Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 464273 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #4450 on: November 14, 2008, 06:10:17 AM »
I rarely give up on games; SRW1 was a special case cause of Mathematical impossibilities in my case.  No, I am not going to replay the game just to attempt Sage's strategy; I've played 70% of the game, that's enough for me!

Anyway...

KH2: Finally got back to this replay, just beat Port Royal return, and did Under the Sea.  Should be able to blitz the rest of this game, since its really fast and such...but that'll have to wait til after the weekend!

Magna Carta: Is Magna Carta.

FF3 DS: Got back to this replay, just beat Garuda.  Slaughtered half my team, then died on turn 2 thanks to Scholar item hax and such.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #4451 on: November 14, 2008, 08:56:07 AM »
Wait, you need ALL good endings to get the final chapter?  I thought you only needed one.  Well, good to know, I guess.  Thanks for the info on how to get them because I had absolutely no clue and there are no FAQs yet.  >.>

Is there anything that I might easily miss capturing?  Want to make sure I don't miss anything if they're that picky.

Also, are all the stories completely separate?  I ask for stat topic reasons, since it seems like I might have to get stats for the end of each story.

Also, is Thage's Negate (looks like it immunes all magic) skill innate?  I'm trying to figure out where it came from but it doesn't look like any equipment has it, so I assume it's innate.

Magic immunity is innate yes, but she can still heal through parasitic healing.
As for story arcs, everyone has a different first tier, but the second and third tier are same for everyone. But the fake last boss despite being the same person for each route, has varying states and skill set.
And be careful with none gate guardian bosses, the attacks that can break their barriers aren't necessarily handed to you by default (so you have to rely on the Majin you have captured), and they retreat after a certain number of turns if you didn't break their barrier first.

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4452 on: November 14, 2008, 11:02:11 AM »
FFTA2: Remember how I said it seemed like they took the broken out?

Well, uh, ahahaha I was wrong. Go go getting endgame stuff in midgame + Seeq Rangers are broken fuckers. 400 ITD damage may very well end up a OHKO in the DL.

Seeq Rangers are broken? Yeah, that is fairly understatement.

As for getting endgame stuff early, well... Those are the perks of auctions. Which are awesome. Go go 110+ speed Illusionist <3 Twinkage in FFTA2 is broken fun.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Taishyr

« Reply #4453 on: November 14, 2008, 11:53:20 AM »
FFTA2: THEY JUST HANDED ME THE FALLEN ANGEL.

I mean, seriously. Random event pops up, I go expecting a loot item, I get ONE OF THE BEST WEAPONS IN THE GAME.

I'm really not sure what to make of this. I wouldn't hold it against the game until the end just because it feels like auction abuse was meant for endgame, buuuuut...

Also, Bangaa really got improved (one of the better support races now thanks to Cannoneer alone, and one of the best physical races due to Master Monk), Nu Mou got a bit worse (not having max MP at the start), Moogles feel less useful (though free Quicken's still broken), Humans look to be twinkbait, Viera are generally awesome, Seeq Rangers are broked but otherwise they're unimpressive thus far, and I haven't gotten a Gria yet.

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4454 on: November 14, 2008, 12:19:16 PM »
FFTA2: THEY JUST HANDED ME THE FALLEN ANGEL.

I mean, seriously. Random event pops up, I go expecting a loot item, I get ONE OF THE BEST WEAPONS IN THE GAME.

I'm really not sure what to make of this. I wouldn't hold it against the game until the end just because it feels like auction abuse was meant for endgame, buuuuut...

Also, Bangaa really got improved (one of the better support races now thanks to Cannoneer alone, and one of the best physical races due to Master Monk), Nu Mou got a bit worse (not having max MP at the start), Moogles feel less useful (though free Quicken's still broken), Humans look to be twinkbait, Viera are generally awesome, Seeq Rangers are broked but otherwise they're unimpressive thus far, and I haven't gotten a Gria yet.

Yes, Bangaa definitely had an improvement. My Bangaa somewhat of a speed demon tank now thanks to the Bangaa's capability to speed twink now with the advent of the Trickster class. Furthermore, cards have kick-ass range! And, actually, I never used Nu Mou, Moogles and Seeqs much if not at all, so I didn't get all the classes for those heh.

But definitely I agree that auction abuse was for end-game!
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4455 on: November 14, 2008, 06:06:55 PM »
And be careful with none gate guardian bosses, the attacks that can break their barriers aren't necessarily handed to you by default (so you have to rely on the Majin you have captured), and they retreat after a certain number of turns if you didn't break their barrier first.

Wait, the demon auras aren't just specific elements?  Because I can hit every element with my PCs right now.  Or is this something different?

