Register

Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 465308 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #500 on: January 25, 2008, 08:17:28 PM »
FE9: finished my Fixed Growths replay of this last night. Only Ike and Mist hit 20/20 for the transfer bonuses. Well, and Sothe hit 20/0, of course. He got 18 str, 20 spd, 20 skl, and like 12 def? Something good like that. I had one of the bands on him whenever he leveled(Knight band, I think) to further increase his growth potential, and right before the final battle used all of my stat upping items he could use on him.

If you're wondering, Sothe's FE10 stats at level 1 are:

35 HP, 18 Str, 4 Mag, 20 Spd, 20 Skl, 15 Luck, 14 Def, 9 Res

Any stat that Sothe has higher than his FE10 base stats in will be raised to that; believe that those are the minimal for each stat. 

FE10: started this up, with the transfer data of course. So far...well, they all feel kinda weak, even for beginning FE characters. Michaia is good enough, but the myrmidon kid won't dodge anything, and the archer guy kinda sucks on damage. Even the token overleveled but not promoted guy isn't really all that great. Sothe is god, of course, but don't want to overuse him. Then again, maybe my problem is going straight from Endgame tactics in one FE to trying to play the beginning of another.

The Dawn Brigade (and a few other Part 1 PCs) are very much project PCs.  Micaiah and Sothe are worth raising due to how they're forced all the damn time alone, Nolan's actually pretty good, just give him a weapon that isn't heavy and inaccurate (Steel Axe was not the best of options for him that early <_<.)  Edward ends up decent on paper, but the catch up work isn't worth it, combined with bad affinity of support, better off just using one of the other Swordmasters (well, no, his only real contention is Zihark for a while...and you probably should use both given how Dawn Brigade chapters let you use most of your PCs.  Its mostly an end game thing when Edward vs. Someone else kicks in.)  Leo is...worst Sniper in the game, though to his credit, he's your only Bow user for that group, so he's got some uses there.  Also gets a nice unique weapon, but yeah; decent short term investment, but not someone I'd use in the long run (Long Run being Part 4.)
Naturally, using Sothe should be done with some reservations; don't abuse him and have him steal all kills.  Best idea, I found, was to give Sothe Bronze Knives/Daggers, alongside a decent strong weapon like the Beast Killer just in case, and have him knock enemies down to single digit HP (Bronze Weapons are more extreme Iron Weapons, and they can't crit, so they're perfect for this kind of work.)

Laura's your typical healer; uses there are obvious, though you knew that.

In any event, another thing to keep in mind: FE10 is definitly much harder than FE9.  This is partially cause "Normal" mode is actually Japanese Hard; mind, game isn't exceedingly difficult or anything, but definitly takes some getting use to.

*ANYWAY*, speaking of FE...

FE9: Completed!

Top PCs:
Jill > Ike > Marcia > Tormod > Rolf

Tormod got his S in Lightning! ...on the last enemy of the final map -_-;
Rolf never got that S in Bows though; this is my fault for using him with a Forged Iron Bow and the Rolf's Bow for so long (hey, they WERE killing things!), which killed his Weapon EXP.

Anyway, Jill was the only level 20/20 PC; Ike *ALMOST* made it, but shame he didn't; he had like 3 capped stats (Strength and Speed at least, anyway.)  Jill managed to cap Strength, Speed and Skill, so yeah, that's going to be fun in FE10 once I transfer that.  Sothe...better in every stat but HP than his FE10 form, where he lost by 1, THAT'S going to be fun, pity I know its not going to save him much end game (he rams his strength cap damn fast in FE10, IIRC, so I guess this means better BEXP abuse?)

I could have easily gotten Mist to level 20/20, but didn't bother; wasn't sure she was going to cap stats, though I probably could have made her with item abuse.  Not sure I'm going to be using her in my FE10 replay final team anyway.

Chose Naesala as my Royal.  Why? The free coin for FE10 of course!

Thoughts of characters used this time:

Ike's fairly solid.  He was averagish before promotion, then went pretty awesome after.  Naturally, the last 2 chapters where he has Ragnell, he's just an evil little freak.

Mist is great too.  Really can't see why she gets antihype; oh noes, she has to use Sonic Sword and Rune Sword for good damage!  ...or not.  She can butcher mages with a Steel Sword if she wants, mocks their damage, and Axe users just can't hit her...at all.  Combine that with mobility and healing, she's a solid PC no matter how you look at it.

