Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 473531 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #2050 on: May 30, 2008, 12:25:24 AM »
STick it on Yangus instead and chances are you will get the buff of it after the enemies go and be sure to get at least some use out of it.  The boss in Dark World that isn't Big Bird also doesn't wave of Ice and fully tensioned Kabuff makes him a joke, but just killing him is more efficient, less fun, but more efficient.

Gate, that would be why Lute's quest >>>>>>>>> the others.  No plot to get in the way of twinking right away.  The having skills before you start grinding infinite gold out was what confused me and made me assume you weren't familliar with Lute's quest.  Cause you can start spitting out infinite gold as soon as the plot isn't restricting where you go.  Just need to start in the Junkyard instead of with gold.  Work your way up.

Edit - Forgot the important thing again.  Wow, I wasn't expecting you to put the game that high up Twil.  I hold it lower than that myself and I like to think I am a bit of a fan.  Nothing wrong with it, probably just a case of my punishing stuff for flaws more than you do again.  They weren't really banking on a sequel I believe so much as that was going to be the halfway point of the game.... Ion Storm were nothing if not big plans and dreams.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 12:29:21 AM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: May 30, 2008, 12:56:36 AM »
Kirby Canvas Curse: Up to the 6th world. Game is short and fun. That is all.

Guitar Hero 3: My brother plays this almost religiously, and he'll likely need me to play to do the co-op stuff, so I'm starting. Got 5 stars on Slow Ride, with more than 70,000 points. It'll all be downhill from here.

Unoriginal

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: May 30, 2008, 01:04:33 AM »
Who the Timbrel goes on is dependent on your builds.  For me, Jess was Fist/Staff and Yangus was Axes, so for me it felt more efficient to stick it on her and have Yangus focus on trying to lower the boss' defenses, with Jess dropping a Burst on the off chance she ever hit 100.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: May 30, 2008, 01:29:13 AM »
Gate, that would be why Lute's quest >>>>>>>>> the others.  No plot to get in the way of twinking right away.  The having skills before you start grinding infinite gold out was what confused me and made me assume you weren't familliar with Lute's quest.  Cause you can start spitting out infinite gold as soon as the plot isn't restricting where you go.  Just need to start in the Junkyard instead of with gold.  Work your way up.

Ahhhh, I get you. No, what I meant was that in the time it took me to gather up the starter funds for the gold trick from the Ruins/Sewers(and grab the equips in King Sei's tomb, was the very first thing I did after getting my team together(sans TL, of course)), Lute had not learned a single skill. And I wasn't dodging fights either(aside from the bats). Sorry if I worded that confusingly.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: May 30, 2008, 04:22:39 AM »
Sidequesting in Shadow Hearts before Neameton. I, uh, missed Amon entirely (stupid FAQtastic fusions), but the stat topic is more than informative enough, and Czernobog and Sandalphon are probably all I'll need to wreak havoc on the final dungeon.

Anyways, the optional bosses in this game aren't anything special. Seraphim, the one with actual good damage and speed, had such little HP that it didn't matter, and the rest couldn't get past Alice casting Arc and Wish, with Halley on support.

I'm using Halley mostly because he was forced for so long that he ran away from the other party members, and I don't feel like catching them up. Halley's good anyways since he's got healing, revival, and decent enough damage, though having Alice and Halley does stretch the SP kinda thin.

Anyways, I'm pretty much good to go voting on everything but the final, so bring it on!

(Now I need to find a used copy of SH2 somewhere...)
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2055 on: May 30, 2008, 05:25:26 AM »
Vandal Hearts- Finished. Typical oldschool SRPG with story/plot to match. Standout here is the map/scenario design. Some really clever work done, making things actually feel, well, tactical instead of your normal head to head slugfests. Extra points to the ambush map in Chapter 4. 7/10 overall.

Gonna try and finish Valkyrie Profile before DL-Con now.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: May 30, 2008, 05:29:04 AM »
Gref: I thought non-Big Bird Dark World boss had crits? Which would put a damper in that strategy. Granted I never saw any myself so I might be misremembering.

Yeah, Timbrel can go on a lot of different people, and I definitely hype tension after getting it (hence my general lol reaction to the final's HP). Jess seems an odd choice since she should have the most damage, but yeah, depends on skill builds.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: May 30, 2008, 06:10:29 AM »
Gref: I thought non-Big Bird Dark World boss had crits? Which would put a damper in that strategy. Granted I never saw any myself so I might be misremembering.

