Register

Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 473344 times)

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #2150 on: June 06, 2008, 06:53:19 AM »
Yeah, I used the hidden temple a lot early on, and... it was good for stats but sucked ass because I had no money.  I went from 1 to 5 on my first or second day because of it, but got from 5 to 6 in a week because I had to start grinding for money.  I'd prefer a place where I can get Meat and stats, but meh; only good place for that it seems is the top of the mountain, but that's an area geared for much higher levelled characters.

I personally usually Hidden Temple for Stats and Barrel for money (Get stat items, sell for 150 meat each) early on. After 10, the Valley works well. As for leveling faster- get a Sombrero.

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: June 06, 2008, 07:42:35 AM »
Aww poor baby. I'm sorry you have to "deal" with me correcting yer correction. Besides, all I did was throw in my own side comment.

Chill the fuck out.  You're the one acting like a hostile dipshit about this.

Bite me Zenny.

~love Scar

I'm amused how he's reinforcing Zenthor's comment.

But in all seriousness, I would seriously prefer if this stopped now.  I'm not a mod or admin, but I am not exactly a fan of any of the flame wars I have witnessed on my comparably short time here, and I am definitely not interested in seeing one pop up here.  So with that, please cease and desist from further childish acts of the sort.

Thank you.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: June 06, 2008, 08:06:07 AM »
Chaos Wars- Started. (Shoulda picked up Odin Sphere for $20 too... oh well.) Wow... the Scar is right. The VAs in this game set voice acting back 15 years. They're as bad or worse as some of the original anime dubs. Oh well, just switched to the JP voices who... while only marginally better, are at least tolerable. Hiro rocks, as usual. The game is at least playable, if easy.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: June 06, 2008, 04:22:41 PM »
What's your (or anybody else's who is currently playing) character's name?  I'd be willing to send some decent (14 turns) cocktailcrafting drinks and help in sending you necessary but annoying-to-get quest items in exchange for Buffs or meat or whatever.  I have a lot of meat so getting many high-tier drink mixing items a day via the mall isn't too bad, especially once I get my Bartender-in-a-Box so drinks don't cost turns anymore.  Might be able to convince roommates to do similar services with potions and crap.

Tai:  I hear Seal Clubber looks fun.  Disco Bandit is pretty awesome, too.

My level 8 Accordion Thief is named Strago. I am creativity personified.

I actually just started a Seal Clubber named Mance Rayder, though, and got him to level 4 in about half an hour. Woohoo?

Taishyr

« Reply #2154 on: June 06, 2008, 05:06:41 PM »
I picked up Seal Clubber as well. Taishyr, creative, blah blah blah, got to level 3, could have done far more but I was busy doing the little silly sidequests since I usually don't bother at all.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: June 06, 2008, 05:20:00 PM »
Legend 2: Up to Tokiama Vaults, although I haven't started them yet. Been through Kishwai and Iyoto vaults in the meantime. Gamed a puzzle in Kishwai where I needed to get my entire party to the other side of the room and I've already forgotten what exactly was stopping it, but I could get three over simply and the fourth was causing problems, so I killed the fourth and carried him over with one of the others then revived him on the other side >_> game took revenge by dumping a heap of random enemies into the final part of the room getting in the way of the spells I needed to open that part with though which was entirely annoying and I had to wait for them to randomly walk onto the escape teleport square to end up in the section I was in, since I was severely low on spell components (also didn't have disspell and some of them were antimaged). An entirely less interesting gaming in Iyoto where I couldn't be bothered figuring out a teleport puzzle and used the fact that searching at your feet will automatically search in front of you if there was nothing below you (needed to get a key from a chest, making them take from the chest itself they walk around and open it from the front if possible, which just made them walk back into the teleport trap, whereas this lets you open it from the side). Generally what you want to do is block off the exits to the teleporters with characters so the trap won't trigger as it has nowhere to send the person to, but in this case there were four targets so I'd've needed to go looking for some wandering monsters, then lead them back there and paralyse them over the exits, which is not my favourite task in the world.

Spent some time after Iyoto wiping Kishwai off the face of the earth, unfortunately this just ended up with their castle now being owned by Tokiama instead of Imperia as I wanted. Imperia's armies should stop being so dense. I'd spend some time slapping Tokiama about except their armies are enemies I'm currently fighting so it's not as simple as attacking Kishwai.