Jill...is about what I remember.  Solid first half, O_o second half. Amazing how Axes make her kill things dead.  Full Guard Jill just kind of doesn't die.  Randomly gave her Gamble and Counter, Counter helped give that little extra damage when she's attacked while equipped with a Hand Axe or something, Gamble...just sat there <_<

Nephenee was a fine tank...but her offense was :psyduck:  She wasn't doubling everything the way Mia did, and her strength growth was worse.  Now note, I'm aware this is entirely *MY* Nephenee, so I'm not saying she's bad, just saying in this file, she wasn't as good as I had hoped.  Go figure, I finally get around to using FE9 Nephenee...and she gets Strength raped.

Mia was strength raped too, though gained a few on her last few levels, so she was only below average instead of fail.  Didn't use Vantage/Wrath, tried Vantage/Resolve, ended up being useless since she never knocked to that point.  Also never got a chance to make use of Vague Katti <_<;

Kieran was Oscar with Axes.  Not much else to say.  Great PC and all that.

Marcia was a typical Peg Knight with better strength (which means Better Speed in practice too), so she was hurting things a lot better.  Used Tanith a bit too, mind, kind of wishing I used her instead of Marcia, mostly cause I sued Marcia last game, and Tanith's very similar, just with Reinforce, which is nice.

Ena is...definitly worse than Mist Dragon.  No getting around that; she couldn't really hurt Ashnard (well, she did 1 DAMAGE!!! to him...yeah...)  Mind, despite being doubled, she wasn't OHKOed either, which was funny, yay tank!

Soren...is a Mage.  Adept is a nice extra chance to kill something, though late game, found him most useful as an added healer.  Worked for what he was, though he fell behind some early game; healing made him catch up.

Tormod...he is really good, once he catches up.  Catching him up can be a chore though, given his low level + joining late.  Still, solid stats, Celerity, and Healing make him a competent PC.  No doubt he's the best mage in the game if you can work around his underleveledness. 

Boyd...is about what I expected.  Warrior with actual speed and skill, in a game where Axes are practical and good weapons.  Which is to say, he's a fine PC and all that.

Reyson is Reyson; I don't have to explain why he's good <.<

Rolf...surprised me.  I mostly used him so I could get Shinon without him being a liability.  Turned out being far more effective than I expected.  His evasion was better than I figured it'd be, his damage was great, doubled most things, Long Bow was a nice snipe, the Crit Rate...well, that made it annoying when I wanted him to Chip, but was also good for a surprise kill...yeah.  Pity he has absolutely no Melee, though; means he can only be used to attack, and doesn't do well on the defensive.  Somehow, he still ended up #5 in Kills <_<
As a side note, his FE10 Form > his FE9 Form, no question's asked.  FE10, Marskmen are actual interesting classes, Double Bow is WTFHAX, Crossbows are good melee before then should you need him to do something like that...yeah.  So if my Rolf was actually a strong Rolf, it says something about how much improved he was between FE9 and FE10 (which is to say, Shinon probably got an even BIGGER improvement, going from crappy Prepromo to one of the better PCs in the game <_<)

Yeah, game still rocks and all that.  No clue about Hard Mode.  I will note that like I remember, game does kind of fall apart on difficulty after Chap 17, which is where most of your PCs start promoting and enemies stop keeping up, etc.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 26, 2008, 01:26:21 AM »
OS-Fairy's book beaten. That last boss was pretty easy...save for the fact that basically all his moves except the eye lasers were OHKOes. Same with his support. Only took me a couple tries irregardless. Unlimited Pow is going to be fuuuuuuuun, especially in conjuntion with Painkiller.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 26, 2008, 01:42:39 AM »
Been Messing Around with a Few Games Recently waiting for Grim Grimoire to Arrive
BoF 1- Decided to Resmash in Myria's face.

BoF 4- Still tried to crack the Magic equation more.

FF 7- Restarted. Ew, run buttons. Glad games eventually got rid of those.

Grandia 2- Thinking of doing a boss topic, but I hit the second dungeon and remembered that the dungeons were kind of annoying.
...into the nightfall.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 26, 2008, 02:05:46 AM »
SV: Made my way to the first war battle and having my warehouse back.  I checked and found out I did manage to store one of Egbert's statues.  Which was a big relief because I had two in my inventory for some reason and I was panicking that I had left the third still standing.