Pretty sure I recall him whipping out a couple Desperate Attacks when I fought him, so I believe you're right.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: May 30, 2008, 06:23:26 AM »
Okami - Keeps getting better. The Celestial Brush is quite possibly one of the funnest gameplay features in an action game I have ever had the pleasure to fiddle with.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: May 30, 2008, 11:51:34 AM »
BvS:  Got my first Hanging Out bonus today, with Big Bo.

*uses Great Expansion Jutsu to Beat Up A Whale*

Less drugs, maybe?

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: May 30, 2008, 02:32:12 PM »
Desperate attacks won't kill, he is still laughable.  You only do it to play around with him anyway.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: May 30, 2008, 08:41:48 PM »
IN: 1cced Normal with Sakuya/Remilia. How I managed to do that with the ghost team way before this one is beyond me. Team scarlet is so much easier to use. Anyway, replay is being here: http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=831

Three down, one to go. I'm not attempting Hard until I can clear Normal with every team. And that'll probably be a while since I totally suck at using the magic team. At least I'm getting better at the micrododging, I guess.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: May 30, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »
Wild Arms 4 - Superboss hunting! Now with a small amount of memory with how they worked from previous playthroughs. This time, endgame levels (or, that's where I was when I -started-, I'm in the high 60's now), no Black Market. Rar.

Wyvern - Shut Out / Diagonal hex means he can't do anything to you. Granted, you want to close in with some attackers to beat her in a sane amount of time, but yeah. Castle Wall/Tiny Flower on Arnaud ensures this strategy can be set up.

Biber Zehr - One of the easier ones since he wastes lots of turns assessing the situation. Aside from that, he is the status whore, with poison/disease/sleep, so blocking those (mainly sleep) would help. Often I was just waiting for sleep to end so I could do something, anything. Anyway, his only actual offence is a physical attack, so Illusion = yay, and hitting him with earth = yay. Arnaud is the god of the aftergame.

Blaze Toad - Definitely the toughest of the map superbosses. Arnaud/Yulie start on a water hex and he spams Cremation on anyone stupid enough to get caught there. OHKO off WA4 superboss speed, joy. Not even the usual defensive tricks seemed to do much. Took quite a few tries of flailing around, trying to get Arnaud/Yulie a turn really. Once they did I was okay. Water Hi-Blast kicks his ass but it's not worth going back to the water hex for except as a finisher, so Raquel did most of the work. Fire resistance would have helped a lot here.

Omen Fish - Blah blah ID, not too accurate. Water attack, avoid fire hex. Decent but nothing too special.

Adult Mags - Eeek, there are TWELVE of them! Protect rules, Red Zone rules, Magic Defender/Reflect rule. They don't use Hi-Blast until turn 2, but when they do, it hurts. The above abilities do help at least. Lots of Exorcism use, beyond that.

Buckbaird - Level 80? What's he doing so high up the list? Shut Out = you win, see Wyvern.

Sapphire Drake - Man, I remember this guy kicking my ass first playthrough. He wasn't toooo bad this time. Getting him off his earth hex is important so Stone Bullet is merely moderate rape, not complete rate. Earth resistance would probably help too, though he also uses Hydro Pressure so not sure how much point. His status is one of the most evil of any superboss (100% GT misery) and you pretty much have to hope to tough out what he does to you while you get around it, but at least your item healing still works. Illusion is very helpful to buy turns as always.

Mictl-whatever - Game pencils him in as the #4 superboss, but I don't really see it. His disease status is one of the most benign of any superboss, and stone isn't much better since it takes too long to kick in (gives Jude something to do in curing it!). Usual strategies work otherwise.

Charibdis - Gross overkill damage but still sucks. Of course his point isn't to be a challenge.

Black Box - Agony Effect is unblockable pain, so you hope he mainly uses Hyper and physicals. He tends to oblige. Illusion is a huge help. His defences rule, meaning Raquel does only 1000~ damage with a storebought weapon. Arnaud to the rescue, as Fire Hi-Blast kicks his ass. Took a while to get this one set up properly, but eventually locked him down properly and killed him in three attacks despite his impressive HP. Yay Exploit weakness + Water hex.

So yeah Arnaud rules. Yulie's also a big help for Quicken and Code O. Jude sometimes gets some mileage out of Mystic, Raquel deals damage (most of the time) and Intrude can pull out tough situations.

Just arena and Ragu left now.

Maybe.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: May 30, 2008, 09:28:40 PM »
Just feel the need to point out that Raquel also has Exploit Weakness, so elemental Dragon Edge to the face will also deal great damage against any of those bosses with weaknesses.  Pair it with Hyper and Fragile if you really want to bring on the pain.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: May 30, 2008, 09:44:58 PM »
The thought did occur to me, but Dragon Edge is obviously harder to set up than Hi-Blast since the boss in question needs to move right besides the appropriate hex. Also Biber Zehr's flight means he's still hard to hit, even with that? Might have been worth trying to pull against Black Box though. Omen Fish/Blaze Toad... maybe.

