Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 465317 times)

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #4250 on: November 02, 2008, 08:19:18 AM »
DA: I get past the big gate to find that behind it is yet another big gate. Best friend shows to help of course and suggests one way to open the gate. CHOP DOWN THE WORLD TREE OH YEAH! Anyway he was kidding (Or were you suspect evil best friend?) but its a good idea if you make the guys behind the gate think they are.

Anyway old man pops out of the forest to punish us for saying such things and best friend even though being far stronger then everyone present (How did he lose to EDM anyway) decides I can have fun with the old man.
Anyway battle starts, old man uses Holy impact, 2HKO damage is go. Wait 2HKO damage that can't be right, not in this game. Flare blast MT 2HKO, wait that can't be! HOLY IMPACT, HOLY IMPACT, HOLY IMPACT, HOLY IMPACT, HOLY IMPACT *Dies*.

Old man gave me a gameover for the first time so I'll have to step up my game a little. Yeah anyway bosses are getting harder and better which is a good thing, but I already have a good idea on how to stop the old man. A fire ring will shut down Flare blast mostly while a couple of levels will bring Holy impact down to a 3HKO. After that it'll be easy.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: November 02, 2008, 12:29:17 PM »
SRWF/FF replay - finished.
It was a tad difficult to get my rhythm back after having had this on hold for so long (was only a couple chapters in to the FF portion), but pretty clean sailing in general once it returned. For the people interested in that sort of thing, I finished up on ~658 turns as opposed to my original play's ~949 turns (accounting for the fact that the turns for the final episode aren't saved).

Things that I got that hadn't before:
Mazinger Z Powered - Uh. It's not better in _any way_ to Mazinger Z in general. What am I missing here, or should they just have listed it as 'keep Z or get Kaiser' as opposed to 'get Z powered up or get Kaiser'. I also got Great Wheel Rocket Punch for it despite the fact I hadn't used it for some time before I started dumping money into it and I never ended up using it for the rest of the game either >_> so I can't really say how effective that would have been, although it looked decent enough on paper (albiet let down by MZ's horrific accuracy problems).

Sayla: Decent enough. This isn't really saying much since 90% of Gundam pilots are worth using in one way or another, except the likes of Kou and Bernie. I was using Chris at endgame~ (in the Methuss but still. She had resurrection.).

Painted Bilbine: OH BOY PALLETE SWAP TIME next (also, the requirements for this are stupidly inane and effectively require you to have Show feed on bonus EXP for 5, 6 episodes to fulfill as for the level required you're just getting 1 EXP off everything).

Didn't get Todd and so I got to get the Hyper Wryneck movie for what that's worth. Oh boy it was a feast for the eyes.

Char Custom Zaku II - Complete and utter failure. If it's better than a Zaku II at all (it starts off with several upgrades in everything and I wasn't about to upgrade a Zaku II to compare) it isn't by much. All it has is 12 move and ZOMG CHAR'S ZAKU value great just what we needed. Try giving us Char himself to use instead (and not ugly CCA char).

Sizzler Black: Can barely take a hit. Also Jung doesn't have strike or spirit and she really really wanted either of these (preferably both). But she did have the ability to only require 450 EXP per level! With around 7 episodes to go when you get her! She can go sit with Geoffrey now.
On the topic of Gunbuster, I actually used Gunbuster this time. Pretty nice in general, although you don't get anywhere near enough time with it.

GP-02: May be the first time I've managed to get my hands on this unit while it's still had the ability to nuke things. But it's so freakishly slow. I used it as one of my designated Scrub units for a short time but as my scrubs as a rule tended to not have doubleaction this didn't turn out well. When I threw Ple in it and it was still no use I dumped any worry about it and went back to just using the Incom MP Nu and Gabthley.

Gato: Never ended up using him as he never rotated into my scrub slots. Should've shown up earlier, Gato.

Haman: Never ended up using her either after the trouble I went through to get her. I was going to put her in the Methuss in the final episode but decided to leave Chris in it (re: resurrection). She's ugly anyway.

I ended up fully upgrading Dancougar. I will never understand what possessed them to put full-upgrade bonuses in a game where fully upgrading costs such a flagrant amount (not to mention that you don't even have the option to upgrade more than halfway for 75% of the game). Fun fun.

