Register

Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 464201 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #200 on: January 06, 2008, 09:45:36 PM »
Is it wrong that I saw that as 'next round of plotholes' the first time I read it?

SRW plot. Plotholes are the entire point.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 06, 2008, 10:26:17 PM »
Combat swords wins by a couple of percent damage.  Daggers is fine and you are far more likely to have good daggers during T4 (with Moroes and Prince having good ones and Prince having a fixed weapon drop at least, both bosses easier than good Sword/mace in Kara, Netherspite isn't hard but Spiteblade drop rates hate everyone and Illhoof is just a whore).  If you play right and have things stacked in your favours it is still very doable to top raid damage with it.

Rule of thumb with a rogue is use whatever you have available.  If you can PVP that is Combat Swords with Arena weapons, if you hate that (like I do) and stick with PVE, then whatever you can get your hands on.

How did we get on to WoW again?

Edit - Oh Andy levelling his rogue.  Daggers suck for solo.  Get a something not a dagger dammit man.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Unoriginal

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 06, 2008, 10:38:39 PM »
Ah, yes, for leveling you *definitely* want Swords, running around murdering things with SS spam goes pretty quickly. 

As for myself, I originally chose Daggers due to my rogue initially being an alt(though recently my guild leader's been bringing that one over my mage, so the alt status may be going away soon), and getting good daggers was a great deal easier because no one else really wanted them.  I leveled with a Sword/Dagger build up 'til 60 or so though.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 06, 2008, 10:44:19 PM »
It doesn't even need to be a sword.  Mace or Fist will do for levelling.  Sword Spec is good, but it isn't going to make you kill randoms that much quicker than you will otherwise.  You can even keep your Dagger spec points since you get all the other shit you need from Combat anyway, you just sacrifice OH NOES 2% dodge for Imp SS, hella worth it even as a raiding Daggers spec because using a not-dagger is still great for the dailies grind or questing stuff.  Also nice for Flares duty on Curator.

Unoriginal

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 06, 2008, 10:47:10 PM »
Swords was the first thing to come to mind, but yeah, any slow weapon will do for the mainhand.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 06, 2008, 11:10:04 PM »
I'm actually kinda curious about the superiority of swords for levelling. I haven't tried them much lately (blame being specced out for Daggers) but I;m finding solo with them to be fairly quick and painless as well. Stealth + Distract + Ambush, Gouge, Backstab, Sinister Strike, Gouge, Backstab kills most anything at my level, and any crits tends to speed the process up, especially if I'm doing things below my level. Hell, middling greens tend to go down to Ambush, Gouge, Backstab and some white damage, if not just Gouge, Backstab, Sinister Strike.

Pyro

« Reply #206 on: January 07, 2008, 01:17:06 AM »
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

Finished. The game was fun, which is what I was expecting. It seemed oddly easier than FE8, in a way. I suppos ethats because I was a little more familiar with the system.

To start with, the plot of the game was actually fairly decent. At its heart its the story of a young man and woman coming into their own, set in a politically interesting world (something FE8 sorely, sorely lacked). The beginning was interesting because of the moderately interesting characters and the somewhat removed view of everything that was happening between Daien and Crimea. That removal helped to set up the intro in a way that felt like Ike was being pulled into gradually. Its a pretty common theme, but it was well executed (good execution being a recurring theme in FE9). The sudden shift of responsibility to Ike resulted in absolutely excellent things being done with his character. Ike isn't a goody goody hero. He may be idealistic, but he is a mercenary at heart. Not the pansy emo JRPG style mercenary, but somewhat grim. He accepts that his job isn't pretty, but remains true to his moral compass. That balance makes for an interesting main, leagues ahead of Eirika (main I chose for FE8). The journey across the continent is pretty cool.  Gradually gaining allies, learning more about the world and the key characters who reside in it, and all of this being done at a constant and good pace. No complaints to be had.

High points of the story include: Ike's interaction with most anybody, the Greil mercenary intra-company chemistry, the interaction between Laguz and Beorc, and the growth of the cast over the course of the game.

