Register

Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 464711 times)

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #4025 on: October 17, 2008, 06:09:39 AM »
It isn't so much the having things up so I can get data, I just want my fucking health and target info in the middle of the screen where I can reference them.  Went to X-Perl anyway and I will see how much I can put up with it.

What frames do you normally use? PitBull got updated yesterday.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: October 17, 2008, 08:37:17 AM »
ag_Unit Frames.  Pitbull's frames suck at scaling, they are pretty much exactly the same style though (I think it is a direct rip off pretty much with more just a general party use one where Pitbull is pretty much pure win for healers).

Quote from: People saying FE is shit
FE 10 is being crap, FE 7 & 8 were shit for the same reasons.  Let us revel in the shittiness of them

Yeah.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: October 17, 2008, 05:26:00 PM »
FE10: Oh wow its so hard this is so cool!

Not really. Not having fun with this one.

Its just... part of the fun I've had with FE in the past is raising units. With this, it feels like that's just kind of pointless right now. I can try different combos but ultimately its just "tanks up front, squishy things in back" that wins the day.

Uh, what? It's hardly pointless to raise units, nor is it anywhere near impossible. Heck, my first playthrough, I raised Fiona, who next to Lyre and possibly Astrid is the worst unit in the whole game. (She gets good eventually, though!)

Yes, you have to play more carefully than in other games. You can't expose a fragile character to three hits and watch them counter everything and profit. Personally I see this as a good thing, you have to form sounder strategies.

At the same time, that frail Dawn Brigade group is a lot of fun to play around with. I mean...

Micaiah is a terrific concept, combining someone very fragile with a ridiculous range-2 offence. You can mess with stuff like Wrath/Resolve to get her to one-round things (zomg customisation).
Edward is a rare unit who can actually double a decent number (not all) enemies if you can find strategies to get around the fact that he is 2HKOed and takes counters from everything.
Ilyana is a less extreme Micaiah so the same stuff applies (except she can't use Wrath). Of course she doesn't have the same offence so she's really not as interesting (or as good), but the option's nice. Or would be if she weren't a TRAP who takes all her Exp gained to a party that won't appreciate it.
Leonardo can take a bit more punishment than the mages and is a bit faster, in exchange for no melee counterattacks and lower mdur.
Meg is an interesting oddball tank, between critical immunity and a mix of both defences.
Laura feels like a response to people who think healers are overpowered or necessary: one-rounded by everything! Yet still certainly has a decent argument to be used.

I've already ranted about the fact that the game becomes easier if you bench some of this group, and it does. All of 'em (except perhaps Micaiah who is weird) are clearly subpar units at this point, yes. Much like Eliwood/Rebecca/Erk were in 7, or Ike/Boyd/Soren were in 9. This game just makes you care about, and strategise around that fact.

So speaking of which, FE10 - Up to 2-2. I actually beat Part 1 with no resets. I probably should have had one on 1-5 and 1-E, but the enemy acted in a (stupider) way than I expected, so it's all good. 1-E was still a bitch despite using both super PCs and a stronger party. Speaking of the party, it was everyone minus Ilyana, Leonardo, Edward, Fiona, and the Tormod crew. Benched Laura for 1-8 since that one's tighter on space. Finally took a death in 2-2 (stupid fog chapter!), sadly.

MM9 - Final level always fucks up my Mr. Perfect runs.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 05:31:26 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: October 17, 2008, 06:31:07 PM »
Hey, I hated FE7's Lyn mode too, if it makes you feel any better. (not... that that was hard in any way shape or form). FE intros always bore me, with the possible exception of FE9 because I liked how the Greil mercs worked. Its not so hard that I can't play it or anything, I just feel restricted in trying out strategies I might find more enjoyable if less effective.

Oh well, chugging right along.

I managed to make a Sanaki that I could actually throw at enemies without her getting blown up when looked at funny, so I'd say there's ways to make weird strategies work.  Just takes more effort.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: October 17, 2008, 07:04:31 PM »
WoW - So yeah new patch made stuff super easy.  20 manned Gruul then on a high for how silly it was we went on to Hyjal for the first time ever.  After some sloppy Trash wipes and one close wipe we got Rage down, winning try we had 18 people.  Lots of fun though.  Looking to maybe to 25 man content again.

