single digit HP, then Endeavor+Quick Attack saves the day again. His Heracross gets a lucky shot in by the end, but it doesn't matter. With 1 Pokemon down, I'm off to the second member of the Elite 4.

She's got a nifty scarf, and she's a Ground Trainer. She leads off with Quagsire, a good choice. And immediately begins DTing. And I don't have Haze. And my only ITE attack is on my KOed Pokemon. And she has a Full Restore. So I get swept, which really doesn't surprise me that much. And then she takes all my money. Not half. ALL. So my strategy of slowly slaughtering the first trainer and buying Full Restores and Revives in portions of 2 and 3 like I've done in every other game in the entire series is gone.

HATE. THIS ENDGAME. SO. MUCH. This may very well be my least favorite Pokemon game ever. (And yes, I know I'm lame and my team sucks and yadda yadda yadda. I just felt like a little rant.)

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: March 10, 2008, 02:51:05 AM »
SO2: marvel sword from a Treasure Chest!? didn't realize they were that broken.  Sayonara, rest of main game.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: March 10, 2008, 02:55:49 AM »
You can make treasure chests from clay (L5's when they start popping up), and you can of course reproduce all the top tier items you get. So if you're patient at all, you can fully equip your team with the best storeboughts in the game as soon as you get Celine.

Oh, make sure you grab the berserk rings (Claude makes em, check gamefaqs for the mineral it uses. I think from Ruby or Green Beryl) to double your offense, Might chains (Linigua mountain, Claude also can make em, check gamefaqs) to increase it by another 30%. Oh, you can get rare metals from Radar, so you should be able to grab a Mithril piece and start on armor.

I recommend going for Mithril Mesh (200 defense, almost everyone can use it) and Mithril Shields (Precis loves this, so does Claude).

If you're doing it right you should have Claude up to nearly 4000 attack by the time you can get Precis.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: March 10, 2008, 03:02:04 AM »
Not trying to make fun of you, Doma, but you seriously lost to Bertha?  Wow.  If you have *any* grass attack on your team, you win that match.  Her entire team is weak to it, three of them W4.

FF5 (Anthology version):  Playing FF3 made me want to play this again.  Just finished the Fire Palace, where I had a great run.  Got all the treasures, the Aero and Doom Claw Blue Magics, and still got out with two minutes to spare.

Current party is Faris the Sorceror (formerly Blue Mage), Reina the Knight (yay 2-hand!), Bartz the Monk, and Galuf the Thief.

And yes, Meep, Agility/Footwork only affects agility, not evasion.  Check the BMG.

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: March 10, 2008, 03:07:00 AM »
Brawl:

Subspace Emissary is SO. MUCH. FUN. I can't believe I managed to pull myself away from that. Wowwie.

Unlocked Captain Falcon. Did not play any Brawls, but I beat normal with Ike and Olimar. This game is either harder than the last one, or I'm adjusting to it rather slowly.

I also completed 20 solo events.

Thoughts:
Ike = <3. His power is borderline absurd. I guess his speed makes up for it, but this is a MANLY man.
Olimar is freakish. He can rack up a lot of damage by throwing all his pikmin at an enemy at once, but I dunno if this would work on harder difficulties or humans.
Link's up+B got nerfed. The range on it has gone from "Damn impressive!" to "Kinda pathetic" This makes me sad, because I instinctively do it when enemies are stunned within a certain distance, and I just... can't... hit them.
Mario has moved his corkscrew to Air Down+A which.... is not what I'm used to. I used that attack lots, so it's annoying to see the water jet there. (Is that even REMOTELY useful? It doesn't seem to launch far. Same with Squirtle.)

That's all my thoughts for now.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: March 10, 2008, 01:31:04 PM »
Pokemon posts > Smash Brothers posts.

And yeah listen to Super if you want to completely and totally smash the game to pieces Jim.  If you can make it through the mountains near cross for the Xain or whatever it is you fight for Ashton's quest and... I can't remember if they are a drop of if it requires that skill which lets you find items in the field (use some reject character for it) and you can get Orichalcums early and get Barrier armours early which I prefer to Mithril Mesh.

Berserk ring is Ruby (Super fails for not memorising this).

Piercing Swords on AI and Chaos Sword both >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Super.