Visually, the game isn't impressive. The 3D battles are kind of bland, and the overhead map is pretty undetailed. I found the character designs themselves to be enjoyable, so that was good enough for me.

Gameplay... FE9 isn't a very hard game, but sinces its FE one PC dying is essentially game over if you want 100% survival (which I did). It started about as I'd expect, with some maneuvering and whatnot with pretty scrubby enemies. A pretty standard SRPG with a panic button in the form of Titania. Mounted unit's advantages were a cool addition from FE8, but nothing I was excited over. Once you took over the company though, things got fun.

Seeing the skill system in action is a blast. Actual customization in an FE game being something I wasn't expecting. Bonus Experience was something I found tremendously helpful, and it made even project units more usable, always a plus. The game was still pretty easy, very few things actually being able to put up a fight against the party.

Individual character thoughts, I guess.

Ike: Sick and wrong. At the start, he's simply a good unit who is still vulnerable. As he levels, he just got better and better to the point where he had excellent offense, durability, damage... Just a great unit. I hit 20 for him and couldn't promote, so I used him as a safety button ala earlygame Titania while my other units were training. After promotion? He started to smash things apart. Aether was a great form of crit boost, and his damage/durability/speed/evade were all-around crazy. I think he could have soloed a good portion of the game without much trouble. Endgame... he got Ragnell, which just... unlimited uses, ranged, awesome power, puts his defense to the point where he has no problems laughing at enemies... Ike became something flat out broken. Throw in a crazy evade boost from an Oscar support and he was a god. DL Heavy. He may not double average (or he may, I don't know), but ranged counters+2HKO damage+psycho physical durability+good evade+Aether is hard to pass up.

Paladins: Titania was a good panic button early on, but she really flattened out later to be pretty unimpressive on the durability/damage front. She was still decent, as paladins in FE9 are just awesome. Being mounted is an excellent boon in this game. Oscar was good enough in the beginning, but by the endgame he was an excellent unit. Astrid started at level 1, but once I saw Paragon and started using her, she just obliterated everything stupid enough to come across her while laughing at any form of offense the enemy tried to mount against her. Geoffery looked about as good, even though I didn't use him. DLwise, I guess they are Middles with good durability, since I don't think any double average. Astrid might be a Heavy if she doubles average. I'd take her at 20/20 instead of 20/15 due to Paragon. Geoffery still doesn't even then. Middle works for the lot of them.

Mages: Its always good to be able to hit Res instead of defense, especially from afar. The constant need for protection was a nuisance, and probably outweighed the usefulness. Not being able to Double much later on definitely hurt their value. I ended up not using many endgame, but I suppose I could have. FE mages, so the physical durability sucks. On the bright side, they tend to be decentish at dealing damage and counters. Light should work. Their physical durability is just... yeah

Swordmasters: Swordmasters have fun offense, but they tend to not take hits that well (at least, not as well as paladins), so they aren't supremely awesome. Enemy accuracy not sucking made their good evade less useful than it ws in FE8. Fun units to use, but not gamebreaking. DLwise?Double most everything. Thats always a nice start. Combine that with decent damage and an appreciable critical rate. The lack of storebought Killer weapons sucks, but they kind of make up for that in their skills. Mia has Vantage, which gives her a nice hit advantage in physical fights. Zihark has Adept, which is always awesome. Stefan's Astra is cool, but the activation rate is really low. Lucia is surpisingly unimpressive. I think they make Heavy off the usual FE swordmaster logic, minus the frequent criticals but with a few interesting tricks.

Mist: Fun unit to use. Mounted+Healer is a great combo, as she can get to pretty much anything and still leave herself safe from harm. My Mist... capped strength and had shockingly decent offense, being able to double everything too. She made an awesome mage-murderer due to having great Res+Physical damage. I found she made good use of the Sonic Sword as well, being able to hit the worse enemy defense stat and remain out of threat range for physical counters. Its such a shame about that pdef. Its epic. DLwise she's a Light, but at least a fun one. I'd probably give her an A in swords, so she can use a Silver Blade, which makes her damage not totally suck. She still has that whole epic failure pdef weighing her down.

