Register

Author Topic: What Games Are You Playing: 2008  (Read 473340 times)

DomaDragoon

• Lazy
  • Denizen
  • Boink.
    • View Profile
Re: What Games Are You Playing: 2008
« Reply #2175 on: June 08, 2008, 05:29:28 PM »
Kirby: Canvas Curse - Beaten. Game was an amusing little time-waster, but it didn't have much in the way of depth.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team - Got to the dungeon where I guess I'll have to beat Zapdos. Main is Mudkip, with Cindequil partner, and I've picked up a Magnemite, Voltorb, and Minun as helpers. Level 13 for main.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: June 08, 2008, 11:23:28 PM »
WAXF: At about Chapter 4-6 or so.  (Minor Spoilers follow).  Iskender Bey just got given back, and so far I'm underwhelmed; I'm probably going to sub in Ragnar over her again.

SSBB: Finally actually built up a bit of enthusiasm about this.  I've been trying to consistently nail the timing for King Dedede's chainthrow, which is difficult enough to keep my focus, and he has a lot of other interesting stuff (WOP, rather unique recovery, Waddle-de management) to think about when I can't nail a grab.  Been playing against the computer, mind you, since I've never successfully gotten an online game to work (people always leave in the lobby and stuff).

Starcraft: A bunch of my TF2 friends have started having Starcraft sessions, and it's gotten me excited about the game again.  I'm in a weird position because there's very few people at my level; there's a couple people significantly better, and a lot of people significantly worse.

TF2: SSBB and Starcraft have cut into my TF2 time noticeably, but I still get a reasonable amount.  My team picked up a player who's sort of all-round excellent (in terms of communication, in terms of playing basically any class, in terms of having a good attitude).  Has more Medic hours than I do (he has 300 hours), and yet I'm not sure I've even seen him play Medic o_O.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: June 09, 2008, 12:45:01 AM »
http://www.grimfandango.net/?page=launcher  That should do the job Otter.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: June 09, 2008, 12:51:14 AM »
;____; MC is the last person here I haven't Brawled here (besides OK BUT OK DOESN'T COUNT BECAUSE HE'S TOO BUSY BEING AN EVIL DOCTOR or something).  Let me know if you ever get it working.

Ahem,  I got my PSP back so I'm about to finish FFT:TLW.  I tried some multiplayer battles with a friend and so far they're pretty easy with usual FFT cheese.  I heard there's a 10 ARGATH BATTLE.  Neph, you reading this? </shameless plug for Dungeon material>

Oh yeah, my 360 has 3 red rings... After 2 months of purchase.....and I haven't even played much of it outside of long spurts of GTA4.  FAIL Microsoft.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: June 09, 2008, 02:10:19 AM »
Final Fantasy 12 Revenant Wings: Finished!  I think I'll rant in a simple Pros then Cons style!

Pros:
-Core gameplay.  Was worried at first, but thing worked its way nicely and such.
-Bringing back the usual Esper faces.  Call me a sap, but the likes of Ifrit, Shiva, Bahamut, Ramuh, etc. are always nice to see return!  FF12 having them as mere Airships felt disappointing and such.
-BASCH LIVES!!!!!!
-Weapon Customization and renaming!
-Existence of Gilgamesh
-PC Bagammon.  What?
-Using Basch's new end game design.  Seeing him in that outfit and new hairstyle was neat and all, for all that he didn't quite feel like Basch.
-The very last map.  Cute way to have all 9 PCs fight at once, and it was stylish.

