Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 472160 times)

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #850 on: February 20, 2008, 10:15:10 AM »
FE8 time, takes a whole 12 IRL hours on an Emulator.  I forgot how F'ing easy this game was, and that endgame levels are nothing compared to FE7.

Eirika- 20/11- Weak ass attacks, rape evade
Ephraim- 20/11- Slaughters everything
Tethys- 20- Dancer!
Vanessa- 20/14- Not Tana, but solid
Neimi- 20/11- Standard archer
Colm- 20/13- More useful than FE7 Thiefs
Lute- 20/14- Nino that you get in chapter 3 basically (Yet Nino was easier to get to 20/20!)
Kyle- 20/13- Fun with Axes
L'Arachel- 20/19!!- Kicks so much ass once she promotes (Warp abuse makes promoting easy)
Marisa- 20/7- Rapes, but lack of range hurts
Joshua- 20/10- See Marisa

So... in FE7 I had EVERYONE I used at 20/20 for Dragon without any trouble, and all but 4 of them did 0 damage to Dragon.  In this game I have no one maxed, and they can all hurt the final boss with super weapons.  Hell, if I had everyone at 20/20 they could take on Fort without actually using any superweapons, something that might be impossible or annoying as all hell in FE7.  (Nil's dances might make it possible, but yeah.)

Sooo... yeah still enjoy the game, but forgot how wtf easy it is.  This is without going to the ruins at all, and only running the tower one time straight through.

Highlight of the game-  Devilaxe on Kyle getting him from D (maybe C) rank Axes to S rank in under a minute.  Holding space for like 250% frameskip of course, but still F'ing awesome.

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: February 20, 2008, 01:55:52 PM »
Interesting that someone else here plays Billy vs. Snakeman... Just remember.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Stay out of Hiro Gama! Thank goodness you aren't part of the Andromeda alliance, otherwise I'd have to bingo you out of principle. ^^

It is a fun game, though. It's small enough that individual players can make an impact, and the rate of new content is very good. Plus it's got a pretty solid parody sense of humor, and solid art for a webgame of this type.

Also, back in the day when I first signed up, the Mods gave me a bonus item just because I had a Balrog Avatar. That's something everyone can approve of.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 02:00:22 PM by Mad Fnorder »

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: February 20, 2008, 04:04:14 PM »
Front Mission: Gun Hazard.

Tried this, got through the first sub-area of the game.

Actually seems pretty okay for a Square ARPG/platformer...thingy.

Granted, the fact that they evidently ripped off half the coders of Cybernator(The horribly named, but rather solid, mech platformer.) helps. Game really does play like that, outside of the weird RPG elements. Dunno if I'll bother to beat it, but it's not bad...just not really in the mood right now.

Disgaea:

Unlocked Majins, got Prier. Probably pretty close to done with this aftergame, in that I'll probably get disgusted and wander off before beating Baal. Took me 15 hours to get this far... Sigh.
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: February 20, 2008, 11:55:17 PM »
On the topic of interesting skills, the final seems to have a skill that makes him ignore Alert status, but I'm not entirely sure on the specifics.

Alkide has the skill Senshin Barrier that makes him ignore certain Senshin command. Though, I don't have the actual list of which senshin spells he ignores, nor howmany time it triggers in aturn.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: February 20, 2008, 11:58:37 PM »
I just started playing that at Magic's bequest too, Fnorder. Only level 13, of course, but it's a fun enough time waster. I've somehow already gotten lil' Whitey to 4000 friend points in the three days I've played it. >.>

Woo Party House lotto!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 12:00:16 AM by Hunter Sopko »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: February 21, 2008, 03:36:12 AM »
to celebrate having a decent computer, started that crazy Touhou thing.  Playing Mountain of Faith, have gotten as far as getting ganked hardcore by Aya.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: February 21, 2008, 04:37:45 AM »
ST-So the game has decided that it's okay to just throw shitloads of high level enemies at you. I don't approve. Game would probably be easier if I bothered recruiting but ehhhhhhh effort. I'm getting shit all for Potch even with A ratings. And of course now they start throwing shitloads of new equipment and weapon sharpenings at me. Mrrrr.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: February 21, 2008, 03:44:03 PM »
Hey, Crazy FE guys! Hey, Crazy FE guys!
Design me a support chain with the following characters, and include alternate branches of different people I can plug in to make it work.

I'm definitely using Hector, Eliwood, Lyn, Ninian (might not need support for), Matthew, Sain, Rath, Lucius, Serra, and Florina.

