Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 473261 times)

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #2200 on: June 10, 2008, 04:59:13 PM »
That video won't load for me. I suppose I should count that as a blessing.

Dragon Quest VIII - Tried the final boss with my piddly levels of 36/37/37/38. Managed to get past the first part but used up all my full multi target healing in the process. Managed to get quite far into the second part on my second attempt until the boss started pulling multi target 200+ attacks out of his ass
*shakes fist* Now I'm making a new axe for Yangus and going to look for material for healing items I guess.
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: June 10, 2008, 05:04:56 PM »
I'm so starting Chaos Wars now. Rob, I highly recommend you try it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAtC1SzWSXg

The translation job really shines here, since they couldn't be bothered to look up the officially translated names for any of these characters from the games that people had already played with them in it.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: June 10, 2008, 05:27:01 PM »
;____; MC is the last person here I haven't Brawled here (besides OK BUT OK DOESN'T COUNT BECAUSE HE'S TOO BUSY BEING AN EVIL DOCTOR or something).  Let me know if you ever get it working.
Oh, I added some RPGDL people's FCs, but last I checked none of them had added my FC, so I haven't actually checked that route.  Mostly I've tried and failed to do anonymous games (I can only seem to host, and anyone who joins me leaves before the match starts).

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: June 10, 2008, 05:37:16 PM »
To be fair, they actually translated Hiro's name correctly instead of using NISA's oddly incorrect Hillo. I guess thats one point for them! One billion against though.

GameFAQs had a funny quote on this that, with Fnorder's link, actually seems correct!

tacticalcraptic Posted 6/10/2008 9:56:05 AM
I'm sure they at least paid them. The CEOs from O~3 Probably just went up to his nephews, nieces and neighbor kids and said "How would you guys like to make $20 bucks this weekend without mowing the lawn" then when the rest of the family family heard about it they wanted to get in on it too and it turned into a family activity. Everyone was there, Child molesting uncle Vince (Yuri) and they even let aunt Barbara out of rehab for the occasion (Karen)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: June 10, 2008, 05:51:07 PM »
Holy shit that was worse than SO2 VA.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2205 on: June 10, 2008, 06:13:11 PM »
;____; MC is the last person here I haven't Brawled here (besides OK BUT OK DOESN'T COUNT BECAUSE HE'S TOO BUSY BEING AN EVIL DOCTOR or something).  Let me know if you ever get it working.
Oh, I added some RPGDL people's FCs, but last I checked none of them had added my FC, so I haven't actually checked that route.  Mostly I've tried and failed to do anonymous games (I can only seem to host, and anyone who joins me leaves before the match starts).

Have you even posted it?

EDIT: Rephrase.  Post your fucking Brawl FC.  I've been wanting a rematch since last summer, lag or not.  Or at least to play against you long enough to get your patterns down so I can win eventually.

EDIT 2:  Well, might as well make a real post, too.

Mother 3 - I'm playing through this and trying to translate it without a translation FAQ.  It's amazing how much of it I don't need to translate, and then simultaneously how much I do--I'm only in the first hour or so and I've easily dumped four hours into it, going back and forth between my dictionary and the game.  In any case, the language isn't that much of a barrier, and I'll get through it eventually--maybe before summer ends, but probably not.  Fortunately, the game's humor isn't always lost on me, though I'm interested to replay it in English once the fan translation (maybe official translation?  Roy in SSBM did (in part) spark the release of FE games stateside, so maybe Lucas will do the same, but that's pretty hopeless optimism there).

Oh, I almost forgot.  Thank god that this game is almost entirely in kana.  I'm not sure I could get through it if Kanji were used in more instances than the in-between chapter sections.  Because I am lazy.

Gameplay is EB with better menus, haven't gotten far enough to see what's different.  Just put out the fire in Tashimairi Village.  Wish I could go through it faster, but other games distract me. 

Speaking of which,

TF2:  I've basically started playing on only a handful of servers.  Usually I'll play against people who are good at the game (MC's group of clans), get fed up after 15-25 minutes, then go play against retards and 12 year olds on a Mario Kart server as an ego boost.  I also have started to play a lot more Mach 4 on some 24/7 Mach 4 server, since I usually don't get creamed as easily as I do on the Control Point servers. 