Cons:
-Plot. Its cliched beyond reason, and pretty much expected, etc.  The only thing that was kind of neat was how the game goes from "Save ze Auraliths!" to "Destroy the Auraliths!" once you learn the truth about them.
-Ashe and Basch's role in the game.  Lets not mince words; they were forced in.  It was pretty much "the other 4 are here, as well as a few NPCs like Kytes, lets toss in those two for a reuniting the whole gang!"  Ashe and Basch could have been replaced with any damn character, and nothing would have changed.  What about the others?  Penelo is the whole Best/Girlfriend of Vaan thing, so that's only logical.  The game plays quite a bit about Sky Pirates, so Balthier and Fran are pretty much just shoe-ins based on that alone (and the beginning of the game worked them in anyway so that they wouldn't be forced in later.)  They tried to get Basch, Ashe, and Larsa into the game by saying "Now Ivalice cares! The Queen and Emperor of the two main countries in Ivalice want in to help, and they brought a Judge with them too!"
-Penelo.  Just...Penelo.  Everything about her, excluding Gameplay, was horrible.  In esscence she's Akane Tendo, except, you know, NOT FUNNY...and Akane was probably the least funny of the main characters in Ranma 1/2 anyway (this may not necessarily be an insult given what Manga I'm referring too <.<.) Her new design was atrocious.  Yeah, I know; they wanted to make her look more like an adult, and less like a little girl, but...umm...did it need to be a fanservice outfit, and with a horrible hairstyle?  Also, her dancing is very much unattractive <_<
-Some map designs.  Mydia was a retarded fight the second time over; she can completely decimate your team without noticing, even if you blitz her.  The final map was alright until near the end; yes, ok, I'm fine with you summoning Bahamut mid fight, and having a scare moment...BUT DON'T START WHIPPING OUT THIS MASSIVE DEATH BEAM THAT OHKOS ALL CARBUNCLES AND PENELO (the healers.)  I had to resort to a long boring strategy of repeatedly send my level 3 (Chaos in the winning run) to attack until Bahamut came out, have Bahamut attack my main force away from the boss, beat him, send all my Espers at the final boss.  Boring and stupid, and took too long.
-Too many ranged PCs.  Ok, Penelo I'll let slide; she's ranged only in the Weapon Triangle sense for defensive purposes (and later, for Holy); otherwise, she's a healer and serves a completely different purpose.  Otherwise? 2 Melee PCs (both good!), 2 Flying PCs (one really good, one garbage), and *4* Ranged PCs.  ARGH!  Yeah, some had quirks...some...yeah, needed at least one more Melee (Bagammon could have been a perm PC maybe????), or another Flier (uhh...LARSA! Yeah, no clue how that'd work.)

...I'm running out of things to talk about.  So...uhh...5/10? 6/10? Something like that!
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: June 09, 2008, 04:01:38 AM »
I'll add in one more pro. The dialogues they have when you walks around in the air ship are somewhat funny.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2181 on: June 09, 2008, 06:34:51 AM »
;____; MC is the last person here I haven't Brawled here (besides OK BUT OK DOESN'T COUNT BECAUSE HE'S TOO BUSY BEING AN EVIL DOCTOR or something).  Let me know if you ever get it working.

(Ahem).

Not that I want to, but I choose to object solely out of principle.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: June 09, 2008, 08:40:58 AM »
Legend 2: Finished.

The puzzle I was stuck on in Guidato was simple and I am ashamed that I failed at it ._. Guidato was pretty fun in general anyway, although the second floor wasn't that great.

Went back to Iyoto and scoured the place for a missed Lost Key and found one in a completely obvious location which just adds to my failure. Tssk. In any case it gave off the Dissolution Sword which does in fact cast F/S/SM Disrupt and had me giggling out loud for quite some time. The 'Zerker effectively soloed the most of the rest of the game because this is flagrantly broken (also it hits through magic immunity, so I didn't want my other characters anywhere near the battle. They still ended up dying a lot as the battle came to them anyway >_>).

