Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 473624 times)

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #625 on: February 04, 2008, 03:53:41 AM »
Keep going, Trips. You're almost done!

Soul Nomad: Evil path finished. The penultimate battle wasn't so bad after all. Granted, this may be due to the fact that I took the time to get ten extra levels on all my units (extra for the main's team just because you can't not use it in inspections, so whereas most of my army was closing in on level fifty, the main's team was in the mid-sixties) and put together some broken decor setups. Eight shots of Demon Blast? Eleven shots of Static Lance? Yeah, the forces of Good didn't stand much chance. Nuke From Orbit pretty much describes what happened there. The actual last battle...took two tries due to me being stupid and incautious. I knew I'd have to send my best team after *spoilers* due to her freakish evade making her unhittable for most of my army--so I unthinkingly sent in the main's team instead of the Dracosage squad which, y'know, is set up in a room that makes them ignore evasion (since the class otherwise has difficulty hitting a fucking barn). D'oh. Yeah, bad things happened, and we saw the "Congratulations, you failed to destroy the world" ending. Which I guess was a good thing to get out of the way before starting a new cycle, so hey. Second attempt at the last battle came off pretty much flawlessly apart from tackling Raksha at the end. Bastard chewed through all but two squads before dying. The "good" ending for the Evil path was suitably warped, considering what preceded it.

So yeah, fun game. Said it before and I'll say it again: people need to be clubbed into playing this. I'll...work out a longer review post with more rambling tomorrow. I am sick and early bed sounds like a very good thing indeed, but it's probably winding up with the 8-9/10 games.

And, a question for those who've played it: I picked up the Reveal Path 1 edict once I had enough cash for it, but the item is unusable (always grayed out, in battle and in the shops). Is there a specific point in the game I need to use this? I know it gets me Lujei, which is groovy and something I want to see.

Unoriginal

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: February 04, 2008, 05:25:47 AM »
You just need to have it, if memory serves.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: February 04, 2008, 05:45:45 AM »
FE6: Beat Chap 13! Then realized the desert is next and didn't feel up to it.

MM5: Finished this, bustered all bosses without using any E-Tanks during them.  Pissed off cause I got Wily to within 1 shot before I died, which was caused by me attempting a jump but accidentally sliding instead! ;_;

Fun and such, about what I remember from MM5!

DMC3: Working copy, yay! Anyway, beat Virgil.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: February 04, 2008, 06:18:53 AM »
WA3 - Okay, now I have to search for Nidhogg. The hints are rather vague, which means I'm probably FAQing the location. Should switch Mediums around a bit - seriously considering swapping Fire Rage to Virginia, while Clive gets Flash Hit and Lucky Hand. I know he makes the most use of the attack boost, but Fragile is probably more useful on her, and Devastate is -definitely- more useful on her, sooooooo. I'll miss the overkill evade boost, but eh, Virginia can dodge fine without that. She'll only get hit like half the time instead of essentially never, anyway. Granted, she -does- like the HP. Eh, I'll tinker with it and see if it's satisfying.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: February 04, 2008, 10:30:10 AM »
You just need to have it, if memory serves.

Ah, some FAQ trawling indicates that it kicks in after battle 38 of the main path...so yeah, warp speed replay is in order.

EDIT: Oh, also, do you ever get more than six room locks?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 12:58:24 PM by El Cideon »

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: February 04, 2008, 01:55:45 PM »
No, sadly. So basically 8 optimal rooms (6 locks + Home + one Changed room) is the maximum you can realistically shoot for.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: February 04, 2008, 08:52:57 PM »
WA3 - Hueg C2 was hueg. C3 is even longer? O_o Granted, not complaining, everything felt fairly easy. Malik is a -whore-. Makes me thankful that I slapped Confuse immunity on Virginia, though, otherwise, that fight would've been a nightmare. Leehalt was hilariously sad, though. So easy to goad into Valiant low-HP Virginia Gatlings (granted, totally unnecessary, but I just like watching her dish out 10-15k on a single go. Harvesting those Mini Carrots was a good idea, indeed). Balasz was about as abusable, helped by the fact Cosmic Cog+Gale Claw Jet consistently outsped him. Cute gimmick, though. Janus suffering the death of a dog is -fine- with me, to boot.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: February 04, 2008, 08:56:19 PM »
Disgaea 2: Just got my first 1000 power weapon. Holy Axe after going through item world. Average level is 80, still at the start of chapter 10.

