Register

Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 464163 times)

Bardiche

Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #5125 on: December 30, 2008, 06:19:42 AM »
Methuss - The Methuss really fails. There are good Repair units in @G, but Methuss is not one of them. Far from it, it's one of the worst units in the whole game. Fa is a worthless pilot, and the Methuss can't dodge, deal damage nor take a hit to save its life.

Actually, my Methuss can dodge. 14%~

Mostly, you have a lot of bottom-tier units, and most of them are very frail, and there is a ton of better people you can slap in their stead, assuming they're not hopelessly underlevelled. Hell, even an underlevelled Banjo in Daitarn 3 would probably be a huge quality jump compared to the likes of Viletta and Jinguji.

Tested this out. Banjo in Daitarn 3 really -does- perform better than Viletta!

Came to within an inch of beating that damn boss - I forgot deploying Daitarn 3 and Wing Gundam so they couldn't use their Spirits (inside the Soleil) and, as a result, missed defeating the boss by 400 HP.

Next time I'll beat him. Promise!

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5126 on: December 30, 2008, 06:27:32 AM »
Banjo's one of the better supers in general. Do you have any HP regen parts? He works WONDERFULLY with them.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Bardiche

« Reply #5127 on: December 30, 2008, 06:35:59 AM »
I have so many Blue Stones I didn't know what to do with them. I more or less have enough NanoParts to keep an entire team self-regenerating.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #5128 on: December 30, 2008, 07:18:02 AM »
FF fighter that is Nomura ARPG in disguise-

Got everyone into lv.100
Gabranth is literally EX mode centered, absolutely no HP damage at all in normal form.
Ulti also for some reason continues to be a better trap fighter than Emperor.
And the secret ending is bah, so Cid is the true evil, but how dare you not let us stab him in the face!? And where did the super destroyer kid go anyway????

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5129 on: December 30, 2008, 07:21:48 AM »
Solar Panels are also something you want. Oh, and use Shin Getter. Beating Ginganam has him drop an HPHGCP, which is 30% EN Regen, which immediately solves the biggest problem of the mech and turns it into a beasty bossfighter.

Also, seriously, USE THE ZETA GUNDAM. Not far from now it gets a REALLY big upgrade during your last battle with the Xabungle villains, and seriously becomes the best realtype in the game.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 07:35:17 AM by Xeroma »

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5130 on: December 30, 2008, 07:41:48 AM »
WA:XF. Creeping Chaos is just wrong. How odd of the game to at first starve you for CSP points and then throw something where you can get 60+ really easy. Needless to say, most of my PCs are picking up Extend and IFF, both of which are just evil for so many damage/buffing moves.
...into the nightfall.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #5131 on: December 30, 2008, 07:42:23 AM »
Force Unleashed: DIE SHAAK TI YOU STUPID WHORISH BITCH DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE!!!!!!!  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5132 on: December 30, 2008, 08:04:47 AM »
Methuss - The Methuss really fails. There are good Repair units in @G, but Methuss is not one of them. Far from it, it's one of the worst units in the whole game. Fa is a worthless pilot, and the Methuss can't dodge, deal damage nor take a hit to save its life.

Actually, my Methuss can dodge. 14%~

14% chance of the enemies -hitting- her or 14% evade? If it's the latter, uh, that's so not saving someone who gets 2HKOed by failure grunts left and right. >_> If it's the former, it's still sorta not that good considering your good Reals will consistently dodge everything that isn't a boss 100% assuming decent optimization. I think you could make the White Ark dodge that well, and it can take hits over twice as well as the Methuss can, and it has better offense. Mostly a matter of actually checking PCs and comparing which ones are better/worse, @G wants you to care about objective character worth and drops Bergelmirs on your head if you don't. >_>
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5133 on: December 30, 2008, 08:12:35 AM »
In fairness normal mode bergelmirs probably aren't as bad as hard mode ones Snow. But yeah.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5134 on: December 30, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »
The problem with the License Board was that it made characters carbon copies of one other, since they all used the same board AND started right next to each other on it.  The Grow Book doesn't have this problem, which is why it's misleading to compare it to the License Board.  If you think it's worse than the Sphere Grid, fine, but it's more like that than the License Board.

For all that I agree that the AP gains needed to be somewhat less and the boosts somewhat more powerful to make you pick and choose for most of the game.

I'd suggest this one to NEB over the others because it is the one with more challenge (unlike AI2/3/At) as well as a non-generic battle system (like AI1).

Oh I don't disagree with MK being a bad place for him to start.

The Grow Book is full of exactly the same stat boosts for everyone outside of some minor differences (I am at the point where Pamela got a 10 Resist where physical characters got 5!!1), everyone is getting +1 hit at about the same amount.  The basic skillsets are different and that is fine.  It still functions exactly the same as the License board, it is just each character has their own individually designed one, which isn't like the Sphere grid anyway.  It is not like the Sphere Grid end of argument.  It is like the License Board.  It isn't quite as flawed as the License Board (which wasn't that bad), but it has its own share of flaws anyway.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #5135 on: December 30, 2008, 04:36:10 PM »
Valkyria Chronicles: Is pretty darn fun so far. A few points:

-Vyse and Aika? Haha, awesome. You know I have to recruit those two.

