Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 464238 times)

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #3700 on: September 28, 2008, 05:13:04 AM »
Wanted to take a break from shooting headcrab zombies, so I started Disgaea 3. Played through the first chapter, which is mostly the usual tutorial stuff. Mao feels like Laharl Redux.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: September 28, 2008, 05:42:54 AM »
KH2 - Beaten! Man, those battles were so pointlessly stylish. Not really up for a rant on the game, KH is very simplistic on what to like and not to like. Jedi Mickey was all kinds of badass, though, and you can't go wrong for entertainment on a trainwreck full of NOMUUUUUUUUUUUUURAAAAAAAAAA. 8/10, would play it again, etc. etc.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: September 28, 2008, 08:10:53 AM »
KH2 - Beaten! Man, those battles were so pointlessly stylish. Not really up for a rant on the game, KH is very simplistic on what to like and not to like. Jedi Mickey was all kinds of badass, though, and you can't go wrong for yaoi on a trainwreck full of NOMUUUUUUUUUUUUURAAAAAAAAAA. 8/10, would play it again, etc. etc.

Fixed.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: September 28, 2008, 08:34:28 AM »
You say it like yaoi isn't part of entertainment.

EDIT: Although it might have deserved some more consideration, since they lay it on so thick. Even past Roxas/Axel being canon, the Sora/Riku vibes were actually physically tangible. "OH RIKU I MISSED YOU SO MUCH oh hey Kairi I guess you sorta grew up too". Kairi got breasts for nothing.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 08:37:07 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: September 28, 2008, 09:16:26 AM »
Knights in the Nightmare - Levelling maps are great practice for being able to manipulate the different classes for future playthroughs, they're also an awesome way to harvest quick EXP and quick weapons in case my current ones are about to break. On the story side of things, it's starting to get harder and harder with each scene advance, and I already had a lot of trouble with the first boss. Geez, Sting, you've outdone yourselves!
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #3705 on: September 28, 2008, 09:19:11 AM »
You gotta lure the Japanese in somehow, and since they grew up watching Big Time Adventure Squad Tentacle Raper Murata instead of Aladdin, you go for two effeminate men who are gay for each other.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: September 28, 2008, 09:27:35 AM »
Knights in the Nightmare - Levelling maps are great practice for being able to manipulate the different classes for future playthroughs, they're also an awesome way to harvest quick EXP and quick weapons in case my current ones are about to break. On the story side of things, it's starting to get harder and harder with each scene advance, and I already had a lot of trouble with the first boss. Geez, Sting, you've outdone yourselves!

I can give you some some cheat codes if you want too.... I actually have use cheat codes for Sting game ever since how badly I got raped by Gulcasa back in Yggdra Union (god, the hard mode is simply ridiculous). Sting and their insane bosses.......

TranceHime

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: September 28, 2008, 09:31:22 AM »
I can give you some some cheat codes if you want too.... I actually have use cheat codes for Sting game ever since how badly I got raped by Gulcasa back in Yggdra Union (god, the hard mode is simply ridiculous). Sting and their insane bosses.......

No, it's fine. Thank you for your kindness though, I do remember that in Yggdra Union Hard. Yes it is ridiculous beyond all belief. Screw you Gulcasa. I play Sting games for how hard they are though so for me cheat codes would just sorta break the game's value for me. :V
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3708 on: September 28, 2008, 11:35:25 AM »
Golden Sun 2: Complete!
Huh, the story's not complete suck. Also, speaking Isaac is a badass. Why is Garet the only character in the game -not- wearing a cape?

Gameplay is nifty and overall I'd say this was a great gameplay experience for the GBA. I wouldn't mind playing a third one. I may want to vote on the GS2 versions of Isaac's crew. Not sure yet.

-Djinn
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 12:05:24 PM by DjinnAndTonic »

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: September 28, 2008, 01:12:33 PM »
Default response: Because Garet is an idiot.

Anyways...

Disgaea DS: Started this recently.  My gameplay expectations are rather low based on what all I've heard, but I don't see how it could possibly be worse than *shudder* AtL2 or Hoshigami.  Geopanels or whatever can go eat a dick, though.  Even this early I can tell that they can only lead to pain and frustration.

