imageRegister

Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 473328 times)

Pyro

Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #1800 on: May 10, 2008, 05:11:52 PM »
You just need to kill things faster, MC!

Don't look at me like that.

P3 FES: Up to the first trip. Someone on the team presenting a touchy/emotional issue and the team hashing it out as a group and coming to a logical conclusion? Good times. Junpei getting over his inferiority complex? Good times.

The tower boss I fought on F85 was pretty good. Wound up blowing a magic Mirror to avoid the Mind Charge hax. Otherwise the gameplay has kept delivering.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: May 10, 2008, 06:49:12 PM »
<_< To be fair those still sound shorter than lategame Fire Emblem battles. (Which I agree, err on the side of being too long.)
Sounds right.  That said, wile you're usually facing only 15 or so enemies (vs 6 party members) most of my team has move 3 or move 4 (or "move like a rook", but that's only one class) so just getting into attack range can be a problem for my slower heavy-hitters.  generally enemies can't be OHKOed, and counterattacks are fairly negligible in my party.  Also, half the enemies at this point in the game have near-full healing.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: May 10, 2008, 07:41:46 PM »
It's been awhile.

Fire Emblem 9 - Up to... chapter 19 or so?

C11 - Pretty uneventful the second time through.

C12 - RAVENS.  Had quite a bit of trouble with this one.  Ended up just rushing the ravens as they entered the boat and hiding my squishies in the back.  The time I cleared it wasn't so bad, but going into this map blind is painful as hell.

C13 - First try: Sword user kills Astrid on first turn.  Problem: THERE'S NO WAY TO BLOCK ALL ENEMIES FROM ATTACKING ASTRID.  So no matter what you do, an enemy can attack Astrid.  Fail, FE9.  So after I blocked the initial sword user from being able to attack, a lance user attacks her on the side and fails to kill.  Mop up from there.

And before someone pulls this "yeah but you can see damage and defense values" shit, more than one enemy can attack her from the side, and one of them can kill.  But that one doesn't move and the only way you'd know that is if you've played the map before.

Whatever, it was turn 1 so I didn't lose much but that's still kind of stupid.

C14 - lulz.  Apparently the boss and the laguz don't even move so I got some free EXP for my mages and Astrid.

C15 - This map is extremely annoying for several reasons.  First, I have to use Sothe to help get the items.  And he's L1 and OHKOd by everything.  Great.  Second, the game doesn't show move/attack ranges for laguz who haven't transformed yet... and they transform at the beginning of the turn and can attack immediately.  So you have to manually count sqaures and remember all the ranges of enemies at 16 gauge!  Great!  One reset due to putting someone (was it Sothe?) too far up and not realizing an enemy was going to transform and could attack there.  Second time through was just tedious and I hate this map so much.  Got all the items and the S rank sword at least!  Shiny!

C16 - This one was also extremely annoying.  First reset was because I was trying to get my lower levelled people EXP by poking the boss, and he lands a crit on a 55 chance to hit at 1% chance to crit.  Argh.

Second time, there was a mage left at 1 HP, and I had five units all attack it with 75 accuracy and every single one of them missed. Mage proceeded to nuke Mia.  Sigh.

Third time, an enemy behind one of the doors had a Killer weapon and critted... someone.  Marcia?  That wasn't really my fault either BECAUSE THAT UNIT IS HIDDEN UNTIL YOU OPEN THE DOOR AND THEN YOU CAN'T KILL THEM BEFORE THEY ACT.

Fourth time I just put someone too far and they got nuked.  That was completely my fault and it was a really stupid mistake.  >.>

Time I finally finished it, I just had people like Titania and Devdan weaken the boss and through someone weaker in for the kill.

C17 - This is the four parts one.  You know, I like the style of this chapter conceptually, but it doesn't really work in FE.  Rather, it'd work better in a game without permadeath, since you could lose members on a map, get two more every time.  Granted, they'd have to make it hard enough that losing members IS a very likely possibility for it to work out, but still.  As is, you're going to have 16 fully healed party members for the last mission and the reinforcements aren't even *needed*.  I don't know, just seems like it'd work much better in other games.

That said, I don't hate them using it here, since they let you save and manage items between battles.  Just kind of pointless but whatever.

C17 part 1 - Is pretty lulz.  Basically just swept through the map with ease.

C17 part 2 - Had one reset here.  Didn't send enough people along the left path to take care of those enemies the first time.  Second time, I threw most of my team to the left, Nephenee, Ike, Titania, and Oscar took the right path to head for the Arrive point.  Turns out one of my flyers that went left doubled back around and got there first.  Completely cleared the map anyways.

C17 part 3 - This one's annoying.  First time I got pincer'd by some of the reinforcements behind my group.  Hate FE reinforcements so much.  Second time, I holed up in the upper left corner and blitzed the reinforcements as soon as they showed up.  Ended up clearing the map by like turn 7 or so, and the only enemies I had to deal with then were reinforcements, which was pretty easy.

