Register

Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 464857 times)

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #250 on: January 09, 2008, 08:23:28 PM »
Star Ocean 2: Finished the Expel part and got a seynard. I also have my whole party now.

Opera has a ridiculous attack speed. Against airborne enemies she also shoots just as fast. Other than that, she has a not so discrete scream when she gets hurt.

I haven't tested out Earnest and probably won't ever test him out that much, but I sure got his battle suits. Couldn't the game at least have waited until I was in Nede and got the seynard before giving me them? In any case, the battle suits made the game less fun, so I unequiped them.

Bowman works well as long as he has MP, but less so once they run out. Not that it's hard to replenish them. In any case, he very recently got the benchwarmer position to make room for Chisato, but will be back in if she doesn't turn out to be any good.

Dias also needs his MP and that's pretty much it.

Anyway, the Claude, Ashton, Celine and Rena party I used the last playtrough was definitely not the strongest team I could have assembled. Not that I really tried assembling the strongest team.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #251 on: January 09, 2008, 09:34:45 PM »
Actually, Claude, Ashton, Rena and anybody is pretty close to the best team you can put together post-game, but that's more an issue of gear scaling, where Claude, Ashton and Dias greatly outstrip everyone else.

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 09, 2008, 10:52:01 PM »
That may be true, but I did not play any post game at all the other playtrough. I do however intend to do so this time. This time I also don't have Ashton, but I highly doubt that I actually need him.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 09, 2008, 11:20:06 PM »
the SO2 postgame is short and fun.  definitely worth doing.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 10, 2008, 12:54:56 AM »
Best team for the Cave of Trials? Claude, Dias, Opera, Precis. Pick three of the four, and add Rena. Opera can lock down every boss on Earth mode and Barrier spam is nearly as good. Between the two Indalecio should die horribly.

Ashton I'd pass on. Yes he gets the super swords, but he lacks the really effective KMs you need for the superbosses in that mode. Opera can literally lock any fight down on Earth, Precis can do nearly the same as shown above and she gets the Algol/Weird Slayer.  Claude and Dias are stronger than Ashton in both equips and KMs, and Bowman gets a huge boost from the obnoxious ubercheese that is Bloody Armor+Weird Slayer. He's never bad though. Solid, usable, and... just not as good as the options.
Ernest/the rest of the mages are trash personified, as is Opera on universe. Chisato's worse than Ashton but can at least Algol superbosses. Eh.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: January 10, 2008, 02:22:20 AM »
Tried Brig... couldn't stand it.  Maybe I just wasn't in the mood or something, but the story looked like it was going to be generic and dull, the battle system was too old newish, and it just didn't look pretty.

Gonna try... not sure now.  Probably a Grandia, PS, or Legend of ______ game.

Suggestions?

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 10, 2008, 02:26:07 AM »
You're complaining about dated combat systems, then bringing up PS series for a possible next game? <_<

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 10, 2008, 02:30:01 AM »
Hey, PS4 isn't quite THAT dated!

...granted, the other 3...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 10, 2008, 02:31:57 AM »
You're complaining about dated combat systems, then bringing up PS series for a possible next game? <_<

Well, seeing as how I've never played any of them I wouldn't know... hence asking for advice!  Apparently PS1-3 are out though.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 10, 2008, 02:32:40 AM »
Even PS4 is still turn-based with a ton of randomness to the speed.  The battle system is dated.  The game is still good.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 10, 2008, 02:42:52 AM »
Well, from that point of view, yeah, you got a point.  Though (and you did kind of say this anyway), the game is still leagues ahead of the previous 3 <_<

CompmanJX3

• Holiday Prinny
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 10, 2008, 03:01:08 AM »
Don't listen to them.  PS4 is extremely dated.  Cumbersome menus, horrible item management, randomness in battles, and the type of story you can expect from that era (re: not much substance).  Play a Grandia.

As for myself, I just started Lunar 1.  Good stuff.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 10, 2008, 03:03:28 AM »
Because a Grandia is so much better on plot.  Really, I'd say PS4 has at least as good a plot as any of the Grandia games.  (Characters, on the other hand...)

The other points are at least somewhat valid, though. <_<

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 10, 2008, 03:05:07 AM »
PS4 has better characters, plot, and gameplay than Grandia 1. Also better graphics.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 10, 2008, 03:12:16 AM »
Man, Compman. You're saying PS4 has cumbersome menus and hyping -Grandia-? Menus were one of Grandia's issues. And G1 story is -offensively- bad. At least, PS4 had vaguely likable, if shallow characters and a story that didn't outright stated that getting a shiny sword makes everything better and makes everybody like you. G1 plot and characters are the kind of stuff that offends five-year-olds.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 10, 2008, 03:30:03 AM »
Nonsense! You need to be at least like 8 years old to understand the game!

