imageRegister

Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 464898 times)

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #2525 on: July 13, 2008, 07:01:26 AM »
Hate all of you with P4.  Have a nice day.

Idun

« Reply #2526 on: July 13, 2008, 07:45:56 AM »
I beat Xenogears sometime around 12AM today. I died two times trying to kill Deus without killing the four orbs, because regardless of my lack of investment in Gear items, I just really wanted to finish the game. But I ended up going ahead and beating the four orbs, then I believe I killed Deus in 5 full turns or so for each character? Initially it was Citan, Fei, and Billy who destroyed the four orbs. Then I switched in Bart for Citan, and Emmy for Billy. I did have a ZCharger and I did have two Gear items from Johnny's Shop equipped on Fei though. He went into battle after fighting the four orbs without being swapped at about 20k HP? Emmy used no fuel of course, because I Power Magic'd her and EtherBooster'd her. Bart was just a replacement for Citan because Citan lacked any value after having around 1000 Fuel and 8000HP. But that group worked really well anyways, so I have no qualms with WildSmile not being important this battle (the value-booster for using Bart~). Beat him, logged into chat and exclaimed happiness, only for it to be swiftly stunted by another useless boss battle. But afterwards, I thought the ending was interesting. Something about Xenogears and no matter what people tell me - has my Xenofan mind running wild regarding Elly and Fei in the Zohar, because .. you know, Nephilim and Abel? I suppose I see what Talaysen's saying with Xenogears being like an alternate Xenosaga story, but I can't help but wonder.

Besides the majority of exhausting Gear battles, or boring foot battles with my lack of proper Deathblow skills (I suppose? I thought I had most of Citan's though), the game was good. I disliked the insta-drop of the demi-human storyline and there are some tiny nuances to the story that get me in the gut (Fei's Mom's Necklace, etc) but overall I think Xenogears deserves its hype in the line of story. I think the developers were relatively too ambitious with the involvement of pscyhology - the only reason I say this is because I believe that the game intentionally demands replay for clarification of what was thrown at you on Disc 2. Fei's arc was good. Emmy's arc was... okay; I don't think I got anything from Emmy besides good ETH DEF and ETH abuse and am still not a fan of her, so I don't see the hype or "masterful" background surrounding her; Bart and Siggy were entertaining; Chuchu - wat; Elly . . .  became a bit too . . . blah at the end (Blah being ranty-emotional-female); Citan - my favorite character in the game for reasons I cannot disclose without leaking out <333333s everywhere; Billy's arc was very well done though I felt like his character took a backseat as did all of the other characters when Fei and Elly had their revelations. . . If I'm forgetting other characters, it's because I never used them probably because they fell off the face of the earth. Rico? Yeah. Blah to that. Though his ani-version at the end of the game looked pretty hot.

My frustration level of the gameplay which hindered the storyline for me makes me give it a grade wide within the B-C area depending on how much I focus on my frustrations. I didn't pay much attention to Mitsuda's music until the end. . .  it was good. Definitely not my favorite works from him, but it was good.

Now I started Suikoden Tactics, and am sad that there is a lack of camera rotation and that I'm so used to Xenogears' commands that I'm confusing my analog buttons for wrong ones. I pan the battlefield too much - O =/= cancel! :(

Edit* OH. I FORGOT ELLY. SILLY ME. AERODS~ Nuff said.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 07:48:28 AM by Idunie »

Pyro

« Reply #2527 on: July 13, 2008, 08:16:23 AM »

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: July 13, 2008, 08:34:11 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy1Fvp8uUAo

I've started a Punch Only run on FFL2. Yeah.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: July 13, 2008, 10:26:29 AM »
I suppose I see what Talaysen's saying with Xenogears being like an alternate Xenosaga story, but I can't help but wonder.