-If there absolutely has to be a mascot, you can do a lot worse than a flying pig.

-I am saddened that you can't kill people by running them down with the tank.

Pyro

« Reply #5136 on: December 30, 2008, 05:06:38 PM »
Persona 4: Finished the Striptease.

So far so good. The game is really an improvement on P3 in several regards. The plot goes more smoothly because a small-town supernatural murder mystery fits a group of high schoolers better than P3's threat did. Cast is fun, with the exception fo Teddie who should be seen and not heard. Main is more likable than Minato! This means absolutely nothing because he's still a silent stand-in for the player, which is lame. Other cast members are plenty of fun (especially like Yukiko's... darker side), and "You feel as if a million showers will not make you clean" is now one of my favorite lines.

Gameplay:
Is P3 +++. This is pretty much a good thing. Bosses are... well, the plot ones are a lot more competent so far. We'll see how everything else goes.

Striptease boss was disturbing. Those were... very realistic motions, to say the least... But it was still less wtf than the Bath House boss, who was just mind boggling in design. Yeah, P4 bosses are neat like that.

I'm somewhat disappointed that they rehashed P3 for Persona 4, but P3 was a decent enough game so polishing it up a few notches works. That really should have been done for FES instead though. Oh well, it's still fun.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 05:08:15 PM by Cryo »

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5137 on: December 30, 2008, 05:41:52 PM »
Final Fantasy XII: Started it. A boy and a girl are getting married. Then the boy runs of to war. A lot of fighting is going on between armored guys wearing armor that apparently are made of hardened toilet paper as they seem to offer no protection whatsoever. Two important guys, the earlier mentioned boy and an older, but still young, man, are however not wearing helmets. The enemies correctly identifies that as an "important target here, shoot" sign and does exactly that, ending the boy's life.

Eventually the scene shifts over to Reks, who seems to be the main character and I get to play the game. Actually, first Basch, the surviving helmet less guy, has to teach Reks some important lessons such as "to look left and right, turns your head left and right respectively." In any case, Reks turns out to be rather cool. He's in a war situation and it's apparent that it's taxing him, but he manages to maintain control over himself and act properly in face of the situation. It's amazing how Square suddenly decided to make such a cool main.

Wait, he gets killed by Basch and the main is actually Vaan, Reks' brother. Let's see what kind of guy this Vaan fellow is then.

His goal in life is to steal from people, from the sky none the less. He has a temper problem when it comes the soldiers occupying the city and seem dead set on smashing his head against their fists (hasn't happened yet, but he sure tries.) He also likes to melodrama about how his life sucks.

Damn, I hope Basch hangs his head in shame when he finds out he killed the wrong brother!

Anyway, pretty soon Vaan gets a job. He is supposed to kill a certain monster near the city and he gets a pass that allows him to leave the city. Vaan is smart enough to preempt the question of where he got that pass by first fabricating a reason and then show the pass. Unfortunately, he decides to be an ass towards the soldier and in his attempt to scare the soldier, he suddenly turns a simple lie much less believable. Fortunately however, the soldier is a moron and swallows it all instead of just punching Vaan.

Once the job's done, Vaan again tries to pick a fight with the soldiers. This time a merchant guy and Penelo, a friend of Vaan intervenes.

As I understood it, it has been two years since Vaan's country was occupied. He still hasn't calmed down. Penelo must be a very patient girl.

Anyway, one high up from the occupying forces, Vayne, is holding a speech. He seems to be a decent fellow and even get the citicens from the occupied city to applause. Vaan is of course not applauding. Penelo doesn't seem to happy either, maybe she realizes that impressive speech or not, Vayne is hardly going to be the rainbows and butterflies kind of guy.

Once I get back the control of Vaan, I have him pick another hunting job. That seems like a dangerous way of making a living, but he already seems dead set picking the most dangerous route and may just as well make some honest coin if he's going to risk his life anyway.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5138 on: December 30, 2008, 09:41:15 PM »
It is not like the Sphere Grid end of argument.

yeah okay grefter whatever you say

Unoriginal

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5139 on: December 31, 2008, 12:59:44 AM »
ToS2:  Not much beyond where I was at last post, mostly been chewing through sidequests.  Monsters level much, much faster than the PCs past a certain point, the only thing keeping the two of them useful is their skillsets and the latest wave of craftable gear offering substantial passive boosts beyond the listed stat increases.  A couple of monsters are waiting on statues to hit their tier four forms, but my Fenrir's probably going to get punted back down to it's base form and raised up another path at some point, probably in a few (dozen) more levels to make the most of the transfer bonus.  Which is going to be substantial, seeing as it's HP, Dex and attack power are better than both of the PCs combined, and it's physical defense isn't far off from being the same.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5140 on: December 31, 2008, 02:34:17 AM »
LFT Hard mode: Chapter 2! Lots of fun, see the LFT topic for more.