C17 part 4 - Also annoying!  Got pincer'd by reinforcements again!  This time they were mounted so I couldn't get close enough to attack them but they could get close enough to attack me.  I think they nuked Tormod or something.  Second time I left Maurim and Devdan back there and they took care of them.  Oscar, Astrid, and Boyd ended up promoting on this map, which was nice.

C18 - AETHER!!  Had a death here due to moving Jill into the range of a sage that I didn't realize hit flying weakness.  Second time involved tedious baiting and the stupid sage kept passing his turn even when people were in range.  Then I just threw Astrid at the dude and he died, as well as all the other enemies that attacked her next turn.  Astrid is fucking God.

Characters:
Ike (20/2) - Is pretty beastly.  Just all around great stats, though I still don't like the fact he can only use swords, but whatever.  He's still quite good.

Mia (16) - Has trouble killing things and taking hits.  Good enough on the dodge hax to be decent, but... I don't know, LVP of the people I'm using?  She's always underlevelled so that might have something to do with it.

Ilyana (17) - MAGIC NUKE.  Kinda.  Magic being versatile at ignoring counters and enemies having low Res makes her quite useful.  Also usually doubles things that aren't really fast.  Also, nice mage bait.

Tormod (17) - Celerity is nice, but other than that he seems to be Ilyana-.

Mist (18) - Healer.  Owns Rhys.  Good Res for baiting mages.

Gatrie (19) - IS UNTOUCHABLE by anything physical.  I can often stick him by a bunch of sword or bow users and watch him take no (or negligible) damage.  Eats it to mages, but that's to be expected.

Marcia (20) - DEATH FROM ABOVE!  Kind of hurting on damage, but Def/Res/evade are all serviceable enough.  Plus mounted units are badass in FE9.

Jill (20) - DEATH FROM ABOVE! mk 2.  More damage and less Res/evade than Marcia.  But being mounted means she can take advantage of the extra offense without having to deal with taking more damage, so it works out.  I think I like Marcia more but Jill's still awesome anyways.

Nephenee (20) - Owned stuff nicely around when she joined but has kind of gone downhill now.  Still, decently tanky and nice enough speed and damage makes her a nice unit, and Vantage + Wrath is nice when it triggers (which it shouldn't often, but nice in emergencies).

Volke (20) - Turned out really nicely for me.  Dodge hax of DOOM and decent damage despite relying on knives.  Defenses could use some work but eh, they're usually enough coupled with his evade.

Oscar (20/1) - Same as Nephenee pretty much, though the owning section was longer due to him joining earlier.  Still, overall nice unit due to mounted bonuses and awesome Ike support.

Boyd (20/1) - Is a badass.  Insane HP and damage, servicable speed and defenses.  Was my favorite unit until Astrid joined, as is still quite solid now.

Reyson (4) - Chant is awesome.  That is all.

Astrid (20/8) - Is God.  Probably could solo entire maps with ease by herself.

Basically all the people above are people I'd consider using (or am using) and everything below I won't.

Rolf (6) - Sucks.  Well, he's good until you get Astrid but then he's completely outclassed.

Shinon (20/2) - See above.  Except more "QUIT STEALING MY EXP DAMNIT".

Tanith (20/10) - Haven't used her, but she seems quite good just looking at stats.  That dodge value is kind of nuts, though I'm not sure if it will be when other people get to 20/10!

Ulki (7) - Also haven't used.  Going to assume he's typical laguz and good when transformed and shitty when not.  Not a winning trade if you ask me.

Titania (20/12) - Yeah I used Titania too much.  She's still usable now so I don't regret it too much, and she did the jobs I gave her well in the previous maps.

Devdan (20/4) - Meh.  Kind of bad for an already promoted unit but worked well for a C17 part 4 reinforcement slayer.

Maurim (9) - Comes with Demi Band!  That's a pretty sweet equip.  Overall he's pretty good but not someone I'd use unless I have to, and usually I don't have to.

Sothe (1) - lol sothe

Lethe (3) - Transforms on turn 1!  That's about all she has going for her.

Stefan (20/8) - Never used him.  That sword is pretty kickass though!

Makalov (10) - I have way the hell too many paladins.  This one's got the immediate boot.

Soren (9) - Well, he's... okay.  Adept is nice when it triggers, but he has issues in Str and well, basically everything else to some extent.  I can see him being useful but I'd take Ilyana/Tormod over him any day, honestly.

Zihark (10) - Owned by Mia.

Mordecai (2) - TANK!  That is all.

Kieran (12) - TOO MANY GODDAMNED PALADINS

Brom (8) - Owned by Gatrie I guess.  I'm not a fan of Knights so I'm definitely not going to use two.

Rhys (9) - Well, he's the only healer before Mist joins so he's useful then but afterwards *flush*.  The guy can't take a hit worth squat.

