Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 473367 times)

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #1350 on: April 09, 2008, 06:12:14 PM »
I swear, only Rob can post praise about a game and cause my interest in it to drop.

Go polish Fire Emblem's knob some more. If I'd talked about doing basic math and then getting randomly punished for playing the game, you'd probably worship it as a fucking god.

SO! Number 3 ranking battle in No More Heroes involved me murdering a homeless old lady with a shopping cart in a post-apocalyptic city. Her shopping cart turns in to a nuclear-powered Kamehamwhatever gun. The introductory scene was awesome, particularly where the dude got shot with it and exploded like a balloon full of ketchup.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 06:19:32 PM by Rob the Stampede »

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: April 09, 2008, 06:36:02 PM »
Heroes 3: It is very possible to lose a game before Week 1 ends. Secondly, drawing Inferno is the surefire way to be sent down into a spiral of depression and failure.

Are you using the shit-ass random scenario generator?

I hear tell that the best way to manage Inferno is to get Efreets ASAP and hope for the best, but yeah. I find them pretty horrible myself.

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: April 09, 2008, 06:55:14 PM »
Heroes 3: It is very possible to lose a game before Week 1 ends. Secondly, drawing Inferno is the surefire way to be sent down into a spiral of depression and failure.

Are you using the shit-ass random scenario generator?

I hear tell that the best way to manage Inferno is to get Efreets ASAP and hope for the best, but yeah. I find them pretty horrible myself.

Random maps in some hot 2-player action. It's not impossible to have a S size map to be decided on week 1. (helped that the city had no defenders)

And the best way to play Inferno is to scout the map for a non-Inferno town.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: April 09, 2008, 08:22:04 PM »
Well, excuse me for preferring a game where you have to think (and do math lol) to

murdering a homeless old lady with a shopping cart in a post-apocalyptic city

Incidentally, I'm not ruling out the fact that the game might in fact be good. Rather, I'm amused by the fact that you seem to be focussing on things that make it sound terrible to me, i.e. that it sounds like it is aimed at horny teenagers who want to blow things up.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: April 09, 2008, 08:58:02 PM »

I've been unable to find my original copy of the game (Heroes of Might and Magic 3) when I was at home - where might I be able to find another copy of it on the 'net?  Of the free type?
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: April 09, 2008, 10:47:17 PM »
Yeah, random maps in Heroes 3 are pretty much guaranteed to be in favor of someone, the values assigned to certain things for the balancing algorithm make no sense at all and it's easy to get blocked off or left wide open and wait you guys aren't even picking your towns? What the hell?

OK: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=zfh7zqh2
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 10:50:10 PM by Monkeyfinger »

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: April 10, 2008, 02:32:30 AM »
Yeah, random maps in Heroes 3 are pretty much guaranteed to be in favor of someone, the values assigned to certain things for the balancing algorithm make no sense at all and it's easy to get blocked off or left wide open and wait you guys aren't even picking your towns? What the hell?

OK: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=zfh7zqh2

Indeed, we have gone random. In all of two games I've had with Tonfa, BOTH random maps were in favour of Tonfa. Although he drew that pisspoor Inferno, he managed to find a random Fortress town in the middle of nowhere, and I was stuck with a shitload of loot only. ...Hmm, I wonder. Yes, random maps make no sense at all .___. One of the only reasons we chose random is because we couldn't agree on a map. Or rather :effort:.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: April 10, 2008, 03:00:04 AM »
FM4: We have confirmed villain death, so I must be making progress. Yep, Menacing Bald German Guy committed seppuku after suffering ignominious defeat, as expected. Anyway, people are starting to max out their innate skills (just Zead and Latona so far, but others are close), so I guess I should be looking into computer skills. Eh. New gear comes first, though, and I don't usually have much cash left over afterwards.

So, this HoMM3 is...vaguely Civilization-like, or what?

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: April 10, 2008, 03:18:27 AM »
Turn-based fantasy strategy game.  GFs has an ok few FAQS for it.  Basically, each player starts in a town, one of eight different types (Tower, Castle, Rampart, etc.).  Different units, spells, heroes are available at each one.  Players move throughout the map with different heroes, collecting resource, beating up opponents, etc.  Fun little old game.

