Register

Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 464166 times)

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #3975 on: October 13, 2008, 05:10:51 AM »
Finaly felt like taking a second shot at the Battle Factory in Emerald, since that was the last silver symbol.  I immediately ran into an epic haxfest vs a Double Team/Swagger/Thunder/Rain Dance Electrode, which took about 40 turns and ended with Kingdra and Kangaskhan dead and Choice Band Aerodactyl locked into Earthquake with about 20 HP left.  The RNG gods then decided to apologize to me by giving me a Ninetales next, then a critical hit to OHKO Ursaring.  The rest was mostly smooth sailing.  A Vaporeon took out Noland's Crobat/Xatu/Machamp team nearly singlehandedly due to the Machamp's AI being stupid and Cross Chop missing at opportune times.

Got my redundant Lansat Berry now, hurray.  Now I'll never have to step in that stupid place again... wait, they brought it back for Platinum?  ;_;

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: October 13, 2008, 06:02:14 AM »
IWBTG-Beat Dr. Wily. That boss fight sucked. Too much time spent just sitting around waiting for an opening, repeptitive as hell. And now, I'm back at the beginning again! Hooray! No idea where to go now, either.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: October 13, 2008, 11:26:54 AM »
FF12 Taitoro? There's a power weapon in the dungeon after the desert if that's your thing ;p The first Demon's Wall must be defeated in order to access it later in the dungeon though >_> Might be possible to go back and fight that thing if you didn't defeat it on the first try, can't remember. Think it's possible to get more than one of the weapon too, vaguely remember leaning on them in my quest for the Zodiac Spear <_< Didn't do any of that until my replay though but if breaking games asap is your cup of tea you might want to look into it =)

Edit - Oh yeah meant to say - those little tribesmen in the desert are great for building up bonus chains on >.> Those little fruitmen are also good as they sometimes drop fruits that can be sold for a nifty price.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 12:46:46 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: October 13, 2008, 07:09:46 PM »
Fire Emblem 10 - Woo, replay. Beat the first four chapters. Largely doing this replay for the sake of trying out different characters, etc., though I'm also going to see the NG+ plot (this idea still fails by the way). More Pelleas is always good.

PC levels: Nolan 12, Micaiah 9, Aran 8, Edward/Leonardo 6, Laura 2

Mega Man 9 - Closing in on 100%. Most recent challenge I beat was "kill all the bosses with 1 HP left". In the case of Galaxy/Jewel/Tornado/Magma/Hornet/Twin Devils, the bosses all do exactly 4 damage and nothing else, so I had to come in with 25 HP (or 21, 17, etc.). Not too bad, just had to learn which eneimes do 3 damage, since many do 2 or 4. The other three robot masters, as well as the Shark Tank, do a mix of damage types, including some odd figures, so I can pull this off while fighting them, though again, takes keeping track of exactly what hits me. Wily 1 boss is a joke since he does 3 damage with his only attack (and you have 28 HP... yeah). Final Wily was probably the most interesting. I tried to set up for him in the robot master run before him, but this didn't work because I proceeded to then make a terrible run at him and die. Basically all his real attacks do 4, but impacting the first two forms does 5. Which means either you come in with 25 HP and get hit exactly six times for real (my intended strategy), or you fight the first two forms until the second is almost dead, use an E-tank, impact the tank three times and finish it off, then beat Teleporting Wily with at most three more times getting hit. With no E-Tanks, it's still doable, except the "at most three times" extends to the entire fight. Overall, though, this challenge wasn't as bad as I expected. This is a contrast to "kill no enemies", which was harder than I expected because the second half of Wily 3, with oodles of enemies who block your path as you jump between pits, is a bitch.

