Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 472931 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #3100 on: August 27, 2008, 05:16:56 AM »
Persona 3- It is done.  Involved summoning he who is called the Morning Star and evoking the dark powers of Satan, but the game is finally done!
On the whole, game's biggest strength, and therefore weakness, was the total control over pacing.  Everything's just done up in small packets so you can really just play and lose track of the time.  In the sim-mode.  The trouble with the game is that Tartarus does not work this way at all, you HAVE to do a set of floors at once or you're wasting your time, nevermind that due to the time issue, you can't run out and resupply in the middle of a run should the need arise.  You either have to waste another Evening going again or muddle through without, which at times is positively infuriating.  The game just badly, badly needed something closer to Town Portal.  Later on you do get Escape Route, which is really useful if you're into powerlevelling (or happen to be trapped by the Reaper or something), but even that's stupidly late.  Also, Level being the most important stat induces head-desking.  That said, there are definitely times that the battle system is fun, the whole "win fights by denying enemies turn" concept can be enjoyable, when the game lets you (hate for the last set of Tartarus bosses).

Story thoughts in more detail below for spoiler purposes.  IN general?  S.Links are entertaining on average, though certainly the dating ones are... not the standouts, shall we say.  Even though Yuko kinda cracked me up.  For the record... Magician, Emperor, Empress, Heirophant, Lover, Chariot, Hermit, Strength, Hanged Man, Devil, Tower, Star, Moon, and Sun.  So... 17 for a first playthrough?  Sadly I didn't have time left to finish up Aeon.

DL Stuffs-

Regular characters

Minato Arisato- Bluelike.  Initiative, OVERNINETHOUSAAAAAAANNNDDD damage in a system where the next best is under 500 (and that's him too!),  can mix and match for any resist ever, options for status immunity and auto-life... yeah.  It's been said.

Yukari Tekaba- Middle/Light?  I dunno, the speed/durability combo isn't favorable to healing, and no status blocking options or ability to blitz.

Junpei Iori- Low Middle.  Regen can't hurt, but his real damage eating through his HP like nothing means he's not a great slugger, although not bad I guess.

Akihiko Sanada- Middle.  healing, solid damage, just fairly solid.

Mitsuru Kojiro- Low Heavy?  Really depends on if you use an average she 2HKOs in.  Otherwise, just covers her bases.

Ken Amada- Middle.  See Akihiko, ID isn't really accurate enough to kick him up a notch.

Koromaru- Middle.  ID is scrubbish, but the durability and some evade kick him up a notch.

Aigis- Middle.  She can put on pressure, but needs a while to get going.  Durability helps though.

Irregular characters (Note that these are based off my own experiences and are more for fun >.>)

Shinjiro Aragaki- Middle?  Didn't use him, but seems pretty average with some options should he need them.

Chidori- Light.  Is awesome~

Jin- Puny, OHKO-bait~

Takaya- Puny, OHKO-bait~

Nyx Avatar- Middle/Heavy.  HP buffering means he'll get some damage off, between the 13 forms he'll probably do enough to kill many non-healers, although defense is problematic.

Rambling

Here thar be spoilers

So, we'll set aside the whole Death thing.  It's a non-spoiler, the opening video absolutely screams "by the way the hero is going to die" and it only gets more obvious from there.

No, Persona 3 is actually about the meaning of life.  Here, too, it wields a heavy hammer, and the conclusion they intend you to reach (That it's all about making the world a better place, on person, one connection, at a time.) is again pretty straightforward.  Despite being fairly heavy handed, though, being a great sap I still enjoyed it for what it was, although they could have focused on the PC cast more.  I suppose that's what the Fuuka/Yukari/Mitsuru S.Links are for though.  Well, that and making Yukari stutter about spending an afternoon away.  But frankly, Yuko's way funnier about that, and laughing at how flustered the dates are  is the primary value of those five links >.>
Nevermind that "Hello, Maya-san." totally owns everyone for humor.  Honestly, hoping they eventually did the "oh shit, the guy I was talking to online was actually the student I had a crush on?!!?!" scene was my primary reward for beating the game.  Totally a worthwhile payoff, too.
anyway, back on track, despite typical "Persona PCs are masses of daddy issues" being in full effect, Ryoji felt better pulled off than most of the cast.  Granted, might just be amused by his Arcana rants, they were hilarious when each form lasted about two rounds for some reason.

