Register

Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 464213 times)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #2400 on: July 03, 2008, 03:57:10 PM »
I don't recall exactly what my level was there, but 29 definitely sounds overlevelled. I was 30 for Mother, and there's Boomy 1 and Alhazad 1's areas between them at the very least, as well as Photosphere itself. May even be forgetting one dungeon there. And I ended up at around the stat topic's level ultimately.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: July 03, 2008, 04:41:26 PM »
 Ogre battle: This is the alleged damage formula:

Tentative plan: STR-(Friend α) - (STR/2- (Enemy α)) - Enemy resistance% = height of the sun damage (10 noon to midnight 0) - ALI/10 = α (absolute value)%

..Yeah. I need Twilkitri and Niu for this one. I really hope this site's wrong or it's going to be a cast iron bitch to redo that game's stat topic.

http://www.carbuncle.jp/og5/5_map.html *Saving link*
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: July 03, 2008, 09:43:56 PM »
That's only an assumption.
They haven't exactly figure it all out.

Taishyr

« Reply #2403 on: July 03, 2008, 10:53:10 PM »
Zenthor: It's possible, but I kinda FAQ'd the entire game and got confused all of once. So uh. Apparently I possess the magical ability to be five levels or so higher than everyone else when playing these sorts of games? >_>

(Alternately, since it should be asked, though it... shouldn't make much of a difference for the battle in question: Lucky Cards?)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: July 03, 2008, 11:07:53 PM »
That's only an assumption.
They haven't exactly figure it all out.

Fucking figures. Gourry said it didn't match his own notes, and... auuuuugh. Back to the drawing board.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: July 04, 2008, 03:32:59 AM »
Zenthor: It's possible, but I kinda FAQ'd the entire game and got confused all of once. So uh. Apparently I possess the magical ability to be five levels or so higher than everyone else when playing these sorts of games? >_>

(Alternately, since it should be asked, though it... shouldn't make much of a difference for the battle in question: Lucky Cards?)

It's possible that I didn't Lucky Card that runthrough but highly unlikely since I developed a habit of Mystic->Lucky Carding every boss fight I can in WA games.

I'll just chalk this one up on you being crazy.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: July 04, 2008, 04:25:32 AM »
I thought in WA1, Lucky Cards were innately MT? Ditto WA2 for that matter?

Doesn't matter a whole lot, since I know what you're getting at, just felt like nitpicking!
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: July 04, 2008, 08:01:27 AM »
Been playing a bunch of random games recently. Got a Wii a while back, saw a bunch of stuff on it, mostly just been unlocking stuff in Brawl at a leisurely pace.

As for the DS, uh, mostly just MM Star Force 2. Just beat Yeti Blizzard and am sidequest haggling for HP memories and stuff. Decent game so far, better than SF1.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: July 04, 2008, 09:57:44 PM »
Finished Arcanum yesterday, with my badass Dwarven technologist specializing in Gun Smithy and Electrics. Extremely fun game, but by the end the story had sort of petered out and lost its interest for me. It actually gave me a real hankering for some Torment, which I might just replay.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2409 on: July 04, 2008, 10:02:12 PM »
I actually have that problem more towards the middle, from the Dark Elf village to about where you find Nasrudin. After that, the Vendrigoth Wastes are one of my favorite parts of the game. Finding Nasrudin is cool, too, cause he's such a fuck.

Bardiche

« Reply #2410 on: July 04, 2008, 10:32:38 PM »
Guardian Crusade~ Guardian Crusade~! Knight is so awesome. *SWOON*

Seriously, I think he was one of the first videogame characters I thought was COOL PLUSPLUS. Ah, toys~

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: July 04, 2008, 10:33:59 PM »
Yeah, I guess my feelings were similar to yours, Rob, except I also found the final area pretty disappointing. The Vendigroth Wastes are pretty cool. Mostly the ruins, though; I didn't dig Tulla that much.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: July 04, 2008, 11:32:26 PM »
The plot is better when you can sit back and examine it and actually take in stuff.  It is such an awesome massive subversion of the generic fantasy plot, the fact that this slips under the radar could either be taken as good or bad, the pacing of the plot for it could be a whole lot better.  Alternately it is it starts off that way as a hook to catch you and then by the end they have managed to completely phase it out of the equation and brought the story into its own territory.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: July 05, 2008, 12:10:36 AM »
Oh, I'd say I appreciated parts of it rather a lot. I'd be interested to talk more with you about it, since while I'd definitely say it puts an interesting spin on many fantasy tropes I don't think I'd call it massively subversive. The final encounter, in particular, felt disappointingly like the same old kind of thing I'm used to in RPGs. But yeah, as you say, I may need a bit more distance. Feel free to post more about it, Gref, I enjoy hearing your thoughts on this sort of thing.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: July 05, 2008, 01:05:15 AM »
Well look at it this way, this is stuff you already know of course.