I also managed to fill the warehouse to capacity, yay.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 26, 2008, 02:35:30 AM »
Awesome fanart there, man.

Full picture. Spoilarific!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i312/Fudozukushi/Suikoden%20V/danbooru-p-114584968643653-2.jpg

Suikoden V: Finally hit my time goal, I can die in peace now.

Goal 1: Get 1,00 pieces of Suikoden fanart

Only 100??
Make it at least half a thousand.

Oops, that's a typo.  It's supposed to be 1,000.  Damn sleep deprivation!

*a gunshot is heard*

Good, then the main question, how many of those are yaoi pics?

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 26, 2008, 03:01:37 AM »
Since I can't play NWN2 I'm playing IWD2, something I hadn't played yet.  Not too far in, but it sure it weird starting out in level 1.  I'm so used to starting out as powerful (BG2), or damn near godlike (BG2x).  Mere goblins giving me a challenge is laughable and a bit sad.

First town- killed the guys who apparently would have helped me later.  Oh well, they were dicks and if the game let's me kill people I will!  Using 3 characters, fight/thief, mage, cleric.  I've been told that this game is too easy with 5 or 6, so opted for 3 instead.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 26, 2008, 05:52:44 AM »
Game is easier with a cut back party I found.  The exp scales with Challenge Rating of enemies so while 5 or 6 gets you more exp overall I found 4 gave me the best performance by staying slightly ahead of the level curve.  If you really want you can cheat the system by dragging around a couple of level 1 characters (Current party CR is based on an average of ECL).  IWD2 solos are a special kind of annoying with next to no character development for your efforts, gooooo soloing 3 dragons for 150 exp!
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 26, 2008, 06:07:15 AM »
Awesome fanart there, man.

Full picture. Spoilarific!

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i312/Fudozukushi/Suikoden%20V/danbooru-p-114584968643653-2.jpg

Suikoden V: Finally hit my time goal, I can die in peace now.

Goal 1: Get 1,00 pieces of Suikoden fanart

Only 100??
Make it at least half a thousand.

Oops, that's a typo.  It's supposed to be 1,000.  Damn sleep deprivation!

*a gunshot is heard*

Good, then the main question, how many of those are yaoi pics?

Less then I'd like since my Mozilla crashed.

Also...

Warlords Battlecry II: I suddenly remember why I spent hours playing this, it's bloody awesome.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: January 26, 2008, 06:46:47 AM »
FE10: Started a new game of this.  It is awesome and such.  Transfered my Sothe's data over!

...he started with 34 HP.  Blech, ok, so maybe Sothe *CAN* get worse with data transfer.  Whatever, easy enough to avoid by just not getting Sothe to level 20 if he's RNG raped or something <_<

Anyway, beat Chap 3.  Finally discovered why I had so much trouble with that chapter!  Yeah, it was a simple thing too, go figure.  Actually, I was doing well in one instance...then an enemy Crit Aimee, which costs me 100 BEXP right there ;_;

Also, Micaiah's ACTUALLY GAINING SPEED THIS PLAYTHROUGH!  No, she's not a speedster or anything, but 3 speed in 9 levels or so, which is pretty standard for her IIRC, is far better than her little "Don't get any speed until level 15!" fiasco she pulled my first game.  At least this time I won't spend the last few levels RNG Abusing til she gets speed each level <.<

Not much else to say...besides that this games early parts are harder than...well, just about anything in FE9.  Granted, the "this is really hard mode, despite being called Normal mode" probably has something to do with it >_>

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 26, 2008, 04:50:17 PM »
SV: Second War battle done, about to head into the third.  Also, I have no idea who I should use for my final party.  I'm thinking of at least bringing Viki, because team "Rape the final boss in one round" is getting boring.

WBC2: I...I...I'm actually competent at this?  What the hell?