And thanks, Monkey!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: April 10, 2008, 05:17:59 AM »
FFX - Whee, Sonic Steel.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: April 10, 2008, 06:15:56 AM »
Crisis Core Final Fantasy 7: Completed!

Spoilers and such below!  Note that despite the game being a prequel of FF7, and its YET ANOTHER FF7 SPIN OFF, Crisis Core actually has a coherently written plot for the most part that can be spoiled and such, so yeah, this is actually needed.

Ok...where to start.  Well, I guess the gameplay is as good a place as ever <_<

Crisis Core takes your standard Star Ocean game, and splices it with a Solo RPG.  This actually works out pretty well.  Like Parasite Eve (automatic response when I think of "Decent Solo RPG"), the game gives you a character with lots of customizability, lots of interesting options to work with (instead of just "build stats, spam this command!" you actually have a bunch of interesting kinds of moves to work with, most of them generally worthwhile!), and enemies are well balanced for a solo RPG.  Some enemies have big uber attacks that could kill you...if you aren't set up properly.  All big scary moves have obvious charge times and their name listed before the attack, long enough to give you time to heal.  Yes, some moves can do more damage than your HP...but you should, at all times, either have some HP increasing Materia on, which is usually enough, or (M)Barrier Materia on (does Wall exist? I'd assume it does and I just never got it.)  Some cases, you can survive on dumb luck if you get lucky with the DMW!

Actually, the DMW was a nice touch.  Instead of forcing you into a Hack, Slash, Blast enemies, the game hands you random bonuses throughout.  Normally, slot type systems have an obvious penalty...but not Crisis Core.  Its purely beneficial, and constantly active.  Some of these bonuses are cheap as hell, granted, but you don't rely on them as either they'll wear off before you realize it, thus get a beating, or they don't come and you get something lesser...if anything at all.  But a nice touch.  The way limits were handled were fun too.  Though the SP system needed to matter more...maybe if I abused Materia fusions a bit more <_<?  Whatever, probably just an incentive to not early game power level as I guess you could easily run out there if you prolong fights. 

Game's a bit too easy, though sounds like Missions are what causes that.  Hard Mode might change that, granted, so I should give that a whirl.  I also assume some of the higher level missions are genuinely hard as well.

As far as actual options go?  You have a max of 6 Materia Slots (and all the same kind of Materia but Summon, which is passive and ever present once you get them, exist.  Support Materia, mind, was changed to "links to all equipped Materia at the moment" to compensate for less slots...granted, Support is by far the lowest amount, but then again, things like All or Added Cut just don't mesh with the system.), and 4 Accessory slots.  Accessories are primarily stat boosts, which are significant mind (+10 Defense in Crisis Core is more noticeable a boost than the Tough Ring gives in FF7...but this says more about FF7's defenses.)  Materia...is very varied.  Command Materia give you all kind of neat options that are like Grandia Physical techs in running off a secondary MP stat, and even just the difference between Fire, Ice and Thunder spells were drastic (not only elemental, but Fire was clearly your basic projectile, hitting more times each version, Ice hit hard...but was a pain in the ass to use, Thunder was quick short range shot that has piercing, generally weaker than the other two.)

Though, you could stock up on items a lot easily, healing Materia felt unnecessary at times.  Potions in this game heal about 30% of your MHP, instead of the usual fixed value, and such.  Then again, having to scroll through items is harder than simply clicking Cure, and healing with that, so that's an advantage there.

...I could go on about the game play, but...yeah, there's a lot to it.  It was just handled very well, and succeeded at the one thing that's outright a must, as far as I'm concerned, for a Solo RPG to truly work, that being your main character has to have plenty of options to work with (you have one character, you wanna be able to customize them to hell. Most games, sadly, try to get away with this by simply doing something like "apply your limited skillset!" or "decide your method of stat ups!" like Sword of Mana.), and Crisis Core had plenty of options and most of them were actually interesting and worthwhile.  Game never felt really bland as a result.

Now, moving on...