Maybe.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: May 31, 2008, 12:04:02 AM »
Yeah, it is harder to set up, BUT, you can use Shut Out once the boss is there (and usually they'll come try and physical you in the face at least once during the battle, often early on) and then you're set.  Dragon Edge is better damage than Hi-Blast, IIRC, so if things go the right way, it's worth locking the boss there and spamming it with Dragon Edge and Hi-Blast repeatedly.  I happened to get lucky against Biber Zehr and didn't miss much, but the flight does pose a problem to that strategy, but really, what else is Raquel going to do?  Black Box likes to go with the physicals (and stupid Magic Hand or whatever ow I hate that move), so setting it up against him is pretty easy.  Blaze Toad it's almost impossible to set it up, and with THAT kind of fire damage you may not even WANT to.  But for most of the other bosses it's at least a viable strategy (okay, Buckbaird doesn't count, but it's interesting to know that he countered a water Dragon Edge with REPLACE once.  I wonder if that was an intentional counter because that's a neat move.)

---

The World Ends with You - Finally beat Minamimoto on Hard at L1.  Ended up not even needing too much healing that time for some reason.  I guess his pattern just clicked, since he wasn't hitting me all that often.

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: May 31, 2008, 03:46:32 AM »
IN: 1cced Normal with Sakuya/Remilia. How I managed to do that with the ghost team way before this one is beyond me. Team scarlet is so much easier to use. Anyway, replay is being here: http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=831

Three down, one to go. I'm not attempting Hard until I can clear Normal with every team. And that'll probably be a while since I totally suck at using the magic team. At least I'm getting better at the micrododging, I guess.

Most of the games, I'd say that beating Hard is easier than beating Normal with everyone; It's easier to get used to one character's play, etc.

IN? No, but this is a statement on Hard. You should be ready for it's Hard then, yeah.

DO EXTRA FIRST. Or at least try it. Extra in IN is probably easier than Hard, unless you're not into the memorization thing much at all. (And if you aren't, why are you playing IN? <_< >_>)
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: May 31, 2008, 04:52:37 AM »
Don't listen to Sage's lies!  Play Hard instead!  Extra sucks!

Though really, I've always beaten Normal with every character before trying Hard... except in IN.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: May 31, 2008, 06:17:42 AM »
Kingdom of Loathing:

This game is great.  Really funny, and sort of addicting.  Just got my Epic weapon and now should be able to progress due to stat boosts.  Game suffers from spending so much time grinding, also from the fact that grinding for meat and buying quest items is far faster and less inane than getting the quest items the legit way.  Yes.  Of playing through the game the regular way versus mindless grinding, the mindless grinding is the least painful way.   

Oh well.  Still fun, just MMORPGs are stupid. 

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: May 31, 2008, 07:39:17 AM »
Odin Sphere - Beat Mercedes's book and got three chapters into Oswald. Mercedes's book was alright, pretty straightforward plot and easy fights (plus 2 unique bosses. I am shocked.). Oswald himself is pretty meh, feels like a more offensive Cornelius with midboss slaying abilities in Shadow Transformation. Put the game down for a bit due to not wanting to deal with the Netherworld gimmick~

Xenosaga 3 - Yay trainwrecks~. Got up to the point where the Red Wanker reveals who he really is~! Which doesn't make him any less of a wanker. The game feels like XS for dummies, the battle system is the simplest yet. It's kind of boring, but at least it doesn't take forever like XS2. As for the PLOT and CHARACTERS...well, I doubt I'm really caustic enough to mock the time traveling/robot fanservice shows like anyone else could. At worst it's hilarious, so it's slightly better than 1 so far, I guess.

Also HaKox needs more hype. Puzzle game which involves XS characters being flung into the atmosphere and smashed by blocks. I'm kind of surprised it wasn't mentioned more in the endless XS3 stuff I've read here~
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2070 on: May 31, 2008, 08:16:19 AM »
Mario Kart Wii - All done. Every GP circuit in every mode is starred, every fast staff ghost unlocked, all karts, all bikes, all characters, etc. TOADETTE was the last, weird.

There's still more to do, like actually -beating- those expert ghosts (I beat one on my first try, that being the highway stage). But I'm not sure I like the game quite enough to bother. I'm more likely to go back to F-Zero X.