...yeah, doesn't really change your argument much >.>

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #266 on: January 10, 2008, 03:40:11 AM »
I dunno, Justin's probably really relatable to the average 5 year old.  They want adventure and don't know why girl's are soft and get whacked with cookie sheets too.  Granted, the 5 year old  can snicker at his immaturity.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 10, 2008, 04:00:09 AM »
Tried Brig... couldn't stand it.  Maybe I just wasn't in the mood or something, but the story looked like it was going to be generic and dull, the battle system was too old newish, and it just didn't look pretty.

Gonna try... not sure now.  Probably a Grandia, PS, or Legend of ______ game.

Suggestions?

Brig's rather like OB in terms of classes and all that jazz. Y ou liked OB, so give Brig a spin later- it's a short game and very replayable. As for the next game? Grandia's the best game on that list- I'll have to second Compman and suggest Grandia 1/2.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 10, 2008, 04:06:09 AM »
And I'll join the general crowd that says to stay away from Grandia 1. Pretty much fails at everything besides having a battle system that shows potential. If you want to see that potential fail less, play Grandia 2/3.

PS4's solid. Speed's not especially random, and macros alleviate what problems there are (if indeed they are problems, I'd argue a bit of randomness in turn-based isn't). Very polished gameplay for the time. Characters seem like something Mep would like, too. Join the Rune hype.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 10, 2008, 04:45:06 AM »
P3:  WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!

Harvey Birdman:  Seems rather simple so far.  Guess it's like Phoenix Wright, except I've never played a PW game.  Nice for a Birdfan like myself, but no Stephen Colbert makes me sad.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: January 10, 2008, 04:55:53 AM »
PS4 suuuuuuucks. I don't even know what this conversation is about.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 10, 2008, 05:51:51 AM »
MMX3: Trying to get the Z Saber! Vile is gone and such, so is Crush Crawfish, Tunnel Rhino and Neon Tiger.  Oh, also fought Bit, but lacked his weakness weapon, so he merely ran away *shakes fist*

FE9: Oh, right forgot about this too!  Replaying it, just beat Chap 7, that chapter took far more many resets than is forgivable!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 07:38:11 AM by Meeplelard »

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 10, 2008, 08:17:11 PM »
HL2:  So, I updated my graphics card drivers and got through the point that kept crashing. Nova Prospekt was... probably my least favorite part of the game.  Sneaking in was awesome, but that was part of Sandtraps.  The only reason Prospekt gets my vote for least favorite thus far is that it embodies my only qualm with the game: how overly linear it is.  Fight some combine, walk a while, fight some combine, walk a while, get a new Antlion, walk some more, figure out how to open the door, continue walking...  Yeah.  Kinda getting repetitive.  Still the best single player shooter I've ever played, which... doesn't say all that much.  It's competition consists of Marathon, Doom, and Heretic.  Yeah.

Anyway, up to Anticitizen One and it keeps crashing so I've given up in frustration... again.  I don't even know what the problem is this time since it doesn't even give me an error message.

TF2:  My roommate and I have been playing this... a lot.  He's getting really good again, since he played a ton of TFC.  I, on the other hand, still suck, but I don't die instantly anymore.  I've been mainly playing Demoman and Soldier, occasionally switching to Medic or Heavy.  I play around with the other classes but that usually just ends in me dying immediately.  Demoman is fun, especially on Territory control maps. 

Oh, on that note, fuck you Monkey.  Just... fuck you. 

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 10, 2008, 09:32:59 PM »
Star Ocean 2: Finished the four fields of nonsense and feed Marsilio the Algol Shield. Since I don't have Precis, Chisato had to do the deed. Good for her, since otherwise I didn't find her very useful.

Originally, my plan was to hold of creating the strongest customizeable weapons until later. However, while the random encounters proved to be a decent fight, the guardian in field of strength had a ridiculous high defense. I changed my plans and went rampant with customize. On that note though, isn't Crimson Diablos supposed to double strength? If it does, it isn't visible on the status screen.

Anyway, enemies dies very fast now. Just crushing them turned out to be fun as well. As a bonus, the guardians never managed to initiate their annoying second phaze where they are rendered immobile, but pulverize everyting nearby.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 10, 2008, 09:37:43 PM »
Crimson Diablos doubles -damage-, not strength. Which is probably even better. =P
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....