Do stop wondering, I don't want to beat another xeno fans to death explaining how XS and XG can't be connected. I mean, for the starter, the time table simply don't match.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: July 13, 2008, 11:41:06 AM »

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: July 13, 2008, 01:24:14 PM »
Hello Kitty? I don't get it~

SO3 Gutsy Bunny solos

Albel -

Big Bad Dragon! - First form fun, mad Palm of Destruction combos take him out in no time. Second form stomp = major ouchies. Several resets. Also managed to screw up the first fights sometimes when mad PoD triggered enemy AAA and Albel ate it in the face. Eventually just went for an AAA stun the boss + hit and run strategy with Palm of Destruction for the second form.

Maria guest starred for the Vendeeni + Biwig fights.

Proclaimer - Hax. Air Slash is God. Isn't really enough words to describe how awesme Air Slash Albel is here.

Security Service (Arkives)

Wow Air Slash sure has range. Albel did take a couple of hits sometimes but thankfully he was able to eat the damage. Albel actually had a relatively easy time here. I'm surprised ;o

Guards + Azazer -

Divide + conquer. Separate the guards to put enough space between them and then bounce them around with a major Aura Wall. Takes two AWs each.

Azazer ... now Azazer is a pain in the ass ... Uncancelled AW does around 13~ MP damage per pop (26 hits) total. Cancelling it I can get it up to 30~ MP per pop but with less hits. The problem so far has been that I can only safety set up Aura Wall when Azazer does a minor and I've AAA stunned him, Due to the concentration needed because of the length of this fight so far I've messed up and accidentally ran into Azazer's major xD I try to sidestep but I keep forgetting to configure the sidestep settings to directional buttons only and then in the battle I'm like WTH why aren't you sidestepping Albel!? :(

Peppita -

Levelled her up on Enforcers to get her near to Albel's level. Had to fight an Enforcer with a L1 Peppita solo first so she could get Power Dance and Frozen Daggers >.> Took a while even with her counters hitting weakness w/th the Spike Shoes equipped due to the enemy's increased HP values from the Gutsy Bunny.

*Security Service (Arkives)

At first I ran around like a headless chicken trying to get in openings to attack and ending up getting Pep killed because I couldn't always see where the soldiers were running so sometimes I'd run right into them <.<

Anyway the winning fight was funny. Pep got shot and fell down. She was right up against a wall. I tapped O as she was getting up and she went into counter mode. As well as the soldier she was countering, the ice balls on her Spike Shoes triggered so she took out another two enemies, three in total. From there I had her start up a Frozen Daggers from as far away as possible whilst soldiers ran into it :) It didn't take long for the remaining three to go down.

Azazer (aka know your countering 1)

Power Dance > Frozen Daggers behind the desk for the soldiers though sometimes I'd get impatient and start up before the soldiers were near the next so Pep would run all the way up into the middle of the field =-( Azazer a couple of resets because I ran right past his major and try to do a short O instead of a counter <_< Again I could have sidestepped a second hit but I'd forgotten the sidestep configuration >_> I got bored, went away and auto levelled Instanto Blast to L4 (in preparation for the Chimera Hawks later) then discovered PD > IB took out the soldiers quicker than PD > FD. IB was also better cancel fodder for setting up Power Dance for Azazer with a PD > IB. Then apparently I remembered how to counter properly cause the rest of the battle was a breeze. AAA > Power Dance > IB. Counter major physical, Sniping if SR, counter Crystal Prison. Fixxed the sidestep configuration too so I was able to sidestep Sniping at range so it never caught me >_> Nice damage too - 500 x 4 with Power Dance + Increase MP damage with a full counter :)

Berial + Belzeber

(aka know your countering 2)

Actually I had this strategy down pat until I tried to PD > IB Berial when he was in Auto Aim stage and he became unstunned too soon so Pep ate Auto Aim in the face =-( Then I couldn't for the life of me get things working again no doubt due to be being impatient and tired ;p When I was refreshed I manage to take out Belzeber again, only used PD > IB to get Berial into Auto Aim stage, then just used a simple major IB on a stunned Berial and counters when he used Fire Dance (around 400 MP damage total unpowerdanced on a full counter but hey sometimes he uses it twice in a row! >_>)

Strategy -

Counter hax Belzeber to death -

* Don't intiate a counter until Berial is up in the air. Counter O's invincibility frame is enough to take Peppita through Berial's major rocket spam but only if he's jumped and is launching the missiles. So basically just wait a bit before countering Belzeber. Also safe to iniate a counter when Berial launches backward to use his minor.