Elincia: She's like Mist, but flying and trades in some Res for some defense, provided she's using Amity. She couldn't really damage things like Mist could due to lacking the head start Mist did in Swords and so being unable to wield good weapons. Amity's Mt simply wasn't enough at endgame, she had troubles hurting enemies who weren't mages. Still, not totally frail staff user+mounted unit is great.

Laguz: I didn't use them much at all. The times I used them early on made them look pretty awesome, but I figured (rightly, I think) that it would be better to concentrate on human units. Nasir was decent enough in the last battle, so I've got no complaints. DLwise they all kind of suck. Being unimpressive statwise and having to either do nothing for several turns or having a time limit on what they can do. Lights, likely. The exception being Laguz royals, who are special and don't count. They are High Heavies, probably.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 07, 2008, 04:01:15 AM »
Swords are Press 1, repeat until target is dead.

With added bonus of better OH FUCK buttons with Adrenaline Rush and Blade Flurry being actually useful against randoms because Daggers has to much fiddly stuff to burn down multiple mobs cleanly.

They are probably better at it than before with Blind being componentless, but meh.

Oh yeah, and Pickpocket as you level to make Picklock training less of a pain in the arse.  Macro it in with Cheap Shot/Ambush.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 07, 2008, 04:18:16 AM »
DMC2: Up to Mission 11.  Was planning on finishing tonight!

...until I went to work and learned I have to be up early tomorrow, which is to say, I didn't want to get involved with something that'd keep me up late, so...yeah, it'll have to wait.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #209 on: January 07, 2008, 04:40:14 AM »
Swords are Press 1, repeat until target is dead.

The strategy you're thinking of is 111112 (repeat). Combat sword spec is so lame.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 07, 2008, 04:43:17 AM »
Things don't often live to Eviscerate.

Combat Sword is fun enough.  Anything outside of a raid is a grind and I will go with whatever makes the grind easier and less fidgetty like Daggers does.  I can't see anyone like Daggers if they hate sword either.

How is the pally tank thing going for you at the moment Rob?  They are freaking great at the moment.  If we could get our shit together in my guild we could have some real good fun times in ZA with one.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 07, 2008, 06:02:07 AM »
I am an awesome Pally tank. Generally regarded as one of the best on my server. Of course, I can't raid because nobody on my server starts after 9 PM and I work evenings. So I don't have tanking experience besides KZ (which I have tanked before the only late-night raid guild on the server broke up). I have finally gotten to the point where I can take anything that anyone throws at me and stay standing. It's awesome as hell.

I am content to get enough group invites every day that I can pick and choose where I want to go and then roll in my delicious Badges, though.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 07, 2008, 10:36:48 AM »
MapleStory- Almost to 109, so I've been doing all the quests leading up to Zakum. The Jump Quest is... ARGHNKWF NKLWF:NK:WF. Two maps of hell. I forgot why I hate platforming. I suck at it.

.hack//GU 3- Did the Heatwave Hound quest thing. Sakaki fails, as always. Fails, fails, fails. Worse than Stiener on a bender piloting a Shion powered, Allen co-piloted Red Wanker into a Rinoa concert filled with GA fanboys.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 10:39:44 AM by Hunter Sopko »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 07, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »
ToPr - The translation job they have done on this is really solid.  The OMG ARCHE IS NOTHIGN LEIK DEJAP SAY!!!! stuff is complete BS if this patch is remotely accurate nor is the adult content of the game.  There is jokes about sex holy shit look out!!!!  Arche says some vaguely suggestive things.  She doesn't "Fuck like a tiger" but it isn't like they were stuffing a whole new character down the player's throat.