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: October 17, 2008, 07:28:53 PM »
Well, yeah, all the raid bosses have 30% less HP. Thus you can get by on 30% less people.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: October 17, 2008, 07:34:36 PM »
This was a bit less than just 30% less people, it was people mostly on alts, an all green brand new to 70 alt Shaman and all that.  This is still nothing more than a testament to how much the content has been nerfed.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: October 17, 2008, 08:20:30 PM »
WA3 - A testament to obsessive-compulsive game breaking.

Virginia - L37 - MTC = 20 - Terra Roar, Flash Hit
Jet - L37 - MTC = 10 - Gale Claw
Gallows - L37 - MTC = 50 - Aqua Wisp, Moon Spark, Lucky Hand
Clive - L37 - MTC = 10 - Firey Rage

Gella > 300,000.
EX File Key get (for maxing out all the Secret Garden plant breeding).
Everyone immunes Earth damage thanks to Earth Ward PS skills (three of them from equipped Earth Rings).
By the way, Earth Ring count is in the 90's...  Again.  I'm gonna have to sell more.  Just 220 more Growth Eggs to go, though (I have 90 in my inventory)!

BvS - Irwin got Anon L2.  Wil's just putzing around in the end of S2.  Jack hit a loop cap, and is making a desperate attempt at another top 3 run.  If I make top, I loop that day.  If I make top 3, I puts around in Wasteland some more looking for more runes.  If I fail top 3...  Well, there's always next week.

Illusion of Gaia - I almost got unlazy and processed the videos of the Pyramid...  Then I failed to upload them.  Way to go, me.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: October 18, 2008, 01:30:22 AM »
Sonic RPG: Completed! Fun game and all.

Note: Given the nature of how much people "care" about this game's plot, I will reveal minor spoilers and such...if they can be called that >.>

Now a rant cause, well, YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN IT COMING!

-Plot is actually not as bad as SONIC PLOT!!! would imply.  It owns Sonic 2k6! ...not that this says a lot, but at least it means we don't have any SonicxSome Princess Whose Into Furries action...actually, we don't get any SonicxAnyone situations, which is a good thing!  Plot is basically evil invaders from another dimension come, **** happens, Chaos Emeralds stolen, Sonic and Co. need to deal with it.  Tries to add some interesting back story to the Sonicverse, but you know, its the Sonicverse; YOU DON'T CARE.  The plot is really just pure fluff and doesn't try to pretend to be anything else, it mostly tries to make witty dialog and facial interactions and lets you control some of it by controlling all of Sonic's reactions.

...yeah, the end result is the plot is inoffensive, but you may as well ignore it barring telling you what you're suppose to do next <.<

-Game is rather well polished.  The only thing I'd have liked is for it to explain how Damage Values work; it tells you tiers of Attack and Defense, and how much your equips are raising them by through terms like "Slight" and such, but doesn't tell you what they mean, thus you aren't sure quite how much a difference they make.  Beyond that?  Tells you exact multipliers on techs, the exact status rates, how much healing items do and such; its pretty good at actually telling you stuff.  Even tells you your PC turn order at the beginning of each round to let you know what order you're doing stuff in!

-Speaking of which, of all things, I think Sonic RPG made the best use of Standard Turn Based System.  Yes, that's right; the RPG based off a platforming series probably has the best use of that style.  Its mostly cause the multi Turn thing; it lets speed matter more for the characters who actually get multiple turns (...and Shadow and Sonic who are the triple actors just HAPPEN to have game best speed go figure...), since now Sonic can get 2 turns before some characters get their first, for example, allowing for a pseudo Double Turning feature.  Combo attacks are a nice way to encourage using certain characters, as combo attacks can help cover many flaws.

-The difficulty, however, is a bit lacking.  Admittedly, this is cause items are really damned broken.  They tried to compensate by making your PP Pools rather low, but you can get so much PP Healing its not even funny.

-Though, timed hits can make things interesting; I sometimes forgot they existed so I'd set characters to attack, turn my head for a bit and then realize a timed hit was going off and thus lose a fair bit offense/screw up a support move/take a lot of damage.  This is a fault of myself, not the game!  Timed Hits weren't too hard barring a few moves which I can understand why (Refresh is...pretty cruel; MT PP Healing and all that; its a self restoring POW move that works on the rest of the party! Yeah, Refresher Devices make it a bit worse, but the upshot is you need to spend less.)

