Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 464322 times)

Pyro

Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #1600 on: April 26, 2008, 12:36:42 AM »
MMXCM: Beat Dr. Evil. Nautilus was a good fight all in all. The game has been pretty decent at putting out fun boss battles. Pity about the neverending swarms of randoms and the MEGA MAN PLOT. Although I hope they at least do more than make bosses heavily anti-physical (forcing you to your item damage).

FE7: Is Fire Emblem. Now with 100% more training missions and 100% worse plot. Ick.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: April 26, 2008, 01:00:27 AM »
Items don't really keep up with boss HP too well as time goes on, for what it's worth. Though yeah, aside from a couple of flying bosses (if they even count) you've seen the end of the straight anti-physical measures, though a few do have variants.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: April 26, 2008, 03:18:46 AM »
P3- Chidori is defeated. As I probably see average damage as about 250ish perhaps...she has about 0.5 PC HP (Probably a tad less than that)! And yet, can still get wins in Light based on 50% MHP Tetrakarn.  Hilarious/fail yet non-complete fail Limit Fighter.
...into the nightfall.

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: April 26, 2008, 04:46:56 AM »
The World Ends With You - Beat the main game, moving on to the aftergame, which is an awesome mix of aftergame and New Game +. Game just hooked me from the start and I still really like it. I'd put it at a... 8-9/10 or so, it has a few minor flaws that detract from it but not enough for me to think less of it.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: April 26, 2008, 06:24:44 AM »
FM4 - Screwing around with Simulator Mission 3. Bosch's evade is even more badass than Latona's and Elsa's, and he stopped sucking at offense once I gave him the machinegun arms that Elsa has. He seems haphazard for natural skill build, though, so I'll screw around with his weaponry once I get more options. Linking continues to be the source of great happiness.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: April 26, 2008, 06:53:45 AM »
The World Ends With You - Beat the maingame~. Seconding Xer on the awesomeness of the aftergame setup (replay any part at any time? Win.), and I will definitely be doing some of it, since TWEWY plot isn't something I'd put in caps~. Hm, definitely a solid 9/10 game to me, the gameplay is just too awesomely fun~. Also I am not addicted to Long Dream, honestly~.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 06:55:48 AM by Nitori »
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: April 26, 2008, 07:17:26 AM »
TotA: Off to Ortion Cave we go!

Also, the Tartarus fails as a vehicle.  I'm never really a fan of Ocean Travel given they're often slow moving vehicles, and with limited movement...but they are usually NOT THIS RESTRICTIVE about where you can land.  Ports only? Argh.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: April 26, 2008, 10:02:15 AM »
-AI3- Last chapter ... Nine? Levels 28 Edge, 29 Iris and 29 Nell. Found myself back with a Jiptus Edge/Siren Nell combo and settled on that for now. I think I'm at the stage where I pretty want to squeeze every last drop out of the game before having to go finish it. Or should I do the squeezing after defeating the final boss and starting a replay or something. Hmmm. Also somehow managed to end up with the Quick! status for Nell =-)
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: April 26, 2008, 12:52:24 PM »
P3- Chidori is defeated. As I probably see average damage as about 250ish perhaps...she has about 0.5 PC HP (Probably a tad less than that)! And yet, can still get wins in Light based on 50% MHP Tetrakarn.  Hilarious/fail yet non-complete fail Limit Fighter.

I keep forgetting she actually has a skillset. Did you not one-round her, Dhyer, or just let her live to see what she could do?

And Meeple: Yeah, travel isn't something TotA does well. At all.

DQ8: Trodain Castle randoms are nasty. Definitely a step up from anything else the game has thrown at me so far. Mole cave was a cakewalk after that. Anyway, I have the ship now, so it looks like time to explore the world. Call team got, also. Salsa/Scorpius/Brickman decimated the first three levels of pit fights pretty handily.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: April 26, 2008, 02:00:18 PM »
Hey, I didn't one round her! Granted I never saw that move either in game >_>. The HP is indeed hilariously bad.

Mana Khema: Whee. Been playing this for a while, got to the final chapter. Game feels mixed. Has some great points, some flaws but overall turns out fairly charming. Also brings a neat duelling cast at least. Late game bosses for the fail though. I killed the C11 final by going: Boost --> Overrealm --> Retraction --> A support Flay. Proceeded to use Chaos Devotion, Violent Pillar and Finishing Burst in that order, dealing 18000 damage >_>. Oops! Boss went from 80% to 5% HP left after that combo.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: April 26, 2008, 05:57:55 PM »
DQ8:  Up to Neos, time to grind for money.  Got Talos, beat the C rank of the arena.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: April 26, 2008, 06:47:58 PM »
Chidori?  I could've one rounded her but wanted to see if she'd do something worthwhile.  She didn't.  Though apparently she has stuff.