Random: Holy fuck did the item general outclass me. Dragon with 20k HP and the ability to OHKO anyone but Rance and Adell.  The rare infernal armor that boosted his defense to 7000 was just cruel as well. Was still worth dragging the fight out for the EXP, his level 120 support was great for getting Adell a much needed ten levels or so.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: February 04, 2008, 11:57:21 PM »
OS-King Gallon isn't that bad. Shock. He does have a bad habit of having his heads pop up at juuuuust the wrong moment. Had another Thought You Were Going To Win This Time Eh Well Guess What Motherfucker Here Comes An Attack That Has A Split Second Window Of Avoidance moment, which killed any drive to play.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: February 05, 2008, 03:29:44 AM »
Soul Nomad: After spending too much time doing inspections, I now have nine rooms which are capable of housing nine units each. Score! The rooms themselves aren't precisely ideal (Gladiatorium x3, Loki's Fortune x2, Los Bandidos, In the Grotto, Demon's Bed, and the longstanding Pit Boss), but I got tired of shuffling. Anyway, four out of five are easy to upgrade, which is a bonus of sorts. I know have 650K RP to dump on people! It was 750K, but I decided to give my main another Range boost. Because having a full party capable of using melee attacks from two spaces away wasn't unfair enough. (Pretty much every front-row attack in the game fails to work if the enemy squad isn't in an adjacent map square). My main and his/her (right now it's a he--you can switch the gender and name on a new cycle--for possible ending differences) party are closing in on level 100...pretty much the rest of the army is still in the fifties, though. Oh well. Still more than enough to grind the maingame into dust, which is what we shall proceed to do next.

Crystalgate

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: February 05, 2008, 04:34:43 AM »
Xenogears: Went trough the first encounter with Id where he caused a lot of destruction. Then the game froze, but fortunately not before letting me save.

Some highlights: I got to beat up a brat. This cost me the wedding dress, but who can resist beating the snot out of a brat? Elly also made something useful, then not so long afterwards she caused a lot of drama although the latter required a lot of help from Fei's side. Then there was the ID issue.

I managed to get Fei's gear destroyed. The NPC soldiers won the fight for me though, humiliating as it was. Either the game is harder than I thought or I did something seriously wrong. I probably could have gotten some better deathblows for Fei. His level is high enough to learn some new ones, but there haven't been much oppertunity for me to learn them unless I grind. Maybe I should do that.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: February 05, 2008, 04:42:36 AM »
Soul Nomad: After spending too much time doing inspections, I now have nine rooms which are capable of housing nine units each. Score! The rooms themselves aren't precisely ideal (Gladiatorium x3, Loki's Fortune x2, Los Bandidos, In the Grotto, Demon's Bed, and the longstanding Pit Boss), but I got tired of shuffling. Anyway, four out of five are easy to upgrade, which is a bonus of sorts. I know have 650K RP to dump on people! It was 750K, but I decided to give my main another Range boost. Because having a full party capable of using melee attacks from two spaces away wasn't unfair enough. (Pretty much every front-row attack in the game fails to work if the enemy squad isn't in an adjacent map square). My main and his/her (right now it's a he--you can switch the gender and name on a new cycle--for possible ending differences) party are closing in on level 100...pretty much the rest of the army is still in the fifties, though. Oh well. Still more than enough to grind the maingame into dust, which is what we shall proceed to do next.

You can increase the slots in the rooms by exploring the free dungeons. So you don't have to shuffle them wth 9 slots from the slot. It is pretty easy to make up if you already have 7 or 8 slots.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: February 05, 2008, 04:54:23 AM »
Harvey Birdman - Kind of fun, but more of a set of 5 episodes of the show with very light adventure gameplay mixed in.  Kind of neat, but not worth retail prices at release.