SSBB:  I've started to play against people other than the people I've been playing against for the last few years in a vain attempt to get better at the game.  My main problem is that I'm good once I pick up on people's patterns, but it takes several hours of playing to pick up on those patterns.  If I could get over that, I could do much better at the tournaments held around here, which equals more of a chance to win money.  Money in gift card form, but money nonetheless. 

The problem I face is that nobody I know around here outside of my roommates is that good, so using them to start learning patterns is an exercise in futility.  The obvious solution to that is to play online since most people I've played from the DL (both at DLC2 and online) are pretty good, but the lag is so bad that serious online play is impossible.  I guess I could try to cut out the middle man and meet up with the people who actually go to the tournaments and just play against them enough to pick up their patterns, but most of them are insufferable Japanophiles who need a hot dicking or a spike shoved through their eye or both.  And I just don't care enough to put up with that.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 07:06:59 PM by Zenthor »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: June 10, 2008, 06:15:55 PM »

The translation job really shines here, since they couldn't be bothered to look up the officially translated names for any of these characters from the games that people had already played with them in it.

Dear god I haven't listened to VA work this epic since I got a taste of ShF3 VA. Everybody is either narcoleptic, bored out of his/her ass or just stoned.

EDIT: AND THEY TURNED YURI INTO SCHTOLTHEIM REINBACH III WHAT THE HELL.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 06:23:59 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2207 on: June 10, 2008, 08:04:23 PM »
Is that video a youtube joke? It's not -really- an official VA job, is it? Some fans got together and made up a joke recording or something...

That's... ridiculously bad voice acting.

Chaos Wars anti-hype is go.

-Djinn

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: June 10, 2008, 10:24:42 PM »
Well, to be fair, the script itself is pretty awful.  They didn't have a lot to work with.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: June 10, 2008, 11:15:53 PM »

.......... I'm stunned. Really.

"I don't really want your twisted love. I really don't."

Bwahahahaha.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2210 on: June 10, 2008, 11:19:35 PM »
I wish more companies would go for Over The Top Bad acting. Like that one clip of the XS3 trailer that had Mexican Allen in it.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: June 10, 2008, 11:37:58 PM »
That's part of that ol' IF charm, apparently.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: June 11, 2008, 05:06:22 AM »
TWEWY: Hit A rank in ESPer points. Not going to go for star rank any time soon as I said. Also finished mastering pins! Ramble mode on.

This saddens me terribly that you guys just realize this now. the Japanese player got a hold of this by the end of the first week after the game comes out. Also, a pin needs not to be matered to evolve, you just need to give it the required number of PP for the evolution threshold.

Oh, and glory to the netherworld minions. Soppy, the netherworld fad really needs to get going.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: June 11, 2008, 06:15:13 AM »
With only Hiro and Meu in the game, I hesitate to call Chaos Wars a Netherworld game. If people suddenly start playing Generation of Chaos (A MUCH BETTER GAME IN ALL RESPECTS ::Kicks Super:: ) then I'd be up for it.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: June 11, 2008, 06:43:42 AM »
Meu and Hiro?
Did you just selectively ignored Orochimaru, Walice, Donaty, and other characters on the list?

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: June 11, 2008, 06:56:32 AM »
Forgot about Orochimaru, and don't know the other ones.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: June 11, 2008, 03:50:32 PM »
Wario Master of Disguise: Why must the damned dolphin be so freakishly difficult ;_; I swear it must've taken me over three quarters an hour to beat it. Does not help that it's a tiny bit lax about how you can hurt the final form so I was going about it the wrong way for the vast majority of the time after getting a point of damage in in a way you're not supposed to. In any case: Up to the mission that comes after that and I haven't started it yet.

If the treasure descriptions didn't exist, there wouldn't be much of a reason to play this game frankly. Somewhat fortunately they do, depending on how you look at things.

TWEWY: Hit A rank in ESPer points. Not going to go for star rank any time soon as I said. Also finished mastering pins! Ramble mode on.

This saddens me terribly that you guys just realize this now. the Japanese player got a hold of this by the end of the first week after the game comes out. Also, a pin needs not to be matered to evolve, you just need to give it the required number of PP for the evolution threshold.

I can only assume you're referring to my rambling and not to my ire at esper points. It's not exactly a case of realising it 'now', I was operating under that assumption the majority of the time I was getting pins; while I was playing through the game itself I didn't care whether pins evolved or not so I didn't give it much thought aside from what people had been saying.