Setting was decent.  Take the Final Fantasy 7 world, back up 7 years, and be part of Shinra on the inside.  Finally we get to see actually some inner workings of Shinra, rather than just "evil corrupt corporation that rules most of the world!" and stuff gets cleared up.  Actually being able to compare the Slums directly to the city above the plate was nice.  FF7, you got to see very little of that; Crisis Core, you can actively go to the Sector 5 Slums and the Sector 8 Plate.  Speaking of Sector 5, the game did an excellent job of portraying the areas we already saw in FF7.  Everything was really consistent with FF7's layout, instead of adding more random BS around it, then you come up to the area you're familiar with purely for an "OMG I REMEMBER THAT!" scene.  No, it just said "Yeah, that's all there is to it! Its an RPG, we can't be realistic damn it!"  Even minor things details were kept.  It was something that made me say "wow, they actually did their homework for this game!"  The one thing that was changed, though I can see why, was the Nibelheim Reactor.  Granted, didn't really matter in the grand scheme of things; all it did was change the scenery of where Cloud throws Sephiroth into the Lifestream (yay for Deretconning! *punts Last Order*); by this I mean he did it in the Jenova Room, instead of the large bridge.  It still worked due to the way they altered the layout of the reactor, and probably was a bit more sensible a design ("Uh, ok, so how are we going to build this?" "I know! Lets have a LARGE BRIDGE, with pipes you have to climb down to ANOTHER large bridge, with no handles, hovering over a pool of Mako (which remember is poisonous and probably has fumes!), that leads to a large room perfect for random pods!" "...BRILLIANT"!) at that.  Granted, that's minor; all that mattered there, as far as I was concerned, was that Sephiroth got tossed into the Mako, not JUMPING IN THERE ON HIS OWN ACCORD...did I mention Last Order needs punting?  The added "Sephiroth gets electrocuted cause he conveniently got tossed into a live wire!" touch was silly, but obviously tossed in for random dramatical effect...and for all I know, that may have been in FF7 and I'm not remembering (I just remember Sephiroth hits the wall, or a pipe near the wall, and goes falling in...eh, not important one way or another)

Also did a good job of portraying SOLDIERS as being the actual badasses FF7 hyped them as.  As I said once before, a good way to show them:
3rd Class: Above average fighting capabilities and all that, but nothing really worth noting.
2nd Class: They're capable fighters, strong enough to take out fairly sized groups, and last a while in battle, but their abilities are still conceivable.
1st Class: Complete freaks of nature who can take down waves of grunts, and still want more, complete with pulling off usual Shonen Physics Defying feats.

FF7 never felt like they actually portrayed that well; all we had to work with was Sephiroth (who the booklet says "The best of the Elite" so that doesn't really say much about anything barring himself), and Cloud who...wasn't really one.  Also Cloud's line of "if we were fighting any, we wouldn't be here!"  Granted, that line Cloud says now holds far more water, having seen just what 1st Class actually requires (also made it clear that 1st Class is...very elusive.  We see only 4 of them in the game, and based on other minor hints, it sounds like those are the only four at the time.)

The plot was surprisingly not bad.  I figured it'd just be filler to lead up to the Nibelheim sequence, and the lack of retconning to me meant "so random useless nonsense that doesn't contradict with FF7, but also DOESN'T MATTER."  Wasn't the case; they tried to weave it into FF7's story some, by explaining some things with a bit more light, in addition to it being its own story.  Generally worked cause the way they worked it in didn't feel forced either.  Well, ok, I suppose Genisis abrupt appearance in the Nibelheim Reactor was a bit weird, but...it fit the theme of the game, and was mostly filling in a gap that was originally a scene fade out (happens just after Sephiroth throws that little "What the hell am I?" thing in the Pod room, right before the Shinra Mansion stuff, if you care.)   The way it starts off with the Wutai War, then segues into actually explaining the Jenova Project more than just "Project using Jenova's cells to create Super Soldiers!", and then ends with Zack basically resolving things (or at least, so he thought; from his perspective, Sephiroth was dead having been tossed into the Lifestream <_<), then going out with a bang right as he reaches Midgar...yeah, it flowed nicely.
No, its not an amazing plot, but it was enjoyable enough.  The fact that its related to FF7 actually helped it, in this case, as it as a stand alone plot isn't much, but with the FF7 connection, makes you wonder how things are going to connect, and it generally didn't fail at connecting things.