I need two people to stick in to make a completish party. The better they support, the better. I have blackballed using Kent.

EDIT
This strikes me as impossible to make into an unbreakable chain. Poop.

EDIT 2
Ok, not impossible, but I needed to include Ninian. I wound up with a chain of:
Hector -> Matthew -> Guy -> Rath -> Lyn -> Florina -> Ninian -> Eliwood -> Hector
And a chain of
Sain -> Serra -> Lucius -> Priscilla -> Sain

So there. I did the leg work myself. Could someone who's super-knowledgeable about the system tell me which lines would be better As and B's?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 04:27:20 PM by Veryslightlymad »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: February 21, 2008, 06:54:48 PM »
Okay. Generally you want to have A's when both elements are defensive, or both elements are offensive.

Offensive: Wind, Fire, Light [Anima]
Defensive: Thunder, Ice, Anima [light]

Anima/Light kinda count as both, since Power/Def suffer the most from roundoff and Anima/Light provide both those stats. Darkness, similarly, counts as neither.

This suggests:

Matthew/Guy (offence)
Eliwood/Hector (defence)
Lyn/Florina (offence)

Except if you go for all three, those will be your only A's in that chain, which kinda sucks. An alternative would be for Lyn/Florina to settle for B and then you'll get Ninian/Florina, Rath/Lyn A's. Still another problem, though: A supports with Ninian are pretty much a waste. So... you might just want to go with the first three A's I listed. It means Rath never gets an A with anyone, but you tie up one less support level with Ninian and have better overall boosts. Since Rath joins late anyway, this is probably the best bet.

The second chain is easier. Sain/Priscilla are both Wind, so they match up perfectly. And Serra/Lucius at least both provide full boosts to Defence. So having both of those as A's is the easy choice.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: February 21, 2008, 07:36:02 PM »
FE 10- Date had a free blockbuster game rental, he decided to go for an RPG since he knew I liked them, and I had played every RPG there besides FE 10 and Thousand Arms. We played about 7 chapters switching off. Game seemed very clunky and less streamlined than the FE ones, and the writing was...not at all good. He kept hemorraghing characters during the switch offs and I kept accidentally pressing the auto scene skip button (Why the hell would you put that next to the confirm?). Eventually he lost Volug and our time with the game was put to an end.
...into the nightfall.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: February 21, 2008, 10:54:27 PM »
DomaDragoon: Any interest in stat-topicing the game? >_> <_<;

Which? XS2? Not likely, I'm cheating my way through to get through it as quickly as possible.

FFTA? Already on it, I'll have damage/accuracy notes from the starting classes just as soon as I determine legality for certain equipment that's theoretically infinite, but drops only. Of course, I believe we're all familiar with my empty promises of actually doing anything.

PoR? I hadn't thought of that. Maybe...

Taishyr

« Reply #861 on: February 21, 2008, 11:07:34 PM »
FFTA. I'd offer to help, but it's FFTA; I'd probably explode if I touched it again.

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: February 22, 2008, 03:58:05 AM »
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney - Finished.

I won't drop any spoilers, but I'll definitely say it was a very worthy PW game despite having a nearly entirely different cast. Great writing/gags as always, and it used elements from PW1 case 5 throughout, which was nice. Definitely a 9/10 game at the least for me.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: February 22, 2008, 04:34:24 AM »
OS: Finished Gwen's Quest, then did the first chapter of Cornelius.

Ok, Gwen's story wasn't bad and Gwen herself was decent enough.  HOWEVER, what was bad was making her the starting character.  She's...not really a good person to introduce the system too.  A bit awkward for playing as, clearly relies on some niches, what have you.

Why do I say this? Cause when I played as Cornelius, he plays MUCH smoother and is generally simpler.  He really feels like a much better beginner character.  I suppose starting with Gwen makes sense if its for some plot reasons (like they'll openly talk about events from Gwen's quest in spoiler fashion in Cornelius'...no, no one tell me if that's the case, I wanna find out on my own), but the point remains that from a gameplay standpoint, Cornelius is just generally much better starting character.  I'm not saying "he's a better PC!", rather, he's just a lot more basic in terms of controlling.

ANYWAY, game has some serious polish issues still.  I'll bring up one that no one can argue against, and hold off subjective complaints later:
Battle against the Queen of the Dead.  Ok, so the idea behind the fight isn't too bad; she likes to summon swarms of OHKO bait enemies just to annoy you.  Fine, sure, I'll accept that; bosses need a niche or something.

