Register

Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 473445 times)

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #2125 on: June 05, 2008, 06:38:12 AM »
Chaos Wars:

A game with tons of familiar faces from all over the place. I had to honestly go out and buy it and give it a try.

The game....is generic enough. A strategy rpg that plays like Makai Kingdom.

The voice actors in the game are laughably bad. This is the only game I have had to switch to the Jap voices due to my ears bleeding. Yuri's (who they call Uru for some reason) voice was the straw that broke my back. The voice sounds like that of a homosexual, flamboyant man.

Anyways, I have Yuri so far. I am still waiting on Carmaine, Grave and others to fill my 5 party team. As of right now I am rocking, Yuri, Hiro, Okita, Hyoma, and Rin.

The game is decent enough. The story is bearable. A nice lighthearted game. A good change from Persona 3 me thinks.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: June 05, 2008, 06:53:17 AM »
Free move system was pioneered in Phantom Brave, not Makai Kingdom.

Anyway, what's so good about Chaos Wars? I've finished the Japanese version and I was horribly disappointed... >_>
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: June 05, 2008, 07:02:30 AM »
Wild Arms 4 - Beat Ragu and so on. Really impressed by him, six times Arnaud's speed wait what the fuck? Crazy. Ended up taking him on at Level 100 with a Sheriff Star and Equites and still took a whole bunch of tries. Setup was Raquel with the aforementioned equips (her other accessories don't matter much, think Ninja Badge would have been most useful?), Yulie with Castle Wall / Goat Doll / Tiny Flower, Arnaud with Castle Wall / Thief Badge / Tiny Flower, Jude with... something, but it involved Thief Badge and Tiny Flower as well. Tiny Flower is the best accessory in the game? Yeah probably, barring the SS.

Wish I knew what the hell caused him to use One Trillion Degrees, since that attack is... uh. Um. Horrid. Ended up OHKOing Ragu with a Raquel counter Finest Arts for 750k damage, but he was already at like 150k HP when this happened so I don't feel too bad about the massive hax. Illusion was what ultimately let me win, not sure why I was so reluctant to cast it compared to Slow Down and Hyper (it's certainly more important than Hyper). Really buys you some important turns. And potential Raquel counters, since Berserker Badge means she wasn't really surviving otherwise. Never saw him get parried, guess he's flagged to ignore it? Defendered too.

So yeah, WA4 aftergame all done! Not much to say I haven't before. I love this game.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: June 05, 2008, 08:04:47 AM »
Who gives a shit which game "pioneered" what. I wasn't saying Makai Kingdom invented that sort of thing anyways. If we really wanted to get all bitchy about it, Phantom Brave did not come up with that engine first anyways.

Anyways, it's just a game with a whole bunch of cameos. Other then that it doesn't have much substance.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: June 05, 2008, 08:13:57 AM »
The voice actors in the game are laughably bad. This is the only game I have had to switch to the Jap voices due to my ears bleeding.

Yuri is a translation change. Uru was the original name used.

Anyway, what's so good about Chaos Wars? I've finished the Japanese version and I was horribly disappointed... >_>

Nothing, it is one of the worse game from the Netherworld.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2130 on: June 05, 2008, 10:30:42 AM »
Valkyrie Profile- Finished. Slapped both Bloodbane and Surt around. I liked what the game does... just not a whole lot. Mostly split opinion, I suppose. Final party was Lenneth/Arngrim/Aelia/Jelanda. Mid-high 7/10 I guess?

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: June 05, 2008, 01:24:47 PM »
Serious Sam: this are serious game.  It's a few hours long!  It throws thousands and thousands of nasties at you and gives you fun weapons to dispatch them with!  This game was a good idea and they executed all the way through on it.  I think FPS gameplay is fun by itself and it's nice not to sit through tacked-on stealth sequences, tacked-on dialogue or for that matter any real storyline either.  THERE ARE ALIENS.  BLOW THEM UP.  YOU ARE HUGE, THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

Shale advised me that Serious Sam: The Second Encounter has a flamethrower added in, so yeah, I'll be grabbing that.  I just got Painkiller, I'll see how that goes, Yahtzee liked it for the same reasons I liked Serious Sam so I'm optimistic.  I'm also grabbing Thief because stealth gameplay that isn't tacked-on can be rad.