Got Occam's Razor for the Assassin from the secret room in the Mad Monks after Kishwai Vaults. It randomly casts Forward Paralyse, Surround Paralyse, or Surround Missile Paralyse at a pretty fair rate when it hits something, and if you know anything about the game system you'll know that's pretty dandy. Freakishly annoying when your own characters get caught in it though >_> Fortunately I have several ways of applying Antimage now but it can still be a hassle getting that set up, especially at the start of banner encounters. Also got a secretish ring from trading the bones of the first boss that I had been lugging around expecting that they were a plot item, but I'm not entirely sure what it does.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: June 07, 2008, 01:05:00 AM »
Pokemon Pearl: Spent a good deal of time at the Battle Tower while on a plane trip a few weeks back - yeah, got lazy on posting here, haven't had reliable internet access for one.  After a couple of losses due to back luck (Hydro Pump hitting at -4 acc, Stone Edge missing), I opted to pull out the big guns: a pair of L100, EV trained Garchomp and Tyranitar I got from cloners.  Also perfect IVs on both which guarantees they're hacked (they're shiny to boot), but eh, I got them for BT user only.  Throw in my Bronzong for a third party member, for an all-sandstorm immune team.

Garchomp... is hideously overpowered for the Battle Tower.  With a Choice Band it OHKOs damn near everything with Earthquake/Outrage except Skarmories and Bronzongs, and I can usually stall those down those with Bronzong (though a Spikes/Roar Skarm nearly killed me once).  Even Palmer's Milotic falls to one hit from Outrage (hell, I've seen it get OHKO'd by Earthquake once).  Tore through the first Palmer fight, made it the second one for the first time ever, and beat that on the first try as well.  Garchomp 2HKO'd Regigigas and took an Ice Punch, then Cresselia came out and T-tar set up on it for free (Psychic/Shadow Ball for your offensive moves does that) to finish the match.  Finally lost on the 63rd match when a Hitmonchan countered Garchomp to death (think it had Focus Sash... wasn't fully paying attention), then Medicham swept the remainder of my team.

Pokemon Emerald: Bought it, beat it, began operation Unlimited Cloning Works.  Not much to say about the main game, I was hoarding all the OPG TMs like Earthquake so I opted to just run 3 Pokemon (Swampert, Swellow, Gardevoir) and rely on inflated levels and Garde buffing abuse to get through that.  Some time later, I trained up two aftergame Pokemon and started work on the Battle Frontier.  Mainly used the following 3 Pokemon:

Metagross @ Lum Berry (tried Choice Band out a bit, but prefer Lum)
Adamant nature
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Aerial Ace
Shadow Ball
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Attack, 6 Speed
IVs: 24 / 18 / 5 / 19 / 31 / 5 (HP DRAGON YES)

Got an Adamant Beldum with passable IVs on the first try, so I opted to use it.  The last two moves are a bit fillerish, but Aerial Ace has saved me from a couple of random Double Team abusers and I'm still debating Shadow Ball vs Rock Slide for the last slot.

Latias @ Leftovers
Bold nature
Dragon Claw
Calm Mind
Recover
Refresh/Safeguard (couldn't decide and ended up having one Latias with each via cloning)
EVs: 84 HP, 174 Special Attack, 252 Speed
Ivs: 6 / 21 / 5 / 9 / 9 / 2

Bold's a usable nature, but ;_; to those IVs.  Incidentally, Latias absolutely refused to show up when I specifically tried to hunt for it (and I spent several hours doing that), then turned up randomly while I was EV training Metagross.  Go figure.

Swampert @ Chesto Berry
Hardy nature
Earthquake
Surf
Ice Beam
Rest

Dunno the EVs/IVs since this is my starter from in-game.  It works well enough for beating up steels who resist Latias and grounds who might give Metagross problems.

This team has problems with bulky waters - I pretty much need Latias to CM up without getting haxed there - and Heracross, who swept my whole team once.  Works well enough for something that took relatively low amounts of work, at least.

Battle Factory: Blech, don't like the randomness of the Pokemon draw here.  Got a good Tauros (Adamant, Facade/Earthquake/Thrash/Swagger@Persim Berry) right away first run and mainly rode it to victory, then a good Heracross (Jolly, Megahorn/Earthquake/Bulk Up/Attract@Lum Berry) and Kingdra (Modest, Surf/Ice Beam/Dragonbreath/Rest@Chesto Berry) second run.  Third run I got utter crap for my starting selection and died on the first match.  Not touching this again.