The World Ends with You - I'm on Joshua Day 7.  Beating the boss at L1 Normal was incredibly easy.  I didn't even need to heal.  Now L1 Hard is a different story...  I did get him down to half health so I just either need some better threads/stats/or just get better at dodging.  Probably will go with a combination of the three.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: May 11, 2008, 01:57:58 AM »
Chapter 13: You can recruit Astrid turn 1 then move her behind your other units pretty easily. You have to shove Ike 2-3 times first, though. Shove more!

Chapter 15: Yeah I never used Sothe here, just Volke. Sothe is just epic, although you can of course keep him safe if you're dedicated. Agreed about the laguz transforming thing. They always gain two move when transformed, for what it's worth (something I'd already noticed, but it's reasonable not to by this point), but yeah that could have been done better.

Chapter 16: Well you know anything can be behind doors, so opening them near the start of your phase so you can move a tankier unit in there (given what you've said about your Gatrie, he'd work well!) if need be. I'm not really a fan of this mechanic, granted.

Chapter 17: They're trying to go for a EPIC SUPER-LONG BATTLE but didn't want to starve you for items or save points, is the point.

Oh yeah! Forgot this earlier.

Wild ARMs 4 - Finished. Divine Weapon killed me twice with Prismatic Laser uber-hax, final form wasn't too bad though (opposite of my first playthrough). Game remains awesome. Not quite flawless but pretty close! Think it may have snuck past S3 into my #3 RPG slot. Sexy. Need to do the aftergame so I can finally fight Ragu and beat the second set of Super Jude Bros. games.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: May 11, 2008, 06:09:42 AM »
TWEWY:  Got all the reports.  Fought the Spoiler boss on Easy - he was pretty decent.

Missing one Noise - some rare frog I've got to go hunt the Shibuya River for.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: May 11, 2008, 11:13:35 AM »
The Cat Set each reduce the reboot time by 15% and if all three are equiped, it also cancels the initial boot time. A must need for infinite combo loops.
Also, if you want to do boss time attack on hard/ultimate, try after you have the full Black Planet set and SOS boost equipments and blitz it through.

"Track down and eliminate all of this chapter's Pig Noise Symbols.
   Symbol near the blue book banner in Shibukyu Main Store, the
   only way to kill it is to close your DS right at the beginning of
   the battle."

The sleep pig?
The sleep sign seems obvious enough at hinting the hibernation mode....

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: May 11, 2008, 01:22:24 PM »
Atelier Iris - Replaying this instead of playing Persona 3.  About to head to Acrose for the first time.  Some parts of the game are quicker than I thought (Lita getting wings stuff), some stuff is slower (like uh where I am now).  Guess I am remembering the order incorrectly and forgetting a fair bit of backtracking, which I guess is a series standard.  Oh well, still think the game is worth the time to play once at least.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: May 11, 2008, 03:48:08 PM »
The sleep pig?
The sleep sign seems obvious enough at hinting the hibernation mode....

No, the sleep sign seems obvious that you should kill the pig before it wakes up.  I don't know of any other games that use Sleep Mode as a gameplay feature (other than AWDoR's sound room music player), so it's not even remotely obvious that it should be used there.

BvS:  Got the Father's Knows Best team.  Seems like an even trade with RoShamBo Redux.  Lose 1 range, 3 levels, and the minor stamina bonus, but gain +2 Strength.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: May 11, 2008, 04:18:24 PM »
There's a puzzle in Phantom Hourglass that requires it I believe, but it makes it considerably more obvious.

If killing sleeping pigs by sleeping yourself was wanted to approach anything APPROACHING halfway-close to obviousness, then you'd need to be able to damage regular enemies by sleeping or some NPC in the game would have to think about some stupid clue leading in that direction. I cannot understand what sort of convuluted logic someone must run through to jump to the conclusion that sleep mode will kill a sleeping pig. A friend I was speaking to beat that battle by accident when they closed the DS in exasperation after getting sick of trying to beat it, and I had the answer overly alluded to by someone else.

I think I'll complain about SHOWN A DREAM while I'm here. Putting the solution to a mission on a completely different day from the mission is utterly wrong and aggravating.

I can't see the Cat Set being worthwhile at all with those properties. Wasting half my pin slots just for those lame bonuses is not happy times.

Finally got all Minamimoto's clothes... I was initially planning on decking Neku out in them, but My Phones trash Min's bandana severely and also the jeans have an ability that only works on partners (haven't gotten around to getting the ability for bandana/coat yet).

Big Bang/Crunch aren't worth the wait and since they give you both at the same time effectively I see no reason why the heck Big Bang was storebought earlier. That was a waste of money, for all that money doesn't really matter any more. Still need one more ugly pin and four more planets, but with the mehness of combos so far I don't believe they're going to be worth the wait either.