Currently working on the hardest challenge of all, take no damage. I've beaten all the robot master stages, which is the easy part, but this still took me some three hours to do. Started at Galaxy Man and went in weakness order from there. Hardest challenges were Jewel Man's stage (especially the miniboss, and the various deadly combinations of grunts, and Plug Man (the boss.... oh boy, I'll have to fight him again in the Wily stages). Nothing else has been tooo bad. Black Hole Bomb, Jewel Satellite, and Tornado Blow are godsends (although the latter is of course highly limited); Plug Ball is better than I thought, too. Oh, and Tornado Man has the easiest stage. Funny given some of the hype here. <_<

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: October 13, 2008, 10:00:53 PM »
P3 - Note to self: the Chariot boss? Don't try it with two PCs. Goddamnit, I need Orpheus back for Cadenza.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: October 14, 2008, 01:09:20 PM »
Ah so P3's where Snow has been hiding. Welcome to the club~

SMT Nocturne - About to head to Yoyogi park. Game is drawing to a close I think? I'm not entirely sure what my Reason is yet. I don't particularly like Hikawa but I do agree that stillness/serenity is nice so I said so >.> For the main part I've been trying to follow the path of the Maniquins though. The Mantra don't really interest me apart from Thor and I don't suppose I'll see him again unless I try to follow their reason? Boss refight in the Amala Network was different from the usual style since it was immune to Tornado. I discovered this and then lost painfully to it's Megidos. For the win used a different style than normal, Matador used Taunt, Unicorn used MT attack buff, main used War Cry, other support demon healed as needed. Once Taunt and War Cry were in play Forced up with Matador and main then had Matador use his special and the main Divine Shot. Rinse and repeat. Divine Shot is awesme - 1800~ at one point o_o Unicorn changed Media to Mediarama whilst in the Amala Network so yay~

Attempted some more of the Labyrinth of Amala, managed to find another Deathstone then was gameovered whilst in a cursed area -_-
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Taishyr

« Reply #3981 on: October 14, 2008, 03:22:41 PM »
Yoyogi Park... that's approximately 2/3 of the way through. You're still using Unicorn? Nice. What level are you at?

(Also, there should be a Fiend at one of the two entrances to Yoyogi Park now. She's tough; go in with powerful non-lightning mages.)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: October 14, 2008, 06:13:18 PM »
Ah so P3's where Snow has been hiding. Welcome to the club~

That and finally finishing my MD's pre-project essay. Now, I'll be the next couple days busy finishing up the documentation, touching up the text and biting my toenails out of tension.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: October 15, 2008, 04:21:06 AM »
P3 - Anyhow, close to the end of June. The game honestly sorta surprised me in that it's a lot more polished and interesting than the last experience with SMT I had. Main death = game over is still stupid, though (lalalala fighting some Shadows, CRITICAL OHKOS MINATO lol goodbye. Fuck you). On the other hand, the adjustments to the system give you a far greater deal of control over the flow of battles: you have a lot of control over who gets the initiative, you can see the order of the entire turn before it goes off, you generally have more options in battle and the changes to the elemental weakness system give you more overall flexibility as well. Analyzing enemies no longer fails at life, and the game doesn't punish you unnecessarily for nailing immunities, which is good. The ally AI is pretty solid, too. Granted, I wish levels went by faster in this game, since this makes the underpowered typical SMT romp even more boring to deal with.

On the other hand, the school sim aspect is pretty fun. I like the interactions and the overall system, and there's generally a fair amount of stuff to do. It's kinda fun.

Holding off on further analysis for the moment, but it's not bad as of now.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 04:27:53 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: October 15, 2008, 09:26:59 AM »
Etrian Odyssey 2: 5th Floor, Gotta deal with Chimera, which means I need some cash and some experience. The Cryslis (>_>) team continues to own shit hard.