Battle Pyramid: Neat place, since it's mainly an endurance test with plenty of strategic potential.  Lots of luck of course, but it's mostly of a managable sort.  Made some dumb mistakes the first time through that cost me Swampert and Metagross on the early floors, then Latias got haxed by a Linoone near the end.  Played more carefully on the subsequent run and made it through, then went back later and finished two more runs, beating Brandon on the first try since his team sucks.  Getting a Choice Band as a random item on the second run through was *really* nice.

Latias was key here for Refresh to heal away the status that randoms spam and Recover to heal any damage taken.  I used it as a lead except for the poison run where Metagross mostly led.  After the first failed attempt I opted to almost always run from randoms to conserve PP; incidentally running attempts are total BS here, Latias should not be struggling to get away from lower level Weezings ever.  Guess they did to up the challenge.  Trainers on the other hand I generally fought if I saw one, since they frequently gave me directions on the exit.  As for the Pyramid King, all Regi team had way too many shared weaknesses.  Swampert 2HKO'd the leadoff Regirock with Surf and easily Earthquaked Registeel down as well.  Switched Metagross into Regice's Ice Beam and promptedly OHKO'd it with Meteor Mash.

Battle Arena: Interesting idea, but it helps to train Pokemon specifically for it.  All out attacking seems to be the best strategy here due to the 3 turn limit and the one judge who scores based on how many times you (tried to) use an attacking move.  Latias was less than optimal here so I opted to try Swellow instead for a fast sweeper; this led to an amusing sequence where it was put to sleep by a Slowpoke's Yawn just in time for the next opponent, then prompty *won* a match it spent entirely asleep due to the enemy Shellder dicking around with Defense Curl then missing some shitty attacks like Supersonic.  Opted for just one round here then moved on.

Battle Palace: Argh this place sucks.  Hate the randomness, and even worse the turns when Pokemon just do nothing.  My Metagross has a supposedly always-attacking nature and four attack moves and still wastes turns sometimes.  -_-  Finished one round due to the opponents using NFE crap then moved on.  At least the BP here is nice, initial 4/5 on the first round as opposed to the 1 BP for starters crap that Arena/Pike/Dome pull.

Battle Pike: Got a scare first time when my *entire* team was frozen by a random status room... only for that to be the final room.  Beat Lucy on the first try; Seviper sucked and Shuckle literally couldn't touch Metagross, but Milotic took some good luck.  It somehow survived a *five* CM Dragon Claw from Latias, but opted for Ice Beam instead of Mirror Coat that turn, so I got the chance to finish it off.  It would've eaten Metagross and Swampert alive if it had the chance, too.

Battle Dome: I like the Dome; with all matches 2v2 and only 4 matches per round, it's much faster than all the other places save the Pike with obscenely good luck.  Got to Tucker on the first try and beat him handily; his Swampert used Counter against Latias for some inane reason, making it a free win.  Next came Charizard, who had a 0% chance of getting past Latias ever.  His other Pokemon was Salamence, so picking it instead wouldn't have helped either.

Battle Tower: Did this last, since it's pretty much identical to the DP version but slower to reach the leader and my Pokemon selection is worse.  Still, I needed a third symbol to get access to the betting man as I hadn't beaten Brandon yet.  Latias got haxed by Firepunch's 10% burn rate (later replays showed it would've barely survived otherwise, too ;_;) and fell to zam, but Metagross survived a hit and got in a OHKO, then Swampert went on to beat the next two Pokemon.  I'd call surviving a Snorlax Body Slam with 2 HP left good luck, but 'gross would've finished it off anyhow.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: June 07, 2008, 03:19:31 AM »
Yay for hinode in the Battle Frontier!  Frontier is pretty much the coolest thing in the last generation, hax notwithstanding.  Hopefully they have something similar in Platinum.

I too have had a Pokemans day!

Battle Revolution:  Beat all the colosseums.  No real challenge anyway, so I whipped out Kyogre and Deoxys to speed things up.  It looks like the hard fights come when you replay a colosseum several times.  Got my Surfing/Volt Tackling Pikachu.  Thinking I may make it a Raichu, since its nature is fixed at Hardy and I already have an outstanding Light Ball Pikachu.

Spent the rest of the day watering a Starf berry I got from a trade last week and the Enigma berry that came with Darkrai.  Stupid Enigma berry dries out too fast.  I hate ones that don't stay wet long enough for you to sleep through the night.  Ha ha!  Double entendre.