Game is good, up to the Valhalla Plains battle thing and holy shit they really made that an exodus now, looooots more randoms to get to the boss, this is a good thing (normal encounter rate is lower overall, so you really feel it).  Game kind of died on me partway through, against 2 Draco-centaur things everyone stopped being able to cast spells or use items, they would just sit there until they got hit out of it.  Cless go poisoned and slowly died while I couldn't heal it, tried to run away but the enemy just decided to cast a spell, so the game is stuck with him casting a spell and does nothing.

Don't think it is the patch since I got almost all the way through the plains before it happened, not sure what is up.  Since I am playing it on a PSP there is a few places an error could have occurred.

IhatethisCPU

• When I get hit in the face, my body is taken over by the ghost of James Brown.
  • Denizen
  • ...Good night, and Gods help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 07, 2008, 08:28:27 PM »
Shadow Hearts: FtNW:
Finally rebeat the Umbral/Lady battle, after switching out Johnny and bringing in a vastly underleveled Masked Curvy Hilda to complement Mao, Ricardo and Frank. Full Bloom really is a lifesaver. ^_^'

After selecting NG+, I checked the games stats screen, and noticed that I'd kept Ricardo in my party at all times, after he became a PC, for a total of 457 battles. >_>' And I never used any Serenades, other than Hot Blood and Fated Day's End.

Suikoden 3:
Finished, again, after actually bothering to recruit Hortez and Guillaume to collect the full 108 stars. And I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me why. >_>

And now I'm planning on loading a earlier save, and having Nadir produce an all Suikodog edition of Romeo and Juliet.

Warriors Orochi:
Finally unlocked Tadakatsu, and as a result, Orochi. Have ended up using the fairly odd team of Mitsunari*Maxed.*, Nene, and Xiao Qiao. *Mostly because there's nothing like finishing Lu Bu by having a 12-year-old girl flying jump kick him in the face.*
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 08:35:30 PM by IhatethisCPU »
You wanna know when I'm gonna be there?
I'll tell you EXACTLY when I'm gonna be there...

When you least expect it.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 07, 2008, 08:37:17 PM »
Grim Grimoire. I'm about.. two thirds of the way through? Wonderful game, just what I needed. I can't hype it enough- and I'll be playing Odin Sphere after this. Vanillaware clearly knows how to both write and pace games.

Damnit, no spoiler text. But Lillet just cut a deal with Advocat.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 07, 2008, 11:08:02 PM »
Hah. Enjoy that bit. Lillet wins at life for the end of that cycle.

And...finally got around to refinishing Suikoden and FFT. The former remains mediocre, though I remain amused at how compressed its storytelling is (recruit 100+ characters and overthrow an empire in eighteen hours. Hah). Not playing anything else right now. I guess I should finish Blue's quest in SF, but...Tanzer.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 07, 2008, 11:14:41 PM »
recruit 100+ characters and overthrow an empire in eighteen hours. Hah

The great part is that 18 hours is a slow, relaxed playthrough of S1.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 07, 2008, 11:17:07 PM »
You could avoid Tanzer altogether and just do the Arcane Quest!  You'd get Stasis Rune in the end regardless, and that's all that really matters!

Anyway...

DMC2: Finished.

Plot is nonsensical.  I mean, harder to follow than CC.  No, I'm not kidding; one second you're escaping a city, then you're suddenly in some ancient ruins without any clue what you're suppose to do plotwise (gameplay wise, DMC2 is fairly straightforward so no real issues there at least.)  When you reach the end, you find some artifact you, the player, never heard of, but apparently Dante has been consciously looking for it, and Lucia whom he knows was there (and you didn't) and...yeah...

...game does stuff like this all the time.  Shale wasn't kidding; the game really is missing half its script.  Its not a case of "These things don't make sense til you play Lucia's story!" its a case of "They completely forgot to put in scenes that'd explain why Dante is where is he!" 