Also played some of the GBA version of Mazes of Fate.  Man, that game has problems, the most glaring of which is that it sucks.  I think deep down I must enjoy pain.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: September 28, 2008, 01:39:49 PM »
So I just ruthlessly dominated a 200-star game of SotS today. I think my ridiculous galactic hegemony came down to two things:

One, the planets that weren't connected by node lines this time were worthless Size 1 blackrocks instead of being size 9 manufacturing powerhouses.

Two, getting AI from Expert Systems.

Combine the two and you have an empire that branches out from one spiral arm of the galaxy and occupies most of the inner core. I grew tired of smashing my enemies for a little while, so I took a break after I had taken a good half of the galaxy, and just decided to tech up so I could make obscenely awesome ships, instead of the Fusion stuff. Heavy Antimatter Cannons are truly OP, and I very much enjoy the noise they shouldn't make, but do, when they fire.

By this point, the three remaining races (me having wiped out the Zuul early in the game because they kept bumping heads with me) allied against me and bum rushed the galactic core. Well, it turns out I have a lot of very nice planets in the galactic core region, so they're all defended by the GOOD defensive platforms, and not just the shitty Destroyer-sized ones. And since that was about where I decided to take a break from the advance of my juggernaut, it was also the front line, so they were tangling with my gigantic front-line battle groups instead of the regional garrison fleets I toss all my older, more lameass ships into.

In the end, it was the Battle of Unicron (yes, Unicron) that had me decide to end the game. They threw a hundred or so cruisers (but oddly, not a single dreadnaught) at my Fifth Fleet and holy shit if Unicron doesn't have a hundred or so destroyed Tarka, Liir and Hiver cruisers orbiting it now. About five turns later, I realized that they no longer had a combatant navy, so I ended up destroying their entire civilizations.

Sometimes, I wish you could just demand a planet surrender to you, but most of the time, I enjoy that the only way to conquer a planet is to burn everyone on it to ash and then build your own colony on top of their burned-down colony (just like the Spaniards).

TranceHime

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: September 28, 2008, 02:11:53 PM »
Also played some of the GBA version of Mazes of Fate.  Man, that game has problems, the most glaring of which is that it sucks.  I think deep down I must enjoy pain.

If it makes you feel better I finished the GBA Mazes of Fate twice and I'm playing the DS Mazes of Fate ^_^

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3712 on: September 28, 2008, 02:48:46 PM »
Started a replay of Lufia II. I haven't played the game since I was a kid and I thought I should refresh myself a bit. I'm going to try to speed play it so that I can get back to other games, but since there's a bunch of Lufia2 duellers in this season, I thought I needed the refresher now.

Got Tia and Foomy and I'm ready to take on the world! >.>;;

Sidenote: Found a site with Pretty Estopolis Fanart. It's mostly Dekar, Guy, and Selan. So... awesomeness. Lookout, there's a few GuyXDekar pictures from this girl. But it's such pretty artwork, you should brave it anyway. (Or seek it out, for the Nius.)

http://mariko.sonnabakana.com/e/frame.html

-Djinn

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: September 28, 2008, 06:23:16 PM »

Hahaha.  You got that right.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: September 28, 2008, 07:34:51 PM »
WA3 - Trying to play this is getting to be amusing in just how many ways it can not be a viable option, from failing memory cards to not having time at home, to simply having a younger brother run off with the controller.  Hopefully I'll be able to play it again some day.

FF3 - Of course, the upshot of not being at home much means I do have a lot of time for portable stuff.  Ramming through this game fairly quickly and just finished the Falgabird caves for levels and looting Dark Swords, probably going to sell them for cash too.  My party at present is Luneth/Thief, Refia/Warrior, Arc/Dragoon, and Ingus/White Mage.  Thief is as impressive as always, but Warrior has just blown me out of the water with how good it is, not only managing to keep up with Thief for damage, but actually surpass it.  Especially after I got the Diamond equips to give it a necessary defense boost (seriously, nothing else on the main world for them until you hit Diamond makes them fragile by that point).  Dragoon will be replaced by some magic class or another, possibly Warlock for blasting or Sage for added healing, after I get through the mountain dungeon, and the White Mage -> Devout progression seems inevitable as the Lvl 8 spells and added castings of Curaja and Curaga are necessary.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: September 28, 2008, 07:40:40 PM »
WA3 - Trying to play this is getting to be amusing in just how many ways it can not be a viable option, from failing memory cards to not having time at home, to simply having a younger brother run off with the controller.  Hopefully I'll be able to play it again some day.