Tried out Mingle Mode a bit. Um, I thought that aliens were supposed to be rare... yet it generally takes less than one or two hours to come across one, whereas running into a Civvie would be something that'd happen less than once a week IF you're lucky, let alone running into an ESPer. Especially since using Pictochat on my brother's DS to get a Civvie shows up that they only give off 20 PP how worthwhile -_-
In any case, the 100PP gains from Aliens completely trashes shutdown EXP, that takes 16 hours 40 for the same amount. I fear that I will find that shutdown EXP is needed more than Mingle PP though...

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: May 11, 2008, 04:21:09 PM »
...you... DO realize you can just fiddle with the DS clock for shutdown PP, right? Just set the calendar on your DS seven days forward and start the game up, instant PP.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: May 11, 2008, 04:29:37 PM »
That's what we call 'cheating'.

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: May 11, 2008, 04:42:05 PM »
Eh. The fact that it would be pathetically easy to prevent it from working (Make a note of the last couple of times the game was saved, or even just the original date when started up), and that there's no such restriction makes me a have a bit of a nod-and-wink response toward that trick. I admire you for your integrity, however!

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: May 11, 2008, 05:47:02 PM »
Yeah, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl specifically screws you over if you change your DS clock, so they could have prevented it if they wanted to.

I guess they decided they'd fucked over players enough already.

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: May 11, 2008, 06:09:41 PM »
Mana Khemia: Cleared out Heaven's Path and reached chapter 6.

MK's still a lot of fun, as it does an incredible job of capturing the feel of high school/college and the nostalgia that tends to build there. It also shows why it's kinda stupid, since really, you're just screwing around with a bunch of like minded people. Yet, the game still entrances and makes you want to play more. Go figure.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: May 11, 2008, 11:54:05 PM »
Halo: Just cleared Silent Cartographer. Meh.

FFTA: Currently on hold, as I can only play it when I'm babysitting and I have three weeks off from that.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: May 12, 2008, 12:30:11 AM »
I can't see the Cat Set being worthwhile at all with those properties. Wasting half my pin slots just for those lame bonuses is not happy times.

....ha?
Are you serious? 45% reboot time reduction, do you know this mean? Combined with Grave Marker and Energy Shot (bomb) you can have a infinite combo of doom that even rapes Hanekoma on Ultimate. Go try one of my Infinite Loop set up and see for yourself. Most of all, they are the only reboot time reductions badges that can be used together with the brokeness of Royal queen. Combind with the like of Piercing Pillar and Earth Quake, they make awsome grunts killer. I never understand the logic of more attack badges the better when most badges have damage multiplier below 50%, I'd rather boost the usable time of the few badges that has higher multpliers.

While Black Planets are outright evil, x3 to your damage out put.

These set badges are actually easy to get if you can get multiple models of DS. As they are all buyable, just one badges per set per DS. You must switch machine if you want to buy different ones, or you can mingle. Though usually only Black Jupiter ever matters whether it is buyable or not, consider who drops it.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: May 12, 2008, 05:44:19 AM »
Tales of the Abyss: COMPLETED!

And now you get a *MEEPLE RANT*

First off, of course...

*SPOILERS*

However, I will be primarily comparing TotA to another game to make the thing more coherent or something.  Actually, I have no clue why, figured I'd do a different style and such.

What game do I choose?
...if you said Hoshi, you all fail at life, and should shoot yourself in the face.

Actually, decided to compare it to something very similar, and of a similar time frame.  What game? Star Ocean 3, naturally.  The games use a similar core battle system, both are close enough that they can be considered contemporaries, etc.  Also, Star Ocean 3 is a game I considered to be the best at this style of RPG til this day, so I figured it'd be a good comparison in that regard, as if TotA held up to it well, it'd be a really good game!  If it doesn't...depends how much it fails in comparison, etc.

Anyway, where to start...well, gameplay I guess.  Tales games have always been 2D Games.  They worked at this.  They had a good formula, and it had specific fundamentals (like the concept of Air and Anti Air attacks dealing with Air Enemies, something far more common than in STar Ocean games.)  So...why did TotA change it?  Yes, its an extension of ToS, which admittedly, I overrated at first (complicated situation, won't get int it), but...the issue is, they didn't do enough for the 3D Aspect.  The game felt like a watered down Star Ocean instead of a Tales.
Star Ocean 3 had more fluid controls for example; to Run, you didn't need to press an extra button down to take advantage of the 3Dness.  Attacks were a lot more AoE oriented, and winning fights didn't end up being "RUN AROUND BATTLE FIELD WHILE IDIOT ENEMY CHASES YOU!" That never really worked.  It didn't work in Tales games cause 2D Battles = far more limited terrain = hey you just got cornered! Congratulations Dumb shit!  This made those games a lot more interactive.
However, TotA, I often felt just using Free Run was Auto Win in many cases.  Game just didn't feel balanced for it.  It really felt like they forcefully shoved a Tales game, something that works with 2D, into a 3D Battle system, compared to a fluid 3D Battle system ala SO3.  Also, TotA didn't really have any interesting niches the way Star Ocean 3 had Fury; it was the same stuff Tales games have had.