Plot silliness aside, game gets the visuals part done, which is nice; DMCs thrive on this.  What it didn't get right?  Pretty much all gameplay related things.  Game is linear beyond belief barring 2 sections near the end where you have to trigger a few switches at different parts of a room.
Fights are too easy; half of them can be won by sitting back and shooting your gun (the fact that they give you Submachine Guns makes this even easier later.)  Bosses were "Circle them, shoot Shotgun", some needed different guns, but none of the fast paced scare fests that were DMC1 bosses who would probably kill you if you screwed up more than twice. 
Enemies just aren't aggressive, or they lack range, or they take too long to do anything...yeah.  See, in DMC1, even scrub randoms could kill you, as late in the game, they would attack in these massive swarms, and while DMC2 had similarly large swarms...if not larger...DMC1 enemies ACTUALLY ATTACKED, DMC2 randoms just kind of jump around the screen a bit, maybe charge in for an attack, but...well, you get the point.

No, I don't have any intention of playing Lucia mode, unless someone can convince me its a different enough game play experience.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 08, 2008, 12:01:45 AM »
NG1-Done. Screwed up my savestate during the Jaquio battle(I did a seperate savestate to try and figure out the best way to beat him, hit the wrong button), but I beat the demon statue without much trouble anyway so fuck it.

Firstly, FUCK STAGE 6-2. Fuck the endless swarm of jetpack guys with shruikens, Fuck all the birds that pop out of fucking nowhere to knock you into fucking pits along with the fucking midget guys from fucking Castlevania. Fuck the fact you basically have to be perfect to not die. At least the other sections aren't too bad.

Ryu's Dad was a bitch until I figured out I could just hang up top the wall and completely avoid the Pokeballs and the man himself. Jaquio was similarily frustrating until I finally just stopped being so impatient and took my time in dodging all his fireballs. The Demon Statue you just have to blitz while keeping an eye on all the purple shit he spawn. Not toooooo bad.

Game is still pretty awesome, especialy for an NES game.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 08, 2008, 07:47:52 AM »
SO1 remake- Okay, I actually didn't guess Welche's true identity right. So no, she is not a 4D person, but someone who even tops that.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 08, 2008, 07:51:32 AM »
She is Claude's mother?

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 08, 2008, 08:04:32 AM »
MMZXA: Just got Model F!

Ok, so here I thought copying those bosses was cool and all. The first one you copy even has some uses (unique platforming abilities + Fire Elemental + hits 3 directions.)

...turns out the next two bosses are completely useless in terms of combat.  The Grass one CAN'T MOVE worth a damn, and exists purely for vine swinging.  IT still sucks in combat there, as when I was facing the Fefnir clone, despite hitting weakness, it was making my life much harder.  Oh, I have dubbed that form Roserademan <_<

Kyogreman, meanwhile?  Exists purely for underwater travel conveniences! Hurrah, joy, *Punts*

So yeah, way to waste a neat idea. there.  Model F seems to be its old self, with a more interesting Charged Shot now (MMZX's Charged Shot on Fx kind of sucked), and this is hardly bad, though would have preferred Model L or H.  Both would have given me Melee, and a Different Element, as I already HAVE fire.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 08, 2008, 09:09:48 AM »
She is Claude's mother?

No, she is Tri-Ace employee that broke the 4th wall. Serious.
She took pity on Ronix for he'll die int he next game.... I guess you can save him in So2 remake now with Welche HAX??

SRW OGG- After some tetsing and that. I discover SRX team has a some ridiculously good offence. First. Villeta version of HTB Cannon depsite is about 1000 less atk, actually cost only 60 en compare to Mai's 100..... That what, 42 after E-save? Now, do it this way. Put the entire SRX team together. Rai use R-Fomration once, Aya then sue it once. Then Mai use Double T-Link Knuckle. Then have Ryusei combine into SRX. Then Ryusei and Villeta HTB cannon once each, then count in the awakening...... And R-fomraton's en cost can be reduce... to 15 I think? With Aya's resupply, charges are so not running out either....
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 09:24:09 AM by Niu »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 08, 2008, 09:29:03 AM »
She is Claude's mother?

GORRAMIT, Iria looks JUST LIKE Claude now. I'm more skeptical about Ronixis and not the Mailman being Claude's father on account of that.