Edit - Fuck it, I want to play SO2 again to much, time to put it on PSP.  Looks like I didn't out last the announcement either way if the remake would make it to English.

Edit 2 - GLKASDJF:LKSDF DAMMIT that's right Super already tried and it doesn't frelling work.  WANT.  NOW.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 02:33:58 PM by Grefter »

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: March 10, 2008, 02:13:49 PM »
Sekaijuu no Meikyuu 2 - aka Etrian Odyssey 2. Fun grindan times. Still stuck on the 3F where they decided to put the SAME Stalker room /again/. Annoying little...

Soma Bringer - A bunch of people and more asked me to try this game for them, so I did. I feel like a playtester all of a sudden. Seems like it'd be a pain to completely finish, though... Seriously, I just started 'n all, and it seems pretty interesting. The gameplay is also quite interesting. An action RPG where there is barely any actual combo!
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: March 10, 2008, 02:51:07 PM »
Pokemon posts > Smash Brothers posts.

And yeah listen to Super if you want to completely and totally smash the game to pieces Jim.  If you can make it through the mountains near cross for the Xain or whatever it is you fight for Ashton's quest and... I can't remember if they are a drop of if it requires that skill which lets you find items in the field (use some reject character for it) and you can get Orichalcums early and get Barrier armours early which I prefer to Mithril Mesh.

Berserk ring is Ruby (Super fails for not memorising this).

Piercing Swords on AI and Chaos Sword both >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Super.

Edit - Fuck it, I want to play SO2 again to much, time to put it on PSP.  Looks like I didn't out last the announcement either way if the remake would make it to English.

Edit 2 - GLKASDJF:LKSDF DAMMIT that's right Super already tried and it doesn't frelling work.  WANT.  NOW.

Barrier armor is vastly inferior to Mithril mesh on the defense front, though yes that's an option.  *Smacks* I mentioned berserk rings, minion.Besides you can make the two metals you get from the desert.

Gref: I got SO2 to work on the PSP. 
-------------------

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: March 10, 2008, 03:23:08 PM »
You mentioned it and couldn't remember the metal type (Green Beryl is easier to get early on but is... pretty meh for what you can get).

I should probably get NTSC copy of it or something then or get a newer version of the popsloader tools.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: March 10, 2008, 04:00:51 PM »
NTSC is what worked, yeah.

Green Beryl and Ruby both become storebought at the same time, Gref. And the Green Beryl nets you the Fairy ring (1/2 MP costs, Claude) which is pretty awesome. Oh, you can also steal a Berserk ring in Clik from the angry sailor. Clik has lots of good stuff to steal in general.

Green Beryl is Might Chain and Fairy Ring, Ruby is the Berserk ring. All three are awesome accessories so they both win.
-------------------

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: March 10, 2008, 11:17:38 PM »
SO3: Up to the Urssa Lava Ruins. ARGH. That temple made me nearly claw my ears off. I kept messing up the damn tunes on the flute regardless of what timing system I used and fought waaaay too much. Starting to get depleted on items again. It's like the Kaddan Temple all over again. Now in the Ruins I don't seem to be doing too well against the enemies despite being pretty overleveled. Ice Blade and stuff doesn't seem to help cause of the MP damage the enemies like to do. Guess I can take a look at a FAQ now that I'm at work, at least.

Edit: Since the FAQs don't seem to tell me, whats a good level to be at for this point anyway?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 12:20:31 AM by Hunter Sopko »

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: March 11, 2008, 12:56:06 AM »
*shrug* I don't like Grass-types, and I haven't had one in my party for a while now. Like I said, I know my team sucks, but whatever. Oh, and I found my Quagsire killer... it's Bibarel. He ignores Quag's DTs and 4HKOs him at this point with Surf.

