Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 473282 times)

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #1000 on: March 05, 2008, 10:59:31 PM »
Pokemon Ruby!

Umm 3 manned Elite 4/Champion with 3 pokemon in their 40s... that is kind of sad.  I did use something like 80 hyper potions, but I figured at least one of the enemies would just overwhelm/OHKO me before I won.

Blaziken/Aggron/Mightyena used.  Got a Flygon now, and working on evolving my damn Feebas, but it's taking forever.  After that I'll find a 6th to round out my team and hit the battle tower.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: March 05, 2008, 11:03:55 PM »
VP2 - All I have to say about the game is "WHY DOES C6 EXIST". Conceptually, gameplay-wise and plotwise, all of the above. Man, it's just the most horrible way to end a game this side of XS3 that I can fathom. And the most stupid final boss fight ever. If they wanted to make a glorified plot fight that you can game over at, at least make one that doesn't involve slogging slowly through that crystal breaking idiocy that never threatens you but takes way too long. The game turns into a tragicomedy of errors in all ways in the end due to C6, it's incredible. God, I need some cleansing now.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: March 05, 2008, 11:15:35 PM »
The Crystal Breaking thing actually can be done really damned fast.

Attack Lezard -> Barrier breaks -> Use a Charge Break (raises AP to 100 at the cost of HP) -> Smite.

Should go down in about 3 turns or so.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: March 05, 2008, 11:30:23 PM »
... you can break the barrier by attacking Lezard?

Thanks, that'd have been nice to know back then instead of slugging for ten minutes against it.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: March 05, 2008, 11:53:40 PM »
Pfft, be a man.  Kill Lezard himself.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: March 06, 2008, 12:07:22 AM »
I did. He really enjoyed eating a 110k Nibelung Valesti and imploding.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: March 06, 2008, 12:56:50 AM »
Ys-Went through the mine, got the silver sword, etc. Do levels cap at 10 or what? Also, what's the plot trigger to get into that giant tower? I keep bugging the old lady but nothing happens.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: March 06, 2008, 01:25:34 AM »
They cap at level 10, yes. And triggering the tower is stupid, keep talking to everybody and look for the poet girl, is the best I can say.

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: March 06, 2008, 01:26:01 AM »
Go get a slip of paper on the world map and give it to Lair. THEN go bug Jeva.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: March 06, 2008, 02:22:55 AM »
Fire Emblem 4: Start of Chapter 7. Yay uberkids of death, Lakche got ten or eleven levels on the first map alone (Of course, Elite helps immensely with that). Took Johan, slayer of worlds, over Johaiva since I wanted Johaiva's Elite Ring for Celice, but Fee ended up getting it instead since he ran away~. Oh well, even Celice doesn't suck against the HAND AXE army.
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: March 06, 2008, 03:01:09 AM »
VP2 - All I have to say about the game is "WHY DOES C6 EXIST". Conceptually, gameplay-wise and plotwise, all of the above. Man, it's just the most horrible way to end a game this side of XS3 that I can fathom. And the most stupid final boss fight ever. If they wanted to make a glorified plot fight that you can game over at, at least make one that doesn't involve slogging slowly through that crystal breaking idiocy that never threatens you but takes way too long. The game turns into a tragicomedy of errors in all ways in the end due to C6, it's incredible. God, I need some cleansing now.

You try to compute C6 logically, which is a mistake in itself. Just enjoy Lezard's crazy laugh and move on.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: March 06, 2008, 03:19:16 AM »
Enjoying Lezard anything in C6 is asking for too much. He is essentially everything that is wrong with it.

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: March 06, 2008, 04:16:51 AM »
Enjoying Lezard anything in C6 is asking for too much. He is essentially everything that is wrong with it.

It's rather depressing VP2 managed to botch one of the few bright spots of VP1.  Having seen VP2's climax in action, I still wonder if the endgame was meant to be self parody. What do you think of VP2 now that you finished it?
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Pyro

« Reply #1013 on: March 06, 2008, 04:41:56 AM »
Oh bah. Its not that bad as RPGs go. Its not like we didn't know Lezard was a crazy Lenneth fanboy. The fanservicy nature of it all is what really felt off, as it didn't mesh well with the story up to that point.