On the brightside, Tales games have decent core gameplay, so the game was never truly boring.  However, as I said, I felt a lot of the 3D Aspect was wasted, and often, enemies took advantage of it more than you when it wasn't free run related.  It was only late game that they started giving attacks that actually meshed with a 3D Environment, compared to Star Ocean 3 which gives you a nice big AoE attack earlish in the game through, say, Hammer of Might.

Next off...pacing.  TotA fundamentally fails in this regard.  Star Ocean 3's pacing I don;t quite remember, but I don't remember things dragging.  At all points, I remember feeling like I was accomplishing something, and there was plenty of gameplay.  TotA had a lot of "Go to this town, talk to this guy, now go to this town and talk to this guy! Repeat about 5 times and you will FINALLY GET A DUNGEON!!!"  And here we have the entirety of the Post Absorption Gate of Tales of the Abyss.  The plot was so superficial at that point too; it was basically forcing on point after point that just felt like "ok, so the villains are trying to make a replica world, and its being more obvious, we get the point" and then they try throwing philosophical BS regarding "EXISTENCE!!" and what not.

Which segues into the plot.  Now, TotA's plot wasn't bad at first...until they fell into the usual Tales Syndrom of ELEMENTAL DUNGEONS! GO TO ALL OF THEM CAUSE THERE'S A SECRET THING THERE!  Every fucking Tales game but ToL (which is different) and ToD (Which has other issues) has this.  Its pure retarded filler that's just not fun.  There's no actual plot going on, just "ok, we did this here, lets see what we can talk about here!" and move on.  At least in ToP, ToE and ToS, you got something out of it (namely summons.)  This is one thing that stood out to me; Star Ocean 3 completely lacks these stock elemental dungeons in this regard.  Yes, there's a snow dungeon...early in the game where it makes sense, since you're breaking out of an Ice Country.  Yes, there's a Fire Dungeon...but again, there was plot reasons behind it, felt more like "oh, lets just turn this into our token Fire Dungeon!"  TotA though? YOu had a bunch of stuff before it, then you reach a point where its "FIND THE SEPHIROTH TREES!" and they kind of default to "ELEMENTAL DUNGEON SPAMMING AWAY!"

But what about the good stuff?  Well, the whole "Religion isn't innately evil, just some of the higher ups running it are!" thing was a nice refreshing direction.  The whole clash of different countries, world powers, etc. was interesting too cause you really couldn't tell what the true relationships, motives, etc. of each country was.  For SO3, you got a realistic version of SO2 at first (you appear on an underdeveloped planet, shit happens cause of you.  In this case, its "You people with advanced technology, help us win the war!" makes a lot more sense than "WARRIOR OF LIGHT!")  The whole convoluted of TotA's plot wasn't so bad, just hard to follow at times, though it ended up putting itself together in the end.
...but then Van falls into the Absorption Gate, and the Fake Ending occurs.  Ok, fine, whatever...THE RESULTING PLOT AFTER IS JUST HORRIBLE.  Its basically "Van's pulling a Xanatos Roulette, those that should be dead aren't cause of a YOU DIDN'T SEE THE BODY BS, and there's replicas.  Oh yeah, and Mohs is douche."  This is also where the pacing fails, as you spend hours doing much of nothing til finally you get a "Ok, go here to accomplish this!" This is the first time in an RPG I was so excited to go to a dungeon just cause it was a freaking dungeon.   It was just a bunch of headdesking.  They even pulled FF9's Disc 4 Plot of "Hey look, the evil Mist Miasma is now covering the world again!" somewhere in there, except instead of just being "Beat the final dungeon to resolve this" its "Lets go on a fetch quest!"  Then they toss in a whole CLONES ARE PEOPLE TOO! thing for no reason, which...argh, the fact that I just wanted the game to end 8 hours before that point was bad enough.  Egads was this stalling.  You shouldn't have only 4 dungeons in 15 hours of plot *UNLESS* you are like Xenosaga and the dungeons are really fucking long.

Now, lets look at Star Ocean 3's Disc 2 plot, which I feel is close enough to a similar case regarding a split in plot, since the style the plots take is definitely a shift there, much like Post Absorption Gate.  Star Ocean 3, we now get off that planet and deal with the actual threat in a more macrocosm way (which is odd since you were already dealing with most of an entire planet, but Star Oceans are weird like that!)  It then decides to rip off the Matrix with 4D, and yeah.  First off, let me say, I LIKED that twist.  Yeah, yeah, its weird and screwed up, but it worked considering, and it wasn't tossed out of nowhere (I didn't see it coming, but it made a certain amount of sense considering.  Out of nowhere would be "Hey look, this is the truth! No, it plays no real impact on the previous events nor does it explain anything, BUT IT MATTERS FOR THE REST OF THE GAME!")  This kept the game interesting.

