Register

Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 464305 times)

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #400 on: January 18, 2008, 09:36:51 PM »
Sounds to me like you really, really need Mediarama.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Pyro

« Reply #401 on: January 19, 2008, 02:22:01 AM »
ToPr: I don't really like the game too much, honestly. Every random boils down to smiting them with Arche's spells (now Klarth too with Luna I guess) while Cless holds them off. Bosses are a joke. THe plot is the exact same as the SNES version with only a few minor touch-ups... I might play it, but it just doesn't hold me. The lack of difficulty makes it worse than the SNES version in a way, in addition to the whole emulated on a piece of crap PC... Which I suppose I can't really fault it for.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 19, 2008, 02:43:18 AM »
OS-On the Epilogue. Ah, fairies. Is there any game where you aren't incredibly annoying? Mercedes was pretty easy. I'm guessing this means the final boss is going to be complete hell. Idly, resources don't carry over, do they? So I can use all my shit without consequence on the final boss, right?

On another note, I was idly checking a FAQ and noticed that their suggested HP level for the finale was roughly 10 or so levels higher than mine. I'm at 16 right now. I would say that I'm underleveled, but, y'know, lol FAQ writers. Is he onto something or is that just a bunch of fruit harvesting?

Bravo, Oswald. Bravo.  ::)
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 19, 2008, 04:54:50 AM »
Items do carry over, Trips.  And yeah, your HP seems really low.  Not that it matters a great deal if you are good at the boss patterns.

Gate:  Try the Tarunda (attack down) and Marakukaja (party defense up) spells.  They will lower the Table's damage to manageable levels.  Ghastly Wail is unavoidable Instant Death to anyone suffering from Fear.

Pearl:  Doing some contests to get more ribbons for my shiny Parasect.  He's up to 34.

P3:  New Game+.  Beginning is kind of annoying because you don't have access to Compendium.  Enemies are getting smacked down by my giant Celtis axe.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 19, 2008, 05:57:13 AM »
Replayed RKS normal mode just for kicks. Decided to try out each girl's weapon on her during the boss rush, just to see if we had an MM2 Metal Man case here. Turns out that we do! Luste gets two-shotted by her own weapon. Ahahaha, fail. Oh, and Liebea is also weak to her own weapon, but not to such an extreme level. But it doesn't matter because her other weakness (Freudia) is cheap and rapid-fire.

PCB: Damnable Sage--I mean, Yuyuko.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: January 19, 2008, 07:28:37 AM »
Super Mario Galaxy - Just shy of 20 stars. Well, the game seems too easy except when I have to use the Wiimote controls, but it's a blast. Stage design is brilliant (something I've not said about Mario since at least SMB3), and exploring the world is a lot of fun. Definitely living up to the hype so far.

PW - Onto case 5! Got stuck in day 1 investigation and caught up in reading instead so I haven't played this that much. Not a knock on the game though.

Mega Man 5 - Three of us MM1/8 robot masters invaded this game and beat up the eight stages. Finally got Beat for the first time ever! Anyway, this game remains pretty cool. Not a stellar entry to the series, but certainly a solid one.

FE9 - This game is hot. Cleared the first three chapters. Oscar still rules. I'd almost forgotten how snappy the dialogue is in this game.

Yeah, only playing quality games for the forseeable future.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 19, 2008, 07:59:52 AM »
MM5: ...see Elfboy <_<

MMXCM: Just beat Dr. Psyche, back in Gaudille's Lab, grabbing the few items I missed, also got a Gatling Buster!  Having fun using that w/ Hawkeye (though damage isn't as high as you'd expect...obviously has some damage lowering per hit aspect to it.)

FE9: Just beat Chap 19, promoted Volke, etc.  Boss ate Triangle Attack.

Everyone in my main team is promoted but my two mages, go figure.  Tormod would be promoted except he joins under leveled, and Soren...meh.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 19, 2008, 08:05:27 AM »
ToPr: I don't really like the game too much, honestly. Every random boils down to smiting them with Arche's spells (now Klarth too with Luna I guess) while Cless holds them off. Bosses are a joke. THe plot is the exact same as the SNES version with only a few minor touch-ups... I might play it, but it just doesn't hold me. The lack of difficulty makes it worse than the SNES version in a way, in addition to the whole emulated on a piece of crap PC... Which I suppose I can't really fault it for.

You can turn on hard mode if you want diffuclty. Undine, Flamebelk and Origin are especially good fights.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 19, 2008, 03:36:45 PM »

You got to Yuyuko already? ^_^
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 19, 2008, 04:03:29 PM »
Yeah, only playing quality games for the forseeable future.

So I should be sending you Disgaea 2 and Persona 3, right?
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 19, 2008, 04:21:18 PM »
Well, the other part of my statement I neglected was "Not playing any new RPGs". I dunno, I just need a break from them I think, they don't interest me right now. I guess playing a new one every month or two for over half a decade wears one out eventually.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 19, 2008, 05:56:29 PM »
Not to mention how actually good new RPGs haven't been sent down in a damned while.