-Game is nice at making quirk enemies, so you can't just select attack and sit back and watch.  Some enemies actually evade (some eventually gain counters through evasion, even parasitic healing!), some have ludicrous defense, others are just whores you want dead before they can do annoying stuff.  Its good at promoting using different kinds of attacks, and trying to mix up your PCs.

-PARTY SPLITS! The game wants you to use lots of PCs, and thus, party splits happen a few times with two forced PCs a team (Knuckles and Tails forced both times, go figure; Sonic is a given.)  This would be annoying...if the game didn't basically give every PC EXP you gain regardless if they're in your team or not; might be a little reduced, but hard to say; either way, it insures no PC can truly fall completely behind; the instant you put them in your team, they level up the number of times they'd have if they gained the EXP, which is nice.

-USEFUL DEFEND COMMAND! Defending restores PP, how much varies from character to character; its just nice to have a reason to use defend and some other useful free action besides attack (which has the added factor of risking counters.)

-MACH SPEED!!! Actually, a neat way to handle running away.  You don't innately fail or succeed, and the game tells you about being unable to run through "Trapped" indicators, and greying out the Flee option.  Anytime you flee, you're forced into Mach Speed; ditto to the enemies.  If the pursuers catch up to the escapees within the alotted time, the run fails, otherwise, success.  Now, you running is an obvious case of "faster than dealing with crap EXP enemies" or "You're in trouble, EMERGENCY!" etc.  Enemies running, however? Yeah, you lose rewards for the fight if they escape, but you can catch them.  However, its done in a way that you can still benefit even if they do run since there are rings scattered around, thus you can at least make SOME profit.  Not the most effecient way of getting money, but hey, better than nothing, no?

Now for thoughts on how PCs are...gameplay wise cause this is fucking SONIC PLOT which branches off to SONIC CHARACTERIZATION and I'd rather not talk about how they are plot wise <_<

Sonic the Hedgehog:
In Game: 3 Turns = Yay! Game Best speed (SHOCK!) means he pretty much always goes first, sometimes getting his second turn before other characters get their first (usually slower PCs.)  Axe Kick was decent ST damage and high mult to make up for his low base damage (which is partially made up by an extra action of course), though couldn't pierce which was annoying since he's forced, and Whirlwind...ok, it sucked cause its weak MT on a commonly resisted Element.  HOWEVER, he does have a boat load of unites which help make up for his flaws; Amy helps make his damage even better (and by contrast, helps her out too!), Knuckles and Shade give Sonic piercing damage off a nonfail Mult even, and Shadow makes him have actually nice MT damage off a not commonly resisted Element.  There were times I did want to remove him just so I could use a more varied team, but eh, he's solid enough, which is good for a forced PC.
IN THE DL? HE BEATS SHEDINJA! ...ok, more seriously, depends where his damage falls.  His good HP makes up for his low defense, his speed is game best, which is only compounded by his getting 3 turns to the average 2.  Axe Kick should be at least passable on damage, but...eh, hard to say.  Thinking Heavy cause even if he ends up 3HKOing, his speed can probably take him the rest of the way, giving him 3-2's on average against most opponents.

Amy Rose:
In Game: She starts off your powerhouse, since you're not using PP moves much given how much you lack PP, so her damage being free is really nice.  Slowly, she starts becoming less good in damage given her Mults on Low Blow kind of suck, though, Fastball unite with Sonic helps compensate for this some.  Blow Kiss is her money move, however; raising someone else's damage by 50% is pretty awesome, and gives her something to do against High Def enemies who require piercing damage.  Speed kind of sucks, but she gets two turns so in practice, she's a lot more viable than the One Turners.  Neat niche PC, in any event.
IN THE DL? Low Blow and Tantrum aren't much on damage, but at least they add status, Low Blow's status apparently increases damage by some amount, but unsure how Vulnerable works.  Tarot Draw can screw over Crit Whores or something, I guess, and Blow Kiss helps compensate for her low mults some, as does naturally high base damage, though no getting around low speed.  I guess some sort of Middle? Yeah, not someone who really translates.