* Don't* use Power Dance when Belzeber is still around unless he is stunned and Berial is *very* far away ;p

*Damage was 2000~ x 4 on a full counter unpowerdanced with Increase HP damage.

~Executioner set

Counter hax. Next

Lesser Eye -

Power Dance > KABOOM! Got petrified once I think ... tried to counter his a major but my button was stuck or something =-(

~ Dark armours

Counter hax. Next

~ Crystal Statue

Counter hax. Next <_<

Dark Eye

Same as Lesser Eye. Powerdanced Kaboom is haxxed ~ 9000+ @ 300% cancel per hit + lots of hits cause of Eye sizes =D Managed to avoid majors by countering/sidestepping mostly though didn't manage to evade one once. Peppy ate it but didn't get petrified :D

I forsee more counter hax in the future (of course Pep's counters don't really exist and I'm obviously deluded! >.<)

I'm wondering if I should try switching Albel to a more damaging combo for Azazer. Of course nothing's as safe as Aura Wall. Azazer's MP damage is a 2HKO for Albel (was the same for Peppita cause I forgot about Azazer and had been boosting their SP into HP and not MP >.>) Plus there's the guards to worry about before hand, they do a lot more damage than the Arkives one and w/o AW usually introduce Albel to the juggle city of pain. Just going to have to be patient w/th AW I guess.

At least post game with DsoF will be a blast =-)

Oohhh ST Idunie~ I liked that, feel free to chat to me about it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 01:26:10 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: July 13, 2008, 02:41:15 PM »
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

TranceHime

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: July 13, 2008, 02:45:49 PM »
FFL2 Punch Only playthrough - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GitukO2AUc

Cleared Ashura's base with relatively little trouble.

I'm tired and going to bed.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: July 13, 2008, 04:16:11 PM »
Pfft make love not hate ;p Nway I'll probably have to wait longer than any of you for P4. I also want P3- FES.

P3- I said I do this didn't I.

Spoilers for Ultradude I guess. Do not read.

Well I rate it quite highly. Currently one of my favourite games up their with S03. Not quite as good to me but definitely 8/10 at least.

All the things that I thought were going to be a problem (lack of control of anyone except the main character, nothing but climbing Tarturus) weren't. The A.I was very well done I found for the most part and storyline events outside Tarturus and Tarturus floor designs (well colouring) changing prevented things from becoming too repetitive. Combat I enjoyed knocking enemies down and abusing weaknesses to enable all out attacks, and I enjoyed seeing which each A.I was capable of. It was fun to watch enemy damage be reduced to piddly as Aegis spammed support skills or Koro evade haxing things =) Story was interesting enough to keep me going and I enjoyed watching the interaction between characters and character developement.

Idividual ratings -

Akihiho 9/10 - His awesmeness goes without saying. Not a full score because nobody's perfect but almost. I thought Aki was a bit less cold towards the others than Mitsuru earlier on too so he gets a better score. Plus he gets to participate in fun things like beach girl hunt and pool silliness whilst Mitsuru doesn't ;p

Mitsuru 8.5/10 - Stylish. Mature. Elegant. Swordswoman. Another of my favourites though really it's hard to really dislike anybody in this game. However I thought she was a bit too aloof at times and Yukari was right to slap some sense into her later on. Though it'd be unfair to say she was never fun, "executioning" the boys were amusing events.

Junpei 8/10 - His habit of being jealous of the main and emoing or getting mad about it could be really annoying but on the other hand it's hard to dislike someone who comes out with  the mad schemes like babe hunting or checking out the girls in the pool xD Plus his arc with Chidori was awesme.

