Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 465438 times)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #275 on: January 10, 2008, 09:42:12 PM »
It gives you the Berserk effect, which doubles all damage.

You twinking out accessories?
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 10, 2008, 10:00:22 PM »
Thanks!

As for accessories, I'll probably wait a bit before twinking them out. I'm already killing everything ridiculously fast.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 10, 2008, 10:12:02 PM »
Using Pallas Athenas+Odin Helm's for the boys? You can pile on the Atlas Rings for Claude and Dias with those equipped, as you still resist all elements. Mmm, abusing SO2.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 11, 2008, 06:42:01 AM »
RosenKreuzStilette (RKS): Finished.  Fun game, it's a total lift of MM2 but it's not like that's bad.  I had to poke Alex for the best order to take the stages in and other tips, but that's nothing new for -me- and with that caveat the game isn't really that punishing.  Easier than MM2 (and I asked people for help on stage order in MM2, too) by a lot, I'm inclined to say it's a fair whack easier than Megamari too.  You have to use your E tanks towards the end, but in the endgame E tanks are pretty ridiculously farmable so if you're not too particular about winning in a pretty way, you can get by just fine.  Really fun overall, all those Megaman fans around here should grab it.  (I SEE YOU THERE NEB AND CIATO)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 11, 2008, 06:56:44 AM »
FE9: Up to Chapter 10! Now I have to finally actually decide who to use and who not to use!  Probably ditching Rhys, at very least.

DMC3: Up to Mission 3.  Game's good so far, but takes more getting use to due to all the new perks, etc.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 11, 2008, 08:43:51 AM »
I thought Crimson Diablos just doubled damage, pretty sure it stacks with Berserk Ring, Super.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 11, 2008, 01:56:33 PM »
Metroid Prime III: Finished. So awesome. 19:21 playtime according to the score screen.

Only things I can think of to nitpick at that come to mind... Ending is stupidly vague (unless it's extended on harder difficulties), and I found all the items with barely any difficulty (to be fair, the observatory was essential for several of them). As per usual, the latter being a good or bad thing depends on your point of view anyway. NO ESCAPE SEQUENCE!? I don't care for them anyway >_> There were a couple mid-game anyway.

Didn't get every scan as I already knew I wouldn't, I guess that might have effected the ending as well. As well as elevator stuff I missed out on one Skytown storyline thing and one Pirate storyline thing, and presumably several enemies, but I didn't go over my enemy lists while I was in the final area so I'm not sure on that..

Hypermode was pretty neat, although once you'd built up enough energy tanks there was very little drawback to using it. Fighting Mogenar on the other hand before this was the case was god-painful. Not looking forward to him on harder difficulty levels (although, I found Thardus freakishly difficult on my first play of Prime I, and I believe I killed him in one attempt on my hard mode play of that, if memory serves correctly... and I never actually DIED against Mogenar like I did to Thardus...). Only got corruption-death once and that was because my brother turned it on while I was out of the room (he was 'trying to find out how to jump'. Because everyone knows the most intuitive way to jump is to HOLD DOWN one of the most out-of-the-way buttons).

As far as weapons are concerned... nice to see the semi-old stacking-weapons style back, for all they didn't stack anywhere near as nicely as Super/Zero Mission/etcs do (which reminds me: they need to make an awesome remake of Metroid 2 sometime. Then they can try to make a version of Super that doesn't fail at life). I hated Seeker Missiles in Prime 2 because they never ever hit what I wanted them to hit and that remained the case here. Tsk.

Ball upgrades were boringish as you'd expect. I swear, they need to have Metroid 2's version of Spider Ball in a 3D met sometime >_> Except with less spikes all over the walls >>_>>

While I remember it, what exactly is the deal with Fuel Gel? Why the heck does it instant-kill you after yay long in it regardless of what health you're on?

Final visor was boring -_- Then I discovered it had something I hadn't noticed! Then I discovered that said thing was only rarely ever extant. Still arguably better than the echo visor.

Grapple stuff was okay, although I rarely ever got the timing right. Once you'd gotten high enough upgrades, they needed to let you grapple every enemy instead of only the ones you could already grapple anyway

Ship stuff was awesome and they seriously need to have thought of it earlier -_- Although, the missiles were mildly worthless outside of their plot uses because you had to be outside, you had to remember they existed, and you had to hope that whatever you aimed at didn't move about. I didn't even KNOW you could use them on enemies for some time.
They should have just given you infinite of them, especially considering how high they set the chance of getting refills.

Ship Grapple was underused ;_;

Super Robot War Compact 2:3 Galactic Showdown: Started this.
So they scrub all your unit upgrades, but you keep all your items...? Hm. In any case, Ez-8 with 4 V-Up units attached in the first map smites everything! That was the plan anyway, as it turned out it never even got a shot off due to showing up late and lowish move >_>
Excellen's already gone off apparently so I'm stuck with lousy Kyosuke again. To be honest I haven't compared his stats with 2:1's Kyosuke so for all I know he might be less lame. Alteisen definitely still sucks, but maybe the Riese will be better whenever that shows up. In any case only played one episode so far because the rest of the time I've been playing Prime III.

I feel like replaying Prime I & II now.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 11, 2008, 04:27:21 PM »
I thought Crimson Diablos just doubled damage, pretty sure it stacks with Berserk Ring, Super.

Nein. It does not stack with the berserk ring.
-------------------

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 11, 2008, 07:21:26 PM »
Star Ocean 2: Beat the main game. This time everything including Indalecio died ridiculously fast.

I unlocked the secret files as well. The last two files are still being decoded and the what's-his-face NPC is taking his sweet time. Still, I got to see the first two files.

I already knew about the big spoiler of the secret files, but I did see some neat lil details. Apparently, the wise men that supposedly are the weakest of them are also the ones that were designed as combat units. It makes perfect sense considering the "everything as inefficient as possible" nedian philosophy. Say what you want about SO2, but at least it's consistent.

Anyway, time to backtrack and start sidequesting. Hopefully, the last of the secret files have been decoded at this point.

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 12, 2008, 03:14:35 AM »

RKS: Finished.  Again.  This time with the bonus alternate character (think along the lines of Zero from MMX4, except in MM2 and a lot harder than the main game; she takes double damage and she never gets any upgrades and she badly lacks range, BUT she has a dash, a walljump, and a sword of smiting).  Just like in MMX4, I found the second completion just as satisfying if not more, since the game plays noticeably differently between characters and so it doesn't feel like a simple repeat of what you just did already.

Boss rush at the end was extremely hard.  Let me detail that: I entered the boss rush with full health, four lives and nine energy tanks.  I scraped out a win against the final opponent in the string with no remaining lives, no energy tanks, and not enough health to survive another hit.  And I managed my resources -carefully- to stretch them out that far.

Game is highly recommended once again.  Not sure how many people around here want to subject themselves to the pain of Rider mode, but the main game is quite good, and there MUST be a market somewhere around here for a platformer where you do battle with cute little girls in UFOs.  (mc???)

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: January 12, 2008, 04:37:06 AM »
I would be in the market for such a game! Where does one find it?

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 12, 2008, 07:02:54 AM »
FE9: Beat Chap 10! Not much else to say.

MM8: Decided to arbitrarily start a new game of this! Why? Cause it was already in the machine from when my little sister requested if she could play MM2.

Anyway, beat the first group of Robot Masters and the subsequent fight.  Game's still fun, etc.  Bustering at least as much as all the Robot Masters.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #287 on: January 12, 2008, 07:15:57 AM »

Nein. It does not stack with the berserk ring.

Yep, both of them cause the invisible status effect Berserk. You can also induce it by having someone a character likes die in combat.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 12, 2008, 09:05:45 AM »
Otter is using default XP desktop theme?  Ick.  Fail.  Not only is Windows Classic easier on the eyes, it is less bubbly and takes up less space.  Fix it.

Yeah I know about Berserk status, thinking back I have had the conversation with Super before.

ToPr - I got up to Dhaos past castle only to have the game crash during a spell casting animation (not people stuck in a loop of charging it and not being able to use items).  Hadn't saved, had to redo Valhalla plains. Saved it this time before flying  Had the game do the same spells and items being unusable  on the boss of the sky part, that boss' fireball attack is pretty unreasonable when you can't cast spells or use items, Holy Symbol regen works alright, but get stuck up against Arche in one and instantly die.  So redo flying for the third time, spell lock up again, noticed it makes a really odd sound before it starts to happen (same sound the plant women thing made in the SNES version when draining your life).  Not sure was up.  I beat the boss with just physicals that time, turns out you can't actualyl get to the exp gained stuff if the bug happens anyway, so they are show stoppers when they happen.

Oh well, fourth or fifth time through the fields and flying was a charm.  Saved now.  Still not sure where the cause of the problem is.  It is kind of specific in location for it to be a problem with the image I thought, the translation patch is really solid work so I don't think it is that...  I will just have to keep playing and figure it out.  It isn't really that bad anyway, it isn't a consistent thing where you don't want enemies to ever cast spells or anything.