Miles "Tails" Prower:
In Game: Support character...and he kind of sucks barring literally two moves.  Medi Bot is good once built since its a way to restore PP AND HP, and starts making up for itself.  Adrenaline is pretty awesome as well, letting him give anyone he wants an extra turn *AND* increasing their speed.  Especially nice when given to a PC who has Big Nasty damage but only one action and is slow...but its not like any of THOSE exist *rolls eyes*.  Otherwise, he can't really do much; he's too oriented around screwing over Mecs, and has some crappy status moves that just aren't practical in game.
IN THE DL? One hell of an annoying tanking game.  See, Hyper status from Adrenaline doesn't just boost his speed...it also makes his high evade EVEN BETTER, making him a whore to hit. This leads to an annoying tanking strategy, which compensates for his lack of damage; Flash Bang is also suddenly not useless one on one, since Distract helps the defensive game.  Damage sucks no matter how you slice it though; beating him basically requires getting past his defensive game, which has some holes in it.  Probably a shade of middle.

Rouge the Bat:
In Game: She...sucks.  She really lacks anything that stands out at all.  She can steal thus good for making money! And...that's about it.  Her Unites don't really help her out either, at least not enough.  Has some status moves like Tails, but they aren't practical either.  Frankly, she's probably LVP of the game all things considered.
IN THE DL? Light.  So very Light.  Crappy damage and no real way to make up for it like, say, Tails' Defensive game.  By crappy damage, I mean 2 tiers lower on damage than Amy, with a similar Mult, and no Vulnerable status option or Blow Kiss to help compensate some.  Well, at least you can't argue she doesn't translate accurately! <.<;

Big the Cat:
In Game: Defensive PC!!! ...in a game that clearly is more offensive oriented.  This game's battles are sort of like Wild ARMs 4, only less extreme; you win them in slug fests, not through clever strategies.  This is why pure status attacks often fail, and buffers that aren't related to offense (Tails' Adrenaline Rush and Amy's Blow Kiss) are just not worth it.  He's slow and has one action to boot, WINNING COMBO THERE! BUT HE RESTORES 3 PP UPON DEFEND!  His basic attack sucks cause his attack stat (aka accuracy) is low thus he has issues hitting things, he goes after like all enemies, his combos are lacking...really, his only decent move is Battering Ram which is pretty good ST damage.  But one action + slow + no real special aspects make for a crappy PC.
IN THE DL? He translates too well for his own good.  Bulldozer should be an easy 2HKO, and he has some defensive strategies that are suddenly useful one on one like massive Regen.  Grah, hate, etc.  Borderline Heavy, as I think the speed sinks him and he's an easy target to status.

Knuckles the Echidna:
In Game: He's Amy with more speed, but recovers less PP upon defending (1 a turn instead of 2), and trades in Blow Kiss for ITD...probably ends up about even.  Uppercut is a nice cheap ITD damage attack, and Quake Punch gives him some MT damage with Stun attached for some variety.  Has some good unites with Shadow to give him ACTUAL MT damage and with Sonic or Shade to give him actual Mults on his attack.  Solid enough PC overall.
IN THE DL? Doesn't really translate.  The "unites help cover his weaknesses" thing doesn't largely help when you're alone.  He's still got passable speed, and should 3HKO with Uppercut, and wanna say he's reasonable durable, but...yeah, too one dimensional.  Quake Punch helps some, I guess...but yeah, doesn't translate.  Probably some form of Middle, I guess, much like Amy.

Cream the Rabbit:
In Game: She's a Healer.  That's...really all I have to say.  Pain in the ass timed hits I guess, but she's still a healer.  Thankfully, she's GOOD at it.  All her abilities are MT and she can help with Item conservation.  Refresh = Hax, etc.  Admittedly preferred more offensive approaches as the game went on, but putting her in my team when I needed to use more than one didn't feel like a massive flaw.  One action hurts though...with MT support abilities like that, can you really blame them?  She is fast, though this felt like a bad thing at times since I often wanted her to go AFTER characters like Shade or Amy so they'd get PP healed instead of before, but guess you can't have everything.  Oh, and while her only damage move is her physical, its not melee, which was nice since it means counter whores can't counter her (and you'd think the Cat with the BIG FISHING LINE would be considered ranged, but NOPE! Also Melee -_-)
IN THE DL? A Pure Healer...well, she has some minor status but...uh, yeah, do I really need to explain how this translates? Pretty much text book Light in any event.