Yukari 7.5/10 - Ok I started up really being annoyed by Yukari.  Her jealousy and distaste of Mitsuru got on my nerves but reflecting on it I understand how she feels now when thinking about Mitsuri's aloofness and plus it was her nitpicking about Mitsuru that lead to finding out some truths about the Kirijo company. Yukari was one of the characters that I felt grew quite a bit over the course of the game. Finding out about her dad and then of course finding out that was a lie by Shuji and then finding out the real truth. Learning how to accept her mother better too. In the end she was the one giving Mitsuru pep talks, which I thought was a rather nifty range shift of perspectives. Enjoyed how her friendship with Mitsuru developed too despite the lesbian fanservice innuedo >.>

Koromaru 5/10 - Awesme dog! Unfortunately there's only so far "awesme dog" can take you when giving points =( Needed more scenes, like a persona evolving scene =-(

Ken 6/10 - Meh ... I'm not too keen on Ken! Mainly any respect I did have for him took a nose dive after what happened to awesme axeman =(  Suppose I should at least give him a point more than the dog since he *does* get a persona evolving scene >.>

Let's see what else ... I enjoy the fact that there is tons to do. On my replay I'll be concentrating on maxxing out all Social links and really getting into the meat of Persona twinking for the main and equipment twinking. I only got one Heart item on my first play ;o Me wants more~

Final boss fight was actually moderately challenging since I didn't have any uber personas and apparently my levels were a bit lower than the average excepted end levels. I lost a few times due to my healers getting nuked and Minato being on low HP. The first time I did manage to get well into the final stage of the fight things went pear shaped when the boss started spamming Night Queen. I changed my strategy around a bit, making an Atropos with Mediarama and Mind Charge and a Succubus with the highest level fire spell and changed Aegis from trying to do things with Orgia mode during the final stage to focusing on pure support. First time I tried it I lost due to being low on HP and Atropos getting spammed by lighting based spells. Second time I got it down pat. I underestimated the usefulness of Aegis keeping up support spells. Should have done it sooner.

Oh and I played easy mode due to never having played a Persona game before and wanting to see what it was like first =-) However I was out of Plume of Dusks by the final <.<
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 04:48:13 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2535 on: July 13, 2008, 06:29:45 PM »
FFL2 Punch Only playthrough - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GitukO2AUc

Cleared Ashura's base with relatively little trouble.

Dammit, quit making me want to play FFL2 again.  I have too many other games to play.

BvS:  Got Jonin rank.  Started the day with 590/190 stamina (21-day bonus, 200 sparring matches, topwebgames, etc.).  Then I ran B-rank missions with Annie/Timmy/Stalkergirl, all level 2.  560 of that stamina got me 352,000 ranking XP.  Then I did the Hairpin mission and refilled my stamina.  Got over 400,000, then burned a Silver Elixir for the last 100,000.

Good thing I saved some stamina, I didn't know you had to switch to Crazy Love Triangle team during the exam as well.  But I succeeded with the Power of Love!  Nin nin.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: July 13, 2008, 06:48:32 PM »
P3 - Yes Pyro. It goes w/o saying to say that Aegis turned out awesme and ended up as a favourite of mine. The ending was indeed good.

Will probably avatar Aegis whenever Rose finishes her run~

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2537 on: July 13, 2008, 10:08:11 PM »
So I plowed through Chris' chapters to get them over with, and then started on the other two. I forgot how unbelievably anticlimactic Hugo's Chapter 2 is.

Step one: Go to Duck Village to meet Lilly
Step two: Run through the Highway to get your ass beat in a story battle.
Step three: Go to Great Hollow and run around a while until the chapter ends.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: July 14, 2008, 12:47:32 AM »
DMC4: Beat Nero's portion. His fundamentals are consistently fun, but the lack of weapon variety - he's got his sword, the Right Hand Of Doom God Hand Devil Bringer, a nigh-useless revolver and that's it - started to grate after a while. Plus the boss fights came down to weakening them or buying time until they staggered, then using the grab button for God Of War-style massive-damage cinematic attacks. Only without the God Of War button-press challenges, so you just sit there and watch Nero beat the crap out of them. Still fun, just...a decent bit of wasted potential. Ah well, now I've got Dante, and the on-the-fly style switching is very awesome.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Pyro

« Reply #2539 on: July 14, 2008, 12:13:30 PM »
Games I won't be playing? 360 stuff, because my 360 died on me (again). The first time this happened was when I bought one and it died within an hour of firing it up. I won't be getting another, ToV be damned.