Also, the game has one of the best endings I've ever seen.  THIS IS DESPITE KNOWING EXACTLY HOW THE GAME WAS GOING TO END (Zack dies OMG?)  Just really pulled off the emotions damned well in that scene.  Normally, when a main character dies and becomes a martyr, the reaction is generally "oh, how sad." in a very superficial sense.  But Zack's death was turned into something that was actually genuinely sad.  The build up to it, the stuff surrounding it...yeah...

ONTO CHARACTERS!
...in the next post to avoid glitching.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: April 10, 2008, 06:16:10 AM »
Might as well do this in a one by one style.

Zack: Is awesome.  An improved Tidus without the whining, whose character was aiming at something a bit different for development ...and I LIKED Tidus.  Just a really likable guy, and he never once compromises his beliefs or dreams.  He makes a commitment, and does his best to stand by it.  I was very happy that they completely redid Zack's death.  FF7 did a superficial job of it...which is fine; Zack was a minor, pure back story character, and the actual scene wasn't important, it was just there to say "This is why Zack isn't around, and this is how Cloud got to Midgar holding Zack's sword!"  But in Crisis Core? It'd have been one of the biggest kick in the balls.  Here we have a character who has proven himself MANY TIMES to be this really capable fighter, so much that he single handedly takes down a guy who probably wasn't that far away from Sephiroth in terms of power, single handedly fights off large scale mechs, and groups of clones with receiving minor scratches at best...yeah.  Game even shows his fight with Sephiroth being not as one sided as FF7 made it out to be (as in, Zack actually is able to hold up to Sephiroth for a noteworthy amount of time, before ultimately being overpowered)...yeah.  The FF7 version of the scene being "2 Soldiers get a lucky shot on Zack, and he just dies...oh look, Cloud takes his sword!" would just ruin everything.  Zack was just really well done, and one of the best Main Characters I've seen.
Some other nice things about him? He avoids a bunch of annoying RPG cliches, for starters, if minor ones.  For example, when Angeal dies, normally you expect the character to go into this big brooding state for a while, question his existence, etc.; the usual stuff that happens when you're forced to kill someone whose really close to you.  Zack? He mourns a bit, but then just feels MORE motivated to do what he was.  He did have an emo moment of "Am I completely incapable of saving anyone?" but that felt more like it was just building up for the ending where he goes all out just to insure that, if nothing else, Cloud survives.

Angeal: Starts off good, no denying that.  He's your usual tough Bad Ass Mentor that the main looks up to...though, a few things Angeal did differently than them was he did little to actually put down Zack, and had an actual sense of humor and personality.  This is shown pretty early when he talks to Zack about Dumbapples, you think he's going to then apply this to Zack's life somehow, Zack questions why he told him about that, Angeal simply responds "No story is not worth hearing!" and walks away chuckling, just to pull Zack's arm a bit, and showed them as being more friendly relationship instead of strictly mentor/student one (...for all that I know exactly what Niu's thinking <_<)  After that though? Well, suppose he worked for his role.  Character that, like Zack is eventually put to, forced into a situation where his beliefs and dreams are put to the test...and ended up being unable to endure them, take the pressure, had to take compromise after compromise, etc.  I suppose he worked, but felt like he could have had more done with him. 

Sephiroth: HOLY SHIT HE HAS PERSONALITY AND IS NOT A TOTAL WANKER!  Sephiroth was actually pretty cool and surprising.  A lot friendlier than you'd think, more personable, more open about himself, what have you.  Makes total sense how he and Zack ended up being friends, and makes Sephiroth's little psycho madness stunt mean that much more, as it was him losing someone who he genuinely trusted.  At the same time, though?  Sephiroth's stunt felt off.  This was noticeably poor writing.  Sephiroth was very much a cool headed, calm, collected character; someone who was not mentally unstable in the least.  He even showed himself as thinking rationally in clearly tense situations.  Heck, even the extra scene with Genisis after Seph starts questioning his existence felt like it was merely just preliminary to his eventual break down ("Whether you're lying just to get me to help you, or you're telling the truth makes no difference to me!" and then he blows off Genisis again)...but it was undermined that Sephiroth still did the whole "reads books -> *insert rest of story here that you all know by now*"  Other than his conclusion, I actually liked Sephiroth in this game; note that I am not one to have much love for Sephiroth either, so it says something that I ended up liking him here.