---

Eternal POIZN - Second stratum, third map, middle route.  I got a game over the first time and then screwed up on capturing a majin the second time (forgot about pierce resistance DURRR), so now I have to try yet again.   Blarg.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4456 on: November 14, 2008, 07:15:29 PM »
BvS - Got chunks, birthday hat, creepy love letter and a fox rune today. I was surprised I got a fox rune from one of the runes of the fireworks. Just need the blueprints as have everything else.
Currently doing the christmas D ranks. I have two ornaments but currently the Ninja star mission hasn't even shown up. I hope it appears soon.

Oh yeah I'll teleport over to Champions tommorow for a few days to help out.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4457 on: November 15, 2008, 04:21:21 AM »
GTA4-144/200 pidgeons, 32/50 Unique Stunts. All random characters(so far) have been found. Turns out it wasn't as random as I had thought, you just have to circle around the right area a few times and they'll show up. Chose to let Dwayne Live, working on building up his like meter. The standup club is actually pretty funny, I can't believe they got Ricky Gervais to make up a few acts for the game like that. Started dating the lawyer chick you can find online, unlocked her secret ability. Being able to remove a Wanted rating up to 3 stars at any time is going to come very much in handy.

Story's been kind of hammering the 'life sucks' theme for awhile now. I can see why Yahtzee bashed GTA4 for being so depressing, because it really is.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #4458 on: November 15, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »

Wait, the demon auras aren't just specific elements?  Because I can hit every element with my PCs right now.  Or is this something different?

I don't remember the details. But the dragon and the death in the third tier are the ones who'll give you the problem.

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4459 on: November 15, 2008, 12:38:34 PM »
Yeah.  I hear you on the non-Gate-Guardian bosses' demon auras.  Ignis' required three people to break down (Needed to hit with all the physical types before it went down).  Also, only reason I was able to break Gergedeus' (I jumped over into the third path) was due to Yuri having learned Sacra II...
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4460 on: November 15, 2008, 05:29:26 PM »
BvS- Went over to champions village and got the HoClaus today. The Ninja mas star has just not been showing up though. I'm season 3 and have even put the crank up to 4 just in case that was the problem. I'm running general D-ranks and it hasn't shown yet.
I hope I get the mission soon because tommorow will be three days will filler active.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #4461 on: November 15, 2008, 09:23:18 PM »
WotLK- The Wrathgate event is still awesome. That is all.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #4462 on: November 16, 2008, 12:20:28 AM »
Yeah.  I hear you on the non-Gate-Guardian bosses' demon auras.  Ignis' required three people to break down (Needed to hit with all the physical types before it went down).  Also, only reason I was able to break Gergedeus' (I jumped over into the third path) was due to Yuri having learned Sacra II...

That reminds me, some bosses require you to use a specific type of captured majin to break the barrier.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4463 on: November 16, 2008, 12:46:28 AM »
Regarding FFTA2 Gria, their big selling point is ignoring height with movement. They're mostly physical, but I got one much later than the Seeq, so I didn't play much with them. I found Viera and Humes to be the races of choice again, personally.

Fallout 3: Beat, clocked in at 67~ hours. Endgame felt flat to me (mostly because I did pretty much every sidequest before even heading for Little Lamplight), and I was hoping for more of a presence with the Enclave. The ending was good enough, though I was hoping for a Fallout-esque view of how I affected the world rather than the BoS/FT style ending. I'd probably put the game at 8/10.

Castlevania: OoE - Beat *spoilers* mode. Good.

Sonic Chronicles - Next up on the DS docket. Up to level 5, now searching for hideouts, I like the battle system and hate the controls.

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4464 on: November 16, 2008, 01:00:53 AM »
DQ4r: I got back to this now that it's fully translated and ported over. It's nice, being Dragon Quest 4 with a facelift and a few new features.  It's a net game, though the accents and the removal of field conversations are strikes against the translation. Otherwise, it's still the same game as before. Nice to see it getting a boost and hopefully rebounding DL numbers.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4465 on: November 16, 2008, 01:17:17 AM »
SN - About to hit map 20. Most noteworthy thing is being at L29 when endgame levels are 35. >_>;
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #4466 on: November 16, 2008, 01:33:40 AM »
ES: You say you want a revolution~

-Met Lord Monocle. He's a wanker.

-Why does some random goatherder know about the side effects of mineral powder when an entire city full of addicts doesn't? I know, I know, ES plot, don't ask questions.

-Archer girl acquired. Huzzah! And the mascot has the decency to not talk, always a plus with those.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4467 on: November 16, 2008, 04:27:54 AM »
That was it Rob yeah. That and how Aquaria seemed a bit more technologically advanced than other towns also Elena's mad Thunder Arrow plans and what not. It was like Elena was trying to implement her knowledge bit by bit w/o making it blatently obvious to the natives that she was an outworlder~ Or something.

Haha Niu that sounds exactly like something an absentminded bookworm like Elena would do too getting trapped like that. With her nose stuck in a book anything could happen around her and she might not notice till it was too late >.>

Growlanser 5- Almost halfway through again. Saved this morning before going to Warslee with Melvina after Isaac.
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4468 on: November 16, 2008, 05:05:47 AM »
Been getting mileage out of my 360. Let's see...

