Register

Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 473299 times)

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #1250 on: April 02, 2008, 01:38:33 AM »
Yay, Ultradude!  I'm in Demonic too (as Galuf).

Passed my Chunin exam today (got 7/10 on the exam, cheating 3 times).  Also got a super-rare item from the party wheel.  Wootness.

Edit:  I put you as a sparring partner Ultra, since we're close to the same level.  Put me too!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 01:45:17 AM by Captain K. »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: April 02, 2008, 01:50:00 AM »
SRW@2 - Beat map 23. Kusuha learned SP Regen. And she has Drive. Happy fun times for all are to be had.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: April 02, 2008, 02:01:53 AM »
I'll get right on it! I'm gonna try to get chunin in the next day or so. Just gotta keep that stamina built up...
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: April 02, 2008, 03:49:44 AM »
I feel all alone in my village. ;_;

Anyway, been spending three days trying to find TicTac so I can do the Reaper mission chain that leads to the sword.  >_>

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: April 02, 2008, 05:23:28 AM »
I feel all alone in my village. ;_;

Anyway, been spending three days trying to find TicTac so I can do the Reaper mission chain that leads to the sword.  >_>

Huh. I got TicTac on one of my first Reaper missions. Then got Robogirl and did thier little special mission, and got no reward from it because I didn't have enough freind points with TicTac or something. >_<
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: April 02, 2008, 05:38:09 AM »
I'm a Jonin, but I'm still rebuilding the levels I lost getting the sword. At 14/12/13 (39) at the moment not counting any bonuses, of which I have a lot. Got the Captain's Jacket and Tats today too.

I just beat SO3. I added on two Orihalcum to everyone's weapon, so it was pretty easy. Even then, I had to do a reset on Luther because I got caught in his ultimate then paralyzed. Second time around was a cinch, but he's easily Godlike.

Somewhat satisfying ending, too vague, but decent enough. Private endings were nice. Fayt's was hilarious though. Adray for the win. Fayt/Clair works for me! (Better than Sophia reproducing)

Fayt wasn't nearly as bad as advertised. His VA did have an incredibly annoying cry voice, but... I can't really hold it against Fayt as he reacted to almost all the circumstances presented to him in an understandable way. The only thing I can hold against him was a silly name. Cliff rocked the house, Nel was cool but sadly trailed off, Maria was also awesome. Sophia was terribly generic. Peppita joins the ranks of bubbly characters I like. Mirage needed more scenes. Roger, Adray and Albel were just kinda there, though Adray did make the most of his limited screentime with general awesomeness.

Good character work overall though, and good story, even with crazy twistness at the end. Battle system was much, much improved over SO2. General annoyances here and there, but nothing terrible and nothing like SO2 Death Lizards.

Originally planned to give it 8/10, but thinking it over, boosting it to 9/10.

I had planned to have Chaos Wars already, but since I'll have to wait, I'll go for Soppy's Annual Charity Case DL Votedrive Playthrough! This year's participant? None other than Vandal Hearts! (2007: AtL4, 2006: Shining Force, 2005: OB, 2004: Brig). By all accounts the game is short so it'll be perfect to wait the month.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 05:53:43 AM by Hunter Sopko »

Unoriginal

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: April 02, 2008, 05:57:38 AM »
I'll likely be picking up Jounin tomorrow, then it's either off to grind some A Ranks, or try out the higher-level Reaper missions.

Aside from that, picked up God Hand and Game-of-Tal earlier.  Messed around a bit with both of them, but not all that far in either yet.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: April 02, 2008, 06:03:05 AM »
WAXF

Five or six battles in or so.  Battles are starting to get competent.  Decent so far overall.  Early plot has been quite underwhelming, but not offensive.  Music hasn't really stood out (which is odd for a WA game).  All the classes I've tried so far seem reasonably interesting; they seem to have given interesting abilities to all of them.  Not sure I really understand the skill system yet, in that none of the skills I've set seem to have any effect.  I'm guessing this whole Class OC must merely enable other skills to be set, or something.  Otherwise, evasion is killing me in this game.  75% hit rate seems to mean I'm going to miss the first two attacks, and most stuff has a hit rate around that percentage.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: April 02, 2008, 06:07:18 AM »
You get the use of all the skills for a class when the character is that class, and other skills have to be equipped to the characters to use.  The OC skills allow you to use that classes skillset(like the Elementalist's magic attacks, etc.) on any class, for example.  So, when a character is in Elementalist, they have a 25% boost to their MAG stat, no matter what class level they are.  If you want to have that boost on another class, you have to level Elementalist to class level 7 to learn the skill and then equip it to the other class. 