Tangent rant: Mercedes' reaction to Gwen was perfectly reasonable. Under no circumstance was she going to trust someone related to Odin, especially not when said person is asking for the ring that controls the world's fate. Gwen playing nice would fit as one of Odin's schemes (he is a scheming bastard, after all). So from Mercedes' perspective Gwen was an invading soldier from an enemy nation who was asking for the power that would allow Ragnanival to conquer the world. As for Mercedes' change as a character? It was gradual enough. Mercedes started out as a 'valley girl' and had responsibilities shoved on her. Her growth corresponded with her experiences in being a leader and dealing with the issues involved. It wasn't a terribly sudden transition. She developed a little bit after retaking the homeland, reconstructing, dealing with Wagner, dealing with the wizards, forging Riblam, and finally taking down Odin.  Its not like it should take a 200+ episode animated series to tell the story of someone growing up and coming into their own, right?

Lost Odyssey: Bored now. Finished seeing all the dreams, ubered out my Immortals to be double-iteming, buffing, HP-tanking, element-nulling, status-immune, fast-casting, hard-hitting, status-whoring psychos. This was shockingly easy to accomplish. I suppose I should finish the game now but I sorta don't care. The plot is average at best and the characters do nothing for me.

Soul Nomad: Interactions between characters continue to be immensely enjoyable. Gig is an evil bastard stuck on the good side, and he retains his uniqueness by *really* being an evil bastard, instead of a bastard with a soft heart.  The combat isn't fun but the quick-action option allows it to be more or less painless. Just finished whipping the gypsy chick for the first time.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: March 06, 2008, 05:45:06 AM »

It's rather depressing VP2 managed to botch one of the few bright spots of VP1.  Having seen VP2's climax in action, I still wonder if the endgame was meant to be self parody. What do you think of VP2 now that you finished it?

It's kinda depressing, really. I started off a bit torn on the game, but generally liked it until all shit went down the fan. It was a different, still worthwhile, take on VP's rather unique mainframe - if generally inferior, mainly due to lacking VP's elegance.

Then, the lategame comes and the battle system becomes too repetitive and easy. Then, C6 comes and the game becomes mindbogglingly retarded. It was absurd enough to dock two points out of the game for me (from 7/10 to 5/10). It wasn't just the plot, but the overall design decisions that followed.

I still haven't done the aftergame, so there could still be some saving grace for the gameplay, which was interestingly designed but ultimately flooded down into pointlessness, but it'd hardly bring the game above a 6/10, methinks. The game did stuff right, did stuff wrong, then ultimately sank in one of the most horrible things I've ever seen to crush my hopes, but I liked the things done right enough to actually say that VP2 is at least somewhat average. It's a pity, too, VP1 is one of my most favorite games ever.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: March 06, 2008, 06:01:51 AM »
SotN: Beat the game! Got what I think is the bad ending!

Totally by accident mind!

Took me a while to figure out where I hadn't gone until I saw a spot that I definitely didn't realize was there before.  This ended up leading me to a whole new area and yeah.  Somehow opened a new path elsewhere, yada yada yada, got Bat Form, started exploring!
Apparently, one of the first places I started exploring led to what is (at least right now) the final boss and I didn't even REALIZE it was the Final Boss I was fighting!

Anyway, reserving thoughts until I actually, you know, the complete the game in a manner that isn't so half assed.

(No, I am not holding this against the game, as it was my own dumb luck that led me there.  And its not like there's anything to lose, barring time, by doing that.)

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: March 06, 2008, 06:04:07 AM »
I did. He really enjoyed eating a 110k Nibelung Valesti and imploding.

I meant in the crystal fight thing.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 06, 2008, 06:56:40 AM »
As soon as you do that pacifist EoSD no-focus Extra run you've been meaning to do.

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: March 06, 2008, 01:14:07 PM »
Pokemon Emerald:

Just beat Wattson.

Pretty fun this way, so far, though I'm going to have to hack in a couple of appropriate HM slaves because I lack any way to Fly(And I am not doing a Pokemon playthrough without Fly. No.). Maybe a Doduo and...a...something that I don't feel bad about dumping Waterfall and Dive on, not sure what.

Fights so far:

Roxanne: Awesome. At first glance this seemed a joke; I have two Waters, what could go wrong?