Ciato's voodoo dolls seem to be in working condition.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: September 28, 2008, 08:25:49 PM »
Warioland: Shake it.

Beaten (or got the default ending; I'm sure there's others).  It's funny--the week before playing this, I was studying game design and the psychological underpinnings of "fun" (I also found out that I'm a robot who doesn't experience fun.  Games are serious business!  "fun" does not compute! *beep*)  Objectively, WL:SI has a ridiculous amount of fun; knowing what I know now I was rather impressed with the design.  However there's a caveat: it's rather hardcore.  Don't get me wrong, the early levels are easy, but they're not simple...I wouldn't want to show WL:SI to someone who hasn't played many side-scrollers; they'd probably get confused/frustrated.  Enjoyable for me, though (and on a side note, I suspect one of their boss designers plays Touhou >_>).

Target audience aside, there's still minor caveats: It uses the wiimote.  Wario is freaking ugly and shoves his ass in the screen too much.  Half the team is obviously used to designing without a health meter (wario was invincible in previous Wariolands) so you end up with half the enemies who don't hurt you, and the other half who do.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 08:30:33 PM by metroid composite »

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: September 28, 2008, 10:13:42 PM »
Wario wasn't invincible in WL1 or WL4, Met.

And I've been playing a bunch of stuff that I don't feel like posting about until later :<

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: September 28, 2008, 11:40:15 PM »
Yes, and WL1 was awesome, so it all balanced out. Jesus christ I wonder what happened to my copy of that game.

Deltaflyer

• Denizen
  • The Hypnotoad Cometh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: September 28, 2008, 11:55:26 PM »
Im currently hooked on the demo of Civilisation Revolution on the Xbox 360. Its awesome.
Do I really look like I have a clue?

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3720 on: September 29, 2008, 12:31:14 AM »
Legaia 2 - I was playing this once? Oh well. Got to Yuno village! The Forest Maze was unannoying.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: September 29, 2008, 01:31:11 AM »
MK- Beaten! Fun fluffy game with an end score of 7. I got Flay's ending.
...into the nightfall.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: September 29, 2008, 01:33:43 AM »
Im currently hooked on the demo of Civilisation Revolution on the Xbox 360. Its awesome.

I too enjoyed it deeply. You should consider picking up Civilization 4: Colonization, though. It's a stand alone xpack, so you can just grab that and if you enjoy it, get the main game and the other two expansions (Beyond the Sword being my favorite of the two).

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: September 29, 2008, 01:34:13 AM »
Kirby Super Star Ultra: 100%. Badass remake, KAIZO SPRING BREEZE is the best addition to a remake ever~.

Disgaea DS: It's DISGAEA~! ...again~! Yeah, not much to be excited about. In order to make this interesting, I lost to Midboss on purpose in Chapter 1, started a second cycle, and got Pleinair and am going through the game with her solo. 150% Speed growth = Notable non-Ninja evasion in Disgaea what. At the start of C5~

Rhapsody DS: Beat up the fire dragon the first time. Where the hell are the English songs~?

SONIC PLOT: This game is immensely amusing, but also kind of cool gameplaywise...surprisingly. Randoms are jackasses to the highest degree, though. In the middle of C8 after finishing a SONIC SOLO PLOT FIGHT.
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: September 29, 2008, 04:10:49 AM »
Warriors Orochi 2:  Actually the first game of this genre I've played other than Mystic Heroes.  Yes, I somehow avoided all 10,000 Dynasty Warriors games prior to this.

The plot, or attempt at plot, is laughable.  Hey, here's a bunch of Chinese guys with Japanese guys in their army!  Who's the bad guy this game?  Who cares!

Started Wu Story mode.  Lost 3 times on the first map on Normal difficulty, because Yoshitstune kept suiciding himself while I was otherwise occupied.  Finally switched to Easy difficulty just so I could progress.  Yay.