There is a big bad, there is a Jesus figure.  You are not the reincarnation of the Jesus figure, the Jesus figure never even freaking died.  The big bad you are lead to believe it is, is in fact not that one.  The guy you are lead to believe it is isn't even that bad and to be honest the reaction to Arronax' actions was just a little over the top and his situation is caused by the Elven Council being stupid (which Nasrudin admits quite plainly).

Then once all that is revealed to you, you go and face Khergan who ultimately is quite happy to sit back and discuss his massively cycnical brand of Nihilism with you until he convinces you, you convince him otherwise or it just results in violence.  At which point you hook him up to a machine that essentially drains his life force to the point where his immortal soul can no longer exist.

That isn't the standard way to take out a big world destroying bad guy.  Oh and this is neglecting to mention that you can gather up all of the OTHER worst beings in existence to back you up.

You are not the chosen one, you are not even that special.  There is bigger badder nastier things that you can twist to your ultimate desire should you so choose.  Your ultimate effect on the world should you not end up wiping it out is essentially nothing other than its continued existence.  The most world changing thing in the world has already taken place 50 years ago or so with Gilbert Bates.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2415 on: July 05, 2008, 02:42:33 AM »
There is a big bad, there is a Jesus figure.  You are not the reincarnation of the Jesus figure, the Jesus figure never even freaking died.

The fact that this is considered a twist, of all things, is a commentary on the storytelling of (particularly Japanese) RPGs. Morrowind was okay about it, I guess, because in Oblivion nobody's quite sure if you were Nerevar or not. But yeah.

But personally... I've always cared for setting and characters over plot arc. Arcanum has lots of those that I really dig, even if some of them come up late (Arronax and Nasrudin). Could have done with a little more party interaction, but I think that about almost everything. Me, Magnus and Virgil were homies 4 life, you know.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: July 05, 2008, 02:55:40 AM »
Eh, it is called a Jesus figure for a reason.  Or Messianic figure if you want like accurate terms.  It is an old staple of storytelling.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: July 05, 2008, 03:52:28 AM »
You don't have to use the mechanic literally. It can be applied to anyone with a pre-ordained role of import that acts as a hero.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: July 05, 2008, 04:02:29 AM »
MMXCM: Beaten again!

Game was a lot more fun on the replay.  Knowing how things work, actually trying some optional things, what have you generally made the game better.  And I already had a decent enough opinion on it!

X is absolutely nuts in game.  If you can get him a set up that has 100 WE turn 1 (at least, it requires a Generator and 3 WE+10s), he's gunning out high MT damage turn 1, enough that unless the enemy resists Shot, they're either dead or in Final Strike.  If they aren't...well, a follow up Axl attack will do the job.
This is compounded by the Turbo Buster.  That 100k price seems like a turn off...but its worth it.  With it, X outspeeds most randoms, AND its a nice strong weapon (only Limit Buster MKII and X Buster MKIII are stronger, IIRC, and both are gotten in the final dungeon only I believe)...to say nothing of its little "Gains more damage as WE goes up."  This aspect is in fact significant as X went from doing like 2000~ damage at 70 WE to just below 3k at 100.  Unsure if it works in Hyper Modes though.

Other things in X's favor?  4 Force Metal Slots, and unlike Axl, has good Immunity.  Only Massimo and Cinnamon beat him, and due to Force MEtals that lower contamination, he's effectively higher than Massimo...and still has a whole extra slot.  So yeah, lots of customizability on his end.

Good Hyper modes.  Both of them half all damage, and MMXCM bosses are not slouches on offense (while not being damage gods either; also, you have some limited healing, so reducing damage helps there.)  X-Fire is servicable for just dishing out damage every few turns with Charge Collider, though, forcing X to Melee does kind of suck (mainly for Mach Jentra.)  However, the flipside?  Ultimate Armor is absolutely nuts.  It can destroy random encounters at 70 WE like nothing else, and due to how Hyper Modes work, can be done indefinitely so long as X never gets a second turn in Ultimate Armor.  Bosses, it dishes out even better damage.
To top that all off, X also has naturally *6* turns in Hyper Mode, and then X-Heart is a nice back up Force Metal in battles (due to me having 2 Generators, I could drop one of my WE+10's and keep it on.  Seemed to work pretty well.)