Anyway, my current team (a fair bit stronger than the first time since I've done some runthroughs on Aaron):
Raptor (Staraptor, L 48, Double Team, Endeavor, Quick Attack, Aerial Ace)
Firemonkey (Infernape, L 49, Close Combat, Mach Punch, Flame Wheel, Torment)
Bibarel (L 49, Strength, Rock Smash, Surf, Waterfall)
Worker 8 (Bronzong, L 50, Future Sight, Faint Attack, Extrasensory, Confuse Ray)
Cromage (Crobat, L 50, Wing Attack, Confuse Ray, Poison Fang, Bite)
Luxray (L 52, Crunch, Spark, Charge, Bite)

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: March 11, 2008, 01:31:03 AM »
SO2: I'm going with the Barrier armors for now.  not enough skill points or time to waste on Radar, and I've got Ernest and a Battle Suit in any case.  I was never much one for needing all the best everything in SO2, really.  It is a game that, more than any other, perhaps, will drive you crazy if you think like a completist (must...get...Rena PA on Nede where you must have recruited Opera but not Ernest and Claude and Opera must have high romantic compatibility! argh! yeah, no).  But damn is this game fun for wailin' on guys.  I don't know of many video game experiences more viscerally satisfying than close-range Ripper Blasting some fool in the FACE!
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: March 11, 2008, 01:40:28 AM »
Edit: Since the FAQs don't seem to tell me, whats a good level to be at for this point anyway?

Levels hardly matter except for techs and durability. Depends on your party setup of course, but as long as you have at least Side Kick learned you're set for that part.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: March 11, 2008, 01:50:43 AM »
Fire Emblem 4: Finished. Narga and its stat boosts mock puny Julius, reducing his 60 effective attack power down to 13 with less than a 50% chance to hit. Overall, with the exception of Ishtar (who is pretty much certain to reach one of your units by staying in the back of your squad. She also has very good magic, a great weapon, and 180+ hit. Yeah.), the final map wasn't too bad. Ended up using people with legendaries + Aira's kids + Fee + Delmud + healers. Keeping Julia alive is a bit of a bother but a horse can play hide and seek with her in the forest and she doesn't hit Aless very hard.

Overall, the game was definitely different from the GBA FEs, with most of the changes being things I really did like (limited arena/chapter, skills, longer chapters but less of them). On the other hand, the inventory system is a pain and not being able to trade gold freely is immensely annoying. Pairings might have angered me more, but all of the ones I wanted were predestined and thus easy to get. Balance and polish don't exist at all. Axes are beyond worthless, spears are less worthless but not as good as swords, and swords own everything due to being far lighter; it is the same with magic, where Wind deals the same damage as Lightning and Fire but is like 10 weight lighter and autocrits fliers. Good ideas with bad execution probably combine for a 4/10 game~

Gen 1 Unit Analysis:

Sigurd: Being promoted to start with helps you out of tight spots, and despite his apparent jeiganness he is still largely worth using. He also gets a nice legendary weapon late. Excellent skills, too, most notably Pursuit (lets you GBA FE double if your speed is even 1 point higher).
Noish: Cavalier without Pursuit. Has other offensive skills which are not as useful as Pursuit. Goodbye. (benched after C1)
Alec: Actually has Pursuit so he can hit pretty well. Awareness stops skills, which is good to deal with enemy Aira Meteor Sword and that guy with a Horseslayer in C2. Should probably have been used more but meh. (benched after C2).
Ardan: Guards the castle. Can do absolutely nothing else, Armor Knights fail beyond reason in this game. (benched pretty much permanently)
Lex: It's an axeman! So that means he fails, right? Not exactly. He is on a horse, has early access to a Hero (Brave) Axe so he hits twice anyway, and his defenses are awesomeness. Can also pass down Elite (EXP gain up) to kids, which is just sexy.
Azel: Mage with Pursuit. Only way to hit res for a while and he isn't bad otherwise.
Midir: Generally average horse archer, but can pick up a Hero Bow to make him pretty decent.
Dew: Thief who starts off awful but who apparently becomes good if you use him. I didn't, but he holds his own in C1 pretty well mocking axemen from forests. Also monies.
Aideen: Standard useful healer. Also hands Brigid the shiny Ichival~
Aira: Is a FE swordmaster and a great one. Meteor Sword (5 straight physicals) pretty much kills anything when it activates, and combined with the typical swordmaster speed and skill makes her a contender for Gen 1 MVP.
Jamka: Immensely awesome. Pursuit + Continue (%Skill chance of attacking again) + Charge (chance to fight another round) + starting Killer Bow means things die, and he has the stats to back all of this up.
Lachesis: Princessy healer. Also apparently promotes to awesomeness, but I didn't get her there, which is unfortunate.
Beowulf: Very solid Free Knight with Pursuit + excellent stats. Constant frontliner.
Fury: Decent peg. Lacks strength, but can fly and Pursuit + kickass speed makes that not matter anyway.
Levin: Obscene. No Pursuit, but Continue + Elwind allows for potentially heavy damage while being insanely evasive. Then he gets Holsety and is suddenly unhittable by, uh, everything. Contender for Gen 1 MVP.
Sylvia: Dancer. Dancing is AOE in this game so it owns fairly hard. Prayer (evasion boost at low HP) means she might actually be able to go near the front.
Claude: Awesome promoted healer with AOE healing. Also REVIVAL of all things, even if one-shot.
Tiltyu: Outshadowed by Levin pretty horribly, there's not a lot of reason to use her. Crit below half HP is nice, but it's not enough. (benched after C3)
Brigid: Starts off pretty decent as a promoted Sniper. Then she gets the Ichival from Aideen and proceeds to completely waste what gets shot by it. <3.
Deirdre: Silences the C1 boss. That is literally all she does.
Ethlin: Mounted healer who can squeeze out offense with a Light Sword. Would probably have been used to the end of Gen 1 except for leaving.
Cuan: Don't remember him much except for the legendary he gets...1/4 of a chapter before he leaves. Kind of wasted potential.
Fin: Seemed more solid than Cuan, and gets a Hero Lance to play with. Probably would have ended up nicely enough.

