Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 464334 times)

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #475 on: January 23, 2008, 09:13:28 PM »
Nah Captain, avatar Dr. Morris.  Only he can make puns during the end of the world.

No way am I avataring someone with more bad puns than DL chat.  I'll just go for the massively broken character instead.

Speaking of which, MC is Penny of course.  Although I don't know her stats, MC is going to use her anyways in Wifi (he has it right?!?).  I must think of counters.

Penny's army is immune to weather, and her COP changes the weather.

Anyways, I'm on campain mission 24.  Battles go by very quickly because the damage of everything went up.

Really?  Seems the same or less damage to me.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 23, 2008, 10:59:10 PM »
S4 - Okay, so I recruit Kika! I take a look at the stats, check Falcon Rune, so far so good.

Then, it hits me that she starts with two rune slots and I have that Fury Rune.

<3<3<3<3<3<3
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 24, 2008, 03:13:37 AM »
OS-Finished Cornelius's section(I skipped pretty much the entire map, because seriously, fuck that shit) and started She Who Must Not Be Named's chapter. Eh, she's okay in battle I guess. Oswald could've been another Patented Odin Sphere Fuck You Moment, but you can kill the fairies that heal them and they stop respawning so that's good. A close shave nontheless. Story isn't really worth mentioning.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #478 on: January 24, 2008, 10:02:35 AM »
S4 - Okay, so I recruit Kika! I take a look at the stats, check Falcon Rune, so far so good.

Then, it hits me that she starts with two rune slots and I have that Fury Rune.

<3<3<3<3<3<3

That is basically the best and most interesting combat setup you'll ever see in Suikoden 4. The game is that mundane.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 24, 2008, 10:42:06 AM »
Suikoden V: Because I felt like grinding out my time goal.  Only two hours left.

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: January 24, 2008, 11:34:31 AM »
Soul Caliber 3 ~ I've been playing so few games, I thought I'd mention this.

I'm, for some screwy reason, trying to unlock all available weapon disciplines, and I am also trying to get a bunch of the armors so I can make lots and lots of custom characters that I will never use. Grieve Edge sucks. Katana and Shuriken is awesome. Kunai is awesome. Setsuna and Taki are awesome. CONCLUSION: Ninja is the best class in the game.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 24, 2008, 04:53:33 PM »
S4 - My current main party is at L47 now due to Leviathans not being rare, being stupid overlevelled and failing at life despite the endgame boss-level HP (those things have what, 4k~5k? What the hell). Currently wild goose chasing that Thunder Orb for Unlimited Tactical Nuclear Jeane Works.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 24, 2008, 06:23:46 PM »
Suikoden V: Finally hit my time goal, I can die in peace now.

Goal 1: Get 1,00 pieces of Suikoden fanart
Goal 2: Make my Suikoden folder take up more computer space then my WoW folder.
Goal 3: Log 240 hours on Suikoden V.

And with that, I look forward to seeing the nice silk lined coffin.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 24, 2008, 06:51:58 PM »
Your coffin will not be lined with silk. It will be lined with prints of all of your fanart.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 24, 2008, 06:56:04 PM »
Your coffin will not be lined with silk. It will be lined with prints of all of your fanart.

I'll die as I lived, over-obsessive to the point of bad health.  *cough*

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 24, 2008, 07:09:02 PM »
Awesome fanart there, man.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 24, 2008, 09:57:55 PM »
AWDoR:  Beaten.  Final level is hell.  My strategy was to place a rocket near the left laser to destroy anything spawning in the left bay, and slowly work towards the right, using bombers to destroy the center lasers and AA guns to destroy the planes that spawn in the right bay.  On the other front, I took the southeast factory ASAP, while using the initial fighter and bomber to harass his factory.  This is purely a delaying tactic, but it works long enough to get some offense going in the west.

Overall, a bit less "fun" than Dual Strike, but still a solid game.  8/10.

And now, the characters!

Infantry:  50% more expensive than before, and now there's a bike unit that can move farther.  So they've lost a lot of their appeal.  But they're still the cheapest unit, and still have their uses.

Mechs:  Basically unchanged from previous games.  They hate the way snow works now.

Bike:  An infantry with 5 movement.  They're good, but can't be transported and have terrain problems that infantry don't.

Recon:  Same old, same old.

Tank:  Ammo got nerfed, as it did for most units.