Other characters?
Massimo isn't as bad as some people like to hype.  I remember him having a good Hyper Mode, and being good at tanking when Elemental damage wasn't factored in, especially since he has a high counter rate.  My memory serves me correctly.  He's even better once you fully upgrade Berserk Charge, which is not far in power from X and Zero's HATs, and easier to pull off than the latter, while its full potential can be accessed earlier than the former's (He only needs about 70 WE to get full damage.)

Zero still felt a bit too boss oriented.  He was good for butchering specific randoms I guess, but generally, X + Axl = Dead randoms in most scenarios.  Learning Zero Dragon Slash actually hits Flying units well did make him better though!

Marino...is Marino.  We know how she works; Mirage Dive is awesome but I suck at getting it ;_;

Cinnamon...uh, yeah, her worth is entirely reliant on Kitty Gloves.  Without it, she's useless.  Low damage, low HP, fairly useless AT (Its crappy healing unless she has high WE, but her starting WE is low), boring Hyper Mode, etc.
Kitty Gloves though completely kill the offensive problems.  This is further complimented by when she goes Hyper Mode, she can dish out some big damage for bosses.  She goes from nigh worthless to actually competent with that weapon alone.  Funny that <_<

Axl...frankly, his Species weapons feel worthless.  75% Crit Rate on a one hit high power weapon? No thanks.  Better to stick to his 2 Hit Guns which tend to do more on average anyway.  Rafflessia was a disappointing AT; just 2000 damage to all enemies? Meh.
However, he was still awesome, even with X getting a lot better.  Only other form of consistent MT damage, Hyper Mode + Bait combo is absolutely ruthless (completely owns so many enemies its not even funny.  Yes, Bait actually works well.)  His ST damage could be better, but having an invincible PC who can actually take advantage of it was such a nice thing to have.  Giving him all your Build Hypers feels especially "Duh" as such.

Anyway, on this replay, I must say, X = MVP.  If treated properly, he has...well, everything.  I know you're thinking "You could twink out other characters!" but...well, actually, you can't. Observe!

Zero and Cinnamon have a complete lack of Multi Target damage.  Cinnamon gets another shot in that she can't do crap against fliers (Zero...has his AT for Zero Dragon Slash at least.)
Massimo has only 2 Force Metal Slots.  I think he gets an MT weapon (if actual passable power) at some point, but its late, so he's ST as well.
Marino's damage is never on par with X's...barring Mirage Dive...which is late.  Her AT is less useful against bosses too (UNLIMITED TURNS!!! ...then she runs out of Hyper Mode turns.  Meanwhile, X can do a similar level of damage in one HAT, and lasts for 6 turns total anyway, while being a complete tank.)
Axl's ST damage is nowhere near X's for bosses.  The MT damage is worse compared to twinked Charge Shot, let alone Nova Strike.

So yeah, overall, I think X actually is the best character in the normal game.  Requires knowing how to use the game, and Ultimate Armor is absolutely nuts for both randoms and bosses alike.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: July 05, 2008, 05:28:04 AM »
Brawl:  Beat Boss Battles with all characters.

BvS:  Got 200 style points in 1 day by urinating on everyone.  Grinding for Apples and Emo CDs currently.

EO2:  Had a nice map of floor 12 going on, then I hit some kind of limit on map markings.  Lame.  Accidentally got into a fight with a Helldra, and couldn't escape due to positioning.  Managed to terrify him and wear him down, then used a Nectar to revive my Dark Hunter and Climax'd him.  Booya.  Now on floor 13.

P3FuukaEatsShitanddies version:  Started The Answer.  Beat the first boss by spamming Maragis from Hua Po and having everyone else on Knock Down.

Taishyr

« Reply #2420 on: July 05, 2008, 05:45:04 AM »
DW7: Replaying it. At Verdham, dealing with Rainmaker. I think I need to level Gabo, I'm having far more problems than I did last time I played with bosses.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: July 05, 2008, 05:54:49 AM »
P3 speedrun: Also known as OHGODHATBOTNEEDSTODIEINEEDRAZORS

Anyways, after around 15 additional resets on top of the original 10, I FINALLY managed to get a Rash guard with Resist Elec (low). Yayness. In addition, I started Chariot. The next few weeks in game will be spent levelling that up and working on Magician so Surt can get set in as well. That's the good news

Bad news! Rampage Drive, guardian of Floor 14, blocks every single source of damage I have. I am not shitting you. My Yukari and Junpei are both level 4 and thus have not learnt their elemental attacks. The only person who can do any offensive actions is Minato. And the catch? To even DO damage, I have to use Orpheus' AGI who is ALSO Lightning weak. Can we say splat?