Mana Khemia -

C11 boss - Only got four turns in, which all sucked.  gg

Now I'm busy making ultimate armors.  Last time I played I didn't have as much trouble... bleh.  Need to go find more ingredients, though I may do that after getting through the first half of the final dungeon.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: April 26, 2008, 06:50:12 PM »
FM4 - Screwing around with Simulator Mission 3. Bosch's evade is even more badass than Latona's and Elsa's, and he stopped sucking at offense once I gave him the machinegun arms that Elsa has. He seems haphazard for natural skill build, though, so I'll screw around with his weaponry once I get more options. Linking continues to be the source of great happiness.

Bosch's basic build is complete trash (A few machine gun levels and uh that is it besides sensor shit). Build him with bazookas, it's his best setup.

FM4- Just beat the shit out of Wagner 1. Think I've settled on builds this game!

Elsa- Double machine guns
Latona- Ubermelee
Hermes- Repair
Bosch- Sniper rifles
Zead- Double shotguns/1 Missile pack
Beck- Default

Basically making the team more link friendly, with Beck being the only man out. Zead needs a total overhaul for his melee stuff but that's fine, Bosch.. done Bazookas the last two games. Want to use a ranged weapon and want something different, so sniper rifles it is.

Darill- ??
Renges- Rifle
Chaeffer- Repair
Luis- Minotaur
Ines- Minotaur
Thammond- default

I'm really not sure on Darill. I was thinking about making him a straight up meleer (He gets scary once you get the Zenith Wanzer) but.. that team's all about the ranged damage. With two bazooka users and a sniper rifle user I'm not going to have a ton of melee chances. Maybe try his default setup for once? Bleh. I'm open to ideas on this one, just want to try something a bit different from his usual double shotgun setup.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: April 26, 2008, 10:10:51 PM »
P3:FES (Journey)

...About to hit the first full moon.  Given that this is the first chance I've had in a while to play, I'd argue that this is relatively fair.  Almost got killed by Hard Rampage Drive.  Not looking forward to the Change Table.

In other news: STOP ASKING GODDAMNED HISTORY QUESTIONS.  It's like it telepathically knew my worst subject.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: April 26, 2008, 10:18:26 PM »
WAXF: up to 2-16 or so.  Of the new classes...Berserkers are great--excellent idea, and both Move+1 and Move MP Up are neat abilities.  Enigmancer is...the least special of the mages so far, but still a mage with move 4 and an esuna effect.  Grapplers really don't thrill me at all, though picking up and moving allies with low movement is a welcome ability.  Also, I have accelerator on a couple of people and it seems to be awesome.  Strider I have almost no use for--one of my physical generics is using the Strider skillset as a secondary for the ranged jump kick, but that's about all I've seen worthwhile from that class.

SSBB: Got my Wii back from repairs.  Unlocked all characters.  Beat all event matches (on the hard difficulty).  Followed in-game instructions for unlocking some pieces of music (which involved playing some one-stock multiplayer against the AI).  The AI seems improved in this game, or at least it doesn't walk towards me in a completely predictable direct path every time.  At the same time, it doesn't have the ridiculous powershielding of level 9 CPUs from SSBM.

TF2: I've been choosing random for my class a lot lately, with mixed results depending on the map and my opponents.  Also, Zenny's roommate seems to have taken an interest in the group I play with.

Pyro

« Reply #1615 on: April 27, 2008, 12:20:40 AM »
Accelerate is awesome. It also works with Turn Shift in surprisingly broken ways. I love XF twinking.

Got P3, haven't started it yet. I'm still on MMXCM and FE7.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: April 27, 2008, 03:45:52 AM »
Super, how can you NOT turn him into a shotgun wielding maniac?  A game with giant mechs with shotguns absolutely begs for it.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: April 27, 2008, 03:51:44 AM »
Done that the last two games already.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: April 27, 2008, 04:01:42 AM »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: April 27, 2008, 04:02:29 AM »
Well did you catch it or not?

