Register

Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 472801 times)

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #3475 on: September 16, 2008, 08:11:19 AM »
If you can't beat Hell Lord with Overdrive, then use Over Drive loop. It is impossible to lose with that.

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: September 16, 2008, 08:21:48 AM »
Error, Nocturne doesn't have Dante, that would be Maniax.

Nocturne has Dante in the US just fine.

Maniax is the US Nocturne as well.

The Japanese got a different initial release and then re-released it as Maniax, WHICH IN TURN was the version that was localized in the US as SMT3 and in PAL as Lucifer's Call
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: September 16, 2008, 09:06:58 AM »
I haven't played Torment.

Play Torment.

And the way the characters beat like a heart freshly torn from a chest ala Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom doesn't freak you the fuck out?  They randomly pulse at a steady rhythm during plot sequences.  GS is a freaking disturbing game.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: September 16, 2008, 12:42:39 PM »
Thanks peeps~

I'm stuck at Matador now. My strategies are failing =-( Troll was tough until I figured out one extra level + High Pixie using DEF down + Isora = win.

Party is -

Main L14 (default demon form)
High Pixie L12
Asparas L10
Isora L13

I was using Angel but her weakness is hit in the Matador fight so I switched her out for Asparas.
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Taishyr

« Reply #3479 on: September 16, 2008, 12:54:36 PM »
Matador is brutal, yes. IIRC, he doesn't like defense debuffs, nor does he do much about your team's buffs. Buff up to max/bust him to min, then blitz him. He's got surprisingly low HP, so it's feasible. Just... don't start attacking him at all until the buffs are up, he doesn't get that aggressive until he loses some HP.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3480 on: September 16, 2008, 01:21:44 PM »
I see ... thanks Tai~

Yeah I noticed the aggressive thing >_> Evil multi turning sod *^_^*

I'm thinking the only buff I have is Rakunda but I'll take a look at the demons in my inventory and see if there is anything I can whip up. I don't have Petra, Slime or the alien thing any more because I fused them <.<

I am enjoying the game now =-) Random battles are a lot less painful now that I'm utilising teleporting save points. Ginza is win because of the demons on black horses there. Black horses <3 It is also win because I came across familar faces from P3 like Asparas, Lilim, Angel and Jack Frost. I also saw Pyro Jack when I was checking out what my demons could eventually fuse into. The Maniquins are quaint and I like them~
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 01:23:17 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: September 16, 2008, 01:30:31 PM »
It is also win because I came across familar faces from P3 like Asparas, Lilim, Angel and Jack Frost. I also saw Pyro Jack when I was checking out what my demons could eventually fuse into. The Maniquins are quaint and I like them~

Yeah, the SMT crew reuses a lot of the same demons in multiple games. Kinda like FF summons.

Taishyr

« Reply #3482 on: September 16, 2008, 02:10:54 PM »
Hm. I want to say... I'm pretty sure none of your current demons get buffs upon leveling. Isora should get Riberama, which is useful for fighting swarms of Isora and murdering them with Maragi or something simple.

Argh, this is why I need to make the skill lists of demons in a far more readable format; one FAQ has them but it's not that great.

Two things. One: if you have the Magatama that lets you immune Force or resist Physicals, do so; neither of their downsides will hurt you this battle.

Two:
On a quick look, you can get Tarukaja from a Shikigami (in the hospital), Raku-kaja from a Nozuchi (you need to fuse for this, I think, but you're high enough level for it. On the other hand, he learns it at like L17, so uh.)
Hua Po should learn Rakukaja sooner.
(Sudamas in the dungeon you're in get Makakaja and Sukukaja, but it takes forever; don't bother until later to grab these from them).

Effectively, grab Hua Po and Shikigami, get them the skills, fuse them into better monsters (If you can fuse into a Nozuchi somehow, excellent; it immunes Force) and you should be set.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3483 on: September 16, 2008, 03:36:37 PM »
Golden Sun: Forgot how much fun the puzzles were in this game. Colosso is especially fun - obstacle course colosseum where you strategically place your friends to help you cheat your way to victory with psychic powers! GS is great on gameplay polish for sure. Simple, but it does simple things very well.