That's the main difference between the plot styles in both games.  Star Ocean 3 was generally focused.  It dealt with one thing at a time, and while several goals might be established, it'd deal with one in depth.  TotA felt like it had to deal with at least 3 at a given moment.  It made for a much less enjoyable story as a result.  I'd rather not have to refer to every single plot detail and remember how everything connects perfectly just cause a game can't stay focused.  Yes, I like piecing things together, but I prefer them coming together over time rather than "lets do 3 parts of a puzzle separate, then SHOVE THEM TOGETHER! ...wait, we're still missing pieces, damn!" When I do a puzzle (which is admittedly almost never), I prefer to work one piece at a time, and things slowly come together.  I don't look at multiple parts of the puzzle and keep hoping something will connect from Part A to Part B or C.  That's what TotA's plot felt like at times. 

Next off the Overworld.
...I refuse to talk about this.  Mostly cause everybody already knows about this.  I'll just add in "only way this could be worse is if they somehow applied Wild ARMs Search into the game."

Skits...well, SO3 lacks anything comparable, so I can't use that.  However, TotA's skits were generally...unamusing.  They lacked the humor ToL's skits had before, and there were SO MANY that the serious ones felt like they were just recycling the previous plot details, and adding a new outlook on it which frankly just made me go "Um, ok, whatever, can we get going?"  Yes, they're optional, but there's an occasional gem in the mix that I don't like to miss, which makes you have to deal with all the crap.  There's also an occasional decent serious one at that.
The main problem is that TotA lacked comic relief on the PC end...well, decent anyway.  Jade's comedic style was completely one dimensional; it was all pure sarcasm.  Works at first, but gets old.  Anise just wasn't funny considering her role.  Mieu had the whole ULTRA NAIVE THING...which again, they didn't do enough with.  The other characters were all generally serious (for all that Tear had the whole "weakness to cute stuff" quirk, but that was played so rarely it never mattered.)
Compare that to, say, Tales of Legendia.  The characters are generally much funnier, the chemistry for them works better (Jay vs. Moses is such a sitcom duo, for example), and even the serious stuff often tossed in a punchline to make even those worth reading which didn't hurt.  The Skits were far more enjoyable for that reason here.

Lastly, back to gameplay...
Character differences in TotA weren't nearly as well defined as SO3.  Elfboy ranted about this once, but the two principle controlled characters are Luke and Guy (and Asch should he count.)  They're different...but still feel similar when played.  Anise is just kind of awkward, and better left on AI for magic, Jade's physicals are useless, and also far better as a mage, Natalia and Tear are healers, thus better kept as AI for that reason (also Natalia takes a while to learn decent physical skills for comboing.)
SO3? The two swordsmen in that are Fayt and Albel...who play ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ALIKE.  Fayt's about hitting hard and fast, Albel's about spamming stuff.  Then we have Nel, whose a Ninja thus mixing things up in regarding Range, melee, speed, etc.  Cliff whose a powerhouse, Maria whose a range whore, Sophia whose a mage that is actually control friendly, Adray who...uhh...Adray.  Roger who is unique enough, if scrubby, Peppita whose a support character who, again, is controller friendly, and Mirage whose a variation of Cliff.

See the thing above? The entire SO3 cast works a lot better PC Controlled than the TotA cast, and the options are far more interesting and there's more of them.  Closest similarities are Cliff and Mirage, and they have their differences.  It leads to a more diverse experience.

So...yeah, TotA's really not looking good compared to SO3.

Actually, at this point, I'll stop the comparison, since I'm working on CASTS!!!!

Luke: Not sure if I actually like him, mostly cause the whole angst near the end left a bad taste in my mouth.  However, he was well done beyond that, going from snobby rich kid who can't think of anything but himself to an actually decent fellow.

Tear: Is pretty awesome overall.  Liked her pretty much from the start as she was telling Luke to shut up at every moment, cause lets face it, early game Luke is annoying as heck.  The chemistry between her and Luke made for a decent couple, and...yeah, I'll just say she was generally solid in all regards.

Jade: His humor side kind of sucks.  Its the same joke over and over again. "Hey Jade, you're not tired!" "Oh, but of course I am! I'm practically falling over on the inside from exhaustion!" It was kind of funny at first, but then, its predictable and bland.  His serious stuff was generally solid however.  I didn't think he was as much of a prick as people who hate him made him out to be (felt more like that's just how he was as a person, not trying to intentionally putting people down.)  So yeah, I guess I fall between the Jade lovers and the Jade Haters <_< >_>

Anise: FAILS. She's an attempt at a realistic version of that archtype...which is to say, YOU WANT TO PUNCH HER IN THE FACE.  And the characters give her credit for this, the fuck? Betrayal stunt was forced, and then your characters are all like "Its ok, we're friends right!" ARGH! No, die bitch.