Tales of Vesperia - Good fun. About to fight Barbos. Only complaint I really have so far is that I still don't have the Moon Selector :<

Ninja Gaiden Black - ARGH PAIN *starts game over from final chapter, gets to C9 without dying once* wait what.

Bioshock - About to head to the Metro Area. Very good game so far.

Portal - Beat. Fun, but I don't get the best game ever hype. It was certainly worth getting The Orange Box for. Speaking of which...

Half Life 2 - The speedboat can go die. Not a bad game outside of this stupid bit though.

Team Fortress 2 - Played some online matches. Turns out I work best as... Engineer. Who'dve thought. Weirdly I haven't run into any swear word spewing assholes on the matches I've played, was under the impression online games like this had more of those.

I know some of the DLers here play this. Gimme your gamertags >_>?

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4469 on: November 16, 2008, 05:43:01 AM »
Ninjatown:  Beaten.  Last level was surprisingly easy.  Must stat topic this game.

BvS:  Went to another village to do a Sannin Run.  Starting Monochrome now.

Spore:  Finished Civilization stage, which was only a slight improvement over Tribal stage.  I converted all the cities of the land to my religion.  WORSHIP ME!  Now I'm in the Space stage, which is pretty darned cool.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #4470 on: November 16, 2008, 06:27:49 AM »
Wrath: Internet somehow fixed itself.  Time to begin another journey of storyline trashing, endless grinding, and self-loathing.  YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: November 16, 2008, 06:54:28 AM »
Update on Ninja Gaiden Black: I'm up to chapter 11. I have not died once. I have two autorevive items. HOW THE HELL DID I DO THIS WHAT THE CRAP. I guess this game really rewards having experienced it before cause geeze.

Oh, and this is out of 16 chapters for those who haven't played it.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #4472 on: November 16, 2008, 08:01:46 AM »
That was it Rob yeah. That and how Aquaria seemed a bit more technologically advanced than other towns also Elena's mad Thunder Arrow plans and what not. It was like Elena was trying to implement her knowledge bit by bit w/o making it blatently obvious to the natives that she was an outworlder~ Or something.

Haha Niu that sounds exactly like something an absentminded bookworm like Elena would do too getting trapped like that. With her nose stuck in a book anything could happen around her and she might not notice till it was too late >.>

Growlanser 5- Almost halfway through again. Saved this morning before going to Warslee with Melvina after Isaac.

Elena being a 4D being is just bad writing, then. It totally undercuts the "most OPAs are a result of people who have too linear a view of technological progression when faced with a society that is far more advanced in a specific area than others" bit they mention, and instead now OPAs are all over the damn place.

Honestly, I think I could say that about most of the 4D space plot, with the exception of them being post-technological singularity people, which is an intriguing concept.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #4473 on: November 16, 2008, 09:34:03 AM »
ES: You say you want a revolution~

-Met Lord Monocle. He's a wanker.

-Why does some random goatherder know about the side effects of mineral powder when an entire city full of addicts doesn't? I know, I know, ES plot, don't ask questions.

-Archer girl acquired. Huzzah! And the mascot has the decency to not talk, always a plus with those.

Random goatherder gets the only good lines in the whole game, and just generally is the best part of ES. This could be due to the fact that she has such little screen time that she doesn't have time to mess up... but the game is pretty short in itself and manages to fail so hard on plot that she seems more entertaining for the comparison.

Are you playing the 360 version or the *new and improved* PS3 version? I don't know what kind of improvements the PS3 version has, but with some significant scenes added, the game's story -could- be good. It's not that the game's story ideas are -bad-, in fact they're kind of interesting. The problem is that everytime a new story idea is introduced, that's it - the idea is never brought up again, it was just an introduction, a teaser of a story line. The next scene you see will inevitably have nothing to do with the scene before it. As a result, you have a game with a bunch of unfinished ideas, which arguably could be considered as representative of a disease-induced death-dream - but I think that's giving the writers too much credit as even -that- concept is really never touched upon again.

-Djinn

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: November 16, 2008, 10:33:24 AM »
Cid has a PS3 so probably the newer version.

Soul Calibur 4: I bought this game back in September but it somehow got mixed up with my Gamecube games (probably went the flood hit my house >_>).  Currently going through the Tower of Souls with a tonfa-wielding Richard Hawk and a Pow Hammer-wielding Misha Arsellec Lune.  I don't know a good style for Michael Wilson since there's no PAUNCHING in SC but still ;_;.  I like the idea of Story mode taking 15 minutes since it requires to complete it with every character to unlock all weapons.

Castlevania OoE: After the insane crab battle, the game goes much smoother without cheap motherfucking bosses for a while.  I don't like game very much.  Weapons very limited, magic glyphs seem to do no damage and you have no cash.  The idea of a world map is offer refreshing scenery than old stanky Dracula's castle but the enviroments are still dark forests and underwater caverns.