ME: Achievement whoring, Paragon ending watching, bleh.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: January 26, 2008, 06:01:02 PM »
S4 - Beaten. That was a pathetic string of last battles, although I probably got a bit lucky on World Tree. Cray was lulz. Mizuki shaved off a third of his life with a single Shrike, and things just went downhill from there. Really have little to say, I couldn't even be bothered to sit through the ending, and it was quite an underwhelming experience. The game could've been pretty fun, but every other simple design choice was made with the sole intent of annoying the player. The game has schizophrenic polish (hey, we made the best HQ ever! Hey, we also made sailing the worst thing that could ever happen to Suikoden navigation! And that has always been one of the series' biggest issues to begin with! Smart), and there's so much annoyance scattered throughout that the game ended up mostly being a chore instead of fun, although it -was- pretty fun when it wasn't being obnoxious. Just... obnoxious too often. Blah.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 26, 2008, 08:34:12 PM »
FE9 Hard Mode replay, on Chapter 21 (the one with Boss Ena) Team so far -

Ike - Just promoted, starting to get awesome, etc.
Boyd - Is Boyd, and therefore destroys things dead.
Mist - Mobile healer who smites mages.
Illyana - It's a personal preference thing. Speed is meh, but strength and high magic make up for it well enough.
Mia - Swordmaster, decent enough, needs crits to kill things.
Nephenee - Mia with less crit-frenzying and more defense.
Brom - Er... already near Gatrie's endgame speed, just with a lot less strength. Tanks like all generals should.
Kieran - Oscar with axes and more strength, in exchange for crappier supports.
Makalov - Er... well. He's actually pretty good, especially once he promotes and you give him axes.
Marcia - Super pegasus knight etc.
Jill - Fast, strong, tough, Full Guard is downright unfair.
Volke - Er... promoted to Assassin from level 13 Thief and still has decent strength and speed. Knives fail though.
Stefan - Filler when needed, not quite as broken as he is when you first get him. Still murders things.

Anyways, off to finish WA5 or something.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 26, 2008, 11:53:55 PM »
Ar Tonelico: Misha's story is done. So pretty much this game is more or less completed. I could go back and watch the Shurelia ending, but screw that.

Guilty gear XX Accent Core: Picked this up when I was getting FE10. Fun little time waster. I put some time into it now and then. I'm never really good at fighters, so I make do with whatever I can learn really. Currently learning how to use Ky (ie: someone simple) and its still pretty hard! But all in good fun

FE10: Yep started this as well. Game is definitely quite a bit harder than I expected >_>. Currently Chapter 3 I think. Thoughts...Nolan is incredibly badass at the moment. The only character other than Sothe who can take a hit or two. Sothe is awesome as an all purpose "bail yourself out" character. I still don't know how Guard works. I assume it only works on indirect attacks, since the one time I put him beside Micaiah, the skill didn't trigger when an enemy soldier attacked her. Speaking of Micaiah, WAY too frail. Complete Glass Cannon. Basically deals lots of damage and can't take any back in return. Also, she's supposed to be slow too! Yay. Edward is decent, but nothing special. Leo sucks. Think that's around everything.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 27, 2008, 12:14:34 AM »
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin: Stuck on Mission 24.  Goddamn random bombings on my troops prevents me of making any sort of force.  I was amassing Carriers (lol starcraft) since they're expensive and useless offensivly, but fucking random subs take them down in one shot.

I wish I could actually pick my CO on the start of a mission. Will is overall pretty useless on anything except pure land maps and Lin sucks in non-FoW maps, but the game uses those COs about 80% of the time. Well, it's better than no having CO powers or DtD like the very beginning of the game.  At least in previous AWs, you could use CO powers to power through when you don't have the property advantage.  Now, I have to make sure I capture every single city so I can outfund the enemy.

No More Heroes:  Randomly fun Wii game. Imagine VSM turning into a hitman and you get this game.  Also I would guess Zenny would be the master of this game since he has perfected the "stroking" motion that's required to recharge your weapon.  Lots of decapitation and gimp beatdowns so it's great for commies too.  Too bad the game is pretty short (12 hours tops).

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 27, 2008, 12:30:45 AM »
OS-Oswald's first chapter completed. Bwahahahah Oswald you try so hard to be a badass but you're not. In battle he's okay, I guess. Fairly tanky, which is a relief after the Fairy, but not much in the range department and Shadow Knight form doesn't last nearly long enough to be useful. Though, if Unlimited POW works with it it should be a good boss finisher.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 27, 2008, 12:48:23 AM »
AW: DoR: Just after Mission 21, haven't really seen anything hard yet. I am forced to agree with Eph about the CO thing.