-Djinn

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: September 16, 2008, 03:48:11 PM »
Meeple Fantasy 6: oh god

- There aren't enough Pokemon/FE references in the earlygame, Meeple. I'm disappointed in you.
- Infinite Shadies that say "ard ard". I see.
- Fayt replacing Edgar? Boooooooooo~. Also he has almost nothing but semi-serious dialogue in THIS hack.
- I feel compelled to stab you for Geodude's design. Fire immune + explode is not annoying at all~
- Songi being a Vegeta recolour makes almost too much sense for Meeple.
- Hey, the meeting sequence was pretty good probably because no one ever does it~!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 03:53:47 PM by Nitori »
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: September 16, 2008, 09:59:46 PM »
S5 - Beaten yesterday! Butterfly~ cost me a reset because I forgot S5 polish fails and didn't rearrange the reset formation for the last battle, making Miakis miss everything. Second time, I abused one formation that dealt MT 9999 damage. <_< But anyhow. Final party was Freyjadour/Miakis/Lyon/Cathari/Nelis/Killey. Balanced for magic and physicals, Miakis for MVP forever with Cathari right behind as the other damage goddess. Lyon also killed things with her physical, while I twinked Frey for magic. Nelis/Killey were mages, although I do recognize Killey would be pretty strong as a physical twink, too. Anyhow, rant time!

If I may: Suikoden 5 in a nutshell is EVERYTHING IS FABULOUS~: The Game. The fabulous-o-meter implodes in the early game with Arshtat+Ferid alone, and it just escalates from that (although Arshtat+Ferid are the most fabulous of them all). I've never seen such a collection of pointlessly, incredibly pretty people crammed together, and the game even hangs a lampshade on that. Past that... well.

First, the bad. Suikoden 5 polish FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAILS. As in, fails like Suikoden 1 polish, sometimes more. At times, it felt like I was playing a PSX-era RPG, with clunky navigation, poor menu memory, obnoxiously present loading screens, constantly resetting formations and DO YOU REALLY WANT TO HEAL Y/N. Not to mention the graphics are poor. I'd call them sub-S3 in a heartbeat, and while I don't ask for the game to be pretty like S4 (hey, pretty was like one of three things S4 had going for it), it was horribly rushed in that regard and it shows.

S5 recruitment ALSO fails hardcore, which really ties in with polish. The requirements for some units are impossibly retarded, there are obscure recruitment windows and obtuse tangentially related side requirements by the gallon, and there are many annoying to get, perma-missable characters who are tied in with OTHER annoying to get and perma-missable characters. Layering obnoxiousness is the way to failure. Even with a FAQ, recruiting is a pain, and don't you dare begin S5 without at least the Stars of Destiny FAQ from Suikosource handy if you want to get all the SoDs. *Punts Djinn for S5 recruitment hype.*

Continuing on the bad, S5 continues S4's tendency of going steps backwards in gameplay. Adding skills back to Suikoden is yay and adding Party SP mechanics as well as more flexible SP management is also yay. Severely limiting the effects, uniqueness and versatility of skills is very not yay (two skill slots? No relevant in-battle uniques? Fail). This makes them ultimately not matter much, and they certainly don't matter as character distinction tools - which sucks, since S3 did this pretty well. The bad outweighs the good here.

Now, for the inoffensive: gameplay is essentially non-existant, but I certainly didn't mind it. The game is impossibly broken and drops evil twinking runes for both magical and physical ends like candy, which makes the twinking in S5 rather versatile, since you can make things explode in a very practical manner no matter which way you choose. Since I generally like Suikoden's rune micromanagement in its raw simplicity, this works. Also helps level the character balance and amount of people worth using in the game: S4 was annoying because it had S1 syndrome - i.e. most everybody sucks to the point of uselessness, and the really good people are few and far between. S5 makes so that the vast majority of people can be made at least moderately effective, and more than a select few downright monstrous. It's mindless, but sometimes, I find mindless fun. The game is certainly way too easy to warrant even one third of the broken it provides, but hey. I mean, Circle Formation alone rips the game in half. >_>