Shadow the Emo Angst Whore Hedgehog:
In Game: He's Sonic+.  Really, outside of lower HP, he's pretty much Sonic but better in like all ways.  His speed is lower on a pure numeric level only, cause he's so close in speed that it really doesn't matter (ie he acts before all enemies too.)  Well, ok, he lacks any MT damage since he gets Chaos Blast for a Blast attack (adjacent enemies take 50% damage), but it kind of sucks, and Chaos Spear while awesome on ST has a mild issue of not focusing if more than one enemy is there (its two hits, one hit goes after the guy you targeted, the other chooses a random enemy), but these are relatively minor issues.  Chaos Spear being Piercing helps so much, as does him having 3 turns.  Of course, that MT Damage Lacking thing is a nonissue most of the time given Sonic is forced for most of the game, and the two of them can use Atomic Strike for a damn nice MT attack; and one area where Sonic isn't forced, Knuckles is instead, and Knuckles Express works just as well (if not better in some cases since its not elemental.)  Yeah, he's...in running for MVP, frankly.
IN THE DL? He's got speed just slightly below Sonic, damage should be similar (lower mult, but higher base damage, and its ITD), and durability is probably equal (Higher Defense but lower HP.)  HOWEVER, he has one very important thing Sonic does not; Chaos Rift.  This normally useless move in game is really good in the DL.  Why? 60% chance of instant Death, which on failure, is 100% chance of distract (ie massive accuracy loss.)  Yeah, pretty clearly a Heavy considering he has all of Sonic's advantages and adds Instant Death to the list.

Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik:
In game: Uh, he's a temp, so usage of him is limited.  He's...pretty much all about nice MT damage from Barrage and that's about it.  He has an annoying as hell to pull off Unite with Tails that's just 100% ID to a single Robot...thankfully that's all you face when he's around, but still.  Yeah, not exactly a varied PC, but Barrage was nice enough to make him pull his weight...which is quite a lot.
IN THE DL? He sucks.  Lacks any real damage moves, he's got only one action and he's slowish.  No variety either.  Yeah, Light; he wants his Egg Carrier or whatever.

E-123 Omega:
In Game: Everything Big wishes he was.  His basic physical DOESN'T SUCK since he's got the HIGHEST BASE DAMAGE IN THE GAME, combined with GOOD unique equips meaning he doesn't have to actually worry about being screwed by other characters (see those two Cursed Gloves? They're awesome...but everyone wants them and there's only two.  OMega just laughs and uses the unique Cursed Claw which is equivalent but unique to him...and store bought <_<)  Oh, and his basic physical is ranged *AND* has Blast meaning he can hurt multiple enemies.  It doesn't end there though; he also has GOOD TECHS.  Laser Cannon is basically Chaos Spear but lacks the unfocus issue, and is off much higher base damage, Flamethrower is good MT damage; by that I mean it does more damage than Big's Froggy Rain even when resisted, and does nearly as much as Atomic Strike...which is a unite.   He's also durable having game best armor and good HP.  And Machine Gunner has O_o mults though kid of mrfs against high defense, but still a fun option if pulled off.  So what's his flaws? Slow and only one action, also only restores 1 PP a turn (worst rate in the game).  The fact that he's still really good despite this proves they succeeded a making a worthwhile tank character; its like they took lessons from Wild ARMs games or something!  He's also pretty much completely broken if paired with Tails since Adrenaline Rush is like the PERFECT ability on him; raises his speed *AND* gives him an extra turn? FUCK YES!
IN THE DL? Slow and one action = bad! But his damage should be pretty freaking sweet (might even OHKO?)  Laser Cannon is good for ITD back up since Machine Gunner kind of falls off dramatically if the enemy has good Defense; it should still 2HKO, to give you an idea, also adds Vulnerable status on top of that but...given he's only using it for ITD, its only really useful if he needs to get that OHKO desperately or something.  Also Flamethrower owns Shedinja!  But believe it or not, that's not ALL he has.  His big move? Temporal Field.  This adds Hyper Status (increases Speed and Evade significantly), which partially covers one of his flaws...but then decides to add Phasing Status.  Phasing Status can be summed up as "YOU CAN'T GET HIT, PERIOD.  EVADE IGNORING BE DAMNED."  Yes, the game distinguishes evade ignoring, and there's even a 100% Evade status that enemies use (aptly called "Evading") which some techs get around and others do not (ie any Tech labelled "Can't Miss")  But Phasing takes it a step further and mocks those!  So yeah, its Invincibility, IOWs.  The end result is if Omega gets a turn, he can raise some hell.  Though, being slow and having only one turn to compound to that means I can't really see him getting out of Heavy, but he's still a nice fun one!