Gen 2 Unit Analysis:

Celice
: Lousy start, great finish. Ends up on a horse and being a complete magic tank with the Tyrfing, with nice damage + leadership boosts.
Lana: Is a priest who does priest things.
Delmud: Great Free Knight, but generally felt relatively worse than Beowulf for obvious reasons.
Julia: Kills Julius, and can tank earlier maps with Rezire. Very effective unit, and of course Narga is sick and wrong.
Lester: Horrible. Hero Bow didn't save his bad durability, and he was useless for C7 (got OHKOed). Bad growth in general.
Lakche: TANK SWORDMASTER. Ended up laughing at enemy physicals (go 2 damage Javelins) IF they hit, which they pretty much never did. Starting with that Hero Sword only let her shred the game into pieces that much more effectively, especially with Meteor Sword off of 30 Skill. Comparable to people with legendaries, which is just scary.
Skasaha: Worse than Lakche in every way, which means he is an evasive and hard hitting Swordmaster who is great all around. Too bad I couldn't hand him down a sword, though.
Oifaye: Not a bad Jeigan but pretty much everyone is better than he is.
Johan: Lex without everything that made Lex usable, and in a gen where there exist far better options. But he came with a free Speed Ring, at least~
Fee: Badass. Low strength is made up for by capped speed + flying + Pursuit/Continue/Critical. Excellent village saver and defensive unit in general.
Arthur: Alright early mage, but he wishes Sety did not exist. Never felt crucial at all.
Shanan: Worse than Lakche in every way but gets a legendary so you can say goodbye to hitting him at all while he murders you.
Patty: Beyond worthless. Starting Sleep Sword is neat in theory, but when you start in an enemy infested area the 2 evade you end up having is not great. Starting at L1 doesn't help this either.
Tinny: Tiltyu Mk. II.
Nanna: Parasitic healing, leadership, staves, she has it all...except for some of the worst durability ever, which doesn't help due to the way the game throws enemies at you. Not overly useful.
Leaf: Promotes to awesomeness but I found it hard to use him before then, so he didn't really get a lot of time to BE awesome.
Fin: Is Fin but this generation is far more awesome than the last one. Ends up not needed.
Aress: Gets a legendary so is automatically good. Being able to tank magic helps immensely in the last chapter, and he shows up pretty early in gen 2.
Leen: Sylvia Mk. II
Faval: Comes with the Ichival, so he deals death to grunts and fliers. Middle of the road as far as legendary weapon users go, though.
Sety: Levin Mk. II...with Pursuit, Critical, and even better speed. Ow. Gen 2 MVP.
Althena: Gae Bolg hits incredibly hard and makes her the physical tank from hell. Too bad she has typical Wyvern Rider res. Worst legendary user.
(still solid)
Corple: Worse Claude in all regards, but can revive and you will need it.
Hannibal: Is actually not a bad castle guard, but he will never get anywhere in enough time to do anything else.
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: March 11, 2008, 02:06:11 AM »

Levels hardly matter except for techs and durability. Depends on your party setup of course, but as long as you have at least Side Kick learned you're set for that part.