Also preparing to go Lucky Egg hunting, but I'm having trouble getting Chansey to show up in the Trophy Garden.

hinode

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: June 07, 2008, 05:35:54 AM »
Enigma Berry is a massive pain in the ass to grow for no good reason.  I only managed to get 2 of them from the same amount of watering that yields 5 for all the other pinch berries (well, not counting promo berries since I dunno about those yet).

Don't bother training the Surf Pikachu, since the Pika line gets Grass Knot nowadays and Raichu tends to want Nasty Plot.  You're much better off going for a good nature like Timid or Modest.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: June 07, 2008, 07:00:20 AM »
Yeah, I've already got a Modest Pika with 31 Sp. Attack, Sp. Defense, and Defense.  This guy's just for novelty value.

Brawl:  Got all the characters.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2160 on: June 07, 2008, 08:05:03 AM »
Finished Shadow Hearts. Second to last was kind of a joke, Forron fusion with Mind's Eye and Demon Earrings made the Metagod pretty manageable. I guess that those Abyss attacks that didn't seem to do anything useful besides mediocre damage would have inflicted status effects if I didn't have a Crucifix on all three party members? Used Alice and Halley as my extra party. Alice healed, of course. Halley... well, sometimes he smacked things with physicals. Sometimes he used Shock Max (not bad damage either). For the last two? Item boy. I might have used someone else, except that with all the time he's forced in the party he got too far ahead of everyone else in levels for me to care to catch anyone up.

Anyways, not a bad game by any means, just... not too good either. The battle system wasn't bad, solid turn-based with its mix of pros and cons, Judgment Ring was kinda gimmicky but not too bad. I liked items like the numbered Keys for bosses too. Fusions were cool and had a decent variety of uses, Forron, Czernobog, and Sandalphon were my three for the last dungeon. SP was annoying, but rarely came up except with SP lowering enemies.

Characters and story alternated between drawing utter apathy and a few good moments. Alice and Yuri were both good together, and character interactions had a few good moments. Margarete and Zhuzhen were particularly good, compared to Halley and Keith who just had too few scenes. Supporting characters were generally tolerable, and the villains... eh, mostly a bunch of psychopaths of various sorts, though the bigger ones were okay enough.

So uh... not sure between a 6 or 7 out of 10 right now. Tempted to give it 6 for the last dungeon being kind of annoying, but I'll think about it some more probably... if I don't get too distracted by Persona 3...
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

mia~

• miasmacloud
  • Denizen
  • bored rich kid wants to blow shit up
    • View Profile
    • http://srsfkn.biz
« Reply #2161 on: June 07, 2008, 02:29:24 PM »
So I played the Geass DS game for lulz. It's like SRW + pizza.

Also, I finally got off my lazy ass and played DDS2 (HAY LOOK SUPER YOU CAN HARASS ME TO VOTE ON HEAT AND ROLAND NOW). Jenna is a hot tranny.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: June 07, 2008, 05:38:14 PM »

So, like SRW normally. I still think SRW won't suffer at all when Code Trainwreck makes it into the series. It's like two spiralling trainwrecks gleefully heading towards each other~.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: June 07, 2008, 06:07:08 PM »
KoL:  So today you randomly get bottles of alcohol that are nothing but badass.  And I happened to get a good deal of them.  Hooray.

On the flip side, since we all did I don't really need my cocktailcrafting items for the day--they're all coconuts anyway, and those are vaguely useless to moxie classes.  Anybody want one in exchange for... something?  They're still good for the other two stat classes, since mysticality classes could always use more HP and muscle classes are obvious.  My character's name is Makkotah, by the way.

Anyway, level 9 quests are cool.  Having to waste 15 adventures on vacations to progress was kinda lame, but insult beer pong, untinkering an Abridged dictionary into a Bridge and a dictionary, then fighting l337 sp33k tards made up for it.  I haven't played through much of the leaflet quest, though that looks pretty awesome.  Mostly because it doesn't require any turns, though nostalgia for MU*s also helps it out.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: June 07, 2008, 06:10:24 PM »

Also, I finally got off my lazy ass and played DDS2 (HAY LOOK SUPER YOU CAN HARASS ME TO VOTE ON HEAT AND ROLAND NOW). Jenna is a hot tranny.