Tseng: Finally gave him actual depth!  FF7 he could be summed up in two lines:
Leader of the Turks
Is obsessed with Aeris.
Crisis Core actually built upon both those points, making an actual character out of that.  Hard to explain, but he genuinely worked.  Also explained why he's so obsessed with Aeris in a way that's not quite stalkerific (promises Zack to keep Aeris safe and such.)

Genisis: POETRY!!! Otherwise? Take Kuja in the last parts of FF9 (basically everything after Garland says "You are going to die!"), and make that the main villain throughout the game.  One thing he gets credit for is NOT making a whole world wide catastrophe out of things like many games do.  His actions were pretty much under the radar of most the world.  Only Shinra, primarily SOLDIER and the Turks, really knew anything about it, and eventually, it was purely Zack vs. Genisis.  That's one of the problems with most RPG villains; they have to take everything global.  Genisis never did that;  yeah, he attacks Junon and such, but they weren't "attacking for the sake of attacking!"  Junon, for example, was him looking for Hollander, someone who could actually help him.  Maybe I'm forgetting some plot details, but Genisis kept things to a microcosm, so when Zack and him finally fight, and Zack stops his little crusade, Zack's feats are unheard of to EVERYONE.  Also, his reasons for going after Genisis wasn't usual either.  Normally, Villain vs. Hero is eventually just "HE MUST BE STOPPED CAUSE HE'S A THREAT!"  Zack's motive was "I know I can save him! I can't back down just now!" Yeah, worked for his role, for all that he wasn't particularly great a character.

Lazard: Not going to get into details, but he generally worked through and through.  SOLDIER director, is thought to have betrayed, then comes back years later, helping Zack out in his time of need, and being the only ally Zack actually has in the grand scheme of things.  He was a nice foil to Genisis, actually.  Genisis tried to save himself and only himself...Lazard was stuck in the same situation as Genisis, but instead, decides to do whatever he can for others.

Cissnei: Exists cause you need a female who can actually get close to Zack, and Aeris can't be that cause she has to stay in Midgar for a number of reasons.  She did have good chemistry in the scenes she had, granted, though felt like they wanted to make a love triangle between her, Zack and Aeris, but never went anywhere.

Hollander: Pure tool, all things considered.  Exists cause you need someone with brains on the villains side who knows what things are, so the main villain (Genisis) can actually understand stuff.  Not much else to him, though his fight was ridiculous (you're fighting a man who looks 90 years old, and literally throws a 5 foot missile at you after clearly building it on the spot <_<.)

Aeris: Pretty much exists to be Zack's Girlfriend and...little else.  In fairness, this was much better played here than her role in FF7, where she was this Deus Ex Machina character who dies on Disc 1 and does little else besides constantly hit on Cloud.  Mostly cause they actually fall back to ZackxAeris mattering.  Heck, the sole incentive for Zack even going back to Midgar WAS Aeris.  He made a promise to see her again, to visit her, etc. (and he was a huge inspiration to her) and at very least, he wanted to honor that.  Yes, yes, he fails (and the scene with Tseng going "I have something to give you!" and how you know she's waiting for him, and all that just made his death that much more powerful.)  The game even mocks their relationship some (Zack's about to fight Bahamut's Fury...then Aeris calls him on his cellphone as he's FACING THE DRAGON, he simply responds with a "Hi Aeris! This isn't exactly the best time to call me. Busy? Yeah, just a little..."), but in any event, she wasn't as hateful here cause she was less herself, and her role actually felt more necessary than it was in FF7 (Aeris in FF7 was random girl Cloud meets, then a Damsel in Distress, then kind of doesn't matter until Temple of Ancients, and then she dies...talk about a superficially important character <_<)
...this doesn't mean I like her, though; I just mean she's less hateful than her original self <_< >_>