I have it learned, I just haven't used it ever. Weak -> Blade of Fury -> Shotgun Blast has just been utterly unfair to everything.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: March 11, 2008, 02:40:58 AM »
YsII-In Salmon Shrine. Where's the boss in that one part of the dungeon? The only FAQ just says the 'main building' but I've been all over the place and haven't found shit. Level 38 right now, with all the good equipment and stuff. Funny how money is now completely worthless except for buying an Elixer.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: March 11, 2008, 04:13:21 AM »
SotN: Got to the second castle!
...then went back, fought Richter without killing the sphere to see the second worst ending.  Then beat him again the right way after finding the hidden path that I realized I miss (apparently, I had 95% of the first castle explored before Richter <_<), THEN finally made a proper save in the second castle.

Anyway, no clue how long this part will take me or something.

OS: Up to Velvet 6.  Repetitive game is repetitive.  I just want it over with!
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1073 on: March 11, 2008, 05:20:11 AM »
SSBB- Ness is much better in this version. His attacks have much better damage and knockback, his bat hits harder (and gets bonus damage for using the sweet spot at the end) PK Flash charges faster, and PK Thunder has a tighter turning radius. All in all he's still not as good as his SSB64 version, but very few characters in anything are.

Ike is surprisingly good now. 1 on 1 he's still kind of gimp, but in a free-for-all his reach and strength make him a good option, and on a team? Meta-Knight or Sonic and Ike would ridiculous. Aether is awesome for edge-hogging, having used it repeatedly to throw at someone hanging off the edge, which knocks THEM off and lets me grab it, to boot.

Lucas seems good, but I'm not liking his aerial PK Fire, which was one of my go-to moves for Ness. PK Freeze seems different than Flash... not sure if I like it more or less. His Up Smash is fucking dynamite.

Mario got a big fat nerf on his recovery. Cape goes less far, the screwdriver can't be used to go upwards.

Captain Falcon's knee is not near as good, but the ability to turn your Falcon Punch around in mid-punch almost makes up for it.

Donkey Kong... pretty much the same, except his Donkey Punch charges faster, I think.

R.O.B. has insane recovery. If you run out of his seven-second rocket booster jump (!) you can use his back air to push yourself forward while switching to down-air to slow your fall. Despite his floaty jumps, he seems pretty good, mostly based on his aerial game and his ability to bounce his eye lasers.

That's everyone I've played so far.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: March 11, 2008, 06:03:39 AM »
Brawl!

I like~

Here are some of my thought on the characters.

Oldies:

Mario - Down B is lame. All it is is a knock back? It pushes you, really? I mean, REALLY?

Donkey Kong - The same.

Falcon - Seems much more easier for me to use in tis game then in Melee.

Peach - Down A got nerfed. Yipee!

Shiek - What did they do to you!?!? *cries* I have to re-learn how to play as her now. She is like entirely different despite have all the same moves. >_>

Luigi - Still the man. Down B is a viable save move now, well it works with the others now. He is still the taunt master.

Bowser - Better then before! Does that mean he is good? No, but he's better!

Link - I never was a Link fan, his up B lost some range, which sucks.

Ganon - Super slow, I won't bother with him.

Marth - Lost some range with his sword, but he still has a damn tip shot.

Fox - Still awesome and now he can spam his reflector in the air, win.

Pikachu - Damn pokemon. Will any of you be good for me to use?

Samus - Win. Screw attack works slower, and me likey.

Yoshi - Not a fan.

Ness - Better then he was in Melee as far as I can tell.

Kirby - Has some smash moves now! He might be good again. Maybe not though.

Jigglypuff - Seems exact;y the same, dunno.

IC - I hate them, but they seem good.

Falco - He plays almost entirely different. This annoyed my friend who use to main with him.

~

Fun game. I only have two days worth of experience on it, so who knows what will change.

I don't know who fits my fighting style the best in this game, but as of now I am liking Sonic a lot.

Also, final smashes are lame.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion