Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 472973 times)

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #2875 on: August 10, 2008, 08:14:32 AM »
Alter Code F: Beat up the Gate Generator and Forest Prison. Mariel caused me an actual game over due to her awesome stats and I can only presume that Zeik's WA1 form is competent, because uh that is so not Heavy. Gogo 4HKO damage? Also, the scene with Mother "eating" Zeik was obviously written and directed by Snow and Zenny.

(Actually, the whole arc was like that. Adding time travel to cheesy WA philosophical plot just makes it beyond comprehension.)

Fire Emblem 9: Up to C8. Having to recruit Ilyana made the mission slightly complicated and I took two resets to do it. Apparently Boyd rush is the best way to handle that overcomplicated left side. Modern FE is shiny and everything, and the addition of non-retarded supports and weapon forging (fear the pink Iron Sword called Tonfa~) actually make it seem like there's something to do. Also the VA is truly epic.

Character wise:

Ike: Solid lord, but nothing really special. Mine might be slightly HP screwed~
Titania: Obvious jeigan, but you need to tank a few corridors~
Boyd: SMASH. Kills knights and everything else, yay~
Oscar: Is he supposed to be awesome? Seems like every other cavalier ever. Tanky but that's about it~
Soren: Seems like a boring mage but with Adept~
Ilyana: Seems like a boring mage without Adept~
Rhys: He heals things and that's awesome~
Mia: Somehow I forgot she existed since C8 is a bad map for her. Vantage is cool but this seems like a bad game for Myrmidon-type people, so she probably needs BEXP or something~
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 04:41:38 PM by Nitori »
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: August 10, 2008, 02:44:48 PM »
Ike's known to really pick up whenever he promotes, since that's around when his growths start to really catch up. Oh, and also again when he gets Ragnell at the end of the game, broken sword is broken. Being earth affinity makes him good for supports too, since he gets a massive evasion boost.

Oscar is similar, except that he's never the best at killing things (Kieran's job). However, he's also earth affinity,  so gogo Ike support making the two of them totally untouchable. Keep up the Boyd usage too, he's pretty much also awesome at smashing things. Rhys can be subbed out for Mist if you don't mind catching her up from a low level, since the mobility is great once she promotes.

Mages in FE9 aren't really anything special anyways, just pick whoever you like and stick with 'em.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: August 10, 2008, 03:08:05 PM »
I think everyone's pretty much agreed that Zeik needs a downgrade, Nitori.

---

MK: Fin~ Did the last event of chapter ten through the end pretty much in one sitting yesterday. Chapter ten boss was a lot of fun. Music really amped up the atmosphere there; I kept a separate save so I could do it again (note for stat topic: check what Gravity Burst does next time). Aside from that individual, though, the endgame got mauled very badly. The game as a whole was a cakewalk, but full Grow Book = ye gods, man. At least the final kind of had a gimmick (healing is outlawed!) and durability. After a certain point in the game, it became way too easy to stunlock enemies into oblivion. But hey, it's Gust. Combat's still a lot of fun regardless.

Snow pretty much nailed it, I think: MK's fluff, but it's conscious of this fact and excels at it. Pretty much everything about it is a couple levels above previous Gust efforts. It's a lot of fun and would make a great rank if it had the player base. On that note, my copy is definitely available to be loaned out to ensure that this happens. So if you want to play it (and you should), give me a holler.

Mm, character ramblings? I don't really have time to hit the whole cast right now; will do so when I get home this evening. They have a lot of writeup potential and generally make for fun duellers, though, so again with the ranking hype (game needs to show up in NR soon, at least). Pamela for Heavy champ, though, and Spoilers is an easy Godlike.

As for the ending? I got Muppy's. >.> This was not intentional. I was under the impression that each character had five character quests and that you could only pick one of them for the final event. So I meant to get everyone done up through event #4 and then keep a save there...except, it turns out that Muppy's fourth character quest was his last event. Oops. Well, I've got a save at the end of chapter ten if I want to run through the endgame again and see someone else's ending. Muppy's post-credits sequence was beyond awkward. (Muppy himself was generally cool apart from that, however. This is probably the only time I've ever liked the mascot character, due in no small part to the fact that the mascot is actually an evil alien bent on world domination and only keeping up the cute act as a pretense).

Also, for Tallychu: Muccho must be in the stat-topic! NOW.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 03:13:37 PM by El Cideon »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: August 10, 2008, 05:26:16 PM »
Oscar is similar, except that he's never the best at killing things (Kieran's job)

Uh, no, Kieran and Oscar are pretty much identical for stats across the board.  there are some slight differences but nothing major.  And Axes are only +1 Might to Lances, so the damage difference is hardly significant.

They're both awesome PCs, but saying Kieran's job is to kill things while Oscar's is not is just silly.  Oscar is basically Kieran with a superior affinity and supports in the grand scheme of things.

Only reason Kieran should be better at killing things (baring maybe supports, I'll have to see what affinity he is) is cause the RNG was nicer to him.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: August 10, 2008, 05:35:34 PM »
As for the ending? I got Muppy's. >.> This was not intentional. I was under the impression that each character had five character quests and that you could only pick one of them for the final event. So I meant to get everyone done up through event #4 and then keep a save there...except, it turns out that Muppy's fourth character quest was his last event. Oops. Well, I've got a save at the end of chapter ten if I want to run through the endgame again and see someone else's ending. Muppy's post-credits sequence was beyond awkward. (Muppy himself was generally cool apart from that, however. This is probably the only time I've ever liked the mascot character, due in no small part to the fact that the mascot is actually an evil alien bent on world domination and only keeping up the cute act as a pretense).

Yeah, Muppy's the only one that has only four.  Not sure why, exactly.  And if you want to see the other endings, just youtube them.  Easier.

Also, for Tallychu: Muccho must be in the stat-topic! NOW .

Hey, there's nothing stopping you from getting the notes!  (Also I got boss Anna what more do you want from me ;_; )

---

Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure LLNA - Did I mention I finished this?  Well, I did.  And I have to say that I successfully made Rhapsody difficult.  In the end, I had to use puppets of a slightly higher than lowest-levelled, but whatever.  It was impossible otherwise and it's not like I could still abuse levelling only three good puppets at that time.

Final notes: Rhapsody statuses are awesome.  Sleep never wears off unless hit by a basic physical and POIZN is 25% cHP at the beginning of every turn and also never wears off (owns immobile bosses so badly).  Sadly, a lot of the mechanics rely solely on level difference, like physical accuracy/evasion and status accuracy/resistance.  Luckily magic hits no defensive stat and that's basically the key.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2880 on: August 10, 2008, 10:19:43 PM »
NxC - So, KOS-MOS got Boost. I'm at stage 25 now. I think Monolith wasn't thinking at all when designed her. What the flying fuck, Zeal clone on a character with game-best damage+full MP regen if she attacks an enemy.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: August 11, 2008, 05:15:45 PM »
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: August 11, 2008, 07:17:51 PM »
*Gnaws on Laggy.* Whore.

NxC - The more I think about this game, the more I think it's fundamentally broken beyond all reason. The system is way too flexible and gives you absolute control over the battle flow to a point nothing can ever overwhelm you. However, do I -care-?

Not really. *CRUSH.*

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: August 11, 2008, 08:24:18 PM »
Kieran does have slightly better power than Oscar (higher Str by a point or two, axes, Marcia support). Kieran of course also has better offence than everyone except perhaps Boyd and Jill (and probably even them due to speed) and maybe Wrath-Nephenee so yeah whatever. Oscar's offence is certainly above average and he's extremely durable and mobile, which is why I'd consider him the best combat PC in the game. His offence isn't incredible early but it's still better than everyone else then except Titania and maybe Boyd if the RNG likes his speed.

Mounted units are hax in general, they basically all rule to varying degrees.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: August 11, 2008, 08:31:20 PM »
what about MAKALOV Elfboy hur hur hur?

Playing La Mulana these days. Will save comments until I'm done.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: August 11, 2008, 10:08:54 PM »
Quote from: 'Laggy'
Vanquished creatures
a little dog ... a kitten ... a monkey

Genocided or extinct species:
... jellyfish ...

Nethack rules.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: August 12, 2008, 01:47:18 AM »
what about MAKALOV Elfboy hur hur hur?

Playing La Mulana these days. Will save comments until I'm done.

Makalov is better than Mia/Zihark in almost every way yet almost nobody uses him because he is ugly, a dumbass, and people have a bias towards using different classes so the #1 swordmaster looks more appealing than the #6 paladin. <_<

Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: August 12, 2008, 01:51:09 AM »
Hey, being an ugly dumbass is a good enough excuse to use pretty Swormaster girls over a paladin if the Swordmaster girl is good enough!

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: August 12, 2008, 01:57:08 AM »
Hey, being an ugly dumbass is a good enough excuse to use pretty Swormaster girls over a paladin if the Swordmaster girl is good enough!

Damn right.

Also, I think Mia turned out better than Makalov for me anyways.  Zihark, uh, yeah... definitely could see Makalov > Zihark.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: August 12, 2008, 02:09:16 AM »
RNG disclaimer applies as always, but Makalov crushes both on power and concrete durability, gets enough speed to double anything pretty quickly (yay Knight Ward for 80% speed growth), and obviously horse + second weapon >>> a 15% crit rate even before factoring in that the first weapon is the crap that is the FE9 sword. Mia has Vantage over him, and Zihark gets pretty badass evade if for some reason you use Muarim, but other than that it's a pretty clear win.

Yet I've used Mia twice, Zihark once, and Makalov not at all on my two normal playthroughs, so yeah, I'm as much a victim of this as anyone. <_<

Maybe.

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: August 12, 2008, 02:31:16 AM »
That Knight ward shit is a retarded obscure quirk that most people will either not learn of, or just forget about 5 seconds after learning it (like me). Without that, Malakov probably doesn't compare so favorably.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: August 12, 2008, 03:00:37 AM »
50% speed growth's not bad either. He'll be doubling everything post promotion. Now yes, you can now argue that Zihark/Mia are better before promotion, but I can't imagine the gap is very wide, at best it becomes offence (speed) vs. defence and mobility.

Maybe.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: August 12, 2008, 04:30:35 AM »
FFX: Started.

Yuna.  Talks.  So.  Slow.
Played some water polo, only to find out that Tidus is all talk and can't play worth shit.
Yuna.  Talks.  So.  Slow.
Tidus laughing.
Played some more water polo - tied a game and won a game.

BvS:  About halfway through Monochrome.

City of Heroes:  My Mastermind is level 16.  Bank jobs are fun.  Unless you get put in jail.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: August 12, 2008, 05:50:39 AM »
Disgaea 2: middle of Chap 12.  Game is more or less the same its been!

Final battle of Chap 11 was...well..>_>
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: August 12, 2008, 09:12:50 AM »
NxC - This just in: Mike Haggar FAILS at taking hits. Jesus Christ, I know that the Genpei Toumaden head has awesome offense, but getting nearly OHKOed by an attack type you resist -under defend- even with the HP? Arthur doesn't even have any sort of resistance to the attack type and he was getting 3HKOed. ._.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2895 on: August 12, 2008, 09:20:08 AM »
NWN2 - I started up a Warlock.  Got through the prologue and went fuck it and loaded back up my Fighter/Weaponmaster that was pretty far into the game.  It is getting better, but I want to get to MotB sooner since it is apparently sensational while the OC is eh better than NWN1 OC, but it still isn't great.  It kind of has parallels between BG2 and IWD.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2896 on: August 12, 2008, 09:54:21 AM »
NxC - This just in: Mike Haggar FAILS at taking hits. Jesus Christ, I know that the Genpei Toumaden head has awesome offense, but getting nearly OHKOed by an attack type you resist -under defend- even with the HP? Arthur doesn't even have any sort of resistance to the attack type and he was getting 3HKOed. ._.

Whatever cocksucker codemonkey decided that should be in their game needs to be introduced to some Haggar-style pain.

Anyway: Soul Calibur 4. I played it online. To be honest the people are usually pretty fun, and sporting. Ran across my first spammer kid today. Played the Apprentice, and the only thing he knew how to do was vertical uppercut thingy you out of the ring. I wouldn't fall for that except that sometimes it lags and you don't guard or GI it in time.

I stepped to the side and let David Bowie kick his ass straight in.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: August 12, 2008, 01:31:33 PM »
Couldn't sleep, so pulled out some Mountain of Faith, Marissa C, Easy because it's 5am.

After an initial couple of deaths on Stage 1-2 (My brain was wondering why the fuck I was playing Touhou at 5 AM) I proceeded to beat the rest of the game without dying.  Well...good to know my past easy run on this game wasn't a fluke.  Easiest Easy in the whole damn series, possibly

Marissa C has sort of the same trick as the Sakuya (sp?) and her vampire lord in Imperishable Night with locking familiars.  It's shorter range, which I can deal with....and it also takes like a full second to unfreeze and move, which drives me crazy.

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: August 12, 2008, 01:52:40 PM »
MarisaC is like awesmoely fun to use...

And... Really, MoF Easy is... not actually as easy as advertised... In my experience, that is... Some of Kanako's spellcards in Easy totally ream me yet I can seem to find not as much of a problem in Normal? I don't really know if that is the case with you, but I'm just saying my thoughts about it. Then again, I don't have much experience with the Windows Touhou games, only PC-98 ones.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: August 12, 2008, 05:32:02 PM »
IN Easy takes the "easiest Touhou" title without much trouble, as far as I'm concerned.

~

PST: Still in the Clerk's Ward, tying up loose ends. Had to check a FAQ because I didn't know where to go next: turns out I hadn't seen everything in the Deionarra sensory stone, which meant talking to Iannis didn't give me the option of picking up my legacy, which meants I couldn't get into the Foundry, which meant I couldn't reach the portal to Ravel. Yeah, PST can be silly like that. Anyway, ready to move on now.

...Wel, after some rampant kleptomania. Money's kinda scarce in Sigil, and yet there's plenty of good stuff to buy. The solution? Dump all of Annah's thief points into pickpocketing, swipe all the unique equips from the tailor, rob the Sensates blind and pawn their jewelry for cash in case there's anything I can't steal (damned Vrischika has eyes like a hawk). Also, kill Mantuok and sell that damned book for 4500 coppers (I'm lawful good, so I'm not using that).

Okay, so now I'm ready to leave Sigil. Going to give Ignus the boot to free up space for Nordom because: A) Ignus is kinda useless; B) travelling with him freaks me out; C) how could I turn down recruiting an artificial life form? So yeah. Also would like to grab Vhailor when I find him, just for the sake of spending time with everyone. Might toss Dak'kon for that--I need Annah for thievery, Grace for healing, and Morte for being Morte, so yeah. I don't have the INT needed for a lot of Dak'kon's stuff anyway. Even if this results in a less-than-ideal party...hey, Torment lets you talk your way past almost everything. So whatever.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 05:34:18 PM by El Cideon »