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #1620 on: April 27, 2008, 05:38:08 AM »
Mana Khemia - Finished.

What to say. This game has ups and downs. It starts off kind of meh, but towards the end is really fun. I do have a couple of issues with the gameplay (surprisingly), but for the most part, the system comes off pretty well. Guess I'll just start off with my thoughts on the plot and work from there.

Plot wise, game is basically 10 chapters of mucking around then 2 chapters of actual crap happening. Well the first 10 set way for the last two to make sense, but its just way too slow. Its better than CC where literally all of it is crammed last minute (AND makes no sense), but still, the pacing is...meh. I don't think its like VP plot like Tal was saying, since in VP there are stronger hints as to what really happened and you know, stuff happens in varying chapters if you're aiming for the A ending. Several chapters in MK is just filler. The ACTUAL plot itself barring the pacing is not bad. Just one of the portions is incredibly cliche. Although sticking with Pyro's rule of not playing this game for plot is a good idea in general. Pity that since it looked like it had more potential.

On the other hand, characters were more enjoyable. The game doesn't really take itself all too seriously which works when you have a cast that's this quirky. The game for example, openly mocks Roxis in the earlier bits. Then there's Flay, who you can never really takes seriously. So much so that when he actually says meaningful stuff, not only do you do a double take, but so do all the characters. They're all charming in their own little ways, but granted are not as good as actual better developed characters (P3 PCs come to mind but that cast is just very well developed in general, so it might not be the best example). I...think the most well developed aside from Vayne is Roxis...which says something since the half the time the game also openly mocks him.

Gameplay though is a treat. The unfortunate thing though is that it really doesn't pick up until around chapter 3 or 4. The other really frustrating thing is how enemies at night go aggro and move at double the speed. I don't mind fighting at night if enemies had double stats, but being ambushed because I cannot see an enemy dashing towards me and camping towards where I jump is not cool. This made it more of an issue for me to finish everything during the day (although I had a few boss fights at night. And yes, they were very fun unlike random ambushes) since initiative is so very important in the game. That aside, the support system works and each character has their own neat place. They really make you work supports in game since the best way to do damage is to use skills which drains your SP at an alarming rate. And by using supports, you can let one PC recover and have another take over. The A supports and D supports add flavor to the system and you can vary the difficulty by deciding to fight at night, using less support members and so on. Its very well implemented minus the two issues I have with it. Having the grow book be similar to FFX sphere grid but with limits also makes it such that power levelling is not option.

Thoughts on the PCs...
Vayne's a damn wuss. With angst here and there. He gets development, but there's some gaping plot holes with his entire plot twist really. Don't really like him overall. In battle though, he becomes a total beast once you get some good skills to go with Over realm. Then its just boost him before the over realm kicks in, hit the enemy with defense down, and watch as he rapes them to death. Its so very much a staple combo and there's very little the standard bosses can do to stop this. I killed one of the last bosses in one of these chains. His supports aren't bad either. A support Vayne can push enemies back to give other allies a turn and D support let's you save up Pamela's for something magical.  DL wise, he's some flavor of heavy. Since he's usually going to live to pull off one Over realm. At which point 2x Chaos Devotions or Chaos Devotion + Violent Pillar is going to hurt a lot and will bust down even limit fighters since he's essentially under 3 FFT Quicks in a row. Granted, if that fails to kill, he's screwed since he runs out of gas and then has nothing. BUT BUT ANALYZE.

Jess works as a klutzy, but talented and cheerful stereotypical girl in the setting really. There looked to be decent potential in her story since her character quests are one of the few aside from Roxis' that actually tie in well with the main plot. But no, there wasn't much afterwards which is kind of a dissapointment. I like her better than Vayne, but that probably goes without saying. In game, her talents at scheduling for Synthing makes her valuable alone since she (along with Roxis) are the only two characters who have "Normal" difficulty with accessories, and she's skilled in creating healing items. Battle wise, low damage, but healing spells and a D support that works to cushion MT attacks makes her very valuable. DL wise, middle. Lack of damage really is the problem. Seal works on some enemies and On-the-spot Synthesis also works, although it has charge time.

Nikki inspires apathy. I don't really like her, but there's no immense dislike there either. I eventually benched her although she seems awesome from what I've seen. Fast and damaging is a good combo in general. Probably a DL heavy as well due to some of her skills. Will have to check later on for a more definite opinion.