Anyways... hmmm.  7/10 I guess?  The game was engrossing at some points, enraging at others, and settled down into an enjoyable slaughterhouse in the endgame, more than some other games could say I guess.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: August 27, 2008, 05:53:13 AM »
FF7: ...game decides to whore out randomly.  I know this is a one time occurence and it probably won't happen again, but it was enough to inspire me to stop cause it happened RIGHT BEFORE THE SAVE POINT IN THE STUPID ICE AREA...which means like an hour and half progress lost, and I am pissed.

Crisis Core: Finally got Genji Armor! It is awesome.  Also got a Power Suit which is silly.

Mega Man Powered Up: Started Ice Man's missions! Not much else to say.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: August 27, 2008, 06:02:28 AM »
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=930980

How...? I even redid it properly attaching that top wheel and that didn't work.

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=931126

THE MOTHERFUCKING AMERICAN WAY

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=931187

... I love this game.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: August 27, 2008, 07:14:35 AM »
DQ8 - The levels flow kinda fast. In-between finishing the seer quest (RANK GEYZER) and finishing Alexandra Tower, three levels have been gained and I wasn't even really trying very hard. I'm kinda worried Jessica will join underlevelled.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: August 27, 2008, 07:16:30 AM »
Don't worry too much, if she doesn't start underlevelled, she'll get there.  More to the point, they start her high enough up that you can level a bit and she should be in the same ballpark.  The designers do expect you to do most of your levelling by simply exploring, after all.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3105 on: August 27, 2008, 07:19:11 AM »
Well, it'd worry me less if enemies weren't failing it up. You get a boomerang and suddenly everything just keels over and dies. >_>

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: August 27, 2008, 07:24:29 AM »
Yeah, around the time you get Angelo you also get access to a boomerang that I believe is two upgrades up that chain which'll serve you for a good ten-fifteen hours of gameplay.  They're also his best weapon, even without skill points invested, for about 2/3 of the game, with the exception of bosses.  After that point, arguments for other weapons start to arrive.

Also, in case it hasn't been pointed out to you yet, there's an awesome Alchemy guide on the GFaqs board for the game.  Not the FAQs page, but the forum.  It is stickied, and generally a solid, well thought out guide that provides options that are both theoretically available as well as those which are practical, as well as discussing which ingredients are rare but valuable and laying out the options for what you can use them for.  It's a great guide if you like being able to make intelligent decisions about how to alchemize stuff instead of doing it blindly like the game wants you to.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: August 27, 2008, 07:32:58 AM »
... Excal, you just saved my fucking life. Thanks.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: August 27, 2008, 07:52:55 AM »
For what it's worth, DQ8 level gain is very fast at first then slows down. Jessica didn't get underlevelled for me, but I never had her (or anyone else) dead at the end of boss fights. (And used Holy Protection to cancel encounters at a certain point of the game.)

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: August 27, 2008, 08:00:15 AM »
Mountain of Faith, Normal, Reimu B

1cced.  o_O.  It's just an all-round good day for me and Touhou I guess.  Yay, I finally have an Extra unlocked!  Now to go play...MoF extra using Reimu B.  Should be fun >_>

Also: with the easiest Easy and my first 1cc Normal, I'm ready to declare MoF the easiest in the series as far as sane difficulty settings go.

EDIT: got way further into Extra than I thought I would (up to Frog Girl doing weird spiral star stuff; about 5-10 spells into her I'd guess).  Feels like cheating, though, because there were so many bullets on screen my computer slowed down in places >_>
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 08:17:05 AM by metroid composite »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: August 27, 2008, 01:26:12 PM »
DQ8 gives you a a lot of ways to control randoms/EXP, which is very nice. Angelo will show up underleveled/skilled, but not much you can do about that.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: August 27, 2008, 01:38:29 PM »
On that note, Angelo's initial levels yield alarmingly few skill points, but he gets progressively a lot more later, so don't sweat that too much.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: August 28, 2008, 12:45:12 AM »
FFX:  Rikku joined for no explainable reason, although Auron likes her Kaleidoscope Eye (BvS reference).  Visited Guava Salami, and now I'm heading to the Temple of Macarena (Hey, Macarena!).