Well, L8 on everyone... turns out to be a little low for Roxanne, as the Geodudes OHKO Spheal before he can move. ._.

Chinchou has absolutely no problems going first(Speed boosting Nature even), though, and Bubble OHKOs two of them.

Then he gets to T-Wave Nosepass and die horribly in like two hits.

Long story short, I get down to having Beldum and Duskull left.

Duskull comes out, uses Disable(Learned at L8 or something) on the Nosepass. It hits! Sealing off Rock Tomb!

^_^ For the next five turns the silly nose can do nothing of note. Night Shade slooooooowly whittled it down. So slowly, in fact, that it wore off before killing it owing to some healing(Berry, I think.), but the one Rock Tomb *missed*. Talk about good luck, I figured I was going to have to level and instead got it on my first try.

Brawly:

His first Poke ate a couple but went down, his Meditite got outslugged by Houndour because he was a retard and literally used nothing but Focus Punch(Probably because of the Fighting weakness in part, but it's still hilarious.), and the L19 Makuhita that would have crushed my entire team easily(L10 or so? Against an L19? Three fighting weaknesses? Yeeeeeaaaaah.) got perfectly walled by Duskull. Ahahahaha. Goooooo skull.

Wattson:

Grhsjdfhjkdhlglklgklk DIE WATTSON. (The Metang's my highest level, for the record, the others were one or two levels lower.)

Seriously, I hadn't realized that even Marshtomp is, as counters go, just an average one, not a bad one. Initially Chinchou was going to go in and beat the hell out of the Gym! Volt Absorb! What could go wrong!?

How about the fact that those damned dogs spam Howl so my Bubble-using(SOOOOO should have leveled him once for Water Gun at L19.) Chinchou can't possibly kill them before they get rolling without T-Wave and Supersonic hax? Siiiiigh.

The final fight was awesome, too, after eight tries it came down to a 5 HP Metang against a 50% HP Manetric and damned if the T-Wave my Chinchou had used on it didn't kick in three times in a row for the kill. It was awesome.

Poke thoughts:

Beldum/Metang: SUPER MAGIKARP. Can hold it's own for the first failure 20 levels due to A: Take Down putting down a few things fairly well(90 power, just has so many downsides.) early on, and B: STEEL. It felt more like raising a Zigzagoon that didn't learn anything but Tackle than a Magikarp, really. Metang's well worth it, as it instantly became one of my best Pokemon due to learning both Confusion and Metal Claw instantly on L20(Then I taught it Rock Tomb because no one else could use it worth noting.). Probably going to be awesome from here on out, but I feel like I paid my dues for that. >_>

Chinchou: BUBBLE. Hey guys remember how awesome Piplup's offense is!? He's like that until L19. Good news: Starting T-Wave and(...L8 or so?) Supersonic is actually not THAT bad this early. He jumped massively in use just after Wattson due to the combination of Shock Wave(Sure, I get Shock at L25, but why wait? No one else is using Shock Wave.) and Water Gun. I should have leveled him before that for Water Gun, again. >_>

Spheal: Awesome earlygame skillset. Dual-STAB in Powder Snow and Water Gun, both of which actually hit weaknesses a fair deal early on! Gets Ice Ball at L13 and Body Slam at L19! Slow, though, and has weaknesses due to ice to the first two Gyms, limiting how awesome this is. Worse, Sealeo is L32, meaning he's going to be dragging for about seven levels from 25 to 32, I suspect. Well, he'll live. At least he'll have Surf for those levels. >_>

Houndour: I was silly to think he'd be overpowered for this; Mostly, he's not because while he starts with Ember(YAY!), the first two gyms also hit weakness on him and he doesn't hit weakness back(not yay) and he lacks a second STAB until you get Thief(YES THIEF HAS A USE AHAHAHAHA) and his entire learned skillset is trash for a while(HOWL. LEER. Wait what he doesn't even get Tackle. SMOG. Um. Now you're not trying.). He's pretty solid nonetheless, though, and he evolves pretty soon which is going to be fun.