What they do NOT need is to OVERWHELM THE DAMN SYSTEM to the point where the game starts suffering from these massive slow downs.  It made the fight a lot more annoying than it should have been.  Its like the game went "Ok, here's a not pain in the ass fight...but we're going to make it hard and annoying just cause we hate you by resorting back to old NES Slow down issues! I hope you enjoy!"
ARGH! No, that's...just unforgivable in this day and age.  I mean, it was pissing me off enough that Dr. Wily's Oilman attack in MMPU slowed the game down, but even then, that was just one attack in an entire fight (out of like 8 or so), and you could stop it prematurely before the Slow Downs started.  OS, though, I was constantly killing the little creatures not cause they were actually getting in the way, but cause they were causing the massive slow down.

Anyway...

Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles: Yeah, bought this last week.  Just finished one route, learning apparently there are multiple routes, so went back and started doing some of the alt stages...including actually unlocking Maria once I learned what that Key was for.

Also unlocked SotN too, played it a bit, but not really enough to comment on the game besides how it feels a lot more like a Vampire/Undead theme version of Metroid rather than a Castlevania.  I mean this in a purely objective sense, mind.

I wanna comment on the game, though I feel my opinion might change a bit when I play more of it.  So yeah, reserving my judgment for now.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: February 22, 2008, 04:39:46 AM »
AWDoR:  S ranked all Campaign missions, currently have four of the major medals (time played, S-ranks, objects destroyed, and maps played).

FF3DS:  Picked up my mages-only file.  Garuda was a bitch.  Odin got me a couple of times until I leveled up a bit to survive Zantetsushikigamakenanwhatever.  Abused Leviathan's Cave a bit for the experience (only 3 trips!).  Leviathan itself died massively quickly.

Current party is White Mage Refia, Red Mage Ingus, Black Mage Arc, and Evoker Luneth.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: February 22, 2008, 09:39:31 AM »
Touhou stuff: I fail less now! Marginally! Decided to try IN Normal again after clearing Easy with all four teams. Success! I failed it up pretty badly against Kaguya, but I came in with enough lives to offset that, at least. Used Reimu/Yukari, though anything other than the Magic team is fine.

Replay! Since I know Snow will ask: http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=654

After that, finally 1cced PCB Easy. Hey, stop laughing! It's harder than IN for me. Yuyuko just rips me to shreds. I was down to my last life and out of bombs when I won. Linkage again: http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=655

Also 1cced EoSD Easy with Marisa. Normal isn't happening on that one any time soon.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: February 22, 2008, 09:39:15 PM »
SO3 - Wow, Peppita is not a bad PC. I'm just messing around with the Eternal Sphere now, gonna pick Fayt up some levels to make the Albel duel fail (as he is, I can definitely win, but the fight would involve actual effort. No-no) and then BREAK EVERYTHING TO HELL WITH BATTLE BOOTS SYNTHING. Why? Why not.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #867 on: February 22, 2008, 10:09:34 PM »
SO3 - Wow, Peppita is not a bad PC. I'm just messing around with the Eternal Sphere now, gonna pick Fayt up some levels to make the Albel duel fail (as he is, I can definitely win, but the fight would involve actual effort. No-no) and then BREAK EVERYTHING TO HELL WITH BATTLE BOOTS SYNTHING. Why? Why not.

You really need to get in to the sealed floors of Sphere 211.

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: February 22, 2008, 10:34:40 PM »
Touhou stuff: I fail less now! Marginally! Decided to try IN Normal again after clearing Easy with all four teams. Success! I failed it up pretty badly against Kaguya, but I came in with enough lives to offset that, at least. Used Reimu/Yukari, though anything other than the Magic team is fine.

Replay! Since I know Snow will ask: http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=654

After that, finally 1cced PCB Easy. Hey, stop laughing! It's harder than IN for me. Yuyuko just rips me to shreds. I was down to my last life and out of bombs when I won. Linkage again: http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=655

Also 1cced EoSD Easy with Marisa. Normal isn't happening on that one any time soon.

To be fair, I've heard PCB has the hardest Easy mode of all of the Windows Touhou games (Partly thanks to Youmu), so it's nothing to be ashamed of.  Hell, I haven't 1CCed it on Easy yet.  So congratulations!  Or something.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: February 22, 2008, 11:34:33 PM »
xDDD

You going to use L10 Power Dance cancels with those Jo'ou? Max 9999 ATK early disc two = hax <_< >_> And even with a lower levelled Power Dance 8000+ ATK ain't too shabby. Though you only need around 4500 base ATK for even a L1 Power Dance to max it.