OG1: Just beat Mission 37. I will beat this by 2010, I swear~.
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 27, 2008, 12:58:07 AM »
Disgaea 2:

Replay time! I'm still in chapter 1 doing item world. My levels are around 12 and I'm going to break the game completely. Fun.

* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 27, 2008, 02:46:01 AM »
AW: DoR.  Just got it.  About 10 missions in I think (DS is charging now, though).  Still haven't had a CO.

Thoughts on the unit changes:

Infantry: +50% cost.  Good change, they were broken before.
Bike--new unit that's like a more expensive 5 move infantry.  Very, very good unit--if it makes you capture a property even one turn faster, it just paid off for it not to be an infantry.
Mech: -17% cost.  Despite the fact that their natural counter (infantry) no longer gets spammed, this unit still doesn't impress me.
Recon: Unchanged, but other changes hurt it.  Infantry floods less common now.  Bike can cover earlygame mobility.  Recons have always been made of paper, and now that means the enemy will get a free level-up.  I haven't gotten a CO yet, but according to the manual it's now damage you deal that fills your CO meter, not damage you take, which would mean Recons cease to be the magic "get CO power" unit they were in AWDS.  In fact they're now more "give free CO power to the enemy".
Tank: Ammo reduced.  Whatever, they're largely unchanged.
Md Tank: Price reduced by 25%, ammo reduced.  Fine change.  Generally speaking AW games have leaned towards inexpensive units in the past, so a price drop is good.
War Tank: Price reduced by 40%, ammo increased, stats reduced.  Seems like this would hurt medium tanks a bit for being caught in the middle, though I haven't seen the damage numbers (I know WT have less defence than Megatanks, and I'm fairly sure their attack power is lower too).
Artillery: Ammo reduced.  Eh, they could do with a bigger nerf than that, although the infantry nerf and levelling system do hurt them.
Anti-Air: Price reduced, ammo reduced.  Interesting.  The ammo reduction is important, since it was already possible for them to run out of ammo against infantry.  The price reduction is rather brutal against air units though (since AA tended to be instantly paid off the moment it hit one of those).
Anti-Tank: ....Zuh?  So...what land unit counters this?  Rockets...maybe?  Seems pretty absurd.
Rockets: Largely unchanged.
Missiles: +1 range, +1 movement.  Excellent change.  Missiles used to suck.  I think they're usable now, though AA obviously still give them good competition.
Rig: can now build stuff.  On the whole I think it's probably worse than APCs, since Bikes render the transporting less necessary.  That said, an Infantry can still move 12 spaces in two turns with the help of an APC, which is more than a Bike, so it may have some residual use.
Flare: I've yet to actually fire a flare successfully >_>

The cut ground units are Neotanks (whatever--didn't need two versions of medium tank anyway) Piperunners (who cares?)

Air seems largely unchanged except bombers are cheaper (still file under "expensive") and they added Duster.  I'm skeptical about Dusters.  I've definitely built them, but then I regretted it.  Excellent for clearing out swarms of Battle Copters (something I don't expect to see outside of campaign) excellent for harassing capturing infantry/mech/bikes (this is probably valueable).  Not much use outside of those tasks (both of which Anti-Air can also do).  Units that didn't come back: Black Bomb (glad that's gone--armies being reduced to 1 HP repeatedly wasn't broken, since the opponent was wasting lots of money themselves, just obnoxious) and Stealths (also glad that's gone.  "I hit every unit in the game, and am only countered by one unit, yet I'm still impractical").

I haven't played any sea yet, but glanced at the manual.  Apparently Battleships have been nerfed to shoot 3-5 range instead of 2-6.  Seriously, ew, that's really bad.  Sea has had a price cut across the board (needed).  Gunboats sound neat.  Worse than Black Boats, but those were a bit degenerate.  (There's definitely situations where I'd build a lander over a gunboat even just for capturing, for instance, which already makes gunboat more balanced than BB).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 02:50:57 AM by metroid composite »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 27, 2008, 02:59:07 AM »
Tide: Guard has a chance to kick in, much like most other skills.  There's very few Permanent Activating Skills.  On the bright side, Nihil is still one of those, so you don't have to worry about that not kicking in and saving you or something if an enemy has an evil high powered skill or something *looks at the boss of Endgame 3*

Even Vantage got nerfed in this regard, as its now like Speed% chance of doing what it did in FE9.