TranceHime

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: June 05, 2008, 02:08:14 PM »
Who gives a shit which game "pioneered" what. I wasn't saying Makai Kingdom invented that sort of thing anyways. If we really wanted to get all bitchy about it, Phantom Brave did not come up with that engine first anyways.

Anyways, it's just a game with a whole bunch of cameos. Other then that it doesn't have much substance.

I was just making a side comment.

Did not require such a hostile response.

Well, whatever. I feel like shit anyway, I'm not going to bother dealing with you.
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: June 05, 2008, 02:24:02 PM »

Fall into a pit trap lined with razorwire.  Yay hostility (this is a joke so don't be emo).

Second Encounter is good Otter.  If you ever do a lan thing with friend, Serious Sam with unlimited respawns and ammo is super fucking fun.  Stay away from the console versions and Serious Sam 2, it got Doom 3ish.

Painkiller is good also, I have said this before.  The lightning gun that shoots ninjastars is actually pretty underwhelming, but the other weapons make up for it.

Thief is god.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: June 05, 2008, 02:42:40 PM »
Only played a few quick stages, but I'm already prepared to call the Painkiller melee weapon completely ridiculous.  I love the detachable penis gun too, pinning enemies against walls two or more at a time is awesome, but it's a struggle to come up with times when getting in there with the spinner and mashing everyone to bits wouldn't be a better strategy.  That may change as time goes by!  But it's already pretty remarkable, a lot of FPS games lack noteworthy melee entirely.

TranceHime

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: June 05, 2008, 03:09:24 PM »
Fall into a pit trap lined with razorwire.  Yay hostility (this is a joke so don't be emo).

I can tell which responses are hostile and which are jokes. I'm not as stupid as that. Good to see you tried, though.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: June 05, 2008, 03:09:59 PM »

I was just making a side comment.

Well, whatever. I feel like shit anyway, I'm not going to bother dealing with you.

Aww poor baby. I'm sorry you have to "deal" with me correcting yer correction. Besides, all I did was throw in my own side comment.

For the record; when I thought of the engine, Phantom Brave did come to mind, but I hate referencing games I fucking loathe. And I think PB is a shitty game to boot!

~

Anyways

Chaos Wars:

Nice concept, wish there was more. The game is ridiculously easy. I want to see more companies do collaborations.

Speaking of...where is Namco X Capcom dammit! ; ;

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: June 05, 2008, 04:18:57 PM »
A fan translation has been on the works for NxC for a year, and they have a beta patch with most of it translated. An unofficial translation is pretty much the best you'll get.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: June 05, 2008, 05:47:50 PM »
NxC actually has worth to it, unlike Chaos Wars. The downside is that NxC takes forever to play.

Speaking of which!

NxC: Up to stage 2...7? I'm awaiting my Taki and Morrigan upgrades, game. :/

FE9: C18. So much broken so fast dear jesus.

Endless Frontier: Cruising  through a big evil castle place thing and kicking asses. Reiji for the win.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: June 05, 2008, 06:12:35 PM »
Kingdom of Loathing:  Game continues to be awesome despite MMORPG aspects handicapping it.  Up to level 8 Disco Bandit, finished all the quests I could.  The Tr4pz0r quest was vaguely cool.  It was funny, sure, but kind of disappointing after the pure awesome that was the Cyrpt.  Azazel's quest was good just because now I have more turns per day.  Money is no longer a problem; in addition to my weapon and passive skills giving me more money, I have the leprechaun familiar and my roommate's Accordion thief just got his money-boosting buff.  Will probably have a store in the mall soon.  I should look into places to grind for stats, though, once I have the startup cash.  Treasury is cool, but I level so damn slowly.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: June 05, 2008, 07:00:29 PM »
Endless Frontier: Cruising  through a big evil castle place thing and kicking asses. Reiji for the win.