Yeah, this relevation has made me want to headdesk myself into oblivion. I have no clue how to get past this roadblock except for: Level Yukari and Junpei to level 5, try again.

Argh levelling ._.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: July 05, 2008, 07:11:45 AM »
WAXF beaten a couple days ago--yeah, VP killing the final boss worked wonders (And bypassed one of the reinforcement triggers even -_-).  That said, seems Exhaustion Strike Girl is the only special character who DOES have an elemental weakness (and I think she had the lowest HP, and lowest speed in the party).  Fail.

On the whole, the class system was brilliant.  The level design often killed a lot of the enjoyment, particularly in its repetition (no, I don't want yet another battle against the Zortoa Kinship, thanks).  Plot was meh.  Music was meh.

FFTRemake: re-translations of plot scenes are neat.  The slowdown though... X_X.  Seriously, I didn't get a good appreciation of this from the Youtube videos I've watched.  It's very painful, and I'm probably going to avoid any move that triggers slowdown if I can.  The lack of auto-targetting, inability to take back movement, and the lack of a visual FFX-style CT list are also very noticeable given that I was just playing WAXF.  I'm also really not looking forward to the increased JP costs of class unlocks.  On the whole, I'm starting a game of FFT, and not actually expecting to enjoy the gameplay, which is rather weird.

Starcraft: been playing this with my TF2 friends.  I'm relatively strong just because I can macro.

TF2: On a second "team" now, which exists mostly to have lots and lots of scrims with tournament teams (I've been in 8 matches in 4 days or some such).  Highly enjoyable, and a lot more intense than the matches I'm used to (both public and team matches).
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 07:16:21 AM by metroid composite »

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: July 05, 2008, 04:12:03 PM »
TF2:  It dawned on me that this is the only game I ever play anymore.  And I suck at it.  So it's time to start playing something else.

Xenogears:  Sooo... yeah.  I remembered the Aveh arc being pretty cool.  I figured I'd play through that and then stop when I got bored (re: probably the sewers).  Then I got to the forest and got to a ten minute cutscene I have seen at least 5 times and decided against playing any further.  RPG intros are usually pretty dull but fucking el 10 minutes straight of poorly written intrologue and Fei whining "THEM THEM THEM!!!11" stopped this venture back into RPGs.

DQ8:  I read Excal's posts and remembered that I actually liked this game, so I started up a replay.  I got up to the first dungeon but have not yet fought the boss.  I'll probably not pick it up again, because though I could do it without grinding for equipment, I don't think my OCD will let me fight the boss without getting the first Boomerang.  That is sad.

Though, I stopped playing that time mostly because my roommate wasn't playing TF2 anymore so it was free.  God damn that game is cyber crack.

Edit: Oh, yeah.

Hey, anybody who's playing Kingdom of Loathing:  My roommates and I are trying to get Hobolopolis.  If you're not already part of a clan and such, you should join Dahmer4Prez and help out.   If you are already part of a Clan, I hate you and you smell.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 04:29:21 PM by Zenthor »

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: July 06, 2008, 02:25:16 PM »
LaL - Went and collected the missing people and rebeat the game. To be honest it was not worth it. Also played redid the chapter as Oersted which definitely was worth it despite how short it was, although I wish you got to see short scenes of the aftermath of the battles or something along those lines.

SSBB - Came out here recently and my brother got it so I've played a reasonable amount. Fun enough, but not exactly mindblowing.

The final in Emissary gave us no end of trouble and we were on easy which does not bode well in the slightest for harder difficulties, but on the other hand we're not big on playing other difficulties without a good reason in the first place.

Nice to see you can still game the combo system in training mode and get around having to deal with the stupid concept of combos in the first place.

I think the only thing we haven't done that isn't collect/play X things/matches/hours or a harder difficulty of something we've already done is 15 minute melee which is one of the most boring/annoying things ever. Not really looking forward to that, especially if memory from melee is serving correctly and the whole thing basically relies on you being lucky enough to get a fan/screw attack...

FE6 - Started a replay of this. Currently up to chapter 11 (Bartre route).

Klein decided to be the most toolish I've ever seen in the last chapter and flagrantly stayed out of Clarine's range until I'd killed one of his men, to the extent that he moves slightly forward into the middle of nowhere as opposed to attacking my bait units and all his men run past and block off the passageway, so I leave my people where they are and he doesn't move at all, then I move them back two to give him room to get in and he moves forward two, and so on. Highly annoying. Of course during all this Tito's squad shows up but by then I don't really care anymore and just massacre all the generics, despite that something like a naked Roy would have tied them up assuming he managed to not get himself killed off. I had nowhere near this trouble on the other route -_-