Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 473579 times)

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #1975 on: May 25, 2008, 03:56:19 AM »
Just set challenge to sweet if any fights overwhelm you, Gate. Even I could smash the game at that level and I suck at RTSes.

This.

Seriously, I did it halfway through because the gameplay was boring as hell and the plot was good.  Don't regret it one bit.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: May 25, 2008, 07:21:33 AM »
I read that aliens were only worth 20 PP in the japanese version. So freaking thankful they changed that if that's true.

Well, they increase the brave requirements for after game equips though.
BTW, the esper point required for S in Jp. version is actually 65536.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: May 25, 2008, 12:56:20 PM »
I read that aliens were only worth 20 PP in the japanese version. So freaking thankful they changed that if that's true.

Well, they increase the brave requirements for after game equips though.
BTW, the esper point required for S in Jp. version is actually 65536.

... ... ... ... ...
Was there anything you get esper points for apart from battling and mingling? Because that has to be the most unfeasible target of all time. Unless things gave you ten times the amount of esper points in the JP version as they do in the english version or something. That target seriously better have been lowered.

Increasing brave on aftergame items doesn't really mean much considering how easy it is to get brave in the aftergame >_>

Beat the ultimate ultimate and my prize index is now done. For interest's sake my pin lineup was Lightning Rage, Black Saturn, Psych Support, Monkey Leisure, Peace Full, and Guardian Angel. Lightning Rage didn't get an awful lot of use, but Black Saturn only did a comparatively tiny percentage of damage/healing in any case, it being mostly useful negating attacks. Shiki did the majority of the damage in the fight.

So on to pins! Good times.

Anachronox: Up to Whitendon. Recent events have been pretty derned amusing.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: May 25, 2008, 01:30:06 PM »
Twil: Escape pod scenes, or villain ship? (I can't recall where in the game Whitendon is).

AI2: Battle arena opened up. Stomped all the initial chains of battles, getting everyone several levels and almost every skill available in the process. Then we went to fight the dragon Arghevald, or whatever his name is. He got two turns. Bosses without support are so freaking boned in this game; there's just so little they can do to avoid getting stunlocked.

Also: Poe? Stop existing, please.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: May 25, 2008, 01:48:11 PM »
Whitendon is post Villain Ship.  Whitendon part 1 being before the other 2 party members side areas (which two did you take onto Villain ship by the way?) which ends in proooobably one of the strongest scenes in a video game I can think of and certainly the strongest in Anachronox and what I consider the pinnacle of the games acheivements.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1980 on: May 25, 2008, 01:55:57 PM »
I took Rho and Demo. I thought Demo was forced there anyway? I know it forcibly joined my party before I left the Lounge. Not sure how the end of the ship segment would work if it's not there either...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: May 25, 2008, 02:12:44 PM »
It does.  Wishful thinking on my part that you could do 2 of the other solo missions at a time since they are each fairly interesting. 

Oh heads up on Paco's mission as well, there is a Cobalt Beetle near the end of it I think and a control panel near the end of the base at the end of the mission.  On that control panel there will ben an invisible item you can mouse over and pick up, it is Demo's best weapon.  I don't like to do the OMG SPOILARZ at you or anything, but it is the only place in the game to get it that I am aware of and it was never confirmed if it was a bug that it was invisible or what.  I think it is in the right hand side of the control panel.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: May 25, 2008, 04:09:59 PM »
Whitendon is post Villain Ship.  Whitendon part 1 being before the other 2 party members side areas (which two did you take onto Villain ship by the way?) which ends in proooobably one of the strongest scenes in a video game I can think of and certainly the strongest in Anachronox and what I consider the pinnacle of the games acheivements.