Now, for the good: the writing is a -joy-, particularly for console RPG standards. Snappy dialogue, well-defined and colorful personalities, and, for most of the game, a noticeable, satisfying sense of internal consistency that seeps through the writing - along with generally superb execution in most areas. The character work was, sadly, at its best in the early game, but that sharpness makes the slow, plodding beginning non-annoying to pass through. Honestly, while S5 pacing isn't fast at all, it's good: the story itself doesn't feel like a horribly rushed supercompressing storytelling disaster like, say, S4. And the game doesn't feel dragging because of it - far the contrary, the game feels fairly constantly dynamic and adding layers in a nice pace. I also dig the setup and atmosphere of Falena: it felt well-executed and very distinctive. Characters are also generally good and consistent (Arshtat and Ferid are -wonderful-, and Lymsleia is probably the best-written child I've seen in a game), although I have this feeling of "what the hell" with Marscal and Sialeeds. I have the vague feeling some Perfect Works retconned the vagueness of Sialeeds's true objectives, which probably shatters the effectiveness of the character with a sledgehammer, and Marscal feels way out of the left field. Otherwise, though, it's all fine. However, I have to say that the poor graphics hurt a few scenes, particularly the ones with crying. OHGOD THE RENDERING IT BURRRRRRRRRRRRNS kinda takes out the impacts of scenes like Lym's breakdown, since the ugliness tosses the effect right into the uncanny valley.

The rest is just typical Suikodenness, but this isn't bad, at least not to me (I have a vague positive bias towards Suikoden in general. My constant ragging on S4 shows how badly they screwed it up considering the series sorta caters to me in a primal level). Backed up by good writing, it's downright damn good. Certainly no Suikoden 3, but S5 certainly lived up to my expectations in the sense I was expecting, and I had tons of fun even in spite of the horrible polish. 8/10 because the writing just hit my good spots that damned much.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 07:51:45 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: September 17, 2008, 12:38:35 AM »
Portal: Started and finished in one sitting. Fun little game. Works off a simple gameplay concept, exhaustively explores it, and does so with plenty of flair. Cake is a lie indeed~

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #3487 on: September 17, 2008, 12:50:56 AM »
I have the vague feeling some Perfect Works retconned the vagueness of Sialeeds's true objectives

Nope, actually her objectives are laid out very clearly by Kyle at the very end of the game, when he's hanging out in the castle graveyard. Apparently she explained it all to him after they doinked.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: September 17, 2008, 01:02:14 AM »
BvS - Decided to do some tournys to see how far I could get. Results were 1 win, 3 runner ups and reached the semi final in the one I didn't win anything. Great place for money the arena is and I'm only twin blooded.

Currently have 10K points and so can get the +2 range item but I'm holding off for a while. Currently doing the fail that is burgerninja and I've got half the knightframe parts already but theres one problem. Those crappy burgerninja allies just do not appear and I'm not just generally doing missions. I'm using Stand by your ninja and WhiteEye and yet they do not appear after 20-30 mission attempts!

Oh yeah I got my hands on a sham rock. Just need one more and I can start floating on air.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: September 17, 2008, 02:03:13 AM »
Rozalia, what's your ingame name?  I've got an extra Sham Rock I can mail you.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3490 on: September 17, 2008, 03:49:46 AM »
Bah, say what you will, I -liked- the retarded challenge of S5's recruitment.

Golden Sun continues to be a joy of polished gameplay, though I'm only now starting to see Grefter's point about how character sprites fluctuate during dialog - indeed, creepy. I have collected many Djinni now and Garet as a Brute is far more effective than his natural class series. My current class setup has Mia as  near-useless now, though... >.>;; Oh well, it's not like she ever gets a turn anyway.

While looking up gameplay information I stumbled across the Golden Sun fan community. o.O!!!! Dear god, do we actually have those people come here to vote? What kind of votedraw does GS have?

The game's story is apparently specifically tailored to appeal to young teenage girls if the fanbase is any indication...

-Djinn

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: September 17, 2008, 04:58:58 AM »
I have the vague feeling some Perfect Works retconned the vagueness of Sialeeds's true objectives

Nope, actually her objectives are laid out very clearly by Kyle at the very end of the game, when he's hanging out in the castle graveyard. Apparently she explained it all to him after they doinked.