Second part there would explain why a handful of pins evolved before maxing out on PP. It's arguable whether that's a good thing or not; less effort needed to evolve a pin versus being unable to evolve it if you feed it too much battle PP before mingle/shutdown PP. In any case there's barely any that don't need maximum level so it's somewhat academic...

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: June 12, 2008, 04:34:31 AM »
No More Heroes: Picked up again, decided to fight the final and Frue Final again on Bitter. Final went down in about four tries. I forgot about Frue Final's absurd durability, and eventually just got tired/bored.

BvS: After fighting a giant Clock Tower:  "You analyzed Soul Reaper Style: Imperishable Night!"

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: June 12, 2008, 07:39:08 AM »
DS Summon Night 1: Picked it up again. Gazelle is now my official MVP next to Edos >_>;; That new shiny throwing dart is kick-ass. I think Gazelle does more damage than Edos? Or just about the same. Thing is, he used to be crap, but now he's strong as hell. I mean. Yeah. I decided to take on a sidequest which hopefully I can gain Swan, the first archer ever. >_>;;
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: June 12, 2008, 09:57:04 AM »
Wait, Trance, you actually put up with that?

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2220 on: June 12, 2008, 10:53:03 AM »
Dragon Quest VIII- Final boss defeated. Final levels Guv L38/Angelo L38/Yangus L37/Jessica L36. I'm quite chuffed I managed to beat him w/o having to get Omniheal for Guv or anything like that. The winning battle my monster teams managed to take off around 1700~ total for starters. Also something really weird happened when Archedemon used Insulate. Apparently it worked not just on the active monster team but on the other monster team and the characters as well o_o Is that normal? It helped the characters take less damage from the boss when they came back on the field anyway. After the monster teams I had Yangus raise tension, Jess buff w/th Accelerate and Oomph, Angelo raise tension for improved healing and Guv use highly strung cheese. Angelo's enhanced healing kept the party fighting fight in between rounds and then when I was ready I managed to get off a maxxed tension Helm Splitter from Guv and a 50 tension Falcon Slash from Guv (equipped with the uber miracle sword) Aware of the final's disruptive energy I forgot about trying to get high tension for a while and let off 20 tensioned Helm Splitters and Falcon Slashes.  Later I felt it was safe to start building up Yangus for a 50 tension Helm Splitter and made sure to have Jess cast Oomph on him. As I was doing that Angelo died but Yangus survived until his turn and used what was to be the finishing blow that ended the battle.

Created clear data and after wandering around for a while I found the Dragovian Path. That's what I'm working on now. I also made a liquid metal sword.

I'm quite happy with the collection of shinies I'm managing to build up now (Uber miracle sword, King axe, Liquid metal sword, Saint's Armour (the HP restoring effect has helped Angelo a lot), Saintess Shield) and now I've completed the story line I can go totally wild and tweak and twink to my heart's content. Thinking of maybe doing a Fisticuffs run sometime too hmm.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 03:22:10 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: June 12, 2008, 06:41:08 PM »
Decided to teach my mom how to play Final Fantasy X. She's just about to actually pick up her characters and start the story. Seems to think it's an interesting game.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2222 on: June 12, 2008, 08:03:56 PM »
FE10- Beaten.  Reminds me of Fire Emblem trying to emulate Suikoden, turned out alright.  Didn't really have the character work to pull it off, but the core plot gets the job done.  Enjoyable at any rate.  8/10 probably.  Not much to add otherwise, game's pretty hacked over as these things go.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: June 12, 2008, 10:40:56 PM »
Decided to teach my mom how to play Final Fantasy X. She's just about to actually pick up her characters and start the story. Seems to think it's an interesting game.

Heh. Good luck with that, VSM. My parents always treated videogames about as charitably as Abe Simpson would ("Now what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me.")

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: June 12, 2008, 11:46:12 PM »

Heh. Good luck with that, VSM. My parents always treated videogames about as charitably as Abe Simpson would ("Now what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me.")

I've made her sit through Suikoden 3 and 5. I'm just trying to expand to something with a less obvious battle system. She'd have liked earlier games, but strat or action games don't appeal, and the ATB system just annoyed her to death.

Sooo....... Turn-based games that aren't strategy/tactics. FFX fits.