Reno: Is Reno.
Rude: Is Rude.
Both needed more than 3 scenes <_<

Cloud: Actually seeing what Cloud was like when he was younger, in his Shinra days, was a nice touch.  As well as seeing his actual relation with Zack.  What we saw in FF7 was basically he knew Zack from the mission, and then Zack's suddenly calling him friends while he's...not with us.  Crisis Core made it out to be more that Zack was like this older brother figure to Cloud.  The two met by pure chance on a random mission, due to an accident with a Helicopter.  The whole conversation where they meet just was a nice way to introduce Cloud, and then how Zack runs into him again and acknowledges that he remembers him (with Cloud being surprised that Zack would remember someone like that), and...yeah.  Just really worked well for his role, and didn't feel forced in either.  Again, Crisis Core's connections with FF7 are generally well done, Cloud's a good example of that.
Yes, he *HAS* to be in Crisis Core if only for the Nibelheim sequence, and they could have introduced him there if they wanted, but instead decided to introduce him earlier, and the way they worked him in flowed nicely.

(Also, Cloud and Zack being genuinely friendly before Nibelheim made Zack's death more powerful.  Zack just gave it his all, getting as far as he did practically carrying Cloud (...with help of a motorcycle) the entire way, doing what he can to insure at least ONE PERSON he cared about that was actually in trouble could be saved, then dies happily knowing at least one person is left alive to take on his legacy.)

...think I'll end the rant here, cause now I'm just kind of rambling.

So yeah, probably an 8/10 game; was going to give it a 7/10 (though a highish one), but that last few parts of the game were just brilliant, enough to raise it to 8/10. Bought this game thinking it might be the one Final Fantasy 7 spinoff that didn't suck, and it delivered.
Best way to describe the game? Does just about everything right, but doesn't excel at any of them enough to get the game to true greatness.  Yes, that's weird, but I struggle to really think of any real noteworthy flaws Crisis Core has (the Sephiroth goes crazy poor writing is more than offset by the ending, in my eyes.)

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: April 10, 2008, 08:26:17 AM »
Just to clear a few thing up on FF7CC, spoiler ahead.

About Angeal and Genesis, both of them actually shares one motive, they both want to end their lives as a warrior. This is the very reason why sometimes they provoke Zack despite it isn't necessary. Angeal know he has to die, he is TOO perfect of a Jenova clone to be left alive. Of course, a man of his character commiting suicide is unthinkable, so he needs Zack to provide him his last battle field. Samething with Genesis, he has forsaken his honor and promise with hsi friends just to save himself. And his last resort to cure himself, Minerva's Material is going to turn himself into a monster without a doubt. So he too needs Zack. But Minerva pitied him in the end so he didn't die. And this is not in the game, after having a second chance at life, Genesis is determined to fullfill his promise with Angeal. After getting taken away by the DG Soldiers, he kept himself sealed deep beneath the earth waiting for someday that world needs his power so he can fullfill his promise.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: April 10, 2008, 03:30:17 PM »
Cut that shit out we have real game discussion here.

HoMM is TB strategy in the Warlords vein of things El Cid, a bit more refined than that but a really solid series that peaked around 2 and 3 and actually pulled together a decent plot with HoMM2 which is based on Erathia which was easilly the high point in the M&M series.  You won't find me praising it like I would X-Com games, but it is certainly a series of some note.

Back to not serious game discussion.

No More Heroes  - The game actually isn't that bad NEB, it is like Killer7 in that it isn't really about the things it talks about.  Suda51 is very artfag, but also very Grefterish Artfag so they  deconstruct thing in incredibly vulgar ways and honestly they are mostly deconstructing pretty vulgar things.  The hub ride around on bike shit could have done with some improvement (See Elimination), the combat is alright, but no big deal.  The style and brutal critique that is the plot is where it is at.  A brutal assassin that runs around with a light saber and just generally being a psychotic prick as a deconstruction of gaming culture is deliciously harsh and accurate while also being absolutely fucking cool, which just makes it all the more harsh and accurate.  It is pretty cool stuff.  It is a celebration of debasement.  If that isn't your kind of thing then leave your pants at the door as you leave.  This is for the same audience that really enjoys The eXile (but also are the kind that would be perpetually insulted by the eXile, which is fine everyone that reads it should take the verbal abuse and run with it).
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

OblivionKnight

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: April 10, 2008, 03:39:45 PM »
Mr. Grefter, when you get on IRC, I need to catch you at some point, assuming our schedules match.  Just some idle curiosity

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: April 10, 2008, 03:51:11 PM »
Yeah alright, I will try and be online this weekend.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: April 10, 2008, 05:07:12 PM »
Ah, ok, thanks for that Niu.  The plot in CC is a bit broken so its hard to see exactly how things are, but that fits both characters well enough.