Shade the Nocturnus:
In Game: She's Sonic trading in speed and an extra action for better damage, basically.  She doesn't like high defense but...then again, the only forced PCs she'd be with (Sonic and Knuckles) both have a unite that happens to have Piercing, so that covers the problem some.  Blade Rush is a cruel  ST damage attack which also heals her, and her base damage isn't even that low (Same tier as Shadow's.)  Original character and all that, but still a decent one nonetheless.
IN THE DL? Pretty much a text book Heavy.  If she doesn't 2HKO, I'd be very shocked.  She's a bit on the slow side, but parasitic healing on her damage helps make up for it some.  She also has Hyper for an Evasion and Speed Buffer, which FURTHER offsets it.  Uh, yeah, like I said, Text Book Heavy.

So yeah, that's my rant!  Game is getting probably a 7/10.  Its fluff, but its enjoyable enough and what not.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 04:06:52 AM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: October 18, 2008, 02:27:11 AM »
P3 - My adventures with Sleeping Table!

[22:19] <Hello-Prescott> So.
[22:19] <Hello-Prescott> Sleeping Table.
[22:19] <aughcold> Snores.
[22:19] <Yune> zzzzzzzzzzzz
[22:20] <Hello-Prescott> Yeah, but I mean the P3 one.
[22:20] <Hello-Prescott> So, it sorta just loved to ram Maragidynes into the Magic Mirrors.
[22:20] <Hello-Prescott> I didn't see Megidola!
[22:20] <Nitori> I KNEW IT
[22:21] <Nitori> SNOW WOULD MOCK THE TABLE

So, um, yeah. Thanks for the heads up on Magic Mirrors, Xer, they saved my ass in that fight. >_>
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4035 on: October 18, 2008, 02:49:13 AM »
Magic Mirrors? WEAK!

IWBTG-Finished, FINALLY. 7ish hours ~2000 deaths on record, probably 3000 or so overall.

What can I say? The game is designed from the ground up to bring back every bad thing in game design as a fond homage. And it works, too some extent. Frequent save points keep things from being to irritating. The random deaths were amusing (YOU JUMPED INTO A SWORD, YOU RETARD) and the pure dickishness of some of them (the error message) was delightful. All the same, once you get down to it, the game is basically nothing but Trial and Error gameplay and rote memorization. I enjoyed it, for the most part, but I can't really say it's a good game.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: October 18, 2008, 04:54:18 AM »
WO2:  Got all the Treasures from Wu (yay for Wu 2 being tempermental as hell, and Wu 5 not working if you sequence break), and got all Abilities from the Wu characters.  Also did some 4th weapon farming.  Chaos mode = ridiculous drop rates.

BvS:  Wrapping up Wasteland.  Just need a few more furs for some boots and I'll do the final mission.  Spent the day farming runes.  In one day, I got 24 Ash-covered Runes (Spice and Wolf Team, Sight Beyond Sight abuse).  All 24 were Worthless Runes.  Sigh.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: October 18, 2008, 05:17:07 AM »
Persona 2: Innocent Sin - And so, our heroic mime and his band of troublemakers saved the Hirasaka district from being bombed by an idiot with a cosplay fetish.

Also, Professor Ideal (damned if I can remember what her real name is) is crazy.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: October 18, 2008, 05:36:29 AM »
BvS- Got second in the Friday night fight which had 65 people. Not bad as I only had two powers but that still doen't make me happy losing in the final. Runner up is a sad place to be.

Pyro

« Reply #4039 on: October 18, 2008, 04:39:28 PM »
FE10: Part 1 finished.