On the brightside? Occults are now actually good!

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 27, 2008, 03:20:39 AM »
MC! Do you have Wifi? Part of the reason that I bought DoR was to challenge you. 

Anti-Tank: ....Zuh?  So...what land unit counters this?  Rockets...maybe?  Seems pretty absurd.

Infantry, Mechs and Recons do a number on it.  I think a single Infantry does more damage to it than a War Tank.  (War Tank does 30% while Infantry does 35%)

I haven't played any sea yet, but glanced at the manual.  Apparently Battleships have been nerfed to shoot 3-5 range instead of 2-6.  Seriously, ew, that's really bad.  Sea has had a price cut across the board (needed).  Gunboats sound neat.  Worse than Black Boats, but those were a bit degenerate.  (There's definitely situations where I'd build a lander over a gunboat even just for capturing, for instance, which already makes gunboat more balanced than BB).

Battleships can move AND fire on the same turn.  This makes sea battles a lot more interesting since it's no longer "Whoops! I accidently moved my Crusier into a Battleship's range! Oh fuck there goes my navy.  Gunboats are effective for finding subs and do a decent ammount of damage to crusiers.  Landers have increased defense vs. other naval units.  You haven't seen the new Carriers, which really do nothing but produce Seaplanes which are the super flying units with low ammo/fuel.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 27, 2008, 03:23:53 AM »
OS-Oswald's first chapter completed. Bwahahahah Oswald you try so hard to be a badass but you're not. In battle he's okay, I guess. Fairly tanky, which is a relief after the Fairy, but not much in the range department and Shadow Knight form doesn't last nearly long enough to be useful. Though, if Unlimited POW works with it it should be a good boss finisher.

It does extend Shadow Knight time and you should abuse it for this.

~

PatchCon: Defend the Library!

Yes, I've played another non-shooter Touhou game. RTS with Touhou characters. It's so damn cute! You can make an army of Alice Margatroid. The more you level the unit, the more dolls follow it around in battle. <3 <3 <3

I should, like, actually play an RPG, I guess. It's been a while. GL5, FM4, LoM, Soul Nomad, and unfinished Saga Frontier and BG2 files still sitting around.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 27, 2008, 04:40:02 AM »
Shadow Knight still runs out too fast with Unlimited Pow.  It's not really useful at all.

@mc:  Wartanks have the offense/defense of Neotanks, and the movement/ammo of Megatanks.

AWDoR:  Working through the Trial maps.  I'm losing all respect for the CPU AI.  They do some really stupid things.  Don't think I've ever seen them build a Rig, despite their best units being out of fuel/ammo.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 27, 2008, 06:47:38 AM »
Shadow Knight still runs out too fast with Unlimited Pow.  It's not really useful at all.

Granted that this is usually true, but it is nice for his part of the final boss string. Heavy damage in a short window of time is exactly what you need there.

Am I correct in remembering that it kills green slime, too?

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 27, 2008, 08:02:16 AM »
IW2- Chapter 1 completed.  Fighter is level 9 (said screw dual classing), Cleric is 9, and Sorc is 7 I think... she was a drow so she's leveling slower.

Fun so far... although because of the generic characters I'm not sure how much replay value this game is going to have, unless it's different for each class or something.

Summons and Fireball are the game breakers right now.  Fireball doesn't seem to hurt my allies for shit, so I can toss it onto my fighter when she's surrounded by 15 guys (which isn't uncommon in this game.)  Two of those basically slaughters any group of baddies I've fought so far.  Summons... the level 3 and 4 ones are sick.  I can summon a level 3 guy to take on 4-5 ranged guys without much issue while I deal with the melee.

The toughest part so far is that enemies like to stick who they're going after.  This can cause some trouble for my 35HP mage, although now that I have Stoneskin this shouldn't be a problem.   (I might be level 8 now, fuck if I remember.)

Basic Black Isle goodness, although I think I'm still partial to BG2 unless this game picks up in the late stages.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 27, 2008, 08:39:48 AM »
WBC2: Took the Dark Elf Capital.  Which is totally awesome since it's one of the hardest to siege.  base wide open and the enemy has an entire ring of high-power units to stop any rushing.