Who are you using? My final team is Harken/KOS-MOS/Reiji/Shaomu
Kept Harken only for Ramapage Spectre, he is so getting booted if not for that.
KOS-MOS has damage, and her full combo with ultimate hits harder than a hotblooded Rampage Spectre, this is something. Enemy bleeds if Shaomu manages to tag a Soul on to her.
Reiji is... broken. Decent healing, decent support senshin, and Soul just become broken later on. His normal techs also hits too hard and too easy to cancel.
Shaomu has exhaust and wedding gawn, Suzaku Dou is cheap and there is Hot Blood wee.

Also, W07 for the most worthless

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: June 05, 2008, 07:23:52 PM »
Aww poor baby. I'm sorry you have to "deal" with me correcting yer correction. Besides, all I did was throw in my own side comment.

Chill the fuck out.  You're the one acting like a hostile dipshit about this.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: June 06, 2008, 12:01:14 AM »
BvS:  Looped to Season 2.  Went with a RedEye this time, because one of my side goals this season is to be like Orochimaru and learn Every Jutsu In The World.  At least all that aren't bloodline-specific.  Already back to Chunin, enjoying themes very much.  Wish you could combine two of the battle ones instead of the opening and ending ones.

Brawl:  Almost finished with SSE; wandering around the maze at the end.  So far I have to say it's not as good as Melee in general, but I could still change my mind.  I miss the bonuses after battles.  :(

Taishyr

« Reply #2143 on: June 06, 2008, 12:23:27 AM »
Wild Arms 2: beaten, all optionals also beaten. Ragu is a whore, IMPACT BOMBER ;_;. Also lol final.

Strago

• Denizen
  • Scarfregist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: June 06, 2008, 01:33:48 AM »
Kingdom of Loathing:  Game continues to be awesome despite MMORPG aspects handicapping it.  Up to level 8 Disco Bandit, finished all the quests I could.  The Tr4pz0r quest was vaguely cool.  It was funny, sure, but kind of disappointing after the pure awesome that was the Cyrpt.  Azazel's quest was good just because now I have more turns per day.  Money is no longer a problem; in addition to my weapon and passive skills giving me more money, I have the leprechaun familiar and my roommate's Accordion thief just got his money-boosting buff.  Will probably have a store in the mall soon.  I should look into places to grind for stats, though, once I have the startup cash.  Treasury is cool, but I level so damn slowly.

I've got a Level 7 Accordion Thief (one Moxie away from level 8), and I've found the Hidden Temple to be the best place for straight-up stat-grinding.

Almost done with the Cyrpt, myself, and I've found one of Azazel's items. Not sure how many of them there are, but if you get more adventures per day I'm going to finish that one pronto.

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2145 on: June 06, 2008, 03:18:36 AM »
Azazel's thing gives you Liver of Steel, which lets you drink more before being totally drunk. Good for most, amazing for Disco Bandit. I've got a level 8 Turtle Tamer, on my fourth OxyCore ascension. Sorry that being on Hardcore means all my stuff is banked- else I'd attempt to provide material assistance to you guys.

Might as well go on.

BvS: Monochrome is freaking brutal. Finally getting missions done, putting my moon together. Road to Womanhood is actually paying off- I can run Shorty-Sporty-Scary for everything but Gen range, and much more strength overall. Three more allies, a special mission, my Full Moon, and then I can loop to S4. Whiteye again, I suppose, to finish out the cycle, but I'm going to miss the awesome stuff in Redeye. I mean, Fire and the Flames is the most ridiculous bingo Jutsu that ever there was.