M Tank:  Cheaper!  Otherwise about the same.

War Tank:  Don't confuse it with Mega Tank.  There are similarites, but it certainly doesn't have Mega Tank's durability.  Pretty useful.

Artillery:  Same as before, except less ammo.

Anti-Air:  IMHO, the best overall unit in previous games, and they made them $1000 cheaper in this one.  Still rock just as much.

Anti-Tank:  DOES NOT DIE.  Also brutal counterattacks.  Slow and relatively expensive though.  Use them as hole blockers.

Rocket:  Pretty much the same.

Missile:  Most improved award.  And all they did was give it one extra range.  Somehow that turned the worst unit in the game to something quite usable.

Flare:  Eh, nothing to write home about.  Guess they help on FoW maps with lots of cities, since those block vision now.

Rig:  Everything you loved about APCs, now with the ability to build refueling stations anywhere.  Yay!

Fighter:  More expensive and weaker.  Bleah.

Bomber:  Still awesome.

Seaplane:  If you can get these going, you're going to win.  Take a huge setup though.

Duster:  Fighter's little brother.  Ground attacks are terrible, but it's pretty good against other planes.

B Copter:  Same as before, although I felt little need to use them in this game.

T Copter:  Yeah, who cares.

Battleship:  Slightly weaker, but they can move and attack, so they're sick now.

Carrier:  Totally revamped.  No longer have their AA missiles of doom, but they're basically an airport for seaplanes.  Just watch out for subs...

Sub:  Same as before.  Still useful.

Cruiser:  A bit better than before.

Gunboat:  I like them.  Only one shot, but it's a strong one, and you can use them to ferry infantry afterwards.

Lander:  A bit tougher than before.

What, you thought I was going to talk about the COs?  Caulder's broken as fuck, and everyone else seems fairly well-balanced.  Having only 12 COs sucks since the last game had around 26.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 24, 2008, 09:59:32 PM »

Only 100??
Make it at least half a thousand.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 25, 2008, 01:31:48 AM »
Awesome fanart there, man.

Full picture. Spoilarific!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i312/Fudozukushi/Suikoden%20V/danbooru-p-114584968643653-2.jpg

Only 100??
Make it at least half a thousand.

Oops, that's a typo.  It's supposed to be 1,000.  Damn sleep deprivation!

*a gunshot is heard*

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 25, 2008, 01:51:37 AM »
S4 - Thunder Rune got, Unlimited Tactical Nuclear Jeane Magnum Opus may now commence. As an aside? Elenor may be a total bitch-hag, but that was a vaguely amusing introductory scene.

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 25, 2008, 04:13:34 AM »
Phantom Brave:

C17-1, IIRC.

7000 power swords are shiny. ^_^ Marona's L103, Ash is...think he's still L99, everyone else is 50-75 range.

Yes, Sulpher will suffer. Mwhahaha and such.

Samidare:

Extra cleared.

http://sageacrin.googlepages.com/replay012.dat

^_^

<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 25, 2008, 04:13:53 AM »
Chrono Trigger - Smashed Masamune, using Lucca and Marle right now for MAGIC SMASH or something. Just interesting enough for me to keep playing it in the near future, though I'm without this computer all weekend while I'm at my mom's.

I'll probably finish WA5 over the weekend, then get working on Shadow Hearts or WA:ACF more.

Or I'll continue replaying FE9 on Hard Mode again.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 25, 2008, 07:01:39 AM »
FE9- Chapter 17. My Ike is a freak, keke~  Level 20: 36/20/6/18/17/12/17/8. ^_^

More posting later, too busy playing!
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #493 on: January 25, 2008, 07:30:19 AM »
Soul Caliber 3 ~ I've been playing so few games, I thought I'd mention this.

I'm, for some screwy reason, trying to unlock all available weapon disciplines, and I am also trying to get a bunch of the armors so I can make lots and lots of custom characters that I will never use. Grieve Edge sucks. Katana and Shuriken is awesome. Kunai is awesome. Setsuna and Taki are awesome. CONCLUSION: Ninja is the best class in the game.

No mention of Lance? Lances are beastly. Iron Sword is also BA. 44B will piece guard and comes out super fast. Use it with Soul Edge to end fights in ten seconds. I also like Rapiers, as Raphael is my main.