Honestly, the game just feels weird. I liked things throwing Resolve on Micaiah and watching the nukes fly around. I didn't like the fact that all but 5 of my units couldn't go toe to toe with a single enemy unit but I had 3 that crushed them like bugs. There isn't any semblance of... balance. Using the more powerful units didn't get me as much exp but I prefer to reset as few times as possible. Oh well, I guess I'm just dense and suck at FE. I don't even care.

Plotwise the game is decent enough. I'd have preferred a lot more info scenes to flesh out the characters though. Micaiah's generally likable if not exactly inspiring. Sothe is better than I expected but feels pretty 1 dimensional. Everyone else is varying shades of meh. Graphically the game is actually a bit ugly, but I think that is just my TV... I really, really, really need to work on that. Edit: Yep, it was my TV settings. Glad I fixed that before I beat the game, at least. Wish I had bothered to do it sooner (its not like you play FE for eye candy though).

Hopefully I'll find part 2 a little up my alley.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 04:52:29 PM by Cryo »

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: October 18, 2008, 06:03:17 PM »
P3 FES: The Answer
Beat. Was... interesting, on the whole. Plot wasn't bad, wrapped things together well. Some characters seemed a little more off than others, but the point is Junpei was awesome. Speaking of which...

Party for the whole game, once I had access to it, was Metis/Junpei/Akihiko. Covered every element except ID between them, never needed anyone else. Torn between Metis and Junpei for MVP. Orgia mode is amazing, with the free abilities and the damage boosting and the status immunity. It's death for randoms and solid for the late bosses when she'll gets ID'd or something anyway, so the overheat doesn't matter. Add to that the versatility of two elements + physical techs is quality: getting Brave Blade instead of stupid lame Gigantic Fist late is icing. Junpei starting with Spring of Life is a wrecking machine, and him not being underleveled due to being with the party the whole time (As opposed to the Journey where he's extremely benchable before it) makes him shine. Akihiko with Indra Bracers filled the magic damage gap, Fist Master is better than any physical tech he could have, and

As opposed to the Journey, I found myself using Aigis to play Support and healing more than trying to be the Swiss army knife that ended fights turn one. Lategame with Die for Me! and Vorpal Blade from Siegfried I was a random killer, but for the most part I stood back and spammed Divine Grace Mediarama, with ma-kajas in between.

As for bosses, I had more trouble with the 3 pre-final fights (Which I thought were generally badass) than the Frue Final. One Game over there from Fear hitting Aigis and Akihiko, them both freezing, and double Almighty Attack crits. Wasn't that impresed in game, but and interesting rank (If we ever were drunk enough to rank FES)- Durable, good immunities, some status and damage of all flavors- and if he forces you to heal too much Primal Darkness comes out. Probably still can't break High Heavy- lacks a good trick.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: October 18, 2008, 08:58:55 PM »
Party for the whole game, once I had access to it, was Metis/Junpei/Akihiko. Covered every element except ID between them, never needed anyone else. Torn between Metis and Junpei for MVP. Orgia mode is amazing, with the free abilities and the damage boosting and the status immunity. It's death for randoms and solid for the late bosses when she'll gets ID'd or something anyway, so the overheat doesn't matter. Add to that the versatility of two elements + physical techs is quality: getting Brave Blade instead of stupid lame Gigantic Fist late is icing. Junpei starting with Spring of Life is a wrecking machine, and him not being underleveled due to being with the party the whole time (As opposed to the Journey where he's extremely benchable before it) makes him shine. Akihiko with Indra Bracers filled the magic damage gap, Fist Master is better than any physical tech he could have, and

Eh, I didn't find overheating to be a problem because then the enemy would just OHKO Metis, I would tell Metis to go into Orgia mode, and either I or Yukari would revive her and not much time was loss.  It's actually a solid suicide strategy!

Oh, and Metis gets Akasha Arts at level 75.  Don't know if you got that high, it's probably possible to beat it at lower level since the final isn't that hard.

As opposed to the Journey, I found myself using Aigis to play Support and healing more than trying to be the Swiss army knife that ended fights turn one. Lategame with Die for Me! and Vorpal Blade from Siegfried I was a random killer, but for the most part I stood back and spammed Divine Grace Mediarama, with ma-kajas in between.