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: April 02, 2008, 06:33:27 AM »
Fayt wasn't nearly as bad as advertised. His VA did have an incredibly annoying cry voice, but... I can't really hold it against Fayt as he reacted to almost all the circumstances presented to him in an understandable way. The only thing I can hold against him was a silly name. Cliff rocked the house, Nel was cool but sadly trailed off, Maria was also awesome. Sophia was terribly generic. Peppita joins the ranks of bubbly characters I like. Mirage needed more scenes. Roger, Adray and Albel were just kinda there, though Adray did make the most of his limited screentime with general awesomeness.

Wait, Fayt gets antihyped?  I thought most people, here at least, actually LIKE Fayt.  Only time I actually saw antihype for him was someone whining about the Ameena scene and...that was about it.

Anyway...

FFTLW: Finally completed.  Its FFT, that says everything right there.

Ok, the main thing this game deserves credit for over the original? Generally clearing things up in the plot, be it some things that were originally vague, aspects that weren't explained and just kind of tossed in (Wiegraf joining the Shrine Knights; yeah, it makes sense, but is still kind of sudden and it lasts purely for "Oh, rematch Ramza! BLARGHLE! Now I'm dying *turns into Velius* RAR NOW I EVIL!" which was kind of wasted.  Adding one more scene that actually shows how and why he joins the Shrine Knights helps make the thing feel less superficial.), or things lost in FFT's translation.
The big one is basically anything Delita related.  Its...pretty hard to argue now that Delita was just sweet talking his way through everything, and saying what people wanted to hear just so he could use them, and that he's just lying out of his ass about his motives.  No, the game makes it clear that a lot of what Delita says is sincere (again, the line "On Tietra's soul, I swear!" is NOT something Delita would say unless he actually meant it), that he actually did pity Ovelia, and wanted what was best for her, not just to use her, and that he was actually not an evil scheming bastard.

Also the fact that it kills idiotic theories like "OMG DELITA CUT BALMAFULA'S TONGUE OUT!" just kind of died.  Olan outright states that Delita merely made an act of aggression of Bamafula to fake her death, which allowed her to flee the castle unharmed, or "STAB WITH FLOWERS!" as based on Delita's animation, and the fact that now we KNOW Ovelia had a knife, it seems pretty clear that Delita pulls the knife out of his chest and stabs Ovelia...could be over analyzing, but there's only one knife in the scene and we know Ovelia had one, and it just doesn't seem to fit with FFTLW Delita to plan to murder Ovelia after all he went through to keep her alive.

...yeah, I'm just looking into a big debate scene which I should probably stop <.<

Oh, the game making a bit of an attempt to de-suck Rafa, Malak and Meliadoul was nice.  Rafa and Malak are...still pretty crappy, granted, but they can at least DO stuff in battles, like kill an enemy here and there.  Meliadoul mainly just became useful on randoms given Mighty Sword now works vs. nonequipped targets.

...and then they do nothing to improve Cloud, who probably needed it the most (Rafa and Malak were more interesting concepts gone wrong, and to truly de-suck them would require changing the nature of their characters, I feel.) No...they couldn't just add Auto Short Charge to him, or let him use any Sword he wants for Limits (he'd like Rune Blade), or just make him NOT START AT LEVEL 1 WITH NOTHING LEARNED (but he has a few classes open!!!), or...yeah, Cloud's as worthless in practice as ever, pure novelty.

Speaking of Cameo PCs, Luso and Balthier were nifty additions, though both pretty much scream twink bait.  Granted, they both kind of make the Thief Class useless outside of Move+2 and possibly Catch, Luso having automatic poaching with weapons and stats much better than the Thief, and Balthier having an improved version of the entire Steal Skillset...combined with a lot of other nonsensical goodies (ie better equipment selection than Orlandu, generally decent stats, Barrage...)...yeah...
They didn't add a lot to the game, no, but hey, new PCs are nice and such! Especially with the party limit raised to 24.

...anyway, enough ranting about stuff most people already know about, and how FFT is awesome and such, lets move on or something!

AI: This "Open the Gate" fetch quest fails.  Mostly cause I've been working on it for a damn long time now, and I feel like I'm getting nowhere.  Feels exactly like BoF2's mid game really <_< >_>

Anyway, suppose to go to Flawless Model.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: April 02, 2008, 06:39:35 AM »
Odd. A lot of people were mocking Fayt when I started the game.

Taishyr

« Reply #1261 on: April 02, 2008, 07:06:12 AM »
Fayt is fun and mockable.

I mock things I like semi-often. So uh, you might've seen me. (Also, you likely heard a lot of Fayt U3 bitching. That's annoying, at least, but it's all mostly earlygame and paces out naturally.)

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: April 02, 2008, 08:59:20 AM »
Huh. I got TicTac on one of my first Reaper missions. Then got Robogirl and did thier little special mission, and got no reward from it because I didn't have enough freind points with TicTac or something. >_<

You need 300 points with it, I believe. Gets you Soul Candy, which prevents the extra stamina loss. Pretty key for the rest of the things.
BvS-
I've added Galuf, Gatewalker, and KeithC to my Sparring List- I'll get everyone else as it goes.
Got Robogirl and Tic-tac in one day of Reaping, then went on a bingo spree today and picked up Hyuk. Time to grind out some apples and make The Trade. Gonna focus on that this time around, and blitz through Reaper side when I hit Special Jonin (Since the S2+ Jonin Exam is mean, and requires 3 bloodlines.)