Which scene are you referring to here, Grefter? I played the game seven years ago, so vast portions of it are hazy in my memory (despite reading the LP last year).

cloudstrifesheart

• Denizen
  • so tragic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: May 25, 2008, 05:58:34 PM »
Crisis Core is fucking awesome. Is there a good chance that this game will get nominated to the dl. Zack Faire would make a solid heavy/godlike. It ranges because of the random bonuses that the DMW reel gives you. And you have good bosses in Angeal and Genesis. Minerva could be ranked in the not ranked. I will post stats when I am done, unless someone else already has. I was wondering how good Persona 3 FES though. I have it, just haven't gotten to it yet.
I think......I think I want to be forgiven. Mhhm. More than anything.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1984 on: May 25, 2008, 09:29:09 PM »
Isn't Zack the only playable character? Probably not, if so.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: May 25, 2008, 09:58:48 PM »
FES is something the DL seems to either love or hate. More people like it than hate it if that matters to you. I myself was very skeptical going into playing the original game and was pleasantly surprised to find it was an excellent RPG. FES just makes it even better.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: May 26, 2008, 12:28:58 AM »
Argh I don't want to say really out of spoilers  part of the effectiveness is that it isn't really super expected.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: May 26, 2008, 02:18:48 AM »
Was there anything you get esper points for apart from battling and mingling?

You get 1 point for buying an item that cost 10,000 yen or more.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: May 26, 2008, 01:17:37 PM »
Argh I don't want to say really out of spoilers  part of the effectiveness is that it isn't really super expected.

Eh, just send me a PM, then.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'm actually gaming too.

AI2: Fought Tolena's elite bodyguards.

Bwahahahaha. Man. There are just no words.

Anyway, onwards to chapter sixteen. So, *spoilers* is royalty? I guess it's time for an angstfest over obligations and such. Bleh.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 01:57:19 PM by El Cideon »

cloudstrifesheart

• Denizen
  • so tragic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: May 26, 2008, 02:40:59 PM »
yeah zack is the only playable character....makes it much easier that way
I think......I think I want to be forgiven. Mhhm. More than anything.

Pyro

« Reply #1990 on: May 26, 2008, 03:48:27 PM »
P3: Man. Chidori's fight was so bloody epic. Thunder Reign did 700 damage right off the bat. The rest of the team mopped up the Shocked target without any fuss at all. I suppose I should fight her again to see how she is in the DL but... hell. I'll just say she only beats freaking epic physical fighters, completely fire-reliant folk, and jogurt. Seriously, that was horrible.

Thunder Reign and Thunder Call are both awesome attacks. Took down the reaper at lvl 60 thanks to the whorage there. Auto-crits in a game where crits knock down the opponent AND give you another turn is just sick.

Plot doesn't interest me, but its enjoyable fluff. The only other thing I'll add right now is that I am very glad the animated cutscene art style didn't seep its way into the character portraits.

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: May 26, 2008, 04:46:51 PM »

Wait, is this really Grefter "I have no objection to spoilers because knowing what to expect enhances the experience etc." talking?  Have we finally gotten to him?

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: May 26, 2008, 07:05:41 PM »
JC2- Finally at the end of the game. The four Servents of darkness were all somewhat easy but solid enough, the final boss is another matter.
It has to be the most annoying boss I have ever faced and proberly ever will. First is the fact you have to face Levant and his water Drac before the battle and Levant himself is an annoying bastard. He spams Seal which ejects one of your beasts out of the battle permently. To make things worse he essentually has 6000hp due to how he keeps on cheaply switching to the water Drac and thus healing it.
May I add that the final boss has 2500 hp and that is quite a big amount, 6000hp means it'll take me around 30-45 minutes to take Levant down.
Then after that slog Levant morphs in to the final boss. Lets see fairly durable, 3HKO damage and can bring out some minions. Does seem so bad does it? Well it wouldn't if it wasn't for the FUCKING RETARDED AI!

In this game you can't control who your beasts attack and so 80% of the time they'll attack the little minions and not the boss itself. To make things worse the minions get healed to full every turn for 2 turns and get brought back when beaten, and to top everything off the final boss is so massivly evasive that at times I find myself missing every single attack I throw at it.

I have now lost to it around four/five times and each has taken at least an hour thanks to Levant. I'm starting to lose my rag with this.