I guess I should get back to my SRWR replay now or something. For it being a supposedly better game, why does this fill me with mehness ._.

FF4 DS - played through:
I like what they've done with the place. But I can't really think of anything to say about it offhand.
Never ended up using any Augments so I'm not sure how well that system worked out, but none of them looked especially worthwhile anyway. Also not being able to take them off... I considered putting Twincast on Cecil and Kain, but decided that the hilarity wouldn't be worth it if I ever wanted to put it on some people more worthwhile.

Missing all the new stuff from FF4 Advance is kinda saddening too...

Idun

« Reply #4252 on: November 02, 2008, 01:24:57 PM »
Dear Jesus, kill me. I am officially playing WA4, because Final Fantasy XII has succeeded in pissing me off in every aspect of gameplay and grinding that I decided to put it down for a second. I have been stuck, in the fucking volcano called Calucion's Pass for like, a year and a half (that's when I stopped playing it). The God Bird Taliewren couldn't help me then, soo I stopped. Then. I used GAMEFAQs; I FUCKING HATE PUZZLES. I didn't know you had to jump on some gay ass poles and fucking drop down with a pot. Fuck that shit, god.

Anyways. I finally made it out. Went down the snowy path to only turn it off because I was sleepy.

Once I beat this, I'm going back to FF12. . . . .

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: November 02, 2008, 02:43:29 PM »
VP2: Still mucking around with this. Not motivated to start something new right now. Contemplating wacky party choices just because what the hell, it's VP2 and you can crush it like an egg with skills so whatever. Rufus + archer harem maybe? Flame Shot brigade ahoy? Arcana has Heal, so full archer party would be usable. Dunno. No I am not doing an all-mage party shut up go away.

Anyway, at Palace of the Venerated Dragon.

EDIT: Idunie, bitching about WA4 and FFXII in the same post makes me die a little inside.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: November 02, 2008, 02:53:44 PM »
Most unintentionally amusing thing I've read today:  Gay asspoles.

KoL:  Fucking DAMN IT stop giving me random clovers fucking shit.  Second Hardcore ascention in a row I fucked up unlocking Bad moon because I am fucking retarded and don't pay attention.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #4255 on: November 02, 2008, 08:17:20 PM »
EDIT: Idunie, bitching about WA4 and FFXII in the same post makes me die a little inside.

Cough fire emblem I'm not feeling like being subtle cough

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: November 02, 2008, 08:42:07 PM »
Non sequitur much?

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: November 02, 2008, 10:04:39 PM »
Yeah, that was pretty gratuitous even for Rob. (Did anyone mention FE there? I've never even played any of the damn games).

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4258 on: November 02, 2008, 10:52:29 PM »
Killer 7: Finished. Pure What The Crap in game form. Messed up in a deep and profound way. Still enjoyable, though bosses ranged from cake to controller tossing. Due to the game's mechanics, only had one game over, but some (CLOUDMAN!) took a bunch of tries.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: November 03, 2008, 02:20:42 AM »
All right, fuckheads, I'll fill in the blanks. I was expressing that the sensation is nothing new, for many of us die inside when someone bitches about certain games, in my case, Fire Emblem. If I wanted to spell out every single thing I was trying to convey every single time I'd write Final Fantasy scripts.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4260 on: November 03, 2008, 02:44:58 AM »
You die on the inside when somebody bitches about Fire Emblem? Damn dude you must really like that game.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: November 03, 2008, 02:52:14 AM »
Cause and effect is a little off there, Trips. Little off.

Anyway, Fallout 3. I just ransacked the Lincoln wing of the Smithsonian, and came out with something I didn't even know existed. Did you know that Abraham Lincoln made a lever-action repeater that fires .44 Magnum rounds and is more powerful than a mid-21st century vintage Chinese Assault Rifle? I didn't, but hell if I'm going to argue with this thing.