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: April 02, 2008, 09:56:34 AM »
Might as well rock the sig too.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: April 02, 2008, 03:38:56 PM »
VH1's short but keep an FAQ handy- the prism missions are easy to miss and you'll want to see the Vanadalier class.

Lufia 2- Done with the replay. Much love for the game still. My only complaint is how utterly gimpy the final bosses are- for that matter, challenge really trails off after midgame. The IP system is also massively abusive. Even if the bosses were good they'd get smashed anyway with a bit of twinking. (See: Amon and him facing 5000 damage for the first three rounds of combat)
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: April 02, 2008, 03:53:57 PM »

You need 300 points with it, I believe. Gets you Soul Candy, which prevents the extra stamina loss. Pretty key for the rest of the things.
BvS-
I've added Galuf, Gatewalker, and KeithC to my Sparring List- I'll get everyone else as it goes.
Got Robogirl and Tic-tac in one day of Reaping, then went on a bingo spree today and picked up Hyuk. Time to grind out some apples and make The Trade. Gonna focus on that this time around, and blitz through Reaper side when I hit Special Jonin (Since the S2+ Jonin Exam is mean, and requires 3 bloodlines.)

Hate.  You.  All.  I've been on this for four days trying to find Tictac, and this is after a week of grinding D-rank missions for the damn butterfly to begin with. ;_;

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: April 02, 2008, 04:23:45 PM »
I was using Smoke Bombs to shuffle over faster. Also had the Theme that doubles your find rate. It gets significantly easier after your first season, because both butterflies and the Sword all loop.

PS If anyone has a spare Note Page today they'd like to use on me, I'd be exceedingly thankful.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 05:22:18 PM by Mad Fnorder »

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: April 02, 2008, 06:56:55 PM »
I could probably handle that note page thing when I get home today if nobody else has.  Smoke bombs would probably have helped, yes.  I just didn't have many and didn't really think of it. >_>  Oh, and it doesn't help that my censor at home also screws up when I try to use the Epic Dog Urination Technique to find stuff.  Not that it matters for Tictac, but it would have helped with the Butterfly. <_<

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: April 02, 2008, 08:17:42 PM »
Wow... that censor... hates you. In any case, much obliged. I'm level 33 at the moment- I dunno if that's too far from your range. I can grind a bit if you need.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: April 02, 2008, 09:20:06 PM »
Well, it would be my alt, who is pretty close to that.  My main doesn't have a page.  Think the alt's 32 right now?  Can't check from work.  Just made Special Jonin with him.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: April 02, 2008, 09:53:44 PM »
You already have fucking alts and using that terminology?  Stop playing MMOs guys they are horrible things.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: April 02, 2008, 11:50:40 PM »
You already have fucking alts and using that terminology?  Stop playing MMOs guys they are horrible things.

I am quoting Grefter and agreeing with him what the hell must stab eyes.

Well anyways, been playing Crisis Core.  It's that kind of game like Dirge of Cerebreus, but replace the godawful shooting parts with an boring, but non-offensive action RPG and you get this game.  Zack is really a dork, while Sephiroth is actually a nice guy. WTF cloud you should have gotten to know him better, he could have baked you cookies.  I'm up to one of those fucking stealth missions and I met Cloud, so let the yaoi begin.

Also, with every FF7 spinoff, they're making Reno more and more like Seifer its not funny.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: April 03, 2008, 02:17:17 AM »
Hate.  You.  All.  I've been on this for four days trying to find Tictac, and this is after a week of grinding D-rank missions for the damn butterfly to begin with. ;_;

You'll really hate me.  I got the butterfly on my first day playing.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: April 03, 2008, 02:49:10 AM »
Blargh.  We don't have a spy in Hiro Gama anymore, your guys caught him last night. <_<  Sorry, Fnorder.

TICTAC!  FINALLY! ^_^
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 02:58:11 AM by Yakumo »

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1274 on: April 03, 2008, 02:55:31 AM »
WAXF- Finished Chapter 1.  Game seems to want to punish not learning twinking a fair whack, but also does the whole puzzle-gimmick-maps so much getting a good twink setup can run completely counter to beating the map.  Still, this felt like it was trailing off even by the end of this chapter, so we can hope.  Sacred Slayer is silly, Levin screams twink bait in every direction simultaneously, which is impressive.  Plot is harmless Wild ARMs-y goodness.  VA is inexcusable, although it's getting to So Bad It's Good level.  Music is very Wild ARMs-y, surprising considering I don't see Naruke's name anywheres.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.