In conclusion: you lie. Knight is far better.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 25, 2008, 07:35:26 AM »
FE9: Couldn't beat the Black Knight this time.  Aether kicked in once, near the end of the fight! Then the two Bishops healed him, argh.

Wasn't really much I could do barring give Ike Nihil; he used Luna EVERY SINGLE TIME HE ATTACKED.  Ike survived, and it wouldn't matter anyway since Ike was getting 2HKOed regardless, but yeah; I absolutely could not go on the offensive.  Ah well, so I just get a worse PC to hit the final boss with, I'll live.

Also, my *SOTHE* is a freak! ...by his standards.  Level 17, and already better stats across the board, where possible, in everything but Res (and maybe HP; forgot to check that one!) than his FE10 form.  This will be a fun transfer <_<

MMZXA: Beat Vulturon.  Oh look, an original boss form in this game that looks like it might be useful! That's like #2 or something!
That, and GUITAR VULTURE just wins <_<
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 07:37:13 AM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: January 25, 2008, 11:36:56 AM »
Knight is good, but Ninja can use Bombs IIRC and bombs make for lots of fun.  (knights are kind of broken honestly)
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 25, 2008, 06:40:57 PM »
FE9: finished my Fixed Growths replay of this last night. Only Ike and Mist hit 20/20 for the transfer bonuses. Well, and Sothe hit 20/0, of course. He got 18 str, 20 spd, 20 skl, and like 12 def? Something good like that. I had one of the bands on him whenever he leveled(Knight band, I think) to further increase his growth potential, and right before the final battle used all of my stat upping items he could use on him.

Final battle was, well, formulaic. Sent Oscar, Kieran, Tormod and Elincia to the right, and they cleaned house. Zihark, Ena, Rolf, Jill and Mist went right, also cleaning house but not quite as fast. Ike, Soren, Boyd, Giffca, Reyson and Tanith head up the middle to deal with the miniboss and dragons. Pretty much just sweeping through, though the middle did give me some issues here and there as I was trying to feed the kills to boyd in an effort to get him to level 20/20. Still, no casualties, and no injurys beyond our capibility to heal. Everyone performed exceptionally well. <_<;

Oh, and Ashnard gets one rounded by Giffca and Ike, as Ike activates Aether twice in a row(Reyson had them act again, of course)

FE10: started this up, with the transfer data of course. So far...well, they all feel kinda weak, even for beginning FE characters. Michaia is good enough, but the myrmidon kid won't dodge anything, and the archer guy kinda sucks on damage. Even the token overleveled but not promoted guy isn't really all that great. Sothe is god, of course, but don't want to overuse him. Then again, maybe my problem is going straight from Endgame tactics in one FE to trying to play the beginning of another.

Also, Begnion soldiers are dicks the likes of which Zenthor wouldn't lower himself to cracking jokes about. <_<

<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 25, 2008, 06:41:12 PM »
Star Ocean 2: Fooled around in the cave of trials. I had one gameover on the seventh floor or something by being ganked by 6-7 level 99 funny thief. I should have realized that if I'm given a weapon with 1 attack, the game will punish me if I don't use it. When I returned adequately prepared for them, I didn't ever encounter more than 3 of them in any battle. In any case, there where only two floors with the not so fun thieves. After that, fighting got a lot more fun.

I made it to level 12 and I'm now supposed to reenter with only two characters.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 25, 2008, 07:18:41 PM »
S4 - So, I was fooling around, recruiting people and I randomly drop at the Pirates' Nest to recruit Katarina, and I figure I may as well sell some junk at the shop for extra bucks. I check the Bargain Bin and the game suddenly goes "hay I got this Double-Strike Rune for you how bout it". My response is as expected. Kika dealing about 1100 damage per Falcon Rune is a go. And hey, look, Ted joins with a Magician Robe and they started selling Magic Sandals and Hats at the Man-Harem (okay, so I'm infantile with fort names, sue me)! I promptly equip those plus Jeane's Magic Ring on him, and hey, I have spare scales for a second Magician Ring, so why not give -that- one to Jeane?

So, yeah, I have my endgame party all set up, some stray magical runes aside. The game merrily whimpers.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 07:42:34 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 25, 2008, 08:11:55 PM »
Thief uses Bombs, Grefter. Which is awesome, you're right.

Knight IS pretty damn good, but I just can't say no to the Katana and Shuriken combo. Or shooting gouts of flame off the Kunai. Or Taki rape.