Teddiursa: HM SLAVE YES. Actually I really do have Cut and Rock Smash on him...because his learned skillset is so bad and I won't have a lot of good TMs until the move forgetter anyways. Cut's great on him anyways, in part because of an attack+ Nature, good Attack base and STAB(Fun fact, the first Teddi had -Attack +Defense. This nature sucking, I decided to grab another and take anything that wasn't -Attack+something horrible for him and got the exact opposite +Attack-Defense nature. Go fig.). He has absolutely nothing else. Pity he couldn't learn Rock Tomb. Still, useful for what he is.

Duskull: MVP? Possibly, so far. Night Shade is good enough offense, he takes hits like nothing else, nulls out a lot of early game offense, and...actually his skillset outside of Night Shade and situational Disables(Which are about as good as Supersonic in general...) has not been much. It's mostly due to the earlygame not liking a G-G-G-G-Ghost; It's pretty hilarious to watch. I seem to recall similar stuff when I used a Sableye for a while, except he wasn't as good.
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: March 06, 2008, 09:23:47 PM »
Sage, HM mules.

Tropius/Sharpedo.  COmbined these two can use all 8 HMs.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 09:25:48 PM by Chapin »

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: March 07, 2008, 04:06:45 AM »
G2: What is with Grandia 2 and its insistence on sweeping panoramically through its villages the first time you enter even though they're not very interesting to look at? Sheesh. Anyway, did the Eye of Valmar stuff in Mirumu, the landlocked town that randomly has a shellfish theme to its decorations. The game is, if anything, easier than I remembered, and I haven't even bothered using skill books yet (partly out of laziness, partly because I just feel like sinking all my coins into special attacks--not that White Apocalypse is necessary or even particularly useful this early on, but hey, it's shiny). My memory is accurate in regards to Ryudo/Millenia being totally awesome, at least. For the time being.

Mm. I have to admit that I'm becoming curious about the possibility of Grandia gameplay with non-fail challenge. And hopefully I would at least find G3's mythically bad plot fun enough to mock that the repeated scenes of crashing airplanes would not induce braindeath? I don't know. Perhaps I should not have started to replay G2 if it leads me down the path to G3.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: March 07, 2008, 07:05:52 AM »
SotN: I could have sworn I checked most of the castle and had the right stuff on and...got the bad ending again.  Blech, will go and look for more!

Talking to my friend whose a massive fan of the game, he said that the secrets in the game and such are stupidly obscure to the point where even GUIDE BOOKS didn't know of them...like the whole second half of the game.

Character geared entirely around close range beat downs...and they give him Overload late ;_;.  More insultingly, they hand him freaking Cyclone as his 5th Psypher skill, aka the ability that's completely worthless barring early game when you don't really have much else for crowd control and such.

As a character...better than I expected.  Generally pulled off the heartless killer who gained actual emotions thing workable enough.  Its a cliche, sure, but its one that often is done kind of blandly, if not downright bad.  Oswald managed to do it better than most, which is something!  Not sure I care much for he himself, though, he gets points for despite being an Emo Angst Whore, he projected it with less of the "You don't know my pain, so go away!" and more of a "you don't know my pain, and its better that you never do!" (well, ok, it was "I was used as a tool, so I'll make sure you aren't!" but same difference.)

So yeah, Velvet next! Doubt I'll do her in one sitting for a variety of reasons.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: March 07, 2008, 01:34:25 PM »
SotN: I could have sworn I checked most of the castle and had the right stuff on and...got the bad ending again.  Blech, will go and look for more!

Two things:

1. If you just kill the boss as normal, you'll get the bad ending no matter what equipment you're wearing.
2. The rings aren't what you need to avoid ending the game, they're a way to get the thing you need. Check their descriptions.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: March 07, 2008, 01:38:20 PM »
Mm. I have to admit that I'm becoming curious about the possibility of Grandia gameplay with non-fail challenge.

Play Grandia Xtreme.

FF3DS:  Beat Cloud of Darkness on my original file to prep for my mages-only file.  Team was Ingus the Knight, Refia the Ninja, Luneth the Thief, and Arc the Devout, all level 57.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: March 07, 2008, 01:56:42 PM »
After a bit of playing, I've found myself puttering out on Valkyrie Profile again. So I started up Star Ocean 3 in the meantime. Liking it so far. Currently stopped in the Airyglyph Aqueducts.