Flay...was an idiot essentially. The game does not hide this from you ever. Does his job at least! Although feels forced sometimes. Also inspired apathy. Although at time he actually says something useful. And the whole world dies of shock. Decent in battle. His damage is there, A support is awesome, D support is meh. Really, he's worth using for the A support alone. He's probably mid tier in game as a PC held back really by his slow starting speed. DL wise, probably middle. No Super guts hype from me. He's a standard slugger who at least some semblance of damage.

Pamela is a ditz. That's around it. A cute ditz, but still a ditz nonetheless. I would actually want to describe these characters more, but there's not much else to say. In game, Pamela lags a bit, and then becomes very nasty as a defensive character. Her D support is easily the best of the 8 characters since it screams: FREE SWITCH. A support is more of a meh, but still decent (recovering MP is good). I didnt find the status all that useful since I avoided a lot of randoms. And her damage other than that wasn't particularly impressive. Until low HP. At which point No Bullying destroys worlds. So much so that I got used to adjusting Pamela's HP with her HP consuming skills so she can place herself within that deadly range. DL wise, downright nasty heavy. Physically immune, with status and parasitic healing. Then she has a skill which over writes enemy resistances. On top of that, all her skills drain HP,  giving her actual control over her limit abilities. Just...ow.

Roxis basically can be summed up as angst for 3 chapters and then actually becomes a decent guy. His ending shows that despite of the fact that he's still a sarcastic jerkface, he's actually able to care about someone other than his own self. Something he really couldn't do before. Personally, I think his character quests develop him much better than most others since he goes from angst to acquaintance to actual acceptance of Vayne. His ending speech wins though. In game, he's a terror. Controls turns, disables time cards and Chrona drive is a very awesome attacking skill. Then he's actually durable for a mage. His biggest problem is crappy A support (yay Seal?!) and incredibly shitty D support (OMG BLESSING). Still, was probably my MVP, tied with Vayne easily. Hardly ever has lag too. Just very good in general. Does not translate well to DL as his two money skills (Retraction and Purifying) don't tend to work. He does gain however Trick Edge becoming much stronger. Likely a form of middle again.

Anna I did like despite the staticness. Takes things to extremes but usually in humourous fashions. Plus she's adorable really. I don't think her over active imagination really improves, but someone who saw her ending can prove me wrong there. In a way that's good, since that's what made her really stand out. In game, she's supposed to be a quick attacker. Doesn't always feel like since the speed spread doesn't feel that obvious. But her skills are very good. Quick Dream is essentially a free attack + something else when it hits (which it does 95% of the time). And Dancing Blade is an awesome damage skill (does 6k pretty much on its own). She does drain mana faster than anybody though. But probably still near the upper tier spectrum. DL wise, high middle. She can always opt to Quick Dream --> ID skill. Or if she knows she can survive a bit, Quick Dream ---> Dancing Blade --> ID skill also works. Like most of this cast, once she's out of gas though, she's done.

Muppy er...the hostage character quest wins! I found him unimpressive otherwise. Homocidal alien but doesn't really. Never used him in battle. By the time he joined, my other 7 characters drastically outclassed him. Will need to see stat topic on him for certain.

Game is probably a 7/10 for me. I will need to revisit my rankings. Since I feel some of the recent games I've played are misplaced.

Hinode: Seconding Grefter. Did you catch it?!
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: April 27, 2008, 07:22:00 AM »
TotA: Just saved Natalia and Ion from Daath.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: April 27, 2008, 08:25:16 AM »
F Zero X - Expert still kicks my ass for the most part, although I'm improving. Mario Kart will likely sideline me from this soon, though.

FF3DS - Midgame fun! Two-rounded Kraken using the ridiculousness of Scholar, Provoke was pretty handy against Goldor. Garuda was broken as hell as always, but Scholar + Dragoon largely saw to him despite his gross damage. Didn't have any resets but I got lucky. Randoms... definitely spike a bit after you get the submarine, the Sunken Cave was pretty tough and the Temple of Time, even with SS-enhanced levels, managed to kill me.

Using a Bard/Ranger/Dark Knight/Viking team at the moment, i.e. PCs I didn't use last playthrough. Ranger is definitely the best of this crew. Bard actually isn't too bad either, but benefits a lot from the party I'm using (i.e. all fighters, and lacking healing). +20 attack MT first strike for two rounds is cool. Rest of the abilities not so much, and using another fighter probably just makes more sense. Viking's a decent attempt at a defensive character, although overall I'm not tooo sold (needs MDef mostly). Dark Knight pre-Fargabaad is neat offensively but frail as hell, getting solidly 2HKOed by most randoms. Thank goodness this game is about blitzing.