Game still rocks face hard though.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 12, 2008, 10:06:46 AM »
WakuWakuPuyoPuyo Dungeon- Found an old copy of this and the SS emulator still works alright. Lalalala. Now, only tofind a PS version that is not over priced.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 12, 2008, 11:29:02 AM »
.hack//GU 3- Sakaki fails big time, but at least he can put together a decent tournament. Zelkova remains OMG mystery!

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 12, 2008, 12:05:46 PM »
Cid: talk to me or Alex later about RKS!  Oh, and speaking of fighting little girls in UFOs.

Megamari: re-acquired (http://www.doujinstyle.com/doujinsoft/megamari.php for those like me who can't use torrents) and played, finally, to completion.

(Yeees, Grefter, it's still XP default.)

I had basically been put off from even trying to run the fortress before now, but after beating RKS, I felt like Megamari shouldn't pose a huge threat.  And it didn't, really; gameover in the fortress  (which, incidentally, has awesome design through pretty much all the stages, particularly the bosses) keeps you at whatever stage you got to, just minus any tanks you might have on you, and tanks are a luxury you don't really need.  It's the opposite of RKS, in that RKS kinda encourages tank farming while Megamari makes it impossible, but both systems prevent you from being under -too- much pressure about resources while in the fortress, which is always a load off my mind.  Boss rush felt insanely easy after Rider-mode RKS, but Rider-mode RKS had a ludicrously punishing boss rush so don't read too far into that.

Final boss was -really- awesome for numerous reasons.  What made it especially uncanny for me was that I figured out this perfect plan to take him down with a minimum of damage to myself next time around (the plan involved broomstick and comets! arguably, the best kind of plan!), and then went to throw my life away intentionally so I could follow through on it (I was already horribly injured and out of ammo with most things) -- and, with exactly one bar of health remaining, I wound up killing him by playing suicidally.  I didn't really realize what was happening until it was already over.  I credit the awesome of Scarlet Shoot damage.  The pre-final UFO, of course, got perfected by comet spam; my love for comets knows no bounds.

Megamari is as awesome as I remember it.  It's Megaman with Touhou characters!  What more do you want?  In fact, I'm kind of addicted to platformers just this second (in case you can't tell) and I might try some kind of Megamari challenge next, if I think of a fun one.  Who knows!

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 12, 2008, 02:56:34 PM »
Harvey Birdman:  beaten.  HA HA!  Waste of money.

P3:  January.  Two Tartarus bosses left.

Riviera:  Chapter 5.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 12, 2008, 06:45:42 PM »
FFT

I feel the need to record the epicness of these level 99 Squires I ran into in a random battle.

Roland
Brave 49, Faith 53
Slasher
Thief Hat
Black Costume
Elf Mantle

Basic Skill (doesn't know Accumulate)
Item (doesn't know Phoenix Down)
Counter Tackle
Defend
(no movement ability)

Scott
Brave 52, Faith 66
Flail (!!!!!! I mean it's one thing to use an Axe like the other two, but this guy is using a rando-weapon from Chapter 2)
Thief Hat
Black Costume
Dracula Mantle

Basic Skill (doesn't know Accumulate)
(no secondary)
Counter Tackle
Equip Change
Move+1

Hannibal
Brave 52 Faith 45
Slasher
Thief Hat
Black Costume
Magic Ring (!!!! Protects him from Silence and Berserk.  Think about that for a minute.)

Basic Skill (Doesn't know Accumulate; knows Throw Stone, and used it to deal a whole 9 damage.  He later used Dash on somebody--also for 9 damage)
(no secondary)
Counter Tackle
Gained JP Up (You'd think he'd have some abilities by now).
(no movement ability)

How these boys survived to be level 99, I'm not sure.  I can only assume that the Chocobos with them acted as body guards.  Needless to say the one crystal of theirs I picked up contained no abilities.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 07:02:20 PM by metroid composite »

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 12, 2008, 08:29:04 PM »
Megamari: I have no idea who anyone is or why I'm fighting them, but it is fun. Reimu and Reisen down so far.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 12, 2008, 10:01:24 PM »
FFT

I have an appology to make: I have overinflated the power level of Mimes in a previous post.  In my update last week, I commented on how I seemed to be getting the "+1 MA" bonus when a Mime mimed a Wizard staff, therefore dealing 4 extra damage each swing.  I went on believing this, and then at a certain point the Wizard Staff damage jumped from 32 to 40, and I stupidly thought to myself "wow, maybe the Mime MA growth is really starting to kick in--perhaps I shouldn't have insulted it so much".  How very wrong I was.  It wasn't until I pulled out a Mediator for a while to play around with the planned gun setup, that I realized, no, that extra damage isn't coming from the Wizard Staff.  It's coming from good compatibility.  I did some more testing, and it turns out that all the self-boosting weapons don't boost themselves when Mimed.  Thunder Rods don't give the Strengthen Lightning Effect.  Wizard Staves don't give the +4 damage effect.  Mimes, in fact, don't get the bonuses from these weapons, even when they're holding them in their hands and smashing someone over the head with them.  (Something I'm grateful for, mind you--the more Mimes suck at damage, the easier it is to level them up via hitting teammates).