Guy: The general nice guy whose the kind of guy you want as a best friend.  The Girl fear thing...I was afraid when I realized they were going to make a serious plot point from it (since normally this is a pure humor thing), but it ended up working better than I expected.  Not much to say about him, just likable, and doesn't really do anything that'd make me want to wring his neck.  Even the whole stunt at the peace treaty felt believable given the circumstances.

Natalia: She showed potential early.  Princess who likes to take action and wants to help rather than sit by passively.  However...she eventually can be summed up by the following statements:
A. Asch Obsession
B. Parental Angst
C. NOT A REAL PRINCESS WHY DOES EVERYONE STILL LOVE ME?

Ok, point C was actually neat...except the game kind of rushed through it.  Point B...she resolves it early, but then...unresolved it cause some guy is her father despite her having no actual attachment?  Sorry, but I found that hard to believe.  From what I understand in real life, Children who usually meet their real parents after being adopted after that much time tend to feel nothing (maybe some initial excitement.)  The whole BLOOD TIES!!! thing was just stupid after they just dealt with "EXPERIENCES MATTER MORE! Who needs blood when you have 17 years of memories!"  I'd find it more believable if, say, Natalia was more upset at how she was the indirect cause of Largo becoming who he is and the death of her Birth Mother, but no, it was all "WAH MY REAL FATHER IS MY ENEMY!"  Argh, so forced, I felt.

Asch obsession...you know, if Asch was likable and they did more with that relationship, I could actually care about it.  Pity they, you know, don't.

Ion: Nice Foil of Luke.  Same situation, but reacts completely differently.  Not much else to say, just solid.  Well, they really should have done more to make him look...I dunno...MALE.  The voice didn't help, but they could have at least given him a hair style that looks male.  I mean, they did it with Sync, why'd they give Ion those wear locks?

Mieu: Forced in Mascot who existed to be cute.  That's...really all there is to it.  They tried to go at an angle of "he's so naive that he loves everything even when he's mean at, isn't it cute ^_^" I guess, but again, they overplayed that role in skits cause there's TOO FUCKING MANY OF THEM.

Asch: Jackass.  Yeah, ok, I'll grant he had good reasons to angst, whine, and hate stuff, but for fuck sake, you can lighten up from time to time.  One moment that sticks out to me was in Grand Chokmah.  At first, I thought he was doing something actually interesting, finally coming out and out and telling Luke why he hates him ("Shut up with the inferiority complex! Try to act superior at least, TRY to pretend your better, something! I can't stand you putting yourself down like that!") ...except its undermined when he basically says the opposite thing right after ("Don't think I can ever accept a Replica like you being better than me!" or some such.)  It'd be one thing if the response was something like "But just cause I'm saying this doesn't mean I am willing to accept you're superior."  It was this scene that made me head desk and want to strangle Asch, frankly.  Completely kills his one shot at salvaging his character.
Such a character that backfired its not even funny.

Dist: Is Dist.  Game needs more of him.  Actually, this applies to ANY game; all games need more Dist.

Largo: Is a lamer.  At first, he's your generic Big Henchman...but the Natalia plot just really failed.  And the whole "I believe in Van cause he's destroying us all to create a better future!" thing was just stupid.

Arietta: WAAAH YOU KILLED MOMMY DIE!!!! ...amazing how she's so much better than Anise still.  I guess the lack of screen time helps her.

Sync: Ok, at first, he's the Annoyingly Persistent Henchman.  Ok, fine, whatever.  Cliche, but inoffensive.  At the Absorption Gate, they give him backstory and some resolve.  Ok, fine, whatever, still nothing bad. 
...then they BRING HIM BACK TO LIFE FROM WHAT SHOULD BE CERTAIN DEATH? FUCK. no, that's far worse than "YOU DIDN'T SEE THE BODY!"  His last scene's speech was just emo to an extreme, and just plain ridiculous no matter how you look at it.  Utter fail, etc.  He deserves his hate.

Legretta: TOKEN FEMALE HENCHMAN AWAY! That's really all she did.  Oh, yeah, forgot the whole "I WANT TO SLEEP WITH VAN!" thing.  Whatever.  She also wouldn't shut up with the whole "You're too slow Tear!"  Yeah, whatever, this game doesn't have very good villains frankly.

Mohs: Why did he have so much screen time in the last parts of the game instead of Dist?  Yes, despicable, yes a prick, but he overstayed his welcome.  You needed to kill him the instant he transformed into that monster thing.  Just pathetic the role he served; its a tool that they pretended wasn't a tool.