Well okay. So I'm a pretty big Mario Kart fan, you should all know this by now. The original is god, 64 I didn't like, then Double Dash came back and also ruled. Super Circuit seemed good too but I've not played too much of it, and DS I've yet to touch. So how does this one stack up?

First of all, I felt it took a number of needless steps back from Double Dash. In particular,

-Okay, I can kinda accept that two people in one kart was a bit of a game-specific change, hence "Double" Dash and all that. But why remove it entirely like it never existed? The pairing of drivers was a great idea, for multiple reasons. One, there was more strategy in how you could hold onto two items. Two, having both a driver and a backseat wrecking crew partner made for a great multiplayer experience. Three, you got to use the character-specific items of two characters. It was wonderful. Why is it no longer even an option?

-I just touched on this, but it deserves its own point. Where did the character-specific items go? Now the only thing that makes, say, Birdo different from Luigi is some very small stat differences which I didn't even notice until a FAQ pointed them out (vehicle stats are much more important). It's cool that the game has 24 characters, but it seems pointless beyond aesthetics.

-It's slow. This seems to be all the rage these days: SLOW 'DEM DERE MULTIPLAYER GAMES DOWN! THE KIDS CAN'T KEEP UP! It's a bit slower than Double Dash, which was already way slower than Mario Kart. I definitely don't enjoy playing it on 50. 150 is okay, at least. I like my action games fast, and it's a bit insulting to watch good ol' Mario Circuit 3 take notably more time to complete three laps than it used to to complete FIVE in the original.

-Blue Shells! Lightning! POW blocks! They haven't gotten any rarer. Quite the opposite, with 12 computers to throw them around, and the POW block is new (though there's a stupid trick to make it not hurt as bad, at least) Bullets add to the terror if you're in the middle ranks, since you don't really get adequate warning for them I've found. On another item note, dodging red shells without items no longer seems possible, unless there's a new way I haven't found. With items? Well now it's very, very easy, since you can just drag items behind you like a braindead idiot (I have no idea why they brought -that- back). Basically the improved power and frequency of items has made the game very random. GP is definitely less enjoyable this time out. Time trials, at least, don't suffer; I never saw the need for them in previous games, but I do now.

-Tied to the former, but enemies are now much more packed together, which seemed needless since I was still quite capable of finishing in any position. This means if you get blue shelled towards the end it really, really hurts. Very annoying.

-Bowser Jr. no longer says "He he he!" whenever he hits someone with an item. And he lacks his horrible, wince-inducing bawling when he comes in a low position. I DO NOT ACCEPT THIS! (Yeah I miss Double Dash's awesome VA. This game isn't horrible for it, though, and does have more quantity at least.)

But it's not all bad. Indeed, the game does some things very right, things the series has needed for a while.

-Options! Sadly not available for the standard GP, these are a great idea. Things like CPU agression and more importantly, ITEMS can now be governed. Yes, you can turn off all the broken items (or increase their rate if you are insane). Great for upping the skill level of multiplayer. Speaking of said multiplayer, it can now be played with more than two karts, without a link cable! So yeah, these are the most important improvements.

-Bringing back 16 old tracks in addition to the 16 new. They did a pretty good job with these, in particular the oldest ones (though why only two SNES tracks, given the popularity of that version, I don't know...). Very nice attention to aesthetics, as the 2D stages still retain that old semi-2D look while being rendered in 3D. And some of these tracks are pretty rockin' too, such as GBA Bowser Castle and DS Peach Gardens. N64 stages unshockingly are too long and boring.

-Track design was generally solid. Better than Double Dash? Same area? I dunno. But there was a lot to like here. Rainbow Road's a fun romp as always, Koopa Cape and its water streams are a blast, DK Summit does a terrific job of recreating a ski-hill. A bit disappointing that they didn't vary the lap count, and one map (Bowser Castle) is a bit too newbie-unfriendly for my tastes (it murders you relentlessly if you haven't mastered using the vertical booster areas), but otherwise, good stuff.

-For the first time in the series, balloon battle mode is FINALLY playable with more than two people, as they actually figured out a worthwhile points system (+1 for a kill, -1 for losing all three balloons, but then you respawn with three new ones). Also more options. I'm still not much of a fan though; SNES is the only one I can get into due to its superior speed and smaller battlefields. And I do miss Bob-Omb Blast. But yeah, enough about battle modes; they're not why I play Mario Kart games.

-I wouldn't have thought I'd care about an expanded roster, but Rosalina, Funky Kong, BABY DAISY, and ZOMBIE BOWSER are all pretty fun additions. We also lose Petey Piranha but gain Baby Peach, and I can't say I really care about either.