Though, figured Angeal was something like that; fits him too well, and there's the whole "he was smiling after losing!" thing implying that's the outcome he was hoping for, etc.

So I take it those two SOLDER members who grabbed Genisis were of Deepground? Please avoid DoC spoilers (unless its something explained within the first 5 chapters <.<), cause I prefer to see the stupidity first hand and laugh at it when I don't know what's coming <_< >_>!

Ryogo

• DOC!
  • Denizen
  • Somebody call for a medic?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: April 10, 2008, 05:45:42 PM »
FM4: We have confirmed villain death, so I must be making progress. Yep, Menacing Bald German Guy committed seppuku after suffering ignominious defeat, as expected. Anyway, people are starting to max out their innate skills (just Zead and Latona so far, but others are close), so I guess I should be looking into computer skills. Eh. New gear comes first, though, and I don't usually have much cash left over afterwards.

So, this HoMM3 is...vaguely Civilization-like, or what?

NOOOOOO, I just got spoilered XP I kinda assumed he would die though. That or get turned in, so not so bad of a spoliler. Note to self, no more reading Cid's posts here.

I'm not quite there yet, I'm attacking the Zaftran Border base right now, I just haven't been able to play in a while since my PS2 is back at my house. :(

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: April 10, 2008, 06:40:01 PM »
Sorry dude, last time you mentioned it I got the impression that you'd already beaten the game.

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: April 10, 2008, 07:35:25 PM »
and actually pulled together a decent plot with HoMM2 which is based on Erathia which was easilly the high point in the M&M series.

The plot is completely defined by how it ties in with the main series games that happen in Erathia (6 and 7). Standing alone, HoMM plots are barebones crap.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: April 10, 2008, 10:04:39 PM »
Eh I played HoMM2 before I play M&M7 and considered it not bad stuff for a strategy game.  It is a simplistic setup and execution but it does act quite well as an introduction to the setting due to being a bit light on the plot and covering massive areas of the continent.  Archibald's motives are simple and easy to get behind, both kings have a good portion of monologue to be built up on (certainly far more than they get in M&M games themselves).  Actually I think some of the success of the M&M7 plot that actually ties in with the politics of Erathia only even really works because of the build up of HoMaM 2.  If you hadn't played that then the plight of Archibald and the idea of going to his lab and all that would sort of come out of left field.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: April 11, 2008, 12:37:54 AM »
So I take it those two SOLDER members who grabbed Genisis were of Deepground? Please avoid DoC spoilers (unless its something explained within the first 5 chapters <.<), cause I prefer to see the stupidity first hand and laugh at it when I don't know what's coming <_< >_>!

Yes, they are DG Soldiers. Nero and Weiss.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: April 11, 2008, 12:40:14 AM »
BvS:  Learned Epic Dog Urination Technique, the second-best named Jutsu in the game (first is Eight Trigrams: Eleventy Billion Palms).  Used it to get Lil Whitey and Triple H, the two allies that have eluded me thus far.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: April 11, 2008, 12:46:33 AM »
Ironically, Lil' Whitey was the FIRST ally I got, aside from the requisite Flipper.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: April 11, 2008, 03:25:19 PM »
Shadow of the Colossus:  So, you know what?  Fuck the time trials.  I've beaten a good portion of them, maybe a third so far.  However, several colossi who should not be hard get ridiculously annoying on time trials.  Especially number 3, the one where you have to run up his sword.  For the love of shit, 5 minutes to get him to attack you in the correct fashion no less than 3 times and then not getting flung from his head as he imitates listening to Megadeth so you stop stabbing him in the skull is not nearly enough.  I almost beat him once, but then I got thrown off with 30 seconds to spare.  Maybe I should go about it differently and go after the torso second... I may only have to climb up twice then, but even then simply getting him to attack is too annoying.

Oddly enough, the ones that gave me the most trouble (Sand snake, the Tortoise, and second to last one) were the easiest to beat.  Just goes to show how 70% of what makes the game hard is figuring things out and 30% is learning how to manipulate retarded giants I guess.