MK- Started C4. Just got Flay/Pamela. Flay's random Jeebus comment made me laugh at least.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #5141 on: December 31, 2008, 02:53:13 AM »
Dissidia:

Alright, it's entirely possible I'm reading it wrong, but I just got to a point in Frionel's story where he starts angsting to Cosmos that everyone else has more personality than he does - Cecil's worried about his brother, Tidus hates his father, Cloud's searching for his reason to fight, but him, he has nothing! Okay, so he said "purpose" or something like that instead of "personality", this still made me laugh on so many levels, not the least of which being my general disdain for FF2, so I hope I'm translating it correctly.

EDIT: Also, he is upset after literally being called a "tool" by the Emperor.

Overall, one of the most fun low-level characters I've played so far, too. "Get over here!" indeed.

-Djinn
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 02:55:46 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5142 on: December 31, 2008, 02:56:40 AM »
Firion's a project. Master some of his moves and he gets some preposterously good HP attacks. Also he hits really friggen hard.

Ryogo

• DOC!
  • Denizen
  • Somebody call for a medic?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5143 on: December 31, 2008, 03:09:49 AM »
Ahaaaaaa.  I went to Gamezilla (A local gaming store) today to try and get a copy of the Arkham Horror board game and a Dreamcast controller.

I couldn't find the board game, but found a sealed copy of DDS1 for 50 bucks, so I grabbed that instead, along with the DC controller and a expansion for my Munchkin Cthulhu game. My buddy, who drove me up, started looking through the used game bin, so I joined him after buying my stuff, starting at the other end.

Good thing I did, because I found a copy of Phantom Brave inside for $9.95.  Real good condition too, it seems. A couple of light scratches on the disk, and a piece of tape with a rental code (or that's what it looks like) on the disk, manual, and case. Peeled them all off, with almost no damage. Only a tiny speck ripped of the manual's cover.

Needless to say, I'm one happy customer today! My friend was a little sad though, had he seen it there himself he would've snatched it right up. He picked up a copy of Soul Nomad though for a 20 sheet. I haven't heard much about it, is it any good?

Also, only one more day until this thread is obsolete :(
Poor 2008. We'll miss you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 03:12:51 AM by Ryogo »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5144 on: December 31, 2008, 03:32:09 AM »
Soul Nomad is a damn good game, and so is PB. Both are definitely worth playing.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5145 on: December 31, 2008, 04:42:27 AM »
What I have left:

1. Kill 1000 zombies with the turret. Last I checked I was at a hundred or so, this is going to take some time.  200 or so down

2. Melee a zombie to death from behind. Shouldn't be a problem.

3. Kill a Tank all by myself. The first problem is not having the other survivors attack, the second one is actually surviving to do it.

4. Headshot a Witch. This is extremely tricky and I doubt I'll be getting it anytime soon.

5. Kill 53,595 zombies. Yeah  10,000 down, 43, 595 to go

6. Go through an entire campaign without needing to heal. This isn't as bad as it sounds because becoming incapacitated and/or dying doesn't stop you from getting this; All you have to do is be alive at the end. 

7. Go through an entire campaign using only the pistol(s). This is probably what I'm going to go after next time I do a full campaign. As long as I have a competent group and don't get overly adventurous I should be alright.

8. Go through a campaign without ever disturbing a Witch. The main problem here is your teammates.

9. Heal 25 people. I think I have 8 or 9 left to go? In any case, this is just a matter of time.

10. After summoning a rescue vehicle, no survivors can take damage. On Easy, maybe, but this looks to be hard as fuck. Have had precisely one attempt so far, on Dead Air. We were doing pretty good until the Tank started lobbing concrete and scored a lucky hit. At least I know it's possible, if you get in just the right position.

Recent revelations:

The turret sucks. Sure, it spits out bullets fast enough, but the range sucks, you can't protect your flanks unless someone is keeping an eye on you, the gun overheats, zombies move too fast for you to have much luck just sweeping it back and forth, and the Special Infected will be on your ass before you even come close to killing them most of the time. No wonder that Achivement is such a pain in the ass.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5146 on: December 31, 2008, 07:18:07 AM »

Go fuck yourself sideways with a bus and come back with a decent argument.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5147 on: December 31, 2008, 07:29:54 AM »

Go fuck yourself sideways with a bus and come back with a decent argument.

According to you the argument is over.

I've already said my piece anyways.

---

Persona 4 - Finished Void Quest.  Best dungeon ever?  Perhaps.  Boss was pretty tough too.  Now I've gone back into the TV to try and find rare materials and the enemies aren't coughing them up.  How annoying.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5148 on: December 31, 2008, 07:40:13 AM »
Yeah argument is over because you brought an argument about as effective as a fruit cup in a multiple choice exam.  If you wanted to drop it you should have just fucking dropped it instead of being a condescending dismissive bitch.  So yeah, continuing with the fuck you.

Monkeyfinger

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5149 on: December 31, 2008, 08:17:47 AM »
Tal gets to be condescending and dismissive because he was right. That's how things work on the internet.