Baldur's Gate 2: Cleared Spellhold without issues and am now in the Underdark. Good times!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: October 15, 2008, 09:28:16 AM »
WoW - New big patch!  There is so much potential to examine!  So much maths to read.  I REQUIRE SPREADSHEETS.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: October 15, 2008, 10:26:03 AM »
BvS - Doing a sannin run two days from now to get it out of the way now as I want the awesome pants but I'll need Mr Tea for the run.
Finished burgerninja and the trade so I'm doing the wasteland for now. Got a Wasteland Dustcloak, Wasteland Scythe and a Wasteland Pistol already but the Desert Shades are going to be a problem.
Also GoodBoy's mission refuses to show up.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: October 15, 2008, 04:24:03 PM »
BvS - I finally got around to completing Irwin's run of Wasteland without using FoA (thank you MOMEs), so he still has ~164K Ryo.  Jack and Wil are still putzing around in S2 (just trying to collect Rune sets), and Irwin just joined them - all he has left to do is get Tote this season.  Jack's in the most danger of being looplocked, though, so I'll have to do a top 3 run with him soon.

I think my luck finally said, "OK, you've had enough," when I was given a Polar Star on one of my characters by the Kage.  Did I mention that the character that's the leader of Godaiyou has a new player?  I work hand-in-hand with him, too...

Also, Roazlia, when are you coming to Champions?  I'm getting a little desperate as to if we'll ever go anywhere.  Wil has enough Rep points to get the Duelist's Aura IF a village has Pilot Training, but we can't even entice...

WA3 - So I realized my cry-worthy event last night wasn't really that cry-worthy.  Made up all the lost progress in record time and then some.  I got 32 Growth Eggs now (I started with four), but now I'm gonna have to farm Mini Carrots and Full Carrots like crazy.  I'm getting too low for my own good.

Ginny's ARM is fully twinked and I'm currently working on Clive's; those SHT upgrades are EXPENSIVE (though a constant supply of Earth Rings to sell make it a LITTLE more bearable).  Medium set-up (for grinding these items) is as follows:

Ginny:  Terra Roar, Gale Claw, Flash Hit
Jet:  Screwed
Gallows:  Aqua Wisp, Moon Spark, Lucky Hand
Clive:  Firey Rage

Usually, the strategy's all about having Jet and Clive carrot up Gallows, while Gallows goes with Feeble Mind and Ginny uses Spectre to get the Captors into low HP ranges (like less than 100)...  I probably could switch out Flash Hit for Firey Rage, though.  Also, I got the Goddess Idol.  I thought I could be clever and get Raftina now, but...  I got to the shrine and realized I needed the Radical Sneakers first.  Boo.  Sandcraft's almost fully upgraded, at least.  Only needs another...  50 Dragon Fossils?

I wonder, is the maximum MTC 99 or 999?

I do believe that Meep described me almost the best when it came to my play style, followed by someone (was it Grefter or CK in IRC?) calling me an obsessive-compulsive type of gamebreaker.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 04:29:12 PM by Magic Fanatic »

Bardiche

« Reply #3988 on: October 15, 2008, 05:13:48 PM »
Persona 2 Tsumi full English patch released!

So I just started playing Metal Max Returns again, right? For some reason the fights range from ridiculously easy (tanks) to ridiculously annoying (on foot). There has to be some way to success that I ain't seeing.

I only have three people now... My main character, the great Chris, then Mechanic Laus and Soldier Claire. Using a tank, a jeep and an ambulance, complete with flamethrowers etcetera. Chris wields that blade you can throw, Laus has MT Flamethrower and Claire has ST Flamethrower (which deals more damage!)

Been thinking on how these guys'd fit into the RPGDL... And then realized they really don't have -any- plot equipment rights (well, their starter gear...), and are heavily equipment reliant to actually perform in battle. Give 'em tank cheese? Tanks are fully customizable. Oh well. It's a fun game nonetheless.

Anyone else ever played it? Any hints for me? :(

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: October 15, 2008, 05:45:31 PM »
Etrian Odyssey 2: 5th Floor, Gotta deal with Chimera, which means I need some cash and some experience. The Cryslis (>_>) team continues to own shit hard

As well they should. ::Nod::

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3990 on: October 15, 2008, 06:04:46 PM »
So I just started playing Metal Max Returns again, right? For some reason the fights range from ridiculously easy (tanks) to ridiculously annoying (on foot). There has to be some way to success that I ain't seeing.