TLJ: Dreamfall - This game pretty much went nowhere.  Vague explanations to a plot with no closure that has barely any actual effect on the series setting within the game itself.  There is some big plot pieces for the setting there!  But they all happened before the game.  Worth the cheap price it is on Steam probably.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: February 05, 2008, 05:16:27 AM »
WA3 - I maxed Full Carrot growth for no reason other than "hey, I can". I haven't used a single Full Carrot in battle yet, and I still haven't found a Mega Berry to harvest. <___< Ahem. For plot, going to the World's Footprint. Hooray for coordinates when I'm too lazy to explore.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: February 05, 2008, 05:18:44 AM »
Mega Berry takes a long time to show up, that is probably the only Garden usable item that is remotely balanced for when you first get one.  Because oh noes if you give away the Full Carrot you get first up you won't get another one for ages!  Except that the garden is soooo abusable >_>

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: February 05, 2008, 05:25:22 AM »
The garden is the most abusable thing ever. ACF made sleep not trigger growth flags anymore for a reason. For someone who enjoys simple item farming (like I do), the process of sleeping twenty times and then collecting billions of sexy items is addictive. Have I mentioned I maxed Tiny Flowers, too? <_<

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: February 05, 2008, 05:30:40 AM »
MMZXA: Beat Prometheus and Pandora. EPIC PLOT TWIST, MEGA MAN PLOT, etc.  I expect the final dungeon is next, but with Modern Mega Man games these days, its hard to as hell to tell (mostly cause the general lay out of MMZX games is...completely different from the rest of the series.)

FE10: Beat Chap 2 of Part 3!  Forgot to kill the priest with the Recover Staff, though did steal a bunch of stuff, including that godly STATUE FRAG! (hey, FE10 actually starves you for cash, and its a nice extra 4k <_<.)  Also nabbed a Steel Sword (hey, free weapons can't hurt!), Elthunder (...probably going to sell it), and a Coin.

Yeah, definitely taking the stealing thing a lot more seriously this time, since FE10's money issues make any item you can get your hands on, even simple stuff like Steel Swords, helps you out.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: February 05, 2008, 05:31:34 AM »
I see you faced my favorite boss fight in ZXA. And yes, you're done with the game soon.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: February 05, 2008, 05:42:40 AM »
I did exactly the same thing Snow.  Mashing accept and tapping down a few times at a place it costs nothing to sleep, win.  It is so simple.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: February 05, 2008, 02:32:01 PM »
Soul Nomad:  Up to having five rooms.  Enemies have insane survival luck for some reason, leaders have survived with single digit HP around ten times now.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: February 05, 2008, 02:54:25 PM »
You can increase the slots in the rooms by exploring the free dungeons. So you don't have to shuffle them wth 9 slots from the slot. It is pretty easy to make up if you already have 7 or 8 slots.

Oh, I know that. That's how I got nine full rooms.

Taishyr

« Reply #646 on: February 05, 2008, 04:13:07 PM »
Persona 2: At the Sky Museum. Breaking the game already.

Summon Night: Pratty vs. Something in a Volcano. Also, emoJade is emo. News at 11.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: February 05, 2008, 08:13:59 PM »
WA3 - Okay, so I ended up using a Full Carrot against Raftina. Good thing, too, the Extension Reflect => own strategy only dropped on my head a bit late (I.e. when Virginia died), and Weaken => Refrigerate was MT borderline 2HKOing people at 100FP. That's insane. Granted, completely worth it, since Raftina is drool-worthy. Weaken+magic boosts of yesiu.jpg will make Gallows a complete beast against bosses, and it's not like he needed to be -any better- against randoms. I'm now jotting down locations, Millenium Puzzle locations and Idol requirements. Open-ended chapter.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: February 05, 2008, 11:32:38 PM »
Soul Nomad: This game hates me!

Plot battle was awesome though.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: February 06, 2008, 12:03:56 AM »
OS-Chapter 4 of the final chapter now. Had a few more fuck you moments with Gallon, but finally managed to snuff him out. Onyx was actually pretty easy, I was surprised. I did have lots of Unlimited POW with Mercedes, though. Probably just going to suck it up and go get some Painkillers for Velvet in preperation for the Cauldron.

Question: Do I have to replay through the entire final chapter to get more shit for Velvet, or can I just get the stuff and then leave?
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.