So we made the Amulet and summoned the Eternal Champion and no-one would ever have guessed that it was a trap considering there was a dungeon we hadn't done yet -_- Nice to see a face from Legend 1, even if they mucked up his story (sealed for centuries??). The final dungeon was a nice change considering that the majority of floors in this game had been pretty linear which was somewhat annoying. To be fair I don't remember most of the floors in Legend 1, I know that some of them were linear city (Balenhalm, among others) but I know it had at least one floor which wasn't (Guild floor 2). Final puzzle was pretty nice too, and stumped me for a bit until I realised there was nothing stopping me having a person halfway through. Final battle meanwhile was a good deal easier than Legend 1's which is a bit of a letdown.

It is somewhat disappointing that the designers fell off the face of the planet as opposed to making the other three sequels they were apparently supposed to be doing...

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: June 09, 2008, 08:58:36 AM »
I deleted your FC Rob because I needed the space (64 FC is SO small) IIRC, so I just forgot about you.

I managed to salvage my TV from the water, so I'm finishing P3 FES The Answer right now.   Pretty boring with all the grinding and it's not as hard as I thought.  Sticking with Aigis/Mitsuru/Ken/Junpei right now.  I figure I should give Junpei another shot givin he's still the LVP.

Oh yeah, I picked up Chaos Wars too and yes, it has by far the cheapest packaging ever.  I'll probably blitz through the game with codes because just from the manual, the game sounds like a Hoshi-level trainwreck.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: June 09, 2008, 04:54:39 PM »
WA4 - Get equipped with Macha Brand. Just around the time where the randoms stop failing at offense, too. I love this game. <3
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: June 09, 2008, 07:39:27 PM »
Yeah, I know; they wanted to make her look more like an adult, and less like a little girl, but...umm...did it need to be a fanservice outfit, and with a horrible hairstyle? 

She has a worse hairstyle than the FF 12 retard bangs and Pipi Longstocking braids?
...into the nightfall.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: June 09, 2008, 09:02:11 PM »
Oh yeah, I picked up Chaos Wars too and yes, it has by far the cheapest packaging ever.  I'll probably blitz through the game with codes because just from the manual, the game sounds like a Hoshi-level trainwreck.

The new copy of Odin Sphere I picked up yesterday had the same packaging as well, so I think it may be becoming a standard...

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: June 10, 2008, 06:43:15 AM »
Persona 3: Up to... June 8th I think? Maxed out Chariot S. Link, working with Jack Frost, Chimera, Pyro Jack, and Lilim right now. Better update when I'm not up way too damn late.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: June 10, 2008, 07:29:38 AM »
Glory of Heracles- For the sake of music, I am playing this

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: June 10, 2008, 08:47:59 AM »
I'm so starting Chaos Wars now. Rob, I highly recommend you try it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAtC1SzWSXg

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2190 on: June 10, 2008, 08:51:15 AM »
I honestly think a fandub would have been better for the game.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: June 10, 2008, 09:11:31 AM »
Did they have to hire retards for the voice acting?
...into the nightfall.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2192 on: June 10, 2008, 10:26:06 AM »
That clip made me want to go play Fuck Myself With a Sideways Broom. Shadow Hearts 2 turning in to whatever the fuck that was is like watching some prom kid have his drunken way with your sister.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: June 10, 2008, 12:12:31 PM »
I'm so starting Chaos Wars now. Rob, I highly recommend you try it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAtC1SzWSXg

.......... I'm stunned. Really.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: June 10, 2008, 12:21:55 PM »
OH MY GOD SOMETHING GOT TURNED INTO AN SRPG AND IT ENDED UP SHIT.  I am shocked.  The genre sets high standards.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: June 10, 2008, 03:11:41 PM »
TWEWY: Hit A rank in ESPer points. Not going to go for star rank any time soon as I said. Also finished mastering pins! Ramble mode on.