Came in second in the first blitzball league, thanks to some late hax by the Al Bhed Psyches.  Then I dominated the second league with a 9-1-0 record.  Got a Three Stars, which is apparently the Economizer of this game.  Yay?

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: August 28, 2008, 01:57:31 AM »
DQ8 - Whee FAQing Alchemy Pot is so fun and profitable.

Alternatively, only 13 skill points until TDL, come oooooooooooooooooon.

Pyro

« Reply #3114 on: August 28, 2008, 04:01:16 AM »
Tales of Vesparia:

Token Tales game with Abyss-styled combat. The Dog is Fenrir-bait, the main is yaoi-bait (what, they even say he looks like a pretty girl), and Estelle was cuter in her dress... also don't really dig her voice actress. At least Yuri's VA mitigates the girly-man vibe some.

It really is token Tales. THIS IS A VAST IMPROVEMENT OVER THE OTHER 360 RPGs. This is sad.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: August 28, 2008, 04:28:06 AM »
DQ8 - TDL~.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: August 28, 2008, 08:37:17 AM »
Subterranean Animisim
Decided to play Easy a second time for a few reasons.  First of all, I wanted to make sure my first time wasn't a fluke (it wasn't--spent the entire time at 7-8 lives).  Second, I noticed that the stage 4 boss has a unique last couple of spell cards depending on which character you use, and Reimu B seems to suck, so I didn't expect to see those cards on Noral.  Third, I wanted to see if using a crappy character (Reimu B) instead of a character argued one of the best (Reimu A) would somehow save the difficulty (it doesn't).

Starcraft:
1v1ed Laggy.  Lost.  Was a good game, though, and close up until I completely lacked expansions at the wrong time.

Perfect Cherry Blossom
Played Normal with Marissa A.  Got pretty badly punked--granted, not EoSD badly, which is to say I cleared it (using...two continues?) but I think I continued somewhere stupidly early, like stage 2 or something.

TF2:
Played a semi-organized game with special guest Otter (who did fairly well considering his opponents).  Laggy playing TF2 seems to have drawn a few DLers out of retirement.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: August 28, 2008, 09:35:23 AM »
Subterranean Animisim
Decided to play Easy a second time for a few reasons.  First of all, I wanted to make sure my first time wasn't a fluke (it wasn't--spent the entire time at 7-8 lives).  Second, I noticed that the stage 4 boss has a unique last couple of spell cards depending on which character you use, and Reimu B seems to suck, so I didn't expect to see those cards on Noral.  Third, I wanted to see if using a crappy character (Reimu B) instead of a character argued one of the best (Reimu A) would somehow save the difficulty (it doesn't).

Stage 4 boss's first card is fixed, while the last three depend on the character you're using.

Also, try ReimuC, have fun with bombs.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: August 28, 2008, 11:00:36 AM »
ToV- I-NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! UGHHHHH!!! Judy has now reach some really ridiculous level on combo mechanic. Up to triple aerial jump cancel as well as landing cancel? Especially you can force her to land whenever you want? This is just overwhelming, and bloody with aerial damage up.

Lita got creepier, a Meteor Swarm that is actually concentrated and hits grounded enemy? And that Meteor Swarm is so long that gives her enough time to cast Tidal Wave right afterward? God, and I thought Yuri's 283 hit solo combo is bad enough.

Oh, and did I mention that Estelle NEVER dies? I mean what, already with tank defense, her hp cannot be dropped below 1 as long as she guard, she can restore hp and status while guarding, drains TP while guarding, has Guard Impact to give her free hits, has Break Suppress to prevent guard break, and is completly magic immuned!!!! And this not all!! She has auto counter with picohon or healing spells, can refresh her guard through Won Combo (and Won Combo is compatible with her status inflicting physical), and has one free shot of auto revive!! God, under DL standard she simply unkillable, unless getting hit by fatal physical status. Yeah, Estelle, the healer from hell, for godlike champion.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: August 28, 2008, 12:53:30 PM »
Sounds awesme Niu~

TDL - Twin Dragon Lash Snow?