I also received a sweet Action Abe Lincoln action figure (NOT A DOLL) which I put in my house. If I could move the legs I would have him ride a tiny atom bomb.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: November 03, 2008, 03:02:16 AM »
I think you just missed Cid's original point completely, Rob.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: November 03, 2008, 03:07:53 AM »
All right, fuckheads, I'll fill in the blanks. I was expressing that the sensation is nothing new, for many of us die inside when someone bitches about certain games, in my case, Fire Emblem. If I wanted to spell out every single thing I was trying to convey every single time I'd write Final Fantasy scripts.

It's not even that. It's someone complaining about FFXII and then going "I guess I'll have to play WA4 instead argh the pain." Which is madness since, y'know, WA4 doesn't suck.

VP2: So, most of the gamebreaking skills are unlocked and a bunch of people learned Toughness before I even fought Ull. And I'm not even using it because Psychosoma+Double Edge is too much fun. Full archer party is pretty scary. CP caps out at ten, right? Argh, stupid artificial limitations. I want to smash the game even harder, damn you!

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: November 03, 2008, 04:09:00 AM »
Dead Space: Picked it up on a whim. Good so far. Pretty and fairly atmospheric. Manages to be dark without making it impossible to see most of the time. Strategic dismemberment is good times.

I will say, either the game spawns enemies right behind you (which I imagine is quite possible) or the necromorphs are stealthy mofos, because I will say, there have been quite a few times where I've been happily blasting away at the enemies, only to turn arou... OMG HOLY HELL WHERE THE FUCK DID THE TENTACLE BABY OF DOOM COME FROM?

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: November 03, 2008, 04:27:07 AM »
TotA: As expected, the kickass weapons broke this part of the game for me. Ended up beating Sync and Largo in less than a minute. Stopped before going into the Deo Pass.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: November 03, 2008, 04:52:26 AM »
Just something I find a little funny - in Halo 3 with other guys in the dorm, I got an Overkill - 4 kills in 4 seconds - when the other team only had 3 people.

Oh Halo 3 respawns, we love you so much.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Pyro

« Reply #4267 on: November 03, 2008, 06:04:04 AM »
Now go get a Berserker (banshees~)

Alternatively, kill two people as they respawn. Using a sniper rifle. And one shot.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: November 03, 2008, 07:06:06 AM »
Magna Carta: Just finished the Emon arc.  Hey, that place had almost decent music or something!

...55 hours and still no end in sight ;_;
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: November 03, 2008, 09:05:45 AM »
Just something I find a little funny - in Halo 3 with other guys in the dorm, I got an Overkill - 4 kills in 4 seconds - when the other team only had 3 people.

Oh Halo 3 respawns, we love you so much.

This seems vaguely familiar.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: November 03, 2008, 09:31:25 AM »
EDIT: no
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 12:18:50 AM by Ciato »

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: November 03, 2008, 09:35:29 AM »
Um, didn't I throw a PM at you asking to not post spoilers Niu?

Edit: sorry, was a bit too harsh, but still. Dude, what the hell.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 09:43:06 AM by Xeroma »

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: November 03, 2008, 10:18:32 AM »
Edit: NO!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 12:18:37 AM by Ciato »

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: November 03, 2008, 10:47:33 AM »
Mrf. I suppose, it was just the principle of the thing that got me all riled. Sorry.

As far as VPDS goes, on the fourth map of chap 2 now. The boss here looks :<

[funny how the game has pathsplits, though. I will for simplicities sake say I picked the B route there as it was in the middle of the three options I had at the end of C1]

And on an unrelated note...

Fallout - Just started, got up to the Shady Sands. On the way there, I got two random encounters, and one of them was a tipped over truck with 2990someodd bottlecaps. Oooookay. The other was just a random filler bit with no enemies too.

Too early to have an opinion either way currently.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 10:49:14 AM by Xeroma »

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: November 03, 2008, 06:33:05 PM »
Man, what the fuck.  Come on.  Seriously.  6-7 fucking years and you haven't fucking learned?  I like you, Niu, but jesus titty fucking christ.

How about this.  Any time you say anything about a game DLers might play but isn't out yet or isn't well played yet?  Shut the fuck up.  Or Spoiler code it.  Or just shut the fuck up.

And no, none of this "IT'S OBVIOUS IF YOU PLAYED THE GAME."  We haven't.  That's why it's a fucking spoiler.