Wild ARMs 4 - Have I mentioned this game rules recently? Because it does. Cleared up the midpoint of Dragon Fossil Valley. Combat in this game remains wonderful. The non-DL bosses in Garra de Leon were both neat. Plot stuff is still good enough to keep me interested, and the Ministry of Fail's fail is even more epic than I remembered. Neat.

FFT - Weapons playthrough continues (not sure how much I post about that here). Successfully swiped Elmdor's Genji Guauntlet with our four-man, limited-weapon party (Slow is godlike. As is powerful ninja, but we already knew that). Beating Elmdor for 300+ damage with a carpet is also awesome, as is watching the axe-wileding jumping priest at work.

Good games only policy is very much still in effect. ^_^

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: April 27, 2008, 09:37:17 AM »
I don't see Fallout on that list NEB.

Assassin's Creed - As odd as it sounds this is a fair bit like No More Heros.  Not the plot and awesome deconstruction of stuff, but gameplay.  Better controls make it better on that front though I guess.  You do a bunch of side stuff to unlock this one kind of cool fun thing to do, in this case assassinate a Templar.

It is the opposite of NMH though in that the running around doing side stuff is actually pretty fun and the plot is just kind of meh and is probably going to pan out into just dull pretentious shit instead of cool interesting pretentious shit.  Still a fun game if you don't rush it and just enjoy the chance to do the whole classic thief/assassin run around on roof tops stuff.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: April 27, 2008, 03:38:57 PM »
It is the opposite of NMH though in that the running around doing side stuff is actually pretty fun and the plot is just kind of meh and is probably going to pan out into just dull pretentious shit instead of cool interesting pretentious shit.  Still a fun game if you don't rush it and just enjoy the chance to do the whole classic thief/assassin run around on roof tops stuff.

Plot pretty much does work out that way. I haven't played the game, but I saw quite a lot of it at my brother's place and I know the major plot twists. Typical "Templars are the evil ancient conspiracy" shit is meh and the setup is needlessly convoluted. That said, climbing around on the rooftops did look like a lot of fun; I almost think I'd enjoy it more if people weren't trying to kill Altair.

DQ8: Lots of stuff! Baccarat/Sabrecat Chateau first. Tom creeps me out, but being able to move at like three times normal speed on the world map rocks. Anyway, I go to the Dark Ruins after that, expecting to finally be able to fight Dhouly, but the game throws another fetch quest chain at me first. Blah. So, it's off to Argonia, which at least provides plenty of plunder (that castle is frickin' huge) and...Charmles. Wow. You know, I expected him to thoroughly unredeemable, but his crowning moment of stupidity definitely took me by surprise. Way to shit on every totally undeserved favor people gave you, man. Anyway, found a metal slime hangout and grabbed a couple levels before fixing the mirror and moving on.

Dark Ruins randoms are pretty hardcore. Hate those Bone Barons. Thankfully, the game decides to be nice and restore your HP/MP before the Dhoulmagus fight, because damn, do you need all of it. Totally wore Guv out of MP (he used the last of it for Call Team, which finished the fight on the last turn they were out) and Angelo was pretty close to it (Jessica never runs out, even spamming stuff like Boom and Oomph). So, Dhouly finally falls, I breath a sigh of relief and sit back to watch the plotness. Suddenly...a second form?! Oh crap. Tell me this is a plot fight? *Dhouly hits hard but not for overkill damage* Um, crap. I totally didn't have the resources for another boss fight at that point, so yeah, had my first game over.

Chat informs me that I don't have to hack through the first form again when I go back. So that's nice, at least. Probably going to grind for cash for a bit first, though--everyone's lacking the most recent round of armor, and given that most of it says "cut spell damage" in the description, I imagine that would help a great deal. Wish there weren't so many scrubs on Neos, though--I just want the gold golems! Finally having MT healing would also be awesome, and I'm told this should show up with another couple levels (at 27-29 right now). Guess I can go knock out another round or two at the Monster Arena, too, and see what that gets me. Talos/King Slime/Goldman (or "Goldbricker," as he's called when you fight him. Have I mentioned that I love this game's localization?) is a pretty badass team.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 03:41:24 PM by El Cideon »