I only have three people now... My main character, the great Chris, then Mechanic Laus and Soldier Claire. Using a tank, a jeep and an ambulance, complete with flamethrowers etcetera. Chris wields that blade you can throw, Laus has MT Flamethrower and Claire has ST Flamethrower (which deals more damage!)

Been thinking on how these guys'd fit into the RPGDL... And then realized they really don't have -any- plot equipment rights (well, their starter gear...), and are heavily equipment reliant to actually perform in battle. Give 'em tank cheese? Tanks are fully customizable. Oh well. It's a fun game nonetheless.

Anyone else ever played it? Any hints for me? :(

This is in English?  I am interested.  I've only played Metal Saga in the series though.

Taishyr

« Reply #3991 on: October 15, 2008, 06:12:21 PM »
Persona 2 Tsumi full English patch released!

Well.

I guess I know what I'm doing after classes 'n such.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: October 15, 2008, 06:33:19 PM »
Magic: Gale Claw is a waste on Virginia.  Its better used on Gallows so he can go before some enemies, Jet so he always acts after Virginia (thus before enemies making him a good item boy), or even Clive if only for the sake of Counter.

Anyway...

Sonic Plot: 4 Emeralds Down, working on the 5th!  This is definitely one of the faster moving Zelda Axioms I've seen, and not as painful as I was expecting.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: October 15, 2008, 07:28:37 PM »
Grefter, keep me posted on what you think of the new patch. I'm digging the new talents and the smoot energy regeneration thus far.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #3994 on: October 15, 2008, 07:34:43 PM »
Well, that's what I did as well. I have to say the following:

Holy shit I, a Tankadin, can solo effectively now. Holy fucking shit.

Achievements are possibly the best thing in this patch. It staves off Expansion Ennui very neatly by giving me a million things to do, as opposed to 2.0, where they gave us new talents, we ran a few 5-mans, and then sat around farming stuff. I found out I was missing tiny little spots all over my map of Kalimdor, and fixed THAT problem last night.

Varian Wrynn is awesome and all, but I miss the Highlord. He's my favorite character in WoW.

I no longer have to stack spell damage. I can effectively deal white damage. Shield blocking is actually worthwhile for me now. This is all amazing.

Ret Paladins and Arms Warriors should enjoy it while it lasts, because the nerf hammer is going to fall hard on them. We ran a kara yesterday and a fail-tastic Ret Paladin jumped from #6 on the DPS (just above me) a couple weeks ago to #2. Our experienced Ret Paladin had his DPS go up by about 500 or so, from #3 to #1. And Arms? With the right setup on Beta, they're doing eight or nine thousand DPS in Naxxramas. They usually outDPS the number two and three guys put together.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 07:36:47 PM by Rob the Stampede »

Unoriginal

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: October 15, 2008, 07:49:49 PM »
Yes, the achievements do help a great deal.  Mostly working on exploring for now, but I'm also slowly chipping away at Loremaster while I'm at it.  And good Lord, mages got a lot better.  <3 Fire.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #3996 on: October 15, 2008, 08:01:22 PM »
Meh, I'm probably never going to get Loremaster. I really, really dislike Kalimdor.

Unoriginal

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: October 15, 2008, 08:09:09 PM »
I'll probably get bored and stop at some point, but it's something to work on, at least.

Idun

« Reply #3998 on: October 15, 2008, 09:12:07 PM »
Someone convince me to play FFXII. Convince me that concluding games alleviates backlog and consciousness. Tell me that, once I finish FFXII, the world will be all right. . .

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: October 15, 2008, 09:29:33 PM »
Someone convince me to play FFXII. Convince me that concluding games alleviates backlog and consciousness. Tell me that, once I finish FFXII, the world will be all right. . .

Once you finish FFXII, you'll never have to touch it again.  Ever.  And thus, the world will be all right.