Overall? Mm, 8/10 game maybe. It's solid and I don't regret purchasing it, even if it is only the #3 console Mario Kart game to me. Also has online capabilities, which aren't really my thing, but I'll probably look into 'em someday, and I'm glad they exist.

Maybe.

Taishyr

« Reply #2071 on: May 31, 2008, 08:53:13 AM »
L:SSSC beaten. Generally agree with cast ranking (surprise). Game itself was... eh... no. It was passable, and had Dragon Anger gameplay skip for a long stretch of it, so eh. Plot itself was mediocre to bad, characters were decent but nothing above good, there wasn't really much to do in it, as odd as it may sound. L:EBC at least had a cool epilogue and some customization with the crest setup. SSSC doesn't, really.

Quick summary:

Alex needs a better fashion designer for 1/3 of the game, also Copy: Ramus is not a good way to frighten the final boss. Luna needed more screentime since she made a far better foil for Alex than not being there made. Kyle and Jessica were amusing if kinda 2-D, Jessica less so. Mia needed far more screentime to get anything done with her, really. Nash is a dumbass. Ghaleon clearly wants Nash as a result. Different strokes, I guess. Mel was okay, Laike was annoying, Tempest was just there. Dungeon design was okay, better than some worse than some. Monsters died to Dragon Anger or Flash Cut + Thunder Tampon or whatever Nash's MT skill was. Doing more with: captured dragons, reactions to being a Dragonmaster, general world changes, MORE IN THE FRONTIER, etc.,  would all have been nice.

Overall, prefer EBC far more, but this isn't bad, really. Just... not good. Probably a flat 4.0/10, using the power o' decemels.

WA2: Started. Ashley has been renamed Spade. Tim, Anne. Only name cool enough to keep was the dog's, but Lilka's was close, I coinflipped to give her a new name. Currently just got out of prison, Lilka for MVP thus far. The other two have damage, she has weakness hitting and healing. Far better. Gameplay is boring, frameskip compensates. Maybe it'll pick up more on the harder bosses. Who knows.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: May 31, 2008, 09:07:42 AM »
WA2 has harder bosses what (okay Kanon and Belleclaire don't count. The Cocytus members are kinda okay). Anyhow, for Lilka, grab Quicken for her ASAP. It's the one buff in WA2 that is good.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Taishyr

« Reply #2073 on: May 31, 2008, 12:33:42 PM »
They don't get harder than the intro bosses? Laaaaaaaame.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2074 on: May 31, 2008, 03:54:39 PM »
WA5 - Finished through Ice Queen Avril. Pretty enjoyable game so far. Chuck is so pointless and useless... Rebecca wins at being a female lead. She's not exactly original, but she pulls off 'childhood friend love interest' in a fairly believable way. Greg is all kinds of style and awesome, though isn't as deep or dynamic as I was hoping for. Gameplay is lots of fun, but I wish the characters were more rankable (see: unique) overall.

I don't hate Dean, which surprises me.

WA4: Yes, I'm simultaneously playing these. Got past Kresnik's temp PC phase and I'm working on saving the latest village from war! Raquel and Arnaud are getting less screentime, which is a problem.

Legend of Legaia: Sat down and played this in 2 sittings? That's a testament to its playing style I suppose? Or maybe my tolerance? I really like the gameplay, even though it gets a bit repetitive. The game's story isn't anything to write home about, but the game overall feels like it has aged pretty well for a PS1 game. I did enjoy the Psychic Babies(!) and some of Noa's random comments. Songi and Gala weren't wholly uninteresting somehow. Ra-Seru/Sim-Seru/Tieg feels like it was explained in Engrish (or perhaps not explained at all, I couldn't quite tell from some of the dialogue) because I'm still not quite sure where Ra-Seru, Mist, or Rogue(s?) came from or what their purpose was. Feels like I missed a scene or two. But I rushed through the game and finished it at level 30-ish by abusing Incense, so I suppose that's possible. Game's ranking didn't change, but it was a good refresher on the system.

One thing that DID bother me... OMG how old are these kids?! Noa and Vahn look 18, though I'd allow anime ages to get them to about 16. Gala looks almost 30! But this playthrough I noticed that Vahn shouts that he's 14. FOURTEEN!? o_O!! And Noa's younger than him. Do you realize that makes Noa younger than Anise? Or the same age as G1's Sue?! *mild aneurysm*

Rondo of Swords: I'm not really playing this to beat it anymore, I just take it out when I'm bored, level up a bunch of characters and then restart the map with all my levels that much higher. I think I've been on map 15 now for about 2 months? Still fun, just don't care about the story one iota enough to play further.

-Djinn
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 03:59:35 PM by DjinnAndTonic »