Van: He's really good at first, actually.  The way he manipulated Luke was just brilliant.  From there, he became a pretty straightforward villain.  Not very offensive, but nothing special.  Worked for that.  Then he pulls the whole "Die...wait! Now I WILL USE THIS TO MY ADVANTAGE AND MAKE YOU MORE FUCKED OVER!" Manipulating Luke was a Xanatos Gambit; that's fine! The Lorelei Bullshit was a Xanatos Roulette, which was just stupid.  It basically had him say "I have lost faith in humanity! Yes, I'm a humans fail villain but I'm going to mask it with pretty words, and try to create a utopia with CLONES!!!"  Way to have a character degrade guys.

so...yeah, I'm tempted to give the game a 6/10.  I was thinking 7/10 around Absorption Gate, but all the stuff after it was just painful.  Gameplay was solid enough, just stands out as being so much worse than Star Ocean 3, the plot starts off fine, but then becomes so boring and dull (hey, beats OFFENDS EVERYTHING WITHIN A 20 MILE RADIUS like some games have *looks at XS3*), and the games flaws were just too ever present to really fully enjoy the game.  The rushed job really shows.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: May 12, 2008, 08:46:21 AM »
For those playing at home, that was 3,380 words folks.  The person who guessed closest without going over wins... A BRAND NEW CAR.

Oh, yeah, on topic.  Uh.

TF2:  Got the Kritzkreig.  It is fun.  Very situational, though.  I think I like the medigun better. 

Um.  Yeah.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: May 12, 2008, 08:56:08 AM »
His points are pretty valid though, it is that kind of stuff that made me give TotA 7ish thoughts where I liked it.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: May 12, 2008, 09:10:41 AM »
Oh, I didn't actually read it.  His points may very well be valid.  I'm just exercising my right as an asshole to make fun of Meeple for writing a review of a game that is longer than 2/3rds of my term papers this year.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1820 on: May 12, 2008, 09:11:08 AM »
I thought TotA was pretty good, but my expectations after ToL had been cut down like a man having his legs sawed off cuts down on height.

It's almost like they did it on purpose.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: May 12, 2008, 10:30:47 AM »
TotA is pretty good, but the pacing of the plot is shit no matter how you look at it and Free Run is pretty broken playerwise.  Not to mention the cast is completely and totalyl tropetastic like Meep says.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: May 12, 2008, 11:13:09 AM »
....ha?
Are you serious? 45% reboot time reduction, do you know this mean? Combined with Grave Marker and Energy Shot (bomb) you can have a infinite combo of doom that even rapes Hanekoma on Ultimate. Go try one of my Infinite Loop set up and see for yourself. Most of all, they are the only reboot time reductions badges that can be used together with the brokeness of Royal queen. Combind with the like of Piercing Pillar and Earth Quake, they make awsome grunts killer. I never understand the logic of more attack badges the better when most badges have damage multiplier below 50%, I'd rather boost the usable time of the few badges that has higher multpliers.

Yes, I know what 45% reboot reduction means. It means that my primary offense, Tin Pin Blade, saves 1.35 seconds of reboot time. I suppose some people might have the reflexes to do something worthwhile in that time but I do not.

More attack badges isn't the point. Fighting bosses that my stats haven't rendered irrelevant yet I'd normally have something along the lines of: Tin Pin Blade, Pig, Guardian Angel, Monkey Leisure, and Psych Support, with the sixth pin slot varying between Black Saturn if I'm chaining up a heap of generic noise after it or Kanesada if I'm not.

Grave Markers are highly unimpressive from what I've seen of them (Boomer and Fresh Line). They also only have 9 and 8 seconds reboot time respectively, meaning that a 45% deduction isn't doing a whole lot for them, so I assume there's a better one with a longer reboot that I don't have yet.
Meanwhile Time Bombs (assuming that the pin you are talking about is one, since I don't believe I have it, and there aren't any items on the ultimate's field to use Pressure Bombs on unless I'm misremembering) require you to be ludicrously prophetic in determining that the enemy either isn't going to move from the spot you put the bomb, or that the enemy is going to move to the spot you did put the bomb, and don't even do especially worthwhile damage (again, this is just from the ones I've seen so who knows maybe the one you have in mind is incredibly upgraded from those).

These set badges are actually easy to get if you can get multiple models of DS. As they are all buyable, just one badges per set per DS. You must switch machine if you want to buy different ones, or you can mingle. Though usually only Black Jupiter ever matters whether it is buyable or not, consider who drops it.

I have to try this with my brother's DS, presuming I'm understanding you correctly. That's really bizarre if true.

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: May 12, 2008, 02:50:16 PM »
TotA is pretty good, but the pacing of the plot is shit no matter how you look at it and Free Run is pretty broken playerwise.  Not to mention the cast is completely and totally tropetastic like Meep says.

You mean tropetastic like TVtropes?
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: May 12, 2008, 04:17:27 PM »
I think he means tropetastic in that every single one of them is basically an archetype and the game relies on those archetypes and the shorthand indicators that come with those archetypes ("Tropes") for characterization instead of writing characters based entirely on charaterlogical credibility.

So, yes.  Like TVTropes, or more correctly like what TVtropes is talking about.