Otherwise, nothing too eventful this time, although I did discover (or probably rediscovered actually) that Golem means that you can't wake people up with basic physicals--Golem still triggers when they're asleep (nifty) but it doesn't count as HP damage so they stay asleep (aargh).

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 12, 2008, 10:39:47 PM »
Otter is using default XP desktop theme?  Ick.  Fail.  Not only is Windows Classic easier on the eyes, it is less bubbly and takes up less space.  Fix it.

Yeah I know about Berserk status, thinking back I have had the conversation with Super before.

ToPr - I got up to Dhaos past castle only to have the game crash during a spell casting animation (not people stuck in a loop of charging it and not being able to use items).  Hadn't saved, had to redo Valhalla plains. Saved it this time before flying  Had the game do the same spells and items being unusable  on the boss of the sky part, that boss' fireball attack is pretty unreasonable when you can't cast spells or use items, Holy Symbol regen works alright, but get stuck up against Arche in one and instantly die.  So redo flying for the third time, spell lock up again, noticed it makes a really odd sound before it starts to happen (same sound the plant women thing made in the SNES version when draining your life).  Not sure was up.  I beat the boss with just physicals that time, turns out you can't actualyl get to the exp gained stuff if the bug happens anyway, so they are show stoppers when they happen.

Oh well, fourth or fifth time through the fields and flying was a charm.  Saved now.  Still not sure where the cause of the problem is.  It is kind of specific in location for it to be a problem with the image I thought, the translation patch is really solid work so I don't think it is that...  I will just have to keep playing and figure it out.  It isn't really that bad anyway, it isn't a consistent thing where you don't want enemies to ever cast spells or anything.

Game still rocks face hard though.

Maybe it's just the PSP emulation? I had no issues whatsoever with anything in the parts you described as troublesome.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 13, 2008, 12:09:08 AM »
Yeah it probably is that or the conversion process, this is why I wasn't to worried about it or pissed off about it.  Was just trying to point out the quality work on the patching team's behalf while mentioning that I had done the goddamned Valhalla plains to freaking many times now.

ToPr - Past Dhaos Castle, I forgot how irrititatinly branching this place gets after half way through.  Also they appear to have got rid of both the free Mystic Symbols...  the one at the dock near the starting town in the past is fair enough (the item is worth more cash than you get from fights in the first third of the game put together and they are GREAT items).  The one in Dhaos Castle appears to have been turned into a Fight Symbol or whichever one is boosted crit rate (at least it wasn't the 10% increase in attack power one like I thought it was when I got it since I have like 6 of those already...).  This makes me sad.  Dhaos Castle Past was a really good spot in the equipment progression to actually get one.  It is the time where you can just about afford to buy one if you have been saving up for it, it is a huge dungeon at a climax point in the plot.  The perfect place to throw you a great piece of equipment like that.  Oh well, I will double check some FAQs to make sure I checked the right place, but blah that makes me a little sad.

Oh also good to see they boosted the money given to you by the king for beating the boss on Valhalla Snow Fields, 10k Gold is what it used to be and the boss drops 11k (now at least).  Bumping it up to 50k is better, you still will probably have gained more than that from the enemies on the snow fields, but it isn't an insulting prize now.

Sam and Max Season 2 Episode 2 - Pretty good, not as good as Season 1 in it's prime or as episode 1 of this season, but Episode 1 gets lots of situational bonuses  being a christmas episode released around Christmas and just generally being funny about it.

The Longest Journey - Fuck yes.  Burns Flipper is great.  The VA in this whole game is quality and I got around to looking up who did some of the stuff, pretty much all no names.  All the main character's had like 5 things to their names.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 13, 2008, 01:33:29 AM »
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin: Finished unlocking Old Axe Armor.

Aria of Sorrow: I spent most of the past few days when not at work at my Mom's, and she has no internet access. So I put some emulated games on her computer, and played this through to completion. At 3X size. At full speed. <3

Psychonauts: Cleared actress lady's world. Now for Fred and that painter dude. Oh, and Agent Vodello's secret area is very disturbing.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 13, 2008, 04:36:45 AM »
Megamari: Beaten. Had more game overs than I care to admit, though. Anyway, fun little game. I presume Marisa and Alice get different weapons for beating each boss?