so
you've all heard all the horror stories
pinvolution is the second coming of pokemon evolutions and all that jazz
there I was all hyped up to
see
for myself
the sheer terror without reading any guides
first off
ingame the first thing they tell you regarding
pinvolution
is that it's to do with the sort of PP you feed them
they also give you a primer on the different sorts, for those who aren't up on this those are
battle (easy to get)
mingle (easy to get in the non-JP versions even if you don't know anyone)
shutdown (medium to get but only because it takes so long)
so this is all fair enough
there are
many different things they could do with this setup that are
gibber-causing
get the pin's first level with only battle pp and second level with only mingle pp and so on
and so forth
much later in the game we get more information that it's
in fact to do with the ratio of different types of pp, supposedly
which cuts down on the potential insanity some but still leaves open
the possibility
for say pin x needs 30% battle pp 20% mingle pp 50% shutdown pp

however as it turns out
the whole thing is effectively freakishly simple
and can in no way be described as brain-damaged.

your pins will evolve or not
depending on which type of PP is in the majority at the time
they're mastered
that
is it (not really but we will come to this)
so if your pin is supposed to evolve
(and they TELL you if a pin can evolve)
and it doesn't evolve on battle pp
you just rotate another into your mingle set
and if it doesn't evolve then
you rotate another into your shutdown set
no faqs necessary
no insane convulutions necessary
no brain necessary

now as it turns out
mingle and shutdown pp are actually worth
like five times as much as you actually have
when it comes to figuring out which sort of pp is in majority
so it's not even like you have to wait for aeons for a pin
to run through shutdown/mingle
you just get it a quarter of the way or so and you can blast the rest of it up with battle pp
it's like they went out of their way
to make a freakishly simple system
even damned simpler
the only way they could have gone past this is if they explicitly told you what sort of pp you needed

in summary
some people are weird

Been playing through Wario: Master of Disguise. Decentish, although the constant minigames are getting on my goat (and there's only 7-odd different types which doesn't help matters ._.). Feels somewhat like a cross between Wario World and Wario Land 3, neither of which were especially good Wario games to begin with. The treasure descriptions/etc are probably the best part of the game as far as I'm concerned so far. In any case, I just beat the pyramid level.

Rozalia

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: June 10, 2008, 03:24:30 PM »
OH MY GOD SOMETHING GOT TURNED INTO AN SRPG AND IT ENDED UP SHIT.  I am shocked.  The genre sets high standards.

Its not that I'm stunned at. I'm stunned on whoever thought those voices were a good idea.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: June 10, 2008, 03:35:59 PM »
OH MY GOD SOMETHING GOT VOICE ACTING IN AN RPG AND IT ENDED UP SHIT.  I am shocked.  The genre sets high standards.

Edit - Of course it goes without saying that this is a joke.  Consider the requisite "It is a joke don't get your panties in a twist" disclaimer, you know just in case.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: June 10, 2008, 04:08:18 PM »
...that VOice Acting...umm...

"Uru" = Flamer.  No, there's no real way around admitting that.  The voice is very flaming.
Karen = Girl reading from a script for the first time.
Nicole = The step up from Karen; has read the script before, and is just NOW starting to put some actual feel into it...just starting mind, so there's very little.
The others = Generic Early Dub Crap.

also, that has to be the weirdest pronunciation of "YEEEAAAAAAAHHHH!!!" I've heard <_<

If nothing else, you guys convinced me that if I ever play this game, I'll play it in the Japanese voice acting.  Bad Sounding Japanese isn't as bad as bad sounding english cause you typically can't tell IF its bad or not (beyond voices uses, naturally) in many cases!
(I'm not saying Japanese > English voices in general, I'm saying that typically, bad sounding Japanese comes off as better cause when its a foreign language, its harder to tell that its actually bad.  Similarly, its easier to appreciate good voice acting in English than in Japanese, by the same logic.)

Also, I'm convinced the voices were done by random hobos on the street who were given a sandwich for each scene they did.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 04:10:35 PM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: June 10, 2008, 04:41:22 PM »
Apparently it was (http://www.insertcredit.com/archives/002396.html) The CEO's family rather than hobos. So, there you go.