And originally, the writers planned to have Kyle defects along with her too, but they changed their minds feeling taking away two character that have been around for the whole game at once is a bit too much. But honestly, I like the idea that Kyle defects with her better. Knowing Kyle's personality and what probably happened between them.... it makes more sense that Kyle leaves too.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: September 17, 2008, 05:02:51 AM »
That would've actually been pretty cool.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: September 17, 2008, 07:20:08 AM »
DDS - Started this on S5's trail. Up to Mick the Slug's fortress.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: September 17, 2008, 08:07:33 AM »
Not much gaming time these days, but here's life after XF for me:

FFX - Finished replay of this. Not much to say, the game remains rather excellent. Not many new insights on the game, probably because I spread out the playthrough so much. Well, my opinion of Auron as a PC dropped. The Yuna/Tidus relationship is pretty well done for an RPG.

Fire Emblem 7 - Reached BATTLE PREPARATIONS YES. Game's almost over. I briefly dipped below 5 stars in Funds after finishing my promotions in Cog of Destiny, but got it back a chapter later. 70k spent on promotions - Raven, Priscilla, Lucius, Florina, Lyn, Kent. Lucius is probably too RNG screwed to really justify it (13 speed!) buut he gets a C in staves and the supports he's build mean a lot. Anyway, S ranking seems pretty much inevitable now - Battle Prep is a free 60k in assets so I'm set on Funds, I'm about 15 turns clear of the Tactics threshold, and I've managed to get almost every unpromoted PC to Level 10-15 or so, even Nino, so I think I'm set on Exp. A few trump cards like Hammerning the Prf weapons and Serra Fortify spam still exist, to boot.

Victory or Death looks scary though. ;_; Eight ranged attacks, not counting Eclipse.

F-Zero GX - Decent enough game, I approve of the addition of story mode to the F-Zero formula, and beside that it shakes things up enough while keeping the same core gameplay. Only big minus is the music is way worse. Game also seems a little slower, buut it's still really fast so this is usually okay, it only hurts a few of the larger tracks.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3495 on: September 17, 2008, 09:39:34 AM »
Rozalia, what's your ingame name?  I've got an extra Sham Rock I can mail you.

Its Vier. Actually I'll put that banner in my sig. Makes it easier for everyone.

Also thank you for the sham rock. No one in my village had any to trade. They either just didn't have them or had 1 for themselfs and none for trade.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: September 17, 2008, 11:39:31 AM »
Hey Tai =-) - thanks a bunch. Your advice/information helped a lot.

SMT- FINALLY got to the Mantra demon city. Used the Fountain of Life after defeating a Mantra demon, saved, explored to find items. Went to visit the "Lady in Black!" and the old man, then saved again. Explored a bit of the Labyrinth of Amala but didn't save. About that is it essential to do the Labyrinth or is it possible to complete the game without it? On one hand it looks like it might be good for building up my party, on the other hand I might get carried away and become overpowered via levelling/insane twinking if that's what Amala offers >.>

Taishyr

« Reply #3497 on: September 17, 2008, 12:40:02 PM »
Labyrinth of Amala is optional. If you beat it, the ending you get becomes set to an optional ending (outside the Labyrinth, there are... 5 endings?); this also triggers an optional final boss. This being said, it's a pretty good place to level/explore, so long as you've saved before. It's got great items/rewards.

And, uh. Don't worry too much about breaking the game. Seriously. If you choose this path, decent odds you'll find some of it challenging anyway.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3498 on: September 17, 2008, 01:21:27 PM »
Golden Sun: Metal Gear Isaac minigame time! Awesome.

-Djinn

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: September 17, 2008, 08:24:02 PM »
Touhou: EoSD, Normal

Did three playthroughs this morning:
Reimu A --ran out of continues before even getting to Sakuya.
Reimu B --ran out of continues at the final boss.
Marissa A --nearly 1cced, though tragically died on the very last card.

I...what?  The fact that I could fail to get to Sakuya is mind-boggling given my usual performance, but the fact that I could also nearly 1cc Normal is also mind-boggling given my usual performance.  o_O