FE7: Generic plot is generic. Generic characters are generic. Whatever, we don't play FE7 for plot or characters. Lyn is awesome, Rebecca is smiting stuff for me, Erk is a BADASS for me too (do enemies honestly get to the point where Def/Res are equal?). Hector and Eliwood... really kinda suck. Hector has defense, sure, but Eliwood doesn't even have that, neither doubles, and the lack of doubles make the damage worse than it should be. I'd kill for Ike here as a Lord. I could ditch Hector, but I won't. I WOULD ditch Eliwood if I could, though <_<

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2540 on: July 14, 2008, 12:23:06 PM »
90% of the time, Hector is my Spartan, so I find your statement odd.

Anyway... S3. I don't have to deal with Chris anymore fuck yes. Despite the crapality that was Hugo 2, I do really enjoy the third, as well as the sequence of battles in chapter 4 that ends with you getting an army together. Which is awesome.

Geddoe's new name is Dolemite, by the way. AND FUCKING UP MOTHERFUCKERS IS HIS GAME.

TranceHime

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: July 14, 2008, 12:52:35 PM »
Hector really kinda suck.

I cannot comprehend the meaning behind this statement.

Maybe the RNG just hates you.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: July 14, 2008, 02:15:49 PM »

Maybe the RNG just hates you.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: July 14, 2008, 03:51:50 PM »

Maybe the RNG just hates you and everything you have ever stood for. It also probably hates your curtains.
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: July 14, 2008, 05:59:18 PM »
Hector and Eliwood... really kinda suck.

You got pretty seriously RNG-screwed for Hector, it seems. Doesn't he have at least Str past Def? That should be enough to make him more than usable (although Hector is overrated, don't get me wrong). For Eliwood, nobody said he's an impressive Lord. He's entirely to the mercy of the RNG gods.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: July 14, 2008, 10:24:21 PM »
OGs2 - Vaisaga get!

WHAT. THE. FUCKING. HELL.

Pyro

« Reply #2546 on: July 14, 2008, 10:51:20 PM »
I misspoke on Hector. He is pretty nice as a physical tank and his offense, while lower than I'd like due to speed concerns, is serviceable enough certainly. I don't see any reason to take him out of my party in the foreseeable future, as tanks are always a good thing to have around. I guess Eirika/Ephraim/Ike/Lyn kinda spoiled me on Lord expectations.

Eliwood just sucks, though.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: July 14, 2008, 11:27:56 PM »
Eirika/Ike/Eph/Lyn would, yes. Eliwood is definitely a disappointing Lord as well. Hector, himself... I found he gets less valuable as the game moves forward and begins rewarding dodge-tanking more than defense-tanking. And then, there's the usually slightly subpar speed.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: July 15, 2008, 12:29:02 AM »
Eirika, Ephraim and Lyn are better than Hector.

Ike...eh, not sure I agree.  It just sounds like the DL has a trend of getting strong Ike's...unless you're Elfboy.  Don't get me wrong, he's a far better than, say, Eliwood, but can't say I see him being better than Hector.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: July 15, 2008, 02:29:10 AM »
FFTA2: Got to the new continent in just enough time to explore and crush the locals in the auction. I now own the world. Bwa ha ha. Unlocked a bunch of weapons and finally got a Gria. And it's only got 4 jobs... boo. 102 missions clear.

Team Fortress 2: Beat my healing record for Medic: 2500+ healing in one life. Yay. I continue to suck, but slowly make my way to the 1000 kills achievement.

FTA - Another set of jobs done, stat topic will be updated tomorrow.