LoD- Dart/Meru/Albert team. Stopped in Kadessa for a while to see if I could pick up a Dancer's Ring. After much training and three or so days with breaks in between ... those darn Pucks still hadn't dropped any! *explodes* Decided to move on cause I couldn't stand it any more. Meru has Double Smack, Hammer Spin and Cool Boogie maxxed and all of her dragoon spells including Blue Sea Dragon, Dart has all d spells and all additions up to Moonstrike mastered, Albert has all of his additions mastered and all of his d spells. Yes that's how long training at Kadessa took, Albert got Jade Dragon and obtained and mastered Flower Storm >.> So the party is rather overpowered anyway even without the Dancer's Ring. Just for fun I bought a bunch of Spark Nets and Thunderbolts in Deningard then had Meru nuke randoms with them on the way to the Divine Dragon - Meru goes first = randoms die in one go. She did 2000+ to Divine Dragon + parts with Power Up + Night Raid too. Mmmm Dragon Helm and Magical Badge. Attack Badge is nifty too. If it's only two enemies and they are susceptible to physical attacks Meru and Dart go first taking them out before Albert even gets a turn. Which is kind of embarrasing >.>

Oh yeah I have over 16'000 gold now thanks to Kadessa <.<
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 12:55:15 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3120 on: August 28, 2008, 01:48:27 PM »
Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song - WTF I just beat Ifrit on the first try with an underpowered party. (and with half the "use basic punch to knock down Self-Immolation" turns becoming "spark martial arts tech, suicide") Probably had something to do with him using freaking Strike Of Corruption on almost every one of his turns. Didn't get that many great techs out of it - Jackhammer, Raksha and Plasma Shot, with nothing at all for the melee weapon users - but I'll take it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 01:50:30 PM by Shale »
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: August 28, 2008, 06:02:31 PM »
DQ8 - Angelo x1 get. The Ciatos rejoice.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: August 28, 2008, 06:49:56 PM »
More RSMS: I wasn't originally planning on it, but I'm now going to try and get all three ending quests. I was just aiming for The Netherworld, but when I went to boot Aisha from the party so I could recruit Galahad (and then boot him and kill him for the extra Saruin points, naturally), the Minstrel gave me the Trials of Elore story. then I killed Galahad, and immediately got The Tale Of Death. So now I've just got to drop Saruin's favor below 200, and I can get Auldburg too. I'm planning on doing that by fighting in Valhalland (which I have to do anyway; haven't even unlocked it yet) and using The Scissors as much as possible; anybody know of a better way?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 06:53:13 PM by Shale »
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: August 28, 2008, 09:20:30 PM »
Finished Koudelka (a couple days ago, actually). It's a decent little game, I guess. Dialogue/atmosphere is fun, gameplay is not. Combat's some of the most tedious I've encountered, room exits can be awkwardly placed and hard to find, and I've yet to encounter a weapon-breaking system that doesn't induce ::psyduck::. It balances out to average, basically (though it probably wouldn't if the game was the length of a normal RPG).

Anyway, lost to Elaine 3 (damn, she's creepy; the FMV model genuinely looks soulless just from the eyes) for the normal ending. Nice exit for James there. Then reloaded and chucked the pendant to see the Melting Faces bad end. Beating Elaine 3...eh, I could probably manage it with a few more levels, but effort (also means more Koudelka combat). Will probably hit YouTube if there's anything there worth seeing.

Also, Koudelka is probably the most sensibly-dressed woman in the Shadow Hearts series. Which says a lot about SH given that it still allows for pantyshots (PSX-era fanservice what).

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #3124 on: August 28, 2008, 10:42:05 PM »
Also, Koudelka is probably the most sensibly-dressed woman in the Shadow Hearts series. Which says a lot about SH given that it still allows for pantyshots (PSX-era fanservice what).

Lieutenant Colonel Kawashima. FACE.