I played support for bosses as well, since Metis was shelling out enough damage.  Mostly spamming buffs and the like, though heals later on when Yukari started using WIND BREAK!!1

As for bosses, I had more trouble with the 3 pre-final fights (Which I thought were generally badass) than the Frue Final. One Game over there from Fear hitting Aigis and Akihiko, them both freezing, and double Almighty Attack crits. Wasn't that impresed in game, but and interesting rank (If we ever were drunk enough to rank FES)- Durable, good immunities, some status and damage of all flavors- and if he forces you to heal too much Primal Darkness comes out. Probably still can't break High Heavy- lacks a good trick.

1) It only immunes Light/Dark, unless you mean status, which is fair (since it immunes EVERYTHING including knock down).
2) Status can only be used after Dark Embrace, along with ID, gravity, and Almighty Attack.  He CANNOT use any of the damage spells with it up.  Which brings me to:
3) Dark Embrace is cancelled after taking 1250 damage, which is just above 1.5 rounds worth or so, and you get four rounds to do it.  During this time it can only spam status, ID, debuffs, and Almighty Attack which is like a 4-5HKO, so he's not likely to force heals out of you here.  Primal Darkness isn't even an OHKO anyways so most people could just tank it if needed.  It's actually a pretty worthless move and he only wants to use it against the likes of Mint or to get access to the status/ID/debuffs, but it's risky.

Durability's good, as you said, something like 6x PCHP by normal scaling (i'd view it less, but yeah), and it does get a high 2HKO of all magic elements at half HP, and he can debuff defense enough for it to OHKO (though it's risky).  Probably even makes Godlike just on that, though not a great one since he's slow.

Also, I agree with the three pre-final fights being badass.  Probably the most enjoyable experience in the whole game, including The Journey.  And they have amazing music too.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: October 19, 2008, 12:13:36 AM »
Dumb question for the BvS players. How do I figure out what my current Daily XP is?

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: October 19, 2008, 12:56:10 AM »
Look under Jutsu XP.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: October 19, 2008, 01:43:12 AM »
Going for a Sannin Run?  If you've been spending some time in the Arena, there's a (relatively) cheap item that gives you +15% to your XP ranking.

Also, make sure you get 10 Arena wins in one day before you loop.  15 would be better, but 10 is hard enough for Season 1.  That's the one thing I regret not doing in Season 1 before looping.  Pretty much everything else can wait until you loop, because everything is much easier when you have access to Themes.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: October 19, 2008, 02:03:26 AM »
So far I have to say. 10 is impossible. I have 0. >_>

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: October 19, 2008, 02:55:02 AM »
Bah, I don't spend any time at all in the arena and I do fine.  I know there's stuff in there that's useful, but frankly, rock paper scissors games are even more boring over the internet. <_<

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: October 19, 2008, 03:00:34 AM »
Persona 2: Innocent Sin-Started this. I'm running around in the school level-grinding for no other reason than to finish maxing out Tatsuya's starting Persona. It's...Eternal Punishment, basically. Also, I never noticed it before but the school environments in every Persona game look exactly the fucking same. What's the deal with that? I'd play more, but my computer overheated. I guess a PSX game is too much to handle or something.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Pyro

« Reply #4048 on: October 19, 2008, 03:11:25 AM »
Up to 2-3.

Astrid... WHAT THE HELL DID THEY DO TO YOU?

Seriously, I want names and addresses for this offense. And a spoon.

Anyway. Still not having fun with the reset-fest, but it has Marcia so whatever.

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: October 19, 2008, 04:09:37 AM »
Answer related discussion

I did get Akasha Arts- with Tarukaja, in Orgia Mode crit on the third pre-final fight. knocked both opponents below half HP on about round 2. It was pretty awesome. I don't think I particularly overleveled, But Trumpeter with Die For Me! and a Siegfried with Vorpal Blade/Arms Master and Cool Breeze made the last section's randoms cake.

For the final, I did mean knockdown immunity, which is very good in game, not so much in the DL. Full status immunity is also not super common in P3. I wasn't sure if Dark Embrace was a number of hits or a damage limit. Cool to know.

And yes, the music in those scenes was badass.