Everyday Shooter: Up to level 6 on a normal run. Game is tough but fair, and all in all a weird combination of relaxing and intense. The level-as-song concept isn't just for gimmick's sake. You shooter fans need to take a look at it.

P3:FES: Up to Summer, have Koro and Aigis. Taking a leisurely stroll through on Normal again. I may max social links if I don't screw it up too badly with the ladies. Still as fun as it was first time through.

Taishyr

« Reply #2146 on: June 06, 2008, 03:59:36 AM »
Oh, hell. Might as well restart KoL, but I've no clue what job to take. Preferably not a Mysticality one, I did that the past few times...

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: June 06, 2008, 04:13:46 AM »

I've got a Level 7 Accordion Thief (one Moxie away from level 8), and I've found the Hidden Temple to be the best place for straight-up stat-grinding.

Almost done with the Cyrpt, myself, and I've found one of Azazel's items. Not sure how many of them there are, but if you get more adventures per day I'm going to finish that one pronto.

Yeah, I used the hidden temple a lot early on, and... it was good for stats but sucked ass because I had no money.  I went from 1 to 5 on my first or second day because of it, but got from 5 to 6 in a week because I had to start grinding for money.  I'd prefer a place where I can get Meat and stats, but meh; only good place for that it seems is the top of the mountain, but that's an area geared for much higher levelled characters.

There are 3 of Azazel's items, you get one of them every 10 turns used up in the Deep Fat Friars Copse.  Then follow the demon and drink the Margarita.

What's your (or anybody else's who is currently playing) character's name?  I'd be willing to send some decent (14 turns) cocktailcrafting drinks and help in sending you necessary but annoying-to-get quest items in exchange for Buffs or meat or whatever.  I have a lot of meat so getting many high-tier drink mixing items a day via the mall isn't too bad, especially once I get my Bartender-in-a-Box so drinks don't cost turns anymore.  Might be able to convince roommates to do similar services with potions and crap.

Tai:  I hear Seal Clubber looks fun.  Disco Bandit is pretty awesome, too.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: June 06, 2008, 04:40:35 AM »
So, I've been reading the Ultima LPs, which are generally pretty awesome. As an unfortunate side effect, though, I've found myself replaying...Ultima: Quest of the Avatar on the NES. Y'know, as opposed to one of the good PC installments in the series. The only reasonable explanation for this is that I hate myself, but ultimately I blame Sage for bringing the LPs to my attention in the first place. Two facts reinforce the first theory, however:

I decided to make the Avatar a shepherd.

I've also decided we need a stat-topic for this abortion of a game.

The latter detail basically requires me to level everyone to level eight, which will be a hassle, but hey, this is why we have frameskip (and believe me, I've been using it, as both normal movement and combat are horrifically slow under normal circumstances). I was going to work up the money for the best equips through normal methods as well, but just a couple days of fiddling with the game convinced me of the futility of trying this. The economy in this game hates the player so much that it makes FFXII look downright neighborly. Top-of-the-line equips can cost from 1200 to 7000 gold (each PC can have a melee weapon, a ranged weapon, and a suit of armor equipped; a couple people don't give a shit about melee, though). No random encounter can ever give you more than 99 gold; the amount is randomized and I've had plenty give me single-digit amounts. I'll let you do the math here.

Long story short, I hacked the save file to edit in the best storebought equips, as well as 99 of each reagent and tool. This might seem to defeat the purpose of the exercise (I.E., suffering), but you know what? I'm still gonna have to spend a lot of time maxing everyone's levels, and that'll be plenty painful and time-consuming even with non-fail equips. The funny thing? With money-grinding removed, there is shockingly little left to the actual game. I picked up six of the eight stones in a couple hours.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 04:43:18 AM by El Cideon »

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: June 06, 2008, 06:10:48 AM »

Chill the fuck out.  You're the one acting like a hostile dipshit about this.

Bite me Zenny.

~love Scar