If it's DEF you're after with the boots though they won't really help as much durability wise for your damage dealers as your tanks (Fayt, Cliff, Mirage) since it's best to have Berserk turned on for your damage dealers and Berserk halves DEF so yeah. I usually use Convert damage to MP (Preserve HP), mp regen + mp plus factors for Maria/Nel/Peppita still every little helps so at least with max bopping you'll have max ATK and solid enough durability even at half DEF on Galaxy anyway especially if you've been building their HP values also :)

Peppita's also one of the best PC inventors both in talent level and refining (speed) so she's a good choice to help refine those boots if you can't be bothered recruiting Stanice/Balbados (and Balbados is hellishly expensive till post game anyway). I usually use Mirage/Peppita/Stanice on a line early on.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 11:37:09 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: February 22, 2008, 11:43:03 PM »
xDDD

You going to use L10 Power Dance cancels with those Jo'ou?

I mostly leave her on AI with Power Dance on both her X and O slots, which means she spams cancelled Power Dances like mad - for some reason, the AI likes cancelling. Offense-wise, she doesn't do much (MAGIC HOOKS OH NO), but the boosts are just too sexy, and the radius is sooooo worth it, too. Power Dance alone gives Peppita her money's worth to me, everything else is decent filler.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: February 23, 2008, 12:12:54 AM »

I mostly leave her on AI with Power Dance on both her X and O slots, which means she spams cancelled Power Dances like mad - for some reason, the AI likes cancelling.

Really? o_o

Wow. I want your copy of S03. Noaw
;p

My Peppita doesn't seem to like cancelling out of her dances which is why I control her with Power Dance > offensive move whilst Maria goes on the AI (symbology turned off) Then again most people try her AI with Power Dance > offensive move but maybe it only works with dance > dance combos? Either that or S03's AI freakily varies from copy to copy o_o

Offense-wise, she doesn't do much (MAGIC HOOKS OH NO), but the boosts are just too sexy, and the radius is sooooo worth it, too. Power Dance alone gives Peppita her money's worth to me, everything else is decent filler.

Noddity. I think Peppita may have a few more tricks up her sleeves for you yet though but yeah for a long time Power Dance is where it's all at. Maingame at least there is contest and (imo) no better ally for Maria. After that how long it remains useful is up the player really. It can be useful for saving factor slots on weapons for something else other than ATK boosting for example.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 12:14:43 AM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: February 23, 2008, 12:55:06 AM »
Disgaea:

Completed the aftergame...more or less. Beat Prinny Baal, that is. (Haven't killed an IG2, but meeeeeeeeh, why. I could, I have a Yoshitsuna I could run, but there's no point to me.)

Baal was...weird. I ended up getting a L6500 Surt by combining everything in the stage before him(common enough trick), teaching it Omega Heal, then slowly beating him to death.

This actually shouldn't work; His damage is way higher than the Surt's healing even with the fairly good equips I have and his stuff ripped off.

But he spams physicals at close range.

Okay...

Prinny Baal shouldn't have been beatable, but I recalled an obscure fact; Geo Change works on cleared maps.

Technically Prinny Baal's on one.

Reload until I draw Invunerability panels, steal his stuff, equip the Mk. II on the Surt, slowly beat him to death("slowly", it took half the time of standard Baal since I didn't need healing), laugh the entire time. Simple!

The only goal left is having Flonne solo the entire rest of the game and the Human World sub-area for two endings I haven't gotten yet. *Gives her a L100 Legendary Cosmic Blade, a somewhat leveled Arcadia, a Super Robot Suit and a Prinny Suit.* This should be fun. Go forth, Space Monster Flonne.
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: February 23, 2008, 01:39:39 AM »
G3: Started a couple days ago, got to where I talk with Drak. Plot/Characters so far are varying shades of generic and such, nothing hateworthy yet except Alonso's one scene of utter fail. Outside of that even he wasn't too bad though. So far all that's basically going in my "not good but by no means awful" category. I assume it gets worse later though.

Battle system though? Nice. Very nice. It's the same goodness as G2's battle system, only a bit more in depth, and actually gives you a reason to use some strategy. So far Kornell was the only boss that was honestly tough, though I had some close calls from randoms in Dragon Valley. Thunder Breath is hate.

Overall mostly a good game. Gameplay is good and the plot/characters don't offend me, so it's looking to be above average overall, unless things take a serious nosedive.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: February 23, 2008, 01:56:45 AM »
Nah, it doesn't get worse, the battle system gets harder and I think it's an improvement. Also less plot later until toward the end of the game.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!