*Cracks whip* Now you can play Brig like a good minion after that.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: June 07, 2008, 10:53:55 PM »

You have under estimated the terror. It is worse of a fan fiction than all SRW combined.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: June 07, 2008, 11:36:48 PM »

You have under estimated the terror. It is worse of a fan fiction than all SRW combined.

So, it's Endless Frontier!?!?

hinode

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: June 08, 2008, 01:31:58 AM »
From what I remember, the Geass DS game is mostly about all the possible bad ends.  For instance:

Nunally: So who's this CC person, Lulu?
*player selections option: "She's our new mother"
Nunally jumps out the window!  Game over!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: June 08, 2008, 01:35:38 AM »

I need to FAQ that game.

EDIT: Also, how the hell does the cripplelolibitch jump out a window. The game is clearly very faithful to Taniguchi's mindset.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 01:52:09 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

mia~

• miasmacloud
  • Denizen
  • bored rich kid wants to blow shit up
    • View Profile
    • http://srsfkn.biz
« Reply #2169 on: June 08, 2008, 05:16:51 AM »
From what I remember, the Geass DS game is mostly about all the possible bad ends.  For instance:

Nunally: So who's this CC person, Lulu?
*player selections option: "She's our new mother"
Nunally jumps out the window!  Game over!
And after Nunnally wheels her wheelchair out of the window, Lelouch picks up a gun and blows his brains out. \o/

You can also Geass Shirley to "forget everything" causing her to forget what it means to be alive!

I'm making an faq for it atm because one of my staff is playing it and he's like, "halp i don't know moon runes D:"

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: June 08, 2008, 07:17:14 AM »

Worse than that, and you already see the reason why.

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: June 08, 2008, 07:19:49 AM »

I actually haven't tried that game.

I wonder if I should play it as well. Alongside Endless Frontier.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: June 08, 2008, 07:20:16 AM »

Worse than that, and you already see the reason why.

I guess. You can't accuse the game of being unfaithful to its source material, though!

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: June 08, 2008, 04:22:15 PM »
Legend 2: Finished Tokiama Vaults. Currently stalled in Guidato Vaults Floor 1, with a key I haven't found the door to and a puzzle that I don't have a clue at how it is supposed to be done. It's possible that part of the puzzle needs to be triggered elsewhere and I have flagrantly missed the door that matches this key in my laxity, but this game doesn't seem a big fan of puzzles in multiple rooms (granted neither was the original Legend, but I'm pretty sure it had SOME, whereas the closest this's gotten is a rotating room puzzle in Tokiama).

Tokiama was pretty fun, it had a rotating room section as I just said which are always nice. That's roughly all I can think to say about it though >_> After Tokiama I went about slapping about the Iyoto people until they got taken over by Imperia and Tokiama, then I found that Guidato had also been taken over by Tokiama who consequently went on to take over Imperia as well. At least this isn't a gameover in this game like the corresponding situation is supposedly in Legend 1, although to be fair there are a lot less enemy armies in Legend 1. Also you can 'revive' Imperia by going into the capital, but considering this only gives them two-odd armies and Tokiama controls every other city/castle on the map that's not much help.

In any case, got the Submission Sword for the Troubadour from Tokiama's lost key and got the Strike Staff for the Runemaster from Guidato's lost key (which was effectively right inside the entrance). As per the Occam's Razor, the Submission Sword randomly casts magic on hitting an enemy, except instead of Forward/Surround/Surround Missile Paralyze it's F/S/SM Thrall, which is arguably superior as it doesn't affect your own characters and causes the enemies to attack each other, but they do pretty lousy damage to each other anyway. The Strike Staff is the same except it casts F/S/SM DAMAGE, which is not fun to be hitting your own characters with >_> The Runemaster somewhat fails at actually hitting enemies anyway. I find myself wondering what sort of weapon the Berserker is going to get and what spell it'll use (Disrupt? That would be insane laughter worthy). I have a suspicion that there might be a key inside Iyoto that I didn't find considering I've gotten one from each of the other three enemy vaults now, so I should go back there and look at some point.

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: June 08, 2008, 04:43:43 PM »
Grim Fandango: just got Salvador his eggs, but I can't leave the hideout without the game crashing.  There's been periodic crashing up to this point anyway, but frequent saving sort of got me around it -- right now it looks like I'm stuck.  This is unfortunate because the game is awesome.  Hopefully, if I see Shale, I can bug him into telling me how to run the thing on XP (I've already read and implemented the technique for disabling hyperthreading, which was apparently one of the big issues).