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: May 26, 2008, 09:21:22 PM »
JC2- Finally at the end of the game. The four Servents of darkness were all somewhat easy but solid enough, the final boss is another matter.
It has to be the most annoying boss I have ever faced and proberly ever will. First is the fact you have to face Levant and his water Drac before the battle and Levant himself is an annoying bastard. He spams Seal which ejects one of your beasts out of the battle permently. To make things worse he essentually has 6000hp due to how he keeps on cheaply switching to the water Drac and thus healing it.
May I add that the final boss has 2500 hp and that is quite a big amount, 6000hp means it'll take me around 30-45 minutes to take Levant down.
Then after that slog Levant morphs in to the final boss. Lets see fairly durable, 3HKO damage and can bring out some minions. Does seem so bad does it? Well it wouldn't if it wasn't for the FUCKING RETARDED AI!

In this game you can't control who your beasts attack and so 80% of the time they'll attack the little minions and not the boss itself. To make things worse the minions get healed to full every turn for 2 turns and get brought back when beaten, and to top everything off the final boss is so massivly evasive that at times I find myself missing every single attack I throw at it.

I have now lost to it around four/five times and each has taken at least an hour thanks to Levant. I'm starting to lose my rag with this.

AI depends on which beast types you use. Some are more eager to attack the corners, some center, low HP enemies, etc. You want the minions dead anyway. You'll want a lot of healing books there, as a general tip. Regardless, that is a long battle and took me over an hour if I recall correctly. Fun, though. >_>
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1994 on: May 26, 2008, 09:50:04 PM »

Wait, is this really Grefter "I have no objection to spoilers because knowing what to expect enhances the experience etc." talking?  Have we finally gotten to him?

Well, you guys DO throw bitch fits.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1995 on: May 26, 2008, 10:21:00 PM »
AI2: Fought Tolena's elite bodyguards.

Bwahahahaha. Man. There are just no words.

Puni Punist hype is go~?

FFT - Calculator Ramza > stuff.  The end.  Actually getting kind of bored because everything dies too quickly.  Oh well.

Persona 3 FES: The Answer - Started the fourth door.  Also getting bored of this but that's less surprising.

Super Robot Wars Original Generation Gaiden - Picked up my EX Hard run again.  Mission 7 BM is still retarded but I managed to get it after a couple of tries.  Mission 8 was a joke, as was mission 9.  Stopped there for now.  Not sure when I'll pick it up again.

Super Robot Wars Alpha - Finished mission 7!  After about a year or so of not playing it!

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: May 26, 2008, 11:07:47 PM »

AI depends on which beast types you use. Some are more eager to attack the corners, some center, low HP enemies, etc. You want the minions dead anyway. You'll want a lot of healing books there, as a general tip. Regardless, that is a long battle and took me over an hour if I recall correctly. Fun, though. >_>

I bring like a lot of healing books and I mean a lot and still lose because my minions don't attack the boss and when they do the boss dodges, its a nightmare.
Healing books are no problem, I have plenty of the ++ ones, its the Mp ++ ones that I need. Missions are closed till I beat the boss so I can't unlock them in shops and the dark water forest is now closed. Is there any other way to get them?

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: May 26, 2008, 11:18:29 PM »
I bring like a lot of healing books and I mean a lot and still lose because my minions don't attack the boss and when they do the boss dodges, its a nightmare.
Healing books are no problem, I have plenty of the ++ ones, its the Mp ++ ones that I need. Missions are closed till I beat the boss so I can't unlock them in shops and the dark water forest is now closed. Is there any other way to get them?

Oh, right, MP++ ones are the ones I meant. I don't remember that section of the game enough to help you out, but in the worst case scenario you can beat up the Lilith's Lair bosses repeatedly for 5000 exp each. The other advice I have is really generic as I have no clue about your party setup. Have the best earth damage barrier, in any case. Status may work on the minions but not the boss itself.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: May 26, 2008, 11:30:10 PM »
I use the strongest of the barrior spells and they do work quite well yes. I use it to shield myself from dark impact, but most of the time my earth beast is too slow and a dark impact gets sneaked in by the boss.

I'm now planning on using a risky set up. It involves 2 earth beasts with High spirits and 1 with barrid. Of course I'll have around 30 mp healing books.
After five or so turns high spirits will be doing around 200 damage per hit so unless Levant cheaps me out with seal before hand the final boss should be easy.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: May 27, 2008, 12:47:53 AM »
There is a difference when it is someone OH MY GOD MIGHT PLAY THE GAME IN THE NEXT 5 YEARS and someone is about half an hour of gameplay away from experiencing it.