KH - SUBMIT!!11 Yeah, beaten. Did far more sidequesting than I expected to, but it was fun! Game seriously needed a kick in the ass for difficulty, though. Skillsets of broken+enemies that fail make the game Grandia. Still, lots and lots of fun. Adding the game to my complete list, probably still at the same rating it was before. Fun times.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 19, 2008, 07:12:32 PM »

You got to Yuyuko already? ^_^

With continues, yeah. I think I can get up to the musicians without needing them now. Their stage is hardcore, though, and Youmu is just >.<

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 19, 2008, 07:28:19 PM »
Stage 4 is essentially memorization. Practice run it a few times, learn the patterns of the randoms and you're unlikely to have too much trouble with it ever again. It is a really sizable difficulty jump, but memorization and attention will get you through. Also, bomb more. Always bomb more. Youmu... well. No real easy way around it, but at least she has two easy cards on Normal. Her first spellcard is solved by a shotgunned ReimuB focusbomb when she releases the first wave of purple and red bullets, right around her timestop. Bullet fields, you just have to trust your hitbox and remember that the blue petals are aimed at -you- and the red petals are aimed at your -sides-. If you want, I'll cook up a ReimuB normal rep so you can watch it.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 20, 2008, 12:25:00 AM »
OS-Gwen's book completed. Final boss wasn't too bad, massive slowdown nonwithstanding. Painkiller+Overload was a very nifty combo, pity I never tried it before.

Man, this game just fucking looooooooooves melodrama. "MY LOVE IS SHINING STAR OF LOVING...LOVE WE'LL BE TOGETHER FOR EVER OMG <3 <3 <3"

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 20, 2008, 12:54:50 AM »
DQMJ: On Celeste Isle, using a brownie/wax murderer/dragurn team. There's really not a lot here besides generally effective smashing unless I starting FAQing good combos or something, although I can make a few better things with wax murderer/wild boarfish...
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 20, 2008, 01:52:42 AM »
RKS:

Recleared it with Fate. The game's a lot easier the second time now that you know everything's pattern, it really does feel like one of those NES games you could replay and get awesome at. As for Rider, I cleared all the normal stages but said fuck it against the Wall. I may go back and screw with it later, but the fight irritates me.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 20, 2008, 06:24:21 AM »
DMC3: Still slowly going through this (despite how I'm enjoying it...why can't I get more into it?) Anyway, just got the Artemis, whatever mission that was in.

FE9: Chap 20 finished!  Soren and Tormod finally promoted, their levels should be fine now that they can heal and such.
Also, Mist now has a B in Swords, and I only needed one Arms Scroll!  Yay Sonic Sword! ^_^
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 20, 2008, 08:21:17 AM »
PCB: Reimu bad ending got. Yeah, it took me three continues to beat the game. But I didn't use any until Mouku, so at least I'm getting better.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 20, 2008, 08:23:36 AM »
http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=590

Here's that ReimuB Normal rep I promised, Cid.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: January 20, 2008, 09:43:11 AM »
PoDD:  Beat Lunatic using the boss chick.  Had to use a continue though.  Fuck her crosses that appear on top of you with no warning.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 20, 2008, 06:56:11 PM »
SM64DS: 149 stars, after a whole lot of searching, found a stupidly easy earlygame bonus level.  Also, most of the stupid bunny rabbits have been caught for all characters.  I'm suspicious that the final star is linked to getting all the damn rabbits.

AWDS: One of my new coworkers talked about his 400+ hours of this recently, and I still had some high-quality COs who hadn't hit level 9 (in case he wants to play with skills on).  Excal's little brother had also deleted my chapter 20 save file last time he played the game, (or is it 21?  The one with ridiculous amounts of exp because of all the blobs).  So I started playing through the regular campaign.  Sasha and Sonja were my first priority, though both of them were fairly high-level anyway.  Grit came next (and was S-ranking a mission where he was handed almost entirely direct units) though again he was fairly high-level anyway.  Then came Von-Bolt and Hachi, who were both reasonably low-levelled; their music sucks, so I don't use them that much.  I'm about 10 chapters in, and have been fairly consistently S-ranking, which is interesting because I have skills turned off and I'm not exactly using optimal COs (Von-Bolt in hard campaign is usually a poor-man's Kanbei, and Hachi's skills aren't that useful in maps that are both primarily pre-deployed, but also have a token base or two so it's not like you don't have unit production facilities.

TF2: Unsurprisingly been playing a fair bit of this.

Perhaps more surprising is what I haven't been playing (FFT; the whole burn through a quick playthrough idea came to a halt with the end of last weekend, and I've been distracted by other things ever since.  Also haven't played any Mario Galaxy in about a week).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 06:58:54 PM by metroid composite »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 20, 2008, 07:55:29 PM »
S4 - So far, it can be summed up by this:

[17:32] <SageAcrin> <Hello-Alice> Then, S4 sailing kicks in and the game suddenly turns into steering a drunken fridge in the middle of the ocean. <---Add "With random encounters every ten feet." and you've got the best description of S4 sailing I've ever heard.

FUCK YOU, S4 SAILING.

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 20, 2008, 08:03:25 PM »
Ys I and II Complete: Finished both last night.

Both were really simple and fluffy with good music and fast gameplay, mostly. Ys I is a 5/10, would be 6/10 but the trigger for accessing Darm Tower is stupid and takes a point off. Ys II is a 6.5/10, generally lacks Ys I's flaws but is still limited by the engine.

I'd elaborate more, but there's not much to say.

Except that Dalles is a hellishly ineffective minion.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 20, 2008, 09:39:51 PM »
SRWC 2-3 - Up to Scene 3.

The heck is the deal with them throwing a double-acting Regisaur at you at the end of scene 2. Fell somewhat easier than I expected but the pain of 2xOHKOs is painful. How fortunate that it kept attacking things that could dodge it.
(Also, what the HECK is the deal with Regisaurs in this series being so bizarrely dodgy? Something that big should not have 0%s against it by default even by the worst supers. Except Borot.).

Game has decided to throw away 2-2's levels that you can actually get through in reasonable amounts of turns for 2-1's ones that you can't. Consequently really not seeing getting the bonus level as possible. Also consequently only gotten one Focus so far, and several levels I've taken too long to get anything.

Hooray for getting to kill Guyzock for a change, even if it seems that it was actually something else.